April 25, 2024, 11:48:18 PM

Author Topic: Marlon Rojas to play defensive midfield for Real Salt Lake  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marlon Rojas to play defensive midfield for Real Salt Lake
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:56:52 AM »
Marlon Rojas: Rojas will start on the left side of midfield, more forward than the left back position that he plays with Trinidad and Tobago. Rojas will prove valuable in a midfield that is short on defensive presence.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All NY based crew: watch Marlon Rojas on MSG right now
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 06:22:28 PM »
He on de starting 11 fuh Real Salt Lake

Sat Apr 02 04:00PM Pacific
Sat Apr 02 05:00PM Mountain
Sat Apr 02 06:00PM Central
Sat Apr 02 07:00PM Eastern
Length: 2 hr     LIVE
Madison Square Garden Network (MSG) - New York
Major League Soccer (MLS)
New York/New Jersey MetroStars vs Real Salt Lake

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: All NY based crew: watch Marlon Rojas on MSG right now
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »

How did he play?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: All NY based crew: watch Marlon Rojas on MSG right now
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:43:10 PM »
If you have broadband you can watch the MLS games.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/sights/index.jsp?club=mls

I not seeing Avery listed in New England's squad.

San Jose 2 - 2 New England   Right now in 75th min
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 11:39:04 PM by dcs »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rojas finding his legs after a busy week
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:52:35 AM »
By Michael C. Lewis (The Salt Lake Tribune)

Technically, midfielder Marlon Rojas was with Real Salt Lake when the soccer team played its inaugural game last weekend.  But his legs?  Maybe not so much.

Rojas had a hard time playing his best in the RSL opener against the MetroStars, after running the full 90 minutes for his Trinidad & Tobago national team in a World Cup qualifying match three days before the game, then traveling some 4,000 miles from Guatemala - through Trinidad, in the Caribbean Sea - to meet RSL in New Jersey.

"You just have to deal with it," he said, "because it comes with the sport." Happily, in fact.

While Rojas expects to be fresher when RSL plays at the Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday night, it's not as if he would rather give up the experience of trying to help his homeland qualify for the 2006 World Cup. That's a benefit the players generally cherish, even though allowing players to take leaves in order to play for their national teams can be a challenge for every team in Major League Soccer.

"It's the World Cup," teammate Eddie Pope said. "That's what everybody wants to do. You want to play on a World Cup team."

RSL's Dipsy Selolwane also played the MetroStars after playing for his Botswanian national team a week before the MLS opener, but it was Rojas whom coach John Ellinger sensed was wearing down the most in the savage weather at Giants Stadium. He substituted for Rojas in the second half, and expects the relative rest he's getting this week will make a big difference against the Galaxy at the Home Depot Center.

"We think that's a huge plus for Marlon," Ellinger said. "Marlon can obviously show, we think, a lot more going forward than he showed in New York."

Not only have Rojas and Selolwane missed time from their MLS clubs, but teammates Clint Mathis, Eddie Pope, Jason Kreis and Brian Dunseth all have represented the U.S. national team at various times, while midfielder Andy Williams plays for the Jamaican national team.

Only the Americans in that group figure to reach the World Cup, however.

Trinidad & Tobago and Botswana are near the bottom of their qualifying groups and probably will not advance - Trinidad played a scoreless draw with Costa Rica in its latest game and then fired its coach, and Botswana lost 1-0 to Kenya - while Jamaica already has been eliminated.

Still, the opportunity to play against a higher caliber of competition is invaluable to the players.

"It's always good," Pope said. "There's always something about being gone, and trying to get back into the swing of things with your team. But anytime you leave and go play at a higher level, it's a good thing. It makes you better as a player when you come back. It's going to make training better, it's going to make your teammates better around you. It's a bonus."

The bonus for RSL is that Rojas will be at full speed against the Galaxy, after barely touching the ball after halftime against the MetroStars in part because the strong wind kept pushing the ball away from him.

"Still, you're wearing yourself out running up and running back," Ellinger said. "Defensively, he did what we wanted him to do. We just want to try to get him a little more offense."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marlon Rojas signs with the Atlanta Silverbacks.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 07:02:56 PM »
Marlon Rojas signs with the Atlanta Silverbacks.
atlantasilverbacks.com.

The Atlanta Silverbacks Men have added three former MLS players to the 2006 roster: Marlon Rojas (Real Salt Lake), Scott Buete (Chicago Fire) and Shaun Kalnasy (Chivas USA).  All three players reported to preseason and have begun training with the full squad.
Marlon Rojas, 5-8, 172, joins the Silverbacks after spending part of the 2005 season with Real Salt Lake where he started in six games for the team. Rojas, a former Trinidad and Tobago national team player, came to the United States to attend St. John’s University for his freshman season. Rojas finished his collegiate career at the University of Tampa where he helped his team win the 2001 NCAA Division II Championship. He was also named to the 2001 NCAA Division II All-Tournament Team. After he finished his eligibility with Tampa, Rojas returned to Trinidad and Tobago to play for professional side, Joe Public FC.
“Coach Smith is putting together a good team and I’m looking forward to playing with the guys he has brought together. I’ve been training and getting ready to play with the Silverbacks this summer and hopefully represent my country as well,” said Rojas.
The Trinidad and Tobago National Team qualified for the 2006 World Cup, while Rojas isn’t currently on the roster, he says he hopes to be called up to play for the team and represent his country. By signing with the Silverbacks, Rojas has regained “active status” which makes him eligible for the national team. Rojas has around 30 national team caps and hopes to add to that number this summer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 05:38:48 AM by Flex »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Marlon Rojas due to make debut
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »
Former Trini Soca star due to make debut.
The Royal Gazette.

Former Trinidad international Marlon Rojas is set to make his much-anticipated Bermuda Hogges' debut in their demanding double-header against Wilmington Hammerheads, writes Stephen Wright.

The tough tackling midfielder, who won 23 international caps, officially joined Hogges earlier this week and is likely to feature in at least one of their matches against high-flying Hammerheads.

Rojas' eligibility serves as a timely boost for coach Kyle Lightbourne whose team could go top of the table tonight for the first time in the franchise's history if they beat Hammerheads and other results go their way.

The 29-year-old boasts an impressive football resum having graced the MLS with Real Salt Lake and was a virtual ever-present during the Soca Warriors' history-making 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Agonisingly for Rojas, he was robbed a place in the squad for Germany after he lost his contract at Real Salt Lake due to the number of matches he was missing while on international duty.

He almost joined Hogges last season on the recommendation of Somerset Trojans assistant coach Brian Iris, who spotted Rojas while playing for Somerset Eagles in the First Division, but the proposed move eventually broke down.

However, team president Shaun Goater is thrilled to have him onboard for this season and has been impressed with the ex-Atlanta Silverbacks player's touch and vision in training.

"Marlon has excellent awareness, vision and a calmness on the ball and we're delighted to have him onboard," said Goater. "He's a terrific player and you can tell straight away that he's played at a higher level.

"Once he's in full flow for us I think he will be an excellent addition. He's been quiet so far but he's still getting to know the rest of the boys.

"He's still a young guy so maybe this could be the start of a professional comeback for him."

Hogges play Hammerheads tonight at 8 p.m. and on Sunday at 7 p.m. Both games will be held at the National Sports Centre.

also:

New-look BAA set to become Hogges' permanent home

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marlon Rojas signs with the Atlanta Silverbacks.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 01:42:45 AM »
Ex-TT footballer hails input of St Clair in his career.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

FORMER NATIONAL footballer Marlon Rojas is publicly expressing his appreciation for the input that ex-T&T coach Bertille St Clair had on his career.

The 39-year-old Rojas played 23 internationals for T&T between 2004 and 2005 as a left-back, during St Clairs second reign as national mens team coach.

During a recent interview, Rojas spoke of the role St Clair played in his career, his time on the T&T team and his life since retirement.

JOEL BAILEY (JB): Youll like to publicly say thanks for the role Bertille St Clair made in his life, especially as a footballer...

MARLON ROJAS (MR): Just going about your daily life, I often reflect on the impact the coaches had in my life. We become adults, your life takes shape, after going through youth programmes as an athlete. While I have appreciation for all the coaches that Ive passed through, I think hes definitely one that always stand out. Not taking anything away from the other coaches, they all played a strong part in my development, but St Clair was one, and I can speak for a lot of athletes and players who would say he (brought) out the best in you, if you wanted to bring it out.

He was there to ask of all when you hit that field to train, that was basically where all the hard work was put in. When you trained with St Clair, you really learnt to sacrifice and work hard. That, I think, really helped shape our lives for the future. I always wanted to say thanks. I dont see him on the scene anymore and Ill like to recognise his contribution publicly because you never see it until someone has passed. Thats what I want to do, say to Mr St Clair thanks for the work you put in with all of us as athletes. I think it goes a long way for how our lives has become. Im very content with the path that my life has taken and I owe it a lot to all the hard work some of the coaches have put into my time. Apart from schoolwork, being an athlete shaped you to better take on all the other challenges.

JB: Have you kept in touch with St Clair at all?

MR: Ive never been in touch with him since when I was a player under him. It was the last time I probably had any interaction with him. I dont know his whereabouts or anything about him.

JB: Have you tried any of your past teammates to see if they can get in touch with St Clair on his behalf ?

MR: Im not really in contact with any of the players either. Very rare I speak to anyone who I played ball with unless, for some reason, I bump into them. Im not a heavy user of Facebook either, even though Im on it. Tiger (Leslie Fitzpatrick) is probably the only player that Im tight with.

JB: Since you retired from active football, what have you been doing with yourself?

MR: Ever since Ive stopped playing at that level, Ive been working. I went to school and now I work at a bank (as) an assistant manager of financial crime in Bermuda. Outside of football, work has been good to me. Ive been able to work and live in Luxembourg and Bermuda as a compliance officer. Now Im an anti-money laundering officer at HSBC Bermuda.

JB: How was life in Luxembourg?

MR: It was great. When we were into sport, you travel and see the countries you visited from the lens of an athlete. Then as a worker, as an employee, you get to really take in a bit more and enjoy different cultures that a country might have to offer. And Luxembourg was one country that had a very diverse culture because it was a business capital.

I worked in that field which afforded me the opportunity to live in Europe for a bit, and it was absolutely great. I would say to all athletes, really balance school and your sport so you can afford yourself opportunities after playing. There is no way, if I didnt mesh it well, that I would have given myself an opportunity, outside of football, to go and visit other countries and enjoy some of the things that well take for granted.

JB: Are you still involved in football?

MR: I do, I still play and up until (recently) I coached in Bermuda. I coached every year since I stopped playing and play recreationally. I coach in one of the clubs in Bermuda, Somerset Eagles. Ive been with that one club in Bermuda ever since Ive been on and off the island. I play at least 30 minutes in a game. I try to limit the minutes so I can at least have fun and not be dying.

Its great, but the life I live now I would say was shaped largely around the efforts that was put in, while I was a student-athlete, and listening to the directions and the (demands) of the coaches. And one particular coach that really helped shape my career in T&T was Mr St Clair.

JB: TT football has gone through tough times since 2006, what will you attribute to that?

MR: Definitely the talent is still there. I do check out the games on (SportsMax). You see the skill. I think it has digressed a bit, but the skill is definitely there. From my view, the organisation on a whole suffers from the management level. Some of the issues I see raised today (are) genuine issues. I like the call, without taking sides, that (Keith) Look Loy is fighting. From my vantage point, it looks like a good call.

Ill like to see that follow through. Those things trickle down to the grassroot level and if (the administration) is being run that is not transparent, that can affect everything. Ill like to see football come back to that stage where the passion is there at all levels. Right now its definitely broken up and its affecting everything.

JB: During your playing days, the majority of T&T players abroad were in Europe, thats not the case now. Why is that? Is it due to our current FIFA ranking?

MR: It could be. Im not on the ground to see how much desire that players have. In my time, it was a competition each time we take the field, at the club level, at the schoolboy level and at the national team, and you got good results. The struggles of the organisation are seeping into the football and its really causing it to be fragmented. You cant really get the best out of the boys if you have a fragmented organisation.

Its going to affect our football to rise again for many years to come. The economic situation in Trinidad, Im sure, doesnt help as well. Its no one issue our sports is facing, its coming from all different angles.

JB: What will you consider your high point as a footballer?

MR: The biggest memory that I keep with me is the relationship that I shared with the guys while playing. The relationship you build with the guys is there for a lifetime. I have great experiences with playing, travelling and having fun, you (can) meet a guy 20 years later and you easily pick right back up as if you saw that person yesterday. I think thats something that the young ones should really keep in mind, the relationship you can get through sport, nothing in the world can give you that opportunity.

JB: Family life, how is that like?

MR: Family life is really great at the moment. I have two kids, a seven-year-old (Tamia) and a four-year-old (Matteo). They keep me laughing, theyre brilliant and theyre always surprising me. My wife (Shimikah) does a great job. We actually met when I went to the University of Tampa (in Florida, United States). Shes from Bermuda, hence the Bermuda connection. Were just doing well and trying to achieve what every family would at this time, at the home, financial security, those kind of things.

Weve lived in Bermuda, Luxembourg, Basel (in Switzerland) and were now settled down and trying to raise the kids. Were actually moving from Bermuda and back to the US sometime soon. Thats going to be the final base I think.

JB: Have they visited Trinidad before?

MR: They love Trinidad, my wife has been coming here ever since college. She loves the Carnival, the food, everything you know a tourist enjoys. She comes here and wants to eat everything. She loves the food and has learnt to cook a few things. The kids love it down here and they keep in touch with Skype, so they dont miss a beat with my mother (Yvonne) and my siblings on Whatsapp video calls. They love the accent and Im having fun with them.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>