April 23, 2024, 06:25:21 AM

Author Topic: SWO is looking for a Moderator.  (Read 14381 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
SWO is looking for a Moderator.
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
Hi guys.

The SWO is looking for a 2 new moderators for the football section and for the general section. We are trying to do something new every year until we can find a "perfect moderator", and when I mean perfect, someone who has the time to commit a bit more.

For example, when a moderator is introduced he/she has a year on the job and will be evaluated at the end of each year.

Please send me via PM your LOI (Letter of Interest) and include Tallman as well. All applicants will be placed in a poll and then the forum gets to vote.

One week from today this will be closed, so don't miss out on a chance to be part of the SWO team, we appreciate your interest and support.

PS: Bakes has dropped off as he does not have a time to really do the job but, he continues to be a proud member.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: SWO is looking for a Moderator.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
Thanks for your contribution Bakes

Happy New Year to you and yours Flex, Tallman, and all de SWO family.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:29:42 PM »

Happy to help out, this process should make forumites happy as well as they'll have direct input in the selection.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
Leh we see who go throw they hat in, all de people who had problems with Bakes should apply now.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
Leh we see who go throw they hat in, all de people who had problems with Bakes should apply now.

God forbid i hope u throw your hat in,u have problems with everybody.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

;D  Oh lorse,, look mista coop makin joke and takin shot
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »

Happy to help out, this process should make forumites happy as well as they'll have direct input in the selection.
second that  :beermug: We will continue to disagree on everything, but the value you add is tops.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »

Well in that case I wouldn't get it.

;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
second that  :beermug: We will continue to disagree on everything, but the value you add is tops.

Thanks breds, much appreciated  :beermug:

;D

Sam, based on recent precedent that might mean you's just de man fuh de job  ;D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
You know what it is, every week someone complaining about Bakes and to me the man did a good job, however, no one stepping forward to fill the void.

I know he gets busy and I wanted someone a little more committed (time wise), maybe I jumped the gun?.... Makes me wonder if I should just reinstate him.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
Do it Flex, he handled the scenes well in my eyes and without volunteers no need to even think too hard about it.  I would put my hat in but with 3 yutes home to tend to, I would be lying if I pledged to be committed any more than during my work hours.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
You know what it is, every week someone complaining about Bakes and to me the man did a good job, however, no one stepping forward to fill the void.

I know he gets busy and I wanted someone a little more committed (time wise), maybe I jumped the gun?.... Makes me wonder if I should just reinstate him.

Every week people complaining? This is a football site. Men spend all their life complaining about referees!!
A moderator here is in a similar position to a match official. When does anyone ever say "The mods are doing a great job"?
Truth is, mods are doing a job that no one else wants to do. And the worse complainers are always the first to say that they're too busy to do the job!
Could you imagine Sir Alex being a ref?  :rotfl:
To me, a moderator is like a ref: if you don't know he's there, he's doing a great job. So on that basis, let me say "Well done Bakes"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that Flex,i would of try and fill the void but i can't take Sam riding my butt for a whole year,your decision to reinstate Bakes for another term is welcomed by me,the guy is consistent and we know what to expect.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Thanx for your input guys.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 02:16:53 PM »
Coops, I will be in Trinidad Feburary 28, my number 664-2321, we go drink some f00cking rum.

Its not always activate because I am not living there, so once it change I will give you.

But keep that number handy.

Ah hope yuh could handle some babash, we go see who ha mouth.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
wha is de pay?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
wha is de pay?

When we start charging visitors, we will start paying...

;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »

Well look I didn't even self know people was complaining... ah well.

I appreciate those who support me returning to the position, but I good.  Truth is my free time ebbs and flows... there are times when I have to drop everything, sleep included, and work like a beast to meet certain deadlines.  On the flip side there are times when I siddung in de office watching football or ketching up on paperwork.  So it goes when yuh wukking fuh yuhself, not always easy to predict what yuh schedule will look like from week to week.  This is a chance fuh somebody else to step forth and help out... instead it seems people making deyself scarce.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »
Being the site administrator or being a moderator is a demanding job. No matter what you do, somebody go take issue.

So hats off to everyone (past, present and future) involved in managing this site  - on-line and off-line.  :beermug:

PS: I nominate Dutty for Moderator
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:41 PM »

Thanks breds, much appreciated  :beermug:

;D

Sam, based on recent precedent that might mean you's just de man fuh de job  ;D

Indeed. Bakes has been a "thorn in the heel" for many posters on here. Replacing him will be tough.. Cant believe people complained to Flex about Bakes.

On another note, I think its time we get a business and networking section on this site? We have a section for Entertainment, jokes, etc.. It will be good to read and exchange business related resources amongst my Soca Warrior brethren.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:22:42 AM »

;D  Oh lorse,, look mista coop makin joke and takin shot

Gey dem Coops!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 06:29:25 AM »
Being the site administrator or being a moderator is a demanding job. No matter what you do, somebody go take issue.

So hats off to everyone (past, present and future) involved in managing this site  - on-line and off-line.  :beermug:

It don't have to be all that demanding if the folks on here could be reasonable and get along,i have seen good posters who don't post any more,it used to have guys from other countries who used to post we run them,don't talk about our female posters we put them down like they don't know Football,at one time i was scared to post because of the threats,abuse etc thanks to guys like Flex,Palos,Deeks,Bakes i'm still here.

I'm not saying u have to agree with what posters saying but lets try and respect people for the contributions they are making,this is what makes the Forum what it is.Bye the way what is the job description of a moderator,what is required of that person?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:34:26 AM by Coop's »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
i would take on the position but i bet i have as much people who dislike me as bakes or more... :D

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »

boy doh make joke...yuh go open ah pandora box wit da one

if ah get da wukk... ah bannin everybody...you is de first one go get ban for dat  manicou avatar
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
E-gal·i·tar·i·an   (-gl-târ-n)
adj.
Affirming, promoting, or characterized by belief in equal political, economic, social, and civil rights for all people.
[From French égalitaire, from égalité, equality, from Latin aequlits, from aequlis, equal; see equal.]
e·gali·tari·an n.
e·gali·tari·an·ism n.

It is with some trepidation that I embark on this subject but I felt that in keeping with the philosophy of the forum " talk yuh talk" here I go.

In my opinion, I think that the egalitarian gesture of offering the 'forumnites' an opportunity to vote on a moderator may turn into a 'popular vote' rather than an informed decision.  I mean how many people really know the people who are posting in here outside of their ' alter ego' online posting/ ranting or pontificating?

It is  no secret that under the trusting directorship of Flex and Tallman, the site has grown and transformed into one of the most eclectic TNT social media forums.  Without public input, decisions were made and changes occurred which once all got use to have proved to be very successful.

So As egalitarian as the gesture maybe In my my humble opinion the ownership should be have the say in deciding who are most apt to be moderators. We the fans are not shareholders but are recipients of the hard work and vision of these men.  How many CEO's  defer the final decisions to fans?
I applause the gesture by Flex. Once more it shows his openness and willingness to make things work and to please the general public however given the track record  by both Flex and Tallman, I would leave. The decision in their hands and trust their choices.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:28:10 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:35 AM »
E-gal·i·tar·i·an   (-gl-târ-n)
adj.
Affirming, promoting, or characterized by belief in equal political, economic, social, and civil rights for all people.
[From French égalitaire, from égalité, equality, from Latin aequlits, from aequlis, equal; see equal.]
e·gali·tari·an n.
e·gali·tari·an·ism n.

It is with some trepidation that I embark on this subject but I felt that in keeping with the philosophy of the forum " talk yuh talk" here I go.

In my opinion, I think that the egalitarian gesture of offering the 'forumnites' an opportunity to vote on a moderator may turn into a 'popular vote' rather than an informed decision.  I mean how many people really know the people who are posting in here outside of their ' alter ego' online posting/ ranting or pontificating?

It is  no secret that under the trusting directorship of Flex and Tallman, the site has grown and transformed into one of the most eclectic TNT social media forums.  Without public input, decisions were made and changes occurred which once all got use to have proved to be very successful.

So As egalitarian as the gesture maybe In my my humble opinion the ownership should be have the say in deciding who are most apt to be moderators. We the fans are not shareholders but are recipients of the hard work and vision of these men.  How many CEO's  defer the final decisions to fans?
I applause the gesture by Flex. Once more it shows his openness and willingness to make things work and to please the general public however given the track record  by both Flex and Tallman, I would leave. The decision in their hands and trust their choices.

Ah but if the vote was simply an exercise in egalitarian/pluralistic decision making your point would be made, but voting is typically perceived as a question of legitimacy - if the forum votes for the moderator they internalise some of the blame for that decision and thus if they turn out to be a vote-banning sociopath then they can look to themselves :p

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »

Ah but if the vote was simply an exercise in egalitarian/pluralistic decision making your point would be made, but voting is typically perceived as a question of legitimacy - if the forum votes for the moderator they internalise some of the blame for that decision and thus if they turn out to be a vote-banning sociopath then they can look to themselves :p

@ AB and Tireais: Ah have to agree with AB here. This site belong to Flex and dem. I presume the funding coming from their own pockets? The site is Ad free.  While they may solicit opinions from the forum, is up to them to run the site as they see fit.

@ Dutty: would you rather I change my Manicou to a "piece ah pork"?  But if all it takes is for me to get ban from the site to make you moderator, I go delete my account.

@ Coops: i suspect even if members were well behaved, it does still take time to administer this site. Ah wonder how many hrs/week Flex andTallman is spend on this site?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
mod·er·ate
[adj., n. mod-er-it, mod-rit; v. mod-uh-reyt]
adjective

1. kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense

verb (used with object), mod·er·at·ed, mod·er·at·ing.

2 . to reduce the excessiveness of; make less violent, severe, intense, or rigorous: to moderate the sharpness of one's words.

3. to preside over or at (a public forum, meeting, discussion, etc.)

Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English moderate  (adj.), moderaten  (v.) < Latin moderātus  (past participle of moderārī  to restrain, control), equivalent to moderā-  verb stem (see modest) + -tus  past participle suffix

Since the dictionary has been introduced.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:39:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
Calling Kicker to report for duty.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 12:47:44 AM »
This is not one of the definition of the role nor it's duties but an understanding of the process in allocating the said role.
It appears to me that the process is from my understanding:
1 if one is interested, they submit a LOI to Flex and Tallman
2. Names of the interested parties are compiled and posted for the public to vote on

My query is really about who has the final decision on the candidate? Is the vote to decide on the candidate or is it to gather additional data to help inform the decision?
Does the voting legitimize the choice if so is there a probable danger in that the decision,if left to the populace, could turn into. A popularity vote? How informed are the voters about the candidates? And what subjective criteria will they be basing their voting on?
So I have no objection to the intent just wanted to give my two bits about the process. In the final analysis, it would have little bearing on the proceedings or the daily running  of the site. I say to all big people " To thine own self be true" and " all will be well "

1]; } ?>