When he feel like it
0 (0%)
Maybe in a next life
0 (0%)
Dah is dem other fellas job
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: November 24, 2017, 09:29:40 PM

Author Topic: Joevin Jones Thread  (Read 98076 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
smh. hopefully this is just a ploy to get better negotiations for a contract extansion or better offer from another club, cuz I can't believe Joevin hanging it up already! my player.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

(If I can find it, I will be back to post something I noticed a lil while ago).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 08, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
This isn't it ... but hold this in the meantime.

Some Bundesliga clubs showed interest last summer, but Jones stayed in Darmstadt. His homesickness struck him. Since his spouse is pregnant, Jones was torn inside. Darmstadt granted him special leave several times, in which Jones flew to Trinidad and Tobago. In the meantime, he brought his partner to Darmstadt. Now she is back home - pregnant. Alone Jones suffered in Darmstadt more and more.

The return to the MLS seems to be the best solution for Joevin Jones. Darmstadt collects a transfer. Jones can get started right now in Seattle. There the fans love him. He meets there again his Darmstadt buddy Terrence Boyd, who moved in the winter in the MLS to Toronto.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/joevin-jones-loest-vertrag-bei-darmstadt-98-auf-61739778.bild.html

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 08, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
Here it is, from October 17, 2018. See the 4th comment.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 08, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »
Lateral move. Hope he get improved wages as a result nonetheless

Was it a lateral move when he went n the other direction?

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 10, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
Lateral move. Hope he get improved wages as a result nonetheless

Was it a lateral move when he went n the other direction?

To me yeah. I think Sounders could compete with and beat many of those Bundisliga teams comfortably. MLS and Bundisliga 2 on par, in fact MLS might just be better.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »
Comfortably? I very much doubt, but I can see them competing. I think is a slightly downward move, but it doesn't mean that it isn't a good move for him all things considered.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Variety and Versatility: How Joevin Jones makes the Sounders elite
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
Variety and Versatility: How Joevin Jones makes the Sounders elite
By Casey Dunau (sounderatheart.com)

The Seattle Sounders made two surprise signings on the last day of the MLS Primary Transfer Window when they agreed to terms with centerback Xavier Arregea and left back/winger Joevin Jones. On paper, both of those signings are more long term than short term moves since the Sounders entered the season with what many believed to be the deepest left back and center back pools in MLS. In reality, both signings actually address immediate needs for the Sounders, though it should be noted that neither Arregea nor Jones are likely to be fully available until mid-summer.

For the Arregea signing, the pressing need to improve centerback depth became apparent when Chad Marshall missed the first LAFC match and the Sounders were summarily picked apart through the middle of the field during a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of a Western Conference rival. While backup centerback Roman Torres has played significantly better in his last couple starts, the continued injury problems for Marshall as well as his and Torres’ ages made finding another centerback piece sooner rather than later a priority.

How the Jones signing helps the team immediately is more complicated, but also potentially more dramatic. Here’s why:

Jones the fullback
Neither Brad Smith nor Nouhou have disappointed so far this season. Smith has put an iron grip on the starting position thanks to excellent offensive play (three assists, 1.1 key passes per game, and he’s an integral part of the best left-side combination trio in the league between him, Victor Rodriguez, and Nico Lodeiro). Nouhou, though not given many chances, has put in one solid start and a handful of decent sub appearances, two of which helped the Sounders preserve nervy 1-0 leads.

Still, signing Jones as a fullback makes sense for multiple reasons, the most obvious being that the Sounders may not get a deal done to sign Smith when his loan from Bournemouth ends this summer.

But why sign a TAM left back as only a potential replacement if Smith leaves when the team already has an exciting young left back waiting in the wings? Because the Sounders play fundamentally different soccer when Nouhou is in the match. In 3,744 minutes with the Sounders, Nouhou has yet to record an assist. Brad Smith has four assists in 1,375 minutes with the Sounders while Joevin Jones has 12 assists in 4,764 minutes as a left back for the Sounders (whoscored credits Jones with an additional assist while playing left mid for the team).

Could Nouhou’s offensive efficiency continue to develop with more minutes on the field? Absolutely. Are the Sounders willing to take that risk during what GM Garth Lagerwey has openly called their “championship window”? Tougher to say.

If the Sounders don’t see Nouhou as a starting-caliber left back in their system this season, then it makes sense to sign Jones as cover should Smith go down to injury or head back to England this summer. Furthermore, signing Jones gives Lagerwey almost unprecedented negotiating leverage for an MLS team heading into the summer transfer window as they now have three left backs capable of playing at or near an all-star level.

At a time where young MLS talents are being sold for more money than ever before, setting yourself up to sell a 21-year-old prospect with nearly 4,000 first team minutes and plenty of interest from abroad makes a lot of sense. Nouhou may not fit perfectly into the Sounders’ very attacking outside back mold, but there are lots of teams around the world who would pay for a left back with a high attacking ceiling who is already a lockdown defender.

Jones the winger
But for those who don’t want to see Nouhou go, hope remains. That’s because at this point in his career, Jones is just as much a winger as he is a left back. The versatile crossing guru played in the midfield all last season for SV Darmstadt 98. That means that even if Smith signs a new contract with the Sounders this season, Nouhou could remain the No. 2 left back on the depth chart should the Sounders prefer Jones as an attacker, which based on comments from both Lagerwey and head coach Brian Schmetzer, seems likely.

Even better for Nouhou is that his style of play suits lining up behind Jones much more than any of the Sounders’ other attacking midfielders. That’s because Jones will be the only left-footed winger with the pace to consistently get behind opposing defenses on the roster. With Jones being able to stretch the field on his own, the pressure for Nouhou to provide an offensive thrust down the left goes way down. That doesn’t mean the young left back wouldn’t be able to get forward so much as it means that when he does get forward, it would be as a sort of counter punch to catch defenses off guard when Jones stays back rather than working as the third man in an intricately combining triangle as Smith does with Rodríguez and Lodeiro.

All that’s to say that even if Smith and Nouhou stay, Jones’ signing doesn’t create the left back logjam one might expect. Moreover, Jones gives the midfield the type of depth needed to take the team to the next level.

Of course, bolstering the midfield depth may feel redundant since the Sounders already have above-average quality on their bench in the midfield. After all, Harry Shipp can keep possession nearly as well as anybody and can also find a killer final pass, making him ideal for salting away games or slotting in for Rodriguez or Lodeiro as a fill-in starter. Additionally, Handwalla Bwana has the type of dribbling ability that can break a game open if the team needs individual magic to unlock their opponents.

But what if Jordan Morris is out? And what if the Sounders want to stretch their opponent with pace and/or provide left-footed service out of the midfield? Well, as became evident over the stretch of matches in which Morris played up top, there weren’t a ton of great options — until now.

The brilliance of the Jones signing is not that he brings more quality to the midfield. It’s that he brings more variety to that quality. If the Sounders want to play power soccer and attack with vicious speed down the wings, they can play Jones and Morris in the midfield. If they want to go full tiki-taka, they can play Rodrgiuez and Shipp. If they want a hybrid, they can mix and match in whatever way floats their boat.

That’s the type of diversity in attack that makes MLS Cup teams, or Supporters’ Shield teams, or double-, or even treble-winning teams. That’s what the ever-increasing amounts of TAM in MLS has made possible, and that’s who the Sounders have become. The championship window is now and this makes the Sounders perfectly capable of climbing through.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
Comfortably? I very much doubt, but I can see them competing. I think is a slightly downward move, but it doesn't mean that it isn't a good move for him all things considered.

Watch a few games and I bet yuh think different. In form Sounders beating most of those teams with no problem

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sounders fullback Joevin Jones happy to be back in Seattle
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
Sounders fullback Joevin Jones happy to be back in Seattle, ready to contribute immediately
By Joseph Mondello (SoundersFC.com)

There was a familiar face at Starfire Sports on Thursday, as Joevin Jones trained with his teammates for the first time since he rejoined the Seattle Sounders on May 8.

Jones, who spent two seasons with the Sounders before joining SV Darmstadt in Germany’s 2. Bundesliga, landed in Seattle on Wednesday and was eager to reunite with the club.

“It feels great to be back home,” said Jones. “I feel welcome from the fans and the coaching staff, and I’m happy to be back.”

Jones spent the majority of his first two MLS campaigns — the first with the Chicago Fire in 2015 and the second with the Sounders in 2016 — as a buccaneering fullback, pushing forward into the attack and creating chances with his technical combination play. The Trinidad and Tobago international enjoyed a breakout season in 2017, tallying 11 assists while routinely playing as a left winger en route to a second consecutive MLS Cup appearance.

Those performances garnered interest from Europe, opening a professional pathway he had craved ever since he signed his first contract with W Connection in his home country.

“As a kid, I always wanted to play in Europe,” he said. “So, when I got the chance to go, and I got the opportunity, I took it. I went and I showed what I can do.”

After two seasons in Germany, during which he tallied six goals and helped Darmstadt stave off relegation, Jones jumped at the chance to return to Seattle. Head Coach Brian Schmetzer, who maintained a strong relationship with Jones when he moved abroad, is thrilled to have his former player bolster an already strong Sounders First Team.

“He’s a funny kid,” said Schmetzer. “He’s got a good personality. He’s a talented, talented soccer player. So, I’m happy to have him back.”

The skill set and versatility that Jones brings to the table are a welcome addition, as they provide Schmetzer with further tactical flexibility. Nominally a left back, Jones can line up on the left or right side of Seattle’s three-man attacking midfield as well.

Beyond the formational variance, Jones’ technical acumen and patience on the ball will be critical when the Sounders seek to breakdown bunkered opponents through sustained possession.

“He’s clean on the ball, keeps possession and he runs fast, but he doesn’t look like he’s running fast,” added Schmetzer.

One of the most difficult aspects of integrating a new signing into a team is establishing chemistry with his teammates, on and off the pitch. But with the likes of Román Torres, Cristian Roldan, Stefan Frei, Víctor Rodríguez and Nouhou, there are plenty of players who Jones knows well from his tenure in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, the tactics have changed since 2017, but Jones possesses the requisite skill and soccer intelligence to hit the ground running in Rave Green.

“I can see from the first day [of training] that it’s a little bit different,” said Jones. “But I’m a smart player, so I will get it right in time.”

According to player and coach, Jones could be available for Seattle’s away match against FC Dallas on Saturday (5 p.m. PT; JOEtv, YouTube TV, Univsion-Seattle, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »
He rejoined since May 8?? I guess I was sleeping.

From the Darmstadt website:

Joevin Jones will not run for the SV 98 in the future. The 27-year-old moves to Seattle Sounders FC with immediate effect. About the separation modalities, both clubs agreed silence.

Jones returns to his former club in Major League Soccer, for which he had already been active, before joining the lilies in January 2018 on a free transfer. During his time in South Hesse, the left foot played 44 second division matches for the SV 98, in which he scored 6 goals and 4 assists. Also in the DFB Cup Jones ran in two games.

The SV 98 thanks Joevin Jones for its commitment and wishes him every success in the upcoming tasks with his new team.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 06, 2019, 07:53:49 AM »
Did anyone see JJ play last night? Only saw part of the game, there was a guy who looked like him, wearing his number, the lineup even said it was him..but the guy wasn’t playing like the JJ we loved, the lilbit I see.. so I switch to ‘We the North ‘

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 06, 2019, 08:40:25 AM »
Did anyone see JJ play last night? Only saw part of the game, there was a guy who looked like him, wearing his number, the lineup even said it was him..but the guy wasn’t playing like the JJ we loved, the lilbit I see.. so I switch to ‘We the North ‘

:)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 12, 2019, 06:59:05 PM »
WATCH: Within six minutes of his introduction, Joevin Jones supplies the cross that leads to Seattle Sounders FC's second goal during a 3-3 draw with New England Revolution.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nSbsCu6K9Fg?start=122" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nSbsCu6K9Fg?start=122</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 29, 2019, 08:52:51 PM »
Is Joven Jones well? Since he returned to Sounders he hasn't quite looked himself.

I see he is now playing (R) Winger for Sounders.

Dennis bringing him off the bench an' ting.

Wais d scene wit him?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #465 on: October 30, 2019, 02:08:20 AM »
Is Joven Jones well? Since he returned to Sounders he hasn't quite looked himself.

I see he is now playing (R) Winger for Sounders.

Dennis bringing him off the bench an' ting.

Wais d scene wit him?
I’ve seen Kenwyne say recently that Joevin doesn’t actually enjoy football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #466 on: October 31, 2019, 01:45:16 AM »
Jones' Seattle Sounders lifts MLS Conf. title.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T se­nior men's foot­baller Jo­evin Jones and the Seat­tle Sounders are head­ing to the US Ma­jor League Soc­cer Cup for the third time in four years, as a dy­nam­ic per­for­mance from Raul Ruidi­az pow­ered a 3-1 win over top-seed­ed LA FC at Banc of Cal­i­for­nia Sta­di­um in the West­ern Con­fer­ence Fi­nal on Tues­day night.

It was on­ly the sec­ond home loss suf­fered by LAFC in 2019.

Seat­tle scored three unan­swered goals af­ter LAFC opened a 1-0 lead in the 17th minute via mid­field­er Ed­uard At­ues­ta when the Colom­bian curled a right-foot­ed free-kick past goal­keep­er Ste­fan Frei af­ter Car­los Vela was fouled near the top of the 18-yard box,

But then the Sounders’ resur­gence be­gan, start­ing in the 22nd minute via Ruidi­az. Drift­ing off the back shoul­der of LAFC cen­tre back Ed­die Se­gu­ra, the Pe­ru­vian strik­er took ad­van­tage of a for­tu­itous bounce and fired a quick strike in­side the near post.

Af­ter equal­iz­ing, Seat­tle quick­ly made it 2-1 in the 26th minute via Nico­las Lodeiro, who scored in his sec­ond straight game in the Au­di 2019 MLS Cup Play­offs af­ter re­ceiv­ing a pass from the Care­nage-born Jones, from on the right side who was picked out Ruidi­az who start­ed a counter-at­tack, to fire home a pre­cise fin­ish past goal­keep­er Tyler Miller.

LAFC chased, but the Sounders who re­placed Jones with Jor­dan Delem in the 64th tacked on an­oth­er to take a 3-1 lead a few sec­onds lat­er via Ruidi­az.

A poor clear­ance from LAFC found Lodeiro out wide, who slipped a ball cen­tral­ly for the Pe­ru­vian. Ruidi­az then found his brace, again ri­fling home in­side the post.

LAFC, who ac­cu­mu­lat­ed more points than any team in MLS his­to­ry (72 points) dur­ing the reg­u­lar sea­son, were dealt a blow when mid­field­er Latif Bless­ing was forced off through in­jury. In came Mark-An­tho­ny Kaye, who made his first 2019 post­sea­son ap­pear­ance af­ter pick­ing up a ham­string strain on in­ter­na­tion­al du­ty with Cana­da.

The Black and Gold al­so had a hand­ful of penal­ty kick ap­peals in both halves, but head ref­er­ee Jair Mar­ru­fo didn’t point to the spot.

In the fi­nal, Seat­tle Sounders will come up against the win­ner of the East­ern Con­fer­ence Fi­nal which was played last night be­tween At­lanta and Toron­to FC.

In the fi­nal, Seat­tle will ei­ther trav­el to face At­lanta Unit­ed or they will host Toron­to FC for the league ti­tle on No­vem­ber 10.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 09, 2019, 10:00:54 AM »
WATCH: Seattle Sounders FC defender Joevin Jones speaks to media following training on playing in his third MLS Cup Final.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8ibaSYCh1Y0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8ibaSYCh1Y0</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2019, 06:32:10 AM »
Thought i saw a picture of jovin in the newspapers training with the national team at the hasley crawford, which is strange......doesn’t he have a cup final today in Seattle?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2019, 11:28:56 AM »
WATCH: Seattle Sounders FC defender Joevin Jones speaks to media following training on playing in his third MLS Cup Final.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8ibaSYCh1Y0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8ibaSYCh1Y0</a>
Thought i saw a picture of jovin in the newspapers training with the national team at the hasley crawford, which is strange......doesn’t he have a cup final today in Seattle?

he would be on the bench for the next game
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
JJ should be on the bench for Seattle too.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
Looks like another MLS title for JJ.
I hope I eh blight dem, 5 mins left

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:03 PM »
First half  JJ did nothing. Toronto balled Seattle. He was playing on the right side like a forward and coming back to help. But I can't tell you what he did that was significant. Second half he was at left back and he was much better. But the better playing side loss. But the goal of the game is to score goals. TO did not. Congrats Seattle and JJ.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 11, 2020, 06:16:53 AM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones scores two goals as Seattle Sounders inflict a 7-1 mauling on San Jose Earthquakes. Jones also contributed with an assist.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ssR5kSg5y4k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ssR5kSg5y4k</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aNVrrSQK-ME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aNVrrSQK-ME</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 12, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
WATCH: Joevin Jones gives his reactions to Seattle Sounders FC's 7-1 win over San Jose Earthquakes in Major League Soccer. He talks about his life as a father, playing during the Pandemic and his take on T&T's Concacaf World Cup qualifying draw.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/e5xCT1ol93k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/e5xCT1ol93k</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2020, 05:41:36 AM »
There have been a couple tackles during this first half that made me grimace in concern for Molino.

Yep, especially knowing his history.

But he is a very intelligent player. . .he has learned a lot from them.

I'm wondering what is Jones' role. I mean what did the coach tell him. Where is his creativity? Several times it seemed beter to take on his man instead of forcing a pass,

Seems they were looking to generate the opportunity from outside.

Alright, Coco yuh win. I will risk back to back weeks of you dragging us into another "international incident".  ;D

Although I sense that they lacked another body (hence playing out rather than in) and coordination/timing in the box, knowing his individual quality, it's always difficult when you don't see him in an expressive mode. Might have been his own leash.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 08, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
There have been a couple tackles during this first half that made me grimace in concern for Molino.

Yep, especially knowing his history.

But he is a very intelligent player. . .he has learned a lot from them.

I'm wondering what is Jones' role. I mean what did the coach tell him. Where is his creativity? Several times it seemed beter to take on his man instead of forcing a pass,

Seems they were looking to generate the opportunity from outside.

Alright, Coco yuh win. I will risk back to back weeks of you dragging us into another "international incident". ;D

Although I sense that they lacked another body (hence playing out rather than in) and coordination/timing in the box, knowing his individual quality, it's always difficult when you don't see him in an expressive mode. Might have been his own leash.

Nah ah doh think we have to worry about that here.  ;D

An’ yuh doh have tuh bite eh. But last night was the most fluid and energized I’ve seen JJ play in a while.

He hasn’t been the player we know he could be. That’s also what sparked the thought of the coach’s instructions. But I do see it may just as well be his own delimitations for the self-same reasons.

BTW my team lost last night. I wanted Minn to advance and Molino to put his stamp on the league.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joevin Jones eager to lift MLS Cup
« Reply #477 on: December 11, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »
Joevin Jones eager to lift MLS Cup
By Jonathan Ramnansingh (T&T Newsday)

T&T’s Joevin Jones is intent on guiding the Seattle Sounders to their third Audi Major League Soccer (MLS) Cup title in four years when they square off against Columbus Crew in the 2020 final on Sunday.

The 29-year old midfielder began his career with the Sounders in 2016 and played an integral role in capturing the MLS Cup in his debut year and then once more in 2019.

Seattle was unable to defend the crown in 2017 and finished as runners-up behind winners Toronto FC. The following year they were eliminated in the quarter-final round.

After defeating his compatriot Kevin Molino’s Minnesota United 3-2 in a Western Conference final come-from-behind thriller on Monday, Jones believes his team has what it takes to retain the MLS Cup. This crucial win also saw Seattle extend its home postseason winning streak to 15 games, an MLS record.

Heading into Sunday’s title match, Jones is optimistic the Sounders can successfully defend the trophy.

“The atmosphere is great around the team. We’re confident going into the final. We had a good run. Although it was a rollercoaster year for us, we pushed through to get to the final. We overcame many things and it’s an honour to be in the final again.

“As players and as a club we all set our goals for this season and this is all we wanted: to be part of history again and to win another cup.”

Reflecting on his recent competitive reunion with former Mucurapo Secondary player Molino, Jones said he was pleased to share the pitch once more with his fellow countryman.

Although elated to have progressed to the cup final for a second consecutive year, the Seattle star commended Minnesota on their historic run of form. This was the first year the club reached the MLS Cup Playoffs since its entry two years ago.

“It was a tough match and Minnesota played well. They had a good run, with some ups and downs this year – particularly the pandemic and then the death of George Floyd there. Reaching this far was historic and meant a lot for the city and the club. It was a good but difficult game,” he added.

By advancing to the 2020 MLS Cup, Seattle joined DC United as the only clubs in MLS history to make four finals in a five-season span.

Jones believes his presence, likewise Molino and others on the international pro circuit, have an opportunity to use their experience and professions as examples to help inspire young and upcoming T&T-based footballers.

His pro career began with domestic club W Connection where he made his first-team debut in 2009, at 17. During his time, Jones won the T&T Pro League title twice and the FA Trophy in 2013–14.

After his fourth season with W Connection, in 2014, he was loaned to Finnish club HJK Helsinki. Jones then moved to MLS side Chicago Fire for the 2015 season, before spending the 2016 and 2017 seasons with Seattle Sounders FC.

He joined German second division Bundesliga club Darmstadt in January 2018 but later returned to Seattle in May 2019.

“I think it’s important to let people know where I come from. To be on this big stage is a blessing and a showing for our country.

“It’s just to let people know that we have good talent in Trinidad and Tobago and make the passageway easier for more Trinbagonians to get in the league in the US and other parts of the world,” he said.

Additionally, before the start of Monday’s western conference final, both Jones and Molino posted a photo on social media with the pair holding jerseys with the words: “Protect our women and children. Please T&T!”

The gesture came after the murder of 18-year-old Ashanti Riley last week sparked a national outcry for justice and an end to violence against women. Riley left her San Juan home last Sunday to visit her grandmother but went missing after getting into a PH taxi. She was found dead in Santa Cruz on Friday.

When asked what inspired the move, Jones replied, “This was a strong message to our country about the amount of missing people, especially the girls. We did it to put some pressure on the evil people out there. It’s time to stop this madness.”

For 2020, the murders of 45 women have been reported in T&T.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joevin Jones calls for transparency in T&T football
« Reply #478 on: December 14, 2020, 01:48:16 PM »
Joevin Jones calls for transparency in T&T football
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

IF T&T’s football administrators are unable to run a transparent and structured local sporting association, the nation’s future generation of footballers, ultimately, stands to be the biggest loser.

This was the sentiment shared by national footballer Joevin Jones, who called on the FIFA-sanctioned normalisation committee to help clean up the many administrative errors which have plagued local football for the past ten years.

The 29-year-old plays with Major League Soccer (MLS) club Seattle Sounders and concluded his 2020 season with a 3-0 defeat to Columbus City in the MLS Cup final on Saturday.

Speaking to the midfielder before the Cup final, Jones was displeased with the recent negative publicity directed on the T&T Football Association (TTFA) during its eight-month legal battle with the sport’s governing body FIFA.

In March, FIFA removed the TTFA executive, headed by William Wallace, and implemented a normalisation committee, chaired by Robert Hadad, because of the mounting debts by the local governing body.

FIFA suspended T&T from international football in September, after Wallace and his executive challenged their removal in the local High Court, instead of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland. It lifted the suspension in November after Wallace withdrew all legal claims against the governing body.

“We only want to make things better for the upcoming players. The future is key. We don’t want the younger guys coming in and we have this same problem we had for over a decade. It wasn’t right. But now is the perfect time for those in power to right the wrongs,” he said.

During the legal tussle, which spanned the majority of 2020, Jones and other US-based professionals such as compatriot Kevin Molino followed the theatrics virtually. The latter went as far as to say that he would hang up his boots if the TTFA does not get its house in order before the start of the Concacaf World Cup qualifiers in March 2021.

Jones vented similar frustration and stated that Molino’s statement is a reflection of the sadness and pain foreign-based nationals face when competing abroad without proper guidance from their own local association.

The Sounders representative admitted he was particularly concerned the ban would not be lifted and T&T would be omitted from pursuing its 2022 World Cup qualification campaign. He has, however, played in two previous Youth World Cups, but never at the international level.

“Molino’s right because at the end of the day we (seniors) only have a few years left (to play). I was concerned about the upcoming games. We have a great chance to get back into the World Cup. Not playing for your country is painful.

“When you see other players go home to play international football, as players we always love to represent our country, and it will be embarrassing if we can’t fix the wrongs that have us in this position today,” Jones added.

As a veteran, Jones, like Molino and other seasoned professionals, next year’s qualifiers serve as their last chance to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.

The Seattle man affirmed T&T’s football will only progress if the players, administration, coaching staff and those involved deliver a comprehensive and collective effort.

“It’s a collective effort. I think the situation with the local guys right now is tough amid the restrictions. There’s only a few of us outside the country and we just have to work hard, be committed to the national team and make sure we’re on one page,” he concluded.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 15, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Just saw that Joevin got released from the Sounders

Hope he bounces back soon.
Think he can still add a lot to a team's roster as a free agent signing

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2020/12/14/sounders-fc-announces-roster-decisions-conclude-2020-season

RELATED NEWS

Joevin given failing grade
T&T Express Reports.

Joevin Jones was given a failing grade of just four for his performance in the 2020 MLS Cup final in which his Seattle Sounders club was defeated 3-0 by Columbus Crew.

Jones, 29, gave an indifferent first-half performance before being substituted with his team trailing 2-0. With Jones done, Seattle improved significantly in the second half, before conceding a third on the counter-attack.

However, in the press conference following his team’s defeat in the final, Seattle coach Brian Schmetzer resisted all attempts to blame individual players for the defeat.

“I absolutely felt this game was a failure. This individual game was not a good performance by our club and not up to the standard that we set for ourselves...that I set for myself. It is my job as a coach to make sure that the players are prepared, that they had the tools to be successful, and so this performance was not a good performance from the Seattle Sounders,” he said.

“But I would circle back to say that the club, the team, did come back through some adversity and made it into another final back to back, which is very hard to do in a league like MLS with parity, which is very challenging. So that is one good accomplishment which came out of this year.”

Several media questions were posed on the lack of performance from the experienced players, Jones among them. Specific questions were posed to his decision to replace Jones and Cameroonian Nouhou Tolo at the half. However, the Seattle coach again resisted attempts to lay blame at his players’ feet.

Meanwhile, Seattle Sounders FC today announced that it is exercising the 2021 contract options of several players, putting the club’s roster at 19 contracted players heading into next season. Sounders FC has declined the contract options for eight of their players including Joevin Jones.

2019 - He’s back! Top five Joevin Jones moments with Seattle Sounders

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:27:55 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>