July 24, 2024, 04:23:20 PM

Author Topic: Murray disappointed with Red Steel’s display  (Read 659 times)

socafighter

Murray disappointed with Red Steel’s display
« on: August 16, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »
Murray disappointed with Red Steel’s display
By JOEL BAILEY Saturday, August 16 2014

FORMER TRINIDAD and Tobago cricketer and administrator Deryck Murray is disappointed by the general performance of the TT Red Steel at this year’s Limacol-sponsored Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

The Red Steel, leaders for the majority of the preliminary round phase, lost to the Jamaica Tallawahs by four wickets on Wednesday, at Warner Park in St Kitts, in the first semi-final.

In a telephone interview yesterday, the ex-West Indies wicket- keeper/batsman said, “I think, overall, it was a little disappointing because I think towards the latter part of the tournament, it looked as though the Red Steel would be in the Final or, at least in the final play-off game. And then to fall away as they did, I think was very disappointing.

“While they would look at the tournament and see one or two good performances, I think they would have wanted to have done better than simply being the fourth-placed team.”

Asked if the Red Steel players were overwhelmed by the challenge in St Kitts, Murray replied, “it’s difficult to put a finger on it from so far away but it looked, from my point of view, like a little bit of complacency. They went to St Kitts in first place and their performances in St Kitts were disappointing.”

He continued, “I don’t see anything in the wickets or in the conditions that would explain how we (had) such a fall-off. You just wonder if it wasn’t as if they (felt they) had already got to the Final and, in their minds, thinking more about the Final than the games that were confronting them.”

On the 2014 edition overall, Murray, the ex-president of the TT Cricket Board (TTCB), noted, “I think there was sufficient interest in the tournament.

Unfortunately, two of the teams proved to be really weaker teams which may have taken away a bit from the competitiveness.

“But, overall, the entertainment value was there and I mean, for me, that’s what T20 is about. From that point of view, it generated enough excitement amongst spectators. Many of the games were close and there was excitement that we want to see from CPL T20.”

Leaders Barbados Tridents will tackle the Guyana Amazon Warriors in today’s final at St Kitts.

“From my point of view, Trinidad and Tobago is going to win the Final,” he jokingly said. “I’m not sure which Trinidad and Tobago but it would be really good to watch so many of our home-grown players in that Final.

“I’m a little bit impartial at this stage so I hope it’s a really good and close game.”

1]; } ?>