April 19, 2024, 02:46:31 AM

Author Topic: Trini NYU student plunges to death from dorm roof  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trini NYU student plunges to death from dorm roof
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
Naked NYU freshman plunges to death from dorm roof: cops
By Lorena Mongelli, Bob Fredericks and Daniel Prendergast (New York Post)

A stark-naked freshman who “looked like he was on drugs” plunged to his death from the roof of a New York University dorm early Monday – the first day of classes for the spring semester, cops and witnesses said.

Aspiring rapper Titan Lee-Hai, 19, from Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, plummeted 15 stories from the Third North Residence Hall at 75 Third Ave. near East 11th Street in the East Village about 3:20 a.m. after a night of partying with a pal, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Another student said the naked victim walked into an elevator he was riding in minutes before he died and punched him in the head for no reason.

“I was the last person to see him alive. I was in the elevator and he just walked in and punched me in the face and then he asked me where he was. He was naked when he walked in. So, it was pretty obvious he was not in his senses. He had no sense of where he was or what time it was,” said Shazim Khurshid, 19, a freshman. “He looked like he was on drugs, a lot of drugs.”

Khurshid said the victim – who lived on the second floor – rode to the top floor and opened a door to the roof, triggering an alarm that forced students to evacuate before he either fell or jumped.

“I never saw him before. It is sad,” Khurshid said, adding that the teen urinated on the floor before getting into the elevator. “It was pretty obvious he was not in his senses.”

He was rushed to Bellevue Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Friends on Facebook described the victim as a talented rapper and producer.

“Just heard of the passing of a real friend and a genuine inspiration to my performance. He’s not only the guy who inspired me to try my hand at rap, he’s the person who worked on my entire mixtape with me,” wrote Brendon Jeremy O’Brien “R.I.P to one of Trinidad’s most prolific young talents Titan Lh……It was truly a great honor to have performed with you while you were alive,” added Ayinde NinjaBoi Nurse Sources said the victim did not leave a note, and was alone on the roof at the time.

Police initially said the death was being treated as a suicide, but law enforcement sources said later that he may have been on drugs and that it was uncertain if he fell or jumped. Toxicology test results won’t be available for several weeks.

Cops were looking for the unidentified friend he had been out with.

Another freshman who lives in the dorm said everyone was evacuated when Lee-Hai triggered the alarm.

“We were evacuated from the building at around 3:15. My friends said they saw a body lying in the courtyard. It’s sad,” she said.

University officials said the circumstances surrounding his death were still under investigation.

“It is with great sorrow that we report that a freshman was found in an interior courtyard in the residence hall where he lived. It appears as though his death occurred as a result of a fall from the roof of the building,” said NYU spokesman John Beckman.

“Police and the University are looking into events preceding the discovery of the body in order to determine the cause and nature of his death.”

If it is determined that he jumped, it would be at least the fourth suicide at NYU in a little over a decade.

Two students jumped to their deaths in 2003 and another died in 2009, prompting school officials to take precautionary measures such as installing aluminum barriers in the university’s main library to prevent people from jumping from the top floors into the atrium.

Beckman said NYU was offering help for students who may have been traumatized by the incident.

“We have had crisis counselors at the residence hall since early this morning, providing support to student residents and the hall staff. Their presence on site will continue,” he said.

“We want to remind students of the availability of help around the clock at NYU … and we want everyone to remember that you will not get in trouble for calling in professional staff … to help when someone is struggling with an immediate problem.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trini NYU student plunges to death from dorm roof
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
RIP every child headed to the US this fall parents just got more tisic.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »
I wonder what support system was in place for him..........did he grow up in foreign or home........Stupes........RIP yes boy

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
I wonder what support system was in place for him..........did he grow up in foreign or home........Stupes........RIP yes boy

St Mary's old boy
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:42:30 PM »
Was there a history of this behaviour? It have to be a hell of a drug that made him do such a thing. RIP. God Bless!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:16:42 PM »
Well, that fell or jumped distinction will be influential going forward ...

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:12 PM »
On twitter yesterday there was an article stating he was high off mushrooms...not sure how accurate that is though but see here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/18-year-old-man-dies-jumping-nyu-dorm-article-1.1592388

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »
Titan’s dance teacher: Death a serious blow
By Michelle Loubon (Express).

“Trinidad and Tobago has lost a budding star.”

Adrian Daniel, choreographer, hip-hop department of Elle NYTT (New York/Trinidad and Tobago) dance company, made this comment after he heard of the death of Trinidadian student Ti­tan Lee-Hai in the United States.

The 19-year-old plunged to his death from a 15-storey New York University apartment  buil­ding in New York City, USA, ear­ly Monday morning. Lee-Hai was “stark naked” and “looked like he was on drugs” when he jumped.

New York police had two theories—he may have committed suicide or may have been on drugs.

But his father, David Lee-Hai, said he did not believe his son, a former pupil of St Mary’s College in Port of Spain, committed suicide.

In a telephone interview yesterday, Daniel said he and the ensemble spent quality time with Lee-Hai when he visited during Christmas holidays. Daniel also said director La Shaun Prescott, who is in New York, was devastated.

Still reeling from the news, Daniel said: “It was a serious blow to hear what we were hearing. It is not the Titan we know...we are hearing all the negatives. He was a star in the making; he could sing, he was serious about his dance. He could rap and dance on top of it. T&T has lost a star.”

Daniel added: “He never gave the impression of having any difficulties at home or any troubles. It is baffling.”

Asked how his peers were dealing with the sad news, Daniel said: “They have posted vide­os on YouTube. The most re­­cent video and a song was from Bunji Garlin’s “Truck On the Road”. It was the last time we spent time with him before he went to New York. He liked videography. It was something I disco­vered about him. He has videos on Trizzykids.”

The loss has not yet sunk in with the other children.

“The children are messaging me and asking if it is true. He is one of the peers. My heart goes out to them in a big way. I have to talk to them before I start class. It is a sad time for all of us.”

Reflecting on his meeting with the adolescent Lee-Hai, Daniel said he was struck by his punctuality and regularity.

“Titan was brought to me in his teens. He was punctual and reliable. It is something you don’t see in young people. He showed his dedication. We began moulding him to perform with the company. He would dance at corporate events for companies or sports days. He has done performances. We could depend upon him. We knew we had an upcoming star.”

Initially, Daniel said, Lee-Hai had some difficulty adapting to the music, but he kept pushing the envelope, eventually graduating from open to advanced classes.

“We noted his development with pride and pushed him towards achieving excellence. He was a budding star. We saw the potential. Titan was really talen­ted,” said Daniel.

Asked if he had contacted his parents, Daniel said: “With all the negative publicity, I was hesitant to find out how they were doing. They must have been bombarded with calls and messages. They might not be able to deal with another voice. You can never understand how they are feeling. It’s a tremendous loss and it is heartbreaking.”

On a lighter note, Daniel said: “He is a serious doubles man. He did a video on doubles. He want­ed doubles in New York. He was a bona fide Trini.”

Veteran music arranger Carl “Beaver” Henderson said he did not know him as well as Daniel but he knew Titan was talented.

He expressed his condolen­ces to the Lee-Hai family.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>