March 28, 2024, 02:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T vs Argentina Game (4-Jun-2014)  (Read 75978 times)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the T&T vs Argentina Game (4-Jun-2014)
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
Well if playing Argentina cant light a fire in KJ bum bum then I loss for words...

So he hasn't been performing well for us?  You think this changes or affects his club career?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
Let Messi & he padnas come, this ain't no movie

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
For those looking for a internet link, dishworld.com carries Bein.  It's $10/month for the sports package and you can call and cancel anytime.  I figure that cheaper than the wife and I trying to find a sports bar showing the game.  When I downloaded the app there was a link for a FREE 48 hr trial but ah done pay.  tried out my subscription and it works and here are apps for Roku, some smart tv's, Apple devices etc so feel free to give the trial ah try.  Only drawback is it's available in the US only. 

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
Argentina and football.

I have had the fortunate privilige to recently spend extended periods of time in Argentina. Naturally football comes up as the global language.

The first thing you hadda appreciate is how much Argentina loves footbal. Billboards of players litter the highways, these fellas down there are Gods. On any given day at 12noon, you see numerous players obviously attached to various clubs out in the city and hot sun running to build fitness. And sometimes I wonder why we always look so unfit when we play these top level countries. Its no wonder De Maria could take over a game in the closing stages like he did vs Atleti.

The AFA have a real bess training academy/facility right outside the airport. Looks very much like what you see on TV for the big European clubs and their training grounds.

I am pretty certain just as we will be in some culture shock, plenty of Buenos Aires will be too for the simple fact that in all my time there I see only 2 black people - both times in the airport. But thats a whole other argument I saw even discussed here on this forum Re race and Argentina. I personally never experience any negative vibes, i think its just that we will be verrrry different to what they used to down there.

They have some real bess things around the place, I know mr Lara will enjoy heself.

Buenos Aires, or the urban sprawl that they refer to as it, is easily the largest city I have ever seen in my life from the air. I think the wider city itself has like 15 million flikkin people.

You think is only Trinidad have stories of yutes in the ghetto kicking ball on the road or on a real lame field - i see some football fields over there I would think twice to park my car on that. NO wonder them men have impeccable control on good grass fields.

One of the things I really struggle with was the food. Very italian in nature I found, too much cheese and not enough taste.

With regard to actual football, Argentinians are as passionate about their team in tournaments just as you would expect. Lots of debate around players, coaches, etc.

From my experience they all obviously rate Messi as the best in the world. Strangely, not many rate him as highly as Maradonna.

They regard Brazil as the eternal rivals. Uruguay has nuff respect but they look on them as small brothers.

The 0-5 home loss to Colombia in the 90's is still a very sore point to any Argentinian you talk to. Its like our Nov 19th.

Their knowledge of CONCACAF is interesting. THey dont really rate anything in our region. Mexico, who I thin has had a couple good results against them in years gone by, I think they consider as a decent team, but nothing much more than a quarterfinals team. Make no mistake - they always fancy their chances of getting to WC finals. they played the US last year I think in the US and reminded me of the early part of the Trini - England WC game, where not a man from Trin was getting to even touch the ball. The US players were very much in awe of them in the first alf and got carved open very badly over and over again. But as with the US, they came out fighting second half and made a real game of it.

So you can imagine what Argentina think of Trinidad and Tobago. Most people dont know where we are, when you explain close to venezuela, they understand.

The best way I can put it... is that from their perspective, playing a game against T&T is equivalent of Trinidad playing Curacao or Montseratt before we set off to Germany 2006.
This isnt a disgrace to these caribbean countries, nor to us, its just the world pecking order. Like West Indies playing Holland in cricket.

We were obviousy chosen as the prototype for their Nigerian game. I hope we put up a real fight.
All the fight in the world dont really help you when you chasing ghosts in the River Plate, by men who are obviously in a different technical league than you. You boil down real fast. But with the right tactical approach and the game of their lives, in football you never know. But sometimes in games like these you grow up, where the game could be lost on the flight over Buenos Aires and the bus drive through the city to play a team with such a stature.

Games like these prepae you for Central America WCQ, very similar atmosphere. I have never been to a game in Buenos Aires, but the whole setup look very Mexico-city like. The higher pedigree of the opponent may be cancelled out by the fact that Buenos Aires is at sea-level.

Some of the nicest people around, but when is football, these people go crazy to the point of riot sometimes. Thank God we wont have to worry about that tomorrow.

A good display and result tomorrow will do wonders for the next few years when we play in tough places in Central America.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
Real nice post Trini. Thanks for the perspective.

I really like the angle that games like this will prepare you for going into Central America. Never thought of it that way.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Warriors’ physio and goalkeeper coach get to Argentina two days late
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Trinidad and Tobago national football team therapist Dave Isaac and goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice finally landed in Buenos Aires this morning; almost two days after the “Soca Warriors” arrived in Argentina.

Trinidad and Tobago was forced to hold two training sessions without the services of either employee as the Warriors prepare to meet Argentina in friendly battle on Wednesday night. The game will be beamed live from the Estadio Monumental at 6.30 pm (TT time) on GISL Channel Four.

Somehow, the Warriors, who left Trinidad with three team managers, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee, the Siparia Rhythm Section and celebrity guests like former West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara and Trinidad and Tobago President Anthony Carmona on board, could not find room on the chartered Caribbean Airlines flight for their goalkeeper coach and physiotherapist.

TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips travelled to Argentina a day before everyone else and has been in Buenos Aires since Saturday.

Up until the time of publication, the TTFA had not provided an explanation for the mix-up, which head coach Stephen Hart described as “a bit of a setback.” Wired868 understands that Maurice, a former “Strike Squad” star, and Isaac only found out that they would not be travelling to Argentina this weekend as the team prepared for its Sunday morning exit.

The change was allegedly engineered by Ministry of Tourism officials who opted to leave two members of the Trinidad and Tobago technical staff behind in Piarco; rather than force two members of its own entourage, which included the Siparia Rhythm Section, to catch a later flight.

Hart, via a press release, said he was relieved to finally have his entire staff together for the toughest international of his tenure so far.

“Obviously it’s a lot better having everyone here now,” Hart told the TTFA Media. “There was a bit of a setback with two of the staff members not being able to get on the flight. But that’s behind us now and we’re placing all our energies towards the game now.”

Hart admitted that there were some nerves from the younger players but said his team had settled in well and hoped to give the host team as tough a game as possible. Thus far, the temperature has wavered between 5 and 11 degrees Celsius although it is expected to climb to a moderately chilly 16 degrees Celsius by kick off.

“We would have had two sessions here in Argentina going into the game and the players all appear to be settled in and ready,” said Hart. “There will always be some nerves especially among the younger ones and then it’s no secret that we are coming up against one of the top sides in the world in their own backyard.

“But these boys live for games like these… We do not expect anything but a strong encounter and we’ll give it our best to stay in the match for as long as possible.”
Argentina selected its final 23-man squad this morning with the major surprise being the exclusion of former Valencia midfielder Ever Banega. Banega, like Juventus forward Carlos Tevez and PSG playmaker Javier Pastore, will all have to watch the 2014 World Cup from home.

However, Argentina is anchored by arguably the greatest player of his generation, Barcelona star Lionel Messi, and is not short of attacking options with Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Aguero and Angel Di Maria all included along with midfield hardman Javier Mascherano and right back Pablo Zabaleta. Zabaleta and Mascherano both played in the Trinidad and Tobago 2001 FIFA World Youth Cup.

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago: Jan-Michael Williams, Marvin Phillip; Justin Hoyte, Curtis Gonzales, Sheldon Bateau, Gavin Hoyte, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Carlyle Mitchell, Yohance Marshall; Khaleem Hyland, Ataullah Guerra, Andre Boucaud, Kevan George, Lester Peltier, Joevin Jones, Densill Theobald, Kevin Molino; Marcus Joseph, Rundell Winchester, Willis Plaza, Trevin Caesar, Kenwyne Jones.

Head coach: Stephen Hart

Argentina: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andujar, Agustin Orion; Pablo Zabaleta, Federico Fernandez, Ezequiel Garay, Marcos Rojo, Hugo Campagnaro, Martin Demichelis, Jose Basanta; Javier Mascherano, Fernando Gago, Lucas Biglia, Ricardo Alvarez, Augusto Fernandez, Angel Di Maria, Maxi Rodriguez, Enzo Perez; Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain, Sergio Agüero, Rodrigo Palacio, Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Head coach: Alejandro Sabella

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:05:42 AM by Flex »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »

Trinidad and Tobago national football team physiotherapist Dave Isaac and goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice finally landed in Buenos Aires this morning; almost two days after the “Soca Warriors” arrived in Argentina.
Trinidad and Tobago was forced to hold two training sessions without the services of either employee as the Warriors prepare to meet Argentina in friendly battle on Wednesday night. The game will be beamed live from the Estadio Monumental at 6.30 pm (TT time) on GISL Channel Four.
Somehow, the Warriors, who left Trinidad with three team managers, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee, the Siparia Rhythm Section and celebrity guests like former West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara and Trinidad and Tobago President Anthony Carmona on board, could not find room on the chartered Caribbean Airlines flight for their goalkeeper coach and physiotherapist. TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips travelled to Argentina a day before everyone else and has been in Buenos Aires since Saturday.
Up until the time of publication, the TTFA had not provided an explanation for the mix-up, which head coach Stephen Hart described as “a bit of a setback.”
Wired868 understands that Maurice, a former “Strike Squad” star, and Isaac only found out that they would not be travelling to Argentina this weekend as the team prepared for its Sunday morning exit. The change was allegedly engineered by Ministry of Tourism officials who opted to leave two members of the Trinidad and Tobago technical staff behind in Piarco; rather than force two members of its own entourage, which included the Siparia Rhythm Section, to catch a later flight.
Hart, via a press release, said he was relieved to finally have his entire staff together for the toughest international of his tenure so far.
Read more: http://wired868.com/2014/06/03/warriors-physio-and-goalkeeper-coach-get-to-argentina-two-days-late/

yuh kidding right... they leave behind essential staff and give 2 riddim section fellahs the bligh bc they was with the ministry... them men couldn't have the manners and wasn't big enough to forgo their seats and take a later flight?  >:( i won't even start with the ministry.. it's an important match, not a lime, them locals feel is ah joke thing...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:15:44 PM by Controversial »

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »
It would not be Tand T without a hiccup. .. :devil:
Drama included. .... :cursing:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
WATCH a Soca Warriors training session in Argentina.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E4L2ApWy7aU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E4L2ApWy7aU</a>

Skipper Kenwyne Jones talks ahead of the Argentina game.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YFDt5CGJ9pE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YFDt5CGJ9pE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
That is Gavin Hoyte, Molino f00cking up on de side so..

:rotfl:

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
Argentina paves the way to the World Cup with a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago
http://www.conmebol.com/en/content/argentina-paves-way-world-cup-friendly-against-trinidad-and-tobago

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors Online Media in Argentina
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »
Join Soca Warriors Online media representatives Andre Samuel and Carlon "Diamondtrim" Garcia as they bring you all the action in Argentina. Enjoy the photos, videos, match reports and all other SWO media contributions made by our dynamic duo. Go Soca Warriors!!!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:59:39 PM by Tallman »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
Draw 1-1
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Fyzo10

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
Damn just realize no channel on TV excepting BEIN showing this game. Sadly I don't have BEIN.

You guys going to share free streams here?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
How may times have TT played Arg? I think is 3 times. All at PanAm. Win 1 and loss 2. correct me !

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors Online Media in Argentina
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mYWEZiSPKE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mYWEZiSPKE0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hkObU9XJQR4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hkObU9XJQR4</a>

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
Nice one fellas, looking forward to this one tomorrow...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2014, 08:56:38 PM »
Million Dollar legs scoring tmr
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
Niceness!  Looking forward to the reports Andre and Diamondtrim.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
mr 3000 in the lions den.. do your thing boss :beermug:

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Re: SW.net Lime for T&T vs. Argentina Match in Toronto
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
so where is de lime Saugga Btown or st.clair ?

walkers brew carrying the match in btown off of lisa st by bramalea city center, but i believe they showing it on fox sports... will have to double check... don't know about mississauga

latin fiesta sports bar is off of st clair bro.. check above..

Thx I just saw you said all 3 so I didn't know if you was planning something at 1 location or just saying everywhere they will be showing it.
Every to the st.clair one before not bad
I'll just stay at walkers brew at see de vibez

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: SW.net Lime for T&T vs. Argentina Match in Toronto
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
so where is de lime Saugga Btown or st.clair ?

walkers brew carrying the match in btown off of lisa st by bramalea city center, but i believe they showing it on fox sports... will have to double check... don't know about mississauga

latin fiesta sports bar is off of st clair bro.. check above..

Thx I just saw you said all 3 so I didn't know if you was planning something at 1 location or just saying everywhere they will be showing it.
Every to the st.clair one before not bad
I'll just stay at walkers brew at see de vibez

give them a call to double check bro... i will link them tomorrow to double check.. :beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:16 AM »
‘Soca Warriors’ set for showdown with Argentina
T&T Newsday Reports.

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s Soca Warriors will be prepared to give everything in an attempt to defy the odds and come away with an upset or a draw in today’s international friendly clash with world powerhouse Argentina at the Estadio Monumental Stadium in Buenos Aires from (6:30 pm TT time).

Led by skipper Kenwyne Jones, TT are on a five-game unbeaten run but are fully aware that they face a mountainous task against the two-time World Champions in their own backyard.

Since arriving there on Sunday night, coach Stephen Hart has since conducted two training sessions at the San Lorenzo training pitch as neither the TT nor the home team were allowed to practice at the match venue prior to the match.

Despite the chilly conditions that range between 5-10 degrees, Hart feels that his troops will not be challenged by it.

The travelling contingent also brought some warmth to the players with popular cultural group-the Siparia Rhythm Section Tassa Group and Steelpan which made the players feel at home in La Plata.

Cricket legend Brian Lara accompanied the touring party of supporters on a city tour on Monday as he partook in Tango dancing with some of the locals. There was understandably a less holiday-like buzz for Jones and his men as they remained focused on the task at hand.

Two staff members who did not get on the charter, goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice and football therapist Dave Isaac arrived on an American Airlines flight early yesterday and Hart said he was happy that they had arrived.

“Obviously it’s a lot better having everyone here now. There was a bit of a setback with two of the staff members not being able to get on the flight. But that’s behind us now and we’re placing all our energies towards the game now,” Hart told TTFA Media.

“We would have had two sessions here in Argentina going into the game and the players all appear to be settled in and ready. There will always be some nerves especially among the younger ones and then it’s no secret that we are coming up against one of the top sides in the world in their own backyard,” Hart said.

“But these boys live for games like these and whether we can hold it together will be certain before our eyes once the match gets going.

“We do not expect anything but a strong encounter and we’ll give it our best to stay in the match for as long as possible.”

Hart will depend on the services of defenders Carlyle Mitchell, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Sheldon Bateau, Justin and Gavin Hoyte with the likes of Khaleem Hyland, Andre Boucaud, Lester Peltier, Kevin Molino, Ataullah Guerra and Jones shouldering the attacking responsibilities. The youngsters such as Trevin Caesar, Willis Plaza, Rundell Winchester and Marcus Joseph will also hope to create some impact.

President of the Republic, His Excellency Anthony Carmona will attend the match along with TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee. They will be among 100 TT fans that will cheer on the TT team in the 50, 000 seated facility.

The match is expected to be aired live in 92 countries including GISL TV 4 in TT.

Argentina head coach Alejandro Sabella named his final World Cup squad this week with Nicolás Otamendi, Éver Banega and José Sosa being the three players to miss out. Martín Demichelis joined his fellow Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta and striker Sergio Agüero in the squad as Atletico Mineiro’s Otamendi was the defender to make way.

Boca Juniors’ Fernando Gago was selected despite fitness concerns as Banega, of Newell’s Old Boys, and Atlético Madrid’s Sosa were left out of a midfield selection which also features Javier Mascherano, Ángel di María, Lucas Biglia, Maxi Rodríguez, Ricardo Álvarez, Enzo Pérez and Augusto Fernández. Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, Napoli’s Gonzalo Higuaín, Paris Saint Germain’s Ezequiel Lavezzi and Rodrigo Palacio of Internazionale join Agüero in a fearsome strike force.

Showdown with World Cup second favorite.
T&T Express Reports.

Warriors vs Albicelestes

Trinidad and Tobago will give everything as they attempt to defy the odds and come away with something from today’s friendly international against Argentina, known as the Albicelestes (sky blue and whites), at the Estadio Monumental in Buenos Aires from 6:30 p.m. T&T Time.

Led by skipper Kenwyne Jones, T&T are on a five-game unbeaten run but are fully aware that they face a mountainous task against the two-time World Champions in their own backyard.

Since arriving on Sunday night, head coach Stephen Hart has conducted two training sessions at the San Lorenzo training pitch as neither the T&T nor Argentina team were allowed to practice at the match venue prior to the match.

With temperatures ranging between five to ten degrees C during the evening period, the chilly conditions have not posed a challenge for the T&T team. Jones and his men remained focused on the task at hand. Two staff members who did not get on the charter, goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice and football therapist Dave Isaac arrived yesterday, notably good news for Hart.

“Obviously it’s a lot better having everyone here now. There was a bit of a setback with two of the staff members not being able to get on the flight. But that’s behind us now and we’re placing all our energies towards the game now,” Hart told TTFA Media.

“We would have had two sessions here in Argentina going into the game and the players all appear to be settled in and ready. There will always be some nerves especially among the younger ones and then it’s no secret that we are coming up against one of the top sides in the world in their own backyard,” Hart said.

“But these boys live for games like these and whether we can hold it together will be certain before our eyes once the match gets going. We do not expect anything but a strong encounter and we’ll give it our best to stay in the match for as long as possible.”

Hart will depend on the services of defenders Carlyle Mitchell, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Sheldon Bateau, Justin and Gavin Hoyte with the likes of Khaleem Hyland, Andre Boucaud, Lester Peltier, Kevin Molino, Ataullah Guerra and Jones shouldering the attacking responsibilities. The youngsters such as Trevin Caesar, Willis Plaza, Rundell Winchester and Marcus Joseph will also hope to create some impact.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:58:57 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2014, 01:55:10 AM »
The day Argentina fell.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

For the record, Argentina fielded a very young team, with just Racing Club midfielder Rudolphe Vincente and striker Hector Yazalde having reached age 21. At age 18, Boca Juniors striker Carlos Garcia was the youngest of the South Americans.

But there is no dismissing the magnitude of Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-0 victory over Argentina at the 1967 PanAm Games in Winnipeg, Canada. It was a magical tournament for the Caribbean team, fielding a football squad for the first time at the PanAm Games, topping their group, and also winning a bronze medal.

The Argentines were young, but players of potential. A couple of them went on to play in Europe, while at least two later represented the senior Argentine team at international level. Right-back Bargas had 30 national caps and later also played in France for both Metz and Nantes, while striker Yazalde, who died at age 51 in 1997, was once European Golden Shoe winner after scoring 46 goals.

Yazalde also had ten senior national team caps and was a member of Argentina’s 1974 FIFA World Cup team, where he twice scored in a 4-1 win over Haiti. Prominent members of the T&T team included 32-year-old Association Footballer of the Year and the captain Sedley Joseph, 30-year-old Alvin Corneal, and goalie Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips.

Men against boys some might say. But it was no less easy for Trinidad & Tobago, although the Caribbean team had an advantage because FIFA at that time allowed developing CONCACAF teams like Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and T&T to field full national teams, while restricting South Americans Argentina and Colombia to under-23 players. Years later, FIFA changed the rules and restricted all teams to under-23 players.

Corneal played the entire match as T&T cancelled out two first half Alfonzo Tovar (34th & 43rd) goals when Gerry Brown (59th & 88th), Pat Small (79th & 80th) and Kevin Berassa (64th) scored to give them a 5-2 victory over an equally young Colombian team. Injury kept him out the 1-1 draw against Mexico, which had beaten the Caribbean team 4-0 three months before, and he went off annoyed when coach Conrad Brathwaite took him off for the final few minute of the Argentina match.

Kevin Berassa had scored for T&T just about 12 minutes from the end, but Argentina was coming forward in waves. “The guys fought that final 11 minutes to the very end,” Corneal recalled. “I would like to think it was the best bunch of players Trinidad and Tobago had used in a football match up till then.”

Corneal recalls that few believed that a relatively unknown Trinidad and Tobago could beat Argentina at any level, far less advance from a group that also included Mexico and Colombia.

“It seemed a foregone conclusion to everyone that we were not going to come out of the group,” Corneal said frankly. “It was an expectation by the people of Trinidad and Tobago that we were definitely out of depth.”

Tall in goal for Trinidad and Tobago and in his prime at age 26, goalie “Tiger” Phillips remembered being “very busy”, against the young Argentines, who were not taking defeat to an unknown Trinidad and Tobago easily. “Argentina was supposed to win the gold medal,” Phillips declared. “They were the big team.”

Later, T&T were upset 3-1 by Bermuda at the semi-final stage, but beat Canada 4-1 for third spot, while Mexico won gold. Since 1967, Trinidad and Tobago played Argentina three times at Pan Am level, losing 3-2 in 1971. Then Ron La Forrest and company went down 5-1 in 1975, and T&T also lost 6-0 in 1987 when current T&T assistant national coach Hutson Charles and company were in their prime.

Forty-seven years later, the bronze medal is still the only piece of silverware a Trinidad and Tobago men’s national football team has won at the Pam-Am Games. And like them all those years ago, Phillips is backing the current T&T national team to defy expectations and put up a fight against a star-studded Argentina, when the teams meet today in a Pre-World Cup friendly international in Buenos Aires.

“It’s a great opportunity. To have such an opportunity is wonderful. I don’t care what the result,” Phillips declared.“This is our World Cup. It is good for our players and for the coaches, to prepare for a match against a team which is one of the favourites to win the World Cup.”

1967 PAN AM GAMES SQUADS: (Players ages in brackets)

ARGENTINA: - Angel Bargar (20); Eduardo Noberto Cremasco (20), Jorge Dominchi (20), H. Dorado (20), Carlos Garcia (18), Hector Martinez (19), Jose Martinez (20), Jorge Gomez, Hector Martinez (19), Carlos Oriolo, Ramon Ponce, Juan Tavernar (19), Rodolfo Vincente (21), Hector Yazalde (21), Eduardo Zottola, Humberto Zuccarelli.

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO: - Captain- Sedley Joseph (32), Goalkeeper- Lincoln Phillips (26), Alvin Corneal (30), Jean Moutett, Aldwin Ferfuson (32), Tyronne De La Bastide (29), Hugh Mulzac, Selwyn Warren, Arnim David, Teddy Grell (23), Victor Gramaldo (23), Kevin Berassa, Gerry Brown (23), Andy Aleong (24), Jeff Gellineau, Pat Small, Richard Stewart.

Coach: - Conrad Brathwaite.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »
TT/Argentina clash to benefit TT
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (Newsday).

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago Football Association technical director, Anton Corneal believes today’s highly anticipated clash between the “Soca Warriors” and the mighty Argentina should derive significant benefit for both teams.

The national squad, led by coach Stephen Hart, is expected to face their toughest opposition in recent history when they square off against a Lionel Messi-led South American outfit at the Estadio Monumental from 6.30 pm (TT time). With just under ten days to go before the start of football’s biggest competitive stage, the 2014 World Cup Finals in Brazil, Corneal is optimistic that the national contingent can use this golden opportunity to analyse and evaluate themselves against a top-quality team such as Argentina.

“From the Trinidad and Tobago point of view, they can always gain experience from such a game against such a prized team. Playing against so many world class players on one field at one time is good for us to see how we can adapt tactically and technically. It’s a good time for some of their players and ours as well to show up. This is an opportunity for both teams,” explained Corneal yesterday.

And even though the red, white and black would be going up against certain World Cup title contenders, Corneal also mentioned that today’s encounter should also bring some benefit to the Argentinians.

Today’s match-up will also be the host nation’s final clash before they depart to Brazil. According to the former national footballer, Argentina might as well be using this opportunity to fine tune ahead of their hectic campaign which kicks off in Rio de Janeiro next Thursday.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:48:01 AM by Flex »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2014, 02:30:40 AM »
Me first: Soca Warriors lose out as administrators scramble for Argentina trip
By Mr Live Wire (Wired868)

Former United States president Ronald Reagan once said the most terrifying words in the English language are: I am from the Government; and I am here to help.

Maybe Reagan had Trinidad and Tobago Government officials in mind.

The “Soca Warriors” received a friendly invitation for a football match from 2014 World Cup title contender Argentina, ranked seventh in the world by FIFA, and the Ministry of Tourism spotted an inherent opportunity to market the two island republic and graciously stepped in to help sponsor the tour.

But, by the weekend before the high-profile friendly, the Government had clearly forgotten the purpose of the trip. And the CAL chartered flight that left Piarco for Buenos Aires had an eclectic guest list that included Government officials, former West Indies cricket star Brian Lara, president Anthony Carmona and his wife and the Siparia Rhythm Section. But there was no space for goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice and therapist Dave Isaac; and it was another two days before they made it to South America.

Any two persons on the flight could have given up their seats and postponed their trip until Tuesday. But that would have meant considering the needs of the country’s young men first; and such foresight, humility and empathy is always unlikely when the Government is handling operations.

Just thank the Lord that no one was fondled, pushed over and screwed on the trip. Mr Live Wire understands Glenn Ramadharsingh was not on board.

To be fair, the People’s Partnership does not have sole ownership of the “Me First” attitude.
Just over a week ago, Port of Spain mayor Raymond Tim Kee could not spare two hours for a town meeting on the Brian Lara Promenade, which was put on by TV6 for the benefits of his environs and included DOMA president Gregory Aboud and Minister Bhoe Tewarie.

Yet, Tim Kee was happy to clear his week’s schedule to spend five days gallivanting in Argentina with the Warriors. Worse, the football president plans to return to Trinidad.

If the TTFA president, albeit one who doesn’t pay his coaches, does not respect his players and staff enough to sacrifice his seat and prioritise their needs as they go to battle for Trinidad and Tobago; then why would anyone else care?

So, Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams was denied the chance of extra practice with his specialist coach; and God knows he might need it as he prepares to face the Argentine firing squad of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Gonzalo Higuain.

Still, it could have been worse. At least Minister Two Pull was not there to show the goalkeeper how to wrap up the action.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:45:49 PM by Tiresais »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:40 AM »

Trinidad and Tobago national football team physiotherapist Dave Isaac and goalkeeping coach Michael Maurice finally landed in Buenos Aires this morning; almost two days after the “Soca Warriors” arrived in Argentina.
Somehow, the Warriors, who left Trinidad with three team managers, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee, the Siparia Rhythm Section and celebrity guests like former West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara and Trinidad and Tobago President Anthony Carmona on board, could not find room on the chartered Caribbean Airlines flight for their goalkeeper coach and physiotherapist. TTFA general secretary Sheldon Phillips travelled to Argentina a day before everyone else and has been in Buenos Aires since Saturday.
Up until the time of publication, the TTFA had not provided an explanation for the mix-up, which head coach Stephen Hart described as “a bit of a setback.”
Wired868 understands that Maurice, a former “Strike Squad” star, and Isaac only found out that they would not be travelling to Argentina this weekend as the team prepared for its Sunday morning exit. The change was allegedly engineered by Ministry of Tourism officials who opted to leave two members of the Trinidad and Tobago technical staff behind in Piarco; rather than force two members of its own entourage, which included the Siparia Rhythm Section, to catch a later flight.
Read more: http://wired868.com/2014/06/03/warriors-physio-and-goalkeeper-coach-get-to-argentina-two-days-late/

yuh kidding right... they leave behind essential staff and give 2 riddim section fellahs the bligh bc they was with the ministry... them men couldn't have the manners and wasn't big enough to forgo their seats and take a later flight?  >:( i won't even start with the ministry.. it's an important match, not a lime, them locals feel is ah joke thing...

So the staff did not know they were ghoing to Argentina until 2 days before the team left and they were left out of the charter flight.

Well yes.

Just when you think things were getting better in these situations.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2014, 05:45:20 AM »
Warriors I have full faith win lose or draw, 100% we behind you guys! Let's show the world that we're a force to be reckoned with!!!. Contingent--------'TnT we want ah goal,' loud and proud! Best of luck. Rise to the occasion!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2014, 05:53:47 AM »
is that...

in the tan pants, balding, with back to the camera?

if it is, nice to see he's around and supporting the fellas.

1]; } ?>