April 27, 2024, 01:58:43 PM

Author Topic: FC Dallas signs draft pick Nicholas Walker  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FC Dallas signs draft pick Nicholas Walker
« on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »
FC Dallas signs draft pick Nicholas Walker
FC Dallas Media Services

FC Dallas has signed first and third-round draft picks Tesho Akindele and Nicholas Walker (pending Walker’s P-1 Visa). Per league policy, terms of the deals will not be disclosed.

The club selected Akindele with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas, and then later added Walker in the third round.

A native of Thornton, Colo., Akindele played four seasons for the Colorado School of Mines where the 6’1” forward became the school’s all-time goals leader with 76 goals scored. He ranked second in the nation in goals scored in 2012 with 22 and was named a First Team NSCAA All-American and the 2012 RMAC Offensive Player of the Year for his efforts. Also an NSCAA First Team All-American and the RMAC Freshman of the Year in 2010, Akindele was the first player in the history of his school’s conference to score three consecutive hat tricks.

Walker, selected with the fifth pick in the third round (43rd overall), was a two-time all-North Atlantic region first team selection at Fairleigh Dickinson. The 24-year-old center back was also named 2013 Northeast Conference Defender of the Year as a senior. Walker started 69 of the 71 games he played as a four-year starter for the Knights. He finished his collegiate career with four goals.

FC Dallas opens the 2014 season at Toyota Stadium on March 8 against the Montreal Impact, presented by AdvoCare.

Transaction:  Signed F Tesho Akindele, D Nicholas Walker
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FC Dallas signs draft pick Nicholas Walker
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
Nice.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
Great news! All the best.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
Don't know who is N. Walker. Response sounding like he has a link to T&T. Anybody can explain?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:42:52 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
Don't know who is N. Walker. Response sounding like he has a link to T&T? Anybody can explain.

Nicholas Walker 

Defender 

Current Club: FC Dallas
Height: 6' 3"
Weight: 190 lbs.
Birth Date: 01-23-1990
Birthplace: Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
Don't know who is N. Walker. Response sounding like he has a link to T&T? Anybody can explain.

Former St. Mary's College and T&T U-20 and U-23 defender.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the posts. I understand now.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:41 AM »
POTENTIALLY the next "Tallest"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nicholas Walker shows potential
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:21 AM »
Nicholas Walker shows potential
By Steve Hunt (Dallas Morning News)

Nicholas Walker concedes he never thought he’d be taken in last month’s MLS Super Draft. So when a former college teammate at Fairleigh Dickinson called him in his native Trinidad and Tobago with news that FC Dallas had drafted him in the third round, he was a bit surprised.

“I was ecstatic,” Walker said. “I’d never been here, didn’t know anything about it, but didn’t mind it. It did not matter to me. I’m just glad for the opportunity to be here.”

The 24-year-old center back accompanied FCD on its trip to the United Arab Emirates between Jan. 30 and Feb. 12. He played in both games against BK Hacken of Sweden and feels good about both performances with his new club.

“It was more of just me showing what I had to the team. It was more about business,” Walker said.

Walker did not accompany Dallas on last week’s trip to Bradenton, Fla., instead returning home to secure some necessary paperwork. But while Walker hasn’t played in nearly two weeks, it’s clear that new FCD coach Oscar Pareja sees great potential in him.

“I like his attitude. I like the whole package. I think he’s a player who needs a lot of work still and he knows it, which is good,” Pareja said. “It’s encouraging to see that there are a lot of tools there that can be molded and we can use in the team. I’m excited to work with someone like Nicholas.”

Later this week, FCD will set its 30-man roster, and Walker hopes to be part of it. “I’m not worrying about that. I’m just going to play and whatever happens, happens,” he said.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:03 AM »
I hope they keep him, the MLS does sign players and release them in 2 weeks just to get the rights to them.

They did Damani Richards and Uriah Bentick de same thing.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Get to know FC Dallas’ Nicholas Walker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Get to know FC Dallas’ Nicholas Walker
By Steve Hunt (The Dallas Morning News)

One player who we honestly don’t know a lot about is 2014 third-round pick Nicholas Walker, the center back from Fairleigh Dickinson in New Jersey. Walker, who hails from Trinidad and Tobago, accompanied FC Dallas on their trip to the United Arab Emirates and played in both matches against BK Hacken. However, he did not travel to Florida last week because he had some paperwork to get taken care of back in his Caribbean home country. I caught up with him after training on Tuesday and here’s what he had to say.

How do you think you did in the two matches against BK Hacken during the UAE trip?

Walker:
It was hard to adjust, coming from college. It was different, much faster. But I think I did well. I did OK I’ll say. I showed what I had and that’s why I’m here today.

What has been the biggest difference you’ve noticed in the pro game thus far?

Walker:
The speed of the game, definitely. (You need) more fitness because it’s way faster and it takes more decision making, but that’s the only difference I think.

Talk about what qualities you feel like you bring to FCD.

Walker
: I think my speed is to my advantage. I’m not as technical as the rest of the defenders here, but I do have the speed on my side to help me.

Your country has produced several MLS players, like Cordell Cato of San Jose. How much do you want to follow in their footsteps and also do well in the league?

Walker:
I’m trying. All we need in Trinidad is the opportunity to get out and the ones that get the opportunity, you can see we’ve done really well for ourselves. So I’m just trying to be another one out here and show what I have.

Discuss how long you’ve been in the States.

Walker:
This is my fourth year. I left college early. I graduated in three and a half years, so this would have been finishing my fourth year.

What did you do after graduating from FDU early?

Walker:
I went home and kicked right back for like a month.

Did you ever think getting drafted was a possibility?

Walker:
To be honest, I wasn’t even following the draft. I did not think that I would be drafted at all, so I didn’t watch it. Just one day, I was home and got a phone call from my teammate here in the States saying that I had been drafted. I was ecstatic.

WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING ABOUT NICHOLAS WALKER

D MOISES HERNANDEZ

He’s a good person first. He’s a good teammate. He’s good in the air. He gives a good long ball, so he’s going to be a good player this year helping our team forward. That’s what we want.

GK CHRIS SEITZ

He’s good. I think obviously missed him a little bit in Florida, but he’s one of those guys that sees the field well. He’s aggressive. He’s strong in the air and he’s also good with his feet, something that no one really talks about, but he definitely has some good skill on his feet. We’re all comfortable with him. He’s one of those guys that fits in well and really does exactly what a lot of our center backs do-likes to bang and win headers and definitely make it hard on their forwards.

He showed really well in Dubai. I think everyone’s really happy with him and he’s one of those guys that fits in well. So we’re obviously going to welcome him to the team and all that, so it’s been good.

FCD HEAD COACH OSCAR PAREJA

I like his attitude. I like the whole package. I think he’s a player who needs a lot of work still and he knows it, which is good. And for me, it’s encouraging to see that there are a lot of tools there that can be molded and we can use in the team and probably has a very good project for the future. So, I’m excited to work with someone like Nicholas.

He’s a very strong candidate to make it (our opening-day roster), yes.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
Congrats to Nicholas Walker.

Interesting that a country that was pretty much known only for producing attacking players has in the past few years been fairly consistently producing defenders now and not so much attacking players.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
Just made his MLS debut

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nicholas Walker loaned to Bayamón FC of the Puerto Rican Soccer League
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
Nicholas Walker loaned to Bayamón FC of the Puerto Rican Soccer League
FC Dallas Media Services

FC Dallas has loaned center back Nicholas Walker to Bayamón FC, pending the receipt of his ITC, the club announced today.

Selected in the third round (43rd overall) of the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, Walker has logged 405 minutes with the FC Dallas Reserves (3-2-0) this season. The 6-3 native of Trinidad and Tobago also started and played 70 minutes in a recent friendly against Barclays Premier League side, Aston Villa.

Walker played four years with Fairleigh Dickinson University from 2010 to 2013. Twice, he was named to the all-North Atlantic region first team. The 24-year-old was also named 2013 Northeast Conference Defender of the Year as a senior. He started 69 of the 71 games he played for the Knights, finishing his collegiate career with four goals.

Puerto Rico Bayamón FC is scheduled to make its CONCACAF Champions League debut this Thursday, Aug. 7, against Guatemalan side Comunicaciones. Bayamón F.C. qualified for CCL play by winning Group 1 in the 2014 Caribbean Football Union Club Championship. The Puerto Rican club was drawn into Group 8 with Comunicaciones (Guatemala) and Club America (Mexico).

Nicholas Walker
DOB: Jan. 23, 1990
HT: 6’3”
WT: 190
Birthplace: Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Hometown: Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Position: Defender
College: Fairleigh Dickinson
Citizenship:  Trinidad and Tobago
Transaction: FC Dallas loans Nicholas Walker (D) to Bayamón FC

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
is Bayamón he is now?...he will like it there man...i will start to check up on their results to see how he is doing

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »
Good size for a CB...hope he continues to develop.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 08:26:12 AM »
Odd move on their part. Usually you loan out a player because they're low in your pecking order but you want them to get playing time so they can develop. So, good for him. However, I just saw where they brought in a new CB because they're short on defenders. So I'm wondering what's really going on here.  ??? ???

Hopefully he gets some regular games.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
Well he played whole game last night in a 5-0 drubbing by Comunicaciones...seems he played in midfield also

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2014/08/08/nc-america/concacaf-champions-league/csd-comunicaciones/bayamon-fc/1760601/

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Well he played whole game last night in a 5-0 drubbing by Comunicaciones...seems he played in midfield also

http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2014/08/08/nc-america/concacaf-champions-league/csd-comunicaciones/bayamon-fc/1760601/

Soccarwayand CONCACAF could be wrong about that- their (Soccerway's) T&T v Argentina lineup had Yohance Marshall at leftback for ages. It's possible that he was in defence, especially given that two central defenders were subbed for midfielders according to CONCACAF's lineup. Could be though - doesn't he moonlight as a DM from time to time?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
WATCH Nicholas Walker score his first goal as a professional footballer. It happens during Bayamón FC’s CONCACAF Champions League match against Club América at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City, Mexico.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8P10nMJS3n8?start=132" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8P10nMJS3n8?start=132</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
FC Dallas has declined the 2015 contract option for Nicholas Walker.
http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2014/12/fc-dallas-announces-roster-moves-ahead-2014-expansion-draft

1]; } ?>