April 28, 2024, 01:42:31 PM

Author Topic: Sancho calls for Sport Academy in T&T.  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sancho calls for Sport Academy in T&T.
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:05:44 AM »
Sancho calls for Sport Academy in T&T.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Former national defender Brent Sancho says the time has come for this country to properly harness the rough athletic talents it possesses.

And, he is recommending that priority consideration be given to the establishment of a well constituted and funded Sports Academy to achieve this goal.

Sancho, however, is not making the case insolation, citing that football is his first love and despite the fact that he helped the national football team in its historic World Cup Germany 2006 qualification.

In a T&T Guardian interview, the ex-footballer said, on returning home following retirement from international football, he was surprised by the innate talent that pervades on the fields and courts of play.

Forty-eight months on, Sancho continues to be wowed by those yet-to-be developed athletes with whom he comes into contact on local shores.

Convinced that T&T’s sporting capital was still untapped, he is advocating for a public-private sector partnership which he described as crucial, towards cultivating this country’s true sporting excellence.

“An academy for sport in T&T is needed. From all that I have seen in T&T, football is not the only sport that suffers that fate. I think every other sport seems to have a problem when it comes to developing raw talent.

When you see individual brilliance, is because of one individual being able to sustain a certain programme over the course of the years and a lot was done from their financial commitment, preferably from their parents. What you are seeing in T&T is, the ones that have gone through the cracks are the ones that (are) not able to sustain…and I think we can do better, especially for a country so rich, financially,” he said.

Sancho said, “I don’t point the finger so much at the Government. I point more at the private sector. I think they need to do a lot more to invest in our kids and invest in the development of our community, because what you are seeing is young kids that have the ability, that have the talent, that have the drive…have the commitment.

We have to remember that we live in a day and age where they are easily swayed whether it’s the computer, etcetera and you can lose a kid in a split second and that is where we are falling short.”

He used this country’s approach to World Cup qualification to make his case and said for the Soca Warriors World Cup Russia 2018 campaign: “The national team needs to focus on consistency and we need to take a serious approach financially and even mentally. A lot of the things we do, we do for short term gains. We haven’t done anything with a lot of sustainability in it.

I think we need a national programme. Stephen Hart is doing a tremendous job now, but it will be travesty if that support that he’s getting now wanes after a year or two, if he gets poor results. I think we need to be consistent in building our programme.”

He added, “We’ve got to start building from the ground up in T&T. We need to start unearthing more talent, giving more grass-root programmes so we could unearth these talents and develop the talents that we have.

And also, go overseas looking for footballers who have T&T percentage that we could incorporate in the national team. I don’t think it’s a case of going with a bunch of young players. I think it’s a systematic way of slowly waning out some of the older players, keeping them around so they can give the ones that are coming in the experience.”

While the ex-footballer might be a parent of recent vintage, he is fully aware of the dividends to be earned when parents and guardians invest in children–not just dropping them off to training sessions, but staying on to support them.

In countries where athletes showed star quality from early, he said, it was a direct link to the involvement of both parents, when possible, even if they are separated.

“What you see in T&T is not that. You see kids showing up by themselves or with friends. You are not seeing that support. That same parental support that American kids get, they also get it financially from their parents. They invest in their kids. They invest in their kids’ future. Clearly in this country we don’t see it, we see that lack of investment in that child’s future. You see it as a result of the social ills now in T&T,” Sancho said.

“Even though we have lapsed in terms of the parental support in T&T, we can compensate by giving the correct financial support. I think an academy is a must in T&T, where we can bring kids in, house them…the ones that don’t have the parental support where they can be nurtured.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho calls for Sport Academy in T&T.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:00:56 AM »
Sancho know a lot now. The millions Tim Kee paid him he should invest in a Academy in Central.

All these talkings and not one of them making a step forward.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:50:47 AM »
The problem is money in football rather than needing a football academy per se. Give progression through domestic football and see what wonders that does for the crop. Also, didn't Italo Galbiati set an academy up in Tobago?

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
Sancho know a lot now. The millions Tim Kee paid him he should invest in a Academy in Central.

Agreed...put yuh money where yuh mouth is!!
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
I had to check the date of this article... haven't we been here before?  But good idea still, definitely much needed and there are already successful templates out there to emulate.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »

We did have a major discussion, pre-2006 , can't find it, however, I presented a more practical alternative.nb. Is not my idea, I stumble on this, and one of my kids chose this route..so far so good..I have now experienced some other particular issues with the program, actually it's not the program per se, but things that could affect the students..

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=57027.msg814003#msg814003

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=58056.msg823605#msg823605

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=36940.msg664305#msg664305

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
In no uncertain terms, you absolutely have to get the most talent youngsters together training 6 days a week. I am amazed at some of the things you see some of the of these young players doing with a ball down here - what is sad though is how skewed their ideas are about the game. The best together in one place with emphasis on technical, physical and tactical development and throw in some quality competition occasionally for ah benchmark and we will see amazing results.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
In no uncertain terms, you absolutely have to get the most talent youngsters together training 6 days a week. I am amazed at some of the things you see some of the of these young players doing with a ball down here - what is sad though is how skewed their ideas are about the game. The best together in one place with emphasis on technical, physical and tactical development and throw in some quality competition occasionally for ah benchmark and we will see amazing results.

I agree with you,now i should not but sometimes when i look at the experiences i've had in the US i just shake my head.What i realize is it's so different at home,yes we have a lot of talent that's not being nurtured but we can't blame any one person or organization,it's a combination of all because i look at parents,parents here don't care,they don't have time,they not interested in if their child play Football or not so how we going to apply the things to improve or make them better,in the US every practice every day you see parent/kid partly too because they pay,here it's usually free and they will come when they want,the talent there yes but you eh getting those guys.

I'll give you a little example,right here in my little community i'm trying to keep the kids occupied with some Football,we practice two days a week Wed/Sat,perents start useing it to punish their kids for not doing their school work,i don't know what they used to use before,this is T&T.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:53:16 AM by Coop's »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
That's a great shame... Where has this culture come from?

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
Coops, I know all about your work brother...you have had you hands on and have developed some amazing players in the US, In Richmond VA in particular - in fact little Todd Wharton is about to play in the final four with UVA. Although I agree to an extent with parents being around in training and showing support, I think it can also be a hindrance. I say this because what you find happening is that the parents sometimes want to become to involved in the coaching, what ultimately happens is that the players are constantly looking for affirmation that they get from parents feedback - simple genstures from the sideline. At the younger age groups they ultimately want to make the father or mother happy and may be doing things that they feel will achieve that goal. In actuality, the feedback that they should be getting and all of the positive reinforcement should come from the coach. Success for them should be based on whether or not the coach is pleased with their performance. We had had situations where we have had to ban parents from games because they were destroying their kids with negative comments or gestures. These are extreme cases of course, in a perfect world parents would support their kids with positive reinforcement and just enjoy the fact that their kids are involved in something positive. Here in Trini it's a different ball game. The challenges are very different, the infrastructure is simply none existentant...you've got a bunch of different people doing a what they believe is the right thing. No one is really working towards achieving a common goal as it relates to player development. At this point there is no direction, we hitting and hoping. For instance, all coaches involved in youth development should have a set forth curriculum that they should be following based on what we would like to see our players doing at certain age groups. In other words, there should be a model in place that says that at these age groups - success is determined by the fact that your coaching set up is producing players who are very competent in specific areas of the game once they have reached a certain age. And on top of that there should be something out there (a techical report) that relates specifically to T&T player development that any coach can refer to. All youth coaches should have a common approach that is taken based on what the technical director deems necessary based on our deficiencies over the last few years and performances in the various tournaments that our national teams have participated in. Instead what we have are guys down here with Academies that believe that because I win a U11,U12 game - then I must be doing something right - my Academy must be good, when in fact, there is no apparent style of play, no evidence that a system that forces the players at these younger age groups to move the ball properly as opposed to simply swinging their foot at it. We have lots of youth coaches down here who talk about how many wins their teams have as opposed to how brilliantly their teams pass the football - many will use overage players to achieve these results to simply be able to say that the team I have is a wining team, hence I am a good coach. There should be a curriculum available so that everyone who gets into this player development business should have a keen sense of what we all should be attempting to achieve - which is a better, more fundamentally sound player at the older age groups and with the national teams. There should be regular meetings between those that administrate football and those who may have football organizations so that feedback and the exchange of ideas becomes common practice. Sorry about the long post and bad grammar, ah writing from meh phone. there is allot to do. Great thing is that the solutions are very achievable!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:03:05 PM by amwood »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
Amwood breds,don't worry about all the grammer and stuff with me,i myself not good at that stuff,i understood every bit of what you said and thanks for your views/ideas.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
Hit the nail on the head with the relentless focus on results at a youth level - awful thing for kids - if they're winning and you cultivate a culture where that matters, then training can go out the window...

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 11:04:08 PM »
“Development is a measurable, long term, pathway objective. At a youth level the emphasis should not be placed on any one coach, myself included. There should be a system and structure in place.

“All partners involved (should be) working together to achieve a common goal. A long term vision, planning with measurable outcomes, strong financial and human resource investment, nurtured and natural player development pathways, strong coaching bonds working in harmony off the field, yet competing on it, etcetera.”

“It is amazing what can be achieved if no one wants the credit.”…….the head coach from today's Guardian.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 11:20:52 PM »

Agreed...put yuh money where yuh mouth is!!

Sorry, explain why you made this statement. What a guy does with his own money is his business. I mean, if you say we need more police on the streets, I don't expect you to withdraw your savings to pay for them.

But that aside, what do you think Sancho is doing at Central? You ain't seeing 30,000 people at games, no TV deals, no transfers. I'm damn sure he could get a job at Carib or Toyota or somewhere, where he would earn more and not work 70 hours per week.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
It is absolutely mazing the the TTFF/TTFA/TT_ _(insert acronym) after donkey years - mule years really- still does not have a national curiculum, a youth develomental curriculum, coaching modules and some real form of coaches education. Absolutely amazing. These things are not difficult to develop and in a place like T&T implementation, application, analyzing and adapting can be so much more easier and effective.

Where are the Blue Prints that developed Yorke, Latapy, Edwards...etc?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
It is absolutely mazing the the TTFF/TTFA/TT_ _(insert acronym) after donkey years - mule years really- still does not have a national curiculum, a youth develomental curriculum, coaching modules and some real form of coaches education. Absolutely amazing. These things are not difficult to develop and in a place like T&T implementation, application, analyzing and adapting can be so much more easier and effective.

Is not like they've never had them. They've failed to implement them. I don't think they have ever really tried.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
Tobago seem to be proportionally more successful if teh current crop is anything to say - maybe it's because their lower-leagues are properly organised?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Tobago seem to be proportionally more successful if teh current crop is anything to say - maybe it's because their lower-leagues are properly organised?

Yeah, there's a nice crop coming through.

Winchester, Mitchell, Akeem Benjamin, Omarr Charles, Dario Holmes, Darryl Trim. Cyrus at W.Connection and I'm sure there are lots more at other clubs.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »

Far from it.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »

Is not like they've never had them. They've failed to implement them. I don't think they have ever really tried.

Tallman can you direct me to it? Shouldn't this "blueprint" be something that anyone with an interest in football have access to? Also when I posted above, it was with the understanding that the pro league clubs have a youth system in place for developing their players. I know they all make a great effort with their programs. Also is their an email list out there that the technical
director utilizes to communicate events, courses, sanctioned tournaments, seminars that the
association is having, just trying to figure out how you get into the
"Loop" as they say...on the flip side, congrats to Anton on being selected as a FIFA consultant (WE Sports interview last night) his job will involve going into
Concacaf countries and assisting with getting their football
structure and technical programs implemented.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:51:44 AM by amwood »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »

Tallman can you direct me to it? Shouldn't this "blueprint" be something that anyone with an interest in football have access to? Also when I posted above, it was with the understanding that the pro league clubs have a youth system in place for developing their players. I know they all make a great effort with their programs. Also is their an email list out there that the technical
director utilizes to communicate events, courses, sanctioned tournaments, seminars that the
"Loop" as they say...on the flip side, congrats to Anton on being selected as a FIFA consultant (WE Sports interview last night) his job will involve going into
Concacaf countries and assist with getting their football

Great for Anton, he can start in a Country called Trinidad and Tobago. They have an abundant of talented players, but when we attend tournaments and fail to progress, the  technical reports state that Ipods are to blame for failure.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »

Concacaf countries and assisting with getting their football

Great for Anton, he can start in a Country called Trinidad and Tobago. They have an abundant of talented players, but when we attend tournaments and fail to progress, the  technical reports state that Ipods are to blame for failure.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »

Line of the day!!! Ah know it's a serious comment, but my immediate reaction was to  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ... merely because of it's truth ... and the irony that comes with it.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »
What a guy does with his own money is his business.[/b

So yuh have no qualms with what JW do with he money then.... ;D

Anyway, FS d fella is part of your organization and ah sure thats why yuh SO emotional and passionate for yuh club but all Im saying is practice what yuh preach...so if companies should invest..well please educate me...has Mr.Sancho donated any funds towards the drive for d sports academy that he is so enthusiastically is pushing for...??  Set an example....

Ah say it, how ah see it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 05:29:27 AM »

Anyway, FS d fella is part of your organization and ah sure thats why yuh SO emotional and passionate for yuh club but all Im saying is practice what yuh preach...so if companies should invest..well please educate me...has Mr.Sancho donated any funds towards the drive for d sports academy that he is so enthusiastically is pushing for...??  Set an example....

I have no problem with what Jack Warner chooses to do with his own money. Why should I? The issue was always: is he entitled to certain money?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »

I have no problem with what Jack Warner chooses to do with his own money. Why should I? The issue was always: is he entitled to certain money?

Wait rotatopoti is Jack Horner   :o

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:20 PM »

Far from it.

From an outsiders perspective, It's much easier to find info on the Tobago leagues than it is any of the regional associations in Trinidad

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
So Lt.Elan Colombo, because ah have ah difference in opinion....yuh going an make that inference ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 07:36:41 AM »
Lets see if Sancho will work on this now.

He called for it and now he in a position do make it happen.

;D

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
It will not happen and not even the minister of sport or the prime minister can make this happen. Even if one prime minister build it the next one may not continue to fund. It has to be a grassroots effort where parents and communities are pushing sport into the youths.
The mindset is not there
Sport is still viewed as recreation

1]; } ?>