April 27, 2024, 05:56:08 PM

Poll

Should T&T legalized marijuana?

Yes
16 (80%)
No
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Should T&T legalized marijuana?  (Read 12564 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should T&T legalized marijuana?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Pilots aren't allowed to fly under the influence of any drug, so it's not a question really

Common sense really isn't common.  Just answer the man's question.  Olympians aren't allowed to use PEDs either, yet they getting ketch with it in they blood year after year.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
Pilots aren't allowed to fly under the influence of any drug, so it's not a question really

Common sense really isn't common.  Just answer the man's question.  Olympians aren't allowed to use PEDs either, yet they getting ketch with it in they blood year after year.

I'm not sure why ask the question? No I wouldn't get on a flight with a pilot was high, nor would I get on if they were drunk or under the influence of any drug - I'm not sure what the question proves?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »

I'm not sure why ask the question? No I wouldn't get on a flight with a pilot was high, nor would I get on if they were drunk or under the influence of any drug - I'm not sure what the question proves?

If people think that mj should be legal, then why can't a pilot smoke and fly? A substantial among of people swear that it eh harmful.
Do you think after smoking mj, one may have impaired judgement?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »

If people think that mj should be legal, then why can't a pilot smoke and fly? A substantial among of people swear that it eh harmful.
Do you think after smoking mj, one may have impaired judgement?

A pilot consuming alcohol or prescription drugs is subject to being impaired. Both are legal. That's probably not the best way to structure your argument.

Bringing things back to ground level ... same applies to conducting a motor car or boat etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:46:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »

He didn't say the pilot in his hypothetical was 'high' he said he was "allowed to take ah smoke."  Your answer imperfectly answers the conundrum surrounding marijuana use.  Most of us would be okay with flying with a pilot who took a drink an hour before the flight.  Many would not feel the same if instead of a drink the pilot smoked a joint.  Why? Because THC affects individuals in ways different from alcohol, and is less predictable from individual to individual, and stays in the bloodstream a great deal longer... up to 30 days in many cases. This means that the individual is "under the influence" longer, having used marijuana. 

This discrepancy is also reflected in the way the two substances are treated where it comes to DUI laws (at least in the US and the UK) where one is allowed to drink and drive as long as the blood alcohol content (BAC) does not cross the legal threshold of .08.  Even so, there are tiered levels of impairment (above .08 but less than .10.  Greater than .10 but less than .16. Greater than .16), with heightened penalties accordingly.  Compared to the way marijuana is treated, where it is per se illegal to have it in your system and operate a motor vehicle.  This bias in treatment came about after studies showed that THC impairment was less predictable than alcohol impairment and that even at low levels, psychomotor skills were severely impacted.  This, more than anything, invalidates the comparison between marijuana and alcohol.

If I wanted I could even get into my own personal experience in working with addicts and the fact that marijuana acted as a gateway drug in the vast majority of case, leading to addiction to another substance, originally introduced to the addict by "lacing" the weed with the substance.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 05:20:13 AM »

He didn't say the pilot in his hypothetical was 'high' he said he was "allowed to take ah smoke."  Your answer imperfectly answers the conundrum surrounding marijuana use.  Most of us would be okay with flying with a pilot who took a drink an hour before the flight.  Many would not feel the same if instead of a drink the pilot smoked a joint.  Why? Because THC affects individuals in ways different from alcohol, and is less predictable from individual to individual, and stays in the bloodstream a great deal longer... up to 30 days in many cases. This means that the individual is "under the influence" longer, having used marijuana. 

This discrepancy is also reflected in the way the two substances are treated where it comes to DUI laws (at least in the US and the UK) where one is allowed to drink and drive as long as the blood alcohol content (BAC) does not cross the legal threshold of .08.  Even so, there are tiered levels of impairment (above .08 but less than .10.  Greater than .10 but less than .16. Greater than .16), with heightened penalties accordingly.  Compared to the way marijuana is treated, where it is per se illegal to have it in your system and operate a motor vehicle.  This bias in treatment came about after studies showed that THC impairment was less predictable than alcohol impairment and that even at low levels, psychomotor skills were severely impacted.  This, more than anything, invalidates the comparison between marijuana and alcohol.

If I wanted I could even get into my own personal experience in working with addicts and the fact that marijuana acted as a gateway drug in the vast majority of case, leading to addiction to another substance, originally introduced to the addict by "lacing" the weed with the substance.

No I wouldn't ever get on a plane knowing that a pilot had taken even a single shot before flying - any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement and ability to pilot an airplane. Likewise, the definition of a drug is a substance that alters your body or mind, and any drug that has the potential to negatively impact your ability to pilot should absolutely be banned - you're playing with the lives of hundreds of people on board an aircraft whose most dangerous periods are take-off and landing - the parts that require the most concentration.

Drivers endanger typically single-figure individuals, rarely double figures. Pilots always endanger hundreds on a passenger plane, and double figures on the ground in a cargo plane. I genuinely can't believe anyone would be like "sure lets get on this plane with a pilot who has done a shot" - i mean what type of person thinks "yup definitely need a shot to fly this thing" - clearly their judgement is impaired sober let alone with a shot!

I find no conflict between the two - my position is consistent, hence why I couldn't understand the question. Are there people who'd be ok with their pilot taking a shot before flying?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
No I wouldn't ever get on a plane knowing that a pilot had taken even a single shot before flying - any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement and ability to pilot an airplane. Likewise, the definition of a drug is a substance that alters your body or mind, and any drug that has the potential to negatively impact your ability to pilot should absolutely be banned - you're playing with the lives of hundreds of people on board an aircraft whose most dangerous periods are take-off and landing - the parts that require the most concentration.

Drivers endanger typically single-figure individuals, rarely double figures. Pilots always endanger hundreds on a passenger plane, and double figures on the ground in a cargo plane. I genuinely can't believe anyone would be like "sure lets get on this plane with a pilot who has done a shot" - i mean what type of person thinks "yup definitely need a shot to fly this thing" - clearly their judgement is impaired sober let alone with a shot!

I find no conflict between the two - my position is consistent, hence why I couldn't understand the question. Are there people who'd be ok with their pilot taking a shot before flying?

This is simply not true... and I specifically said an hour before to allow for the acohol to dissipate from the body.  Your position is "consistent" because it's detached from reality.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

This is simply not true... and I specifically said an hour before to allow for the acohol to dissipate from the body.  Your position is "consistent" because it's detached from reality.

In my experience... If I had to choose, I rather drive with a man who now smoke, than a man who drink.

Drunk drivers more prone to be reckless imo
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
In my experience... If I had to choose, I rather drive with a man who now smoke, than a man who drink.

That might be true, but in my hypothetical the pilot isn't 'drunk'... he had 1 drink an hour ago.  Would you fly with a pilot who smoke a joint an hour ago?

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

That might be true, but in my hypothetical the pilot isn't 'drunk'... he had 1 drink an hour ago.  Would you fly with a pilot who smoke a joint an hour ago?

yeah why not? Denzil Washington fly ah plane upside down under the influence of all kinda substances  ;D

At the end of the day, you ent supposed to come to work drunk or under the influence of any drug and that will remain the same.

Now if smoking a joint one hour before renders you unable to perform your duties, then no. But this will have to be determined in the same way it was determined that 0.08 blood alcohol was the limit. Wherever the limit may be set, fair or not, the populace will have to abide by it.

ETA and to answer your question... a whole joint by heself? nah not me nah. Same ting for 2 shot of puncheon. not me... too close to takeoff, one of the most dangerous parts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:43:42 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »
yeah why not? Denzil Washington fly ah plane upside down under the influence of all kinda substances  ;D

At the end of the day, you ent supposed to come to work drunk or under the influence of any drug and that will remain the same.

Now if smoking a joint one hour before renders you unable to perform your duties, then no. But this will have to be determined in the same way it was determined that 0.08 blood alcohol was the limit. Wherever the limit may be set, fair or not, the populace will have to abide by it.

ETA and to answer your question... a whole joint by heself? nah not me nah. Same ting for 2 shot of puncheon. not me... too close to takeoff, one of the most dangerous parts.

I good with one drink... two drinks/shots is another story.  The determination has already been made with regards to weed and operating a motor vehicle, no amount is safe, according to the law.  But the hypothetical issue is whether the law should be repealed and what happens then.  Proponents of legalization are saying it wouldn't matter, weed just like alcohol.  Hence the hypo about the pilot.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

Where did you learn that it dissipates after an hour? Not doubting yet, but not heard that. Either way, it doesn't require such a comment - please be more polite and have some manners.

Again my point still stands - if you're drinking before flying an aeroplane then I doubt your judgement, sober or not. It's about how you conduct yourself when you have the lives of several hundred people in your hands

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
Where did you learn that it dissipates after an hour? Not doubting yet, but not heard that. Either way, it doesn't require such a comment - please be more polite and have some manners.

Again my point still stands - if you're drinking before flying an aeroplane then I doubt your judgement, sober or not. It's about how you conduct yourself when you have the lives of several hundred people in your hands

Alcohol steadily dissipates from the system, beginning the minute after it's consumed.  The rate of dissipation depends on the individual, and more specifically on their metabolic rate.  For most people having consumed one glass of alcohol, the rate of dissipation over an hour means that the individual would still have alcohol in their system, but not be under the influence of alcohol.  If you still having doubts then Google is your friend.

As for the rest of this shit about being more polite and having manners... look fella, make ah f**king turn yes.  If you don't like my tone then just feel free to bypass my comments.  I was being polite when I said "your position is detached from reality"... if I wasn't being polite ah woulda tell yuh yuh talking shit, plain and simple.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

Alcohol steadily dissipates from the system, beginning the minute after it's consumed.  The rate of dissipation depends on the individual, and more specifically on their metabolic rate.  For most people having consumed one glass of alcohol, the rate of dissipation over an hour means that the individual would still have alcohol in their system, but not be under the influence of alcohol.  If you still having doubts then Google is your friend.

As for the rest of this shit about being more polite and having manners... look fella, make ah f**king turn yes.  If you don't like my tone then just feel free to bypass my comments.  I was being polite when I said "your position is detached from reality"... if I wasn't being polite ah woulda tell yuh yuh talking shit, plain and simple.

Look it's cool to have a conversation with you, but if you ain't got no manners then it can't go anywhere - if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, you don't have to accuse me of being detached from reality. If you seriously can't understand that it's common manners not to insult a guy in a conversation then you have the problem, not me.

Anyway. It takes an hour to get rid of a unit - shots in Trini (I know to my detriment) and America are 50 ml, which is 2 units - so a shot would take 2 hours give or take by that metric. Either way, my point (ignored in the last post) still stands - why is a pilot doing a shot before their flight? Be completely 100% sober and rested if you're going to be responsible for the lives of hundreds of people. Anything else and they're not weighing the risks well enough.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
Look it's cool to have a conversation with you, but if you ain't got no manners then it can't go anywhere - if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, you don't have to accuse me of being detached from reality. If you seriously can't understand that it's common manners not to insult a guy in a conversation then you have the problem, not me.

Anyway. It takes an hour to get rid of a unit - shots in Trini (I know to my detriment) and America are 50 ml, which is 2 units - so a shot would take 2 hours give or take by that metric. Either way, my point (ignored in the last post) still stands - why is a pilot doing a shot before their flight? Be completely 100% sober and rested if you're going to be responsible for the lives of hundreds of people. Anything else and they're not weighing the risks well enough.

"...any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement and ability to pilot an airplane."

That statement is founded on opinion, not fact.  There is no factual basis for it, take offense if you want but it doesn't square with reality.

The reality is that one can safely operate an airplane with alcohol in one's system.  Whether is wise or appropriate (or incompliance with company policy) to do so is another matter, but from a physiological standpoint it is entirely safe, whether it is trace amounts, small amounts or whatever- provided that the person's perception and psychomotor skills are not impaired.

As for the rate of dissipation, it depends on the individual, particularly the gender, height/weight of the individual and their body mass index and metabolic rate.  You cannot make blanket comments about it takes 1 hour/unit.  That simply isn't supported by the science.

Blood Alcohol Concentration Calculator

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »

"...any amount of alcohol impairs your judgement and ability to pilot an airplane."

That statement is founded on opinion, not fact.  There is no factual basis for it, take offense if you want but it doesn't square with reality.

The reality is that one can safely operate an airplane with alcohol in one's system.  Whether is wise or appropriate (or incompliance with company policy) to do so is another matter, but from a physiological standpoint it is entirely safe, whether it is trace amounts, small amounts or whatever- provided that the person's perception and psychomotor skills are not impaired.

As for the rate of dissipation, it depends on the individual, particularly the gender, height/weight of the individual and their body mass index and metabolic rate.  You cannot make blanket comments about it takes 1 hour/unit.  That simply isn't supported by the science.

Blood Alcohol Concentration Calculator

I think we got crossed wires - my argument isn't dependent on the physiological condition of the pilot, but rather what type of person would drink before flying. I've conceded that they might not be under the influence with a unit (but pointed out that a 'shot' was 2 units), although it still 'feels' wrong (without evidence to support that) that a pilot should imbibe any type of drug that has the potential to impair their judgement regardless of quantity

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
I think we got crossed wires - my argument isn't dependent on the physiological condition of the pilot, but rather what type of person would drink before flying. I've conceded that they might not be under the influence with a unit (but pointed out that a 'shot' was 2 units), although it still 'feels' wrong (without evidence to support that) that a pilot should imbibe any type of drug that has the potential to impair their judgement regardless of quantity

My wires are fine... which is why I stated that your comment was a matter of opinion (aka "it 'feels' wrong"), how we perceive things and how they are are two separate issues, hence my use of "reality" and my puzzlement as to why you would take offense to it.

At any rate, I think you're getting too far down into the weeds... it was a hypothetical situation that Deeks offered.  For proponents of legalization, especially those who say that weed is no different from alcohol, let them ponder the situation.  You gave your answer, I gave mine.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »

Tirerais, from a Bakesian worldview, this exchange is the epitome of politeness. Be happy that he was not polite.    ;)
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
Tirerais, from a Bakesian worldview, this exchange is the epitome of politeness. Be happy that he was not polite.    ;)

Just Cool said something about you some months back and I'm starting to realize it's true... actually is a while now I realize it's true.  For a grown ass man, with damn near adult, if not adult children, you love to engage in little gyul behavior.  You forever throwing basket like ah little instigating-ass bitch.  Is like you take over wherer West Coast leave off.  Doh bother responding.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 10:38:07 AM »
If the criminal justice system was running close to properly I would say maybe.........but the legislative, judicial and law enforcement arms can't even handle a child tiefing a sweetie to expect them to handle legalizing weed........and society on every level is to screwed up also........wrong priorities overall.........look no further than road fatalities

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
If the criminal justice system was running close to properly I would say maybe.........but the legislative, judicial and law enforcement arms can't even handle a child tiefing a sweetie to expect them to handle legalizing weed........and society on every level is to screwed up also........wrong priorities overall.........look no further than road fatalities

How would you respond to this? The last stat (I saw) indicated that 1985 was the peak year for road fatalities. We had a different society then.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 12:05:20 PM »

Laws that
How would you respond to this? The last stat (I saw) indicated that 1985 was the peak year for road fatalities. We had a different society then.
when I mentioned road fatalities it was more to highlight my belief on how alcohol plays a major role in the majority of accidents..........now we started the breathalyzer program some years back which is kind of a joke and very inconsistent AND there are other laws that needs to be enforced with it.......drinking on the streets and last call by a specific time at drinking holes........then look at the enforcement of vehicle and road laws besides a man driving with a dark tint or loud music........dem men does feel they on d fast on furious with they reckless driving........they don't have police enforcement to help deter people from being impaired and driving reckless.........and last on my list is the substandard vehicles they sell people in T&T.........I would put money that those cars we see fold up like foil paper would not pass crash safety standards in the real world...........hope my rant making sense..........alcohol isn't being controlled properly and marijuana will also be abused if not regulated properly.......

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

Laws that
when I mentioned road fatalities it was more to highlight my belief on how alcohol plays a major role in the majority of accidents..........now we started the breathalyzer program some years back which is kind of a joke and very inconsistent AND there are other laws that needs to be enforced with it.......drinking on the streets and last call by a specific time at drinking holes........then look at the enforcement of vehicle and road laws besides a man driving with a dark tint or loud music........dem men does feel they on d fast on furious with they reckless driving........they don't have police enforcement to help deter people from being impaired and driving reckless.........and last on my list is the substandard vehicles they sell people in T&T.........I would put money that those cars we see fold up like foil paper would not pass crash safety standards in the real world...........hope my rant making sense..........alcohol isn't being controlled properly and marijuana will also be abused if not regulated properly.......

If marijuana is legalized the biggest increase you will see is people smoking it in the open. As it stand marijuana is already widely used. Can't see how legalization will send use through the roof.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
how practical is it to draw the line at just weed? what happens for weed laced with other drugs? legalization will open door for other drugs. it's like saying "drink yuh coconut water but not a dropa scotch". won't work.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »
how practical is it to draw the line at just weed? what happens for weed laced with other drugs? legalization will open door for other drugs. it's like saying "drink yuh coconut water but not a dropa scotch". won't work.

I know right, people will want lsd, cocaine, and then the welfare crew will want crack, and the makers will want prescriptions removed, wait, they own it so laws don't apply to them.

Yuh right, just as how they allowed LGBT crew to be legally married and now yuh cyah walk down the road with out ah gay hitting on yuh and watching yuh bamsee.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 12:29:24 AM »
now yuh cyah walk down the road with out ah gay hitting on yuh and watching yuh bamsee.

You can't fault gay men for watching yuh bamsee when you walking down the road with your pants under your bamsee

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »
The slippery slope argument is total trash - we've mostly stopped at alcohol for a couple thousand years so I guess it doesn't apply for alcohol? Ironically, alcohol is considered more harmful by the academic community than weed - The Lancet did that famous comparison a couple years back. No free access to the paper, but wiki has a diagram of the findings; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_(mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence).svg

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »

Laws that

If marijuana is legalized the biggest increase you will see is people smoking it in the open. As it stand marijuana is already widely used. Can't see how legalization will send use through the roof.
not use but the neverCcomeC abuse...........it's inevitable just like alcohol and the great job being done to at least try to keep it under control in T&T.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »

Laws that

not use but the neverCcomeC abuse...........it's inevitable just like alcohol and the great job being done to at least try to keep it under control in T&T.

I don't think so as weed is not taboo in T&T. Weed is a "normal scene" for most people in T&T and as such a weed flex will be no scene really.

1]; } ?>