April 29, 2024, 06:32:17 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Caribbean Cup Thread  (Read 46656 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2014 senior team Caribbean cup participation.
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »
What programs we have going? We doing the same thing that has always been done, prepare a couple months before the tournament. All these teams only playing because the tournaments collide with each other. Wait for these tourney to pass and lets see what happen.

The U17 went and play without proper prep.
The U20 playing SL team to get ready
The Women struggle to go Houston and that still piece-piece (even though it was placed in their lap)
The women now have 5 weeks to get ready to play the #1 team in the world
What is the Men's team doing this past International break?

Maybe I expecting to much, after all is only T&T.

You realize all this preparation yuh calling for costs money, right?  Yuh think "preparing" is as simple as making some phone calls to footballers and telling them to pass thru?

Maybe WConnection Admin should run the TTFA.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T 2014 senior team Caribbean cup participation.
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »
Maybe WConnection Admin should run the TTFA.

Call them and ask them to nah?  See, you have some ideas after all yuh just not making ah effort to help out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2014 Caribbean Cup Thread
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2014, 02:12:42 AM »
Soca Warriors face Dominican Republic in CFU opener.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Record eight-time Caribbean Football Union Cup winners, T&T Soca Warriors will kick off their 2014 Second Round qualifying campaign against Dominican Republic on Wednesday October 8 in the feature match of a double-header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

In the opening match of the Group Seven qualifiers, Antigua and Barbuda faces St Lucia.

The Stephen Hart-coached Soca Warriors will then face St Lucia on October 10 before closing out group play against Antigua & Barbuda two days later, at the end of which the top two teams from the pool will advance to the Final Round eight-team tournament scheduled for Montego Bay, Jamaica from November 10-18 for which host and five-time champion Jamaica, and defendig champion Cuba have already qualified. The top four teams from the finals will qualify to the Concacaf Gold Cup next year.

In the two other second-round series, 2007 champions Haiti host St Kitts/Nevis, Barbados and French Guiana in Group Eight while Guadeloupe entertains Curacao, 1993 winner Martinique and St Vincent and The Grenadines in Group Nine.

The trio of 2012 beaten finalist T&T, Guadeloupe and Haiti were handed byes into the second round while Martinique, Antigua & Barbuda, Curacao and St Kitts/Nevis qualified as first round group winners.

The quintet of St Vincent & The Grenadines, French Guiana, St Lucia and Barbados were group runners-up while Dominican Republic advanced as the best third placed team.

In the first round of qualifiers, Dominican Republic ended third in Group Five after hammering Anguilla 10-0 in its final match after losing to St Vincent and The Grenadines (0-1) and Antigua & Barbuda (2-1).

Antigua & Barbuda crushed Anguilla 6-0 and edged St Vincent and The Grenadines 2-1 in its other match for maximum nine points in the group while St Lucia ended second to St Kitts/Nevis on goal-difference both on seven points. The St Lucians drew 0-0 with St Kitts/Nevis pipped Dominica 2-1 and blanked Guyana 2-0.

The CFU second round qualifiers are expected to be played during a Fifa international window, meaning coach Hart will be able to call his overseas professional should he choose too.

However, the Soca Warriors have not play any matches since facing this year’s Fifa World Cup participants Argentina (0-3) on June 4 and Iran (0-2), four days later and its left to be seen, who Hart will call up to his teamas the local Digicel Pro League is yet to kick off as well.

A source for coach though is the fact that T&T defeated all three of its group opponents in their last encounters, 4-0 over Antigua & Barbuda in 2012; 3-0 against St Lucia in 2010 and a a 9-0 hammering of Dominican Republic in 2008.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
T&T has called up FF Jaro players, Shahdon Winchester and Aubrey David, for the second qualifying round of the Caribbean Cup which takes place in October 2014.
http://online.osterbottenstidning.fi/Artikel/Visa/38419
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline CDR

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
Whos gonna be called up for carib cup?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
My 2014 Caribbean Cup team.
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Allyuh merge when de official release come out.

Jan-Michael Williams, Akini Adams, Zane Coker.

Radanfah Abu Bakr, Sheldon Bateau, Daneil Cyrus, Gavin Hoyte, Justin Hoyte, Aubrey David.

Andre Boucaud, Kevan George, Khaleem Hyland, Ataullah Guerra, Hughtun Hector, Marcus Joseph, Kevin Molino, Lester Peltier, Cordell Cato, Levi Garcia.

Jonathan Glenn, Kenwyne Jones, Kadeem Corbin, Shahdon Winchester.

I eh know if Daniel Cyrus and Hughtun Hector will get release, but Nicholas Walker might be a good replacement for Cyrus and Andre Fortune for Hector.

Jamal Gay doing decent to since they send him in defense midfield, maybe a good replacement for Hyland as Hyland don't play well for T&T anymore.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: My 2014 Caribbean Cup team.
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
Man how can you leave out my man Yohance Marshall after his heroics against Argentina's Finest? :p

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones heads T&T's Caribbean Cup squad; Hart criticises U-20 players
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
Kenwyne heads Warriors roster; Hart keeps shallow player pool
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Twenty-nine-year-old Cardiff City forward Kenwyne Jones will make his regional debut for Trinidad and Tobago next month when he leads the “Soca Warriors” into the Caribbean Cup qualifying series in Couva.

Trinidad and Tobago opens its Caribbean Cup tournament against the Dominican Republic from 8.15 pm on Wednesday October 8 in the second game of a double header at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Tickets are available at $100 for covered stands and $60 for uncovered stands while fans can purchase a special ticket to see all three games for $260.

The Caribbean Football Union’s decision to align its competitive matches with the FIFA international calendar means that, for the first time, national associations can select squads without conflict with foreign-based teams.

And Trinidad and Tobago head coach Stephen Hart will utilise that option as he confirmed, at a press conference today, that he is already assured of eight overseas players in his 20-man squad.

Apart from Jones, Belgium-based midfielder Khaleem Hyland (Racing Genk), England-based midfielder Andre Boucaud (Dagenham & Redbridge), Finland-based utility player Joevin Jones (HJK), the North American-based duo of Kevin Molino (Orlando City) and Carlyle Mitchell (Vancouver Whitecaps) and the Vietnam-based pair of Hughtun Hector and Daneil Cyrus (both Hanoi T&T) will all represent the Warriors in the qualifying stage.

Jones (J), Mitchell, Hector, Molino and Cyrus all participated in the 2012 Caribbean Cup in which the Warriors finished second to Cuba.

Hart explained that the remainder of his squad will be released next week as the TTFA has appealed to the CFU for permission to change its initial shortlist due to injuries.

The head coach suggested that an inability to work with more local-based players, due to a lack of funding for camps or their unavailability through trials, prompted him to stick with his core group of players.

“It is no secret that we wanted to have a local group of players in camp and playing international games because that is the only way you can evaluate them,” said Hart. “… In terms of preparation, I have decided to go with a squad that is familiar with what I have been doing since I took over…

“It is either you go in those games blind not knowing how the players would respond internationally or you go with what is familiar. I chose the latter.”

Hart revealed that he included several national under-20 players in his initial CFU shortlist. However, he might be having second thoughts after he watched the likes of Levi Garcia, Jabari Mitchell, Martieon Watson, Nicholas Dillon and Matthew Woo Ling return to secondary schools football rather than seek out more competitive arenas. Garcia and Dillon are both attached to Central FC’s Pro League first teams.

“There are a few (under-20 players) that were on the 30-man (CFU) roster,” said Hart, “I do have some concerns though because some of them have chosen to play school football…

“Both myself and (national under-20 head coach) Derek King mentioned to them that, if you do have aspirations, you should play at the highest level possible. But I cannot make decisions for them; I can only advise.”

For those who do make the final 20-man squad, Hart suggested a rotation policy might mean playing time for his entire squad as a way of dealing with the CFU’s customary scheduling of three matches in five days.  Although it is the same format followed by the national under-17, under-20 and senior women’s teams, the Warriors coach might be unwilling to cross swords with professional clubs on the matter.

“You have to play three games in the FIFA window with a day off in between each game,” said Hart, “and that in itself—I might stand to be corrected here—doesn’t exactly fall in line with FIFA’s medical guidelines.

“We have to be calculating in how we approach these games and our recovery between games.”

Hart pointed to internal problems as well.

Sixteen months into the job, the former Canada head coach admitted he has not been able to put a program in place to widen his player pool due to the TTFA’s financial shortcomings.

“We have not been in a position to run a consistent program to generate any sort of continuity,” he said. “I can only play the hand that was dealt and I think this is the best approach for this qualification round.

“I have submitted that I would like to play on FIFA dates and if the Pro League has a break… But I have no operating budget.”

At present, the Warriors players and staff are still owed match fees from their exhibition match against Iran in June while even bonuses due from the 2012 Caribbean Cup have not been paid. But Hart declined comment on any TTFA’s debts.

“Please take that up with (general secretary Sheldon) Phillips and (president Raymond) Tim Kee,” said Hart.

Hart is only the second coach to take Trinidad and Tobago into the knockout stage of the CONCACAF Gold Cup while the Warriors’ only defeats in 11 international outings came against 2014 World Cup finalists Argentina, Iran and Mexico and on penalties to the United Arab Emirates in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

He admitted the job was a tough one, particularly due to off the field issues, but suggested that he is committed to the team’s 2018 World Cup campaign.

“I came in here knowing the circumstances (and) it is probably worse than I thought,” said Hart. “But you cannot build anything from the outside… Players and staff have worked very hard to show we can get our part right and we will try to rectify the other parts as soon as possible.

“Yes (the debt to the players and staff) is an issue. But from a technical standpoint the players have responded on the field and taken their issues off the field with the management.”

Hart called on the media to play its part as well in promoting the local game. He suggested that television crews should stop filming games from the covered stands and shoot from the opposite end, so as to show the spectators who generally flock to the covered areas.

And he urged supporters to support their local players too.

“When you look at the (Caribbean Cup) Under-20 tournament that just finished, the quality of the football was not bad at all,” said Hart. “Personally I was a little disappointed in the (size of the) crowd… But it is just a matter of us continuing to do what we can do and try to get it right on the field. And hopefully if we get it right, the people would return to football.

“But if you look at all (levels) of football right now: colleges, Pro League (and) national team and you look in the stands you have to (tell) yourself there is a problem. And football without spectators is a sweat.”

For the first time since 1996, Trinidad and Tobago will be near full strength at the Caribbean Cup and there is a special incentive for the overall tournament winner who will participate at the 2016 Copa America champions alongside South American giants like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:42:19 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
Khaleem Hyland, Andre Boucaud, Joevin Jones, Kevin Molino, Carlyle Mitchell, Hughtun Hector, Daneil Cyrus and Kenwyne Jones were all called up.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Man how can you leave out my man Yohance Marshall after his heroics against Argentina's Finest? :p

Where is Yohance Marshall playing since he left Central FC?
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones heads T&T's Caribbean Cup squad; Hart criticises U-20 players
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2014, 07:51:50 PM »
Seems that BraveHart did the right thing to go with a safe seasoned crew. Remember the Caribbean Cup winner plays in Copa America.
Of course I also agree with his urging of the film crew to record the football games from the uncovered stand to show crowds. Most critical.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:40:06 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
Where is the guy who plays with San Jose? Can't remember his name. He should be on that squad.

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
I am super excited for Copa America. If we can make it....  ;D ;D ;D
It was even added to the international calender so everyone will be there.

And I also agree that filming blue chairs never looks good. And exactly why do our stadiums have blue chairs. Was blue on discount. I would think the chairs would be red, so when the crowd is scanty it doesn't look to stark against the red-shirt supporters.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Good point on the chairs...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »
What happen to the Hoytes? And yes why no invite for Cordell Cato?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
‘KJ’ to captain Caribbean Cup squad.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

England-based Cardiff City striker Kenwyne Jones has been named captain as Trinidad and Tobago will field its most star-studded senior national football team, for many a year, in the upcoming Caribbean Cup competition.

Trinidad and Tobago host one of three Caribbean Cup semi-final groups, which will see the top two teams of each joining champions Cuba and host Jamaica in the 2014 Caribbean Cup finals, to be held in Montego Bay, Jamaica, from November 9-19.

The Soca Warriors play the Dominican Republic (October 8.), St Lucia (October 10) and Antigua-Barbuda (October12). All matches will be played at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

National team head-coach Stephen Hart has submitted a 30-man roster to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), but will only name his final 20-man squad next week. The team goes into camp on October 2 and sees its first action six days later against the Dominican Republic, the second match of an Ato Boldon Stadium double-header.

Vietnam-based midfielder Hughtun Hector gets his first call-up in two years, while Hart has also named Hector's Vietnam teammate defender Daneil Cyrus, Belgium-based Khaleem Hyland, USA-based Kevin Molino, Lester Peltier, English-born Andre Boucard and central defender Carlyle Mitchell, among the invited foreign-based players. Belgium-based former Central FC footballers Willis Plaza and Rundell Winchester are also under consideration.

The national head-coach has also invited some members of the national Under-20 team which was recently crowned Caribbean champions, but expressed alarm that some of these players have returned to a lower level of competition, by playing schoolboy football.

The aim according to Hart is to qualify for a second consecutive CONCACAF Gold Cup. Restricted by resources, Hart will go with a familiar model, using many of the players which lined up for the Soca Warriors against World Cup participants Argentina and Iran back in June.

Hart sees benefits from both Caribbean Cup semi-final and final matches being played within a FIFA international window for the first time. “It does allow us to have the international players and it makes a big difference to our selection,” Hart declared.

“The object is to qualify for the next stage, and then we build on that.” Hart had initially planned to have a locally-based team in training some time ago, but has been limited both by resources and the absence of available local players when they were not in the service of their local clubs.

"A large portion of the available local players were out of the country or on trials,”Hart said of his decision to call several foreigh-based players. Either you go blind, not knowing how a (new) player will react in a situation, or you go with something familiar.”

Hart is not pleased with the short preparation of the national team, and confesses that his work in Trinidad and Tobago had been hampered by a lack of resources by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

But the former Canada-based coach has vowed to develop the football brand on the field, along with his players, while leaving administration to the Association. He feels his players understand what he is trying to build and the financial reality.

“It is not ideal. It is the reality of our football today,” Hart said. “Our resources are at present very limited. I came in here knowing the circumstances,” adding, “It is probably worst than I thought, but we continue to build from the bottom up.”

Admission for matches in the Caribbean Cup qualifying stage is $100 for covered stands and $60 for uncovered. There will also be a three-day ticket at a cost of $260 in the covered stand. Children 12 & under free.

CFU CARIBBEAN CUP SEMI-FINAL FIXTURES:

(October 8.)

Antigua & Barbuda vs St Lucia - 6 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

Trinidad and Tobago vs Dominican Republic - 8.15 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

(October 10)

Dominican Republic vs Antigua & Barbuda - 6 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

Trinidad and Tobago vs St Lucia—8.15 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

(October 12)

St Lucia vs Dominican Republic - 4 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

Trinidad and Tobago vs Antigua & Barbuda - 6. 15 p.m, Ato Boldon Stadium

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:25:29 AM by Flex »

Offline CDR

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
Any internet broadcast??

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
Did KJ go off injured today ?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
happy that Cyrus and hector are back on the team... :beermug:

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Did KJ go off injured today ?
Yep. No idea how serious.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
So de mayor of P.O.S Mr Chin ah can't recall his name right now..not really doin much to help de National Coach..I understand wha goin on ....

Okay no preparation for local players to get dem to dat next level for de futurre ..future is not a recognizable term in Trini football..so, de Coachman decide to use de same set ah players from foreign ..who he not seein on a regular..not sure who  in form and who out ah form..most ah dese men mediocre anyway...playin in less than average league ..in my mind there is much difference between de Pro playin locally and de Pro playin in Kasakstan, Afghanistan, Hindustan, Finland, Greenland ,Iceland..come on de level in  dese places where our so called foreign Pros playin,  relll low ...we could do better to get some kind a local program for building a locally based National Team..yuh mean to say ah man could leave Trinidad and go Sweden or Finland and play in some league over dey only to be called to play for his National team based on dat lone credential..Foreign based Professional ..come on man.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
There is no significant difference between a foreign Trinidad Professional and a local Professional playing in leagues of similar levels.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
So de mayor of P.O.S Mr Chin ah can't recall his name right now..not really doin much to help de National Coach..I understand wha goin on ....

Okay no preparation for local players to get dem to dat next level for de futurre ..future is not a recognizable term in Trini football..so, de Coachman decide to use de same set ah players from foreign ..who he not seein on a regular..not sure who  in form and who out ah form..most ah dese men mediocre anyway...playin in less than average league ..in my mind there is much difference between de Pro playin locally and de Pro playin in Kasakstan, Afghanistan, Hindustan, Finland, Greenland ,Iceland..come on de level in  dese places where our so called foreign Pros playin,  relll low ...we could do better to get some kind a local program for building a locally based National Team..yuh mean to say ah man could leave Trinidad and go Sweden or Finland and play in some league over dey only to be called to play for his National team based on dat lone credential..Foreign based Professional ..come on man.

The vast majority of the best T&T players playing in foreign leagues.  The rest who ply their trade in the PFL, by definition, are not as good.

As for players being called to the national teams solely because they play in Sweden and Finland, that's the reality.  And that reality is an indictment of the state of football in T&T today.  You mightn't like it, but it doesn't make it any less real.

Getting selected to the national team because you feelin sorry for somebody and want to give dem a bligh eh cutting it

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
KJ must start putting away chances instead of missing them,he still misses too many half chances which are usually put away by others.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »
I think it's worth reminding eveyone that the last competitive games that most of the locals played in was vs Argentina and Iran. He would have seen Central vs Connection last Saturday, which was a pretty poor game. He also saw the U20's in competitive action up close, hence the reason for wanting to include some of them.

Therefore, I believe he made the right choice in going with what he knows.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
KJ must start putting away chances instead of missing them,he still misses too many half chances which are usually put away by others.
Curious who these others are that are currently eligible to play for T&T
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2014, 01:46:35 AM »

Where is Yohance Marshall playing since he left Central FC?

Still unattached, but there's a potential big-money move for him. We'll see :)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
palos,               I meant his club football in England.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:00:33 PM by frico »

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
I knew it wouldn't last. He does it every time. Starts with a bang them whimpers off.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »
I knew it wouldn't last. He does it every time. Starts with a bang them whimpers off.
If you actually follow what the fans are saying, he's consistently putting in Man of the Match performances. It weird to see nobody on a message board criticizing him at all, for a man who always split opinion. Goal streak done, but he still setting them up and apparently he like a madman all over the pitch. He either find back his passion or his level, but he ain't whimper out this season yet at all.

1]; } ?>