When he feel like it
0 (0%)
Maybe in a next life
0 (0%)
Dah is dem other fellas job
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: November 24, 2017, 09:29:40 PM

Author Topic: Joevin Jones Thread  (Read 98849 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
Plenty praise for Jones this week

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/04/05/armchair-analyst-midfield-struggles-tissue-issue-more-week-5

5. I'm starting to come around on the Chicago Fire, and you should, too. I wrote a bit about their 3-2 win over Toronto FC on Saturday, and have generally heaped praise upon Harry Shipp and Matt Polster over the last couple of weeks.

I'd be remiss not to include Joevin Jones in that list of young, promising building blocks in the Windy City. He's been excellent at both left midfield and left back, on both sides of the ball.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
VOTE NOW for Joevin Jones’ goal as MLS Goal of the Week: Week 5
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/04/06/vote-now-2015-att-mls-goal-week-week-5
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »
Chicago Fire boosted by contributions of versatile newcomer Joevin Jones: "He has shown his quality"
By Shane Murray (MLSsoccer.com)

After making an immediate impact early in his debut MLS campaign, Chicago Fire head coach Frank Yallop believes offseason acquisition Joevin Jones "has the talent to really go places."

Of the 13 new additions to the Fire roster this season, Jones' arrival certainly went under the radar amongst the Fire fanbase.

However, a string of impressive performances – at both left back and left midfield – has immediately established the Trinidad & Tobago international as a fixture in Yallop’s team and a firm favorite with teammates and fans alike.

“I think from day one he has shown his quality,” Yallop told MLSsoccer.com after practice at a rain-soaked Toyota Park Thursday. “And it’s not just in matches he’s very good, in training too he’s very clean on the ball, engaged in everything we’re trying to do defensively and offensively, and he’s very easily coached. I’m very happy for him, he’s a good kid and he has the talent to really go places.”

Where that talent takes the versatile 23-year-old remains to be seen, but for now the Fire players are relishing the opportunity to work alongside a man playing so well, and so quickly.

“He’s so creative,” attacker Harry Shipp enthused. “He’s a defender but he’s got a much more attacking brain than most defenders do in this league. He can pick out a pass, he can beat a guy off the dribble and get a cross in. So I think his versatility is going to be pretty big for us.”

That attacking threat has been instrumental in the Fire’s recent resurgence after opening with three defeats, and the danger he presents to opposing defenses is illustrated by the fact he is the Fire’s second-most fouled player (eight) after perennial target Quincy Amarikwa (22).

“He’s played two different spots and done really well at both,” captain Jeff Larentowicz added. “I don’t think it’s easy to go from an attacker to a defender from game to game and he’s done it pretty well. When he’s attacked, he’s set up a goal in San Jose and scored against Toronto, and when he’s defended he’s done really well, so he’s been very good for us.”

The former W Connection (Trinidad & Tobago) and HJK Helsinki (Finland) player has been enjoying life in MLS and Chicago, and admits to being impressed by the standard he has seen in the opening five rounds.

“I think things are going great so far, I’ve had a tremendous start to my season and I want to keep that going,” Jones, whose first MLS goal against Toronto on Saturday was an AT&T Goal of the Week nominee, told MLSsoccer.com. “As a defender, when you assist and you score it’s a big plus to you and it motivates you a lot.”

Jones deputized with aplomb on the left wing for the injured David Accam, a fellow newcomer, in the opening few games, but the Ghanaian’s return to fitness has energized the squad and been a pivotal factor in the Fire’s back-to-back wins against the Philadelphia Union and Toronto FC.

“I think Joevin is a fantastic player. He has technique, pace and he knows what he wants to do on the pitch,” Accam said of his new teammate. “For me on the left wing, it’s also good so we can both help each other develop and also help the club to win games.”

And while Jones’ immediate focus is on continuing the Fire’s upward revival, he also has one eye on this summer’s Gold Cup, in which he sees Trinidad & Tobago mounting a stronger challenge after falling at the quarterfinal stage in 2013 following a 1-0 defeat by Mexico.

“I think we have a better squad this time around and I think we can reach through to the semifinals or the final this time around,” the 37-times capped Jones insisted.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
good report for us..well done Jones.. :applause:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones finding his form in Chicago
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
Jones finding his form in Chicago
By Jeff Krause (Chicago Fire Confidential)

When the Fire closed the book on their 2014 season supporters knew wholesale changes were in store for a team that struggled to a 6-10-18 finish. The departure of familiar names like Bakary Soumare, Gonzalo Segares, and Steven Kinney gave way to new players coming in, many of whom were unfamiliar to most Fire fans, including Trinidad and Tobago's Joevin Jones.

Jones, a 23-year old who went pro at the age of 19, and saw his first cap for his home country at age 20 , has shown his versatility early on for the Fire, spending time at both left back, as well as in the midfield. “I've been focusing on training hard, and I have certain goals I've set for this season,” Jones told Fire Confidential after training on Tuesday. “I've been settling in okay so far, I just want to keep playing hard, and working hard in training....I want to have a certain amount of assists and goals this season, and I want to be the Best Newcomer to the league this year.”

That's certainly a tall task, given newcomers to the league like David Villa, Kaka, and eventually Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard, but Jones' work towards those goals is paying dividends regardless. In his first five games, he has already registered on the stat sheet for the Fire, earning an assist on Harry Shipp's first goal of the season against San Jose, and scoring a goal worthy of a MLS Goal of the Week nomination in Chicago's 3-2 win against Toronto FC.

“I had trials at Toronto FC and Colorado (before), that did not go through...I've been trying to come to MLS for three or four years now. It's a pleasure for me to be here, finally. ”

Part of Jones' success can be attributed to what seems to be a smooth transition to MLS from Trinidad & Tobago's Pro League. While every foreign player seems to handle a move to MLS differently, Jones' success comes not only from his pedigree as a leader during his time at W Connection, but also as son to Kelvin Jones, who also played for Trinidad and Tobago's national team and was part of T&T's “Strike Squad,” a team that faced the USMNT in a November 1989 World Cup Qualifier that served to unite his home country.

“I think football is just in our blood. I always wanted to follow my father's footsteps and make my family proud, to reach on the big stage......I'm happy to be here in Chicago.”

Frank Yallop has already given Jones praise numerous times early on in the season, and sees him as an integral part of the Fire's push for success in 2015. “I like him,” Yallop told reporters last week when asked about Jones' play. “His teammates enjoy the way he plays and he slowly but surely is going more and more into the games for longer spells. I think JJ is settled in, and is starting to really pick up his game.”

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
JJ...JJ is settled in...seems like it...good stuff...I like this fella ball playing as well...very talented!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Exclusive Interview - Joevin Jones
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 04:26:11 PM »
Exclusive Interview - Joevin Jones
frontrowsoccer.com

We recently had the chance to speak with Chicago Fire Rookie Joevin Jones. He is a Trinidadian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for the Chicago Fire and also represents the Trinidad and Tobago national team primarily playing as a left-wing back.

With this being your first year with the Chicago Fire how do you expect to do with the team, and what hopes do you have for team itself throughout the season?
I expect to do well this season with Chicago Fire it’s my first year, as you can see I’m doing great so far. I expect us to make the playoffs this time around.

You scored your first goal with the team and in the MLS against Toronto earlier this year, can it describe how you felt during it?
Scoring my first goal against Toronto it had a lot of meaning time behind it. A couple of years ago I had a trials with Toronto, things didn’t work out so I had a point to prove to them. Also, my mom and girlfriend had called me like the day before the game and saying they want me to score a goal for them. It was also a point to make a name for myself in the MLS. It was one of my greatest moment in my football career, it was a wonderful feeling on that day by scoring my first goal at home and getting 3 points on that day.

What goals have you set for yourself in the future of your career and how much of that involves being in the MLS?
My goal this year is to do well in the MLS and after the season see where it takes me. All players have dreams to play in top leagues. I’m not God, I don’t know where I will end up at the end of the season, if I do stay in the MLS I wouldn’t be vexed with myself cause the MLS is a great league to play in.

You’ve also played over in Europe for HJK Helinski in Finland, can you describe the difference in style of play between there and the MLS, if there is any?
Finland league is more Europe style more passing game trying to break you down to score, and more technical. The style [Of the MLS] is not bad, teams try to pass the ball but not as much. It [Finland] is more running and aggressive, but it’s a difficult league to play in.

Playing for Trinidad and Tobago and playing in the Gold Cup this year, what goals have you and your teammates set for yourselves for the International Team?
I think we have a great bunch of players this time around to reach the knockout stage, we are really looking to the Gold Cup as also part of our preparation for our World Cup Qualifiers later this year.

If you play FIFA, do you ever play as yourself in game, and what does it feel like to know that you’re in a video game now?
I feel great knowing that I’m in the game but I never played.

We would like to thank Joevin for his time and Andrew of @OnlyMLS on Instagram for the interview.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
VOTE for Joevin Jones to be included in the 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Fan XI
http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2015/vote

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 02:21:00 AM »
Joevin's fine Gold Cup run.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

It's perhaps his best run in an international football so far. Some may argue that we still haven't seen the best of Joevin Jones but his performances in this country's two victories at the CONCACAF Gold Cup have been nothing but impressive with a high work rate.

Jones has been one of the more sort after players by the media at the tournament and seems to be enjoying the moments so far going back to Chicago, Phoenix and now Charlotte as the T&T team prepared for last night's encounter with Mexico.

"It's a great feeling but I'm just being me. I'm enjoying the Gold Cup. We are playing well and everyone is enjoying the run at the moment. I'm feeling really good right now but the job is not over. We still want to achieve more success here," Jones said on Tuesday.

Coach Stephen Hart believes the Chicago Fire and former W Connection player is beginning to come into his own.

"He's miserable off the field of play but he's a joy to have around. He's one of those players you need in your team, you need in the dressing room. And when he's on the field he expresses himself the way you want and he's enjoying it and making a valuable contribution to the team. That's what you want from players especially in a tournament when there's a lot happening in terms of preparation, travel and gamedays," Hart said.

The 23-year-old has played 43 matches for T&T and he wants to get closer to the 50-match mark at this Gold Cup.

"We have more games to go and I want to try and help us go all the way. I believe we have a great chance to move on and at least get to the semi finals. It's a lot of work ahead still but we can do it," Jones said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After successful Gold Cup, Joevin Jones hopes to carry momentum to Chicago Fire
By Shane Murray (MLSsoccer.com)

Fresh from inspiring his native Trinidad & Tobago to the brink of a Gold Cup semifinal, the Chicago Fire’s Joevin Jones is keen to keep his own momentum going and help turn around the Men in Red’s season.

The 23-year-old returned from a six-week absence to play a pivotal role in Wednesday’s exciting 3-1 US Open Cup quarterfinal victory over Orlando City SC, and he believes that win has changed the mood in the locker room ahead of Saturday’s key clash with Eastern Conference rivals New England Revolution (8:30 pm ET; MLS LIVE).

“From winning 3-1 on Wednesday it gave us more vibes,” Jones told MLSsoccer.com on Friday. “You could see the vibes in the locker room are different, and going into this game everyone has a more positive mind on Saturday and hopefully we come out with the win and move on.”

The versatile Jones has impressed at left back and left midfield since joining the Fire from W Connection in Trinidad & Tobago ahead of the season, and he continued that form into the Gold Cup, where the Soca Warriors were eliminated on penalties by Panama, 6-5, after a 1-1 draw in the quarterfinals last weekend.

“I think the Gold Cup was a learning experience for me; I gained a lot of experience playing against tough opposition like Mexico, Panama and Guatemala. It was a good experience for me,” Jones said. “I think I had a pretty OK tournament. I think I could have done better, but I did what I had to do.”

Jones excelled with his typical high-tempo, attack-minded play from left back, while he showed remarkable calm and focus to set up the game-tying goal from a last-minute corner kick in a thrilling 4-4 draw with Mexico that gave Trinidad & Tobago the top spot in Group C.

“When I was going to kick the corner there was a lot of pressure,” he said. “But once I blanked out the crowd and focused on getting the ball in the right area, I was able to do that, and it was great to gain a goal from it.”

Jones will be looking to build on his formidable partnership with Ghanaian winger David Accam, who is also returning to the mix after an injury, for the second half of the season. It’s a partnership that excites head coach Frank Yallop.

“He’s if not [the best] pretty close to being the best left back in the league,” Yallop said. “He had a good Gold Cup; he’s pleased to be back with us. I think he looked a little bit tired the other night, but he’s had a lot of travel, a lot of games, a lot of emotion that goes into a tournament, and I want to give him some time next week to gather his thoughts. But hopefully he can a very good game on the weekend, and I think with him and David together they’re pretty formidable down that side.”

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
Nice to get rated as close to the best left back in the league!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 02:42:41 AM »
Chicago coach says Joevin close to being MLS best left back.

Chicago Fire head coach Frank Yallop is backing Joevin Jones to becoming the best left back in American Major League Soccer (MLS). Yallop was speaking recently as he looked back at Jones’ performance at the Concacaf Gold Cup for this country.

Jones was an integral part of the team’s strong run which saw them reach the quarterfinals. He delivered the left side corner which led to Yohance Marshall’s brilliant last gasp equaliser in the 4-4 draw with Mexico.

“He’s if not [the best] pretty close to being the best left back in the league,” Yallop said.

“He had a good Gold Cup; he’s pleased to be back with us. I think he looked a little bit tired the other night, but he’s had a lot of travel, a lot of games, a lot of emotion that goes into a tournament, and I want to give him some time next week to gather his thoughts.

But hopefully he can a very good game on the weekend, and I think with him and David together they’re pretty formidable down that side.”

Jones said he was humbled by the experience of the Gold Cup.

“I think the Gold Cup was a learning experience for me but it was quite good because we were able to do well against teams like Mexico and Guatemala which we will face in the World Cup qualifiers. I intend to just keep learning and working hard. I want to keep improving and hopefully this will see me rising and doing well both for club and country,” Jones said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 05:25:03 AM »
I am glad to hear that. But wait until the season done, nah.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:12 AM »
During the GC I didn't really observe his defensive game nah.  He fast so he can run down attackers.
Is a good thing for us that he can play left mid so well but I wonder which position he prefers.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
Funny, JJ was pilloried on this forum when he failed to make impressions on two previous overseas trials. Third time is a charm. Go JJ.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
During the GC I didn't really observe his defensive game nah.  He fast so he can run down attackers.
Is a good thing for us that he can play left mid so well but I wonder which position he prefers.
He didn't play left wing back at the GC but his defensive work (recovery in particular) at the GC was not a strength.

I believe he prefers left midfield or even striker......but he'll play wherever to benefit the team
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
Just read that Daniel Cyrus is at Chicago fire on loan now until December where he'll have the opportunity to sign a permanent deal....great stuff for the individual and the national team! Great news!

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
imagine if they had their best games..especially Cyrus..they can both be a real force, and good development too

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
Fantastic news!  Imagine them men coming up against Drogba, Pirlo, Villa, Kaka, Gerrard.
He better grab this opportunity with both feet.  ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
WATCH LIVE: Joevin Jones and the Chicago Fire vs Philadelphia Union in the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal. Game is in progress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIjclrn5u8

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
Philly won 1-0. Joevin was alright. His team struggled. Phily goes to the U.S. Open Cup final.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
Philly vs Kansas City in the final.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 02:20:17 AM »
Joevin: It was my range.

Chicago Fire Joevin Jones says he knew from the moment the free kick was awarded during the second half of the recent international friendly with Mexico that it was his for the taking.

The former W Connection man struck a left footer which flew into the right corner of the net to put T&T 3-2 ahead in another exhilarating contest with “El Tri” last Friday at the Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake City. That was his second goal for T&T in 46 appearances.

“Once the referee blew for the foul and I saw where it was I knew that was my range. I’ve scored those before. The momentum was there. We were having a good game and it just felt perfect at the time,” Jones said.

“Evidently, the execution was perfect and it put T&T back into the lead before the Mexicans rallied to grab a late equaliser.

“It was disappointing not to hold on for the win but the good thing is we never cracked during the game. Even when they came back to level it we kept our heads and we kept playing which is the way these games are helping us. We have a bit of work to do still for the qualifiers but I’m feeling good at the moment about where the team is heading.”

Offline Fyzo10

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
Is he injured or something? He hasn't been starting in the last few games for Chicago Fire.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
Is he injured or something? He hasn't been starting in the last few games for Chicago Fire.

No, he's been turning in some mediocre performances of late, plus de coach who brought him to Chicago just got fired.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Joevin came on second half for Chicago v Toronto. He had a beautiful move just outside the box; skills and some speed.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones to the bench
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2015, 03:53:18 PM »
Jones to the bench

Joevin Jones has apparently lost his starting spot at left back under Bliss but may return to the position soon. His flexibility and offensive ability has kept him in the mix however, despite the recent dip in form. “Joevin plays really three spots. He can play internally. He can play left mid. He can play left back, depending on if he’s coming off his former club team at W Connection, his national team, or he’s played with us. He’s got some versatility. After he’s come back from the Gold Cup, it’s no secret, he hasn’t been in his top form like he was prior,” said Bliss. “I figured I’d try to give him a break and put him into the line-up as a sub in maybe a couple of other places we know he can play just to see if he could find a little bit of form and find his game. I thought he did okay in the Toronto game coming off the bench actually. He gave us a couple of plays that led to some stuff. I would think somewhere along the line in those last three games you’ll probably see him back at left back, doing what he was capable of doing in the first half of the season.”

http://www.chicagonow.com/fire-confidential/2015/09/fire-notebook-bliss-on-shipps-best-position-gilberto-tactics-more/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 05:37:37 AM »
WATCH: Chicago Fire’s head coach, Brian Bliss, says Joevin Jones was the club’s best player on the field during the first half of the match against New England Revolution
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TC6Iy0jhR7Q?start=58" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TC6Iy0jhR7Q?start=58</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 07:41:39 AM »
Joevin Jones named as one of the ten best left backs in the MLS. Goal.com says “Joevin Jones is a real threat going forward, finishing second among all defenders with 32 chances created”
http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2015/11/11/17204852/goal-usas-position-by-position-mls-player-rankings

1]; } ?>