April 29, 2024, 03:20:42 AM

Author Topic: Kirk Edwards’ sending home - an abuse of his rights. Draconian abuse of power?  (Read 2324 times)

socafighter

WIPA Official statement on Kirk Edwards' dismissal
Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Kirk Edwards’ sending home - an abuse of his rights. Draconian abuse of power?

Port-of-Spain, TRINIDAD, February 2nd 2014.

The West Indies Players Association (WIPA) has expressed shock and disbelief following today’s expulsion of West Indies batsman Kirk Edwards from the Barbados team which is taking part in the Nagico Super50, the West Indies Cricket Board’s regional one-day competition.

President & CEO of WIPA, Wavell Hinds, who, along WIPA Director Michael Hall, held late night discussions with the player and Barbados’ team manager Hartley Reid about the issue which eventually led to his being sent home was shocked at the eventual outcome.

“After Kirk made us (myself and Michael) aware that he had been threatened with expulsion from the team, and of the issue which had given rise to the threat, I immediately contacted Mr. Reid and asked if he would be good enough to meet with us and Kirk at the team hotel right after the WIPA AGM which was being held nearby and he agreed,” said Hinds. “We were firmly of the view that what Kirk had advised us of as being the issue was a matter which could be easily resolved through sensible and well-intentioned dialogue, and certainly nothing, not even in our wildest dreams, which might warrant the drastic and draconian abuse of power by the team’s manager. Kirk Edwards has been sent home – but Hartley Reid is still there – the sponsors must be overjoyed.”

WIPA understands that the matter arose in relation to the issue of match kit to Mr. Edwards by the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) ahead of the tournament. We are advised that when a player is provided with these items by the BCA, they are asked to sign a document agreeing that the two match shirts and two match trousers must serve them for two years, and that the player will stand the cost of replacement in the event of any damage to or loss of these items within those two years.

Mr. Edwards advised us that he did not sign the document ahead of the 2012 and 2013 seasons because in previous years the kit barely lasted two months before getting to a stage of being unfit for use. Prior to his departure with the team, he was asked again by the BCA to sign the document in order to receive his kit, and he again did not do so. As a consequence he travelled to Trinidad without any official team kit.

On the evening of Thursday January 30th, Mr. Kenroy Williams (Mr. Edwards’ roommate) went to the manager’s room to collect his training kit and meal allowance. While there, the manager told Mr. Williams to also sign for and receive Mr. Edwards’ training kit and meal allowance – without Mr. Edwards’ consent.

On Saturday, February 1st, the manager advised Mr. Edwards that he had been instructed by the BCA to tell him that if he did not sign the document pertaining to the match kit he would be sent home, and that is when WIPA became aware of the matter.

During the course of our discussions with Mr. Reid, he advised us that the document which the BCA was insisting that Mr. Edwards sign or be sent home had in fact been superseded by an official player handbook (produced by the same BCA) which stated that a player would be entitled to four (4) sets of match kit for a one (1) year period. It is WIPA’s view that the document was thus rendered irrelevant, and we also believe that this is the only logical conclusion to come to about it. Mr. Reid unfortunately did not share this view and insisted that he was following orders from the BCA, and that if the other squad members had signed it then so should Mr. Edwards.

In an effort to reach a compromise solution, and with Mr. Edwards’ consent, WIPA offered to sign the document on his behalf and to accept responsibility for any costs to replace the kit for any reason whatsoever. To our complete surprise Mr. Reid told us in no uncertain terms that Mr. Edwards did not have the right give WIPA the authority to do so, demonstrating clearly a total lack of understanding of one the basic rights of all persons, and also contradicting his own actions of the previous Thursday evening when he gave a third party the right to sign on Mr. Edwards’ behalf – without his consent. It is instructive to note that the Barbados coach Mr. Henderson Springer, who was also present during the discussions was highly supportive of the offer from WIPA as the best way to resolve the issue.

“Throughout the discussions Mr. Reid remained totally inflexible and at no time did he try to find a solution to what we still say is a non-issue,” Hinds said. “WIPA is extremely disappointed with Mr. Reid’s attitude. At the end of the day, an unnecessary blot has been placed on the career of a dedicated and talented West Indian cricketer, all because those entrusted with leadership roles in our game appear not to have the requisite skills to execute the job.”

This decision is as puzzling as Mr. Edwards’ mysterious removal as captain of the Barbados team – following a successful and winning stint in that role in 2013, high praise for his leadership of the West Indies A team from head coach Junior Bennett, and clear recognition of his leadership potential by the WICB who had previously named him vice-captain of the senior team. It may or may not be a coincidence that Mr. Reid’s manager’s report from the 2013 season was delayed almost a year and submitted to the BCA just ahead of its decision on who would be captain in 2014. WIPA understands that Mr. Edwards was nominated for the captaincy by the BCA appointed Selection Committee, and that his nomination was rejected following the receipt of Mr. Reid’s 2013 season report

WIPA will be seeking legal advice on the matter on behalf of Mr. Edwards.

WIPA's FB page

socafighter

KIRK EDWARDS speaks about BCA

Dropped but far from daunted!

That was the situation with former Barbados cricket captain Kirk Edwards today
as he responded to being expelled from the national squad in Trinidad and Tobago by
turning up in the nets at Kensington Oval and practising for more than two hours.
Edwards was kicked off the squad by the team management after reportedly refusing to
sign for uniforms which he considered of sub-standard quality.

In an exclusive interview with Barbados TODAY this morning Edwards spoke of his
current troubles as well as the personality he possesses that apparently has rubbed some in
officialdom the wrong way. This personality has been described by some as “too strong”
but Edwards was of the opinion that a strong personality did not equate to indiscipline.

Defending himself, the 29-year-old described the present contention with
the Barbados Cricket Association board as “nonsense” and stated that his strong
personality did not reflect poor captaincy skills or indisciplined behaviour.

“I was never made aware that I have any behavioural problems. I just had a good
report from the ‘A’ team, specifically the West Indies Cricket Board President and
they all get good feedback on me and nobody ever said to me: ‘Well Kirk, we have a
problem with your behaviour or whats not’. So it came over to me like a shock at first.

But I’ve been through many things like this . . . so I said to myself things do happen, so get
over it and move on,” he stated. The tall, well-built St Peter resident said that any individual
who exudes mental strength or strong leadership qualities should not be viewed negatively.
He added that possessing such a personality should not be the precursor to unwarranted confrontation
or condemnation.

“I think that is every man’s aim. Even if they are not strong enough at the moment,
they would look to get stronger whether they go to read some books or see a psychologist.
The mind controls the body. I am an athlete and the way I see it if I don’t strengthen
my mind then I would carry a weak body. I would never be able to come out here and
represent [the public] in the way that you think you should be represented. I never had
a bad report yet . . . I never hear that word indiscipline associated with me yet . . .hence
the reason why I became a leader. If I was indisciplined they would never let me lead,”
Edwards stressed.

The talented right-arm batsman said that over the past few years he had noticed the
unofficial requisite of having strong mental capacity – the type that served greats like
Sir Frank Worrell, Clive Lloyd and Sir Viv Richards well in their years – suddenly being
replaced by almost slavish subservience.

“Things that I grow up hearing were the right things to do, suddenly become the
wrong things now and the wrong things become the right things, so I am confused.
I am old school in terms of discipline and. . .how things should function. There is always
going to be a right and a wrong way for things to function but cricket doesn’t change
much – it is the same cricket . . . . like me recognizing that, a lot of people should
recognize that as well. A strong leader in that time and a strong leader now (is the same)
strong leader which is required in [the future].

“That is how I see it, it is all about strong leadership. The reason for leading is that you
have to have the ability to stand up to [and for] your players, to help them on the right
path and to go down a line that is successful for everybody. If you aren’t, then you can’t
make that happen, that is why then you won’t be a good leader. So I am proud of how I go
about my business,” he stated.

Reaffirming his commitment to Barbados’ cricket, Edwards said he did not feel defeated
by his expulsion. Rather everyday he still planned to go out, train hard and be prepared
for the time when he is again called upon, to represent his country with 150
per cent effort.

The former West Indies vice-captain said: “Every day, trust me, whatever dream
I had at 11 or 12 it is just a bigger dream now. Everyday, whatever I could do to add
towards me getting closer to that dream, that is what I’m about, that is how I go about my
business. I want to be better at what I do, I’m never going to relax and say I am good
enough – no I am not, I got to get better all the time. That is the reason for me coming
out and putting in my work.

“This is my job . . . this is one of the things I look forward to yearly – to represent
Barbados. I don’t think that the ignorance on the guys part will stop me from doing what I
have to do. I have to keep preparing. I am a professional, so I have to prepare for anything
that could possibly be around the corner. That isn’t going to stop me.

“A champion is never defeated. I consider myself a champion and if something happens
today, you got to get back on your bike and ride again. It is not about sitting down and
feeling sorry for yourself or bingeing over things that you can’t really take back. You have to
think about the next thing all the time – that is how I see it. I’m very grateful for the
support I have been getting from the people . . . and I’m very excited to get back out there
and represent them properly,” he vowed.

kimberleycummins@barbadostoday

Offline jeenyus

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
If Edwards wasn't there bowling to Lara in the nets, he would have still been an unknown up to today

socafighter

If Edwards wasn't there bowling to Lara in the nets, he would have still been an unknown up to today

You are aware that this one is Kirk Edwards

The one who bowled to Lara , his name is Fidel Edwards

Offline jeenyus

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Sir, I'm speaking of the Barbadian Player

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

One for Davyjenny award so early in the year
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Allyuh was dey when Kirk was bowling Lara in the nets?  :)

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

socafighter

Kirk Edwards is still eligible for selection on the West Indies team.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 10:49:25 AM »
Kirk Edwards is still eligible for selection on the West Indies team.

Bridgetown, Barbados, February 7 - (www.bcacricket.org) -

Despite missing the current regional NAGICO Super50 tournament in Trinidad & Tobago because he repeatedly refused to sign for the team's Match kit and was sent home, top Barbados batsman and former captain Kirk Edwards is still eligible for selection on the West Indies team.

This was confirmed today by West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Whycliffe "Dave" Cameron, who also noted that Edwards, a current Test and One-Day International player, who skippered the West Indies 'A' team last year, was among contenders for the captaincy of the West Indies Test team.

In an exclusive telephone interview from his native Jamaica with BCAcricket.org, Cameron, however, stressed that the sending home of the 29-year-old Edwards last Sunday as Barbados were preparing for their opening Day/Night match against Trinidad & Tobago which they won by 28 runs at Queen's Park Oval, was of concern to the WICB.

Under a WICB rule which has been in place for over three decades, players must take part in regional competitions to be eligible for selection to the West Indies team, barring "injury, illness or exceptional circumstances".

The rule has, however, been relaxed in recent years with the advent of the Indian Premier League and other Twenty20 tournaments around the world.

Apart from two T20 matches and one ODI against Ireland in Jamaica this month, West Indies will also play England in three ODIs (in Antigua) and three Twenty20 Internationals (in Barbados) between February and March.

"Kirk is eligible for selection on the West Indies team unless the Barbados Cricket Association decides they are going to sanction him since he made himself available for the NAGICO tournament," Cameron said.

"He was sent home from Trinidad for disciplinary reasons and it concerns the WICB greatly because Kirk is seen as one of the potential captains of the senior West Indies team. After all, he was recently the captain of the 'A' team."

Edwards, who has put his disciplinary case to the West Indies Players Association (WIPA), was to meet with top officials of the BCA Board of Management yesterday but that meeting has been put back until next week.

"Clearly it is a BCA and WIPA matter but we are hoping it is quickly and properly settled," Cameron told BCAcricket.org.

"When Kirk was removed as captain of the Barbados team last month, I contacted the BCA president Joel Garner and he advised that the BCA Board had made a decision."

Cameron also said that the WICB will be holding a debriefing meeting in Trinidad on February 14 "with the team's management and people involved in cricket".

"We will have the coach, captains of the last Test and ODI teams, the Director of cricket, the Chief Executive Officer, the Chairman of the Cricket committee and some other invited persons who shall remain nameless at this time," Cameron said.

A former West Indies Test vice-captain, Edwards was the Barbados first-class and limited overs skipper for the 2012 and 2013 regional competitions, leading the island to the four-day title last year.

He was replaced as the Barbados captain by batting all-rounder Kevin Stoute for the NAGICO Super50, while Test opener Kraigg Brathwaite will lead the side in the first-class championship, which starts February 28.

He made his debut for West Indies in 2011 and has played 12 Tests, scoring 821 runs including two centuries at an average of 35.69, as well as 11 ODIs with 300 runs with one century (ave: 33.33).

socafighter

BRIDGETOWN Edwards yet to have his say
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:38 AM »

Edwards yet to have his say
Published: Guardian
Wednesday, February 12, 2014

BRIDGETOWN—
A meeting to discuss a dispute between former Barbados cricket captain Kirk Edwards and the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA), did not come off as planned, media reports from Bridgetown have indicated. The meeting, involving an adhoc committee of the BCA led by president Joel Garner and including Edwards’ attorney Donna Symmonds, was scheduled for the Kensington Oval Monday night. However Barbados TODAY has reported that Edwards, a West Indies Test and One-Day player, waited in vain for two hours and still no meeting took place.

“The BCA president [Garner] was at the meeting and other members of the BCA, as well as attorney-at-law Pat Cheltenham,” Barbados TODAY, quoted a BCA source as saying.
“But Kirk and his lawyer were made to wait outside the room and he never got the chance to speak to anyone in the BCA. No one invited him into the room where the meeting was held”.Edwards was expelled from the Barbados team on the eve of the NAGICO Super50 tournament, underway in T&T, for refusing to sign for match kits which he said were substandard. West Indies Players Association (WIPA) president

Wavell Hinds has criticised Barbados team manager Hartley Reid for his handling of the dispute. BCA officials who held their own meeting at Kensington Oval Monday while Edwards waited to meet with them have declined to comment on the issue. Edwards had said that he never had any disciplinary problems and last week WICB president Dave Cameron praised his leadership of the West Indies “A” team.

1]; } ?>