April 29, 2024, 02:53:36 AM

Author Topic: 2014 MLS Superdraft (16/1 - today!)  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2014 MLS Superdraft (16/1 - today!)
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Hey guys, wondered if anyone else is interested in seeing this? The only representitive from Trini is a Suriname player! Starts 12pm ET today.

The three Caribbean players involved;
Quinton Christina (CRKSV Jong Holland-Curacao),
Andrew Lewis (Jamaica Under-20s),
Stefano Rjissel (W Connection-Trinidad & Tobago)

Main website;
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014

267 Eligible players;
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/16/superdraft-here-are-267-players-who-are-eligible-selection-2014-mls-superdra

Live tracker;
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/tracker

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 MLS Superdraft (16/1 - today!)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Apparently everyone's after Blake (a goalie), and literally at the last minute DC United traded their #1 pick to Philadelphia (#2) for some allocation money and stuff.

Drama! Bacchanal! Trying to make it more interesting than it probably will be!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »
Another last minute trade - New England #4 for FC Dallas#5 for allocation money

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
the Jamaican Lewis up for the mix for the next pick. i saw some highlights of him, he is a nifty lil player.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
Two timeouts - one for Dallas (5th pick) and now 6th pick (Philadelphia union) - looks like the last minute trades have screwed with people's plans

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »
This taking place 5 mins from me... was giving some thought to checking it out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:50:06 AM »
Apparently it's open to the public so worth a thought Bakes. Lewis just got picked - Jamaica is well represented so far...

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
This taking place 5 mins from me... was giving some thought to checking it out.
Its a good look, here is a coaches convention also. Lots of coaches from all over America are there. They have coaching clinics and showcases, good for networking and just gaining lots of insight.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
Apparently it's open to the public so worth a thought Bakes. Lewis just got picked - Jamaica is well represented so far...
Lewis will do well once he settles in, for argument sake its a pity that our country don't have players represented in the draft.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
Yea initially I was sceptical of the Antigua Combine, but now watching the draft I can't help but admit I'm disappointed that T&T aren't represented except by Rijssel.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
Yea initially I was sceptical of the Antigua Combine, but now watching the draft I can't help but admit I'm disappointed that T&T aren't represented except by Rijssel.

Actually Nicholas Walker is eligible,but not expected to be drafted.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/16/superdraft-here-are-267-players-who-are-eligible-selection-2014-mls-superdra

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
Ah didn't know he was trini - well lets hope

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
MLS SuperDraft, Combine fighting against irrelevance

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The term "planned obsolescence" usually applies to cell phones and computers, not gatherings of prospective professional soccer players. Yet with the 2014 MLS Player Combine now in the books, and the SuperDraft just a day away, it appears the process of replacing both events with shinier, more efficient incarnations is well underway.

This is not to say that it's time to write obituaries for both the combine and the SuperDraft just yet. The process of bringing nearly 70 players together for what essentially is a five-day tryout still has value. It seems like each year, six to eight players end up making significant contributions, with others developing later on. Last season, the Colorado Rapids owed their turnaround in part to the contributions of rookies Dillon Powers and Deshorn Brown.

"It's free players, and it's free players that are relatively well-scouted in the sense that you have a lot of collective wisdom that goes into the recommendations that go into the combine," said Real Salt Lake general manager Garth Lagerwey. "Is it perfect? Never. Is it pretty good? Yeah. At the end of the day, when you're filling out a 30-man roster, you need affordable players that you can develop."

But one only had to look at the faces of the MLS coaches and executives in attendance to see that there was little wow factor as it related to the players on show at Broward County Regional Park.

"People get less and less excited about this because there are fewer and fewer impact players," said Lagerwey.

There was a time, of course, when that wasn't the case. In the early 2000s, teams were allowed a maximum of only three foreign players. For that reason, a well-executed draft could drastically turn around a club's fortunes.

Since then, MLS has embarked on a number of initiatives that have lessened the draft's impact. The number of foreign player slots has increased over the years to eight, and teams are much more aggressive in acquiring green cards for their foreign players, allowing them to count as domestics. Clubs can now look abroad more often to solve their positional needs, especially in the face of the aggressive expansion policy the league has embarked on since 2005, in which MLS has grown from 10 to 19 teams, with two more already waiting to start play in 2015.

The growth of youth academies combined with the Homegrown Player initiative, whereby teams can sign players whom they developed directly and avoid the draft, has cut into the pool of available players in the SuperDraft. According to data on the league's website, 26 homegrown players have been signed to contracts since last year's SuperDraft. That's almost a round and a half of performers who might have otherwise been diverted into this year's event.

The formation of reserve teams that reside in USL PRO -- the third tier of U.S. soccer -- has also served to put more of the player development burden on MLS clubs as opposed to colleges.

Yet the event lives on due to factors both cultural and practical.

"The landscape has changed pretty dramatically, but there's guys out here at the combine that are going to have good careers in MLS," said Philadelphia Union manager John Hackworth. "It's a little bit of a showcase, and in our culture, specifically in the sports world in America, these kind of things get a lot of attention. You see that here, and you'll certainly see that at the draft on Thursday."

It also highlights to a degree the merits of college soccer. The top programs are run in many ways like professional clubs. And the academic demands force players to mature and handle off-field responsibilities. The Homegrown Player rule hasn't been perfected by any means either.

"[The rule] saturates the pool in a huge way," Hackworth added said. "There are some guys who, in my opinion, sign homegrown deals that aren't ready to be MLS players. They would benefit from playing at a level more appropriate for them for a few more years before they make that jump. I think the league is making good strides working with USL PRO teams to have meaningful games for those kind of players. We still have a way to go to get all that right."

How the combine and the draft might evolve further remains an open question, however. Lagerwey suggested that a more low key approach to the two events might be the way to go, where the draft is held around a table the day after the combine is complete.

"The draft, it's just a lot of money," he said. "If you took the draft plus the combine, the combine is easily over $1 million. If you were willing to apply that to player payroll, centralized scouting worldwide, there might be more efficient uses of the money."

That would rob the league of a valuable PR hit, however. Just how valuable is open to debate, but this year's draft will be televised on ESPN News, and MLS, ever mindful of its standing both at home and abroad, welcomes that type of attention in a crowded sports landscape.

MLS EVP of competition and player relations Todd Durbin insisted, "There will always be a draft, but I think as you see our player development initiatives grow, you'll see more international players at the combine."

That approach has been evident this year, with MLS holding a combine for Caribbean players prior to this week's festivities. That was where Jamaican youth international Andre Lewis, who has done plenty to impress coaches in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., first caught the eye.

Is it exciting? Perhaps not. Is the importance receding? Without question. But the value of both the combine and the SuperDraft remains.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
Its a good look, here is a coaches convention also. Lots of coaches from all over America are there. They have coaching clinics and showcases, good for networking and just gaining lots of insight.

Yeah ah know is the NCSAA Convention, tremendous opportunity for those involved in the sport to mix and mingle.  I just on the periphery interest-wise though.  Plus ah have a filing deadline to meet today lol.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
Nick Walker was picked in the 3rd round by FC Dallas
Stefano Rjissel was picked in the 3rd round by Seattle

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
congrats Nicholas Walker, an old classmate of mine in CIC, rel happy for you

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »
I doh relly get excited about these things until I see how it play out. Many times in de past men does get drafted only to be waived two weeks later or sometime before de season start.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »
Institutions across all divisions represented among those on the draft list. Ting to note.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
Actually 4 Caribbean players Damion Lowe is Onandi's son drafted at 7.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 02:01:02 PM »

Yeah ah know is the NCSAA Convention, tremendous opportunity for those involved in the sport to mix and mingle.  I just on the periphery interest-wise though.  Plus ah have a filing deadline to meet today lol.
Well it's back in Philly next year plan accordingly....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rS6AA77f0H4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rS6AA77f0H4</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rS6AA77f0H4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rS6AA77f0H4</a>

When the commentator said "...AND A SCORE" I cringed....

He looks good tho - lets hope he gets himself in the window at FC Dallas. He was very unlucky as this draft was all about good defenders really - any other year and he might have come up higher

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »
I doh relly get excited about these things until I see how it play out. Many times in de past men does get drafted only to be waived two weeks later or sometime before de season start.

Dahis it right dey.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
Not bad. Attacks the ball and appears to be a fearless header of the ball. But the pro-game is different. We will see.

1]; } ?>