March 28, 2024, 02:45:08 PM

Author Topic: Tobago News.  (Read 23322 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Tobago News.
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Imbert confident THA can repay $300m bond
By JULIEN NEAVES (NEWSDAY).

Finance Minister Colm Imbert said he has confidence that the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) can repay a $300 million bond.

He was responding to a question in the Senate on Tuesday from Opposition Senator Wade Mark. Imbert was asked what mechanisms will be used to ensure proper accountability with Government's decision to grant approval to the THA to borrow money on the local market to finance developmental activity.

He said Cabinet's approval was sought and obtained in September 2019 for the THA to issue a bond on the domestic market in the amount of $300 million for capital works.

"The Ministry of Finance intends to work closely with the THA in executing this bond with a focus on reviewing the documentation and ensuring that the terms and conditions agreed upon are in accordance with the wider public sector debt portfolio."

He reported the THA has established a prudential borrowing limit restricting financing repayments to five per cent of the current expenditure for the fiscal year.

"The Ministry of Finance will seek to ensure that the funds are utilised for agreed projects in particular development projects that are of greatest benefit to residents of Tobago and the wider public."

He said the ministry will also monitor the administration of the bond once issued to ensure that all debt service payments are made on time and as agreed.

Mark asked if the Government will be guaranteeing these loans and Imbert replied "no". Mark then asked how the loans would be repaid but Senate President Christine Kangaloo said that question did not arise.

Imbert said the loans would be repaid from current funds.

Mark asked if Imbert was satisfied in the absence of any audited accounts since 2007 by the THA whether he was confident the assembly has the ability to engage in this exercise.

Imbert said he does not believe the statement about audited financial accounts is correct but is "grossly inaccurate" and he is confident.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
Teen girls shot after $2.5m Tobago mall robbery
BY KINNESHA GEORGE (NEWSDAY).

Two form two female students from the same secondary school are being treated for gunshot wounds after police had a shoot-out with bandits who robbed a jewellery store at Lowlands Mall on Monday.

The teens were allegedly in the getaway vehicle which was intercepted by a police roadblock at Union village.

Two men are currently assisting police in their investigations into the $2.5 million jewellery heist.

Police sources told Newsday that around 12.39 pm on Monday, gunmen dressed in Muslim garb entered Caribbean Jewellers Ltd at the popular mall, held up the sales personnel and robbed them of jewellery. Shortly after, police received information about a gold Almera car that was involved in the robbery.

Newsday understands a roadblock was set up and police spotted a gold Almera approaching. Police say they were shot at and returned fire but the vehicle escaped through the roadblock and sped off.

Police gave chase and found the vehicle crashed into a utility pole further along the Union Road with one of the teens inside. They then set up a dragnet and two males from Golden Lane and Pump Mill were held at various points in the area.

There were initial reports that one of the suspects walked into the Scarborough Police Station on Monday evening and surrendered.

The officers said the driver of the getaway car escaped and they believe he is injured. They have alerted hospitals and health centres to look out for anyone seeking treatment for gunshot wounds.

Police said they found jewellery and Muslim apparel in the car.

A 14-year-old female form two student from Bagatelle was also found in the car with a gunshot wound to the head. She was taken to the Scarborough hospital then transferred to the Mt Hope hospital. Shortly after, another form two student, who attends the same school as the injured teen, went to the Scarborough Hospital with a gunshot wound to the hand. The Golden Lane teen was treated and is now under police guard at the hospital. Investigations are continuing.

One employee in a store next to Caribbean Jewellers told Newsday no one was aware a robbery was taking place until an alarm was raised after. Expressing shock, the employee said mall employees were trau­ma­tised, as she call­ed for in­creased se­cu­ri­ty pa­trols along with the in­stal­la­tion of metal scan­ners at the var­i­ous en­trances to as­sist with de­tect­ing crim­i­nal el­e­ments op­er­at­ing in­side the mall.

In a press release on Tuesday Chief Secretary and Secretary of Education Kelvin Charles said he was deeply saddened by the incident and even more concerned for the welfare of the students and their families. Charles urged students to be vigilant about their surroundings as well as the friends they keep.

“I really want to encourage the youth to be very cautious in these times. They are living at a time that calls for great responsibility. It is a time when their decisions can have serious implications for their lives,” Charles said.

He encouraged all students to adhere to the guidelines and instructions of their teachers, principals and the policies of their schools, noting that the division is currently awaiting further details surrounding the incident.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »
This is also a fit for the child abuse thread. Human shields? Relatives? Why were they in the car?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »
Tobago wants $4.71b from Central Government
ELIZABETH GONZALES (NEWSDAY)

The Tobago House of Assembly (THA) is asking for $4.71 billion in its 2021 budget presentation.

This includes funding for development programmes and recurrent estimates as well as provisions for Community-Based Environmental Protection and Enhancement Programme (Cepep) and Unemployment Relief Programme (URP).

Secretary for the Division of Finance and the Economy Joel Jack made the budget presentation on Monday morning.

For 2021 total tax revenues are estimated $197.2 million. The total estimated revenue is $198.3 million.

Last year the THA requested $4.72 billion from Central Government – $3.26 billion for recurrent expenditure and $1.45 billion for the development programme. The island received $2.229 billion at the national budget – $1.97 billion for recurrent expenditure, $231.63 million for capital expenditure and $18 million for URP.

Secretary of Finance and Economy Joel Jack. PHOTO COURTESY THA -

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
Tobago COVID patient alleges 8-hour wait for bed
Story by CAMILLE McEACHNIE (Guardian).

A man who tested positive for COVID-19 alleges he waited over eight hours for a bed, at the old Scarborough General Hospital COVID facility at Fort King George, on Sunday.

The man said he and his mother arrived at the facility at 4 pm. However, his mother was given a bed, but he waited in the corridor on a hard, plastic chair for 8 hours.

Guardian Media kept vigil with the man, who threatened to run away from the establishment.

"I so frustrated now that after talking to many doctors and nurses, I feel to just leave here now. I here so long now," he told Guardian Media at 11 pm.

One hour later, he showed Guardian Media where a bed was placed for him in the facility.

It was neatly made and appeared to be in front of a reception area.

Guardian Media understands officials at the Division of Health, Wellness, and Family Development are investigating the matter.

One official told us: "We (Health Division) have all the information in the public domain and... would provide the media with an update."

The Division's last release indicated that 17 persons tested positive for the virus, with 13 being active cases.

The August 15 release said five additional persons had tested positive for the virus. Three are primary contacts of a COVID-19 patient, and two are under investigation.

The Division reminds persons to wash hands properly, wear masks, cover coughs and sneezes with bent elbows and tissues, and avoid persons with symptoms of the virus.

Also, citizens are reminded to sanitize surfaces regularly touched and practice social distancing.

If you fall ill, the Division advises that you call the hotline at 800-HEAL (4325).

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
Police: Stolen sheep, goats from Mayaro may be in Tobago
LAUREL V WILLIAMS (NEWSDAY).

The 38 sheep and 18 goats stolen from a Mayaro breeding unit between late Saturday night and early Sunday are believed to have been taken to Tobago.

Police said they were told the thieves loaded the animals on a boat and headed to Tobago.

Tobago police have been contacted and are on the lookout for the animals.

Police said the animals were taken from the Agriculture, Land and Fisheries Ministry unit at Guayaguayare Mayaro Road in Stone Bright Village, a mere 100 metres from Indian Bay beach.

They got a report of the theft on Sunday.

Up to Monday, investigators were unable to say how much the stolen animals were worth.

No one has been arrested. Mayaro police are investigating.

The theft is the latest in a series.

Last week, a 72-year-old La Romaine farmer reported that thieves stole 21 goats from him.

The perpetrators remain at large and San Fernando police are investigating.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
BWTF
Like somebody was getting paid a "political dowery?"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:02 AM »
Tobago COVID patient alleges 8-hour wait for bed
Story by CAMILLE McEACHNIE (Guardian).

A man who tested positive for COVID-19 alleges he waited over eight hours for a bed, at the old Scarborough General Hospital COVID facility at Fort King George, on Sunday.

The man said he and his mother arrived at the facility at 4 pm. However, his mother was given a bed, but he waited in the corridor on a hard, plastic chair for 8 hours.

Guardian Media kept vigil with the man, who threatened to run away from the establishment.

"I so frustrated now that after talking to many doctors and nurses, I feel to just leave here now. I here so long now," he told Guardian Media at 11 pm.

One hour later, he showed Guardian Media where a bed was placed for him in the facility.

It was neatly made and appeared to be in front of a reception area.

Guardian Media understands officials at the Division of Health, Wellness, and Family Development are investigating the matter.

One official told us: "We (Health Division) have all the information in the public domain and... would provide the media with an update."

The Division's last release indicated that 17 persons tested positive for the virus, with 13 being active cases.

The August 15 release said five additional persons had tested positive for the virus. Three are primary contacts of a COVID-19 patient, and two are under investigation.

The Division reminds persons to wash hands properly, wear masks, cover coughs and sneezes with bent elbows and tissues, and avoid persons with symptoms of the virus.

Also, citizens are reminded to sanitize surfaces regularly touched and practice social distancing.

If you fall ill, the Division advises that you call the hotline at 800-HEAL (4325).

on a hard, plastic chair

what did he expected, a soft plastic love seat.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2020, 03:40:31 PM »
Tobago Hospitality and Tourism Institute still open for business
RACHAEL ESPINET (NEWSDAY).

The Tobago Hospitality and Tourism Institute (THTI) is functioning and will continue to function as a tertiary education institution in hospitality and tourism training for Tobago.

The THTI made the announcement in a public statement on Saturday, one day after its counterpart in Trinidad – the TT Hospitality and Tourism Institute (TTHTI) – announced that it was closing due to lack of funds.

The THTI release said it had instituted all the covid19 measures for the education sector announced by the government since March, including campus closure.

The staff worked to migrate learning onto an online platform and provide remote support to faculty and students since March 23.

The THTI is now enrolling students for the associate degree programme for the January 2021 intake. Interested people can register online at www.thti.edu.tt.

THTI also offers short courses for professional skills upgrading or personal interest, as well as pre-qualification programmes which offer a pathway for students who have not attained all the required CXC subjects to apply to the degree programme.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »
Tobago pyramid schemes collapse
ELIZABETH GONZALES (NEWSDAY).

People who have been scammed in the pyramid scheme are asked to come forward and file official complaints with the Fraud Squad. No one has done so yet.

But one Tobago man plans to do so.

The man, who didn’t want to be named, told Newsday he invested $700, invited four people to invest another $700 each – but because the pyramid scheme didn’t operate the way it was claimed to, he not only lost his own money, but had to repay the four people he invited.

On Wednesday, Newsday spoke to a Fraud Squad officer for an update on action against the "investment" scheme, which has attracted hundreds of people across T&T.

The officer said no one has come forward, so there cannot be an investigation into the private scheme.

“I don’t think anybody really came and reported that they have lost, to show there is anything at this stage for an official investigation.”

He said it is still of concern to police.

“So if there is someone who feels they have been defrauded, come forward. That’s what the Fraud Squad is here for. Once you provide the information, we will investigate it.”

But, he said, “If persons do not come forward – and nobody is coming forward – then there is nothing for us to investigate, and all we can continue to say is we are concerned about it.”

The pyramid scheme surfaced about two months ago, with people inviting family and friends to invest and get back three times that amount in returns.People can invest as little as $200 and are promised $1,600 in two weeks if they can bring two other people in to invest.

The pyramid has got the attention of the Central Bank, the Financial Intelligence Unit and the police, who warned the public to be cautious about putting their money into this type of scheme.

The Tobago man joined the pyramid scheme group on August 8. Days after, he met with the group administrator in Crown Point to hand over his investment. He was supposed to receive a payout of $5,600.

He told Newsday the group had 350 investors, including one administrator.

“I invited four people to invest under me, which would have made it $2,800 plus my $700.”

According to the rules, to be “blessed” after investing the investor must bring in two people to invest the same amount as themselves.

Then for those two people to be “blessed” they must do the same. The scheme depends on investments by newcomers.

It is likened to a flower and the centre is called “the water.” When others invest, it pushes those who invested before into the "water," where a lump sum will be paid. Investors are told it will take two weeks for them to get to the "water" to “cash out.”

Newsday understands there are over 500 active pyramid groups across T&T with hundreds of people involved.

The man told Newsday, “When it was time for me to cash out because I was in the water, the other person who was supposed to cash me out say they brought in their two people already – the process is, you’re first in the fire, wind, earth and then water. So the people in the wind element brought in their two people, but the person didn’t cash me out, they cash out somebody else who wasn’t in the water.

“She was cashing out her friends and family. People were just coming in and joining so they could cash her and her people out.

“The people who I brought in, I had to give them back their money, which was $2,800. That what’s I lost, plus my investment of $700." He said a major issue is that people were not reinvesting but cashing out and leaving, so the scheme couldn’t survive. He said he had second thoughts earlier, because he didn’t have enough information. But after seeing a close friend cash out, he was convinced he could benefit.

Unfortunately, this didn’t work out, the group was deleted and over 200 people lost their money.

The man said he and his friends who had lost their deposits wanted to take the woman responsible to court, "But I don’t know what’s happening with that now.

“I went to her home and she said she has no money for me and she has no money, she can’t say where the money went.

"She never gave me a chance to get answers but I know she’s receiving threats."His response to her, he said, was: "I tell she, ‘I leaving it to God,’ and she say she praying to the same God too.”

And yet even after losing more than he invested, he still believes the scheme can work if it is operated correctly and honestly.

“There must be strict rules. People must be required to bring in their two people and they must invest and re-gift. Re-gifting is not an investment, it is helping someone who is in the 'water' to cash out.”

Also trapped in the pyramid scheme was a Tobago police officer who invested $400 on August 20. The group crashed days later.

The policewoman, who has been in the service for 16 years, told Newsday on Thursday she was promised a payout of $3200 in three days. She was also asked to reinvest $400 and pay $135 for the administrator fee so she didn’t have to find two more people.

“Days after I asked the person who got me in for an update and she told me to check the group. I saw my name in a circle. I was in the fire. Three days after, I asked for an update and I was in wind.”She said the administrator kept changing the rules.

“After ten days I was in earth and to this day I am still in earth. Last night when I check the group, the admin asked me to contact another man who is now my admin. When I contacted the other person I was told the group is on a go-slow and they want people to do their own sou- sou because the group is closed.”

She said she asked the admin to address all investors in the group and threatened to report her to the Fraud Squad. “She telling me if Fraud Squad come she will show them her books of the people she paid out.

There were 200 people in this group.

She alleged there are senior officers in charge of groups. "Some of them crashed, that's why I didn’t join any police officer group. I picked this one I because I didn’t have to bring in anyone. What's happening is these administrators getting greedy."

ACP of the Tobago Division Vernon Roberts told Newsday he is not aware of any police officer in charge of any pyramid scheme. “As far as I am aware, that is illegal.”

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:01:07 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Tobago Chamber to Gov't: Make Tobago VAT-free zone
COREY CONNELLY (NEWSDAY).

The Tobago Business Chamber is hoping Finance Minister Colm Imbert will announce plans to make Tobago a VAT-free zone in the October 5 budget.

Chamber head Martin George gave the chamber’s wish list in a WhatsApp voice note on Tuesday.

He said the chamber had floated the idea some time ago and it was not impossible.

“You have places like Panama, where they have declared a duty-free zone. So it is quite possible to achieve this, and we think that that will also help to stimulate greater investment in Tobago.”

He added: “You will have many more Tobagonians wanting to come across to Tobago and retire, because if they know that Tobago is a VAT-free zone, it means their cost-of-living expenses will be tremendously reduced, so there is a greater incentive in that regard.

“And with that, you then start developing your health care systems in Tobago. So therefore, once people are retired, and they know they have proper healthcare on the island, Tobago will be paradise for retirees.”

Saying the chamber is eagerly anticipating the presentation, George repeated its call for the “complete and unconditional removal” of the foreign investment legislation, which, he believes, has “crippled and stifled all forms of direct foreign investment into Tobago.

“So we need to see that legislation totally repealed. We just need to get rid of it. It has been the greatest albatross around the neck of Tobago in terms of crippling and stifling direct foreign investment.”

George said the chamber is also hoping to hear an announcement of measures to allow for a mandatory minimum of ten per cent local contractor input on all major infrastructural projects.

“We don’t just want local labour input. We don’t want you just hiring labourers and craftsmen. We want you to hire contractors in the mega-projects in Tobago. Hire them as sub-contractors so that they can get a chance to learn the skillset and there would be that knowledge exchange in terms of them developing their skills to be eventually take on bigger and bigger projects.”

He said the knowledge transfer would trickle down to the workforce.

George is also hoping to hear of measures to speed up the distribution of relief grants to those affected by the covid19 restrictions in Tobago.

“This would ensure that, at every level, everyone who has applied, even for the salary relief grants, staff members who have applied for that, that they would get this expedited and actually receive the grants in hand.”

Some hoteliers and guesthouse operators have begun receiving money from the Government’s $50 million grant facility.

Tobago Tourism Agency Ltd’s director of tourism product development and destination marketing Narendra Ramgulam said three businesses – Bananaquit, Villa Indra and Mike’s Holiday Resort – have received $300,000 each.

The grants are intended to help hoteliers upgrade their establishments in order to boost the island’s tourism sector, post-covid19.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
Jack predicts 14% blow to Tobago economy

Tobago is projected to experience a fiscal decline of approximately 14 per cent by year's end, owing to the continuing negative effect of the covid19 pandemic.

Secretary for Finance and the Economy Joel Jack made the revelation on Wednesday at the post-executive council media conference at the Victor E Bruce Financial Complex, Scarborough.

Saying the division is monitoring the impact of the pandemic on Tobago’s economy, Jack said the projected slump in GDP (Gross Domestic Product) is being driven largely by declines in the tourism, manufacturing and financial-services sectors.

He said the division also anticipates increases in inflation owing to supply-chain disruptions as well as increased unemployment in the private sector.

“Fortunately, our inflation and unemployment numbers over the past few years have been very low and we anticipate very minimal increases in this regard,” Jack said.

Noting the UK and Barbados have projected economic declines of 20 and ten per cent, respectively, by the end of 2020, Jack said: “In TT, where the initial estimates suggest a decline of approximately ten per cent, we – in the Tobago context – our projections are for a decline of approximately 14 per cent in 2020.”

He pointed out that this came on the heels of a projected increase in economic activity for fiscal 2019.

Jack and Chief Secretary Ancil Dennis are expected to lead a THA delegation to Trinidad for talks with Finance Minister Colm Imbert ahead of the October 5 budget.

Before the last budget, the THA requested an allocation of $4.72 billion but received $2.283 billion from central government.

In the THA’s budget in June, it requested $4.71 billion.

Jack is optimistic that notwithstanding the country’s current economic challenges, Tobago will receive an allocation to continue its development agenda.

“We also expect an allocation that will be in keeping with the resolutions of the Dispute Resolution Commission (DRC)."

The DRC has established a band of approximately 4.03-6.9 per cent of the national budget that the assembly is entitled to in accordance with the THA Act.

Jack is hoping the allocation will contain measures to mitigate the continuing effects of covid19, and support for the revitalisation of Tobago’s tourism industry.

“This industry has been particularly adversely impacted by the covid19 pandemic.”

He also wants a focus on Tobago’s economic diversification thrust, particularly financial and technical assistance to small and medium enterprises as well as support for the agricultural sector “as we seek to increase output and enhance the island’s food security.”

Also on the THA’s wish list, Jack said, is support for the acceleration of the housing programme and Tobago’s digital infrastructure.

Jack is also hoping to see an upgrade to the island’s health infrastructure and social safety net, especially for those adversely affected by the pandemic.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »
Tobago chocolate wins Europe award
STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Two centuries ago, sugar was the undisputed king of Tobago. But owing to the efforts of Tobagonian Duane Dove, owner and founder of Tobago Cocoa Estate, there is a new king in town – cocoa.

On 50 sprawling acres in Roxborough, the main ingredient for rich, delectable chocolates is grown.

If you ask Dove, he might argue his chocolates are the best in the world. He will get a chance to prove that very soon.

Last Saturday, at the European Bean-to-Bar International Chocolate Awards, held virtually, Dove's Tobago Estate Chocolate Laura won silver in the plain/origin milk chocolate bar category. The award qualifies Dove's product for the world chocolate finals later this year.

According to the competition's Facebook page, "the bean-to-bar competition focuses on fine, craft and micro-batch chocolate makers who work directly from cacao beans to produce plain/origin and flavoured chocolate bars from Europe, the Middle East and Africa."

It is not the first award won by the Tobago Cocoa Estate, but according to Dove, "This is the big fish."

He told Newsday, "To win here means we're doing something right...The quality we are talking about is Rolls Royce chocolate, not candy bars."

He added, "When you making craft, artisan chocolates you would have all the raw material left in the bar – cocoa mask, cocoa butter. When you go a regular store or supermarket, what they're selling might not have any cocoa butter but palm oil and vegetable fats. That defines the supermarket brands from the gourmet chocolate. The cocoa butter is a key ingredient in the final products. If you don't have the cocoa butter you not gonna get that soft melt on the palate."

Dove, 50, said the award lifted his spirits and those of his partners amid the gloom of the covid19 pandemic.

"We were all – myself, my staff and all our partners – elated by the news of the award and quite frankly, we needed a boost, in light of the challenges we have been faced with in 2020. Hopefully there will be more to come as we await results from another competition in December.

“We also, with this award, qualify for the International Chocolate Awards world finals coming soon."

Dove said the covid19 pandemic has increased the demand for chocolate products, but the supply chain has been seriously disrupted.

"Because of covid19 we're getting logistical problems to get cocoa from point A to point B. Since March we haven't been able to produce new products."

The Tobago Cocoa Estate sells chocolates mainly in the US, France and Denmark, but products are now reaching Australia and New Zealand.

At the National Cocoa Awards on Friday, Trade and Industry Minister Paula Gopee-Scoon revealed that between 2018 and 2019, cocoa farmers garnered $17.9 million in exports.

Dove, who has been involved in the industry for 25 years and making chocolate since 2010, said cocoa is a natural export crop for TT with tremendous potential.

"The wonderful thing is that we are blessed in TT (with) our Trinitario cocoa, indigenous to the islands. In Tobago we have some older varieties, which give a more intense taste and flavour in the chocolate products – an attribute we welcome."

Dove grew up on a farm and learned by helping out.

"After O-Levels I went to Canada to study and enrolled in a culinary arts programme. I then moved to Europe to further my studies within wines and beverages, and got hooked on pairing artisan chocolates with fine wines and aged spirits. I focused specifically on combining aged Caribbean rum from the region with chocolates made from the best cocoa grown on the islands and deep South America. All these experiments led to my book Rum and Chocolate – A Journey Round the Caribbean."

Dove, a trained sommelier, said the book "captures the spirit of Caribbean islands."

On the Tobago Estate he is involved in every stage of production, from planting, harvesting, fermenting, drying and storing the beans right up to the production of the chocolates at factories abroad.

"At the end of the day, you sell beans to someone to make chocolate and they get all the name. I do not sell beans. This thing about selling cocoa is long-time thing. People want to pay you a pittance for your beans.

“Our goal is to create a chocolate of the highest and best quality."

He said the Tobago Cocoa Estate is also a huge tourist attraction for the island, since he offers tours as well.

Dove works with the Tobago Tourism Agency Ltd and foreign agencies. As the estate is near the Argyle Waterfall, tours usually combine stops at both sites. Visitors can visit the waterfall, then come to the estate to savour “cocoa tea,” a chocolate bar and see the operations. People in the village also benefit when there are big events, through catering, he said.

It all started in 2006, when he got land from the THA and started planting cocoa.

"While planting we carved out land to accommodate tours, a plantation-style house and a boutique house."

It usually takes four-six years before a cocoa tree starts bearing. A farmer will have to wait around ten years before the trees begin to reach full yields. Running a cocoa estate is hard work.

"Maintenance of the trees is paramount. Proper drainage, proper shading, regular pruning and field sanitation are key."

Surprisingly, Dove said getting labour for the estate is difficult in Tobago, and workers are usually brought from Trinidad.

"We have a couple permanent workers, but most of the work is seasonal, whether it's pruning or five acres to clear."

Harvesting, from October to May, can generate two-three shipments of beans, which are sent via ocean freight.

Dove boasted his beans are the first in T&T to receive 100 per cent organic certification, an achievement he is very proud of.

He said people are becoming more cognisant about what they consume and his chocolates can stand scrutiny.

"Research has shown palm oil causes cancer when heated above certain temperatures. Forests have to be cleared to get the palm oil."

Dove said although his product might be slightly more expensive than some on the shelves, it is of the highest quality and its production was eco-friendly.

Dove said passing on the cocoa knowledge to the younger generation is crucial.

Although his two children are too young, Dove intends to teach them about the industry.

"Of course, to pass that onto the younger generation, that is how we have to get this thing to live on...If we don't do that everything will be lost."

He said most of his employees are elderly but he hopes more youths show interest in cocoa.

"You try to retain that knowledge and pass that on to the younger folks."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2020, 12:39:02 AM »
Tobago tourism moves again with more flights, Buccoo tours

Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Chief Secretary Ancil Dennis has welcomed the Government’s decision to reopen the Buccoo Marine Park and increase from two to six the number of daily flights between the two islands.

The Prime Minister made the announcement on Saturday during a news conference at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.

Dr Rowley said Tobago’s tourism-based economy was especially challenged owing the restrictions that have been imposed to prevent the spread of the virus.

As such, he said, economic activity needed to return to the island.

Speaking at a news conference at the Blue Waters Inn, Speyside, where the THA executive council met on the weekend to discuss the October 5 budget, Dennis said Rowley’s gesture to reopen the marine park and increase flights between the islands was timely given the economic challenges confronting hoteliers and average Tobagonians.

“The prime minister announced the amount of flights between the islands will increase from two flights per day to six flights per day. Of course, we welcome that,” he told reporters.

“We welcome the opportunity to have some level of activity on the island with respect to tourism. He announced that the Buccoo Marine Park will, once again be open where our tour operators can begin to ply their trade again.

“Of course, this would be subject to specific protocols to ensure that we manage the spread of the covid19 virus.”

Dennis could not elaborate further on the initiatives but announced that by the middle of November, legislation governing the operations of the marine park, will come before the assembly.

He revealed he already has a copy of the draft bill.

“As I said before, we attempted to bring some change to that area in terms of how it (marine park) was managed. We attempted to implement a policy and we began doing so successfully.

“But, I said, as well, that in order for us to manage that place more effectively, that there was a need for legislation.

“So, by the end of this month to the middle of next month, we will see coming to the assembly for the first time in a long while, a Tobago bill brought before the Tobago House of Assembly.”

Dennis also said he will continue to hold discussions with Finance Minister Colm Imbert with a view to assisting hoteliers rebound from the effects of the pandemic.

He said an announcement of new initiatives to revitalise the sector should come by the end of the month.

“I would hope that by the end of this month, we will be able to identify specific initiatives because in discussions with them, I am told that many of them are unable to access the funding available through the loan guarantee programme, through First Citizens bank, where the Government has made available some $300 million to businesses impacted by this pandemic.”

He added: “We will continue to give priority on the tourism sector. I have always said that tourism is not dead. It is simply in a coma and I saying despite the challenges, we will continue to do some soft marketing of the destination to ensure that destination Tobago continues to be visible. “

Dennis assured stakeholders will not be left out of the discussions “so that when the time comes and the borders are once again open, destination Tobago will in fact be in a state of readiness.” He said much focus will also be placed on the island’s agricultural sector in this fiscal year.

Special funding has been identified to treat with the availability of lands for livestock and crop production, he said, through the land management unit of the Office of the Chief Secretary. By the end of the year, lands for new farmers should be available in Goldsborough and other communities

“And, of course, the target we have set for that new area is 50 to 100 new farmers must be able to operate here in Tobago by the end of the year.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
Austal Vietnam delivers catamaran to Trinidad and Tobago
By Alex Smith, Cruise and Ferry

Austal Vietnam has delivered catamaran ferry A.P.T James to the National Infrastructure Development Company (NIDCo) of Trinidad and Tobago. The ferry is the first vessel to be fully constructed at the company’s shipyard in Vung Tau, Vietnam.

The 94-metre-long ferry has capacity for 926 passengers and 250 cars, with an operational speed of up to 37.5 knots. It features Austal’s raked bow design and Motion Control System technology, which is designed to deliver a more comfortable and stable ride for passengers.

“This is an outstanding achievement for both Austal Vietnam and the Austal Group as we continue to focus and consolidate our defence and commercial vessel capabilities in strategic locations throughout Australasia,” said David Singleton, chief executive officer of Austal. “Our sincere congratulations go to Prime Minister Keith Rowley and the NIDCo of Trinidad and Tobago, the people of Trinidad and Tobago, and of course our 450-strong team of shipbuilders in Vung Tau on the delivery of this impressive new ship.”

A.P.T James will now enter service on the ‘sea bridge’ route between the islands of Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »
Incat launches Trinidad and Tobago’s Buccoo Reef
By Alex Smith, Cruise and Ferry

Australian shipbuilder Incat Tasmania has launched new ferry Buccoo Reef at its shipyard in Hobart, Australia.

Incat began construction on Buccoo Reef in 2019 and has since installed all major machinery and equipment onboard the vessel. The ship’s electronic systems are now being commissioned and tested in preparation for sea trials in November. She is scheduled to be delivered later this year for service on the seabridge between Port of Spain, Trinidad and Scarborough, Tobago.

Buccoo Reef will have capacity for 1,000 passengers in three lounges, which will include a range of bars and food service areas. The vehicle deck will have 175 truck lane metres and capacity for 182 cars, or 239 cars if trucks are not carried.

The ship will have an operating speed of over 40 knots, powered by four MAN 16v 28/33 STC marine diesel engines, Wärtsilä WXJ 1200 SRI waterjets and ZF 53500NR2H gearboxes. The vessel will also feature a Naiad Dynamics active ride control system, with active trim tabs aft and a retractable T-foil located at the aft end of the centre bow.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
But wait. Whatever happened to the Galleons Passage, the JDLV or JLDV or whatever it is ? All that scrap, or sent back..lease cancelled ? or contract signed ? in addition or in spite of.. I can't keep up with these speed beast nah. They going in and out of Tobago so fast, ppl doh have time ketch them, before anudda one come again... :devil:

After such a long trip, ah lil R&R in order, that an a lil opposite sex boat, might make ah baby boat that may work our channel. On a serious note, we need to build and maintain our own ships, hire some ship builders to teach, we have engineers, we have  welders, we have people.. dare we only capable of making pans ? Do we build and make stuff other than pepper sauce - yeah, yeah, is borse . We richer, yet we poorer. We modern, yet we ancient. We capable and fit, yet inefficient . What really is TT story.
Ah Ukraine crew on a Chinese boat, maintenance in Cuba. Ok.
Who operates the boat locally, who maintains, ah Nordic crew ? .. since this one getting about 20,000 between T&T trips out it system putt-putting round the Caribbean, by the time we actually make ah nudda 10000 between T&T, we go just buy another one ?

Purchase and all that running around the world..and now we doing test ?

Galleons makes 2nd run to Tobago
Kinnesha George

Herbert George, chairman of the National Infrastructure Development Company (NIDCO) is convinced that there is still some fine-tuning to be done before the Galleons Passage is put into service.

Yesterday, NIDCO officials sailed aboard the vessel to Tobago in what was considered its second test run to the island. The vessel departed Port of Spain at 7.41 am and arrived in Scarborough at 11.46 am.

For close to 45 minutes, the team aboard the vessel remained on the inside as Sunday Newsday observed officials attempting to get the ramp to line up with the ramp at the port compound.

Speaking with Sunday Newsday as he disembarked, George described the trial run was a success.

“I’m quite comfortable… as far as the vessel everything is fine.

“The ramp though, we have some tweaking to do to make it fit for all seasons; be it high tide or low tide, so we would be doing that in the next week and hopefully during that time we would be getting the necessary certificates and so from the Marine Services Department to be able to sail the vessel with passengers,” he said.

George said, as far as the mechanical functioning of the vessel, there were no problems as it was a smooth sailing to Tobago.

“We have some tweaking to do. As far as this ramp is concerned, we are going to make it wider so that the vessel can berth there much easier than it did today. Although today was a learning experience, I think we can make some adjustments and have it much easier,” he said. Members of the media were then invited inside for a tour of the vessel. Upon entering the vehicle ramp, George indicated that there were plans to install a canopy in that section, so as to prevent the sea spray from coming in onto the vehicles.

“The seller is responsible for that installation, he has had a lot of difficulties to get a vendor to do that work for him, he has gotten someone from Canada, they came and took the measurements and they have gone to fabricate the canopy to install it. They said the next three or so weeks, they would come with the material to have it installed,” he said.

George noted, however, that the installation would not delay the sailing of the vessel on the inter-island route.

As the team proceeded to the top deck, George said that the vessel would accommodate approximately 475 passengers in the first instance as the sun deck would not be used. He said NIDCO would continue to own and maintain the vessel, while it would be wet leased to the Port Authority.

George also touched on maintenance. “NIDCO has some capacity to maintain vessels, we have been doing that with the water taxis, but we recognise that this is not merely enough. So as part of the arrangement, we went out and we got an electrical engineer, a mechanical engineer and another kind of a maintenance manager to come in and he would set up the structure to maintain not only this one but all the vessels under NIDCO’s purview.

:whistling: :whistling:

Duke: My pirogue will beat Galleons Passage ferry

Sean Douglas (Newsday)

WATSON DUKE will race a pirogue from Tobago to Trinidad to prove it can beat the ferry Galleons Passage, he vowed at a briefing yesterday.

The Public Services Association (PSA) leader was joined by maritime attorney Nyree Alfonso and dockers' unionist Michael Annisette.

In the wake of his famous partial swim from Tobago to Trinidad, Duke said in the ferry’s first week of service, he will travel by pirogue, change his clothes, then host a news briefing.

“We’ll show that a pirogue can travel the same route and reach faster than the Galleons Passage.”

Duke dubbed the ferry “a slow boat” travelling at 11 knots and taking six hours, slower than the current ferries Spirit and Express, which reach 30 knots and take 3.5 hours. He scoffed that rather than the buy the Galleons Passage, the Government should have spent those millions of dollars to buy pirogues for Tobagonians to travel to Trinidad.

Duke alleged the Government had changed its tune on the Galleons Passage’s specs: it was originally said to take 700 passengers and 100 cars, but now said to take just 400 passengers and no cars.

He alleged that for political reasons the Government had raced the boat to Tobago at a dangerously high speed of 22 knots, to do the trip in 4.5 hours.

Saying Tobagonians are not happy with the Tobago-born Prime Minister, Duke said, “You’ll get a surprise licking come 2020, because this (issue) is not going away.”

Alfonso scoffed at the government’s litigation against her as an effort to muzzle her that is doomed to fail and would in fact make her a wealthy attorney.

She alleged thee had no proper procurement of ferries in recent times, and alleged the Cabo Star should have been leased for about US$12,000 per day, but TT was overpaying this cost by US$10,000. She found it astounding Dr Rowley could just walk into a shipyard in Australia and start ordering ferries, as she challenged his maritime expertise to do so and whether he had first consulted local ferry users.

Alfonso also lamented that vessels from both shipbuilders Incat and Austal will be ordered, as this would incur two different sets of spare parts and technicians.

She asked which TT expert had visited China to okay the Galleons Passage as suitable for here. Alleging unsuitability for heavy seas, she said Austal vessels work in seas with a sea scale of five, but TT waters are sea scale six.

Alfonso said all six Coast Guard vessels bought by this government are now down.

She alleged TT is paying much more to lease its water taxis than Martinique and Guadeloupe paid for similar boats . Saying the Prime Minister had spoken of corruption around the Cabo Star and Ocean Flower II, she asked what had been done about this.

“One manager went to Panama and said, ‘This boat is not suitable,’ and he was fired for his candour.”

Alfonso accused the government of ignoring the need for the right specs for the new ferry but just rushing to get one before the next general election.

more test necessary, send it back to China, via Cuba, via Panama canal..etc..etc..Tobago to damn far..Lawd..I know it was coming, but sonner than later smh

http://guardian.co.tt/news/galleons-passage-6.2.730837.dae32d134c
i know i misunderstanding something here, but ah fraid to ask

https://newsday.co.tt/2019/05/09/ferry-dry-docked-in-spain/

NEWday
Fast ferry APT James now scheduled to arrive in January
DARREN BAHAW 14 HRS AGO

The anticipated end-of-year gift of a new fast ferry to service the inter-island route from Port of Spain to Scarborough has hit a snag and is now expected to arrive in the first week of the new year.

The National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco) which purchased the vessel on behalf of the government announced on Saturday that the unavailability to refuel at the last scheduled stop at Cape Verde before sailing across the Atlantic Ocean caused the unexpected delay.

Bunkering services were unavailable owing to the Christmas holidays, Nidco stated and an alternative stop had been made at Las Palmas, Canary Islands to refuel before the vessel embarks on its voyage to TT.

Nidco said once there was good weather the vessel is expected to arrive by the first week of January.

The vessel, named APT James, in honour of the late Alphonso Philbert Theophilus James, a famed rights activist of Black Rock, Tobago who was elected to the Legislative Council in 1946.

It is one of two vessels purchased by the state in a government-to-government deal with the Australian government. The other vessel named after the famous Buccoo Reef of Tobago has been commissioned in Tasmania, Australia by shipbuilder Incat in early October and is expected to arrive in the first quarter of 2021.

The APT James was constructed in Vietnam by shipbuilders Austal and has the capacity to carry 926 passengers and 250 vehicles.

The upper deck is divided into a first-class section for 132 people and a separate economy section for the remaining passengers.

The vessel set sail from Vietnam on November 12 and arrived at Port of Galle in Sri Lanka six days later to refuel. It then journeyed to the Republic of Djibouti, in East Africa on November 25 to refuel and arrived at Suez Canal, Egypt three days later.

A look at the passenger seating in the new fast ferry APT James. - Photo courtesy Baird Maritime
The ferry had to make an unscheduled stop at Port Valletta, Malta on December 2 where it remained docked for several days owning to bad weather in the Mediterranean Sea, according to Nidco and arrived at the Port of Algecrias, Spain on December 18 before sailing to Las Palmas, Canary Islands on Christmas Day.

Nidco had stated that each of the five refuelling stops should have taken at least one day stay in the respective ports.

The last leg of the journey, an estimated 2,900 nautical miles, is final sailing in the 11,572 nautical miles away from Vietnam, halfway across the globe.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2021, 03:27:29 PM »

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 03:29:30 PM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »
What is this about ?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2021, 09:22:02 AM »
What is this about ?
Just wondering of Basic Maintenance. But not judging no 'book' by it's cover.

1]; } ?>