March 19, 2024, 12:46:29 AM

Author Topic: Joevin Jones set for Italy trial with Udinese  (Read 26454 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joevin Jones set for Italy trial with Udinese
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Buona fortuna, Joevin: Connection starlet off for Udinese trials
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Twenty-two year old DIRECTV W Connection starlet and “Soca Warrior” utility player Joevin Jones should leave for Italy by next weekend and a 12-day trial with mid-table Serie A team, Udinese Calcio.

Jones, who helped Connection to secure the 2013 Toyota Classic crown with a 2-0 win over Club Sando last night, is his club’s highest scorer this season with five goals in all competitions while he has been a fixture in the Trinidad and Tobago national senior team for the past three years.

Connection owner David John Williams hopes Jones’ fine form helps earn him a move to a team that has employed unique talents like retired Brazil legend Zico, Chile and Barcelona winger Alexis Sanchez and present Udinese captain and Italy international Antonio Di Natale.

“Joevin has to be there by the 10th of December,” Williams told Wired868. “The Italian season breaks on the 22nd (of December) and restarts on the 6th of January. Hopefully he can impress and be asked to return (after the winter break).”

If Jones is successful, he will become the second Trinidad and Tobago player to sign for a Serie A club. His Connection teammate Silvio Spann signed for Perugia as a 20-year-old in 2001 but never played in the top flight and his only outings in Italy came while on loan at Serie C team, Sambenedettese.

In 2001, Spann had failed to force his way into the national under-20 team and it was another two years before he made his first start for the international senior team. In contrast, Jones, the son of former “Strike Squad” defender Kelvin Jones, already has 33 full international caps and has played in a CONCACAF Gold Cup and two CONCACAF Champions League tournaments.

Williams claimed Connection has had talks with several interested European clubs about Jones including present England Championship leader, Leicester City, big spending French champions Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Spanish outfit Real Betis. However, Udinese made the first move.

“Leicester wanted to bring him over but they were concerned about the work permit situation as Trinidad and Tobago is still ranked outside the top 70 nations,” said Williams. “But Udinese was first to offer him a trial…

“It is a massive, massive opportunity for the boy. Obviously he is talented; the biggest challenge for him is dealing with the cold.”

Jones’ brilliant solo effort and two clever assists against Guaya United in the Classic semi-final underlined his status as the Pro League’s most entertaining player at present and Williams waited until after the final whistle, last night, to tell him the good news.

“I didn’t tell Joevin until after the (Classic final),” said Williams, “and he made a promise to give it his best shot. There was a joke in the dressing room that just now we will not have a team.

“If Joevin goes in the next transfer window, we will definitely have to bring in some new faces.”

At present, Connection is six points clear atop the Pro League team with a game in hand and a maximum 15 points from five outings.

Technically, Jones will be available when the “Savonetta Boys” play away to Guaya United in the TTFA FA Trophy on Wednesday December 4 and then face Central FC in League action on Saturday December 7.

Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier suggested that he would consider using Jones against Guaya but, at the moment, is still undecided. Fevrier revealed that he does not intend to scrap Connection’s present formation, which was tailor-made for Jones and features the Italy-bound Warrior as a roving playmaker ahead of two holding midfielders and behind a mobile front three.

“We will not change the system,” said Fevrier. “We have Bebo (Jomal Williams), Yefer (Lozano) and (Yhon) Lopez. Any one of those three can function in that role.”

Connection may have already lost three other players to Vietnam for the remainder of the season. Trinidad and Tobago international defender Daneil Cyrus moved on loan to Hanoi T&T last month while former national youth team strikers Jerrel Britto and Jamal Clarence hope to complete moves to Song Lam Nghe.

However, another starlet, 21-year-old Shahdon Winchester, has returned from his loan stint with Finland Premier League team, FF Jaro, and will be back in Connection gear when the transfer window opens on December 23.

“We have eight League games in January and four in February, so the League will be won and lost then,” said Williams. “Shahdon will be joining us at a key time and he has already been training every day. We are just waiting for the window to open.”

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:36:14 PM by Flex »

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Twenty-two year old DIRECTV W Connection starlet and “Soca Warrior” utility player Joevin Jones should leave for Italy by next weekend on a 12-day trial with mid-table Serie A team, Udinese Calcio.

Jones, who helped Connection to secure the 2013 Toyota Classic crown with a 2-0 win over Club Sando last night, is his club’s highest scorer this season with five goals in all competitions while he has been a fixture in the Trinidad and Tobago national senior team for the past three years.

Connection owner David John Williams hopes Jones’ fine form helps earn him a move to a team that has employed unique talents like retired Brazil legend Zico, Chile and Barcelona winger Alexis Sanchez and present Udinese captain and Italy international Antonio Di Natale.

“Joevin has to be there by the 10th of December,” Williams told Wired868. “The Italian season breaks on the 22nd (of January) and restarts on the 6th of January. Hopefully he can impress and be asked to return (after the winter break).”

If Jones is successful, he will become the second Trinidad and Tobago player to sign for a Serie A club. His Connection teammate Silvio Spann signed for Perugia as a 20-year-old in 2001 but never played in the top flight and his only outings in Italy came while on loan at Serie C team, Sambenedettese.

In 2001, Spann had failed to force his way into the national under-20 team and it was another two years before he made his first start for the international senior team. In contrast, Jones, the son of former “Strike Squad” defender Kelvin Jones, already has 33 full international caps and has played in a CONCACAF Gold Cup and two CONCACAF Champions League tournaments.

Continue reading

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Buona fortuna, Joevin: Connection starlet off for Udinese trials
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
Good opportunity, good luck Jones.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Joevin Jones set for Italy trial with Udinese
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
WHAT?!?!?!

Good vibes and good luck....hopefully minor league loss will be Udinese gain ;)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »
nice news...if he is successful he will be shipped to Granada or Watford or a Serie B club...if he really impresses then he'll stay with the first team...

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:32:57 AM »
Big big news!!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
Great stuff :)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
Great opportunity. Great news is if he's signed. Gotta go out there with no fear. Humble arrogance.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
I really hope he impresses
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »
Good player....hope it works out!
TnT Patriot

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
Sick!!
Joevin, hold yuh head up high and represent. Don't go over there looking oversees and as if yuh begin' for a break.
Get yuh visa straight and start checking off your to do list so yuh nice and relaxed when yuh reach.
Thanks to the increased game schedule and intensity of the TT Proleague they will be pleasantly surprised that you are in good shape with high confidence level from all those goals scored.

Once again great work by Lasana for these inspiring stories. It must be stared how much we appreciate your work and you must be encouraged to continue. I hope your wired 868 grows from strength to strength.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:34:00 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
Good player....hope it works out!

CO-SIGNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
Best of luck Joevin! Show them what you can do!
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
Good Luck JJ. Jah Bless!!!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
I am really pleased for Jones. I hope he gets through because it's a great advert for T&T and the Pro League.

However, a word of caution.....Italy has the largest number of licensed agents in the world, over 1,100. Nearly 3 times more than the next....England. They all fight to get a player signed, so there are many players on trial in Italy.

On a positive note, if Jones gets through, it's an indication of just how good he really is!!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Joevin, do yuh research and let yuh fans know about this team and town that yuh checkin' out. Remember to keep as many options as possible open. Doh have tunnel vision as if they see yuh have only one option, you become more of a target for exploitative contracts. Keep talking to Leicester City, PSG in France and the others while yuh attack Udinese with full force. Good luck.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://maps.pickatrail.com/europe/italy/map/udine.gif&imgrefurl=http://maps.pickatrail.com/europe/italy/udine.html&h=515&w=432&sz=18&tbnid=gJY-jMbbEEhpiM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=75&zoom=1&usg=__jKbwfslDxAvV7jZ3caHWCiG2rMM=&docid=DE589reWAhzEMM&sa=X&ei=KCSdUo7sIunHsATwkYCYDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQ9QEwBA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udinese_Calcio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udine

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:44:02 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »
We just have to wish JJ the best of luck,at this point in time nothing is guaranteed,people was complaining about Vietnam,this is a once in a lifetime opportunity lets hope he can take advantage of it.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
Best player I have seen in T&T for a long time, he is a utility player and watch out for his brother Alvin who McComie dog and got fire, de man have talent to.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 02:01:32 AM »
Udinese's scouts are in my, and alot of other ppls opinion, the best in italy...this relly confirms to me how far and deep their scouts really dig...honestly never really saw many of his performances or paid much attention so as to pinpoint his position because he switches up now and again...interesting enough that utility aspect to his game is evident in alot of udinese players....

i would really like him to work under Guidolin...rel rate that coach...damn good coach...

alot of top clubs in europe shop at udinese...he will be watched by more eyes at udinese than say leicester...and as i said its the quality of eyes we talkin bout here..top clubs always keep tabs on udinese players..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 03:56:22 AM »
Warrior, great opportunity. Stay calm, be positive, be professional, do yuh thing, and vibes it up!  Yuh best is yuh best. Good luck, son.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »
Big Big News!! goodluck Jones

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
Eh, isn't a starlet a female? I've never heard it being used in reference to male before.

Either way this is great news for him. Hope he can impress.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
Interesting point toonmili. I had only ever heard it used to reference "a rising star" before. But I'm not too much of a Hollywood guy. I just checked it up and it can mean a young actress or simply a small star.
If it is popularly used to indicate a female a present parlance, as seems to be the case, I won't use it in sport again.
Thanks for pointing that out :beermug:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
Interesting point toonmili. I had only ever heard it used to reference "a rising star" before. But I'm not too much of a Hollywood guy. I just checked it up and it can mean a young actress or simply a small star.
If it is popularly used to indicate a female a present parlance, as seems to be the case, I won't use it in sport again.

You good man... if you look up starlet in the news, every single one references a young male football star.
Keep the level high and let people raise they level not the other way round.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Where is the grammar/vocab/spelling thread when you need it?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
best of luck!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »

It sounds odd but I believe the usage is correct... as is the reference to a nascent Hollywood actress.  I first paid attention when Raheem Sterling burst on the scene 3 years ago... so definitely has currency in the parlance of professional football.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:41 PM »
Yo, Joevin. Christmas time is here and it came early for you. What a gift to give to your family, friends and to your fans. Represent my brother. Do me a solid. Don't half step like you did at Toronto FC., the Serie A is a much much tougher league but like they say the cream always rises to the top. Give it a hundred and nothing less.

Good luck young warrior.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »
Give it your best shot. Bless!!

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
joevin bring back a juve jersey for me pls. 23 vidal. wud pay u wen u come back. thanks. good luck with the football thing too.

1]; } ?>