April 28, 2024, 06:15:27 AM

Author Topic: Let's have community Pro-League teams  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Let's have community Pro-League teams
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »
It just dawn on me we talking about community Pro-League teams and POS (Savannah)is not mentioned,it's a pity the home of T&T Football don't have Football any more,Youth,Senior,Club,League games,North/South,International games etc etc

I often pass by the Savannah and when i look across that green area and see Goalpost standing there nobody playing i can identify where all the clubs practiced,Malvern, Maple,Colts, Midvale,Casuals, Harvard Paragon,Providence,Luton Town etc the Minor Leagues played,Northern League etc when u look at the amount of Football that was played in that Savannah alone now that's no more one can see where our Football went.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:38:26 PM by Coop's »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
Yea it would really be a nod to the history, and good for attendances I'm sure, if we could get a cup final or grudge match played in the Savannah once or twice a year

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
I was doing research on the Osmani Trust, who work in Tower Hamlets (mainly the Bangladeshi Community, they were formed in response to National Front Racist attacks during the 1980s);

http://www.osmanitrust.org/about/

They are apolitical because their members are apolitical - there's a lot of voter apathy in the community as politicians frequently lie to them to secure their votes. If you want it to be apolitical you'll probably have to rely on private donations, but this specific organisation are quite context-specific in that all of the organisers were members from a young age too - so the organisation sees people go through from recipient to social worker (where they get formal qualifications as part of the sustainable impact) and then they often go into the private sector for 10/20 years before coming back and supporting it at a higher level, bringing their experience.

Looks pretty interesting. Thanks.

Thats right. More and more NPO/NGO are going towards that direction i.e. private donors and support from the private sector. In America the the NPOs and private sector has formed strong bonds. Many organizations are starting to approach the private sector for support before going to the govt. I will leave it at that as I dont want to go off topic.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Essential in the current climate, but it's always best to work in partnership with your community, involving them in the delivery rather than focusing on volunteers or students - something that comes under participatory methods. By doing so you give them skills and experience for their CV.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Essential in the current climate, but it's always best to work in partnership with your community, involving them in the delivery rather than focusing on volunteers or students - something that comes under participatory methods. By doing so you give them skills and experience for their CV.

No doubt. Social Enterprising is changing the landscape of NPOs. I am surprised that it wasnt initiated and practised a long time ago by NPOs. 

We can finish this conversation in the general discussion area.. I think its about time this forum get a business/networking section  ;).

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 04:04:31 AM »
Hah yea, there's a chequered history about it, mostly coming from either "White man's privilege", where in-build cultural racism/expectation builds a picture where the 'noble' white man (usually a man) has to help the rest of the poor rest of the world, or an entitlement where "I'm giving the money so you take what I give you and shut up". Both produce a situation where those they're supposed to be helping are left helpless with no control over their fate, accepting help from people they can't hold to account and who don't listen to them when they try to point out what's actually going wrong in the community.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »
Hah yea, there's a chequered history about it, mostly coming from either "White man's privilege", where in-build cultural racism/expectation builds a picture where the 'noble' white man (usually a man) has to help the rest of the poor rest of the world, or an entitlement where "I'm giving the money so you take what I give you and shut up". Both produce a situation where those they're supposed to be helping are left helpless with no control over their fate, accepting help from people they can't hold to account and who don't listen to them when they try to point out what's actually going wrong in the community.

Sounds like Trinidad!! ;D

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
You'd be shocked at how well paved the path to hell is with good intentions :(

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »

What you stated above has some truth, or some of us would agree with that sentiment totally. But the same thing happened in TT when a "brother" held one of the most powerful  administrative post in international football. He was/is a man of action. He get things done. Look at us now.

1]; } ?>