April 19, 2024, 10:44:15 PM

Author Topic: The Inferiority Complex & Insecurity Displayed by Football Fans in T&T  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
The insecure remarks and negative, pessimistic nature of the local population in T&T is sickening. There are a few who do not harbor this deep rooted inferiority and have the confidence, self esteem and intelligence to overcome obstacles and challenges. But sadly, the vast majority are stuck in a mindset that doesn't allow them to see the bigger picture and realize that we are all equals.

Despite language, ethnicity and culture, football can be a very unpredictable sport. It's the team that shows up on the day and it is played between 11 men on each side that involves one keyword "Team". Whether the opposition has the best or best players in the world, it doesn't make a difference. It boils down to confidence, strategy and hard work as a unit, on that given day.

Someone who is highly insecure would indeed resort to giving up before the match has even been played or even before the players have been selected. This stems from lack of self belief and self confidence in oneself and their nation, their peers.

How do we defeat this mentality, well there is only way, blocking it out and proving to the naysayers that something is definitely wrong with them and that society as a whole in Trinidad needs to re-examine itself and their approach to life and sport.

You cannot win with some of these people verbally or in writing, because their ignorance knows no bounds. You have to win on the field and that will speak louder than words.

I am not preaching that you must not respect and underestimate your opponent and be prepared for them but you must believe in yourself first and believe you can win before stepping on that pitch. You must also  block out the negative energy of individuals who are insecure and have this inferiority complex about themselves and their nation.

As true fans of T&T football, we need to unite against negativity and support our football team and its coach to do well in 2014 and that God will always be our guide in footballing journey. Win, lose or draw you must always think of yourself as a winner...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:55:27 PM by Controversial »

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
Re: The Inferiority Complex & Insecurity Displayed by Football Fans in T&T
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
I with you on this. Just came back from Trini on Sunday.  While I was down deh...ah say maybe i would look into purchasing the new Joma Jersey.  Asked a few people, freinds and family before going out to look for it on meh own...Boy....dey planase meh with talk..."Why you wasting ya money on that shit team?"  "Boy you mad or wha...why ya doh look to spend ya money on someting good?"   ah say well yes!!!. let me go out and look for this ting on meh own, cause is a waste asking the general public about we football. They just don't care. I tried looking own meh own......Couldn't find de jersey no where.    ah finally find it in The fan club in Trincity on de last day of my stay. 

Doh worry ah want de warriors to do good and den we will see all ah dem supporting. ah watching and waiting fuh dem....ah done mark all ah dem.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:05:34 PM by CAPITANO »
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
I with you on this. Just came back from Trini on Sunday.  While I was down deh...ah say maybe i would look into purchasing the new Joma Jersey.  Asked a few people, freinds and family before going out to look for it on meh own...Boy....dey planase meh with talk..."Why you wasting ya money on that shit team?"  "Boy you mad or wha...why ya doh look to spend ya money on someting good?"   ah say well yes!!!. let me go out and look for this ting on meh own, cause is a waste asking the general public about we football. They just don't care. I tried looking own meh own......Couldn't find de jersey no where.    ah finally find it in The fan club in Trincity on de last day of my stay. 

Doh worry ah want de warriors to do good and den we will see all ah dem supporting. ah watching and waiting fuh dem....ah done mark all ah dem.
Sound like ah bunch of Wagonists to me!
Why did you not tell them all this:
Were you wagonists not the greatest Soca Warriors supporters back in 2006 when we against all odds qualified for the 2006 World Cup?
Well why not support your team in the bad times as well as the good times? That is what true love for and diehard support for your team is all about so that when we do qualify again in the future against all the odds you can proudly proclaim to everyone that you are not one of the recent wagonists.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:26:03 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »
I've heard murmurs about this from friends and family and I can personally speak from experience about the difficulty of finding a jersey and I got the same reaction. I went POS, Sando mall, found it in the end in a small (well to an Englishman) mall type thing between Diego Martin and POS - one shirt, in white.... Even Westmoorings didn't have it and they looked as if I was speaking martian when I asked for a damn shirt! Good luck finding a Pro League shirt - I have a Defence Force jersey 'cause the missus' father was in the army, but I literally haven't a clue how you'd get any of the other jerseys.

I have my theories, but I'm speaking from ignorance so want to qualify them heavily. There's a massive focus on America and the UK in Trini from what I saw - really detrimentally so. They'll know some dead-beat scumbag rapper but won't know that the Pan-African movement was founded by a Trini lawyer. They'll all have a Premiership team, but don't care for Pro League. They'll support England/Spain/Italy but won't even know Trini are playing. I went ot a bar on the Avenue to watch Trini v Peru in Easter last year and I was the only person interested - on a small screen.

Also Pro-tip for Englishmen - a double whiskey on the rocks is a lot more than expected!

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Idk nah...I is think abt us trinis and sports...and the conclusion I came too...ever heard the saying...."rum done, fren done,"...same thing in sports...they in for a good lime at the oval...that's as far as it goes....inorder for us to be recognized as a true football nation, society has to get on board...until then...we're carnival nation...good for a good lime!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
Is it insecurity and inferiority or just indifference?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »

They'll all have a Premiership team, but don't care for Pro League. They'll support England/Spain/Italy but won't even know Trini are playing. I went ot a bar on the Avenue to watch Trini v Peru in Easter last year and I was the only person interested - on a small screen.

[/quote]

Is years now whenever I go back home I experiencing the same shite in trying to buy jurseys. Look nah yuh eh have tuh go home to deal with this. Just watch the board. In here and yuh go see how many ah dem rather talk up and  deal with all kinda fantasy ball rather than talk about or promote we own.  Man rather kill people thread than post in discussion about we  own football. We have to dig out the yampee in we eye before we go piss on others.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
I does get enough licks on this forum for local Football so i have nothing to say but i just want to mention something on the Jerseys.

I have seen the new Jerseys at one or two shops in POS,Kennys/Sports and Games,i also saw them outside the stadium at those international games that i attended.

My senses tells me like they trying to sell out the old ones,may be they had a lot of stock because every sports store have a lot of old Jerseys any size or colour u want.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
The pro-league should be doing all in their power to retail their product. At the stadiums,  they should set up shop with the jerseys etc. The TTFA should be doing the same thing with the national team jerseys. If the retail store not interested, they have to do it on their own.

Oh, by the way, this inferiority complex does not apply to football only.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:51:01 PM by Deeks »

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Absence makes the heart fonder and yuh never miss the water till the well run dry...........maybe foreign nationals are just a bit more nostalgic and passionate because of this when it comes to almost anything from back home..........and then it's the opposite for some back home

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »

Indifference means lack of interest, disinterest, that is indeed present when it comes to supporting the ttfa because of their negligence over the years. However, our fans, populous are insecure and the inferiority complex stems from their lack of belief in themselves, their country and their people. The TTFA cannot be blamed for this mentality and it's exemplified with comments like "more Messi jerseys will be in the stadium than our national kit". That is not indifference... Indifference is not the root of the problem.
And it is certainly not at the heart of those comments about the jerseys and the team.

Also there isn't a lack of interest in watching world football, la liga, premiership, the interest is there. They will run out and buy the jersey or run out and buy a marley jersey, ask them if they are buying a national jersey? That is not indifference, TT is now a place where the kids are pseudo this and pseudo that because they are insecure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:10:15 PM by Controversial »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »

Indifference means lack of interest, disinterest, that is indeed present when it comes to supporting the ttfa because of their negligence over the years. However, our fans, populous are insecure and the inferiority complex stems from their lack of belief in themselves, their country and their people. The TTFA cannot be blamed for this mentality and it's exemplified with comments like "more Messi jerseys will be in the stadium than our national kit". That is not indifference... Indifference is not the root of the problem.
And it is certainly not at the heart of those comments about the jerseys and the team.

Also there isn't a lack of interest in watching world football, la liga, premiership, the interest is there. They will run out and buy the jersey or run out and buy a marley jersey, ask them if they are buying a national jersey? That is not indifference, TT is now a place where the kids are pseudo this and pseudo that because they are insecure.
      :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »
We are currently shrouded in mediocrity as far football in this country goes. Almost everything is executed in a "subpar" manner. You cannot ask people anywhere to buy into something that they perceive as inferior. What makes it harder is that the people who claim to love the game here in Trini are exposed everyday to what a professional product looks like on television - from the promotion of it, to the execution of it come game day. Is the product of football currently offered in T&T something that really gets you excited? Is there a player, a coach, ah team in this country that affects you in a manner that stirs up true excitement? These are the questions that people who are involved in the product of football need to ask themselves. When we (myself included) start offering real answers to those questions we will either come to the conclusion that we are simply not ready to offer football to the public, or, we will accept the challenge of doing it at a much higher level.

People in Trini love they fetes, right now - that is all I seem to here people talk about down here. In response to this, one has to say the people who offer these events have stepped up their game immensely. Most outdoor fetes offered in Trini rival any outdoor concert or festival I have attended outside - from the variety of the rum they offering, to the lighting, tuh the overall entertainment package. The point is fete is what Trini like and the people that offer it have stepped up their game - they have created a demand and people eating it up. Hell even my old secondary school have become "players" in fete business, and, I never thought I would have seen the day. They promote the sh it out of this thing and people cyan find tickets. The point ah trying to make is that we have to apply that same effort and and commitment into producing something in football that would make these people here in Trini want to get behind the thing.

In stating all ah this, it is with the understanding that their are exceptions to rule. There are indeed people who making ah real effort and they should be commended.   

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »

Again I think you pointing the finger in the wrong direction, this time away from the TTFA. I think the TTFF is culpable (in the majority) with the insecurities, inferiority and indifference of fans and players.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 04:11:41 AM »
insecurity was probably bred by the shitstorm brewed by the last TTFF and coupled with our slide and shit performances post 2006...ignorance breeds this current insecurity because anyone who closely follows the progress of the team esp under Hart can see that we're putting something really decent together that is markedly different than what existed under the TTFF in recent times..

..also, iz football..any follower of the sport knows how results can go..im just interested in the fellas putting out a good performance out there..lots of scouts lots of media attention out there...need to keep these kind of freindlies coming in...no more guyanas and st vincents..

Offline CAPITANO

• Full Warrior
  • I heart zaboka
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
Absence makes the heart fonder and yuh never miss the water till the well run dry...........maybe foreign nationals are just a bit more nostalgic and passionate because of this when it comes to almost anything from back home..........and then it's the opposite for some back home

Cant speak for others, but ive been a die hard fan since my pops took me to the oval back in 88 or 89 when the strike squad took on Honduras.  Ever since that day I've been hooked.  I know a lot of people live abroad now and are more passionate about stuff back home only because they miss it....but its not the case for me.....Always loved Soca and football from since i small.....lol
WE JAMMIN STILL!!!!!!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »

Ok so in your haste to label the T&T fans as having insecurities and inferiority complex you forgot to take into consideration many factors in attracting and entertaining fans. Football must be viewed from the administrative side as a business. Like amwood mentioned the party game in T&T is off the charts. You attend parties that can rival any party around the world. Lets look at how the TTFF/A has failed to attract fans, entertain fans and keep fans coming back

Let's explore this a bit.

Product - in order to gain peoples' attention you must have a quality product that people will want to use/be part of.
- What benefits will the product provide?
- How will consumers react to the product?

Branding - you have to be able to reach your target audience with consistent, specific, information.
- How will consumers access the product consistently?
- How is your product different/better than established/similar/comparative products on the market?

Launching - presenting the product to your audience
- How?
- When?

Analysis - looking at how the product was received by your target audience and what improvements can be made.

Sustainability - You must be able to consistently meet your audience demands. Outside of meeting those demands you must constantly engage your audience with varying choices of your product.

Community - Through constant interaction and services to your audience you should initiate some form of loyalty program in an effort to allow your audience to make your product their own. This is where fans and supporters are develop and relationships are formed.

The TTFF made (from my recollection) two (2) major attempts at branding the MNT.

1. Strike Squad/Road to Italy/Kaisoca Soccer - Which was quickly abandonned after JW made off with all the money. Also no efforts were made to reconcile fans emotional let down from the results of the game that day.

2. Germany/Soca Warriors/ticket or leave it - Again after the WC JW made off with all the money leaving once again a major feeling of resentment, bitterness and another emotional void among supporters. Once again no efforts to reconcile with fans

Other efforts at commercializing, "94 for sure", I think it had one more after this, Beckham to T&T, Youth WCs.

The TTFF never place a premium on long-term product development and placement. Therefore,  fans turn to a product where they can rely on service, entertainment and be a part of the "team". These products are Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, Man United, Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, etc. These products are branded, they are sustainable, and they provide a community.
In todays world you cannot just say "Braps, loook meh!" Not gonna work. Every Footballing organization in the world guard their product with utmost vigilance. The TTFF, not so much. No calendar, no interaction, no responsibility, no product placement, no sustainability, no community, no loyalty.

Producers compete for the public business. Successful Producers know that people have many choices when it comes to exchanging their money for services, therefore, successful producers consistently engage their audience to ensure that their product is being chosen.

So to say fans are insecure or have some form of inferiority complex may not be entirely true.

Offline Gauchita

• New Warrior
  • Argentina hasta la muerte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
In my home country, when my team (River Plate) was relegated in second division for the first time ever, the fans remained strong and supportive. Same with the fans of Racing Club de Avellaneda, you still see the fans with the Racing jersey being constantly mocked by other teams and people but they remain faithful and loyal. It's great to see.
Ole ole ole, ole ole ole ola, ole ole ole cada dia te quiero mas, soy argentina, es un sentimientooo, no puedo pararrrr!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:52 PM »
In my home country, when my team (River Plate) was relegated in second division for the first time ever, the fans remained strong and supportive. Same with the fans of Racing Club de Avellaneda, you still see the fans with the Racing jersey being constantly mocked by other teams and people but they remain faithful and loyal. It's great to see.

Ahí viene la hinchada ...
que loca que está!
ahí viene la hinchada ...
que loca que está!
Vamos vamos millonario
que tenemos que ganar!
  ;)

Ustedes son un grupo ruidoso.  :devil:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:53:30 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Gauchita

• New Warrior
  • Argentina hasta la muerte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »
LOL Por que somos los mejores! ;) y MILLONARIOS! No como los bosteros!  :P
Ole ole ole, ole ole ole ola, ole ole ole cada dia te quiero mas, soy argentina, es un sentimientooo, no puedo pararrrr!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Irony........

Trinis living in foreign longing for trinidad jersey

Trinis living in trinidad longing for foreign jersey

Everybody want what they don't have......

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
I in foreign and as much as I would like a TT jersey, I eh killing myself over it. But I think the post 2006 debacle has taking a toll on people's taste for football.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »

Ok so in your haste to label the T&T fans as having insecurities and inferiority complex you forgot to take into consideration many factors in attracting and entertaining fans. Football must be viewed from the administrative side as a business. Like amwood mentioned the party game in T&T is off the charts. You attend parties that can rival any party around the world. Lets look at how the TTFF/A has failed to attract fans, entertain fans and keep fans coming back

Product - in order to gain peoples' attention you must have a quality product that people will want to use/be part of.

Branding - you have to be able to reach your target audience with consistent, specific, information.
- How is your product different/better than established/similar/comparative products on the market?

- How?
- When?

Analysis - looking at how the product was received by your target audience and what improvements can be made.

Sustainability - You must be able to consistently meet your audience demands. Outside of meeting those demands you must constantly engage your audience with varying choices of your product.

Community - Through constant interaction and services to your audience you should initiate some form of loyalty program in an effort to allow your audience to make your product their own. This is where fans and supporters are develop and relationships are formed.

The TTFF made (from my recollection) two (2) major attempts at branding the MNT.

1. Strike Squad/Road to Italy/Kaisoca Soccer - Which was quickly abandonned after JW made off with all the money. Also no efforts were made to reconcile fans emotional let down from the results of the game that day.

2. Germany/Soca Warriors/ticket or leave it - Again after the WC JW made off with all the money leaving once again a major feeling of resentment, bitterness and another emotional void among supporters. Once again no efforts to reconcile with fans

Other efforts at commercializing, "94 for sure", I think it had one more after this, Beckham to T&T, Youth WCs.

The TTFF never place a premium on long-term product development and placement. Therefore,  fans turn to a product where they can rely on service, entertainment and be a part of the "team". These products are Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, Man United, Messi, Ronaldo, Drogba, etc. These products are branded, they are sustainable, and they provide a community.
In todays world you cannot just say "Braps, loook meh!" Not gonna work. Every Footballing organization in the world guard their product with utmost vigilance. The TTFF, not so much. No calendar, no interaction, no responsibility, no product placement, no sustainability, no community, no loyalty.

Producers compete for the public business. Successful Producers know that people have many choices when it comes to exchanging their money for services, therefore, successful producers consistently engage their audience to ensure that their product is being chosen.

So to say fans are insecure or have some form of inferiority complex may not be entirely true.

Excellent post man!

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
We are not a serious people..preparation of a football team for somewhere in the distant future requires seriousness..therefore if Trinidad going to play Argentina somewhere in the future the expectation would be very low..because we already  know that we are not a serious people.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 11:35:11 PM »

- How?
- When?

I agree that sport is a form of entertainment, however in other nations a party match does not need to be staged in order for fans to love the game itself or to attract them to see their national team play. There is something called patriotism and pride. Which is lacking in T&T because of insecurity and once again the inferiority complex of many.

One simple thing you learn in economics, supply and demand. If locals demand a product, the suppliers will provide it, if they are not demanding a product, the suppliers won't supply it. I know what you are thinking, what drives demand?

Then of course, you will list, brand, marketing, launching, tra lala. I am very familiar with marketing strategies and implementation but I am also familiar with love and patriotism and regardless of the circumstances and situation, consumers will buy a product because they feel connected to it.

You can have TTFA launch a big marketing scheme and after so many millions are spent, their return would put them in the red and the reason why that would happen is because, the fans are not loyal in T&T because of what I started this topic on originally.

There is a disconnect, TTFF/TTFA is a part of the disconnect to a certain extent but the vast majority can be attributed to a lack thereof. I dare say it again, as to why, because I think you catch the drift. Because if you need fetes, marketing campaigns and all the hoopla to attract fans to see their nation play, then you need to ask yourself, is it the team or is it the fans and culture.

Because I grew up in Toronto and the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup in the NHL since 1967... But guess what, their is a waiting list for season tickets and almost every game is sold out and millions watch it worldwide.

On to you...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:33:45 PM by Controversial »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
But there is demand - how else would minor leagues keep messing with professional footballers and the Eddie Hart league and community teams (Guaya, Sando) get such high attendance? The Jack Warner years definitely had a massive detrimental effect on Trini football and undermined the fan base

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:43 AM »
But there is demand - how else would minor leagues keep messing with professional footballers and the Eddie Hart league and community teams (Guaya, Sando) get such high attendance? The Jack Warner years definitely had a massive detrimental effect on Trini football and undermined the fan base
     I will not agree with u there at all,during the JW years and prior Football always had tremendous crowds,Minor league,club,College,and international,any where in T&T Football was played had crowds,what happen u feel is since 06 JW running Football.

What Contro is saying makes sense to me,from my experiences in T&T Football football killed itself because there is no improvement,players are not as committed as they used too,the serious have to leave home else they too will get dormant,the young stars we have at home will get bored just now,same Trophies they playing for,same players they playing against,same grounds they playing on year in year out.

We does talk about the times but we are still stuck in the past,we still blaming the TTFA and the past Admin,Tim Kee and them trying to make a difference and people pressureing them,the hole we have dug ourselves in is difficult to come out off.The only thing that will help our Football today is if we can find a way to keep our best players at home else there is nothing to market.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »
What happened after 06 to kill the leagues? I've heard that basically it was down hill from the 90s in terms of local leagues, but if attendances were still high in the 2000's what the hell happened?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
     I will not agree with u there at all,during the JW years and prior Football always had tremendous crowds,Minor league,club,College,and international,any where in T&T Football was played had crowds,what happen u feel is since 06 JW running Football.

What Contro is saying makes sense to me,from my experiences in T&T Football football killed itself because there is no improvement,players are not as committed as they used too,the serious have to leave home else they too will get dormant,the young stars we have at home will get bored just now,same Trophies they playing for,same players they playing against,same grounds they playing on year in year out.

We does talk about the times but we are still stuck in the past,we still blaming the TTFA and the past Admin,Tim Kee and them trying to make a difference and people pressureing them,the hole we have dug ourselves in is difficult to come out off.The only thing that will help our Football today is if we can find a way to keep our best players at home else there is nothing to market.

Coops, the exodus of players is a very common phenomenon in sport and yet leagues around the world will survive.
While most professional leagues have more than 9 clubs, the club ratio per capita or even per sq mile is probably better here than, say, Iceland, Cyprus, Finland etc.

The SPL clubs play each other 4 times per season and players don't seem to get bored.

The most successful and oldest leagues have been playing for the same trophies for over 100 years. That's kinda the point...the prestige.

The fact is, most Trinis are just not that interested in local professional football. I cannot understand why, but that's how it is.

It's not the product because
a) people watch minor league/school football which is consistently below Pro/ Super league level
b) people watch professional football that is the same or lower standard all over the world in their millions

It's not the expense because it's ridiculously cheap
It's not the weather (people travel miles and miles in rain, fog, snow to attend games elsewhere)

Yes, the marketing could be better, but it really isn't that difficult to find out about a game. Growing up, the only way I knew if the Gillingham game was going to be played that day was by listening to the midday news.

The media should do more, but to be fair to them, it's not their job to create a fan base.

So, I have to agree that the only factor I can point at is the fans. But, how do we change that?

1]; } ?>