March 28, 2024, 10:54:45 AM

Author Topic: President Anthony Carmona Thread  (Read 25375 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: President Anthony Carmona Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »
Now I not exactly a Rachel Price fan for various reasons. However my biggest concern is the fact that the office of the president initiated this action. Not Mrs Carmona. Not Mr. Carmona in his private capacity. The Office of the President. Isn't that a bit concerning? The one odd occasion we have definitive action on an issue by the president... Is because of this?

Yeah Rachel Price could be out of place at times. Especially given that this happened a few weeks ago... This issue would and could have been forgotten... Aside from how much Rachel could milk from it in her show.

But this is concerning. And no I don't think she should have worn that.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »
Now I not exactly a Rachel Price fan for various reasons. However my biggest concern is the fact that the office of the president initiated this action. Not Mrs Carmona. Not Mr. Carmona in his private capacity. The Office of the President. Isn't that a bit concerning?

I love Trinidad, but ah doh miss it.  This is pure farce.  In any other developed/developing nation this would properly be the source of much laughter.  In order to bring suit you have to be an aggrieved party... and no, ketching feelings fuh yuh wife doesn't count.  In legal terms, Carmona in his private capacity lacks standing (or locus standi, if yuh feeling fancy).  Carmona in is official capacity also lacks standing.  The "Office of the President" is not a legal person, just like POTUS is not a legal person, Barack Obama is.  Therefore, how can the "Office of the President" be defamed?  Funny, if it wasn't such a sad commentary on the state of things in Trinidad. 

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 04:59:02 AM »

I cant believe all this shit.
 I see absolutely nothing wrong with what she wore. We are Trinidadians and our women wear fashionable out fits. The cost of that dress is probably more than most of our monthly salaries. On the one hand we talking about freedom of expression and on the other hand lambasting the woman for showing some skin. When celebrities show massive cleavage not a word.
We just full of double standards maybe she should dress like Taliban.

The real issue here as far as I see it is freedom of speech. If yuh fraid powder doh play mas !!!

You are now a public figure and open to scrutiny by the public and if the small minded view allows a comedian our somebody else like say a calysonian to make fun of a situation then so be it. Rachel Price has not crossed any decency barriers that we are accustomed to and does not deserve this action by this " moral" President.

But my personal view is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with what the lady wore

Yes we do have a double standard here, she is not a celebrity she is the wife of our head of state, and she's representing the nation at a diplomatic function for UN heads of state.

What should we judge this dress code on?
The lady in the picture with her is Asian and that her outfit is traditional. We have not seen a picture of any of the other women at the function. If you look at the background the pictures appear to be fashion type. To make an even handed judgement we need more information about the event itself and how the other people who attended it were attired. This is a photgrapher knowing the Trinidadian love for bacchanal isolating her
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:37 AM »
You right. This boils down to a photographer with an agenda. Kams was liming with Spiderman normal normal in the formal setting so why not.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »
You right. This boils down to a photographer with an agenda. Kams was liming with Spiderman normal normal in the formal setting so why not.

I wonder if fishs listening to himself. The fella insulting people's intelligence just like the PPG regularly does.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:47:01 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what she wore. We are Trinidadians and our women wear fashionable out fits. The cost of that dress is probably more than most of our monthly salaries. On the one hand we talking about freedom of expression and on the other hand lambasting the woman for showing some skin. When celebrities show massive cleavage not a word.

The real issue here as far as I see it is freedom of speech. If yuh fraid powder doh play mas !!!

You are now a public figure and open to scrutiny by the public and if the small minded view allows a comedian our somebody else like say a calysonian to make fun of a situation then so be it. Rachel Price has not crossed any decency barriers that we are accustomed to and does not deserve this action by this " moral" President.

But my personal view is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with what the lady wore

Yes we do have a double standard here, she is not a celebrity she is the wife of our head of state, and she's representing the nation at a diplomatic function for UN heads of state.

The lady in the picture with her is Asian and that her outfit is traditional. We have not seen a picture of any of the other women at the function. If you look at the background the pictures appear to be fashion type. To make an even handed judgement we need more information about the event itself and how the other people who attended it were attired. This is a photgrapher knowing the Trinidadian love for bacchanal isolating her

The Asian lady is Mrs Ban Soon-Taek, wife of United Nations General Secretary, Ban Ki-Moon. The event was the Fashion 4 Development's annual First Ladies Luncheon.

"Fashion 4 Development’s Official First Ladies Annual Luncheon takes place during the United Nation’s General Assembly at the historic Pierre Hotel in New York City. This high level gathering unites First Ladies, Diplomats, Fashion VIP’s and other key influencers from around the globe to recognize and celebrate the unprecedented cooperation between Diplomacy & Fashion for the greater good of Women and Children worldwide."
  ( http://www.fashion4development.com/)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »

ENT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »
It will be nice to see how the other ladies were dressed.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »
It will be nice to see how the other ladies were dressed.

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
 I think that the woman is elegantly dressed.
 Why would anyone one in Trinidad be  offended? I've watched your Carnival where the women dress like sluts and dance like whores and this is celebrated

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »
 Why would anyone one in Trinidad be  offended? I've watched your Carnival where the women dress like sluts and dance like whores and this is celebrated

Right. Is a traditional Trinidad outfit.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »

Right. Is a traditional Trinidad outfit.

Mmm that wasn't carnival, though. There's a time and a place for everything. Anyway, although I'm sure she was criticised for what she wore by the public, I think the real furore is over the President's threat to sue...
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »

Fishs you can't be serious.  We should judge it based on the fact that it was a UN event for First Ladies and she was representing the nation as such, she wasn't there in her private capacity.  Ban Ki Moon's wife wasn't wearing a "traditional" Asian outfit, she's wearing an evening jacket over a dress.  The photographer wasn't Trinidadian... this just shows that yuh commenting and ent even self realize what yuh really commenting on.

http://looptt.com/2014/09/26/first-lady-attends-un-events-nyc/

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

Dude, Carnival is Carnival. This is not carnival. But I have no issue with her or the dress. It may be a bit risque for the occasion, though. But like everyone some have noted that she is the Prez. wife. Whether or not the Prez. like it, the TT public has its eyes glued on her. She is a trend setter. Just like the royal family or the wives of heads of state. And Dude, watch your mouth on our women.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:55:23 PM by Deeks »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
 Whole episode .. silly

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
Whole episode .. silly

Actually, I agree.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »
People John Wayne and John Benwah  of i95Fm had me dying with laugh a minute ago ,John Wayne was asking where was the president sleeping a month before he became the President also who is Boysie ?

He was asking if Boysie was the milkman or the man who attend to the pool ?

What is Boysie relationship with the Prez family ? Prez I feel you would be sorry you started this thing with Rachel.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
President holds his tongue
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
President holds his tongue
By Jada Loutoo Saturday, October 25 2014 (T&T Newsday)

President Anthony Carmona has decided to maintain public silence on his threat to sue comedienne and radio talk-show personality Rachel Price for comments she made about his wife’s attire on the air. The President is following the advice of his attorneys not to discuss the issue publicly.

In a brief statement yesterday, the Office of the President said His Excellency and his wife, Reema, had engaged in a “private and confidential relationship with Senior Counsel concerning matters that (had) arisen recently in the public domain.”

“Their Excellencies have been advised by Senior Counsel not to disclose the nature and content of those discussions emanating thereof. The action of Their Excellencies will be guided by Senior Counsel’s advice on said matters,” the three line statement concluded.

On Wednesday, the President’s House, in a media release, disclosed that the Office of the President had obtained legal advice from senior counsel, “regarding certain offensive statements recently made by a radio talk show host.”

President’s House stated a pre-action protocol letter was issued to Price two Fridays ago, “in respect of certain defamatory statements.” This, President’s House said, was done, “on behalf of Her Excellency Reema Carmona and the Office of the President.”

The full text of the letter from the President has not been released by President’s House. The allegedly defamatory remarks have also not been identified. Up to yesterday, Price, on her morning radio programme on RED 96.7 FM was adamant that she received no lawyer’s letter.

Questions sent to the President’s House information officer Theron Boodan on the issue were not answered and instead the three-line statement was issued indicating the President and Mrs Carmona will not be speaking on the matter, on the advice of Senior Counsel.

On Thursday, former President George Maxwell Richards described as “highly unusual” the decision of the President to issue the legal letter threatening lawsuit against Price.

Questions were also raised on whether the State is funding the intended legal action and whether the alleged defamation against Mrs Carmona extended to the President and the Office of the President.

In its statement on Wednesday, President’s House said, “Unwarranted attacks which cross the line into defamation and which seek to bring members of the family of His Excellency the President and by extension the Office of the President into disrepute will not be tolerated.” Legal sources said for defamation to be proved, the words complained of must be “untrue.”

“It is difficult to say if criticisms of someone’s dress can be construed as defamation unless we know what are the words complained of,” our legal sources concluded.

Price did not respond to calls and messages.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:33:59 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
In another thread,  I raised the question as to what powers over parliament does the president have? The president appears to possess the academic credentials, the legal mind and experience to discern right from wrong. However I am miffed by what appears to be a lack of assertiveness in taking a stance against apparent government mismanagement, alleged incompetence in most ministries and the inability of some ministries to achieve results in some of the 'major issues' to rock this government's tenure.
Today now I am reading in the Trinidad Express, of allowances awarded to the president. Now tell me what is the justification for this sum of money given :
His financial status
The requirements of his position
The state of public civil servants who are working for less
The earlier outcry of underpaid police officers
The lack of funding given to sports- ie the debacle of the Women's Soca Warriors

Regardless of who initiated the application for these funds, shouldn't our honourable president not stand up and refuse the transaction given his ability to discern? Or are we to decipher that this application was done without his knowledge or approval? If so I wonder who has the moral authority to make those decisions without his approval? This leads me again to ask what powers does our president really have to intervene in matters of government mismanagement?

Trinidad Express
Date: November 11 2014

Volney: Carmona got bad advice
Former minister Herbert Volney said yesterday President Anthony Carmona got bad advice on the issue of his receiving a tax-free $28,000 monthly allowance in addition to accepting State-provided accommodation. “I do believe that it is very embarrassing for the President that he has found himself in these circumstances and I think that the Cabinet would have to approve some sort of measure that he does not have to pay back the money because it was not his fault,” he said. The President would have collected approximately $588,000 tax free since his assumption to office in housing allowance. Volney, who like the President was a former judge, pointed out that “as a judge we know that you either take the house (State-provided accommodation) or you take the (housing) allowance. There is no ‘and’. As a judge we would have known that the choice was either/or. But then he is the President,” Volney said. He, however, added: “His (Carmona’s) own experience as a judge should have put him on guard.”

Additionally , from the same newspaper comes another article from the 'Voice of Reason'- I say this tongue and cheek- that of anyone who should call for giving money back-lol

Trinidad Express
November 11 2014
Jack: Give back $$

Independent Liberal Part (ILP) leader and Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner said yesterday the President was not entitled to receive a housing allowance and State housing at the same time. “He is not entitled to that money and he should give it back, uncompromisingly” Warner said, referring to the tax-free $28,000 housing allowance given to the President, in addition to State-provided housing at Flagstaff Hill. “He has set a bad example and it means that all the hopes which people had in him as a harbinger of good news and respect and accountability have now been dashed,” Warner said.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:33:10 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
Yuh need to start from the top to lay the context.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/SRC-head-mum-on-perks-281712921.html

Eh have much to say...we just need an explanation as to why a housing allowance being paid if you already getting state accommodation in Flagstaff no less.

And in other news.....Mrs. Carmona seems to be cautious about revealing skin now:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
Oh what a tangled web...
Story Created: Nov 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM ECT (T&T Express)

As is now generally known, the Salaries Review Commission (SRC) is the only body empowered under the Constitution to make recommendations for the salary and benefits package for the Office of the President and some 300 other senior offices in the machinery of State.

The SRC’s recommendations are submitted in the form of a report to Cabinet and then, if Cabinet is so min­-
­ded, the report is laid in Parliament and the provisions become implementable. This last step is critical as we shall see.

The latest report from the SRC, in listing the pay and benefit recommendations for the Office of the President with respect to housing, states:

“Housing—Official resi­den­­ces, fully furnished and main­tained by the State with the neces­sary complement of household staff.

Where the official residence is not available for use by the President, and suitable alternative accommodation is not provided, an allowance of $28,000 per month.”

This recommendation is presented in clear and unambiguous language. And it is now the law, having been properly laid in Parliament as part of the SRC’s Report after Cabinet had passed judgment on the report in its entirety.

So what is the problem with President Anthony Carmona receiving the $28,000 per month allowance, tax-free or otherwise? In accordance with parliamentary authorisation, he must be paid the allowance “where the official residence is not available for use [by the President] and suitable alternative accommodation is not provided”. And therein lies the rub.

Someone had to make a judgment as to whether or not the “official residence” currently occupied by the President and his staff is “suitable”. Clearly, the assessment has been made that the current alternative accommodation is not suitable. Ergo, the allowance of $28,000 is payable. There is no mystery. The Ministers of Finance and Public Administration and the Head of the Public Service have nothing to answer. The allowance being paid to President Carmona is entirely lawful.

The only real issue here is whether or not the decision that the current accommodation provided for the President is unsuitable is correct or not. But who or what body is empowered to question this assessment that the accommodation is unsuitable? And assuming that this can be answered satisfactorily, how can the Chief Personnel Officer’s (CPO) interpretation/decision be legally reversed?

Meanwhile, in addition to salary and benefits, taxpayers will continue to pay $28,000 a month to the President for housing while, at the same time, footing the bill for four “unsuitable” apartments/units in Flagstaff Hill for the President and his staff.

Ashton S Brereton
via e-mail

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
I saw that letter today and considered it's points. I see the argument.... And while it isn't president's house..... Flagstaff isn't really a bad accommodation. So if that was the rationale that the policy specifically states president's house... And the interpretation allows it to be interpreted as such... Fine.

Wonder when the chairman of the integrity commission getting appointed?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 05:01:45 AM »
BREAK YOUR SILENCE
AG calls on SRC chairman to speak up on President’s $28,000 housing allowance
By Stories by Ria Taitt Political Editor

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is calling on chairman of the Salaries Review Commission (SRC) Edward Collier to break his silence and provide details “in the public interest” on the matter involving the payment of a $28,000 tax-free housing allowance to President Anthony Carmona..

“His silence is causing unnecessary consternation and disquiet and has the potential to bring the office of the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO) and the President into disrepute. He (Collier) therefore has a duty to clear the air on this matter,” Ramlogan said in a statement last night.

The Attorney General noted that the CPO by convention was secretary to the SRC and it was in this capacity that she wrote the correspondence, dated July 9, 2013, giving approval for the payment of a housing allowance to the President.

The President receives the unprecedented benefit of a tax-free housing allowance in addition to State-provided accommodation at Flagstaff Hill.

The Attorney General noted that the CPO, on her own, did not have the legal capacity to recommend and approve the housing allowance for the President.

Any such directive would have to come from the SRC, he suggested.

“The secretary of the SRC (the CPO) cannot, of her own volition, make a decision on the President’s housing allowance. That is a matter for the SRC alone. The advice of the secretary is not in any way binding on the members of the SRC. The CPO is not a member of the SRC,” said the AG.

“The SRC is the only body in law that could deal with the terms and conditions of the Office of the President.

It is a legal route by which the President’s allowance could have been paid. Since the Government had no knowledge about this matter, perhaps the time has come for the chairman of the SRC, Mr Edward Collier, to break his silence on this matter in the public interest and provide the necessary clarification regarding its role (if any) in this matter. His silence is causing unnecessary consternation and disquiet and has the potential to bring the office of the CPO and the President into disrepute. He therefore has a duty to clear the air on this matter,” Ramlogan stated.

Collier has thus far refused to comment on the President’s housing allowance, stating that the SRC does not comment publicly on such matters.

“What is in the (SRC) report is in the report,” he told the Express a week ago.

Ramlogan was responding yesterday to statements made by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley at the PNM’s annual convention, at which he accused Government of knowing about the housing allowance since last year.

Charging the Government with deception, Rowley said: “They would have you believe that they did not know that the President was receiving a hefty housing allowance whilst having a suite of accommodation available to him.

“Let me tell you that this matter was raised in a Public Accounts Committee meeting in the presence of the Government since last year and the Government simply chose to look the other way. Now we have the Attorney General telling us that the CPO is independent and the Government is helpless in this situation,” he added.

Rowley said the Government was not powerless when it gave an “edict” to the CPO that she was not to settle for anything but five per cent with the public sector unions.

“We wait to see who will guide the next Public Service negotiations, since the CPO is independent. You simply can’t trust them (the Government) with anything they tell you,” the PNM leader declared.

On Rowley’s claim that the issue of the President’s housing allowance was raised last year at meeting of the Public Accounts Committee, Ramlogan said Rowley failed to provide any specifics as to who raised it and when.

“These meetings are held in public and televised. No one from the media reported on it and the PNM remained silent on the matter until now?” he asked.

“Assuming, but not admitting, that Dr Rowley’s allegation is true, why did HE remain silent on the matter for over a year? It is reminiscent of him allegedly holding on to fake e-mails for nine months before taking them to the Integrity Commission. Not a single utterance until today?” the Attorney General added.

Noting that Rowley also insinuated that the Government was somehow responsible for the payment of the housing allowance “that has attracted so much attention and disquiet”, Ramlogan stated: “This is a cheap and reckless attempt by Rowley to hitch the PNM to this allowance bandwagon and play politics regardless of the consequences.

“If indeed, the matter was raised by the PNM and nothing was done by the Government, I demand that Rowley provide the details of when this was raised and the steps he took to bring it to the attention of the nation. This will expose the true deception, PNM style.”

On Rowley’s criticism of his (Ramlogan’s) statement that the office of the CPO was an independent one over which the Government had no influence in such matters, Ramlogan said, according to the Civil Service Act, the CPO is the head of the Personnel Department, which has responsibility for addressing remuneration, grievances and classification of offices.

The Government, through the relevant Minister, has influence over the CPO in relation to these specific matters, he said, citing Section 15 of the Act, which states that ‘in the exercise of its duties and functions under sections 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19(1), the Personnel Department shall be subject to the direction of the Minister of Finance’.”

He said Rowley’s bold references to Government’s directive to the CPO on the settling of wage negotiations “missed the mark completely, if not deliberately”.

Noting that the President was not a civil servant, Ramlogan stressed that the terms and conditions for the Office of the President were not subject to the jurisdiction of the CPO.

However, the Attorney General pointed out that when the CPO functions as the secretary to the SRC, she was not performing a function that any Minister has control or influence over.

“It is unfortunate that Dr Rowley, in his usual rush to score cheap political points, failed to properly analyse the law on this matter and misrepresented the facts,” Ramlogan stated.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »

I support the proposal  of having clarification as to the role and powers of the President in the Constitution so the public will know exactly what is the President job.

Areas of Constitution reform will include:

• Internal Self Government for Tobago and the nature of the unitary state of T&T.
• Abolition of appeals to the Privy Council and instituting the CCJ as our final appellate court
• The role and functions of the service commissions
• Appointment of a commissioner of police
• The role and functions of the Salaries Review Commission
• The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and the exercise of prosecutorial authority in relation to white collar crime
• Electoral system reform
• Clarification of the role and powers of the President.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-11-17/pnm-rolls-out-2015-governance-plan

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2014, 02:49:12 AM »
Falling oil prices
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

CUTBACKS

The President is setting the example in belt-tightening. He has cancelled four functions he would ordinarily hold at this time of year.

The Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) has followed suit and has “indefinitely postponed” the Spirit of Sports Awards 2014.

President Anthony Carmona announced on Tuesday he would not hold a number of traditional holiday
parties, in view of the economic situation.

Among the functions the President usually hosts at this time are one for non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other civic society stakeholders, one for Members of Parliament, one for members of commissions and one in Tobago for members of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) and other officials.

A media function has also been traditionally held.

Addressing the Heroes Founda­tion on Tuesday, the President sta­ted: “We also cannot and must not
be indifferent to the drop in oil pri­ces where on Monday afternoon, the price of Brent crude dropped to US$66.77, the lowest since October 2009, and it must not be lost upon us that Morgan Stanley, the well-respected investment bank, has predicted that Brent Crude would sell at US$80 per barrel in 2015 but expects that oil prices would fall as low as $43 a barrel the said year. The price of Brent Crude has fallen by more than 40 per cent since June of this year.

“As responsible citizens, we must all do our part to cut back on expen­diture. I have engaged this. Traditionally, the Office of the President would host at least four official end-of-year functions, including one in Tobago. In order to cut back on spending, I cancelled them all two weeks ago. You, too, can be a hero in that regard and manage your spending over this Yuletide season.”

The Office of the President has been given a budgetary allocation of $37.7 million in this year’s budget, an increase of $4.8 million over last year’s expenditure of $34.5 million. In 2013, the Office of the President spent $20.4 million.

SPORTT, in a release yesterday, stated it regretted to inform stakeholders that the Spirit of Sport Awards 2014 (SOSA) was indefinitely postponed.

The company stated in reviewing its operational plans, as well as those of the national governing bodies under its purview, it noted several sporting organisations would take part in qualification events and intense training programmes in a pre-Olympic year. The Olympics are to be held in Rio, Brazil, in 2016.

The company said therefore, it had to carefully reprioritise the allo-cation of its resources, financial and
otherwise, and dtermine what would yield the best value for money.

This was also done against the backdrop of the Ministry of Finance indicating that ministries and State agencies must review their operations, with a view to cutting costs,” the release stated.

The company said it had worked assiduously over the last three years to establish the Spirit of Sports Awards as a key event on the country’s sporting landscape.

“While there is a level of disappointment as a result of the postponement of the awards, the company is confident that the decision is in the best interest of the nation’s athletes, teams and their Olympic aspirations. Work has already begun on ensuring that the SOSAs make a triumphant return in 2015,” the release pointed out.

HOWAI GAVE MANDATE

The cutbacks at the Office of the President and the SPORTT follow a mandate given by Finance Minister Larry Howai to all ministries to cut $45 million from their expenditure.

Howai said the budget expenditure would be reduced by $1.8 billion, with $1.3 coming from Government ministries and $507 million from the fuel subsidy, in the face of falling oil prices.

It is not clear whether the directive of the Finance Minister applied to all heads of expenditure, inclu­ding the Office of the President, or whether it was confined to the 33 Government ministries.

Howai said “ministries” were required to review their budgets to determine areas where expenditure can be suppressed to make up the anticiwpated shortfall.

While he gave various scenarios, Howai said the most likely scenario was the oil price would decline initially closer to US$60 per barrel but would eventually average between US$65 and US$70 per barrel.

He said using this scenario of a US$65 per barrel oil price and a gas price of US$2.75 per mmbtu, the reduction in total revenue would be $1.8 billion for the year. The budget is based on an oil price of US$80 a barrel.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 05:11:26 AM »
Well done.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »
Dumas, Daly question President’s $28,000 monthly housing allowance
By Ria Taitt

GIVE IT BACK

Senior counsel Martin Daly has questioned the legal basis on which the Chief Personnel Officer granted approval for the payment of a tax-free $28,000 housing allowance for President Anthony Carmona.

And former head of the Public Service Reginald Dumas stated yesterday that it would be “ethically reprehensible” if President Carmona is indeed living in State-provided accommodation, while at the same time receiving a housing allowance.

“If that is so, then he should give back the money,” Dumas asserted.

If President Carmona has received the housing allowance since assuming office in March 2013, he would have, to date, received in excess of $500,000 tax-free.

“As far as I am concerned, if the State is providing furnished accommodation, there is really and truly no justification for providing a housing allowance in addition to that,” said Dumas.

“That would be charging the taxpayers twice and that, to me, is improper and unacceptable,” he added.

In a letter dated July 9, 2013, the CPO stated that “as a principle, where an office holder is provided with accommodation by the State, a housing allowance is not payable for any period during which he/she is provided with such accommodation”.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
The company said therefore, it had to carefully reprioritise the allo-cation of its resources, financial and
otherwise, and dtermine what would yield the best value for money.

Athletes and sports teams on the bubble go suck salt.

1]; } ?>