March 28, 2024, 04:55:04 PM

Author Topic: Jamaican Champs: Zharnel Hughes Breaks Yohan Blake’s “Champs” 100m Record  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Jamaican Champs: Zharnel Hughes Breaks Yohan Blake’s “Champs” 100m Record With 10.12
by Steve Soprano
March 28, 2014

Kingston, Jamaica – A few days ago I wrote about Anguilla’s Zharnel Hughes, who some are hyping as the “next Usain Bolt“. Today at Jamaica’s ISSA Boys and Girls Championships, he took a step in that direction by winning the Class One 100m in 10.12 seconds while representing Kingston College, breaking Yohan Blake’s 10.21 meet record from 2007.

The race was hyped as a showdown between Hughes and Calabar’s Michael O’Hara who has ran 10.29 this year. The race was built-up even more because Kingston College and Calabar are rivals for the overall team title (Calabar is favored to win for the third straight year). However, O’Hara was DQd for a false start in the semis. This was far from a one man show, however, as Hughes had to fight for the win here.

The race didn’t disappoint at all as Bog Walk’s Jevaughn Minzie also went under Blake’s previous record as he ran 10.16 to finish second right behind Hughes. In fact, Hughes didn’t get the best start and was in second for most of the race, but got Minzie before the line. It was intense right up until the end. (Note: Minzie had a SB of 10.31 coming in so it was far from a surprise that he gave Hughes a fight).

The stadium absolutely erupted after Hughes’ race and the video to the left shows the crowd’s reaction after he won. I kept recording until they quieted down just to get the time … 2-minutes and 53-seconds of crazy loud cheering, especially right behind me where a large section of Kingston College fans were sitting.

It was insane how loud it was and just how many people were at this meet. I’m writing a separate article about the “Champs” as a whole, but still need to see the final day on Saturday which I’ve been told is the biggest. Today though was still extremely impressive and definitely the biggest track meet I’ve been to in my life (I’ve never been to the Olympics or World Outdoor Championships, but have been to multiple US Championships and World Indoors). It’s a 35,000 capacity stadium and it had a large percentage full for a HIGH SCHOOL MEET!

Quick Take #1: In his post-race interview Hughes said, “It was an exciting race. I enjoyed it to the fullest. Maintaining my phases was most important. Execution, that’s what I was focusing on. I was focusing on winning. I wasn’t focusing on the record, but it came and I’m thankful. … It feels great man, it’s just a blessing.” This race was close and asked if he was nervous at the end that Minzie would beat him Hughes said, “No nervousness at all. I knew what I had to do. Just get to the finish line, get to the finish line. That was the main thing.”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m_tw2dVV8ZE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m_tw2dVV8ZE</a>

As part of the IAAF High Performance Center, Hughes trains at many of the same sessions as Yohan Blake and asked specifically about breaking his record Hughes said, “Blake was teasing me that I can’t beat it so he motivated me actually to beat it. So I give him credit for that and I’m thankful I got it.

QT#2: In the 200 semi Hughes ran 20.32 not even going all out.

UPDATE: Hughes has pulled out of the 200 final with an injury.

QT#3: The world junior record is 10.01 by Trinidad and Tobago’s Darrel Brown and Japan’s Yoshihide Kiryu. That record is definitely in danger of going down this year. World Juniors is in Eugene this year and you could see a final that includes athletes such as Hughes, Minzie, O’Hara and Baylor freshman Trayvon Bromell who ran 10.02 at the Texas Relays today to set a meet and school record. A sub-10 WJR isn’t out of the question.

QT#4: Yohan Blake lost two records tonight. He also lost his 10.34 Class Two (ages 14-15) 100m record as St. Jago High’s Raheem Chambers ran 10.29 to win that race, which would have put him 3rd in the Class One (ages 16-19) race behind Hughes and Minzie.

Results and Race Video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp5qQ6rbk4w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp5qQ6rbk4w</a>

Event 1  Boys 16-19 100 Meter Dash CLASS 1 BOYS
============================================================================   
 Sponsor: GRACE                                                                 
 Meet Record: R 10.21  2007        YOHAN BLAKE, ST. JAGO                       
    Name                    Year Team                    Finals  Wind Points   
Finals                                                                         
  1 Zharnel Hughes            95 Kingston College         10.12R  1.3   9       
  2 Jevaughn Minzie           95 Bog Walk High            10.16R  1.3   7       
  3 Raheem Robinson           95 Wolmer's Hig             10.37   1.3   6

4 Martin Manley             97 St. Jago High            10.38   1.3   5       
  5 Waseem Williams           97 Jamaica College          10.40   1.3   4       
  6 Tyler Mason               95 Jamaica College          10.48   1.3   3       
  7 Javoy Tucker              97 Wolmer's Hig             10.64   1.3   2       
  8 Odane Bernard             96 Donald Quarrie High      10.75   1.3   1

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:49:24 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All things being equal T&T's Jonathan Farinha of Abilene Wildcats would most likely have placed 3rd if he was in that Jamaican Champs Boys U-20 Final.
Here is Jonathan running out of lane 5 at the recent T&T Carifta Trials where he placed 1st in 10.18.

U20 Boys 100m heats, semis, final at TnT Carifta Trials 2014
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b9W7fuFD_UI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b9W7fuFD_UI</a>
Go to 2:11 for the 100m Final

Event 14  Boys Under 20 100 Meter Dash
          10.65  STD Carifta Std                                           
    Name              Year Team                    Finals        Wind Points
Finals                                                                     
  1 Farinha, Jonathan   96 Abilene Wildcats         10.18         2.2  10
  2 Ballantyne, Micah   95 Alpha Athletics          10.64         2.2   8   
  3 Constantine, John   95 Concorde                 10.72         2.2   6

4 Bridges, Jamal      95 Pet. Palo Seco           10.77         2.2   5   
  5 Griffith, Cordell   95 H.S.P. Spartans          10.79         2.2   4   
  6 Louis, Francis      96 Toco T.A.F.A.C.          10.83         2.2   3   
  7 Ford, Gervais       96 Abilene Wildcats         10.90         2.2   2   
  8 Wickham, Keston     96 Concorde                 11.04         2.2   1
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:50:02 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro these Jamaican  athletes peak for  champs i am pretty sure if Farinha was in one of their school programs he would have been on par or maybe even ahead  of them.. he ran that 10.18 alone
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro these Jamaican  athletes peak for  champs i am pretty sure if Farinha was in one of their school programs he would have been on par or maybe even ahead  of them.. he ran that 10.18 alone

I agree. There was no one pressing Farihna. Plus he put up his hands about 3meters before reaching the finish line..

Farinha is on pace to win Gold at Carifta.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UK Athletics must be licking their chops for the 2015 WChamps and 2016 OlyGames 4x100m relays

They technically now have access to the following:
1. Zharnel Hughes with a British passport as an Anguillan (hard to turn down their generous lottery funding)
2. Delano Williams (already running for them)
3. Adam Gemili
4. James Dasaolu
5. Richard Kilty (60m Indoor World Champ)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UK Athletics must be licking their chops for the 2015 WChamps and 2016 OlyGames 4x100m relays

1. Zharnel Hughes with a British passport as an Anguillan (hard to turn down their generous lottery funding)
3. Adam Gemili
4. James Dasaolu
I think Jamaica is also trying to entice Zharnel Hughes to run for them but I guess if Anguilla is not an independent Caribbean country and are still a British colony then Jamaica will be in competition with Britain to gain his services.
I believe his mother is a Jamaican now living in Anguilla while his father is Anguillan so he views himself as half Jamaican which should give the Jamaicans an advantage in attracting him to represent them.

I believe Jamaica was also trying to get Delano Williams to represent them but lost him to the lure of the generous British lottery funding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:28:01 AM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

3. Adam Gemili
4. James Dasaolu
I think Jamaica is also trying to entice Zharnel Hughes to run for them but I guess if Anguilla is not an independent Caribbean country and are still a British colony then Jamaica will be in competition with Britain to gain his services.
I believe his mother is a Jamaican now living in Anguilla while his father is Anguillan so he views himself as half Jamaican which should give the Jamaicans an advantage in attracting him to represent them.

I believe Jamaica was also trying to get Delano Williams to represent them but lost him to the lure of the generous British lottery funding.

Anguilla is an overseas British territory. They are not listed as an Olympic participating country, though they compete regionally as Anguilla (CARIFTA, CAC, etc). I will not be surprised if by now Shara Proctor (British-Anguillan LJ record holder) has been in touch with him. I visited Anguilla, there are only about 10-14k people and everyone is related it seems, compared to St. Martin across the water with the same land mass but 100k inhabitants.

The only issue is if/once he takes the UK plunge whether he stands to lose his IAAF high-performance "scholarship" because of the lottery funding, or if not (Delano hasn't) whether Glen Mills would put his foot down, finding himself training 2 UK athletes full-time/year-round, as opposed to the limited, winter/spring-time training that the likes of Dwain Chambers and Christine Ohorugu have access to.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:23:44 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Blake Champs records tumble
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Bolt, Blake Champs records tumble
Francis clocks world-leading 45 seconds over 400m

Saturday, March 29, 2014 | 4:23 PM

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DnZZ8aS9N1U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DnZZ8aS9N1U</a>

KINGSTON, Jamaica – When Calabar’s Javon Francis smashed Usain Bolt’s 11-year-old Class One 400m record of 45.35 seconds, lowering the mark to 45.00 seconds on Saturday, he became the third athlete at Champs 2014 to erase the schoolboy-times set by two of Jamaica’s greatest sprinters.

On Friday Yohan Blake’s Class Two 100m record of 10.34 set in 2006 was beaten by Rahiem Chambers, also of St Jago, with a run of 10.29.

Then later Friday Kingston College’s Zharnel Hughes bettered Blake’s other record, the Class One 100m of 10.21 seconds, lowering it to 10.12 seconds. Bog Walk’s Jevaughn Minzie, second in that race, was also under Blake’s record in 10.16 seconds.

Another Champs record by Bolt, the Class One 200m of 20.25 seconds, was quite likely spared with the withdrawal of the injured Hughes from the event Saturday.

Meanwhile, it was world leading run from Francis’ Saturday bettering the 45.03 seconds of Brazilian’s Anderson Henriques done on March 14. Eighteen-year-old Francis who was eighth on the list with his 45.95 done in February, also surpassed Jamaica’s Edino Steele’s 45.44 seconds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This guy Francis will be Machel Cedenio's biggest rival at the Carifta Games in April and in the months and years to come so the 400m rivalry between T&T and Jamaica should be fierce and interesting in the future.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:31:03 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was wondering when our next 100 man coming. But I have some hope in Johnathan.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DnZZ8aS9N1U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DnZZ8aS9N1U</a>

KINGSTON, Jamaica – When Calabar’s Javon Francis smashed Usain Bolt’s 11-year-old Class One 400m record of 45.35 seconds, lowering the mark to 45.00 seconds on Saturday, he became the third athlete at Champs 2014 to erase the schoolboy-times set by two of Jamaica’s greatest sprinters.

On Friday Yohan Blake’s Class Two 100m record of 10.34 set in 2006 was beaten by Rahiem Chambers, also of St Jago, with a run of 10.29.

Then later Friday Kingston College’s Zharnel Hughes bettered Blake’s other record, the Class One 100m of 10.21 seconds, lowering it to 10.12 seconds. Bog Walk’s Jevaughn Minzie, second in that race, was also under Blake’s record in 10.16 seconds.

Another Champs record by Bolt, the Class One 200m of 20.25 seconds, was quite likely spared with the withdrawal of the injured Hughes from the event Saturday.

Meanwhile, it was world leading run from Francis’ Saturday bettering the 45.03 seconds of Brazilian’s Anderson Henriques done on March 14. Eighteen-year-old Francis who was eighth on the list with his 45.95 done in February, also surpassed Jamaica’s Edino Steele’s 45.44 seconds.

This guy Francis will be Machel Cedenio's biggest rival at the Carifta Games in April and in the months and years to come so the 400m rivalry between T&T and Jamaica should be fierce and interesting in the future.

I believe Francis is not eligible. He is turning 20 this year.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I believe Francis is not eligible. He is turning 20 this year.
Year thanks, just found that out on Caribbean T&F Forum.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sprinter Zharnel Hughes may compete for Team GB at Olympics
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
By Graham Fraser (BBC Scotland)

Zharnel Hughes. Remember the name.

In the next few years, this Caribbean sprinting sensation who trains with Usain Bolt could be one of the stars for Britain at an Olympic Games.
The 18-year-old Anguillan made headlines last weekend when he won the 100m at the Jamaican Inter-Secondary Schools Boys and Girls Athletics Championships.

His time of 10.12 seconds beat a record set by a certain Yohan Blake, who also shares a training ground with Hughes. Blake's record was 10.21 seconds.

Anguillans can compete at the Commonwealth Games and World Championships but, as a British Overseas Territory, athletes from the island are unable to enter the Olympics as Anguilla is not recognised by the International Olympic Committee.

If Hughes wants to perform on the biggest stage of all, he may choose to follow in the footsteps of Shara Proctor - the British record long jumper - who decided to transfer her allegiance from Anguilla to Team GB in 2010.

The prospect of representing Britain is certainly on Hughes's mind as he prepares to compete at the 200m at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

"It is something I always think about," said Hughes. "I think that (competing for Great Britain) would be the best choice.
"It is something I need to think about before I jump to conclusions and something I have to talk to my coaches about.
"It would be a great experience to represent Great Britain at an Olympics, at the same time representing Anguilla."

Hughes is training in Jamaica for this summer's Games and his preparation was put into focus this week as the Queen's Baton Relay, the main warm-up for Glasgow, passed through Anguilla.

On Saturday, 30 March, Hughes won the 16-19 age group of the Boys Championships. This follows victory at last year's Junior CARIFTA Games in the Caribbean, again in the 100m.

Hughes was raised in Anguilla by his mother, who is a housekeeper, and his father, who works as a taxi driver. When he was 10, he took part in a sports event to mark Commonwealth Day.

He was subsequently chosen to represent his school and won five medals in his first competition.

In the eight years since, Hughes has continued to enjoy success. At the age of 16, he won a scholarship to study at the elite High Performance Training Centre in Kingston.

Life at the centre is simple. He listens to soca and reggae music and plays racing games and flight simulators on his computer, with hopes of becoming a pilot one day.

He also loves training next to Bolt and Blake, and his coach Glen Mills, and says the Olympic champions share some words of wisdom.
"They give me a pep talk at training," he said. "Being alongside them, seeing them fighting through the programme when it is very tough - they don't give up.

"Both of them encourage me."
Hughes then pauses and clears his throat before giving his best Bolt impression: "'Big man, you are doing great, man, you are doing great work.'"

He added: "Blake teases me. At the same time, he is motivating me. He says 'just stay focused, don't get panicked by anybody, just go out and do your thing'."

Between now and Glasgow 2014, Hughes has a busy schedule including the IAAF World Junior Championships, which will be held in America only a few days before the start of the Games.

The teenager is treated like a hero in Anguilla following his successes so far.

He said: "They are wonderful back home. I get a lot of messages from young ones that say, 'Zharnel, I am looking up to you, you are inspiring me, and because of you I am doing track and field'.

"Those are the things that are encouraging me to do so well. It makes me feel wonderful inside because I know I am doing something great. I follow my motto that I saw online - 'Inspire Before I Expire'. I know God has a plan for me."

Whether that plan includes competing for the UK at an Olympics remains unknown at this stage.
For now, British fans can look forward to seeing this talented youngster in Glasgow.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:51:12 AM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
By Graham Fraser (BBC Scotland)

Zharnel Hughes. Remember the name.

In the next few years, this Caribbean sprinting sensation who trains with Usain Bolt could be one of the stars for Britain at an Olympic Games.
The 18-year-old Anguillan made headlines last weekend when he won the 100m at the Jamaican Inter-Secondary Schools Boys and Girls Athletics Championships.

His time of 10.12 seconds beat a record set by a certain Yohan Blake, who also shares a training ground with Hughes. Blake's record was 10.21 seconds.

Anguillans can compete at the Commonwealth Games and World Championships but, as a British Overseas Territory, athletes from the island are unable to enter the Olympics as Anguilla is not recognised by the International Olympic Committee.

If Hughes wants to perform on the biggest stage of all, he may choose to follow in the footsteps of Shara Proctor - the British record long jumper - who decided to transfer her allegiance from Anguilla to Team GB in 2010.

The prospect of representing Britain is certainly on Hughes's mind as he prepares to compete at the 200m at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

"It is something I always think about," said Hughes. "I think that (competing for Great Britain) would be the best choice.
"It is something I need to think about before I jump to conclusions and something I have to talk to my coaches about.
"It would be a great experience to represent Great Britain at an Olympics, at the same time representing Anguilla."

Hughes is training in Jamaica for this summer's Games and his preparation was put into focus this week as the Queen's Baton Relay, the main warm-up for Glasgow, passed through Anguilla.

On Saturday, 30 March, Hughes won the 16-19 age group of the Boys Championships. This follows victory at last year's Junior CARIFTA Games in the Caribbean, again in the 100m.

Hughes was raised in Anguilla by his mother, who is a housekeeper, and his father, who works as a taxi driver. When he was 10, he took part in a sports event to mark Commonwealth Day.

He was subsequently chosen to represent his school and won five medals in his first competition.

In the eight years since, Hughes has continued to enjoy success. At the age of 16, he won a scholarship to study at the elite High Performance Training Centre in Kingston.

Life at the centre is simple. He listens to soca and reggae music and plays racing games and flight simulators on his computer, with hopes of becoming a pilot one day.

He also loves training next to Bolt and Blake, and his coach Glen Mills, and says the Olympic champions share some words of wisdom.
"They give me a pep talk at training," he said. "Being alongside them, seeing them fighting through the programme when it is very tough - they don't give up.

"Both of them encourage me."
Hughes then pauses and clears his throat before giving his best Bolt impression: "'Big man, you are doing great, man, you are doing great work.'"

He added: "Blake teases me. At the same time, he is motivating me. He says 'just stay focused, don't get panicked by anybody, just go out and do your thing'."

Between now and Glasgow 2014, Hughes has a busy schedule including the IAAF World Junior Championships, which will be held in America only a few days before the start of the Games.

The teenager is treated like a hero in Anguilla following his successes so far.

He said: "They are wonderful back home. I get a lot of messages from young ones that say, 'Zharnel, I am looking up to you, you are inspiring me, and because of you I am doing track and field'.

"Those are the things that are encouraging me to do so well. It makes me feel wonderful inside because I know I am doing something great. I follow my motto that I saw online - 'Inspire Before I Expire'. I know God has a plan for me."

Whether that plan includes competing for the UK at an Olympics remains unknown at this stage.
For now, British fans can look forward to seeing this talented youngster in Glasgow.

Like somebody maco this thread for a storyline boy

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It would be nice if our Jonathan Farinha can beat Zharnel Hughes at this month's Carifta Games and show the British that the very best future Caribbean sprinters are not for sale!  :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
He listens to soca and reggae music

And what do our prima donnas listen to?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was wondering when our next 100 man coming. But I have some hope in Johnathan.

Johnathan Farinha looked very outstanding in his final but his time was wind assisted . He did not actually run  the qualifying time at the Carifta trials but is selected because he won the 100 metre final. the The onlly person who made the time legitimately was JM Constantine in the semis.

The same  is true for Adel Colthrust who won the 100 final for under 18 boys in a wind assisted time at the trials.  He also did not make the qualifying time legally. Should they be carried ...Oh yes !! a thousand times yes !

Farinha has improved leaps and bounds this season and really looks special. Charlie Joseph  is beginning to bring out a giant club from Arima in Abilene. ( Taffe, the farinha brothers ..etc ) As an athlete Charlie Joseph was a phenom , a naturally gifted athlete who, with a little more dedication could have been a world beater...I could say the same for roger Gibbon in cycling...these athletes probably had other things on their mind ....sport was fun then you still had to earn a living.

adel  Colthrust who I am hoping would not be just another youth phenom has been and is sensational....so far .
Since Darrel Brown I have not seen a more gifted sprinter and he has only just turned 14. ( sorry if this sounds like repitition ) He can actually run in this age group for three more years as he is born in january. Now  he is not the smooth operator that Darrel was and it is quite amazing to watch him just streak away from all comers with a simply normal style.

This was supposed to be his second year running under 16 and he is already faster than the under 18 over the 100 metres.
I wonder what his coach will do this year.Adel is very focussed and, though still a mama's boy, already knows what he wants to do ...win the 100 meters and break the world record ( Bolt's record he calls it). his routine is simple go down to the track ...run ...win ...then return to sit next to his mother ...no fanfare !

I strongly believe he will go below 10 secs. this season maybe even at Carifta...legitimately ..while still 14 years.

I remember Nestor Brown, Darrel's coach, keeping Darrel away from older competition even though he was faster than the competition , I wonder what Learie is going to do with his Charge. I guess as a coach and father, having a son who has already medalled at the Olympics might serve to remind that " the race is not always for the swiftist, but for those who can most endure "

The athlete I am worried about is Ayodele Taffe. I remember years ago when he became the first athlete to beat John Mark constantine in a 100 metre race at the stadium ...some say JM is still recovering for that shock. JM  has never been the same since...not easy to realise that you can be beaten ...when you had years of being unbeaten and unbeatable in your age group. Well after an outstanding  season last year and out of school, Ayodele was supposed to go to Texas A&M this year but is still in T&T by all report...with the excuse that he is waiting to go up with Johnathan and others next year ...I know he had issues with academics but surely someone can remedy that if that is the problem.

Taffee is one of the best young local talents in T&T ....someone asked about the sprinters well these are some of the more outstanding males

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sub-10 at 14? Surely you jest.

Even if it were remotely possible, it would be developmental suicide.

You must mean sub 11s.

Talk to you all at Carifta, it looks to be a good one again this year. Jamaica and TnT seem to have good teams.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Where you get that foolishness from? W-Juniors is this year. That is the Peak goal for the elites.

And that 10.18s was not "alone", he had company for 70mtrs.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

3. Adam Gemili
4. James Dasaolu

Jamaica never entices any runner. Frankly the youth cant make Jamaica side  for at least 2 years at the earliest, so he should try elsewhere. Right now Jamdung overflowing. Even we Jakan fans cant keep a track. Man like Jason Young, the Akan sprinters (Livermore, etc) and  youth progidies like Dexter Lee are easily forgotten, but come Trials they can scalp many a fancied runner.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

3. Adam Gemili
4. James Dasaolu

Jamaica never entices any runner. Frankly the youth cant make Jamaica side  for at least 2 years at the earliest, so he should try elsewhere. Right now Jamdung overflowing. Even we Jakan fans cant keep a track. Man like Jason Young, the Akan sprinters (Livermore, etc) and  youth progidies like Dexter Lee are easily forgotten, but come Trials they can scalp many a fancied runner.

Maybe I should have said Jamaica is interested but your point about Jamaica overflowing with young prodigies is well made which proves that your developmental programs are working very well because you take your youth development seriously.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:27:11 AM by Socapro »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Where you get that foolishness from? W-Juniors is this year. That is the Peak goal for the elites.

Sub-10 at 14? Surely you jest.

Even if it were remotely possible, it would be developmental suicide.

You must mean sub 11s.

Talk to you all at Carifta, it looks to be a good one again this year. Jamaica and TnT seem to have good teams.

my mistake ...sub 11 is what i meant  :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

hey asafa said it also in an interview
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I think what Willi said makes sense. May be in a non-W-Junior Champs year young JA athletes would be trained to peak for their own Champs but with this year being the World Junior Champs I think their young elite athletes would be conditioned to peak for that bigger competition instead.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I think what Willi said makes sense. May be in a non-W-Junior Champs year young JA athletes would be trained to peak for their own Champs but with this year being the World Junior Champs I think their young elite athletes would be conditioned to peak for that bigger competition instead.

Glen Mills say athletes overworked at recent Champs:

Champs Exciting, But Athletes Overworked
Published: Sunday | April 8, 201212 Comments
Glen Mills
Glen Mills
Raymond Graham, Sunday Gleaner Writer

FOLLOWING the conclusion of the recent Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Athletics Championships, top senior track and field coach Glen Mills told The Sunday Gleaner that it was one of the most exciting in years, but he is concerned that our junior athletes are being overworked.

"It was a good display by our young athletes and provided spectators with a glimpse of what the future can be, as there were some outstanding performances," said Mills.

"However, while we celebrate the performances, we tend to lose sight of a number of things our young athletes are facing, and I am still concerned that after a number of years, we are not making an attempt to control development of our youngsters," he stated.

Mills said ISSA made an attempt to do this several years ago by limiting the number of events in which athletes could participate at Champs, but more needs to be done.

Restrictions necessary

"A couple years ago, under sustained pressure from the Sports Medicine Association, ISSA was forced to limit the athletes to the number of events they do because then Class Three athletes were asked to do up to seven events by their coaches, but ISSA restricted that," Mills pointed out.

"The time has now come to restrict athletes, at Classes Two and Three among the boys and Classes Three and Four among the girls, on the amount of events they are doing at the championships."

Mills cited the amount of work athletes doing events from 100 metres to 400 metres would have to do in their preparation.

"Athletes would have gone over six to eight months of extensive training and then come to the championships to compete. It is too much and the time has come where ISSA needs to limit the athletes in the various classes on the amount of events they do and this review is necessary," continued Mills.

Mills also has a serious concern about Class Four boys competing with the Class Three.

"Until a class of their own is established, these Class Four boys who are competing alongside older Class Three boys should only be allowed to do one event," he said.

Mills also stated that despite the girls at this level being more mature than the boys, there should also be a review of the number of events they also do in the lower classes.

"When you look at our outstanding juniors, especially among the girls, they have been competing all year on a regular basis for the past three years as most of them compete up to August. Besides the ISSA Championships, they have to go to regular development meets, Carifta, Central American and Caribbean Games, World Youth Olympics, World Youths, Penn Relays and World Juniors, and some of them now have suffered from injury," said Mills.

"There was one female athlete who got injured at the Carifta Trials and three weeks later, this same athlete came back to compete at the championships and was taken off on a stretcher due to the same injury," said the outstanding coach.

Injuries affecting athletes

"Several other juniors who have done well in the past three years have not been able to show their real talent because they have been competing with an injury, and we need to protect these talents because if we do not, despite our wealth of talent at the junior level, they will not be able to perform at a higher level because their junior preparation is too hectic," he continued.

"Most of our top junior athletes tend to attend the schools that finish in the top three or four at Champs, but most of our athletes who have success at the senior level are coming from schools which have not been able to mount any serious challenges at these championships, and this is saying something," he said.

"This is a call for the JAAA (Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association), the Sports Medicine Association, intellectuals at G.C. Foster College, knowledgeable and experienced coaches and all interested parties to come together in a forum for some serious discussion and come up with a system which will serve the interest of the development of our young athletes, as this will be in the best interest for all parties involved," Mills concluded.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:29:50 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Glen Mills say athletes overworked at recent Champs:

Champs Exciting, But Athletes Overworked
Published: Sunday | April 8, 201212 Comments
Glen Mills
Glen Mills
Raymond Graham, Sunday Gleaner Writer

FOLLOWING the conclusion of the recent Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls' Athletics Championships, top senior track and field coach Glen Mills told The Sunday Gleaner that it was one of the most exciting in years, but he is concerned that our junior athletes are being overworked.

"It was a good display by our young athletes and provided spectators with a glimpse of what the future can be, as there were some outstanding performances," said Mills.

"However, while we celebrate the performances, we tend to lose sight of a number of things our young athletes are facing, and I am still concerned that after a number of years, we are not making an attempt to control development of our youngsters," he stated.

Mills said ISSA made an attempt to do this several years ago by limiting the number of events in which athletes could participate at Champs, but more needs to be done.

Restrictions necessary

"A couple years ago, under sustained pressure from the Sports Medicine Association, ISSA was forced to limit the athletes to the number of events they do because then Class Three athletes were asked to do up to seven events by their coaches, but ISSA restricted that," Mills pointed out.

"The time has now come to restrict athletes, at Classes Two and Three among the boys and Classes Three and Four among the girls, on the amount of events they are doing at the championships."

Mills cited the amount of work athletes doing events from 100 metres to 400 metres would have to do in their preparation.

"Athletes would have gone over six to eight months of extensive training and then come to the championships to compete. It is too much and the time has come where ISSA needs to limit the athletes in the various classes on the amount of events they do and this review is necessary," continued Mills.

Mills also has a serious concern about Class Four boys competing with the Class Three.

"Until a class of their own is established, these Class Four boys who are competing alongside older Class Three boys should only be allowed to do one event," he said.

Mills also stated that despite the girls at this level being more mature than the boys, there should also be a review of the number of events they also do in the lower classes.

"When you look at our outstanding juniors, especially among the girls, they have been competing all year on a regular basis for the past three years as most of them compete up to August. Besides the ISSA Championships, they have to go to regular development meets, Carifta, Central American and Caribbean Games, World Youth Olympics, World Youths, Penn Relays and World Juniors, and some of them now have suffered from injury," said Mills.

"There was one female athlete who got injured at the Carifta Trials and three weeks later, this same athlete came back to compete at the championships and was taken off on a stretcher due to the same injury," said the outstanding coach.

Injuries affecting athletes

"Several other juniors who have done well in the past three years have not been able to show their real talent because they have been competing with an injury, and we need to protect these talents because if we do not, despite our wealth of talent at the junior level, they will not be able to perform at a higher level because their junior preparation is too hectic," he continued.

"Most of our top junior athletes tend to attend the schools that finish in the top three or four at Champs, but most of our athletes who have success at the senior level are coming from schools which have not been able to mount any serious challenges at these championships, and this is saying something," he said.

"This is a call for the JAAA (Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association), the Sports Medicine Association, intellectuals at G.C. Foster College, knowledgeable and experienced coaches and all interested parties to come together in a forum for some serious discussion and come up with a system which will serve the interest of the development of our young athletes, as this will be in the best interest for all parties involved," Mills concluded.
Interesting!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Champs, Jamaica’s athletics master class
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Stand-in-awe-253840051.html

Stand in awe
Part 1: Champs, Jamaica’s athletics master class
By Kwame Laurence - TT Express
Story Created: Apr 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM ECT

“I’ve never seen so many outstanding performances in one meet, other than Olympic Games or World Championships. I’m in awe!”
These were the words of Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie during a television interview on the final day of the 2014 Boys’ and Girls’ Athletics Championships at the National Stadium, in Kingston, Jamaica.
The Bahamian sprinter has performed on the biggest stages, earning Olympic relay gold as well as individual and relay titles at Worlds. Yet, her mind was blown by a high school meet.

Well, Ferguson-McKenzie wasn’t the only one who had a jaw-dropping experience last weekend.
Before flying to Jamaica last month, I had received ample warning about the magnitude of the event popularly known as Champs. But seeing is believing, and what I saw last Saturday was unbelievable—an electric atmosphere created by screaming, vuvuzela-blowing fans.
And with a large portion of the 35,000-plus spectators wearing school colours and sitting in specific sections of the stadium, there was a visual spectacle as well.

If passion could be bottled and sold, I would have shipped a few cases back to Trinidad and Tobago, with one case reserved for own Secondary Schools Championships. Forgive me for dreaming.
Jamaica’s two-time Olympic 100 metres gold medallist and multiple IAAF world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce got her first taste of big-meet pressure while still a student at Wolmer’s Girls School.

“I remember walking through the tunnel for the first time in a Champs setting. I came out and saw the crowd and I was ‘oh my God, this is Champs.’ I remember being so little. I made the final of the 100 metres and I was super excited. I came seventh but I was proud.”
The Champs experience has contributed significantly to Fraser-Pryce’s success at the Olympics, the biggest sporting stage of all.
“I’ve already seen this kind of crowd before. I’ve already experienced the adrenalin rush, the butterflies, the everything.”
The Champs meet started last week Tuesday, and climaxed on Saturday night with an impressive fireworks display that celebrated Jamaican athletic excellence. The most fervent participants were the champions—the girls of Edwin Allen High and the boys of Calabar High.
The Champs experience is not limited to the National Stadium. The Calabar troops gathered at their Mayfair Hotel base at the end of day one. Not satisfied with their showing, the defending champions went into battle mode.
Without apology, a senior member tells his teammates: “Die out there. We will bury you.”
That’s intense! But Champs is serious business, and such passion is par for the course.
One athlete could not contain his emotions, shedding tears over his disappointing performance.
“Wipe yuh eye, yuh ah lion,” are the words of consolation offered to the distraught young man.
Tough love, yes. But their methods are tried and tested. The Calabar Lions have won 24 boys’ titles in the 104-year history of Champs.
A 200m bronze medallist at the 2012 Olympics and a silver medallist in the same event at last year’s World Championships, Warren Weir is among the standout athletes who have come through the Calabar system.
Weir is now 24, and long out of school. But once a Lion, always a Lion.

“Everything for the Green and Black at this time of the season,” the former Calabar captain declares. “They look up to me as somebody they saw coming through the same ranks. It’s a wonderful feeling I can go back there and play a major role in their life and inspire them and give them a powerful talk.”
And that’s exactly what Weir did on the Tuesday night, the Jamaica sprint star urging his fellow-Lions to have a “never-say-die” attitude.
Weir was back on duty on Friday, comforting fellow-Lion Michael O’Hara after the promising sprinter had been disqualified for a false start in his Class 1 Boys’ 100m semi-final heat.

The final of that event produced one of the performances of Champs. Eighteen-year-old Anguillan Zharnel Hughes struck gold for Kingston College in a sizzling 10.12 seconds, breaking a seven-year-old Yohan Blake record.
But of the 21 records that fell at Champs 2014, the one that will be indelibly etched in my memory is Javon Francis’ 45 seconds flat in the Class 1 Boys’ 400m final.
With no one to push him, the 19-year-old Calabar Lion took on the clock, and won, erasing Usain Bolt’s 45.35 standard from the books.
Like Ferguson-McKenzie, I stand in awe.

kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:15:25 AM by Socapro »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Mills article is 2 years old. Last Champs 2013 had 27records set. We then went on to "win" our first Global, ie the W-Youth in Ukraine and set 1 WY record and a few Championship medals. Does this imply the elite athletes peaked for Champs?

Regarding what Asafa said...how does that trump watching the race with your own 2 eyes and seeing the obvious?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Farinha will destroy Hughes if Farinha keep going how he does. Looking at both races, both sprinter will be equal to the 60, but Farinha have that extra strength and finishing speed.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Farinha will destroy Hughes if Farinha keep going how he does. Looking at both races, both sprinter will be equal to the 60, but Farinha have that extra strength and finishing speed.

Farinha looked "Boltesque" in that under 20 100m final. Although, I think he will come out on top.. I dont think he will "destroy" Hughes.

That Carifta 100m final is going to be hot. Minzie, Farinha and Hughes will be the ones to watch.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Mills article is 2 years old. Last Champs 2013 had 27records set. We then went on to "win" our first Global, ie the W-Youth in Ukraine and set 1 WY record and a few Championship medals. Does this imply the elite athletes peaked for Champs?

Regarding what Asafa said...how does that trump watching the race with your own 2 eyes and seeing the obvious?

so willi are you saying those athletes were not training the run their best at champs in that 100m?

1]; } ?>