When he feel like it
0 (0%)
Maybe in a next life
0 (0%)
Dah is dem other fellas job
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: November 24, 2017, 09:29:40 PM

Author Topic: Joevin Jones Thread  (Read 98142 times)

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »
Staying in a league were you are already the best is a waste of time especially at his age there is nothing more he can gain in this league.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
that might be true if the league was staying the same.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
Staying in a league were you are already the best is a waste of time especially at his age there is nothing more he can gain in this league.
so what is yuh suggestion for Lukaku ? buss it and go TT Pro League ? or Italy or Spain...to arse with non-contract

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
so what is yuh suggestion for Lukaku ? buss it and go TT Pro League ? or Italy or Spain...to arse with non-contract

Subtle oppression.. jones should be at a top flight club, I've seen average players playing at top clubs that makes you wonder sometimes how they got there, then you realize in the grand scheme of things, keeping the Caribbean players at a certain level, suits the agenda

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
Joevin had 2 assists yesterday against New England Revolution
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
For Sounders’ Joevin Jones, soccer was always a family affair
« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
For Sounders’ Joevin Jones, soccer was always a family affair
By Geoff Baker (Seattle Times)

For Joevin Jones, post-soccer match dinners at his family’s home in Trinidad and Tobago were less about eating than teachable moments.

From age 11 until well after his professional career began at 19, Jones, his younger brother Alvin, older brother Marvin and their parents would sit around the table dissecting their games. One by one, each offered some compliments, but most often criticism about areas of needed improvement.

“We used to watch one another’s games and say where we went wrong,’’ said Jones, 25, the Sounders’ left back now drawing raves for his two-way play. “What we needed to work on and stuff like that. And then, the next day, we’d go out to a field and work on things.’’

Throw in their father, Kelvin, being a famous former national-team member — part of the country’s legendary “Strike Squad” that barely missed qualifying for the 1990 World Cup — and the dinner critiques became pointed indeed. Even their mother, Merlin, a former netball player at the country’s highest level, wasn’t beyond a barb or two.

“She watched all of my games,’’ Jones said. “And if she didn’t like how I played, she would tell me straight up. I liked her for that. She’d tell me what I did wrong. If I didn’t have a good game, she’d tell me she wasted her time coming to watch me. Again, I liked her for that. Every time I play, I think about her.’’

Jones said his family had his best wishes at heart. The three brothers wanted to follow dad as pros — and eventually did — but both parents knew the sacrifices that entailed. And so, early mornings, his father would wake the boys at their hillside home in the fishing village of Carenage and take them training with him.

They’d head for the steep hills nearby for sprints to the top followed by a jog back down. Sometimes, they’d go to an open field to work on ball-control skills.

“He’d show us how to trap the ball,’’ Jones said. “How to screen the ball and stuff like that. They were simple drills growing up as a kid.’’

But nothing was simple when your dad was a household name, easily recognized by soccer-crazed fans on the street. The national team “Strike Squad” of 1989 had captured and broken the tiny country’s heart when — needing just a one-point draw to qualify for the 1990 World Cup in Italy — it lost 1-0 at home to the U.S.

It took another 17 years before Trinidad and Tobago reached its first World Cup. Nonetheless, the 1989 team galvanized the often divided, twin-island nation of 1.36 million inhabitants like never before, its players still celebrated as soccer folk heroes.

Being his father’s son, Jones was quickly targeted for success. He’d grown up watching favorite player Cristiano Ronaldo playing in Europe for Sporting Lisbon on a local TV channel. Rather than be jealous of Jones and his pedigree, local soccer hounds supported and pushed him to achieve bigger things like getting overseas to join Ronaldo in a top European league.

His father said a professional coach in Trinidad told him early on that Joevin had the soccer “intelligence” to play overseas if he harnessed his talent.

“I did things to help all of them,’’ said Kelvin Jones, 55, now retired from soccer and working as a police officer. “They wanted me to help make them better to reach their goals.’’

Even now, he adds, he’ll watch Sounders games on TV and phone his son right after.

“I also played left back,’’ he said. “And I used to score goals all the time. Sometimes, I’ll see him get inside the box and he tries to set the ball up for somebody else. I’ll tell him, ‘Shoot the ball! Take the bull by the horns.’ ’’

And Joevin Jones doesn’t mind the fatherly advice. After all, his older brother, Marvin, 36, went on to play professionally in Trinidad. So has younger brother Alvin, 22.

Joevin Jones had a pair of assists in the Sounders’ 3-3 draw against New England at CenturyLink Field on Saturday night.

Instead of feeling pressure following in his famous father’s footsteps, Jones accepted his destiny was to do bigger things. Some say it gave him a “chip” or “edge” to where his first pro contract at 19 with the local W Connection squad wasn’t good enough.

Five seasons later, it was on to a six-month loan to a club in Helsinki and then, his first Major League Soccer job with the Chicago Fire. Jones was traded to Seattle last year and by midsummer began demonstrating the rapid-fire transition game that helped lead the Sounders to their first MLS Cup championship.

Jones, with his speed, ball movement and powerful left-footed shot, is now quietly discussed as arguably the league’s best left back. And he won’t argue.

“In this league, I don’t think people rate me as high as where I should be,’’ Jones said.

But he said it’s good.

“Growing up, I always liked to be the underdog player,’’ he said.

Not that he really ever was. Somewhat of a class clown, whose mouth and pranks sometimes landed him in hot water, Jones excelled at sports. He feels he could have turned pro in cricket, but his soccer skills were too good.

His younger brother, Alvin, agrees their father’s critiques kept both from getting swelled heads.

“He would tell us all of our mistakes and then the good,’’ he said. “But he mostly used to dwell on the mistakes because he wanted us to correct it and be better players. But we never took it the wrong way.’’

And like their father, both brothers now play for the country’s “Soca Warriors’’ national side. Alvin said his MLS-playing brother is deliberately guarded, letting only close friends see his true prankster nature.

“You’ll be in the mall and he’ll push you into somebody and laugh about it,’’ he said. “In the grocery store, he’ll push his trolley into you.’’

Laughing, he adds: “It’s a good thing he’s serious with most people because the kind of stuff he’ll do, you’d want to get back at him. But if you know him, you just have to laugh.’’

In Seattle, Jones keeps a low public profile, preferring outings at the Woodland Park Zoo, a mall or a park with his family — consisting of his girlfriend, Sade, and her three children. They met three years ago in Trinidad and the children “are like my own.’’

But whether they’ll stay here is a different matter. Jones feels he’s close to a crack at Europe and plans to “work harder’’ at maintaining the consistency to get there.

“I think I have a good chance now to play in one of those leagues,’’ he said. “To test my strengths and weaknesses and see where I am as a player now and whether I can get to the highest level.’’

No knock at MLS, he said. It’s just about fulfilling that destiny long expected. A destiny that could see him finally excused from the family dinner table.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
Nice article there  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
Nice article there  :beermug:

Ent. Nary a mention of sea spray. May it long continue.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
WATCH: Seattle Sounders FC defender Joevin Jones discusses playing for Trinidad and Tobago, his ever-changing hairstyles and his admiration for Sounders Head Coach Brian Schmetzer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SD4ixPJDsvc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SD4ixPJDsvc</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
I think the Dutch league is a good fit for joevin. same position with overlapping runs except much stiffer competition on both ends of the pitch: to try to run past as well as to defend against. much better pace, technically sound, atmosphere etc. a short term contract for him to grow into a starting spot in a bigger league - instead of going to a league where you out of your depth and seeing a steady dose of bench, or the ubiquitous "unused sub" on the trinis in action threads.  [As a side note: I lamenting how Levi talent laying dormant on a bench till he not even coming on for us for lack of match fitness. We don't have the luxury of not harnessing to maximum his talent].

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »

He just establishing himself in the league.  Jeez!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »

If he is already recognized as one of the best in the league, what else does he have to establish? Given his age and contract situation this is the time to make a move.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »

If he is already recognized as one of the best in the league, what else does he have to establish? Given his age and contract situation this is the time to make a move.
and how does one do that ? Call Henderson Shipping Services and have them pack his things and move them to Manchester ?run on the field while a match going on and show them his skills ? how ?  ::)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »

and how does one do that ? Call Henderson Shipping Services and have them pack his things and move them to Manchester ?run on the field while a match going on and show them his skills ? how ?  ::)
:rotfl:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :laugh:
I pity the fool....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :laugh:

The usual ways I guess.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »
Sounders defender Joevin as early Fullback of the Year.
SoundersFC.com Staff

Seattle Sounders left back Joevin Jones has been in the form of his life recently and is showing no signs of stopping.

As we head into Week 11 of the MLS season, MLSSoccer.com’s Armchair Analyst Matt Doyle has crowned Jones the Fullback of the Year so far. The Trinidadian international is second in the league in assists with five and has been as instrumental a part of the Sounders’ offense as he has defensively, shutting down opposing attackers with a 1-v-1 skill that few of his counterparts can rival.

“Jones has been the brightest light in an otherwise sluggish start to the season for Seattle,” wrote Doyle. “He gets forward with abandon, has become an above average defender, and his five assists are one behind the league leaders. By my (unofficial) count, no defender's ever had more than eight in a season.”

You can check out the full award list and Best XI here.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/05/09/mls-names-seattle-sounders-defender-joevin-jones-early-fullback-year

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:40:47 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
Early full back of the year?  Doh blight the man, nah!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 12, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
Former Fire defender Joevin Jones preparing for first visit back to Chicago with the Seattle Sounders
By Ryan Krasnoo (SoundersFC.com)

Before Seattle Sounders defender Joevin Jones won an MLS Cup, was third in Major League Soccer in assists in 2017 and has firmly implemented himself as arguably the league’s best fullback, he plied his trade in Chicago.

On Saturday, when the Sounders visit Toyota Park to take on the Fire (6 p.m. PT; ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360AM), Jones will return for the first time.

“It’s always a pleasure to play against your old side,” Jones said on Thursday. “I have nothing to prove, I’m just coming to play my normal game…I have some good memories here, it’s always great to see my ex-teammates.”

Jones and Sounders midfielder Harry Shipp were teammates in Chicago in 2015 before Chicago traded both away following that season. Shipp went to the Montreal Impact while the Sounders traded their first-round pick in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft for Jones.

It was’t that Jones wasn’t effective in Chicago — he started 26 games and had one goal and one assists after joining the Fire from Finland’s HJK Helsinki — but the Trinidadian international has truly upped his game in his year-plus in Seattle and continues to flourish.

“I’ve developed more in Seattle,” Jones said. “[It’s] the players around me. They’ve helped me grow and become a better player.”

The most pressing task at hand for Jones is leading his new team into his old team’s building, a place where they have yet to lose this season, and earning a result. This will be Seattle’s first road match since routing the LA Galaxy 3-0 on April 23 and the Sounders are hoping to replicate that success.

“Every game I’m looking to have an impact,” said Jones, “but my main goal is to play well and make sure the team wins.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:41 AM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones scores his first goal of the season in Seattle Sounders FC’s 2-2 draw with Portland Timbers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YiGwyAI-zLE?start=65" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YiGwyAI-zLE?start=65</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones with his sixth assist of the season in Seattle Sounders FC's 3-1 win over Colorado Rapids

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g2XSpLy5OM8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g2XSpLy5OM8</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
That last goal by Dempsey is just great. A real striker. Take a half chance and golaso!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones provides an inch-perfect cross to start Seattle Sounders FC’s come-from-behind 4-3 win over DC United.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Pm4Bp4h8eM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Pm4Bp4h8eM</a>

WATCH: Joevin Jones serves up a delicious cross with the outside of his left boot to provide his second assist of the night in Seattle Sounders FC’s come-from-behind 4-3 win over DC United. He now has a team-leading eight assists for the season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0ce_LKmhSC4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0ce_LKmhSC4</a>
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:58:11 PM by Tallman »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
JJ performing like ah boss

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
Yuh could see his confidence with those passes. That's the way we need all our players to perform
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
Tallman you have the order of the goals mixed up. The one when Jones passed with the outside of his foot was his second assist.

Nice passes by Jones

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »
Tallman you have the order of the goals mixed up. The one when Jones passed with the outside of his foot was his second assist.

Thanks. Ah fix it.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
this fella need to renegotiate he contract :cursing:......worth way more than 90k ah year
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones provides his ninth assist of the season. Three in the last two games. This is the most by a defender in the MLS since 2003.

1]; } ?>