April 29, 2024, 01:38:12 AM

Author Topic: TT vs USA Nov. 19, 1989.......Full Game  (Read 7347 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: TT vs USA Nov. 19, 1989.......Full Game
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
I was 3 years old...I going nd take it in...shitt...we eh hv no match no time soon anyway  ;D

I was 10 and can still remember the pain of that game. One of the few times in my life that I broke down and cried.

:(

I cannot ever watch that game again....

Yeah...I eh watching it either..... :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 12:33:55 AM »
1989 Strike Squad visits the Office of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wQgv9WXLZWM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wQgv9WXLZWM</a>

For those who have seen the video good and for those who haven't seen it spend a little time to view; this is a good watch, hear about some of the behind the scene issues from some strike squad members including Clayton who got emotional towards the end of his opinion.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:11:10 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 02:19:05 AM »
Yuh know with unique opportunities like this it wouldn't hurt to hire a professional camera man. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Adam Lake

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 09:06:51 AM »
some people like tuh live in d past yes...

ah get over it.....we already qualified..for WC

why yuh diggin up ants patch .... :yellowcard:

We can qualify for ten more WC but that would not take away from the joy and eventual pain that the 1990 campaign brought to those of us that was right in the middle of it. The highs of tying Honduras on the road just to reach the pentagon. Beating Guatemala on the road and then again at home  with just seconds to go.The eventual lost to the U.S.  and the manner that the team and fans handled the whole thing will forever be with me.

Agreed - don't forget your past, all the trials and pain make the victory the sweeter. One day we'll be talking about T&T's first WC Goal, then their first victory, then their first Group Stage qualification, then who knows...

Thank God for 2006, it Exorcise some a dem Demons a Depression from 89

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »
No Trini will ever forget this,no matter where they are,after the result I felt numb,and I don't think I recovered from it fully for the year to follow.I always hope that something special happens to TT football to make up for this,and Haiti 1973,where are the Gods of football,they should be looking down on us.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
No Trini will ever forget this,no matter where they are,after the result I felt numb,and I don't think I recovered from it fully for the year to follow.I always hope that something special happens to TT football to make up for this,and Haiti 1973,where are the Gods of football,they should be looking down on us.

Breds, we got our payback in 2005, you forget we went Germany. But still I still feel the pain like you. I was really sour when the Italy WC was going on. Thinking, TT should have been there. But faith, karma, whatever decided that it was not our time.  But 2005 when we saw Lawrence header and the ref blew the final whistle. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Look meh barber boi (Dexter Lee)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
Morris says 1989 loss reveals its true purpose.
By Sean Nero (Guardian).

Twenty-six years after this country’s senior men’s football team, then known as the Strike Squad, lost a crucial Fifa World Cup qualifying game to the United States (1-0), on home soil, former captain Clayton Morris admits he has only now found ways to deal with the psychological horror of that result.

In a T&T Guardian interview at Friday’s First Citizens Sports Foundation Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony held at the Hyatt Regency Trinidad, Dock Road, Port-of-Spain, where Morris was recognised as a national sporting hero, he said, for an entire decade he went about his daily life blanketed by the shame of the defeat handed down to him and his teammates by the visitors on November 19, 1989.

So great was that loss, said the former defender, it left the nation scared and he accepted full responsibility for inflicting such hurt and the associated torment onto his countrymen.

Commenting on how he has since grown and declaring that being inducted into the Hall of Fame meant to him, he said: “This honour means a whole lot to me. It made me feel what I did in the past was something great and the organisers of the event saw it fit that it should be recorded in history.

But for me, it is an incentive for me to continue doing the work that I am doing, because a lot of people don’t know, but we make fun of it when November 19, comes around. For everyday I live, I live November 19, 1989. People remind me about that day, but I live that day…every day. For ten years after that day, it has really been a disappointing feeling.”

He continued, “I remember the whistle blew to end the game. I felt like the earth could have opened and taken me. I was laying flat on the ground.

I felt we disappointed the nation.

But ten years after that I have come to realise that something good has come out of it, so I live and pass on what I know. I have made a commitment to go to the unprivileged institutions and pass on the positive experiences from that defeat.

I have to thank God for the opportunity to be able to visit the Prison and share my life experience, not just football and work the inmates who have gave up hope in life.

Thank God for the University of T&T (UTT) where I am the football coach, I use this as part of an outreach programme. I visit the Prison on Thursday and mentor inmates through small goal football.

I also do a similar project in the Beetham Gardens, every other Saturday. As I see it, it’s giving back.”

As painful as the events of 26 years ago are, the ex-skipper was thankful he never had the urge to drown his pains at a rum shop, or turn to marijuana use or engage in any type of substance abuse as a form of comfort. His heeling had been through the outreach programmes which allowed he said allowed him to contribute to the handling of new talent for the sport.

Many years later, Morris believed he found what he was born to do and found himself in places doing what he enjoys and that coaching football and mentoring youths. He was the football coach at the University of T&T (UTT) and prided himself as being a life coach, too.

Following the 1989 result, the former defender never had a desire to take the field under the national colours and endure the stress associated with this level of national representation.

“But, here it is! Its football I am using to show people life. This award really re-energizes everything that I have been doing and now I want to do more. I have found my purpose, the Lord has kept me back so that I can share my experience of football which I was bless with and life in general.

He praised the late Richard Braithwaite for guiding him through that difficult chapter of his sporting career and dedicated the award and induction honour to him.

Receiving a photo from one of his UTT students last Thursday, dressed in graduated kit and brandishing his certificate of academic accomplishment moments after the ceremony brightened Morris’ day. As fate would have it, that day was also the anniversary of the Strike Squad’s defeat (November 19, 1989).

He recalled the student in his message wrote, “Coach! Look! A smiling Morris said, he replied, “I said I am very proud of you. So even if these guys don’t come out top footballers, but educational wise they make themselves better than when I meet them, I am very, very pleased. I coach in these hot spots in Chaguanas and I see some of thos same individuals in the Police service.

That really gives me that incentive and I really feel proud about their achievements. They may not come out a better footballer or make it to the national team, but once they are better citizens of T&T, I’m very happy with that”, he ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>