April 23, 2024, 05:48:55 AM

Author Topic: Group E - World Cup 1994  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Group E - World Cup 1994
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
Fellow forumites,  help mih.  Ah was checking out some old Dennis Bergkamp goals when I came across the final group standings in the 1994 World Cup.  I always remembered there was a group that was tied up worst than a market crab.....Group E.

I've just spent the last few minutes trying to figure out how they decided which team should move on but I can't.  From FIFA's website it seems that Mexico and Italy went through to the knock out phase but I can't seem to figure out how.....I'm getting a bit confused trying to apply the different options used to decide tie breakers.....head to head, goal difference, etc.

I tried googling it further but didn't find anything concrete.....here is the link to the FIFA website.....

http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/worldcup/usa1994/matches/index.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Group E - World Cup 1994
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_FIFA_World_Cup#Group_E

Group E

FIFA World Cup Group E

Group E remains the only group in World Cup history in which all four teams finished with the same points. It began when Ray Houghton's chip ensured that Ireland would gain revenge on Italy by reversing a 1–0 scoreline the Italians had beaten them by in the quarter-finals of the previous World Cup. The next day in Washington, Kjetil Rekdal's goal five minutes from time proved decisive in an equally tense encounter as Norway beat Mexico. Mexico however was much more comfortable playing in Orlando, the setting for their next match against Ireland, where the heat proved to be a key factor. Garcia's double had them 2–0 up and in control of the game before a disagreement on the touchline resulted in fines for both Republic of Ireland's manager, Jack Charlton, and their striker John Aldridge. Fortunately for Ireland, Aldridge was able to re-gain concentration in time to score six minutes from the end of the game. Though Ireland still lost the match 2–1, Aldridge's goal proved crucial in the final group standings. The previous day in New Jersey, Italy's World Cup hopes seemed to be diminishing fast as goalkeeper Gianluca Pagliuca was sent off with the game still at 0–0. Yet despite this, Italy were still able to salvage an important 1–0 victory. Norway would ultimately pay a price for their inability to take advantage of Pagliuca's dismissal. With the four teams level on points, the final two group matches would each have to finish as draws for things to stay that way. Republic of Ireland made it through after a dreary 0–0 draw with Norway, whilst midfielders Massaro and Bernal traded strikes as Italy were held 1–1 by Mexico. That result meant that Mexico won the group on goals scored with Ireland and Italy also progressing having finished with identical records (Ireland finishing second on account of the fact that they had beaten Italy when the teams played one another). Norway's shortcomings in attack had ultimately let them down.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Italy went through as one if the best 3rd place teams. That World Cup was 24 teams
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
Italy went through as one if the best 3rd place teams. That World Cup was 24 teams

Oh right back then that was the way they chose the other teams after the two automatic places.......and the choice between Italy and Ireland for 2nd place is clearer for me now it would have been head to head.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>