April 24, 2024, 12:42:57 PM

Author Topic: The PNM Internal Elections Thread  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
The PNM Internal Elections Thread
« on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:34 AM »
To kick things off......

TOO DARK FOR PM?
Hinds: Ex-ministers, businessmen cite Rowley’s skin colour as a concern

By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Dr Keith Rowley’s dark skin was cited as the only ground of “objection” to his leading Trinidad and Tobago as prime minister, former sena­tor Fitzgerald Hinds said on Wednesday night.
Speaking at a People’s National Movement (PNM) meeting at Belmont Secondary School, held in support of the political leader’s can­­di­dacy, Hinds said: “I know this would break your heart but I will tell you this. One day, at about 1.30 p.m., I was walking through the streets of Port of Spain and I spoke to a former minister of government from a PNM cabinet. And he told me something that troubled me deeply, almost broke my heart, and I am a tough man.

“He said to me that he had just come from a meeting with a couple of other former ministers and some businessmen, and they were all ’round the lunch table and agreed that Dr Rowley had done an excellent job as political leader for the PNM for the last three years.... They thought he did a great job. And told me shockingly that the only issue that came up in objection was that we had never had such a dark-skinned prime minister.”

The crowd voiced disapproval of the expressed view.

“These are touchy issues and I need not publicly upset you tonight. But it is real and I would tell you why. Because shocked as I was, I went to a number of my colleagues, inside and outside of the PNM, and asked them if they think like that or if ever heard anything like that. And to the man and woman, everybody said they heard it before,” he said.

As the crowd continued to voice its displea­sure that such a view was held, Hinds converted the issue into one of humour, “And then I realise I could never be a prime minister mehself.”  The crowd laughed at this point.

Slamming the United National Congress (UNC) for seeking to classify Rowley as a racist, Hinds said he heard the “wotless” Attorney General talking about Rowley not having wide appeal.
“Well, he beat them bad in Tobago. The appeal couldn’t be wider. He beat them bad in the local government elections. The appeal couldn’t be wider. And beat them in St Joseph, too. The appeal couldn’t be wider,” Hinds stated.

Hinds said when he used to attack the UNC senators every Tuesday in the Senate, “looking to lick dem down in the interest of the people of this country”, they (UNC mem­bers) would tell him, “Why yuh don’t behave like Penny.” Reminiscent of the “Dollar Wine” soca song, Hinds said: “I don’t want to behave like no Penny; no cent, five cent, ten cent; this thing call for dollar!” The crowd was in uproar. “Jah!” Hinds exclaimed.

He said Jack Warner, Roodal Moo­nilal and Anand Ramlogan were saying Beckles-Robinson was the best person for the PNM leadership. But, he said, one had to be respectful “of our sister”.
“I see my sister like a pretty little angel fish in a shark tank—Ramlogan, Moonilal and Warner. Boy, with friends like that, she don’t need no enemies,” he said. Hinds said among “the small and dwindling” handful of persons opposed to Rowley’s leadership were “those who feel that they had a certain degree of influence in the last administration, which they do not now have, and they are only concerned about themselves”.

He said there were those who “were afraid of victimisation because they know the things they have said and done, and they are judging Dr Rowley by their and other people’s standards so they fear that he would victimise them, too.” But Hinds said when Rowley spoke out about UDeCOTT (Urban Development Corporation), the first minister in the Manning cabinet to attack him was Mariano Browne. Yet, Hinds said, when Rowley became Opposition Leader, the first person who was offered a senatorship was Browne.

“There is another handful of them who just find he too serious. But this country don’t want no joker, no laughy-laughy, smiley-smiley thing. This country calls for serious leadership,” he said.
Hinds said if the general council and the PNM central executive and the deputy political leader came to him and asked him to contest the position of political leader, he would ask two questions: “Is Dr Rowley alive? Is he willing to do the job?” He said if they said yes to both, he would then reply, “Well get away from me!”

“And the reason why I will tell them that is because I in my sober, edu­cated, level-headed manner understand full well that one, the criteria that is required for this big job of leading the PNM and wanting to be the prime minister, he have much more of that than I ever could. So I know objectively that he is the best man for the job. And if I know that he is the best man for the job, for me to still want the job after that, it has to be only wickedness and/or vanity.”
At the meeting, Port of Spain North/St Ann’s West MP Patricia McIntosh stated her constituency endorsed Rowley’s candidacy for the political leadership.
“We have seen the mettle of the man and we have come here to endorse Dr Rowley,” she said.

Ryan: Critics claim he’s a tad too ‘black’

In his column “Peeping Inside the PNM”, in the Sunday Express on Jan­uary 26, political scientist Selwyn Ryan wrote:
“Some of Dr Rowley’s critics claim sotto voce that he is a tad too ‘black’ for a country that is ethnically structured in the way that Trinidad and Tobago is. Trinidad being what it is, however, the view definitely exists both inside and outside the party that a paler face is required if the PNM is going to be regarded as being adequately diversified.’’

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/TOO-DARK-FOR-PM-244137121.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:09:11 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The PNM Internal Elections Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
Majority of Women’s League leaders support Rowley

The majority of officers of the People’s National Movement (PNM) Women’s League on Thursday endorsed the candidacy of Keith Rowley for the position of political leader in the internal elections. The endorsement came at the monthly meeting of the officers of the league.  This was confirmed yesterday by general secretary of the party, Ashford Ford. In response to questions, Ford said he was so informed by Irene Hinds, who is a vice-chairman and who attended the meeting.

He said Hinds confirmed there was a meeting, which started at 6 p.m. at Balisier House on Thursday and that Rowley received the majority of votes cast by the officers.  Sources said Pennelope Beckles-Robinson, who is chairman of the league, informed the meeting she was contesting the position of political leader. It was decided by the officers that they should take a vote on who they supported between Rowley and Beckles-Robinson.

The league has nine officers, but only eight of them were present at the meeting. (The PRO did not attend). Beckles-Robinson vacated the chair as the votes were being taken. It was a split ballot. Out of seven votes cast, Rowley received the endorsement of four officers, Beckles-Robinson was supported by two officers and one person abstained. Sources said Beckles-Robinson had no problems with the decision of the officers to vote on the issue of whom they supported. “We had a very good understanding,” one of the officers stated.

The PNM election is on the basis of a one man-one vote system for the first time. It means the membership of the Women’s League and the membership of the party in general will determine who wins the internal election.   However, there is a view the public impression of support for any candidate has a psychological benefit.

Beckles-Robinson is yet to make a public declaration about her decision to run for the political leadership.
The officers meet on a monthly basis. The Women’s League executive also meets on a monthly basis.
At the last meeting of the Women’s League, Beckles-Robinson hinted that she was contesting, saying the party had never had a woman leader but that change was coming.
Rowley said on Wednesday night he would be fielding an entire slate of candidates. Beckles-Robinson is expected to present a slate of candidates as well.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Majority-of-Womens-League-leaders-support-Rowley-244473101.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 05:17:22 AM »
Penny tells party boss of plan to challenge him
By Anna Ramdass

Pennelope Beckles-Robinson yesterday officially confirmed she will be contesting the post of political leader of the People’s National Movement (PNM).  She said she understands the hurt the people of this country are facing and is ready to work to bring about change and solutions.

Beckles-Robinson, a former PNM senator, met with Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday for about 15 minutes at the Parliament building, International Waterfront Complex, Port of Spain, where she disclosed to him her decision to challenge him in the May 18 PNM internal elections.

Her decision is a historic one as it would be the first time in the PNM’s 58-year history that a woman has taken the step to contest the internal polls and lead the male-dominated oldest political party in the country.  Beckles-Robinson, the PNM’s lady vice chairman, told the Express although there were reports in the media that she had indicated at a PNM meeting in Arima this week that she was going to contest the leadership, she did not want to make a public statement via the media until she spoke to Rowley.
She said this was the respectful thing to do and now that she has met with Rowley, her own campaign will soon kick off.

Questioned on an officers’ meeting at Balisier House on Thursday evening where members moved a vote to endorse Rowley for political leader, Beckles-Robinson said she was not disturbed by this, adding that the party will hold its executive meetings where motions can be officially moved and votes taken.
Asked what led to her decision to throw her hat in the election ring, Beckles-Robinson said her move was fuelled by love for people and country.

“Having served in different capacities within the PNM political party and the PNM government, I recognise that a positive political change is required. We need to have compassionate leaders who understand the different types of hurt within society.  “We need to have leaders who are responsive to this hurt and more importantly leaders who can be pragmatic in creating solutions for our various communities,” she said.
She said the Constitution allows every citizen of this country the right to offer themselves for leadership.
“We need to have individuals in positions of leadership who not only have the necessary governmental and political experience but we need to have leaders who have great connectivity and understanding the challenges of our citizens,” she said.

The PNM, she said, is a 58-year-old party and its institutional strengthening lies within its democratic processes.  She said the modernisation of the party’s voting system through the one-man one-vote augers well for competitive political elections.  Beckles-Robinson said the PNM will only grow from strength to strength if all positions within the party hierarchy are competitively contested.

“As a candidate for the political leadership, I believe it is important that the membership of the party have the opportunity of making choices. Democracy is all about choices and the party members deserve the right to select their political leader under a process of public scrutiny and accountability,” she said.

She said the party membership must have internal debate as to the relationship between the party and the government and the government’s structure required to modernise the PNM.  Beckles said further that in the coming weeks the plans, policies and programmes for the institutional strengthening of the PNM and the redefining of the PNM’s vision of government would be some of the priority areas that would be discussed in her campaign.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Penny-tells-party-boss-of-plan-to-challenge-him-244473011.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:52:34 AM »
Timing is everything. One wonders whether this move is premature.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:59:45 AM »

Explain. You mean by announcing she will challenge Rowley?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
I wish we would leave colorism thing out of the politics. Politics can't resolve that mindset. Let us stick with the issues at hand. Bringing that talk in political meeting defeats the claim of the PNM of being an all inclusive party. Breds your constituency has been having murder upon murder and you bring up that. What is important to TT. Resolving the high murder rate in East POS or talking above an issue which we dealt with in the 70s. There is nothing Rowley can do about his physical appearance. Well he can try a Sammy Sosa. But that still would not resolve the mindset.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
Look doh geh meh vex here today, eh! Fiyah bun any (ANY! ANY! ANY!) ventilation of this absurd mention of the colour of Mr. Rowley's skin ... whether privately or for pernicious purposes in the public domain.

Where to start wid dis penetrable f**kery? I have a strong feeling as to the source, buh dahis fuh another day. Right now, it is particularly important to repel a narrative that, if not addressed, could seep into the political equation in a transcendent manner. Not forever, but with sufficient effect that it narrows the cast of eligible personalities who could assume the mantle ultimately.

This is a narrative that once obtained in other islands. It's also a convenient tool at this time for the PNM's primary opponent.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
I wish we would leave colorism thing out of the politics. Politics can't resolve that mindset. Let us stick with the issues at hand. Bringing that talk in political meeting defeats the claim of the PNM of being an all inclusive party. Breds your constituency has been having murder upon murder and you bring up that. What is important to TT. Resolving the high murder rate in East POS or talking above an issue which we dealt with in the 70s. There is nothing Rowley can do about his physical appearance. Well he can try a Sammy Sosa. But that still would not resolve the mindset.

Disagree. The calculus of mentioning it is designed to prevent it from cementing.

P.S. He doesn't have a constitutency.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:20:28 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
HINDS BOY?

Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Hinds-not-upset-at-Senate-axe-234335961.html
December 3, 2013

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley fired his longtime “pardner” Fitzgerald Hinds in yesterday’s shake-up of the Senate bench, shocking every man jack in the process.

Hinds, a man who had been firmly in Rowley’s corner from the onset, had his appointment revoked, along with the person most likely to run against the political leader in the party’s leadership contest—Pennelope Beckles-Robinson.

They have been replaced by former minister and high commissioner Camille Robinson-Regis, defeated by election candidate 26-year-old Avinash Singh and former TV6 news presenter Diane Baldeo-Chadeesingh.

Robinson-Regis will be the new Leader in the Senate.

Hinds took his dismissal in complete stride.

“It is with great enthusiasm and pleasure that I, given the experience I have, would be willing and happy to give way to new blood coming forward in the PNM as we prepare for government in 2015. I don’t regard this (dismissal) as anything bad or any ‘axe’ (falling on me). I think it is a sensible decision on the part of the leadership that I support fully and I am enthusiastically supporting the decision to make way for young, fresh blood, he told reporters, shortly after the changes were announced.

Hinds added he had learned over the years to respect Rowley’s political judgment.

The Express learnt Rowley had met with Hinds at 10 a.m. on Monday to inform him of his decision to remove him in order to give new people the opportunity to serve the party in the Senate. The Opposition Leader met with Beckles-Robinson at 3.15 p.m. that same afternoon.

Hinds, who has served in Parliament for over 15 years, said he hoped he had exercised his time in the Parliament successfully and effectively for his political party. He said he was impressed with the new faces. Asked whether he would turn up on the party’s slate for the next general election, he said he did not know what the future held.

“I will put my hands on another part of the (PNM) rope and join my colleagues in pulling and saying in unison ‘heave’ because we want to see the UNC on their (derriere) at least by 2015,” he said.

In the appointment of Singh, Rowley has altered a virtual PNM convention of not appointing a defeated candidate to the Upper House and in the same parliamentary term (of the defeat).

The appointment of news reader Baldeo-Chadeesingh was also a surprise and has drawn some criticism from some party members who questioned the low profile she has maintained since joining the party.

Beckles-Robinson is yet to comment on her removal. But she was cheerful as she declined to be interviewed by reporters at the end of the sitting. She later spoke in the Senate and thanked the political leader for appointing her to the Senate. She also thanked the Parliament.

As she entered the chamber, a number of Government senators, such as Leader of Government Business Ganga Singh and Devant Maharaj made their way toward her.

Maharaj had earlier told the media Beckles-Robinson’s firing revealed “dark forces in the PNM were conspiring against a long-standing member”. Maharaj said Beckles-Robinson, who was always cordial, brought a measure of soberness to the “unbridled exuberance” of Faris Al-Rawi and Fitzgerald Hinds. Maharaj, who gave the interview before it was disclosed it was also going to be Hinds’s last day in the Senate, said Hinds and Al-Rawi were being “foisted” on the country.

As the sitting began and question-time came, the Government members heckled Hinds and Al-Rawi, as they sought to ask supplemental questions. “That’s the leadership race taking place,” Maharaj said, as Hinds asked whether the Government was sending the issue of the $6.8 firetruck controversy to the police or the Integrity Commission in the light of the minister’s admission no procurement procedure was followed.

“You laugh. That is taxpayers’ money involved,” Hinds shot back. Undaunted, even on his last day, Hinds asked: “Is the minister prepared to accept that the Cabinet was reckless at best and complicitous at worst in supporting this transaction?”

When it was known that Hinds was leaving the Senate, the picong changed. The Attorney General explored the ethnic angle, saying: “Hinds boy, dey sacrificing you for the Indian vote.” When Hinds persisted with more supplemental, Ramlogan taunted: “That is why they moving yuh.” Hinds rejoined: “I have no Range Rover.”

Heckling aside, Government members became more indulgent toward Hinds. As the hour for question-time came to a close, the Senate waived of the standing orders to extend it so that Hinds could complete a supplemental question. “We will accommodate Senator Hinds on his last hurrah,” Ganga Singh said. But when Al-Rawi proceeded to ask another supplemental, Singh stopped him. “You will be here next week.” “He will be joined by Ras Nancoo­singh,” Ramlogan joked.

Later Al-Rawi said the People’s Partnership, which has changed 12 senators since May 2010, was hardly in a position to talk about the PNM senate changes. He said all PNM senators were there at the leader’s discretion and they were pleased to work with the PNM in any capacity they could.

“The fact is that the Senate is a place that allows you to grow talent and Mrs Beckles-Robinson is easily someone who could easily go right now and win a seat,” he said. He said it was within the political leader’s discretion to review the position of each senator to decide whether he wanted to grow more people. “It is really about the 2015 race... We enjoy our work here in the Senate. But the political party’s growth is more important for all of us and winning the next election, so if any of us is removed, it is with a purpose,” he said.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:33:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »

Explain. You mean by announcing she will challenge Rowley?

I recognize Rowley's "vulnerables", but I don't sense that he's presently over-exposed. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
I have heard the "too dark" comment long before this article.......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
For those more in-tune with the politics back home, what is Pennelope claim to fame? What kind of leadership qualities has she exhibited in the past? I ask because from my outsider point of view this is how it looks to me:

After the last cutarse the PNM get, Rowley was the man to step up and do the donkey wok of holding the party together, moving it forward while bearing all the lashes and picong from the media/PP/public. Now that the PNM has picked up itself, won some elections and looks like it has a very realistic chance  of beating the PP in the next general election, people moving to freeze him. However, if he exhibited the skill and leadership to move the party on after that last blow out, why not give him the chance for the big job? It's like Manning after NAR hand them the 33-3. So what exactly is Pennelope's profile? HOw mich has she been involved in rebuilding the PNM after the last loss? Is she really an established leader with a track record or is she an opportunist who was biding her time?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 09:24:46 PM by grimm01 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
For those more in-tune with the politics back home, what is Pennelope claim to fame? What kind of leadership qualities has she exhibited in the past? I ask because from my outsider point of view this is how it looks to me:

After the last cutarse the PNM get, Rowley was the man to step up and do the donkey wok of holding the party together, moving it forward while bearing all the lashes and picong from the media/PP/public. Now that the PNM has picked up itself, won some elections and looks like it has a very realistic chance  of beating the PP in the next general election, people moving to freeze him. However, if he exhibited the skill and leadership to move the party on after that last blow out, why not give him the chance for the big job? It's like Manning after NAR hand them the 33-3. So what exactly is Pennelope's profile? Is she really an established leader or is she an opportunist who was biding her time?

seems to be a nice person, but she seems weak or at the very least unassertive........dropped the ball a couple times in d senate on critical issues aswell
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »

After the last cutarse the PNM get, Rowley was the man to step up and do the donkey wok of holding the party together, moving it forward while bearing all the lashes and picong from the media/PP/public. Now that the PNM has picked up itself, won some elections and looks like it has a very realistic chance  of beating the PP in the next general election, people moving to freeze him. However, if he exhibited the skill and leadership to move the party on after that last blow out, why not give him the chance for the big job? It's like Manning after NAR hand them the 33-3. So what exactly is Pennelope's profile? Is she really an established leader or is she an opportunist who was biding her time?

seems to be a nice person, but she seems weak or at the very least unassertive........dropped the ball a couple times in d senate on critical issues aswell

Penny take d chain up woman v woman. Another opportunity provided 2 show that Patos was a wise man 2 show her d door. Sheneed2 read Ecclesiastes thereis a time 4 everything. Now eh d time 2 divide d party.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »

After the last cutarse the PNM get, Rowley was the man to step up and do the donkey wok of holding the party together, moving it forward while bearing all the lashes and picong from the media/PP/public. Now that the PNM has picked up itself, won some elections and looks like it has a very realistic chance  of beating the PP in the next general election, people moving to freeze him. However, if he exhibited the skill and leadership to move the party on after that last blow out, why not give him the chance for the big job? It's like Manning after NAR hand them the 33-3. So what exactly is Pennelope's profile? HOw mich has she been involved in rebuilding the PNM after the last loss? Is she really an established leader with a track record or is she an opportunist who was biding her time?

Boy, I asking people these same questions and up to now.......*crickets*

I readily admit I didn't ask those same questions of Kamla and look where it get mih.   Once bitten, twice shy papa.....I eh going through that again nah.  Perhaps during the campaign we will get to hear and see more of her.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »

Penny take d chain up woman v woman. Another opportunity provided 2 show that Patos was a wise man 2 show her d door. Sheneed2 read Ecclesiastes thereis a time 4 everything. Now eh d time 2 divide d party.

Precisely.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:55:23 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »

Boy, I asking people these same questions and up to now.......*crickets*

I readily admit I didn't ask those same questions of Kamla and look where it get mih.   Once bitten, twice shy papa.....I eh going through that again nah.  Perhaps during the campaign we will get to hear and see more of her.....

This is d lady who talk bout Mr. Bissear pipe/who give we education 4 all and abolish corporal punishment and eh give an alternative, What else u needed 2 know?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
What better way to validate the political leader by allowing the process he put in place to confirm his leadership?

I credit Mrs Beckles-Robinson in offering up herself, someone with some popularity within the membership to demonstrate the process of one man one vote. What people fail to realize is that this is actually a strengthening tool, the PNM gets to demonstrate to those unaligned general electoral voters that the party is capable of conducting itself properly in a fair and transparent voting process

What is divisive is how the candidates choose to run their campaign. People like Hinds who want to start to mudsling rather than focus on what his candidate of choice can offer in addition to what has already been demonstrated.

Both Rowley and Beckles-Robinson come with some political stock, one can argue one more than the other but if the PNM is to form the next government it would be incumbent on both candidates to ensure that no matter what the outcome, they both have a part of play in taking the country forward.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
What better way to validate the political leader by allowing the process he put in place to confirm his leadership?

I credit Mrs Beckles-Robinson in offering up herself, someone with some popularity within the membership to demonstrate the process of one man one vote. What people fail to realize is that this is actually a strengthening tool, the PNM gets to demonstrate to those unaligned general electoral voters that the party is capable of conducting itself properly in a fair and transparent voting process

What is divisive is how the candidates choose to run their campaign. People like Hinds who want to start to mudsling rather than focus on what his candidate of choice can offer in addition to what has already been demonstrated.

Both Rowley and Beckles-Robinson come with some political stock, one can argue one more than the other but if the PNM is to form the next government it would be incumbent on both candidates to ensure that no matter what the outcome, they both have a part of play in taking the country forward.

1. When was this ever in doubt?

2. Where's the mud?

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »

2. Where's the mud?

This electoral process is net new for the PNM, we have seen the kind of behaviour in attempting to appeal to a political base has created from other parties. There is doubt only because it has never happend before.

I listened to Fitzgerald Hinds in a meeting and in my opinion he started to go down a road that i wouldn't, using the dollar wine song as a catch phrase in an attempt to belittle. I would leave that off the platform, the elections are 3 months down the road and the focus should be what the candidate can offer.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

2. Where's the mud?

This electoral process is net new for the PNM, we have seen the kind of behaviour in attempting to appeal to a political base has created from other parties. There is doubt only because it has never happend before.

I listened to Fitzgerald Hinds in a meeting and in my opinion he started to go down a road that i wouldn't, using the dollar wine song as a catch phrase in an attempt to belittle. I would leave that off the platform, the elections are 3 months down the road and the focus should be what the candidate can offer.

That's not mud. It's also very tame for a political platform. And, it's par for the course in a society with a rich tradition of picong and interlacing of cultural references on political platforms.

Also, the novelty of the process does not automatically or inherently create a lack of transparency. You have to state a stronger case to cement the case that one member one vote potentially lacks integrity guarantees.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:57:08 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »

2. Where's the mud?

That's not mud. It's also very tame for a political platform. And, it's par for the course in a society with a rich tradition of picong and interlacing of cultural references on political platforms.

Also, the novelty of the process does not automatically or inherently create a lack of transparency. You have to state a stronger case to cement the case that one member one vote potentially lacks integrity guarantees.

Some of our very rich traditions are the reason why aspects of our society are failing.

I never stated that the one member one vote automatically or inherently creates anything. I am simply stating that it never happened before so its an opportunity to demonstrate that the party can do what is required to ensure that there is integrity in the process for the rest of the national electorate to observe. To some non-aligned, the ability to demonstrate the process factors more than the actual outcome.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:40:51 PM by g »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
... so if a kaisonian could address the issue on the Big Stage, why not a politician?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »

Both Rowley and Beckles-Robinson come with some political stock, Nonsense one can argue one more than the other but if the PNM is to form the next government it would be incumbent on both candidates to ensure that no matter what the outcome, they both have a part of play in taking the country forward.
One of the things Manning did well just before he left office was to have an evaluation of all his Ministers. The one who scored the lowest and came in as least trustworthy and competent was Penelope and she was cast aside by Manning. It was Rowley who brought her back into the fold so for her to think that she is capable of leading the country is by far a stretch of her idle imagination.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
One of the things Manning did well just before he left office was to have an evaluation of all his Ministers.

I remember that. It was done be some 'reputable" polling company. As far as I was concerned, it was a wizard(witch) hunt. He wanted to get rid of Rowley and all those who was in Rowley's corner.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 06:38:28 AM »
Penny meets PNM election unit today

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-04-23/penny-meets-pnm-election-unit-today

Place all 7,000 PNMites to the voting list! That’s the negotiating position of supporters of PNM leadership challenger Pennelope Beckles-Robinson who is expected to meet today with PNM’s election commission to discuss the 7,000 applicants rejected from the preliminary voting list for PNM’s May 18 internal poll. The position of the Beckles-Robinson’s team was outlined yesterday by supporter Dr Bhose Sharma. 

Last week, the Beckles-Robinson team said out of its 8,000 registrations, about 7,000 were being rejected following complaints of irregularities. PNM general secretary Ashton Ford, who is contesting a post on the team of incumbent leader Dr Keith Rowley, had detailed some irregularities. The 7,000 were left out of the preliminary list sanctioned by PNM’s general council last  week. 

Commission vice chairman Murchison Browne subsequently stated the preliminary list was 79,363 and voters had until tomorrow  to iron out flaws and errors before a final list is done on April 30. But the Beckles-Robinson team said it was insufficient time to deal with all applicants and appealed to the commission to consider the situation.

Browne at the time had said there was no complaint before the commission. Marva Bellamy-Bostic of the challenging’s team, says she wrote the commission since March 31 seeking clarification on various aspects of the election and received reply from an official. Attorney Roger Boynes, of the challenger’s team, also wrote the commission a few days ago on the specific issue of rejection of voting applicants. It was subsequently agreed for the commission to meet the Beckles-Robinson team to look over the rejection issue.

Balisier House’s secretariat said commission chairman Charles Mitchell wasn’t in T&T. Browne didn’t answer calls. Sharma said the commission seemed to accept that some errors had been made. He, however, said the challenging team is sticking to its request that all 7,000 rejected applicants be reinstated on the final list. 

He added: “If corrections need to be made, the team should allow people to come in and correct them. After all the fumbling that has transpired, this will be our final attempt to have faith in the commission and if improperly resolved, it will only lead people to believe that mishandling of the situation by those in charge will result in the possibility that the incumbent will win.”

Sharma said a PNM representative from Diego Martin West said on a radio station yesterday that they had sent in forms with errors and they had been called in to fix the errors. He added, “But we weren’t given the opportunity to fix the issues where rejected applicants were concerned. If one was elected to lead on the basis of such questionable situation, you cannot put yourself up for prime minister of a country,” he added.

Sharma added, “We’ll also be calling on the commission to fully take charge of running the election and to instruct the incumbent officers to stand down from running the party election or party affairs as they’re doing now. This is an aspect the incumbent executive clearly didn’t think out when instituting the one-man-one-vote idea and it doesn’t mesh with democratic systems.”

“The commission should run the election fully and appoint an interim team to run the party while those incumbent officers contesting posts should go about campaigning and remove themselves from party and poll affairs. The commission should particularly appoint a spokesman for the election and not allow Ashton Ford to continue talking for them or the party. That doesn’t lend itself to preception of a fair, unbiased situation.”

He accused a PNM official of cancelling some applications—sent via forms—deeming them to be Beckles-Robinson supporters. Alleging the incumbent team was manipulating the process to win and tainting the perception of the commission’s image  Sharma said Beckles- Robinson had spoken out about rejection of the voters in last week’s general council and several of her supporters there had abstained from voting on the issue since they realised they would be outvoted.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:46:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »
PNM facing internal election challenges

As the battle for the PNM internal elections continues to produce more heat, the latest squabble between Franklin Khan and Danny Montano provides the evidence of it also breaking new PNM ground. Though the party has been steeped in the tradition of not washing its dirty linen in public, what has emerged now is an all-out brawl. The two contestants for the office of chairman of the party have gone into a bitter verbal battle, with questions being raised about party loyalty and committing party treason.

The fact that the incumbent chairman, Mr Khan, has said he is seriously considering writing to the new general secretary after the election to bring Mr Montano before a disciplinary committee for statements he made about Dr Keith Rowley on the campaign trail is proof that the culture of the PNM has changed.

As a party that has been accustomed to anointing its leaders over the years, the method of holding public meetings that are televised and recorded by the media is a new process. It is inevitable that criticisms will fly left, right and centre in the heat of electoral battle.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/editorial/2014-05-03/pnm-facing-internal-election-challenges

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
One of the things Manning did well just before he left office was to have an evaluation of all his Ministers.

I remember that. It was done be some 'reputable" polling company. As far as I was concerned, it was a wizard(witch) hunt. He wanted to get rid of Rowley and all those who was in Rowley's corner.

He had already gotten rid of Rowley as he was no longer in his cabinet. It was Mori and they were doing work all over the Public Service to ascertain effectiveness so it was no dictatorship action. All yuh have a full fledge dictator now.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
Anybody knows what is Penny's pronouncement on......uuuummmm.....anything??  I'm not hearing her at all.  Is like Rowley in de race by he self....... :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:35 AM »
Is there something tangible that's presently detracting from Rowley's candidacy?

1]; } ?>