April 19, 2024, 11:11:22 AM

Author Topic: Prime Minister considers removing visa for Chinese  (Read 3241 times)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Prime Minister considers removing visa for Chinese
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
PM to consider removing visas for Chinese

Dinner marks 40 years of diplomatic relations

By \\\\\ Carla Bridglal carla.bridg@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jun 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jun 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM ECT
Chinese nationals who want to visit Trinidad and Tobago will likely soon be able to enter the country visa-free, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has said.
She was speaking on Sunday night at a celebratory dinner held for 40 years of diplomatic relations between China and Trinidad and Tobago, as well as in honour of the visit to Trinidad of Chinese Deputy Minister for the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, He Yafei.
Among the guests at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s were Chinese Ambassador Huang Xingyuan, his wife, Ma Li, several members of Cabinet, and prominent members of the local Chinese community.
The first diplomatic mission from China to Trinidad was established in 1974 while Trinidad and Tobago’s first embassy in China was opened in February
Persad-Bissessar said following concerns raised by the Chinese government about the difficulty its nationals have had to acquire a Trinidad and Tobago visa, the option to allow Chinese travellers who have already qualified for United States visas or otherwise, to be exempt from needing a Trinidad and Tobago visa.
She said this will be considered for the first phase as an initial “filtering process” until complete removal of visa requirements. But, she added, if Trinidad and Tobago is to allow Chinese nationals into the country visa-free, this country will expect some sort of reciprocity for our nationals to enter China visa-free.
Persad-Bissessar noted that on her official visit in February, visa restrictions were a main concern for Chinese officials. 
“Before we had no embassy, now we have one. But China is a vast place. Previously (visas would be obtained) out of London or elsewhere, how difficult that was for a Chinese national to visit Trinidad and Tobago. That didn’t stop them—the Chinese have fortitude,” she quipped, in reference the ship on which the first Chinese indentured labourers came to Trinidad almost 208 years ago.
Persad-Bissessar noted that Jamaica had already removed the visa requirement for Chinese nationals to visit.
“What does that mean? Their business and tourism sectors will grow tremendously from the influx of Chinese who will come to invest and visit,” she said.
She also noted the several major construction projects underway throughout the country, with Chinese firms as the main contractor, including the Couva Children’s Hospital, the National Aquatic Centre, the National Velodrome (both also in Couva) and the UWI South Campus in Debe.
“I see the Couva Hospital rising so quickly as I (travel) up and down the highway several times a week and feel so proud. I look forward to it opening later this year” she said.
She noted that there have been concerns from the national community about nationals from other countries coming to work here and whether the foreigners are “boxing bread out of the mouths of the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago.”
“We have serious shortages of skilled labour in many areas and perhaps in some of these fields this is where we partner together (with China). This is why I was very happy (both governments have) discussed the possibility of having medical personnel come to Trinidad for partnerships because we have a serious shortage of doctors, nurses and others engaged in the medical field.
“So whilst some may be concerned I would say what we are about is development of Trinidad and Tobago and to partner with other nations who are developing (with whom we have) bonds of friendship and diplomatic relations. I say this to underscore: let not your hearts be troubled,” she said.

n Chinese Deputy Minister for the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, He Yafei also delivered remarks, saying he saw a “wonderful future” for the mutual development of both countries.
He noted there were two reasons for the “special relationship” shared by the two countries: Both are developing countries whose economic power has been growing with the shift in global and political power after the financial meltdown in 2008. Both countries also have a deep-rooted friendship, he said, strengthened by the contributions of the Chinese community to all aspects of Trinidad and Tobago’s society.
 n He also brought along special Chinese chefs who showed of their culinary expertise, carving figures, including birds, from vegetables like turnips and carrots.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM-to-consider-removing-visas-for-Chinese-263377741.html

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Prime Minister considers removing visa for Chinese
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
Is she an idiot? Scratch that. She is an idiot.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
i smell a big loan coming before election

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »

Or big loan forgiveness. Who knows China might gift TT a new port to offload all dem Chinese settlers they exporting.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
this woman is an ass of colossal proportions....my lawd.... 

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:34 AM »

Or big loan forgiveness. Who knows China might gift TT a new port to offload all dem Chinese settlers they exporting.

They want the port for the oil and gas, the migrants are shipped by plane these days :p. But seriously, they're actually planning to build a port

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »
Unless China is planning to remove the need for Trinibagonians to have a Visa to travel to China then I don't see the mutual benefit of this proposal. Why is our PM going around kissing another country's ass like this?  :-[
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
Unless China is planning to remove the need for Trinibagonians to have a Visa to travel to China then I don't see the mutual benefit of this proposal. Why is our PM going around kissing another country's ass like this?  :-[

Because America is about to ruin its environment to extract huge amounts of shale gas. That'll remove the need to import it from Trinidad (we make up 60% of their imports, single biggest source for them), and we need another viable market to keep the good-times rolling until 2025.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:36 PM »

Because America is about to ruin its environment to extract huge amounts of shale gas. That'll remove the need to import it from Trinidad (we make up 60% of their imports, single biggest source for them), and we need another viable market to keep the good-times rolling until 2025.

Maybe you should have withheld your opinion as your reply makes little sense to me and should also to anyone else with a little common sense.
If someone needs something from you then there is no need to kiss their ass and China is that someone in this instance. If the Chinese with such a massive over population problem are not to be required visas to come to T&T then the minimum we should expect in return is no visas for Trinbagonians to go there.
Bet you way more Chinese have a desire to move residence to T&T than the other way around.
Our PM is a political dunce and will demand little respect on the world stage if she continues to kiss ass like that. Hopefully she gets the sack next year come the general elections unless the citizens of T&T are mostly as dunce as she is.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:14:02 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:03:15 AM »
Maybe you should have withheld your opinion as your reply makes little sense to me and should also to anyone else with a little common sense.

The problem would seem to lie with you then, I suggest more common sense and/or research into Caribbean-Chinese trade

If someone needs something from you then there is no need to kiss their ass and China is that someone in this instance.

China doesn't "need" T&T's gas, it wants it but they have other options - they have sizeable deposits of their own and the largest potential for shale gas in the world, but unlike America (20/30% of their gas production is now shale) they haven't started exploiting it yet. T&T would not thus be able to sustain a long-run gas export to China, which is fine given our gas runs out in the next two decades. Moreover, trade is still intensely politicised in China, with the EXIM bank still possessing a key role and Chinese companies overwhelmingly (if not all) having politburo members directly or indirectly on their board or in key decision making roles. The new port proposed in South Trini, for example, would be built with a loan from China, likely from the EXIM bank (Jamaica's loan for rebuilding Kingston's roads came from there).

If the Chinese with such a massive over population problem are not to be required visas to come to T&T then the minimum we should expect in return is no visas for Trinbagonians to go there.

Yea China don't have a "massive over population problem", they are running into labour shortages from the one-child policy. Google it. Chinese labour prices are rising as a result, and migration into the country can be expected to get easier over the next two decades.

Bet you way more Chinese have a desire to move residence to T&T than the other way around.

I doubt that to be honest; I think it's balanced. Those with the most incentive to move to Trinidad (the much discriminated rural poor class) lack the means and documents necessary to migrate most likely (their lack of rights in cities is well publicised). Those migrating to Europe and America are mostly urban Chinese, who would probably see less benefit in moving to China, but this is speculation on both our parts.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
How is this bad for Trinidad and Tobago and what are the implications of opening up the visitors boarder?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »

The problem would seem to lie with you then, I suggest more common sense and/or research into Caribbean-Chinese trade

If someone needs something from you then there is no need to kiss their ass and China is that someone in this instance.

China doesn't "need" T&T's gas, it wants it but they have other options - they have sizeable deposits of their own and the largest potential for shale gas in the world, but unlike America (20/30% of their gas production is now shale) they haven't started exploiting it yet. T&T would not thus be able to sustain a long-run gas export to China, which is fine given our gas runs out in the next two decades. Moreover, trade is still intensely politicised in China, with the EXIM bank still possessing a key role and Chinese companies overwhelmingly (if not all) having politburo members directly or indirectly on their board or in key decision making roles. The new port proposed in South Trini, for example, would be built with a loan from China, likely from the EXIM bank (Jamaica's loan for rebuilding Kingston's roads came from there).

If the Chinese with such a massive over population problem are not to be required visas to come to T&T then the minimum we should expect in return is no visas for Trinbagonians to go there.

Yea China don't have a "massive over population problem", they are running into labour shortages from the one-child policy. Google it. Chinese labour prices are rising as a result, and migration into the country can be expected to get easier over the next two decades.

I doubt that to be honest; I think it's balanced. Those with the most incentive to move to Trinidad (the much discriminated rural poor class) lack the means and documents necessary to migrate most likely (their lack of rights in cities is well publicised). Those migrating to Europe and America are mostly urban Chinese, who would probably see less benefit in moving to China, but this is speculation on both our parts.

common sense prevails  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »

common sense prevails  :beermug:

I have no issue with the Chinese no longer requiring visas to come to T&T provided that it is reciprocated to Trinibagonians the other way round. That is all otherwise we are kissing ass as far as I am concerned.

This is a matter of principle and mutual respect in my eyes. Nothing more to add.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:52:55 PM by Socapro »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 01:56:31 AM »

I have no issue with the Chinese no longer requiring visas to come to T&T provided that it is reciprocated to Trinibagonians the other way round. That is all otherwise we are kissing ass as far as I am concerned.

This is a matter of principle and mutual respect in my eyes. Nothing more to add.

Then why;

1) Insult me for suggesting a trade motive
2) Claim it's unnecessary kiss-arseing
3) Claim it's related to population pressures

Why not instead

1) Not insult me
2) Immediately make it clear your only concern is reciprocity (something we share)
3) ????
4) Profit?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »

Then why;

1) Insult me for suggesting a trade motive
2) Claim it's unnecessary kiss-arseing
3) Claim it's related to population pressures

Why not instead

1) Not insult me
2) Immediately make it clear your only concern is reciprocity (something we share)
3) ????
4) Profit?

I made my point and position crystal clear from the very beginning but unfortunately for you, you seem to regularly suffer from reading comprehension difficulties and have a tendency for getting into petty ego-tripping arguments which I don't really have time for right now during the world cup.

Have a read again of my first post from Reply #6 which I quoted below but this time read much slower and try to engage those brain cells paying special attention to the highlighted first sentence.

PS:
Most of what you posted I did not bother to read because I already made my point from my first post which cannot be logically argued with if you seriously took the time to understand what I said.
But I guess when someone is keen on having long time wasting arguments they behave like you do.

Btw I never insulted you so stop behaving like an oversensitive woman. I simply said that your reply did not make much sense to me in relation to my initial point. Here is a quote of what I said.

I seriously suggest you stop running behind my posts for unnecessary arguments while regularly missing the initial point that I made especially when you were not being personally addressed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:37:21 PM by Socapro »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:23 AM »
Socapro you seriously need to chill. I'm not surprised you didn't read my post - you have shown yourself impervious to logic, instead favouring elaborate conspiracy theories and crazy-schemes, but each to their own eh. You had to throw in some sexism as well, stay classy Socapro :p

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
"didn't read..."  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: and cock have teeth.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
Socapro you seriously need to chill. I'm not surprised you didn't read my post - you have shown yourself impervious to logic, instead favouring elaborate conspiracy theories and crazy-schemes, but each to their own eh. You had to throw in some sexism as well, stay classy Socapro :p

I've been chilling since the World Cup started which is why I don't have time for your pointless ego-tripping arguments!  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
"didn't read..."  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: and cock have teeth.

I was referring to Tiresais' long winded reply in post #9. I stopped reading it after the first paragraph when I realized that as usual he was completely missing my initial point and was trying to engage in another unnecessary time wasting argument.
My experience on here with Tiresais informs me that he lives for pointless time wasting arguments while regularly missing your initial point or trying to misrepresent what you initially said due to his own reading comprehension deficiencies or keenness to have an unnecessary argument.
Once I realized the time wasting road he was trying to take me down I stopped reading because he completely missed the initial point I made.
Some of you guys here need to realize that not everything you imagine is real. 

I don't have time for pointless non-football arguments that completely misses the initial point I made especially during the World Cup.  :yellowcard:

PS: Maybe when the World Cup is over I will entertain more arguments that completely misses the initial point I made here in General Discussion but sorry not right now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:38:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 03:16:14 AM »
Yes being called on your bullcrap must be hard for you. I suggest an extra lolly and move away from intelligent debate until you feel comfortable engaging on a level beyond primary school level :p

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
Yes being called on your bullcrap must be hard for you. I suggest an extra lolly and move away from intelligent debate until you feel comfortable engaging on a level beyond primary school level :p

When you learn to read properly and stop looking for unnecessary childish arguments then I'll waste more time engaging you. Unfortunately for you I don't have time to waste on childish ego-tripping arguments right now until the World Cup is over.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:05:30 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>