March 28, 2024, 05:15:48 PM

Author Topic: Tobago News.  (Read 23325 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Tobago gets billionaire visit
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 08:17:57 AM »
Glad that everyone is seeing how Jumbie thinks.
So far no one who is logical has supported his view of Tobago people aka "African" people.

and you said.. "I personally know of Afro-Trinis who received shabby treatment in Tobago simply because they were not viewed by the locals as having loads of money to spend."

so you're saying the people of Tobago are?

my experience is MINES! spin how ever you want.

What I was pointing out is that it has nothing to do with race my friend but I guess that clear point went above your biased head?
Tobago's economy is based on tourism so those who look like they have loads of money to spend regardless of race will automatically get more attention. Its the same in Barbados and most other tourist based economies in the Caribbean.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:26:01 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

What I was pointing out is that it has nothing to do with race my friend but I guess that clear point went above your biased head?
Tobago's economy is based on tourism so those who looks like they have loads of money to spend will automatically get more attention. Its the same in Barbados and most other tourist based economic islands in the Caribbean.

Let's stick to $$ for a second. How does one (Tobago for example) know how much money I have? I assure you, it's has nothing to do with how I dress, what I drive or how I carry about myself. What does it leave? Hmm my biased head.. so easy for you to pretend to know.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »

Tobago's economy is based on tourism so those who looks like they have loads of money to spend will automatically get more attention. Its the same in Barbados and most other tourist based economic islands in the Caribbean.

Let's stick to $$ for a second. How does one (Tobago for example) know how much money I have? I assure you, it's has nothing to do with how I dress, what I drive or how I carry about myself. What does it leave? Hmm my biased head.. so easy for you to pretend to know.

People are people.
The point I am making is that treatment in tourist based economies are not based on race but on how much money people look like they have to spend. I have experienced the same myself.
Your racial look at most things is clearly clouding your judgement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:54:25 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »

People are people.
The point I am making is that treatment in tourist based economies are not based on race but on how much money people look like they have to spend. I have experienced the same myself.

Please explain? (providing you can)

Edit: My family own a cocoa and coffee estate in Tobago so we're there very often (not a one time thing unfortunately).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:41:30 AM by Jumbie »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »

People are people.

Please explain? (providing you can)

Edit: My family own a cocoa and coffee estate in Tobago so we're there very often (not a one time thing unfortunately).

I told you from the beginning that I personally know Afro-Trinis who got similar treatment like yourself in Tobago. If that does not make it clear that it has nothing to do with race then your are truly brainwashed in a racial thinking manner.

You seem to be extrapolating your one off experience to all folks in Tobago. There are racist people everywhere, I believe there are way more racist people in Trinidad than in Tobago based on population. Tobagonians are generally no more racist than Trinidadians are.

Here is a nice calypso for Jumbie to help him uncloud his biased thinking.

Penguin - People Is People (1983)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HTkhCbsTtyQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HTkhCbsTtyQ</a>
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:48:09 AM by Socapro »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »
I see you can't. No real surprise there.  :rotfl:

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
It 's clear that this is a painful subject for some, but it's reality for others. I won't press it as it will result in further childish name calling and others branding me racist (which is the norm here). Rather than see this as  a problem which  needs addressing. We talk about "Tourism" and we can't even get it right with local tourism.. forget the foreign market at this point.

And I'm the brainwashed idiot.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 08:56:39 AM »
I see you can't. No real surprise there.  :rotfl:

I explained it by telling you that people is people and to stop extrapolating a one off experience to everyone.
Any intelligent person can work that out for themselves so its a pity I have to pull you up for exptrapolating.
That is exactly how racist people think.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
It 's clear that this is a painful subject for some, but it's reality for others. I won't press it as it will result in further childish name calling and others branding me racist (which is the norm here). Rather than see this as  a problem which  needs addressing. We talk about "Tourism" and we can't even get it right with local tourism.. forget the foreign market at this point.

And I'm the brainwashed idiot.

No one is branding you racist. We are simply describing what you are implying.
If that points to you sounding racist then you need to look in the mirror.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:00:44 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
Forumites, we should not discount jumbie's account of his personal experience in Tobago. It is his experience. I have not been to Tobago in about 10 yrs. But in the early 70s, I spent memorable "august holidays" around Bacolet. That beach was mines. The people were nice. Yes they spoke different from Trinis.

But I remember some Tobagonian having a disdain for Trinis who came there with an attitude. I remember me and some PTSC buddies went there for a week, and we left Pigeon Point beach and was rushing to catch the bus back to Scarborough. The driver told us we had to get the sand of our feet. The Tobagonian in our group told the driver "Aye, we working PTSC". The driver put the bus in gear and left us standing right there.

We had to walk. On our we sat by the side of the road and again our Tobago member was trying to hitch a ride in a bare back state. A car was coming and it slow down and stopped. The driver, a proper and well driven man came a berated the group for " ole nigger behavior ". And promptly DEMANDED that our Tobago group member put back on his shirt. And in departing he advised us, when coming to Tobago, we should leave our Trinidadian attitude when the boat past Toco.

By the way, remember the bus driver who left us stranded? Well, made his trip and met us again. "Allyuh clean now, come in"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:13:26 AM by Deeks »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
Forumites, we should not discount jumbie's account of his personal experience in Tobago. It is his experience. I have not been to Tobago in about 10 yrs. But in the early 70s, I spent memorable "august holidays" around Bacolet. That beach was mines. The people were nice. Yes they spoke different from Trinis.

But I remember some Tobagonian have a disdain for Trinis who came there with an attitude. I remember me and some PTSC buddies went there for a week and we left Pigeon Point beach and was rushing to catch the bus back to Scarborough. The driver told we had to get the sand of our feet. The Tobagonians in the group told the driver "Aye, we working PTSC". The driver put the bus in gear and left us standing right there".

We had to walk. On our we sat by the side of the road and again our Tobago member was trying to hitch a ride in a bare back state. A car was coming and it slow down and stopped. The driver, a proper and well driven man came a berated the group for " ole nigger behavior ". And promptly DEMANDED that our Tobago group member put back on his shirt. And in departing he advised us, when coming to Tobago, we should leave our Trinidadian attitude when the boat past Toco.

By the way, remember the bus driver who left us stranded? Well, made his trip and met us again. "Allyuh clean now, come in"

Nice story which seems to have more to do with Tobagonians having a bias against Trinidadians and even fellow Tobagonians with a bad attitude rather than having anything to do with nationality or one's race.

What I have observed over the years is that since Tobagonians have recognised that they have been earning a larger and larger share of their tourists dollars from visting Trinidadians is that their attitude towards visiting Trinidadians have generally improved a whole lot.

It is now at a stage where I generally find Tobagonians to be much friendlier than Trinidadians as someone who is a born Trinidadian. In fact Trinidadians can learn a lot from Tobagonians at this point about being more patriotic and protective towards our island.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:38:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »

But I remember some Tobagonian having a disdain for Trinis who came there with an attitude. I remember me and some PTSC buddies went there for a week, and we left Pigeon Point beach and was rushing to catch the bus back to Scarborough. The driver told us we had to get the sand of our feet. The Tobagonian in our group told the driver "Aye, we working PTSC". The driver put the bus in gear and left us standing right there.

This was Jumbie's first comment. Seem as if he was expressing more than just a personal experience to me

first Indian (looking) to get good treatment in Bago. $$ talks!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »

This was Jumbie's first comment. Seem as if he was expressing more than just a personal experience to me

As I said that is a very loaded statement bordering on trying to brand Tobago people as being racist against Indians.

No wonder Brownsugar reacted as she did.

From the heart of my Tobagonian bottom, you're a firetrucking idiot!!......

Jumbie cannot win this one. If he had any sense he would already have withdrawn his comment and apologized for trying to generally brand Tobago people as racist based on his own biased thinking.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:42:34 AM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »

From the heart of my Tobagonian bottom, you're a firetrucking idiot!!......

And this is why you and I does get along, yuh not afraid to call bullshit for what it is.  I watching people give this man a pass for his clearly offensive statement against Tobagonians and just shaking my head.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »
and you said.. "I personally know of Afro-Trinis who received shabby treatment in Tobgo simply because they were not viewed by the locals as having loads of money to spend."

Your experience is yours, but you didn't say "first Indian I know of who get good treatment in Tobago"... you made it broader than that by implying such a thing has never happened before, not just in your experience, but ever.  You are a f**king idiot... if nobody else have the guts to say it.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
and you said.. "I personally know of Afro-Trinis who received shabby treatment in Tobgo simply because they were not viewed by the locals as having loads of money to spend."

Your experience is yours, but you didn't say "first Indian I know of who get good treatment in Tobago"... you made it broader than that by implying such a thing has never happened before, not just in your experience, but ever.  You are a f**king idiot... if nobody else have the guts to say it.
:beermug:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Tobago News.
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
Buccoo Estate acquired for $174 million
T&T Guardian Reports.

Government has purchased the controversial Buccoo Estate in Tobago, popularly known as No Man’s Land, for $174, 806,775 million.

The 398.42 acre property, which is listed as one of the CL Financial’s (CLF) assets, was sold earlier this year. Each acre was valued at US$65,000, bringing the total value of the secluded property to US$25,897,300.

In 2016, Clico carried on its balance sheet the value of the land at roughly $187 million. The transfer agreement was completed on March 2017.

However, at a press conference last week, Carlton Reis, who represents CL Financial shareholders under the group United Shareholders Ltd, had estimated the land at $500 million.

Clico Policyholders Group chairman Peter Permell, in a July 16 Sunday Guardian article, said a Project Rebirth report prepared by PricewaterhouseCoppers estimated the fair market value of the property at approximately $867 million.

The land will be offered to Sandals chairman Gordon “Butch” Stewart for the construction of two hotel resorts comprising 750 rooms.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley confirmed Government purchased the property at market value. He said an issue was raised recently about Government’s taking possession of the CLF assets, noting it was argued that what was on the books was not the real value and Government should have sought a valuation.

“But it was said that the lands we took in Tobago in lieu of the debt and set off against the debt might have been improperly done and the value might not have been established properly. Let me today put that to rest,” he said.

“The Government, quite properly, through the relevant authority in all of this, the board set off the monies owed for the value of those land. And the value was established by reputable independent valuators in Trinidad and Tobago. And that is the value at which the Government’s debt was reduced by virtue of the value of this land.”

The PM warned all those who have been saying the Government took possession of the land and paid “half X for it... nothing is further from the truth. The law requires that any disposal of assets under the Central Bank, as it is now holding assets for Clico…any disposal requires fair market value. And that is exactly what we got in that.

He said the valuation was based on an analysis of 100 per cent of the common stock of Occidental Investments Ltd and Oceanic Properties Ltd, owned by Clico.

Rowley said a lot of misinformation was being put out in the public domain by people who were unaware “but who are fuelling conspiracies and ascribing misconduct to the Government” was misleading.

“Those lands would have been acquired by the Government at full market value established by reputable valuators.”

Rowley left a copy of the valuation for the media’s perusal, but did not field questions about the land.

The Buccoo Estate in Tobago, popularly known as No Man's Land, which was purchased by government for $174, 806,775 million.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Bridge to Tobago a good option
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
Bridge to Tobago a good option
By Charles Kong Soo (Guardian).

Possible with China’s help, says ex-banker

With the current woes on the sea bridge between Trinidad and Tobago, coupled with a shaky air bridge which leaves Tobagonians and travellers alike marooned on a day to day basis, former Scotiabank managing director Richard Young says a bridge linking Toco to Tobago should be seriously considered and can be done without putting the country in debt.

During the run-up to the general elections on September 7, 2015, then prime minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had suggested that a suspension bridge could be built from Toco to Tobago, but then Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley had countered that no amount of money in the western hemisphere and no engineering known to man could pay for or build such a bridge.

In recent times, however, Rowley has suggested that Government was now considering a port at Toco as another option to alleviating the issue. In fact, last week after Tobago House of Assemyl Minostiry leader Watson Duke staged his swim protest from Tobago to Trinidad, the PM noted that Duke’s journey had only bolstered Government’s argument for such a project.

But Young told the T&T Guardian that the real solution for the sea and air bridge woes was through a bridge, adding this feat can come from the East using Chinese technology, resources and funding.

Speaking from his office at the T&T International Financial Centre (TTIFC) at the International Waterfront Centre, Port-of- Spain, Young highlighted China’s multi-billion-dollar One Belt One Road Initiative (OBOR).

The Belt and Road initiative was proposed by Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2013, when he visited T&T and offered concessionary loans to not only this country but other Caribbean nations totalling approximately US$3 billion.

OBOR aims to link Asia with Europe, Africa and other countries around the world along ancient land-based and maritime trade routes through various trade and infrastructure projects.

Bridge not an impossibility

Describing himself as a private citizen, Young said, “Building a bridge to Tobago along 19 miles is not an impossibility, the cost may be prohibitive in the region of US$1.5 billion.

“But the Chinese have the technology, they have built bridges, highways, airports, new cities, artificial islands and train systems in China and other countries.”

He added: “I have travelled on the Donghai Bridge leaving Shanghai, one of the longest cross-sea bridges in the world with a total length of 20.2 miles (32.5 kilometres) of a six-lane highway leading to the offshore Yangshan Deep-Water Port.

“The port has an LNG regasification plant, over 700 gantries, is still expanding and there were more than 20 wind turbines generating electricity.”

He said if such a bridge was built here there would also be the opportunity to start getting involved in renewable energy.

Young said the bridge to Tobago could be modelled after the $730 million four-lane 67.2-km-long North-South toll highway in Jamaica, which links the capital Kingston in the South with the tourist city of Ocho Rios in the North. That bridge was built and funded by a Chinese company, China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC), and has reduced a two-hour drive by less than half. He said CHEC took all the financial risks and in return Jamaica gave it a 50-year concession to recover its costs, by awarding it land alongside the highway for the same period of time to develop for residential and commercial use through the establishment of a resort hotel. He said the T&T Government could enter into similar public-private partnerships (PPP) with Chinese companies and businesses for a win-win situation.

Young said such a project had the potential to create an improvement in productivity and provide a stimulant to the economy of Tobago.

He said given the extensive investments made by the Chinese government and businesses in Latin America and the Caribbean, it would be easy to convince them to invest in such a project if they were given an incentive.

However, Young said one of the conditions for the joint venture was that there should be some form of local content, and while T&T had very formidable construction companies they had to make sure there was efficiency, productivity and value for money.

Senior lecturer in transportation engineering in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at The University of the West Indies’ St Augustine campus, Dr Trevor Townsend, says the most feasible transport method to Tobago in the shortest time frame for implementation and lowest capital investment was currently the ferry.

Expert — Ferry still best option

He said the proposal to create a physical land bridge from Toco to Tobago would require major capital investment, incur recurring expenditure, operating costs and demand in service will have to be determined whether such a project was feasible in the medium to long term.

Townsend said T&T’s ferry problems were not an insurmountable challenge, noting other Caribbean islands operated ferries and this country had been operating a ferry service since the 1900s, noting the current woes were more of a planning and procurement issue.

However, he said questions had to be answered as to why the country was in a position of crisis scrambling to get a boat to operate.

When asked if large, amphibious military transport planes can be used in the air bridge, Townsend said the distance between Trinidad and Tobago was too short and the country was not going to get economies of operation out of the use of such aircraft.

Inter-island Trailers and Truckers’ Association Horace Amede said a bridge linking Toco to Tobago could be done, but the cost of maintenance and the toll to travel on it had to be considered.

Tobago Chamber of Commerce president Demi John Cruickshank meanwhile said during former prime minister Patrick Manning’s tenure a feasibility study was done on a bridge proposal. He said Tobago cannot afford another ferry fiasco to ever happen again and he would welcome all discussions for a solution to Tobago’s sea bridge woes.

Former transport minister John Humphrey meanwhile said a bridge won’t be worthwhile because of the country’s relatively small population.

Noting that the US now owed China more than US$1 trillion, he said he was involved in several mega-projects with investment from two Chinese banks but they had insisted on transparency when dealing with various T&T governments that came into power.

Humphrey said a port in Toco that would have increased production and development in the area was promised by the NAR government but never materialised.

He said a port was also being considered when Sadiq Baksh was works minister in the United National Congress under Basdeo Panday and was a feasible idea because when a road is built to Toco all the land adjacent to that road is usable and the road should be designed to accommodate a settlement.

But Humphrey said a land bridge spanning from Toco to Tobago was not feasible. He said while in Jamaica you may have a lot of traffic to support the cost of that highway built by the Chinese there, you will not get that volume of traffic in T&T to justify financing such an expensive project.

Humphrey said plans were presented to the People’s Partnership government and prime minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar at the beginning of her term.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge to Tobago a good option
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
If they can't manage the Caroni bridge or maintain the dry river, they go build a bridge from toco t o s'boro?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
Most feasible to me is a port at Toco. It should be supplemented by 2 roads. The existing road should be widened to accommodate the expected traffic. A toll road from Grande to Toco should also be built. Something like the NJ turnpike. The cost of this project maybe quarter of the price of the road from Toco to S'boro.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:59:12 AM by Deeks »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
Most feasible to me is a port at Toco. It should be supplemented by 2 roads. The existing road should be widened to accommodate the expected traffic. A toll road from Grande to Toco should also be built. Something like the NJ turnpike. The cost of this project maybe quarter of the price of the road from Toco to S'boro.

There is a plan to build a highway to Toco.......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

From Grande, l presume!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »

From Grande, l presume!
Yup....that's the plan if I'm not mistaken....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
thus guy us a moron. you can't build a bridge in deep water the Japanese have tried and failed. last election Kamla spoke about building a bridge to tobago and it was scuffed at because of the depth of waters between the islands its simply a bad idea.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 09:36:49 AM »
how deep is the water?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
how deep is the water?

Jumble, I honestly don't know. You know the bridge could well be built, but think about the operational and maintenance costs of the bridge. You know we have a good reputation when it comes to maintenance. The govt can't even manage wasa, ttech, petrotrin, cal, schools and civil servants, etc. Right now only China can build and maintain a structure like that.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 09:15:30 PM »
Was just curious about the depth since it was mentioned that it's too deep. Fully agree with you Deeks (management, maintenance etc).

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
Was just curious about the depth since it was mentioned that it's too deep. Fully agree with you Deeks (management, maintenance etc).

http://www.fishtrack.com/fishing-charts/trinidad-and-tobago_100102

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 06:46:57 AM »

From Grande, l presume!
Uuuuuuummmmm.....ah think so....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
China unveils US$15Bn mega bridge
T&T Guardian Reports
By AKASH SAMAROO.

Engineering marvel could be answer to domestic travel woes in T&T

The idea of building a bridge over the Caribbean Sea to connect Trinidad with Tobago is not a new one.

However, it may not be one that the current administration is troubling itself with at the moment.

As Opposition Leader in 2015, Dr Keith Rowley said no amount of money in the Western Hemisphere and no engineering known to man could pay for or build such a bridge which would have to at least be 30 kilometres long.

Two years later, the Chinese Government is mere months away from opening such an engineering marvel in the Eastern Hemisphere. It’s called the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge.

The 55-kilometre roadway, reportedly the longest in the world, will connect three areas which were previously accessed by ferries, cutting down transportation time significantly.

In fact, according to Chinese officials, the journey between Zhuhai and Hong Kong will now be 30 minutes compared to the three hours it took by ferry. Construction started in 2009 over the Ling Ting Sea.

Guardian Media was given a tour of the yet to be opened causeway and officials were asked: “Can this be built over the Caribbean Sea?’”

While officials said they were unaware of the exact specifications of the water’s activity in that area they believe it can be done.

The officials also pointed out that the asphalt used to construct the roadway came from the Pitch Lake in Trinidad.

The project did come at a high price—around US$15 billion.

T&T could access some funding from the Chinese Government itself for a project of that magnitude. At a press conference in Guangdong Province, China’s strongest economic area, Deputy Director General of the Guangdong Department of Commerce, Wang Tao said one of the province’s proposals for strengthening ties with Latin America and the Caribbean would be to give more support from national funds for infrastructural development.

While he could not give an exact figure of how much funds are in that reserve he did say funding would be in the form of credit from China’s National Development Bank or its Import Export Bank.

A more precise figure was given by the Chinese President Xi Xinping, in 2013 when as part of his One Belt One Road Initiative, he announced that up to US$3 billion was available to Latin America and the Caribbean for projects like this.

The bridge will also be a toll road and those funds are expected to be used for maintenance.

There have been counter-arguments for such a project. Former Transport Minister John Humphrey told the T&T Guardian last month that a bridge would not be worthwhile because of the country’s small population while senior lecturer in transportation engineering in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department at the University of the West Indies’ St Augustine campus, Dr Trevor Townsend said it would require major capital investment and incur high recurring expenditure.

Both believed a ferry service was still the best option.

If T&T does decide to look into this option, it would be a costly venture that would require several years and immense manpower. However, given the inconsistencies with the existing ferry service on the seabridge, the answer in fixing the connection between two close land masses might lie in the Far East.

Hong Kong -Zhuhai- Macao Bridge Photo by:Xinhua News Agency

1]; } ?>