March 28, 2024, 03:36:14 AM

Author Topic: The David Nakhid Thread  (Read 166599 times)

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The David Nakhid Thread
« Reply #960 on: June 13, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »
Hearing talk that  Nakhid will be UNC candidate for Tunapuna

I am  hoping that better judgement  will prevail-

For once  would betrayal  to ones principles  be noe repeated..... then again the yelllow tends to attract  those desperately seeking powers by any means necessary.

You ent see the quality of those who then to afflliate with those desperately seeking attention?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 14, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »

back then the government was the largest employer with public servants making up 60% of the country's work force, they were also the largest real estate developers and it was estimate that that 50% of expenditure went to social programs like old age pension, school book grants, government payroll, health care and school subsidies.

back then our total oil revenue was just under a billion usd while others cry out that were we bathing in oil revenues. i laughed to myself as to how ridiculous their assertions were and that we somehow could have looked like singapore as the political leader of the PEP pointed out recently on social media.

it's quite unfortunate that this narrative is the norm in TT and i think we need to have an honest discussion about where we are and where we came from, as controversial tries to indulge us in the most popular assertions that the pnm some how was a bandit party who stunted the growth of this nation.

i believe nothing could be farther from the truth, and though there might have been pockets of corruption here and there with public official and government ministers who indulged in inflated projects and cost over runs or project kick backs, i still believe it's overly exaggerated.

"back then our total oil revenue was just under a billion usd". 
Out of curiosity and for comparative reasons, I wonder what would be the equivalent of 1 billion USD in today's economy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:47:47 AM by Anbrat »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 14, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »
Former national footballer David Nakhid is UNC Tunapuna candidate
T&T Guardian

Former national footballer, David Nakhid, has been chosen by the United National Congress (UNC) as the party’s candidate to contest the Tunapuna seat, in the upcoming General Elections, scheduled to take place before year’s end.

Confirmation came in an official statement issued by the party on Sunday.

The UNC is expected to continue screening for additional candidates over the next week.

The full text of the UNC statement follows…

NATIONAL SPORTS STAR DAVID NAKHID CHOSEN AS UNC CANDIDATE FOR TUNAPUNA

The United National Congress Screening Committee has chosen former National Footballer and International player Mr David Martin Nakhid as the candidate for the Tunapuna constituency in the 2020 General Elections.

Mr Nakhid has long been a staunch supporter of the UNC and an avid believer in the leadership of Kamla Persad Bissessar. The UNC will continue to choose the best candidates who will work in the interest of the people. Our party believes in continuity and the inclusion of new faces who have the best interest of our nation at heart. Mr Nakhid has proven himself a person of high integrity, fierce patriotism and a deep desire to contribute towards the development of Trinidad and Tobago.

The people of Tunapuna and the nation are no stranger to David as he has been active in International Football from the early 1980’s, and at present as he runs the David Nakhid International Academy. Previously he served as the Chief Scout and Assistant Coach for the Trinidad and Tobago National World Cup Team.

He holds a degree in International Relations and Economics.

As the candidate for Tunanpuna and the eventual Member of Parliament, David is committed to representing the forgotten man as the people have been without proper representation under the Keith Rowley administration. The young people especially remain close to David’s heart as he has seen so many talented youths led astray by the lack of opportunity and dim future under this present administration.

David has expressed his full confidence in the plans and policies of the UNC in taking this nation forward and transforming it into a first world nation. He has also expressed his trust and faith in the leadership of the Political Leader Kamla Persad Bissessar as she alone has the will to enable this change so desperately needed to rescue our nation from the dangerous incompetent Rowley regime.

Screening continues next week as the UNC continues to build a team to take Trinidad and Tobago forward.

Candidate Info: David Martin Nakhid – Tunapuna

Mr David Martin Nakhid, a name familiar to everyone in Trinidad and Tobago has always been a man proud of his roots in Trinidad and Tobago. In his rise to International Football stardom, David remained true to the people of this great nation.

Being born in Port of Spain in 1964, David being a talented and gifted footballer attended the American University where he obtained a BA in International Relations. Afterwards he went on to place T&T on the International map by starring as a professional footballer across the world. After David Nakhid played as a professional in Belgium, Switzerland, Greece, Lebanon, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States, Sweden, and the United Arab Emirates where he excelled as a son of T&T.

A humble family man, David is a father of three and has always yearned to contribute in another meaningful way to the development of his homeland. Being blessed with the opportunities that came with being an international footballer he has obtained a vast amount of skills throughout his career from being a FIFA presidential candidate to debating in Europe against the likes of FIFA General Secretary Jerome Champagne.

Wanting the children of Trinidad and Tobago to grow up in a safe nation filled with opportunities, Nakhid has decided to enter politics as the representative for Tunapuna. He was drawn to Tunapuna because of the immense potential of the young people as well as the wealth of experience among the elders. He sees his role as working to bring the community together and using his international experience to transform the constituency. He has always held true to the belief that the nation has the best chance of moving forward under the UNC and with Kamla Persad Bissessar’s leadership style of inclusion, he has been encouraged to serve.

As a father, David wants all children to have the best possible life in Trinidad and Tobago and he is confident that the UNC will provide that future.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 14, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »
Why thes former athletes does turn yellow?!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 14, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »

There's a better question than the one you posed.

Nevertheless, the response to any related question is ... because there is not a perceptibly viable alternative other than "yellow".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:58:39 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 14, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
The writing was on the wall.  Congratulations, David Nakhid. I'll be starting a thread in your name on the General discussion side of the forum. :)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 14, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »

Nevertheless, the response to any related question is ... because there is not a perceptibly viable alternative other than "yellow".

Not true! Borel joined PNM. And there are other parties. MSJ, PeP and NOW.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »

Not true! Borel joined PNM. And there are other parties. MSJ, PeP and NOW.

Are we discussing the same PNM that just rejected Dillon's candidacy? :)

Anyhow, the focus is not on anyone who chose the PNM; the focus is on those that opted not to choose the PNM. There's not much of an argument that the UNC has housed prominent athletes. Parties other than the UNC (anyone looking at the UNC is unlikely to have been entertaining the PNM) have not been viewed as perceptibly viable alternatives. That would change if we move to democratic representation based on proportionality (minority parties would get to seat representatives and would unquestionably attract those who regard the two party hegemony as bankrupt).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:05:43 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 14, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »

Who Dillon, former army guy? Was he an athlete? Wasn't Gary a national hockey player? He was on both sides of the political divide.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 14, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »

Who Dillon, former army guy? Was he an athlete? Wasn't Gary a national hockey player? He was on both sides of the political divide.

He talking about Mervyn Dillon, the former cricketer,

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 14, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

He talking about Mervyn Dillon, the former cricketer,

Oh, my baad. I did not know he was rejected by PNM.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 14, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »
Well we are a free democratic country- People do have the right to choose whomever they wish to align with.

I just  think that based on the principles of a party and the ethics of leadership it seems like an u fathomable choice to chose a party whose leadership in divisive dysfunctional and  destabilizing.

I would like to know how Candidates who are looking for an opportunity into the political foray decide on who they will align with:

- do you jump at where there is a vacancy ?
Or do you consider a party
S ethics morals and leaderspih within?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 15, 2020, 12:43:00 AM »
Well we are a free democratic country- People do have the right to choose whomever they wish to align with.

I just  think that based on the principles of a party and the ethics of leadership it seems like an u fathomable choice to chose a party whose leadership in divisive dysfunctional and  destabilizing.

I would like to know how Candidates who are looking for an opportunity into the political foray decide on who they will align with:

However, if one is serious about helping the country, that’s the party that you would have the best chance of changing or attaining leadership, as a political tactician. Not so ? Unfortunately many aspiring and good ppl tend to fall by the wayside when they constantly butt they head on the wall constructed of Bachanal bricks that is TT administration and politricks. Ppl democratically opposing each other, to give the impression they doing something by fighting each other, instead of supporting and pulling/pushing together. Best wish any newcomers best wishes and hope some    Diety of their choosing guide them to be one day successful, for all TTians sake. Amen, Awomen, Inshallah or whatever is appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:45:43 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 15, 2020, 02:23:47 AM »

I doubt any notoriety achieved by GG was much influenced by anything that occurred on a hockey field.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 15, 2020, 05:59:58 AM »

However, if one is serious about helping the country, that’s the party that you would have the best chance of changing or attaining leadership, as a political tactician. Not so ? Unfortunately many aspiring and good ppl tend to fall by the wayside when they constantly butt they head on the wall constructed of Bachanal bricks that is TT administration and politricks. Ppl democratically opposing each other, to give the impression they doing something by fighting each other, instead of supporting and pulling/pushing together. Best wish any newcomers best wishes and hope some    Diety of their choosing guide them to be one day successful, for all TTians sake. Amen, Awomen, Inshallah or whatever is appropriate.

maxg, tell me where you have the perfect democracy? Canada ? Australia? Denmark, Sweden.  In my years of observing democracy, the "best" political system, I have seen a double edged sword. People are given the choice of associating with who they feel would deliver goods and services for their daily living. Yet people get chastised and hated for which party they join.

Democracy is geared for antagonism. It was not intended to be that way, but it ended up being that way from the get go. When there is campaigning, the different parties are supposed to campaign on the issues, facts and what are the goals for the country. When you go to a meeting, the innuendos, exaggerations, boasting and demonizing are par for the course. Kamla call Rowley a dictator. He call she a  traitor. When the the elections over do you really expect who ever lose to put aside their differences and work with the ruling party. Almost never. It goes both ways. Like when Mitch McConnel told Barak, "our goal is to make you a one term president". This is coming from a man who is in the party of Lincoln, in the the land of the bastion of democracy. You thing the Democrats enjoy working with Trump? They will do everything in their power to get his arse out.

If allyuh think the parties should working hand in hand cumbayah, allyuh on crack. We might as well have a one party system.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: June 15, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »

maxg, tell me where you have the perfect democracy? Canada ? Australia? Denmark, Sweden.  In my years of observing democracy, the "best" political system, I have seen a double edged sword. People are given the choice of associating with who they feel would deliver goods and services for their daily living. Yet people get chastised and hated for which party they join.

Democracy is geared for antagonism. It was not intended to be that way, but it ended up being that way from the get go. When there is campaigning, the different parties are supposed to campaign on the issues, facts and what are the goals for the country. When you go to a meeting, the innuendos, exaggerations, boasting and demonizing are par for the course. Kamla call Rowley a dictator. He call she a  traitor. When the the elections over do you really expect who ever lose to put aside their differences and work with the ruling party. Almost never. It goes both ways. Like when Mitch McConnel told Barak, "our goal is to make you a one term president". This is coming from a man who is in the party of Lincoln, in the the land of the bastion of democracy. You thing the Democrats enjoy working with Trump? They will do everything in their power to get his arse out.

If allyuh think the parties should working hand in hand cumbayah, allyuh on crack. We might as well have a one party system.
I agree with all you say, except I don't know why little we can't have a one people system. No we stuck on the crab in barrel system, providing distraction and entertainment for most of the people, and economic control to a certain few, who already have figured out our particular democratic style. Stronger ppl getting concious doh. Maybe young ppl like Nakhid and other traveled  ppl can stick it out.
I wouldn't have made a good politician, so I didn't even try. However, Please don't ever use America as a example of the bastion of democracy doh. Just look at where they are at present, due to their past, and a always unknown and prejudiced future.  Democracy was meant for all the people, not a particular segment of the populationm  at a particular time. I wouldn't comment further on a Country I have no affiliations in any way with. You may as you live there.

add: Last Night this was on Front page, Today it's not. Go figure
http://newsday.co.tt/2020/06/15/remove-statues-of-brutal-colonialists/?fbclid=IwAR1UvF13oxZVSgUWQSe03joPI4wFnvNOVqfhfsVxFAv_RyyBkF1E5AHKPe4#.XucbHbpGQHI.facebook
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:51:19 AM by maxg »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 17, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
What is more surprising is Abu Bakr lining up with the Government,the PNM,as the saying goes "only in Trinidad".This man is living the life of Riley after committing Treason,should have been shot by a Firing Squad,or serving a Prison sentence for life,and it shudda mean life.This is the hallmark of a Banana Republic. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 17, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
What is more surprising is Abu Bakr lining up with the Government,the PNM,as the saying goes "only in Trinidad".This man is living the life of Riley after committing Treason,should have been shot by a Firing Squad,or serving a Prison sentence for life,and it shudda mean life.This is the hallmark of a Banana Republic. 

Abu has as much "right" to back anybody he want. He did back UNC at one point did he not ? But the irony of this goes back to our legal system. And this I blamed the PNM(Eric Williams, in particular). When we became a republic we should done away with the privy council. We would not have had to deal with the English hypocritical legal system. We get tie up with them and had to release him. If we did not have to adhere to the orders from the privy council, he should have been put out to pasture, or life, as you suggested. Now ask this same opposition to vote out of the privy council, they would laugh in your face.

The reason why I say it English legal system is hypocritical, is with the Abdul Malik case. Abdul Malik killed them people(May They Rest In Peace). One of the dead was Gail Ann Benson, daughter of the big time English socialite. The privy council allowed him to get the rope. If she was not involved, Abdul would have been on TV and writing books, etc, etc.

He got a pardon and we have to live with it. When Robbie said attack with full force, Knolly Clarke, Pantin, John Humphrey and others should have let the army go in. Who knows, TT may have come out far different from what we are now.  Sorry for being so harsh. I am, because the killers in TT making Abu's deeds look like child's play.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:10:03 AM by Deeks »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #978 on: June 19, 2020, 01:07:53 PM »

Abu has as much "right" to back anybody he want. He did back UNC at one point did he not ? But the irony of this goes back to our legal system. And this I blamed the PNM(Eric Williams, in particular). When we became a republic we should done away with the privy council. We would not have had to deal with the English hypocritical legal system. We get tie up with them and had to release him. If we did not have to adhere to the orders from the privy council, he should have been put out to pasture, or life, as you suggested. Now ask this same opposition to vote out of the privy council, they would laugh in your face.

The reason why I say it English legal system is hypocritical, is with the Abdul Malik case. Abdul Malik killed them people(May They Rest In Peace). One of the dead was Gail Ann Benson, daughter of the big time English socialite. The privy council allowed him to get the rope. If she was not involved, Abdul would have been on TV and writing books, etc, etc.

He got a pardon and we have to live with it. When Robbie said attack with full force, Knolly Clarke, Pantin, John Humphrey and others should have let the army go in. Who knows, TT may have come out far different from what we are now.  Sorry for being so harsh. I am, because the killers in TT making Abu's deeds look like child's play.

The DLP was created to divide the nation, Capildeo didn’t even want to be a politician, he told Eric that, sadly our elders like Williams, Capildeo etc are sell outs. Former Colonials got to them, and that’s why TT is the way it is today.

The unc and pnm carry on this tradition of being in the “house”. They are good friends outside of politics and fan the flames of division to keep the nation stuck in a two party system of politics. It’s  rigged and corrupt and they are controlled by the former colonials.

Anyone thinking that TT has full autonomy is foolish, they don’t understand politics and how this world operates. Autonomy would have meant that TT would have progressed to a level beyond Singapore and would have maintained throughout. That wasn’t the plan, Guyana has also faced the same fate, with the extraction of the gold and raping of the resources.

The construction of the two party system under the Westminster model of governance has destroyed TT and our chances to progress. The pnm has been the biggest benefactor of this, the party that has historically destroyed the nation time and time again. Pretending to support the Afro Trinbagonian base, which is pretense.

We need a separate party that stands to unite and not divide, can’t see either party doing that nor either leader bc they have already been bought.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:13:02 PM by Controversial »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 19, 2020, 07:09:11 PM »

The DLP was created to divide the nation, Capildeo didn’t even want to be a politician, he told Eric that, sadly our elders like Williams, Capildeo etc are sell outs. Former Colonials got to them, and that’s why TT is the way it is today.

The unc and pnm carry on this tradition of being in the “house”. They are good friends outside of politics and fan the flames of division to keep the nation stuck in a two party system of politics. It’s  rigged and corrupt and they are controlled by the former colonials.

Anyone thinking that TT has full autonomy is foolish, they don’t understand politics and how this world operates. Autonomy would have meant that TT would have progressed to a level beyond Singapore and would have maintained throughout. That wasn’t the plan, Guyana has also faced the same fate, with the extraction of the gold and raping of the resources.

The construction of the two party system under the Westminster model of governance has destroyed TT and our chances to progress. The pnm has been the biggest benefactor of this, the party that has historically destroyed the nation time and time again. Pretending to support the Afro Trinbagonian base, which is pretense.

We need a separate party that stands to unite and not divide, can’t see either party doing that nor either leader bc they have already been bought.

While I share some of your sentiments about the divisive nature of TT politics, democracy has always been divide and rule. The parties involve tend to have different values which their followers support. It is tougher when their are ethnic or racial groups involved. If the people are the same, then regional rivalries sufaces. Like the north -south schism of the US.

In TT, Guyana and Suriname, there are strong racial composite in politics. For the short time the races have been together and some have mixed with families, politics just brings out the differences in everybody. In TT the UNC has their vision for TT with their based in command. The PNM has their vision of TT with their base inncharge. The UNC is a well funded party, because their base has created both collective and individual wealth over time. The PNM based has failed to duplicate the UNC base. Some in their party may have individual wealth, but the collective wealth is not there. Thus, the PNM need the support of another "minority" base to compete with the UNC. So I ask, why is that wrong for PNM to do that. The socalled other minority are Trinis, are they not? So why the hate? All ah we is Trini? So why can't the 3rd minority support the PNM? All ah we know why. I would not elaborate.

You bring up Singapore. I would have love to see we had 1/10th of the discipline that everybody talk of the Singaporeans. But Singapore is a benevolent dictatorship run by Chinese Singaporeans. The People's Action Party has never lost an election. Lee Kwan Yew was dreader that Eric. He had corrupt ministers jailed. Everybody is kept in line. You will get piece of the action, but don't rock the boat. Singapore is multi-ethnic, Chinese, Indians, Malay. Things are are run in the order I just named there. mine you, the Indians do well inbusiness. But in politics the Chinese RUN things in Singapore. You think they would allow we kind of carnival? Nyet.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:41:09 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 05, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
American University and David Nakhid who sued the University for discrimination, agree to confidentiality order
By Alec Branch (the EAGLE)

Lawyers representing American University and David Nakhid, a Hall of Fame former University soccer player who sued the school for race and ethnicity discrimination, agreed to a confidentiality order last week.

Nakhid, who is Black and from Trinidad and Tobago, was denied a head coaching position for the men’s soccer team, according to his October lawsuit. He was the assistant coach for the Trinidad and Tobago men's national soccer team in 2006, which played in the World Cup in Germany.

AU told The Eagle in October that the school is committed to ensuring inclusive excellence in its hiring practices.

Nakhid’s lawsuit says he was not given fair consideration for the position, following the dismissal of the former head coach in 2018.

Nakhid’s counsel, Eden Brown Gaines, and AU’s counsel, Susan Carnell, mutually agreed to the order.

“It is very common in employment cases for the parties to agree to these types of orders,” Carnell said. “Because the types of information requested and disclosed in [the] discovery [phase] frequently involves personnel information of individuals who are not themselves involved in the litigation.”

Nakhid’s suit says he reached out to the University’s assistant athletic director, and after filling out an application, he was denied an opportunity to interview with University officials. The lawsuit also claims that Zach Samol, the current coach, only received the offer after former AU women’s soccer head coach Mike Brady, declined to take the position. Samol and Brady are both white.

The confidentiality order states: “Any Party may designate as CONFIDENTIAL any Litigation Material, or any portion thereof, that contains (1) trade secret or other confidential or proprietary information of a business or entity, (2) personnel information regarding individuals not a party to this Action, or (3) social security numbers, credit card numbers, medical history, and any similar sensitive personal information or any similar personal or corporate financial information (‘Confidential Information’).”

Nakhid’s counsel did not respond to The Eagle’s request for comment.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 24, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »
WATCH: In-depth interview with former Captain David Nakhid

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jxMvIxab6Y8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jxMvIxab6Y8</a>

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 25, 2021, 01:23:04 AM »
Aspiring politician- Allen achieved is to acquire a government pension- all the hype prior to election - one set of  " sound and fury signifying nothing"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 27, 2021, 06:34:27 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jxMvIxab6Y8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jxMvIxab6Y8</a>

Still working my way through this. The "house negro" is still president of the USVI. Membership has its privileges.

Nakhid also mentioned El Magico Gonzalez. Posted recently about Cadiz's (La Liga) venture in El Salvador .. the legacy of El Magico at Cadiz is the MAIN reason that project is happening at all.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:39:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »

Still working my way through this. The "house negro" is still president of the USVI. Membership has its privileges.

Nakhid also mentioned El Magico Gonzalez. Posted recently about Cadiz's (La Liga) venture in El Salvador .. the legacy of El Magico at Cadiz is the MAIN reason that project is happening at all.

What brand of uniform is displayed in the background. I don't see addidas logo. Or is addidas label covered up ? Or is Acension making their own uniform.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 27, 2021, 08:52:56 PM »

What brand of uniform is displayed in the background. I don't see addidas logo. Or is addidas label covered up ? Or is Acension making their own uniform.

Correct on the last part.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 20, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »
Racial discrimination lawsuit by former American University men’s soccer player, David Nakhid, dismissed in federal court
By Ben Morse (theeagleonline.com)

The racial discrimination lawsuit brought against American University by former AU soccer player David Nakhid has been dismissed, according to Bloomberg Law.

The former AU player sued the University on the basis that he was more qualified than Zach Samol, the head coach ultimately hired. Nakhid, who is Black, also argued that AU had violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and 42 U.S.C. § 1981 for race-based discrimination when he was not hired or interviewed for the job.

According to United States District Judge Amit P. Mehta, AU denied any racial discrimination and claimed that Nakhid, despite a successful career as both a player and club team head coach, had no collegiate coaching experience and that the University was looking for coaches with a college background.

AU hired Samol, who is white, and had 18 years of college coaching experience. Samol led the Eagles to a Patriot League championship and the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2020-2021. AU has also employed just one Black head coach since 2004, hiring Marsha Harper to lead the women’s soccer team in late 2019.

The United States District Court for the District of Columbia agreed with AU’s defense and granted the University summary judgment in an opinion written by Mehta.

The Court concluded that neither federal statute granted protections to a non-citizen who wasn’t living within U.S. borders. Nakhid is a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago and was living in Lebanon at the time he applied for the vacant coaching position. The opinion also concluded that Nakhid had not brought sufficient evidence to support his discrimination claims.

The Court stated that Nakhid was qualified for the position of men’s soccer head coach, but argued that Nakhid’s claims of racial discrimination were flawed based on the facts of the case.

According to court records, the search for a new men’s soccer head coach in 2018 received 100 applications that were reviewed by an all-white four-member committee: Associate Athletic Director Andrew Smith, Athletic Director Billy Walker, Deputy Director of Athletics Josephine Harrington, the Deputy Director of Athletics and the Associate Director of Athletics for External Affairs David Bierwirth.

Of the 100, eight applicants made it to the initial interview round, of which two applicants were Black, according to the document. The second round of interviews was held with five of the prospective coaches via Skype, and then a third and final on-campus interview was held with two of the applicants, one of whom was Black, as well as one of the assistant coaches. Nakhid, who’d reached out to Smith and Walker expressing interest in the job and was told to apply online, never made it to the initial interview round.

The judgment comes after nearly two years of litigation. The United States District Court of the District of Columbia denied AU’s initial request to have the lawsuit dismissed back in 2020 and allowed the case to go forward.

“We are pleased with the court’s decision to grant a summary judgment,” Chief Communications Officer Matthew Bennett wrote in an email to the Eagle. “American University utilizes thorough diverse hiring practices and is committed to fostering a welcoming workplace environment.”

Nakhid’s attorney Eden Brown Gaines expressed disappointment with the ruling and said in an email that Nakhid would appeal the District Court’s decision.

“Discrimination by an employer operating in the United States and subject to its laws is unlawful. Too many federal judges are indifferent to outright hostile to the federally protected rights of Black people,” Brown Gaines wrote in a statement to the Eagle. “The Court of Appeals will have to facilitate Mr. Nakhid’s access to justice and the American people will need to act to unseat the too numerous federal judges who maintain the status quo of white supremacy.”

Nakhid is currently an opposition senator on the Trinidad and Tobago Senate as a member of the United National Congress party and president and owner of the David Nakhid International Football Academy. Nakhid previously served as captain for the Trinidad and Tobago national team and unsuccessfully ran for president of Fifa in 2015.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #987 on: September 26, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »
David Nakhid appeals US court's dismissal of racial discrimination lawsuit.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

Two-time Trinidad and Tobago Footballer of the Year David Nakhid has appealed a US District judge’s decision to dismiss his racial discrimination lawsuit brought against American University (AU).

Nakhid, a former AU player, sued the university on the basis that he was more qualified than Zach Samol, a white man, who was ultimately hired to serve as the school’s head coach.

The ex-national player also argued that AU had violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and 42 US Code 1981 for race-based discrimination when he was not hired or interviewed for the job.

US District judge Amit Mehta said that AU denied any racial discrimination and claimed that Nakhid, despite a successful career as both a player and club team head coach, had no collegiate coaching experience and that the university was looking for coaches with a college background.

The court’s judgment comes after nearly two years of litigation. AU eventually hired Samol, who had 18 years of college coaching experience.

“We put in the appeal on Wednesday. My lawyer was hoping for a different decision from the judge but she expected this ruling. But she had our appeal ready for the Court of Appeal who will look at things in a bit more detail, God willing. And overturn the ruling,” said Nakhid.

He added that the appeal will be heard by the court later on this year and remains hopeful for a better judgment.

Nakhid, who holds a UEFA “A” licence, applied for the job in 2018 although he was based in Lebanon at the time. He had previously expressed interest in the job and was told to apply online. However, he never made it to the initial interview round.

According to an online report by AU’s The Eagle, the US District Court for the District of Columbia agreed with AU’s defence and granted the University summary judgment in an opinion written by Mehta.

“The Court concluded that neither federal statute granted protections to a non-citizen who wasn’t living within US borders. Nakhid is a citizen of TT and was living in Lebanon at the time he applied for the vacant coaching position.”

The opinion also concluded that Nakhid had not brought sufficient evidence to support his discrimination claims.

“The Court stated that Nakhid was qualified for the position of men’s soccer head coach, but argued that Nakhid’s claims of racial discrimination were flawed based on the facts of the case.”

However, the 57-year-old ex-player defended his decision to sue the institution and believes he may have a better chance at winning his case through the Court of Appeal.

“There was an attempt (by AU) to reach an agreement which we refused and that’s why they took it to a Federal Court. They say the coach that was selected had 18 years of college experience.

“But when you look at that, he (Samol) was never a head coach at any point in his career; he was always an assistant coach. Those little details will make a difference when you appeal.

“He made the statement that he also played professional football. But he played in a third or fourth division in the US whereas I played in Europe at the highest level,” Nakhid said.

The ex-coach said he didn’t agree to settle because he wanted to highlight that black and minority people in American football only amounted to about 30 per cent. In coaching, he said, people of colour were represented under two per cent.

“I want to highlight those things and hopefully we get to do so in a trial. We need to highlight the inequities and lack of representation of black and minorities in coaching,” he added.

According to court records, the search for a new men’s head coach in 2018 received 100 applications that were reviewed by an all-white four-member committee. Of the 100, eight applicants made it to the initial interview round, of which two applicants were Black, according to the document.

The Eagle reported, “The second round of interviews was held with five of the prospective coaches via Skype, and then a third and final on-campus interview was held with two of the applicants, one of whom was Black, as well as one of the assistant coaches.”

AU’s chief communications officer Matthew Bennett wrote in an email to the Eagle.

“We are pleased with the court’s decision to grant a summary judgment. AU utilises thorough diverse hiring practices and is committed to fostering a welcoming workplace environment.”

Nakhid is currently an opposition senator in the TT Senate as a member of the United National Congress party and president and owner of the David Nakhid International Football Academy. Nakhid previously served as captain for the TT and unsuccessfully ran for president of Fifa in 2015.

He is also the first senior national to play in the European first division. He made his debut in January 1989 with Grasshopper Club Zurich (Switzerland). Nakhid then transferred to Zulte Waregem (Belgium), POAK (Greece), New England Revolution (USA), Al Emirates (UAE) and Al Ansar (Lebanon).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »
David Nakhid will not win this case. What is his legal standing? If he is not a citizen of the United States, the university has no obligation to either accept his application or invite his for an interview. If you look at American sports, you can find many cases of apparent bias (racial, gender and sexist) in the hiring process. But whether the process is racist or biased will not be determined unless he first has legal standing. That is my legal opinion.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 27, 2021, 10:44:07 AM »
I honestly don't know where David is going with this.

1]; } ?>