March 28, 2024, 04:30:43 PM

Author Topic: Breaking boundaries with David John-Williams  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Breaking boundaries with David John-Williams
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
Breaking boundaries with David John-Williams.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Williams Connect's with SWO.

Soca Warriors Online (SWO) recently caught-up with W Connection President and Chief Executive Officer David John-Williams and managed to get an exclusive Q&A with the passionate soccer-loving club owner.

Williams was quick to point out that he doesn't have to say much by way of defending his club’s foreign and youth philosophy and would prefer to let the trophies do the talking.

W Connection was founded as W Connection Sports Club in 1986, as a "fete match" team, by brothers David John Williams and Patrick John Williams in San Fernando. Upon the creation of the TT Pro League, W Connection F.C. was officially established in 1999, and promptly joined the nascent league.

In their first season, the club finished third in the league, while winning the FA Trophy. Not resting on the laurels of a successful first season, the team would see even greater success  during the following two campaigns, winning the League two seasons in a row.

No doubt W Connection has become one of T&T's most successful professional football clubs. Since its inception in 1986 they have won over 20 Cups and Trophies in-addition to its 4 Pro League Championships and are on the verge of adding its 5th.

The club, known as the "Savonetta Boys" has won the most CFU Club Championship titles, a total of 3 and were runners-up 4 times, all while playing some of the best regional clubs from Puerto Rico, Haiti, Suriname, Jamaica, Martinique and Cuba just to name a few.

To go a step further, the club has produced many top players including; Kenwyne Jones, Gefferson Goulart, Earl Jean, Titus Elva, Jonathan Faña, Zaine Pierre, Reynold Carrington, Murillo Da Costa, Renato Pereira, Jan-Michael Williams, Ronaldo Viana, Joevin Jones, Gerard Williams, Silvio Spann, Shahdon Winchester, Randolph Jerome, William Oliveira and Jose Seabra.

Other top players have lined-up with the team one time or there other, players such as; Jermaine Hue, João Ananias, Robert Scarlett, Arnold Dwarika, Lovel Palmer, Sheldon Mark, Zé Luiz, Aurtis Whitley, George Isaac, Randolph Jerome, O'Neil Thompson and Daneil Cyrus.

The team is spearheaded by Technical Director and Head Coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier and has employed many former T&T players on its staff including Strike Squad members; Brian Williams, Philbert Jones and Leonson Lewis. Former Police FC striker Norris Ferguson, super-star Leroy De Leon and Reynold Carrington have also been part of Connection's network.

W Connection is clearly the backbone of the Trinidad and Tobago Professional Football League having been a consistent performer throughout the years.

Below are 14 questions with David John Williams.

1. W Connection has been on the end of some criticism about having so many foreign imports on the team, many from St Lucia the birth country of head coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier. Most of the players signed are basically young players who are probably not even first team members? My question is do you think the league should have a limit on the number of foreign players per-team and they must be required to meet certain requirements to be employed by a Pro League team? Despite being members of Caricom aren't foreign players still required to meet certain criteria for employment into another Caricom country?

DJW: First of all what do we consider foreign players. I do not consider Caricom nationals as foreign players. It is to be noted that under the CSME treaty sportsmen are allowed free movement in the region and to be employed. As for the certain requirements that is needed be employed by a Pro League team I am not aware that there is any but I am of the opinion that if the player has quality that is all that matters. I distinctly remember that when Connection brought Zaine Pierre at 16 and a half years old to Trinidad many people had a field day criticizing us. In less than 18 months the player was signed by Genoa in Serie A after having trials at Stoke City, Tottenham Hotspurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City. It may be useful to note that all the St Lucian players as well as all our other Caricom players are National Senior Team players for their country. We look for a certain standard and quality. The League has a limit on foreign players (non-Caricom) and we have adhered to that limit and policy and I am quite happy with the limit that has been put in place.

2. W Connection did relatively poorly in their last CONCACAF Championship League campaign, sure they won games in the past here and there but never really made any significant impact or reached the semi-finals to say the least. They also finished last season in 3rd position and will not compete in the 2014 series. Can you tell us in your humble opinion what went wrong and how W Connection is planning on playing these series in the future. How serious are they and what is being put in place to improve their performance at this level. Also, do you think head coach Stuart Charles needs some assistant at this level?

DJW: First of all we have generally done well (considering our circumstances) at the Champions League level when our local season ran from March to December. Since the local season changed, our performances have dipped for obvious reasons. When we are in preseason, the Champions League begins for us, but our competition are well into their seasons and this puts us at a significant disadvantage. I did not personally agree with the change of timing for our Local League but the board has made a decision and we abide by it. Our vision and mission as a club is to play in a World Club Championship and in order to do that we must win the Concacaf Champions League. We will always work towards achieving that. Our Head Coach has the capability of making this a reality. I have no doubt in my mind about that. He will need some assistance that will allow for him having a larger budget to improve the squad and play some more high profile games on a consistent basis but we have to work within our limits. Might I add that we are competing with teams with budgets that are 10-20 times larger than ours. We remain positive, having missed out on a quarter final spot a few years ago by one point.

3. W Connection is responsible for producing many former stars and continues to lead the way by producing many more. Can you tell us the Club's philosophy and how you guys go about producing so many top talents in the game today.

DJW: We always believe in growing and schooling our own players from a very young age and in having them come through the ranks right up to senior level. Now we are 15 year-old and we are seeing that happening on a regular basis. We have a philosophy in our style of play from the youths right up to senior level. We have placed some very good coaches at the youth level in our club. As we are on that  let me say that we have used ex-professionals players who have played for our club to run our youth program which is critical to our  player development. We also have a very good paid scouting network in Trinidad and the region which works well for us. What we look for in players some other clubs locally do not look for the same thing. It is our little secret. We take our standard from the world and not locally or regionally and try to get as close as possibly to that standard that our resources will allow.

4. W Connection. How did that name come about and will you consider changing the name in relation to the community they play in so fans can feel in a sense more connected to the club?

DJW: W Connection Sports Club was the original name of the "fete match" team. We have always been a central based team and affectionately known as the "Savonetta boys" (we did not give ourselves that name- the local press did). As for the change of name that is always something to consider but a lot of factors come into play when you have to do that and a whole new re- branding may have to be done. What I do feel is that we need a community field that we could call home where we can have season tickets holders, fan club, club shop, club pub, etc. I honestly feel that this will ensure our fans are always at our games, We know that we have a very good supporter base.

5. Who would you say is W Connection's biggest rivals. For example, I've notice that went ever Central FC plays W Connection there are many red cards in the game particularly against Central.

DJW: Our status in local football created by our consistency and success make us a prime target for all the teams. We live it every game day. When we are playing "Civic" it is labeled a southern derby and when we are playing "Central" it is a big  "Central" derby. It really puzzles me quite frankly. As for the red cards you have mentioned the answer lies with the referees. What I have noticed is that when we played Jabloteh years back there were a few red cards as well and might I add not from our team. When we played Central during the first seven months of their existence I could not remember any red cards. Food for thought. What I am also aware of is that 2 of the five red cards were for "foul" language. Central has created this into a rivalry of sorts. They have come into our space which we have occupied for 15 years and are competing for the same home ground and training field and community. The unprovoked deliberate breaking of our locks on our portable goals at the training ground last year speaks volumes.

6. The TT Pro League is run basically by the Club members (to some extent), who are part of the league's board. Surely, they have some say. The fixtures, venues and opponents have been changing constantly throughout the years and without proper notice to the public, and that in return reduces the already little support the league gets. Referee's are constant no-shows and there are rumors going around that the big clubs like W Connection basically get their way. Can you give us your opinion on these and are you happy with the way the league is run?

DJW: The League has grown over the years. There is room for improvement. We are at the mercy of others because teams do not have a dedicated home community field. We have been at the mercy of a referees dispute (split) for the past two years. As for clubs like W Connection getting their way I will rubbish that opinion or statement. In fact we have been the biggest critic of referees over the years albeit not publicly. We have learnt that we cannot change the result of a game because of a bad decision by an official. We have constantly sent video evidence to the league and the referees showing them the numerous bad calls that we have suffered over the years and they have been many. We are able to do this because we remain the only team that have been video taping all our games (youth and senior) for 15 years so we are at advantage to see whether calls have been good or poor. Video evidence goes a long way in modern day football. Thanks to our video taping over the years we are also able to promote our players from a very young age to scouts and clubs around the world.

7. Do you feel the league needs a change from the top? I believe having someone in power for over a decade could be a bad thing. Jack Warner for example left us in a terrible state because we allowed him to dictate T&T football for over 3 decades. Not that Dexter Skeene is a bad guy, but why not seek assistance to help market and improve the league?

DJW: I think where change is needed is at the board level of the League. I feel the time has come to have at least three persons from Corporate T&T sitting on the League's board. This could go a long way in helping improve our image, our finances and governance structure.

8. Can you tell us some of the club rising stars and who we can look forward to in the future.

DJW: I prefer to use "players for the future" not stars. I will give you only players who are Under 20 years old - Jomal Williams, Alvin Jones, Neil Benjamin, Jabari Mitchell, Martieon Watson, Jarred Dass and Isaiah Hudson just to name a few from T&T and Demetri Apai from Suriname.

9. You are now part of the Caribbean Professional Football League panel and you have my support because I know you have a great passion for the game and also very knowledgeable as well. What are your thoughts on a CPFL and do you think it will affect the Pro League? Also, what are some of the things you would like them to implement? Bear in mind, Tobago United failed miserably mainly because of the financial cost of island hopping.

DJW: I do appreciate you compliments Flex. Let me place on record that I am of the opinion that the success of Caribbean football in the future lies in the formation and running of a Caribbean Professional League. This is the only way the region can improve its finances which is so badly needed to improve the game today. There are many things I will like to see and do but cannot speak about them because of the position I now hold and the respect for confidentially. It is no secret though that the cost of and travel logistics will be the biggest hurdle to overcome. 

10. If you had to choose 21 top players from the current league who would they be. Also, give u a brief breakdown on your selection.

DJW: Goal Keepers- Cleon John and Jan-Micheal Williams, Marvin Phillip. Wing backs- Kennedy Hinkson, Kurt Fedricks, Alvin Jones and Aubrey David (now off to Finland). Stoppers- Daneil Cyrus, Mikeil Williams and Andre Ettienne. Midfielders Joevin Jones, Jomal Williams, Gerard Willaims, Silvio Spann, Curtis Gonzales, Ataullah Guerra and Keyon Edwards. Forwards- Marcus Joseph, Trevin Ceasar, Devorn Jorsling, Shahdon Winchester (now off to Finland). Because of time constraints I will give you the reasons for my choices at another time.

11. How possible is it for foreign clubs to visit our shores in the near future and do you feel it would help?

DJW: This is always possible once you can get the finances behind it right. Playing good foreign clubs always will help raise the bar.

12. W Connection is surely the biggest and most recognized club in T&T. And I remember you told me once that you are working on your own home field, how is this progressing?

DJW:  Are we the biggest? well you said that (laugh).... We are working on building our own training center. The designs and drawings have been done and just waiting to get the finances in place which the most important part.

13. At the senior level there are head coach Stuart Charles and his assistant and country man Earl Jean. Will we see in the future any local T&T born coach as Charles assistant?

DJW: That is always possible now and in the future. We have had several local assistants for Stuart Charles over years the first being Leroy Spann who has migrated, Brian Williams who is now in our youth program, Reynold Carrington who is now in charge of Point Fortin Civic, Leonson Lewis who is now in our youth program, Clint Marcelle who is running his own football school and Anthony Streete who is now in charge of Club Sando.

14. The Super League teams do relatively good whenever they meet a Pro League teams in competitions. It seems the level is right up to par with the top flight league. Do you feel it’s time to make if official and rename the Super League to a Professional League One division and implement the promotion/relegation of teams from the T&T Premier League. This way more teams will compete at a higher level and the brand will be more competitive.

DJW: The Super League for the first time this season has done very well in the Toyota Classic competition. There are a lot of ex-pro league players now in the Super League and no doubt the teams have improved. We must not however get carried away because this is a knock out tournament and not a good yardstick to measure and completely evaluate the teams. I can assure you that playing in the League Championship of the Pro League is not as easy as people think. Added to this, let me say that it is not easy as many feel to operate a professional team in Trinidad and Tobago. The financing required along with the administrative support etc. requires a lot of resources in order to be successful. I am however supportive of having a second tier that will allow for promotion and relegation but we must ensure that the second tier teams have the required structure and support that will ensure that when they are promoted they will be able compete in a credible way.

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking boundaries with David John-Williams
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:55 PM »
I particularly like his answer in response to the W Connection bringing in "foreign" players.  We keep talking about how the quality of the League needs to improve, yet some people bitching about bringing in "foreigners."  Bring in the best players available and every man fend fuh deyself... iron sharpeneth iron.  The standard of the League and quality of the individual players can only improve that way.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:26:00 AM »
I particularly like his answer in response to the W Connection bringing in "foreign" players.  We keep talking about how the quality of the League needs to improve, yet some people bitching about bringing in "foreigners."  Bring in the best players available and every man fend fuh deyself... iron sharpeneth iron.  The standard of the League and quality of the individual players can only improve that way.

Bakes, no one has a problem with foreign players providing they bring a player who can play on their first team and contribute to the team.

There must be limitations.

Foreign players a valuable to the league. The good ones, not a mediocre player which we have in abundance in T&T.

I can't understand how bringing 5 St Lucian players who cant even make a Connection 18 is improving the league?

MLS, UK, La Liga, Serie A, Mexico, France, , Germany, Turkey, Portugal, Greece, Colombia, Brazil, Austria etc all have foreign player limitations.

I am sure if W Connection did not have a St Lucian coach they would not have one one their team.

There is so many top players in Guadeloupe and Martinique, why St Lucia, cant you see the conflict of interest.

On a positive side. Nice interview.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:29:38 AM by Errol »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:33:41 AM »
I take it only St Lucia is a Caricom country.

:devil: :devil:

Anyways, I have a question, have W Connection ever reached the a CONCACAF Championship League quarter finals? or even got out of the group stage?

The way DJW sounding is like they are the poorest teams that competes in the CONCACAF Championship League.

Didn't that Panamanian side knock them out last time.

W Connection spend their money to bring in 4 Colombians and two Brazilians and didn't have money to prepare them for the competition and now DJW is blaming budget?

If you have a limited budget, then utilize it better?

They operating like T&T team, they want all the players and expecting them to just gel and win games without preparing for it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:38:42 AM by Sando »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
Martinique and Guadaloupe are not part of Caricom. They are French. Actually they are Euros. And I think they have all rights and privileges to go and live in Euro. Correct me. So they would be considered foreign. As the man said, the CSME treaty does allow for Caricom to be teated as non-foreign.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
Martinique and Guadaloupe are not part of Caricom. They are French. Actually they are Euros. And I think they have all rights and privileges to go and live in Euro. Correct me. So they would be considered foreign. As the man said, the CSME treaty does allow for Caricom to be teated as non-foreign.

You are very correct, they are departments of France in the same vein as Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao are departments of Holland and as a result they are considered European citizens and are afforded the same rights & privileges. I have personal knowledge of someone born in Martinique who possesses a "European Passport"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

But the CSME treaty does not allow Caricom players to play for Trinidad & Tobago!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
Bakes, no one has a problem with foreign players providing they bring a player who can play on their first team and contribute to the team.

There must be limitations.

Foreign players a valuable to the league. The good ones, not a mediocre player which we have in abundance in T&T.

I can't understand how bringing 5 St Lucian players who cant even make a Connection 18 is improving the league?

MLS, UK, La Liga, Serie A, Mexico, France, , Germany, Turkey, Portugal, Greece, Colombia, Brazil, Austria etc all have foreign player limitations.

I am sure if W Connection did not have a St Lucian coach they would not have one one their team.

There is so many top players in Guadeloupe and Martinique, why St Lucia, cant you see the conflict of interest.

On a positive side. Nice interview.

To bring a first team player, they have to pay that player first team salary.  They have every right to invest in young players who could either help the team by playing in the first team eventually, or who they could later sell and reap a profit.

But the CSME treaty does not allow Caricom players to play for Trinidad & Tobago!

This makes no sense... so only players eligible for the TnT Men's National Team should be allowed to play in the PFL?

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »
So why did the 13 Jamaicans refuse entry in T&T then?

Some of them had legible entry papers.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:59 AM »
So you telling me that a man born in a Caricom country could come to T&T and take my job and we both poses de same talent and want to wok for de same money?

I doubt I could go to Jamaica, St Vincent and St Lucia and take them men wok.

De coach is St Lucian and they have 5/6 St Lucians on they team, how ironic.

I wonder if Everton will allow Lawrence to bring in 5 Trini on they team even if they 16 years old?

Trini is de America in de Caribbean, and then they does turn around and kick we in we ass.

We developing Caribbean players, just like Shabazz did with Caledonia and Guyana when he employ all of them, then get de Guyana head coach job and then turn around and buss we ass.

David John Williams say all them Lucians is frist team footballers, yea right.

I find 5 first team foreign players per team is reasonable.

No one foreigner in de Jamaican league.

Send more Lucians.

Stuart Charles looking out for he own and David John embeded to him.

De man coaching W Connection 26 years now.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »

Stick to the issue at hand... eligibility to play in the PFL, immigration can deny you entry whether you have work authorization or not.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
Trinbagonians are so amazing, here we have an interview of 14 questions, a wide range of topics yet everyone is focusing on "foreign" players especially Saint Lucians is it that Trinis hate Saint Lucians so much, or is it Connection that they have this deep hatred for.

DJW was asked to select a top 21 team, no comment from forumites!!!!
DJW spoke about CPL.......no comment!!!!
DJW spoke about the amount of local coaches who are currently working under or worked with Fevrier.....no comment!!!!
DJW spoke about having some corporate presence on the pro league board....no comment!!!
DJW spoke about the Super league & a possible second tier.....no comment!!!!! & I can go on & on but we here debating Connection & their foreigners. Connection isn't breaking any rules but we keep harping on foreigners, foreigners, foreigners. Don't you all think is time we start singing a new tune.!!!

Now all the usual suspects come on & start your cursing & derogatory remarks, but just remember sticks & stones can break my bones but WORDS can't & will never do me any harm & the same goes for Connection with all your continued condemnation Connection will continue to progress and continue to think INTERNATIONALLY!!!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
This makes no sense... so only players eligible for the TnT Men's National Team should be allowed to play in the PFL?
Bakes, I don't believe anybody said any such thing. I think every team would agree that quality foreign players add to the development of our league and our players. But 14 in one squad is a little top heavy. If they are so good, then that means you'll only have 4 or 5 Trinis in an 18 man squad. If the foreign players aren't in that 18 man squad, then why are they here? Bring some first team players, but why bring reserve players?

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
For the elucidation of the many persons who are ignorant of what the CSME is etc, here goes & you can also check for more info here:

http://www.foreign.gov.tt/csme/

In order to encourage the free movement of CARICOM nationals, a ‘The Certificate of Recognition of Caribbean Community Skills Qualification’ may be obtained from the relevant authority in a jurisdiction that is a part of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy.

Who can apply for the CARICOM Skills Certificate of Recognition?

Under the free movement clause of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME), skilled persons are entitled to move and work freely throughout the region.

These include university graduates, media practitioners, artistes, musicians and sports persons. Persons who are applying for their Skills Certificates must provide a Police Certificate of Character from all the countries in which they have lived for more than three months.

Where can I apply for the Certificate of Recognition?

The CARICOM Skills Certificate can be obtained from the designated Ministry in the home country.

Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Belize
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Jamaica
St. Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Suriname
Trinidad and Tobago.

What documentation is required when applying?

Click to Download the Application Form with Details attached. Please follow and provide the necessary information where applicable. Updated October 16th, 2012.

How long is the application process?

The Committee that reviews the application meets once per month. If the application is approved, the Certificate is issued. It takes approximately 6 – 8 weeks for the application to be processed.

How long will the Certificate be valid?

The Certificate of Recognition of CARICOM Skills Qualification should facilitate entry into another Member State. You will be granted entry for six months if you enter a Member State with a Certificate issued by your home country or a Member State other than the receiving country.

During this period your qualifications will be reviewed by the receiving country and once that Member State is satisfied that you have met the qualifications, you will be granted indefinite entry.
Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT) – http://www.actt.org.tt

Are there any fees?

There are no fees for the application or issue of the Certificate.

So for the final time CARICOM NATIONALS are not FOREIGNERS, they do not need WORK PERMITS to work in any CARICOM COUNTRY!!!!  They have CSME!!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:21:17 AM by soccerrama »

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Bakes, I don't believe anybody said any such thing. I think every team would agree that quality foreign players add to the development of our league and our players. But 14 in one squad is a little top heavy. If they are so good, then that means you'll only have 4 or 5 Trinis in an 18 man squad. If the foreign players aren't in that 18 man squad, then why are they here? Bring some first team players, but why bring reserve players?

You know what is amazing I find you seem to want to dictate to Connection, who gave you the authority to tell Connection what they should do or not do, I have never heard or seen Connection tell you or your team what they should do or not. One of your team members broke off the lock of Connection's goal post, to date no apology. On Monday of this week, Connection went to the training ground & surprise surprise one of their goal post nets was missing, cut off from the goal post & voila on Tuesday...the same day they played Jabloteh.......the net which was clean reappears very soiled & dirty which leaves you to wonder!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:44:28 PM by soccerrama »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

Stick to the issue at hand... eligibility to play in the PFL, immigration can deny you entry whether you have work authorization or not.

Bakes must be in a good mood.  :P

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
Great interview by both parties.

DJW seems very passionate about his team.

W Connection is by far the more successful and professional run team in the Caribbean and that speaks volume.

Keep up the good work David.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »

According to who... you?  Arsenal have signed 24 French players under Wenger, why don't we hear any complaining?  Benitez had a similar yen for Spanish players while at Liverpool... and arguably Chelsea for African players under Mourinho.  So what if that leaves only 4 or 5 Trinis in the team... if they're not better than the non-Trini players then it's a moot point.  If those left out are any good why don't Central FC sign them up?  If they not good enough to make Central why should W Connection carry them?  I've already addressed the "reserve team" argument... every move has to make financial sense, bottom line is that reserve or first team, if they're better than the Trini players then so be it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:41:38 AM by Bakes »

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »

According to who... you?  Arsenal have signed 24 French players under Wenger, why don't we hear any complaining?  Benitez had a similar yen for Spanish players while at Liverpool... and arguably Chelsea for African players under Mourinho.  So what if that leaves only 4 or 5 Trinis in the team... if they're not better than the non-Trini players then it's a moot point.  If those left out are any good why don't Central FC sign them up?  If they not good enough to make Central why should W Connection carry them?  I've already addressed the "reserve team" argument... every move has to make financial sense, bottom line is that reserve or first team, if they're better that tan the Trini players then so be it.

Couldn't have said it better :applause:

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
Great interview by both parties.

DJW seems very passionate about his team.

W Connection is by far the more successful and professional run team in the Caribbean and that speaks volume.

Keep up the good work David.

My point exactly...but we stuck on W Connection signing Saint Lucians/Foreigners....smdh!!!!! ???

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »

According to who... you?  Arsenal have signed 24 French players under Wenger, why don't we hear any complaining?  Benitez had a similar yen for Spanish players while at Liverpool... and arguably Chelsea for African players under Mourinho.  So what if that leaves only 4 or 5 Trinis in the team... if they're not better than the non-Trini players then it's a moot point.  If those left out are any good why don't Central FC sign them up?  If they not good enough to make Central why should W Connection carry them?  I've already addressed the "reserve team" argument... every move has to make financial sense, bottom line is that reserve or first team, if they're better than the Trini players then so be it.

Yes, according to me. I am allowed to have opinions you know! Your argument is argument for arguments sake. A majority of people, including his highness Sepp Blatter, recognises that the foreign influx is killing the English national team. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9801685/Fifa-president-Sepp-Blatter-criticises-Premier-League-for-fielding-too-many-foreign-players.html

Blatter : "the dominance of overseas stars was holding back the national team."

There are literally thousands of similar items in the press. The EU freedom of movement has created the ability for clubs to use this system (the same clubs who also complain). Right here on this site, people argue all the time that too many foreigners in the EPL is a factor in Englands failing national team.

I don't want that here, and I will continue in my belief that this policy is damaging to our national team development. Central will sign foreign players, but they will need to be better than the players we already have and they will need to be regular first team players.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:19 PM »

Yes, according to me. I am allowed to have opinions you know! Your argument is argument for arguments sake. A majority of people, including his highness Sepp Blatter, recognises that the foreign influx is killing the English national team. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9801685/Fifa-president-Sepp-Blatter-criticises-Premier-League-for-fielding-too-many-foreign-players.html

There are literally thousands of similar items in the press. The EU freedom of movement has created the ability for clubs to use this system (the same clubs who also complain). Right here on this site, people argue all the time that too many foreigners in the EPL is a factor in Englands failing national team.

I don't want that here, and I will continue in my belief that this policy is damaging to our national team development. Central will sign foreign players, but they will need to be better than the players we already have and they will need to be regular first team players.

Argument for argument's sake my ass.  Who the hell is Sepp Blatter that anybody should pay him any mind?  Or the xenophobes in England and France for that matter?  For every article you post about "too many foreigners" in Europe, I'm sure I can find 2 or 3 that makes the point that the influx of the best players, no matter their origin, is what will most benefit both the League and the local players in the League.

As for this part here:

Central will sign foreign players, but they will need to be better than the players we already have and they will need to be regular first team players.

Good for you... continue to worry about Central F.C. affairs and let W Connection worry about how they choose to run their team.  If anything you should be happy... all those quality Trini players denied an opportunity should be available for Central to sign and try to get up to W Connection level.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »

You know what is amazing I find you seem to want to dictate to Connection, who gave you the authority to tell Connection what they should do or not do, I have never heard or seen Connection tell you or your team what they should do or not. Sometime ago I asked you about the fact that your Captain Marvin Oliver pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking & was fined, to date you have never responded, one of your team members broke off the lock of Connection's goal post, to date no apology. On Monday of this week, Connection went to the training ground & surprise surprise one of their goal post nets was missing, cut off from the goal post & voila on Tuesday...the same day they played Jabloteh.......the net which was clean reappears very soiled & dirty which leaves you to wonder!!!

Regarding Marvin Oliver, it would be incorrect to comment on an ongoing legal matter. You, Sir, should be very concerned about libelous comments that you post. Just because a newspaper prints something, by your repetition, you also are making libelous statements. For your information, Marvin Oliver has never, ever been found guilty of possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. I'm not sure if you are officially connected to W.Connection because you hide your identity like so many cowards do on this site. But if I find that you are connected to them, your libelous statement will result in further legal action. I had a long conversation with David John Williams the other day about this subject and he, like I, feels very strongly about libelous statements. In fact, he is prepared to take legal action when this happens, and I feel exactly the same. Therefore, I will make a point of mentioning this libel to him and I'm sure he will have strong words with you, as I feel he knows you very well.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
In terms of foreigners, I think you're a bit harsh on W Connection - they have consistently been producing some of Trini's best players since their inception, and it could be that the competition with high-quality youngsters, regardless of nationality, is part of the reason for that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 12:43:51 PM »

Regarding Marvin Oliver, it would be incorrect to comment on an ongoing legal matter. You, Sir, should be very concerned about libelous comments that you post. Just because a newspaper prints something, by your repetition, you also are making libelous statements. For your information, Marvin Oliver has never, ever been found guilty of possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. I'm not sure if you are officially connected to W.Connection because you hide your identity like so many cowards do on this site. But if I find that you are connected to them, your libelous statement will result in further legal action. I had a long conversation with David John Williams the other day about this subject and he, like I, feels very strongly about libelous statements. In fact, he is prepared to take legal action when this happens, and I feel exactly the same. Therefore, I will make a point of mentioning this libel to him and I'm sure he will have strong words with you, as I feel he knows you very well.

The libel talk is nonsense... a complete non-starter.  Take that from an actual practicing professional.  Funny too how your ass was commenting all over the 2006 WC players imbroglio with Jack Warner and the TTFF... and you STILL continue to comment on it even though your boss is party to the action, and would-be party to any legal action to enforce the settlement.  But it would be 'improper'... your comments continue to be typically self-serving to both you and Central F.C.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »

Argument for argument's sake my ass.  Who the hell is Sepp Blatter that anybody should pay him any mind?  Or the xenophobes in England and France for that matter?  For every article you post about "too many foreigners" in Europe, I'm sure I can find 2 or 3 that makes the point that the influx of the best players, no matter their origin, is what will most benefit both the League and the local players in the League.

As for this part here:

Central will sign foreign players, but they will need to be better than the players we already have and they will need to be regular first team players.

Good for you... continue to worry about Central F.C. affairs and let W Connection worry about how they choose to run their team.  If anything you should be happy... all those quality Trini players denied an opportunity should be available for Central to sign and try to get up to W Connection level.

Yeah, Bakes, lets just worry about ourselves and to hell with the league and our national team. My interest is in improving the national teams rankings so players can take advantage of the very thing I'm complaining about here. Double standards? Hell, yes. I want Trinis playing in Europe, earning good money, developing their game and bringing transfer fees into T&T. I'm sorry if that bothers you. You talk crap about xenophobes, but what do you know about UK? Next you'll be trying to make this into some kind of racism thing. Mourinho complaining about the lack of English coaches is xenophobia?
I do agree that bringing the best foreign players will improve the league, but last time I looked, our boys don't need any help with developing their ability to sit in the stands.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
____-__

The libel talk is nonsense... a complete non-starter.  Take that from an actual practicing professional.  Funny too how your ass was commenting all over the 2006 WC players imbroglio with Jack Warner and the TTFF... and you STILL continue to comment on it even though your boss is party to the action, and would-be party to any legal action to enforce the settlement.  But it would be 'improper'... your comments continue to be typically self-serving to both you and Central F.C.

Trust me Bakes I too have family members & plenty friends in the field, I have removed the part about Oliver from my post but not because of any libel threat, it's so hypocritical that my anonymity was not a problem before but because I tread on Central's toes all of a sudden it is. You use every opportunity to bash Connection about their foreigners & see no problem with that. Out of curiousity has the paper that printed the said article have they been sued?. As for David John Williams I wasn't aware that he could dictate to me what I could do or not do or say or not say. I support W Connection & my views are mine or are you saying that your views represent Central's?
And by the way based on your logic DJW can also sue you, not so?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:57:35 PM by soccerrama »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
Yeah, Bakes, lets just worry about ourselves and to hell with the league and our national team. My interest is in improving the national teams rankings so players can take advantage of the very thing I'm complaining about here. Double standards? Hell, yes. I want Trinis playing in Europe, earning good money, developing their game and bringing transfer fees into T&T. I'm sorry if that bothers you. You talk crap about xenophobes, but what do you know about UK? Next you'll be trying to make this into some kind of racism thing. Mourinho complaining about the lack of English coaches is xenophobia?
I do agree that bringing the best foreign players will improve the league, but last time I looked, our boys don't need any help with developing their ability to sit in the stands.

I have been clear all along that bringing in the best players will improve NOT ONLY W Connection, but also the PFL AND the Men's National team... or did you NOT understand the significance of "iron sharpeneth iron"??

I would hope you're bright enough to understand the difference between Xenophobia and Racism... and literate enough to realize the context within which I mentioned xenophobia in England and France.  You have the gall to ask me what I know of the UK?  I know enough to know that it's full of self-professed hypocrites like yourself, not ashamed enough to deny the double-standards that you trot out.  I know enough to know that British players are given a pass on bad behavior, including diving and other forms of cheating... but if it's a foreign player... and God-forbid, South American... he'll be vilified.  I know enough to know that immigrants are blamed for all that ails England in particular, from crime, to falling wages, to expanding public welfare rolls, to crime.  What more would you like to hear about?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »

As a practicing professional, you would understand the difference between criminal law and civil law. But perhaps thatls not important, I don't know, and I'm happy to be corrected by a practicing professional. However, I've noted that you are very keen to comment on areas where you are not a practicing professional. Why is "the libel talk is nonsense". A man (presumably) has just made a statement that is untrue and attacks the character of Marvin Oliver. You think it's ok to spread false statements about people being cocaine traffickers? Really? And, as mentioned, Mr Williams is very strong on the subject of libelous comments on web sites and has taken legal action against them. So criticise him if you want, but I feel, in this instance, I'm with W.Connection!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 01:24:05 PM »

I have been clear all along that bringing in the best players will improve NOT ONLY W Connection, but also the PFL AND the Men's National team... or did you NOT understand the significance of "iron sharpeneth iron"??

I would hope you're bright enough to understand the difference between Xenophobia and Racism... and literate enough to realize the context within which I mentioned xenophobia in England and France.  You have the gall to ask me what I know of the UK?  I know enough to know that it's full of self-professed hypocrites like yourself, not ashamed enough to deny the double-standards that you trot out.  I know enough to know that British players are given a pass on bad behavior, including diving and other forms of cheating... but if it's a foreign player... and God-forbid, South American... he'll be vilified.  I know enough to know that immigrants are blamed for all that ails England in particular, from crime, to falling wages, to expanding public welfare rolls, to crime.  What more would you like to hear about?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bs:

Because no one in Trinidad & Tobago has ever said a single word about Guyanese, Jamaicans, Chinese etc have they? And it's only in England that people make anti foreign comments, right? But Australians, Americans, Canadians, Jamaicans, Russians, Germans, French, etc never, ever say a word about foreign immigrants and welcome them with open arms! Get a life, Bakes.

1]; } ?>