March 28, 2024, 08:37:35 AM

Author Topic: R.I.P. Edwin Pouchet.  (Read 1232 times)

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Edwin Pouchet.
« on: March 22, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
Mr. Edwin Pouchet , Arranger of Silver Stars has passed away this mourning. Condolences to his family. The band will be having a wake at the pan yard from 7.30pm tonight.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Edwin Pouchet.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »
Sad news! Another big blow to the steelband movement and to Silver Stars in particular!  :(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
Condolences to the Pouchet family. Always remeber their rendition of "somewhere my love" from Dr. Zhivago. Wicked piece of music that was arranged by his brother Junior. RIP. Blessings

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
Condolences to the family, friends and Silver Stars members.  He and his brother were pioneers in bringing pan out of the "bad john" stage.  When fellas like dem (not from behind de bridge, ruffnek as was the stereotype in de days) could be associated with pan, it helped to "legitimize" the art form.

Not to mention their music which was always of a high standard.  T&T has lost one of our musical icons.

RIP Mr. Pouchet. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Pannists pay tribute to Pouchet at funeral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Pannists pay tribute to Pouchet at funeral
By Gary Cardinez (T&T Express)
Story Created: Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM ECT

The young pannists of PCS Nitrogen Silver Stars showed true grit and maturity yesterday morning as they played a repertoire of music for their dear arranger, Ed­win Pouchet.

For about 45 minutes, the players went through the songs, some with tears running down their cheeks. The fact that Pouchet’s body lay in a casket in front of the band did not make it any easier on the players.

The session began after the funeral service at the Church of the Assumption in Maraval.

The players walked out of the church behind the white casket bearing Pouchet’s remains. They tried to collect themselves as they went behind their instruments.

The session brought smiles to the faces of many who stood around, enjoying the music arranged by Pouchet.

According to drillmaster Bravo (Donell Thomas), “We are all very sad and shaken but we have to do this; it was his wish that we play for him.
He also told us that the band has to go on.
“Pouchet was our mentor, our teacher and our father; he was a prophet in the pan world and we will miss him.”

Pouchet was eulogised by his two daughters, who showed how much of a great father he was. He loved his family, his music and his band members. He was a father to them all.

In his homily, Fr John The­­odore was a bit harsh on the congregation, in making his point that a life or relationship with Jesus is the only way.
“Look at Edwin lying in this casket; he does not have anything with him but his relationship with God. We are stupid, running down riches and in­­­fluential friends, not thinking about the other world. We can’t live a secular life.

Theodore emphasised the notion it was “stupid” to do so. His point of living in this world as sinners was well received but took some people by surprise.

The Church of the Assumption was filled and overflowing with people from the sphere of culture and, specifically, the pan world.

The Silver Stars steelband was founded in the 1950s by Pouchet’s older brother Edgar “Junior” Pouchet, along with a nucleus of other players. Edgar died in 2012 in Orlando, Florida, USA.

Within recent years, the popular Tragarete Road, Newtown, Port of Spain, steelband won the Panorama competition in 2009 and 2010 under Edwin’s leadership.

Members of Petrotrin Phase II Pan Groove, including arranger Len “Boogsie” Sharpe; BP Renegades; CAL Invaders; Petrotrin Katzenjammers from Tobago; and Carib Woodbrook Playboys, inclu­ding deputy Mayor of Port of Spain Keron Valentine, attended.

Pan Trinbago president Keith Diaz and members of his executive were also in the congregation. Entertainer Denyse Plummer, who had a very good relationship with Pouchet, looked lost.

Edwin Pouchet, arranger, composer, mentor and father, was laid to rest at the Lapeyrouse Cemetery in Port of Spain, leaving memories of great pan music like “Phantom of the Opera”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “First in the Line” and “Battle Zone”.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>