March 28, 2024, 09:39:20 AM

Author Topic: Andre Fortune’s youth soccer team heads to London to play with storied clubs  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andre Fortune’s youth soccer team heads to London to play with storied clubs
By Paul A. Specht (News & Observer)

It’s rarely a good sign after a youth soccer game if the coach yells, “Line up!”

And it wasn’t for Andre Fortune’s U-12 boys after their game in Raleigh on Saturday.

It meant sprints.

Fortune’s Cary-based team dominated its opponent from Jacksonville 7-1. But they did so in a “disappointing effort,” the coach said.

The former soccer agent and UNC-Pembroke player says the intensity of his program, Inter Development Futbol, is part of training young players “in a professional environment.”

The players didn’t complain, nor did the parents.

It might be because the team went undefeated in North Carolina Youth Soccer Association play last fall.

Or maybe it’s because they’ll soon get the rare chance to play in England against youth teams run by professional soccer clubs.

Fortune and his squad of 11- and 12-year-olds plan to leave for London on Thursday to play “academy” teams for Manchester City FC, Leicester City FC and Norwich City FC over a stretch of 10 days.

His players can’t wait.

“It’s an honor to go play professional teams in England,” said Shane DeLeon, 12. “It’s a good chance to see how technical they are and how fast they play.”

The Triangle has long been a hub for youth soccer. More than 74,000 children play in leagues under the state soccer association, which was founded in 1976. But observers say the competition has improved over the years.

“The quality of play is so much better than it was when I started (officiating) 15 years ago,” referee Reid Holmes said.

It’s not unusual for American youth soccer teams to play matches in Europe – if they’re good.

“But usually, you don’t get invited until you’re 15 or 16,” said referee Dustin Wenzel.

Fortune, 47, said his team partly got the opportunity to play overseas because he knows someone who works with Manchester City.

“I told him about our team, and he came to see how we play,” Fortune said.

His connections also helped to pay for the trip. Manchester City donated a jersey worn and signed by its forward, Sergio “Kun” Aguero, an international superstar.

Inter Development Futbol raised money by raffling off the jersey. About 40 families sold 20 tickets each at $10 per ticket, said Sherry Fortune, Andre Fortune’s wife.

European soccer clubs are willing to play American teams to get better, and also to scout talent.

“They know that one day the talent in this country is gonna go boom,” referee Bill McIntyre said.

Ted Armour said he didn’t think twice about sending his 11-year-old son, Adam, overseas to play soccer.

“(Fortune) stresses good technique and critical thinking,” he said. “It’s also a character-building exercise. They have tremendous respect for him.”

Armour said his son was recently pouting about doing something he didn’t want to do.

“I told him, ‘Treat me like you treat coach Andre,’ ” Armour said. “It made a difference immediately.”

Fortune’s players know every practice and every game counts.

“We’re trying to give them the same experience that kids in other parts of the world are having,” said Fortune, a Trinidad and Tobago native. “It’s organized, intense, informative.”

From a distance, Fortune’s players look like any other youth soccer team.

They aren’t big for their age, and they aren’t necessarily fancy; the teams sometimes practice on a small field in the corner of the MacGregor Village parking lot.

But up close, there’s a “significant difference,” said Mark Webster, whose son, Bryson, plays for the U-13 team.

Webster watched from the sidelines Thursday as the 12-year-olds and 13-year-olds practiced together.

They played keep-away, passing the ball to a teammate in one or two quick touches.

“They are a lot more disciplined and a lot more focused on fundamentals than others I’ve seen,” Webster said.

Fortune’s teams practice three times a week for 10 months, and the practices usually end with intense rounds of sit-ups, push-ups and sprints.

Asked how intense practices are after the team loses, Webster said, “You know, I can’t remember the last time they lost.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The former soccer agent and UNC-Pembroke player says the intensity of his program, Inter Development Futbol, is part of training young players “in a professional environment.”

Played under MS ... hmmm.

Best of luck in England.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:27:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
This brother does some exceptional work with these kids as evidence shows in his own two sons. This will be a very good trip for them to test themselves in England. I love to see these boys play...quality stuff all the time. I'll have to pull up Fortune socks for making the kids run sprints after the game though!
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Andre would make a great coach for T&T youth team.

Very good guy, I speak with him often.

He has a good bunch of youth players he work with.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coach, lehwe geh a lil follow-up nah.  ;D

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
Since you asked- below is a link to the academy website and tour reports on the website news page.

http://www.idfutbol.com/

http://www.idfutbol.com/index.php/category/news/ 
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Since you asked- below is a link to the academy website and tour reports on the website news page.

http://www.idfutbol.com/

http://www.idfutbol.com/index.php/category/news/ 

Thank you. This deserves:  :applause: :applause: :applause: Quality work and the experience of a lifetime for young feet and minds.  :applause: :applause:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Fantastic stuff! Wishing Mr Fortune and his teams continued success...

1]; } ?>