March 28, 2024, 07:53:36 AM

Author Topic: President Anthony Carmona Thread  (Read 25370 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: President Anthony Carmona Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »
Falling oil prices
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

CUTBACKS

The President is setting the example in belt-tightening. He has cancelled four functions he would ordinarily hold at this time of year.

The Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) has followed suit and has “indefinitely postponed” the Spirit of Sports Awards 2014.

President Anthony Carmona announced on Tuesday he would not hold a number of traditional holiday
parties, in view of the economic situation.

Among the functions the President usually hosts at this time are one for non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other civic society stakeholders, one for Members of Parliament, one for members of commissions and one in Tobago for members of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) and other officials.

A media function has also been traditionally held.

Addressing the Heroes Founda­tion on Tuesday, the President sta­ted: “We also cannot and must not
be indifferent to the drop in oil pri­ces where on Monday afternoon, the price of Brent crude dropped to US$66.77, the lowest since October 2009, and it must not be lost upon us that Morgan Stanley, the well-respected investment bank, has predicted that Brent Crude would sell at US$80 per barrel in 2015 but expects that oil prices would fall as low as $43 a barrel the said year. The price of Brent Crude has fallen by more than 40 per cent since June of this year.

“As responsible citizens, we must all do our part to cut back on expen­diture. I have engaged this. Traditionally, the Office of the President would host at least four official end-of-year functions, including one in Tobago. In order to cut back on spending, I cancelled them all two weeks ago. You, too, can be a hero in that regard and manage your spending over this Yuletide season.”

The Office of the President has been given a budgetary allocation of $37.7 million in this year’s budget, an increase of $4.8 million over last year’s expenditure of $34.5 million. In 2013, the Office of the President spent $20.4 million.

So if this is the state of the economy and cutbacks is needed then why is the Prime Minister giving millions more to religious leaders. It is irresponsible for the government to ask for citizens to tighten their belts but at the same time give $55 Million to any religious body.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
I think is 55 mill. For the Christian. They will have to share it.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »

Religious leaders? Share it between their bank accounts or is it going to benefit their congregations?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »

Religious leaders? Share it between their bank accounts or is it going to benefit their congregations?

This is not new. The amt may b new.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 11:33:33 PM »

President Anthony Carmona and his wife Reema Carmona with Perry Christie, Prime Minister the of The Bahamas at Rawson Square, Nassau, Bahamas. While vacationing in The Bahamas Their Excellencies were invited to celebrate Autism Day and Mrs Carmona was invited to address the function. Photo Courtesy the Bahamas Information Service senior photographer Peter Ramsay.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »

President has to act on the Integrity Commission now. Time for him to stop being quiet.

This latest shocking development with the Integrity Commission (IC) is a matter for the President, which requires his urgent attention, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley said yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:52:29 AM by Sando prince »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

President has to act on the Integrity Commission now. Time for him to stop being quiet.

Powers to give a statement today. Lets hear if it is that he finally find Rachel Price so he can serve her with the PAP.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2015, 10:52:33 PM »
So... Did he give a statement? Up to six pm I didn't hear one.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:42 AM »
So... Did he give a statement? Up to six pm I didn't hear one.

Yeah.  A statement to confirm two commissioners resigned.  Nothing more.  Now tell me if these firetrucking ppl eh trying to provoke we??

Its times like these I miss my Robbie yes......... :'(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:13:35 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
So... Thus far the president has issued statements to save the life of a giraffe in an European zoo... And warning Rachel Price.

I think I understanding more about the powers that I thought he had that he apparently doesn't.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 04:07:37 PM »

Hold your hand, Carmona

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150611/news/hold-your-hand-carmona

OPPOSITION Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday described the process used to obtain his consultation in the appointment of two new members to the Integrity Commission as a "sham".

And he is warning President Anthony Carmona that if the appointments are made today as planned they will be unlawful.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2015, 04:09:48 AM »
Carmona: Don’t call T&T banana republic
By Yvonne Webb (T&T Guardian).

President Anthony Carmona said T&T was neither a banana republic or a failed state and chastised nationals who refer to the country in such derogatory terms.

Addressing the Scout Movement Colour Parade and award ceremony at the San Fernando Hill last week, Carmona said: “As a (former) United Nations prosecutor, I can tell you what a failed state is and we are very far from that.”

He called on nationals to get their act together and take an example from Americans, who, he said, in spite of the many injustices taking place in their land, would never define their country in those derogatory terms.

“I often hear Trinidadians and Tobagonians refer to our country as a banana republic. Why don’t they (Americans) call the United States of America (USA) a banana republic, where 300 bike men meet in a car park and have a big shoot out resulting in some 15 persons dead, where terrorists are bombing left, right and centre.

“No, those people do not define America. They are citizens of America but they do not define America and nobody will call America, because of the slaughter that takes place in America, a banana republic.

“And nobody will call America a failed state because many men have been executed innocently in America because of prejudice and biasness and racial disharmony. No, because that will not define a country.”

Carmona said it should be the same for us as T&T was a great country. He persuaded the young men not to let anyone tell them differently.

He said adults were the greatest bullies and were not doing a great job of raising the standards of conduct and behaviour in our community.

He called on them to become upstanding citizens and ensure young people were taught proper values and respect.

He also advised the youths against engaging in social media, “where vicious, negative things are said over and over.”

He added: “You will not engage in social media, which I often refer to as a minefield of cowards, hiding behind some nom de plumes and fake names and fake emails, to insult and denigrate people.

“You would not do that because the Scout Movement is not about that. It is about sharing love, engaging in a philosophy of humanity to each other.”

He said while we have our share of problems in T&T, once the Scouts were prepared to stand up they could be part of the solution.

He advised against cowering in small corners to denigrate or talk people bad but instead take their selfless effort to a different level of patriotism which would lead to problem-solving.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:13:50 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2015, 04:53:42 AM »
Carmona: Don’t call T&T banana republic
By Yvonne Webb (T&T Guardian).

President Anthony Carmona said T&T was neither a banana republic or a failed state and chastised nationals who refer to the country in such derogatory terms.

Addressing the Scout Movement Colour Parade and award ceremony at the San Fernando Hill last week, Carmona said: “As a (former) United Nations prosecutor, I can tell you what a failed state is and we are very far from that.”

He called on nationals to get their act together and take an example from Americans, who, he said, in spite of the many injustices taking place in their land, would never define their country in those derogatory terms.

“I often hear Trinidadians and Tobagonians refer to our country as a banana republic. Why don’t they (Americans) call the United States of America (USA) a banana republic, where 300 bike men meet in a car park and have a big shoot out resulting in some 15 persons dead, where terrorists are bombing left, right and centre.

“No, those people do not define America. They are citizens of America but they do not define America and nobody will call America, because of the slaughter that takes place in America, a banana republic.

“And nobody will call America a failed state because many men have been executed innocently in America because of prejudice and biasness and racial disharmony. No, because that will not define a country.”

Carmona said it should be the same for us as T&T was a great country. He persuaded the young men not to let anyone tell them differently.

He said adults were the greatest bullies and were not doing a great job of raising the standards of conduct and behaviour in our community.

He called on them to become upstanding citizens and ensure young people were taught proper values and respect.

He also advised the youths against engaging in social media, “where vicious, negative things are said over and over.”

He added: “You will not engage in social media, which I often refer to as a minefield of cowards, hiding behind some nom de plumes and fake names and fake emails, to insult and denigrate people.

“You would not do that because the Scout Movement is not about that. It is about sharing love, engaging in a philosophy of humanity to each other.”

He said while we have our share of problems in T&T, once the Scouts were prepared to stand up they could be part of the solution.

He advised against cowering in small corners to denigrate or talk people bad but instead take their selfless effort to a different level of patriotism which would lead to problem-solving.

Thanks a lot from a failed President who has only helped T&T to now be viewed by many as a banana republic or a failed state.

Maybe Carmona will now realise that he is an embarrassment to T&T as a President and might step down?

Hardly anyone in T&T still respects him as a President and maybe he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror to realise why.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Pres. Carmona can't be serious. Take a page from the Americans? If he knew the amount of derogatory things that have been posted by normal Americans since BO 44 has been President he would be surprised.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
Pres. Carmona can't be serious. Take a page from the Americans? If he knew the amount of derogatory things that have been posted by normal Americans since BO 44 has been President he would be surprised.

ent!  Also to piggyback on what meh boys on WACK radio were saying yesterday...why President Carmona always in attack mode, slightest thing the man ready to jep up smh

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

President Carmona congratulates PM-elect

http://www.looptt.com/content/president-carmona-congratulates-pm-elect

President Anthony Carmona congratulated Prime Minister-elect Dr Keith Rowley on the People’s National Movement’s victory at the General Election.

In a statement released on Tuesday September 8, 2015, Carmona said Dr Rowley’s statements to the nation were that of a “true statesman”.

“In a telephone conversation…President Carmona extended his sincere congratulations to Dr Rowley and the People’s National Movement (PNM) and their victory at the polls."

“President Carmona told Dr Rowley that his victory address to his supporters and by extension to the Nation was that of a true statesman.”

"his Excellency further complimented Dr Rowley for an address whose motif was one of genuine exculisivity to all, highlighting in laudable terms service to country and that we, the people of Trinidad and Tobago are one."

“His excellency shares with Prime Minister-Elect Dr Rowley as expressed by him during his address, his unabiding faith in the potential of our young people and the need to make of them genuine patriots of this Republic.”
President Carmona further invited Dr Rowley to a meeting on Tuesday to discuss the Prime Minister-elect’s swearing-in ceremony and that of his Attorney General.

Dr Rowley and his Attorney General, who has not yet been announced, are due to be sworn in on Wednesday September 9, 2015 at 1:30 pm.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
Today should of been our new Pm big day but as usual our President had to fook that up. 

Our president suppose to swore in our new PM first but instead he started with the Ag then the security

Minister  then out Brand new PM the man make a boo boo on our national stage .

As of now Kamlier is still our Pm until the PResident correct that swearing in bull shit that he did today.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »
Today should of been our new Pm big day but as usual our President had to fook that up. 

Our president suppose to swore in our new PM first but instead he started with the Ag then the security

Minister  then out Brand new PM the man make a boo boo on our national stage .

As of now Kamlier is still our Pm until the PResident correct that swearing in bull shit that he did today.

I'm no fan of Carmona but I don't see how this was his fault, the fella in the uniform was the one calling the order.  Sure yuh could say Carmona should have known better (in his first Prime Ministerial swearing-in ceremony) but to put this on him seems a reach.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
Bakes isn't that a legal technicality and all have to be re-sworn again? Seeing that the PM has to appoint the AG as a matter of protocol and in this instance the reverse has happened. I'm hoping that maybe Dr. Rowley was sworn in earlier and that was just pomp and circumstance.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2015, 03:05:16 AM »
Ultimately, what occurred should not have escaped the President. Despite all the "moving parts".

The same applies to Faris. However, from a statement attributed to Faris, it has emerged that Faris "got it".
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:10:19 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2015, 05:12:18 AM »
Ultimately, what occurred should not have escaped the President. Despite all the "moving parts".

The same applies to Faris. However, from a statement attributed to Faris, it has emerged that Faris "got it".

Faris is the one who pointed out the error to the President soon after.

Dr Rowley's appointment as PM was the only one that was valid in the public Swearing in ceremony.

I believe away from the cameras soon after that Faris and Dillion were both sworn in again in the right order as AG and Minister of National Security respectively as advised to the President by the new PM Dr Rowley.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:15:48 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2015, 06:36:35 AM »
I eh no expert on protocol and such but, when I saw Major General being sworn in first I immediately said to my co workers why is that happening??

My rationale was that as far as I'm aware, the PM and AG must be sworn in first because the cabinet/government is not constituted until those two are sworn in.  To be honest, I don't think I would have noticed the faux pas if Faris Al Sexy was sworn in first BUT definitely not Major General.

That's what happens when you fire the Protocol Officer and don't hire another one......steups!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:52 AM »
I eh no expert on protocol and such but, when I saw Major General being sworn in first I immediately said to my co workers why is that happening??

My rationale was that as far as I'm aware, the PM and AG must be sworn in first because the cabinet/government is not constituted until those two are sworn in.  To be honest, I don't think I would have noticed the faux pas if Faris Al Sexy was sworn in first BUT definitely not Major General.

That's what happens when you fire the Protocol Officer and don't hire another one......steups!!

You and the Prez apparently.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
Bakes isn't that a legal technicality and all have to be re-sworn again? Seeing that the PM has to appoint the AG as a matter of protocol and in this instance the reverse has happened. I'm hoping that maybe Dr. Rowley was sworn in earlier and that was just pomp and circumstance.

Technically only Dillon's appointment was in jeopardy since he was sworn in without a government being in place.  Faris' was never in jeopardy, neither was Rowley's.  As I noted elsewhere, the Ministerial appointments could only take place on the advice of the PM, which implies that a PM must first be sworn in, then give the suggestion to the President.  We've always had PMs sworn in first, but never see them then making the suggestion to the President.  The implication is that the suggestion took place prior to the PMs swearing in.  No different than here.  The order is just a formality since the Constitution doesn't explicitly require it.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »

Technically only Dillon's appointment was in jeopardy since he was sworn in without a government being in place.  Faris' was never in jeopardy, neither was Rowley's.  As I noted elsewhere, the Ministerial appointments could only take place on the advice of the PM, which implies that a PM must first be sworn in, then give the suggestion to the President.  We've always had PMs sworn in first, but never see them then making the suggestion to the President.  The implication is that the suggestion took place prior to the PMs swearing in.  No different than here.  The order is just a formality since the Constitution doesn't explicitly require it.

If the order was just a formality I don't think they would have gone thru the embarrassment of swearing in both Al-Rawi and Dillion once again outside the gaze of the cameras.
I think they did it again because there was a legal error based on our constitution that would have made their appointments invalid unless they were both sworn in again in the correct order after the PM was sworn in.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:50:17 AM by Socapro »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
Is the "suggestion" preceding being sworn a formality or a requisite?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:46:19 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
If the order was just a formality I don't think they would have gone thru the embarrassment of swearing in both Al-Rawi and Dillion once again outside the gaze of the cameras.
I think they did it again because there was a legal error based on our constitution that would have made their appointments invalid unless they were both sworn in again in the correct order after the PM was sworn in.

One thing I've learned not to do over the years is to argue the law with people who don't understand the law... and I don't mean that as an insult to you.  It simply means that we are not starting on common ground and if I explain the legal basis (as I've already done a couple times) for my opinion and somebody chooses to reject that and offer their own (witho and but supporting basis) then the discussion likely will bog down unnecessarily.  If you can find the basis for this "legal error" in the Constitution then by all means share it. 

If the Constitution is silent (as it is here) then you look at the legislative history/intent.  That is satisfied by the swearing-in.  Trinidad is a country that despite our vaille-qui-vaille reputation, is very beholden to it's tradiitons and protocols in certain circles... hence why we held dear to the frigging powdered wigs, and why we still to this day hold dear to "Silk", the ceremonial sword in the Regiment and frigging khaki uniforms for police (among others) in a tropical climate.  Sometimes it's best to do or re-do things out of an abundance of caution, not because there is substance to the concerns, but rather just so that you give the chattering class and the detractors one less thing to talk about.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »

One thing I've learned not to do over the years is to argue the law with people who don't understand the law... and I don't mean that as an insult to you.  It simply means that we are not starting on common ground and if I explain the legal basis (as I've already done a couple times) for my opinion and somebody chooses to reject that and offer their own (witho and but supporting basis) then the discussion likely will bog down unnecessarily.  If you can find the basis for this "legal error" in the Constitution then by all means share it. 

If the Constitution is silent (as it is here) then you look at the legislative history/intent.  That is satisfied by the swearing-in.  Trinidad is a country that despite our vaille-qui-vaille reputation, is very beholden to it's tradiitons and protocols in certain circles... hence why we held dear to the frigging powdered wigs, and why we still to this day hold dear to "Silk", the ceremonial sword in the Regiment and frigging khaki uniforms for police (among others) in a tropical climate.  Sometimes it's best to do or re-do things out of an abundance of caution, not because there is substance to the concerns, but rather just so that you give the chattering class and the detractors one less thing to talk about.

You just gave your opinion on why they re-did the swearing in ceremony just like I gave mines.

Don't think your opinion holds any more value that mines but thanks for giving yours as well.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
Dumas: Carmona must take blame
Express

Former head of the public service Reginald Dumas says the Office of the President must take the blame for the breach in protocol at Wednesday’s swearing-in ceremony for new Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi and National Security Minister Edmund Dillon at Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s.

Al-Rawi and Dillon had to be sworn in a second time that same day after they were incorrectly sworn in before the Prime Minister on the first occasion.

“It was a breach of protocol,” Dumas told the T&T Guardian when contacted for comment yesterday.

He said while there was nothing in the law of the Constitution that speaks about the order in which people should be sworn in a new Cabinet, “logic and common sense will tell you that the Prime Minister, who is the head of the Cabinet, has to be sworn in first.”

He said it should be especially so “because it was the Prime Minister who selected the Cabinet,” adding there can be no AG or National Security Minister without a Prime Minister.

“So the Prime Minister should have gone (sworn in) first, then the Attorney General and whoever else after,” Dumas said.

According to Dumas, the order used at the swearing-in on Wednesday “appears to have surprised the entire country.

“It certainly surprised me but perhaps it is new of those powers the President told us that he has that we didn’t know about,” he added.

Asked who should take blame for the mix-up, Dumas said: “It is the President’s Office and the person who is responsible is the President.”

He said while President Anthony Carmona may have been advised by somebody else, “the decision would have been his.”

Dumas said he was again advising the President should have a protocol officer as part of his staff.

“The President’s Office should have a protocol officer to advise, recommend, et cetera,” he added. According to Dumas, the head of protocol in the Foreign Affairs Ministry should “be appointed as the head of protocol in the President’s Office.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

1]; } ?>