April 28, 2024, 01:14:51 PM

Author Topic: FA Cup: Why all roads lead back to Port Vale for Chris Birchall  (Read 811 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FA Cup: Why all roads lead back to Port Vale for Chris Birchall
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
FA Cup: Why all roads lead back to Port Vale for Chris Birchall
By Jamie Jackson (theguardian.com)

Chris Birchall may have played alongside David Beckham in Los Angeles and against England in a World Cup finals, but that does not mean the Port Vale midfielder will be treating Saturday's FA Cup tie against Brighton & Hove Albion lightly.

Birchall's intriguing career captured the limelight when the Stafford-born Englishman received an unlikely call-up for Trinidad & Tobago, and he then faced Sven-Goran Eriksson's England side at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

On Saturday at Vale Park Birchall will don the colours of his boyhood team in the fourth-round tie against Brighton, one of his six former clubs in a footballing odyssey that has also taken in Coventry City, St Mirren, Carlisle United, Beckham's LA Galaxy and Columbus Crew, before coming full circle with a return to Vale this time last year.

"I'd definitely say I was an old 29-year-old because of the places that I've been and the managers I've played under, the different opportunities I've had of playing in different countries. I feel like I have been around really," says Birchall, who is relishing facing Brighton, seventh in the Championship, with Vale's eighth position in League One an indication of how well they are performing this season.

Birchall's globe-trotting days began during his first spell with Port Vale, for whom he had made his debut aged 16 in a 2-0 League Cup defeat away at Charlton in September 2001. He had only just established a first-team place when, four years later in 2005, the surprise international call came from Trinidad & Tobago, for whom Birchall qualifies due to the fact his mother was born in the Trinidadian capital Port of Spain.

"It was a long time ago. They called me up and the next week I was on a plane [to Trinidad], I'd never been there before and it was a bit of a culture shock, I didn't know how people were going to take me, accept me," says Birchall, although he was was welcomed warmly. "There's a lot of different cultures over there, so I didn't expect to be accepted as much as I was," says Birchall. "But on the pitch [how I] try to battle, they took to that and I was lucky, really."

He played an integral role in the Soca Warriors securing a berth at the World Cup for the first time, scoring a late equaliser in the home leg of the play-off against Bahrain. T&T won the away match, 1-0, to become the smallest nation ever, in terms of both population and geography, to compete in the finals.

"It was great. I was very young, and it was a whirlwind," says Birchall, who featured in all three group games in Germany in a squad that included Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop and Kenwyne Jones. "Once we [made it] I couldn't wait, it seemed to take ages," Birchall says. "But once there it was something I didn't really appreciate until I looked back and watched the DVDs. But it was a great experience."

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup: Why all roads lead back to Port Vale for Chris Birchall
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AYTzAvJrB3w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AYTzAvJrB3w</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup: Why all roads lead back to Port Vale for Chris Birchall
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
FA Cup fourth round preview: Chelsea face Stoke at Stamford Bridge (Skysports.com)

The only all-Premier League FA Cup fourth round clash sees Chelsea entertain Stoke City at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

Jose Mourinho has only won the FA Cup once, in 2007, so lifting the trophy on his return to England is likely to be quite high on his list of ambitions.

Chelsea showed they are taking the competition seriously with the impressive 2-0 win at Derby in the last round and their fourth FA Cup triumph in six years could be on the cards.

Chelsea are in the midst of an excellent run of form having won their last six games in all competitions and they will provide Stoke with a huge test.

Stoke, losing finalists in 2011, certainly have one eye on the Premier League relegation fight, but Mark Hughes will be looking for a good cup run.

Stoke came through a tough clash with high-flying Leicester City in the last round but, unlike Chelsea, their form has not been great and since their third round win they have lost their last two games.

The two clubs have met four times in the FA Cup before, with Chelsea having won three of those encounters. The last meeting was in 2010 when Chelsea claimed a 2-0 victory.

Chelsea

Demba Ba could be set to given his chance to lead the line against Stoke.

With Fernando Torres ruled out, Mourinho may opt to rest hat-trick hero Samuel Eto'o.

With Juan Mata's impending move to Manchester United, Mohamed Salah is expected to sign before Sunday from Basel - but he will not be involved.

Stoke City

Asmir Begovic is in contention to play after recovering from a broken finger.

The Bosnia goalkeeper has returned to full training after breaking the digit on Christmas Day.

Striker Kenwyne Jones COULD be recalled after being dropped from the squad for the loss at Crystal Palace after his previous refusal to play against Liverpool.

John Guidetti, on loan from Manchester City, could feature to follow up on his debut from the bench at Crystal Palace.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:44:20 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>