April 26, 2024, 03:16:13 PM

Author Topic: The Elusive American Dream  (Read 901 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
The Elusive American Dream
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:27:48 AM »
“In my heart, I’m American”: One man’s immigration nightmare of broken promises

Mikhel Crichlow’s Facebook News Feed frustrates him. On it, he can see updates from all of his friends and classmates from college: their internships. Their jobs. Their lives.

“I’ve pretty much not kept in touch with anyone from college, just because it’s so embarrassing to see how far they’ve gone,” Crichlow, 28, said without bitterness. “I’m pretty much stuck at the starting line.”

Crichlow was 16 years old when he arrived in the United States from his birthplace in Trinidad. He had always envisioned studying here to become an architect, and in 2001 he thought he had his chance.

Crichlow’s mother was one of hundreds of Caribbean teachers who arrived in New York at that time. According to the Black Institute, recruiters for New York City’s Department of Education promised teachers in the Caribbean work visas, green cards and the possibility of American citizenship for themselves and their families.

Immigration law allows workers to keep their children as dependents on their visas until the age of 21. That is what Crichlow and his mother did, believing that they would receive their green cards before then. But, when that didn’t happen, Crichlow needed to obtain a student visa instead. After graduation, the visa expired and, when he was unable to find a job during the depths of the recession in 2008, he became undocumented.
Continue Reading......
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive American Dream
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
Wow, know a few teachers personally who came up during this wave, one here in NY and 2 in Dallas, wasn't aware of this issue, as those 3 that I know did not run into that predicament with their children; wonder if there is any rhyme or reason as to who became undoc vs who did not.  At any rate, sad story, hope that is situation and others affected can be addressed w/some haste.  On another note, he resembles a Crichlow who went to Fatima, wonder if they related....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>