March 29, 2024, 03:19:33 AM

Author Topic: Carnival 2014  (Read 21915 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Machel retains Power Soca Monarch
...Du Bois wins Groovy

By Donstan Bonn
Story Created: Mar 1, 2014 at 6:51 AM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Machel-retains-Power-Soca-Monarch-248009941.html

Defending Power Soca Monarch king Machel Montana retained his title despite getting stiff challenges from Hollice "Mr Kill@" Mapp, Neil Iwer George and Destra Garcia at the 2014 International Soca Monarch competition at the National Stadium in Port of Spain on Friday.

The Carnival showpiece, dubbed "Fantastic Friday", saw Montano used a host of dancers, including break dancers, and less props as he's renowned for in his presentation of "Ministry Of The Road."

Clad in a yellow suit and black tie, Montano was able to energise the crowd as his dancers went through a high intensity routine while a member of his supporting cast attempted to smash up a piece of road, the one noticeable prop used, with a sledgehammer.

Mr Kill@, who was considered a serious contender to dethrone Montano, finished in a historic three-way tie for second with Destra Garcia and Neil Iwer George.

During the performing of his immensely popular "Rolly Polly", the Grenadian soca artiste did a handstand on the back of two of his rolly polly dancers before introducing his major prop, a rolly polly machine.
He had a slim young lady enter the machine to be subsequently transformed into a 'Rolly Polly' woman, almost four times her original size.
Iwer, as usual, showed he still possessed the uncanny ability to get the crowd to respond to his every urging while delivering "Mama Oye" while Garcia gave a polished performance of her 2014 hit "Mash Up."
But they were unable to remove the king off his Power throne.

In the Groovy category, however, Kerwin Du Bois was able to accomplish what the others failed to do - dethrone Montano.

Du Bois' "Too Real" proved to be too groovy for Montano's "Happiest Man Alive" as he won the approval of the judges and the crowd.

Montano took second with "Big People Party" securing third position for Darryl "Farmer Nappy" Henry and Garcia rounding out the top four with "First Time."

Results

Power Soca Monarch
1. Machel Montano - :Ministry Of The Road"
2. Hollice "Mr Kill@" Mapp - "Rolly Polly"
2. Neil Iwer George - "Mama Oye"
2. Destra Garcia - "Mash Up"

Groovy Soca Monarch
1. Kerwin Du Bois - "Too Real"
2. Machel Montano - "Happiest Man Alive"
3. Darryl "Farmer Nappy" Henry - "Big People Party"
4. Destra Garcia - "First Time"
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 09:07:57 AM »
Chucky is 2014 Calypso Monarch
By Donstan Bonn
Story Created: Mar 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 3, 2014 at 3:48 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/articles/Chucky-is-Calypso-248143721.html

Roderick "Chucky" Gordon is the new Calypso Monarch of Trinidad and Tobago.

He won the title from Kurt Allen and Selvon "Mistah Shak" Noel, in that order, at the Dimanche Gras at the Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain, on Sunday.

Singing in position eight, the reigning Independence Calypso Monarch delivered two well-received renditions of "Wey Yuh Think" and "Wedding Of De Century" to wrest the crown from Eric "Pink Panther" Taylor, who placed eleventh.

At the tail end of his delivery of "Wedding", a song depicting the marriage between soca and chutney, Chucky brought on stage Drupatee Ramgoonai, Ray Holman and Superblue, who he introduced as the iconic representatives of chutney, pan and soca, respectively.

Allen, who sang "Sweet Sizzling Summer" and "The Lost Psalm Of King David", also had two crowd-pleasing performances, but they were not enough to prevent the bard referred to as 'The Last Badjohn of Calypso' from being third-time unlucky in having to settle for the runner-up position for the third consecutive year.
Noel was equally good in his delivery of "Bois" and "Crime Round De Clock".
The level of the competition was at a very high standard with Brian London (5th), Victoria "Queen Victoria" Cooper (6th) and Dr Hollis "Chalkdust" Liverpool (4th), all delivering strong performances.
The first, second and third received cash prizes of $1,000,000, $500,000 and $250,000, respectively.

One of the evening's highlights was a guest appearance by Dr Slinger Francisco.

The "Birdie", as he's affectionately called, did a spirited medley of past hits "Jean & Dinah", "The Lizard", "Melda" and "Drunk and Disorderly", to which patrons applauded lustily in appreciation.
Results
1. Roderick "Chucky" Gordon - 'Wey Yuh Think"/"Wedding Of De Century"
2. Kurt Allen - "Sweet Sizzling Summer"/"The Lost Psalm Of King David"
3. Selvon "Mistah Shak" Noel - "Bois"/"Crime Round De Clock"
4. Hollis "Chalkdust" Liverpool - "Ah Miss De Bards"/"De Guest List"
5. Brian London - "The Heart Of A Warrior"/"Call Dem Out"
6. Victoria "Queen Victoria" Cooper - "Political Love Affair"/"Congo Warrior"
7. Alana Sinnette - "Sea Lots"/"And Calling It Rain"
8. Weston "Cro Cro" Rawlins - "Pious, Poor But Proud"/"Goodness Delayed"
9. Carlos "Skatie" James - "Calypso Woman"/"Jack And Jill"
10. Myron "The Incredible Myron B" Bruce - "One More Sip"/"First Black Prime Minister"
11. Eric "Pink Panther" Taylor - "De Richest Man"/"Not Tonight"
12. Roger "Bodyguard" Mohammed - "Aloes Vendor"/"False Papers"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Anyone has a link where you can stream the parade of the bands?

I've been trying to find one but no luck thus far.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »

http://www.jamaicalivetv.com/ncbatrinidad/payperview/page2.php?agree=0

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »

http://www.jamaicalivetv.com/ncbatrinidad/payperview/page2.php?agree=0

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
Parade of the Bands should be free and in HD tomorrow at this link: http://carnivaltv.net/featured/live
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
Parade of the Bands should be free and in HD tomorrow at this link: http://carnivaltv.net/featured/live

Yuh sure bout dat?  NCC didn't shoot down streaming like this??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »

Okay bc there wasn't anything there today. I'm surprised we don't have a local company streaming.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »

I think that is just the socadrome that CarnivalTV streaming.
All the bikinis and feathers you want.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »

I'll have to put on my privacy screen on work tomorrow then

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

I'll have to put on my privacy screen on work tomorrow then

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
If you're interested. Brazil:

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/carnaval/2014/desfile-apuracao/cobertura/

I getting it quite clear. A totally different kettle of fish as compared to our Trini presentation

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
The amount of boobs I see in this one section. mercy!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2014, 12:30:32 PM »
From the little I saw at the socadrome, it doesn't seem like much action going on. The stream even signed off lol

Don't know if the bands coming through later

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
From the little I saw at the socadrome, it doesn't seem like much action going on. The stream even signed off lol

Don't know if the bands coming through later

Only 5 bands in the socadrome: Tribe, Bliss, Yuma, Harts and Passion. After all the talk, they still going to the Savannah. Might be bigger next year.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
Does it have a stream  where you can at leats pay? I don't understand why TUCO restricting the broadcast  of the carnival. Everyone shows off there event to the world, we hiding it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Does it have a stream  where you can at leats pay? I don't understand why TUCO restricting the broadcast  of the carnival. Everyone shows off there event to the world, we hiding it.

If you want to pay http://www.jamaicalivetv.com/ncbatrinidad/payperview/page2.php?agree=0

It looks like Harts is about to cross the Socadrome http://carnivaltv.net/featured/live

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »
San Fernando Parade of the Bands at this link: https://www.facebook.com/ourtv4/app_527801540573823
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
Oh gorm, where de las lap link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frustrated:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 05:30:16 AM »
‘Socadrome’ falls flat
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdasss@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Mar 4, 2014 at 9:57 PM ECT
Story Updated: Mar 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Socadrome-falls-flat-248472951.html

The vibrancy and energy of Carnival was not present yesterday at the new venue for some of the big bands of Carnival— “Socadrome”—as both masqueraders and spectators were left wanting.

Socadrome was the brainchild of four major mas bands—Tribe, Harts, Yuma and Bliss, later joined by Passion—whereby these bands, with some 15,000 masqueraders, would pass over a stage at the Jean Pierre Complex, Woodbrook, instead of the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain.

The bands were scheduled to cross the stage at the complex from 8 a.m., but the first band, Yuma, did not get to the stage till around 9.50 a.m.

Yuma took around one and a half hours to exit the stage and was followed by Bliss.

“I miss the Savannah; this area is too small, it doesn’t have enough spectators. I am a masquerader, I like to portray myself,” said Selena George of St Joseph, a masquerader in Bliss.

“We just not feeling the Carnival vibe here, we need more spectators; this is the third time I playing mas since 2010 and the vibe just off,” said Kaye McKnight in Yuma.

But according to Ashish Dawar, from the section Beasts and Bacchanal in Bliss, his Carnival experience was worth it.

Dawar said there was less of a waiting time to cross the stage and he preferred the higher stage at the complex.

Karina Ramsingh, 25, of Tribe, told the Express she preferred Socadrome because of the organisation structure.

One of the reasons for having the bands pass through the Socadrome was less waiting time to cross the stage.

“We don’t need to line up as we did before for four and five hours at the Savannah...to me, this was the best advantage,” said Kearin Ramrattan.

Collin Sookhoo said the Savannah was sentimental to him, in that it has been the place of Carnival for decades.

“The soul has sentimental attachment, but I have recognised that Carnival has grown over the years and we must embrace alternative accommodation,” said Sookhoo from The Spirit of Tribe.

Another Tribe masquerader, reigning Miss Trinidad and Tobago Catherine Miller, 22, said it was her first time crossing the stage as she portrayed her national costume, with which she placed second in that category at the Miss Universe pageant in Russia last year.

Miller said she was happy to participate in the mas as it was reflective of the unity of the Trinbagonian people.

Soca star Fay-Ann Lyons, who also played in Tribe, told the Express she preferred the Savannah for mas.
She said Carnival was about everyone—both masqueraders and spectators—and there were not enough spectators at the complex.

Minister of Community Development Winston “Gypsy” Peters said he preferred the Savannah but will leave it up to the masqueraders to decide what is best for them and what they want.

Minister of the Arts and Multiculturalism Lincoln Douglas played it safe, saying he will have to get feedback from the bands to determine whether Socadrome was a success or not.

According to an Express check, only three of the bands crossed the stage at the Jean Pierre Complex— Yuma, Bliss and Tribe.

Patrons waited from 1.30 p.m. to almost 4 p.m. for another big band to cross, but the place was deserted.
The venue was lacking in patrons, and the few who were present started departing by 3.30 p.m.
There was no sign of Harts or Passion and the Express was told they were stuck in traffic,

Patrons at the venue unanimous­ly told the Express that while they were comfortable, they preferred more bands to be passing by and more excitement at the dull Socadrome.

Machel Montano’s Ministry of Road was the most popular song played at the Socadrome, but it did not count for the Road March title as the venue was not a judging point.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 05:41:10 AM »
This Socadrome thing illustrates the problem with many of the conventions of Trinidad Carnival. Even though many of the things we take as tradition have only grown up relatively recently, they are now so ingrained in the psyche of Trinidad carnival that it's hard to let it go.

We can all see the problems, but they can't be fixed. The "party bands" patrons will complain about the congestion, but as soon as you move them, they complain about not crossing the Savannah stage. I imagine that next year, we will return to the norm. Huge bands, with nothing particularly interesting to portray (other than skin) take hours to cross the Savannah stage, and then post carnival, they will complain about how long it took.

Same thing with Panorama, All that sturm und drang about the greens and the pan splash. How come all these die-hard pan lovers don't turn out for Small/Single Pan?

Also, I'll say it plain. Soca Monarch Soca Shouter is a terrible show and has been for years. But now it's got a "tradition" behind it, so it's going to be hard to change it. There was nothing about that show that would make me tell any non trini to watch it. The claim that it somehow increases the profile of T&T and Soca is questionable.  Just free Gov't money for a private enterprise.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
I think all the bands can cross the savannah stage BUT everything must run according to schedule and you know how we are with schedules. I haven't been to carnival in over a decade so I'm not really sure how much the savannah stage has changed but I grew up in the savannah living in Belmont.

If masqueraders want the savannah due to the "appeal" can't organizers not find a way lessen to congestion? Is the route still up Fredrick St. past Memorial Park and into the Savannah? From my experience that's serious bottleneck for mas and panorama.

From watching Brazil's carnival it seems like they have everything organized and they've engineered everything to flow according to plan.   

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
Wikipedia have Machel Montano’s Ministry of Road listed as Roadmarch 2014. Can't find any definitive results.

Is that correct?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »
Wikipedia have Machel Montano’s Ministry of Road listed as Roadmarch 2014. Can't find any definitive results.

Is that correct?

No real debate needed there. You don't need a count to know that is the winner

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »

Is that correct?

No real debate needed there. You don't need a count to know that is the winner

thanks
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »

Is that correct?

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if that entry was made before Carnival.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
Is the route still up Fredrick St. past Memorial Park and into the Savannah? From my experience that's serious bottleneck for mas and panorama.

From watching Brazil's carnival it seems like they have everything organized and they've engineered everything to flow according to plan. 

The route to the Savannah has not change. You will literally feel the real nostalgia of bottleneck. I think they should use JP to gether with the QPS. Have a staggered parade.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »
Is the route still up Fredrick St. past Memorial Park and into the Savannah? From my experience that's serious bottleneck for mas and panorama.

The route to the Savannah has not change. You will literally feel the real nostalgia of bottleneck. I think they should use JP to gether with the QPS. Have a staggered parade.

“I miss the Savannah; this area is too small, it doesn’t have enough spectators. I am a masquerader, I like to portray myself,” said Selena George of St Joseph, a masquerader in Bliss.

“We just not feeling the Carnival vibe here, we need more spectators; this is the third time I playing mas since 2010 and the vibe just off,” said Kaye McKnight in Yuma.

The can use both but everyone want to cross the savannah stage according to comments above. The Savannah is a big place, I'm sure if the organizers change things up a bit, may widening the path up to the stage, altering routes and tweaking certain things so revelers do not have to wait as long to cross the stage that will be great.
Maybe they can design it where like you said they stagger it so bands can cross both at different times, that may also help.

1]; } ?>