March 28, 2024, 10:55:49 PM

Author Topic: Tears, But Hope..( Sports Trinidad .Express Article)  (Read 975 times)

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Tears, But Hope..( Sports Trinidad .Express Article)
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:58 PM »
Is the dawn of a new day ?  Yes i do Believe what took place  in the caymans islands has  shone light  on what can potentially be achieved when all united fronts come together .collectively ... again  what these young ladies has done in terms of their performances and efforts  , i do believe is shine a light  on what needs to be done and can further be gained.... i am appealing  once again don't let efforts be vain .....i have just finished reading a very most refreshing article in the (Trinidad Express Sports)  and have to admit delight  with the welcome they've ( the team  players and officials  received......that's how it should be .done ... its uplifting..... to see the girls smile again  after what must have been emotionally tough ... cheers and thanks  again  young  ladies, coach izler brown   and  staff  keep up the good  work.....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tears, But Hope..( Sports Trinidad .Express Article)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »
Ok....where de article  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
TEARS, BUT HOPE
U-20 women make emotional return

Jan 22, 2014 T&T Express Reports

The manager and players of the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Under 20 team broke into tears as their emotions overwhelmed them at their welcome home reception ceremony for the team at the Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre yesterday.

But Minister of Sports Anil Roberts, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president Raymond Tim Kee, and top female field athlete Cleopatra Borel all praised the team’s effort and encouraged them to prepare for their next opportunities.

Fresh from their fourth place finish in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup qualifying tournament in the Cayman Islands, the memories and emotions of their near miss were also raw.
Manager of the women’s team Lyndell Hoyte-Sanchez had to be propped up by Trinidad and Tobago Women’s Football president Sharon O’Brien, as her knees buckled and tears flowed from her eyes.

“It was a long, long, road. We had some really, really rough roads, there were obstacles on the way we were able to surpass and move forward,” she said adding that Minister Roberts took personal interest in the team by coming out every Saturday morning to train and motivate them.
Hoyte-Sanchez took another break to collect herself.

“We knew before (we left) that Costa Rica was the game of our lives and I told the girls this is going to be the game of their lives, the hardest game they will ever have to play in their life. We went out there, stuck to the plan and I just don’t know what happened. We had 85 minutes of glory, we saw ourselves in Canada and the plane just turned around and brought us back home.”
T&T led 3-2 before the Costa Ricans got their game-changing late equaliser.

She continued: “ We wanted to do this so bad for the country and also to lift (the profile of) women’s football in T&T and the Caribbean. It is hard, sometimes we feel like we let the country down,” Hoyte-Sanchez said in between sobs.

Still, the manager congratulated her girls for their game effort and wished the national senior team headed by skipper May Lee Attin-Johnson, success in their campaign to qualify for the 2015 World Cup.
Borel related her sense of disappointment when she had a failed 2008 Beijing Olympics campaign and burst into tears during a train ride.

“From that moment I knew I was in it for the long run,” she said. “In life your greatest disappointment in sport, your greatest disappointment in life can turn out to be your greatest source of motivation.”
Tim Kee said he was extremely proud of the team who he said were pioneers in terms of T&T women’s World Cup qualifying efforts.

“You demonstrated grit, guts and commitment and all the other attributes to earn the right to be referred to as winners,” the Mayor of Port of Spain said.
Roberts said the Under 20 women were successes before they started because of their commitment to discipline, dedication and excellence. The D’Abadie/O’Meara MP said: “You were successful because you dared to take a risk and put your heart and soul into something, and that is a brilliant thing.”

Roberts said the girls would qualify for future World Cups but their efforts and hard work at the Concacaf tournament would be remembered forever.
World Champion 400 metres hurdler Jehue Gordon and former Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris and teammate Leonson Lewis were also on hand to give encouragement.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:07:48 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:16 AM »
Boost for women’s football.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

They might be out of the 2014 Women’s Under-20 World Cup but the performance of the T&T U-20 team at the Concacaf Women’s final round in Cayman Island has given an indication that there is hope for the local women’s game.

Several of the players have been part of the women’s programme for at least five years, being part of the team that played at the 2010 Fifa U-17 Women’s World Cup. Skipper Anique Walker and some of her teammates have gained tremendous international experience over the period and should graduate to the senior team in due course.

“I’m disappointed because we are not going to the World Cup but I think the experience we have gained is going to serve us well. We just have to pick ourselves up and come again,” Walker said.

The local-based players will now feel a sense of pride as they return to their clubs and hopefully they will influence more interest in the local game from other players with potential, while the North American-based players will continue to make strides and their performances will hopefully encourage more scouts to discover local talent and help them develop further in the US which is a known powerhouse in the women’s game.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
Ricarda Nelson continues to be in the bowels of Womens football in Trinidad and Tobago. She heaps praises on Coach Izler Brown and her Technical Staff, while calling for the authorities to support Womens football.
https://www.facebook.com/socawarriors.net/posts/10151889380233093
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
Anton Corneal explains what went wrong with U-20 Girls against Costa Rica.
https://www.facebook.com/socawarriors.net/posts/10151889381923093

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
Raw Sport speaks one on one with National U-20 Womens Captain Anique Walker as she takes time to relive the experience in the World Cup qualifying journey in the Cayman Islands.
https://www.facebook.com/socawarriors.net/posts/10151889383413093

1]; } ?>