April 29, 2024, 03:48:36 AM

Author Topic: Trini duo making mark on U.S soil.  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Trini duo making mark on U.S soil.
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »
Trini duo making mark on U.S soil.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Only their first season in the U.S and already former St. Augustine Senior Comprehensive midfielder Jevaughn Vance and former Fatima College goalkeeper John-Ramses Thomas are making a name for themselves at the Wayland Baptist University here in the United States.

Vance, who was born in Arima is no stranger when it comes to receiving awards. In 2009 he was voted the Secondary Schools Midfielder of the Year. He scored 12 goals in 15 games in 2009 for St. Augustine Secondary and 10 goals in 12 games in 2008.

As for Plymouth-born John Thomas, he has already played for Trinidad & Tobago National Under 15, Under 17, and Under 20 teams respectively. He played soccer and cricket during his time at Fatima College.

Men's Soccer Assistant Coach Shermon Gardner contacted the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) and mentioned that: "We held our annual Athletic awards reception this past Tuesday and both guys were honored yet again."

"Jevaughn received the award for “Offensive Most Valuable Player”. In head coach Shoffner’s presentation, he mentioned that “ Jevaughn has definitely grown both as a player and a person since his arrival."

"His positive attitude and increased work ethic has made a difference in his overall contribution to the team as a whole. We expect even bigger things of him next year."

Former Trinidad and Tobago National Under-20 goalkeeper John-Ramses Thomas received the award for “Defensive Most Valuable Player”.

"John was invaluable for us this year between the uprights. He already shows great potential and desire to play at the next level and with humility and a good work ethic, the sky is the limit for him."

"He led the conference in saves “93” and started all games since his arrival “16”.

Coach Gardner further stated that: "Although not receiving personal honors, I thought I would also mention the important role that Nikkel Collymore, our third Trinidadian played for us this year."

"Although small in size, Nikkel helped solidify a much improved defense this year with his hard tackling and communication from the back."

"He was also used in several positions early on in the season and these types of players are always a great asset for any team."

"It’s great for our program to know that these guys are only freshman and we know they will be high impact players for this program within the next few years."

"With the new crop of recruits coming in, it should be an even better year in 2012, ended Gardner."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:41:08 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Trini duo making mark on U.S soil.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
Good Stuff

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
But I think that they need to transfer to a more reputable school in the NCAA than this small school in the NAIA.  Playing in such a small 1000 enrollment school in a minor athletics conference will not give them the exposure and competition they need.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »
But I think that they need to transfer to a more reputable school in the NCAA than this small school in the NAIA.  Playing in such a small 1000 enrollment school in a minor athletics conference will not give them the exposure and competition they need.

How does one go about doing that ?  ???

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
Well once they have an F1 (Student visa) they could easily transfer if the other school is interested.  However, many students just don't know that they have options and they are loyal to the school that give them the break.   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
There are NAIA teams that are much better than some NCAA DI and DII schools not in this instance though.

I think it was the ability of this school to offer money that probably drew them there as each NAIA school sets its Athletic Scholarships based on available budget and combined with any academic money they are probably paying next to nothing.  However the difference with the DI and DII schools is that they go through a cycle of available schols. NCAA DI and DII schools have X amount of full  schols available and the difference between them is that at DI there are more scholarships but very few coaches offer full schols as they would rather spread the money out.

What concerns me most about these Christian school are that some of them lack accreditation and solid curricula and this becomes manifested when people try to apply to grad schools.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »
Congrats to players and coaching staff.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »
There are NAIA teams that are much better than some NCAA DI and DII schools not in this instance though.

I think it was the ability of this school to offer money that probably drew them there as each NAIA school sets its Athletic Scholarships based on available budget and combined with any academic money they are probably paying next to nothing.  However the difference with the DI and DII schools is that they go through a cycle of available schols. NCAA DI and DII schools have X amount of full  schols available and the difference between them is that at DI there are more scholarships but very few coaches offer full schols as they would rather spread the money out.

What concerns me most about these Christian school are that some of them lack accreditation and solid curricula and this becomes manifested when people try to apply to grad schools.

Well, they have a grad program in house if no one else would take them ...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »

I get the thrust of what you're saying ... yet, nearly every time one of our college players gets a mention here or a mention there, someone seems to think that the player merits a bigger stage. On what basis? The first thing is to celebrate that these youths are excelling where they are ... it would be worse if they were toiling in absolute obscurity.

Beyond that, there are several players on the US collegiate scene who penetrate the "big time" having spent time toiling in the trenches. If these fellas deserve a bigger platform, supply and demand will work that out.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:05:43 AM »

I get the thrust of what you're saying ... yet, nearly every time one of our college players gets a mention here or a mention there, someone seems to think that the player merits a bigger stage. On what basis? The first thing is to celebrate that these youths are excelling where they are ... it would be worse if they were toiling in absolute obscurity.

Beyond that, there are several players on the US collegiate scene who penetrate the "big time" having spent time toiling in the trenches. If these fellas deserve a bigger platform, supply and demand will work that out.
On this case I can attest that Jevaughn had more than one scholarship opportunity available to him at major D1 schools.  In fact he was already accepted to one but he couldn't meet the NCAA academic requirements in order to play.  The only way he'd be able to transfer is to a D1 school would be to get through the NCAA clearing house.  Thus if he couldn't meet those requirements out of high school, he would have to get his Associates degree in order to transfer and play.   Nonetheless, he is a very very good player.  :beermug:
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »
Thus if he couldn't meet those requirements out of high school, he would have to get his Associates degree in order to transfer and play.   Nonetheless, he is a very very good player.  :beermug:

Why wouldn't he be able to transfer after the first year like any other student?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »

On this case I can attest that Jevaughn had more than one scholarship opportunity available to him at major D1 schools.  In fact he was already accepted to one but he couldn't meet the NCAA academic requirements in order to play.  The only way he'd be able to transfer is to a D1 school would be to get through the NCAA clearing house.  Thus if he couldn't meet those requirements out of high school, he would have to get his Associates degree in order to transfer and play.   Nonetheless, he is a very very good player.  :beermug:

... and this raises a very good point that is sometimes left out of the discussion. Players are brought in as "student-athletes" ... just because a man is in Podunk does not necessarily reflect on his fit as a player or on his playing ability.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
Thus if he couldn't meet those requirements out of high school, he would have to get his Associates degree in order to transfer and play.   Nonetheless, he is a very very good player.  :beermug:

Why wouldn't he be able to transfer after the first year like any other student?

Even after the accumulation of a year in residency, he could be deficient in meeting D-I eligibility requirements. He could be eligible to transfer to a D-I institution as a regular student, but he still wouldn't meet the muster of the D-I manual to play ... given the variance between institutional academic policy and NCAA academic requirements governing athletes.

I don't know the young man's circumstances, but from what Arimaman is saying ... he wasn't a Qualifier.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:21:38 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »

Even after the accumulation of a year in residency, he could be deficient in meeting D-I eligibility requirements. He could be eligible to transfer to a D-I institution as a regular student, but he still wouldn't meet the muster of the D-I manual to play ... given the variance between institutional academic policy and NCAA academic requirements governing athletes.

I don't know the young man's circumstances, but from what Arimaman is saying ... he wasn't a Qualifier.

Okay... I wasn't thinking in terms of residency requirements, not sure that matters... more along the lines of meeting the academic threshold, and thinking a year would be sufficient.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
NCAA terminology ... year in residence.

14.3 FRESHMAN ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
14.3.1 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition. A student-athlete who enrolls in a
member institution as an entering freshman with no previous full-time college attendance shall meet the following academic requirements, as certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center, as approved by the Executive Committee, and any applicable institutional and conference regulations, to be considered a qualifier and thus be eligible for financial aid, practice and competition during the first academic year in residence. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/94, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/97, 3/22/06, 5/9/07)

14.3.1.1 Qualifier. A qualifier is defined as one who is a high school graduate and who presented the following academic qualifications: (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/95)

(a) A minimum cumulative grade-point average as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1.2 (based on a maximum 4.000) in a successfully completed core curriculum of at least 16 academic courses per Bylaw 14.3.1.2, including the following: (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/90, 1/14/94 effective 8/1/96, 1/11/00 effective 8/1/00, 11/1/01 effective 8/1/05, 10/31/02 effective 8/1/03 and 8/1/05, 4/24/03 effective 8/1/08 for those student athletes first entering a collegiate institution on or after 8/1/08)

English 4 years

Mathematics (Three years of mathematics courses at the level of Algebra I
or higher). (Computer science courses containing significant programming
elements that meet graduation requirements in the area of mathematics also may
be accepted.) 3 years

Natural or physical science (including at least one laboratory course if offered by
the high school). (Computer science courses containing significant programming
elements that meet graduation requirements in the area of natural or physical
science also may be accepted.) 2 years

Additional courses in English, mathematics, or natural or physical science 1 year

Social science 2 years

Additional academic courses [in any of the above areas or foreign language, philosophy or nondoctrinal religion (e.g., comparative religion) courses] 4 years

The record of the above courses and course grades must be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center
using either an official high school transcript forwarded directly from the high school or a high school
transcript forwarded by an institution’s admissions office; and (Revised: 2/9/95, 4/27/06, 5/9/07)

(b) A minimum combined score on the SAT critical reading and math sections or a minimum sum score on the ACT as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1.2. The required SAT or ACT score must be achieved under national testing conditions on a national testing date [no residual (campus) testing or regional testing dates] except that a state-administered ACT may be used to meet the test-score requirement. (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/92, 1/16/93, 5/31/06)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »
The NAIA requirements to play are a little more stringent than the NCAA. NCAA DI has a sliding scale done primarily for football and basketball. Technically if a student-athlete has a 400 SAT score combined Math and Verbal (doh laugh it happens) they need like a 3.5 or higher GPA but they must also have the required reading and math classes for 3 years on their high school transcripts. Allyuh remember Lloyd Daniels.
DII requires a 820 minimum SAT.
The NAIA requires that a student-athlete meet 2 out of the following 3. SAT 860 or better math and Verbal, be ranked in the top 50% of graduating class or have a GPA 2.0 or better.
What I've found is that a lot of schools are leaving the NAIA and headed for DII and I think it's due to the NAIA's approach to previous play before entering college. They are assessing leagues without having any intimate knowledge of those leagues so a lot of players who would traditionally have 4 years of eligibility now have 3. This is happening mostly in basketball and soccer and especially with kids who play in summer leagues that have other college athletes.
In terms of transferring from any program after the first year it all depends on how well the student has done first year meaning that they have to have completed successfully a minimum of 24 credits. Summer courses do not apply towards that,

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »
14.3.2 Eligibility for Financial Aid, Practice and Competition—Nonqualifier.

14.3.2.1 Nonqualifier. A nonqualifier is a student who has not graduated from high school or who, at the time specified in the regulation (see Bylaw 14.3), did not present the core-curriculum grade-point average and/or SAT/ACT score required for a qualifier.

14.3.2.1.1 Eligibility for Aid, Practice and Competition. An entering freshman with no previous
college attendance who was a nonqualifier at the time of enrollment in a Division I institution shall not be
eligible for regular-season competition or practice during the first academic year in residence. However, sucha student shall be eligible for nonathletics institutional financial aid that is not from an athletics source and is based on financial need only, consistent with institutional and conference regulations. (Revised: 1/10/95effective 8/1/96)

14.3.2.2 Practice-Session Attendance. A student-athlete who is a nonqualifier and who, therefore, is not
eligible for practice, may not attend any practice sessions in any capacity, nor may the student-athlete attend any meeting characterized as practice (see Bylaw 17.02.1). (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/96, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96)

14.3.2.3 Outside Competition—Nonqualifier. A nonqualifier may participate in the institution’s intramural
program (provided the intramural team is not coached by a member of the institution’s athletics department
staff), but during the first year of enrollment, such an individual is not permitted to practice or compete
on an institutional club team or on an outside sports team.

14.3.4 Residence Requirement—Nonqualifier.
A nonqualifier must fulfill an academic year of residence
in order to be eligible for practice, competition and athletically related financial aid (see Bylaw 14.3.2.1.1).

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D112.pdf

SEE 14.5 for Transfer Regulations.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
the question is when time to pick...who they representing.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 10:46:20 AM »
don't they have to be good enough first to get pick? Their conference isn't that competitive

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »
don't they have to be good enough first to get pick? Their conference isn't that competitive
Sometimes it's about the availability of offers and who is advising them.  I'd say sometimes men just want an opportunity and that's an individual decision where they decide to go. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
continue to blossom and get allyuh degrees.........

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
Sometimes it's about the availability of offers and who is advising them.  I'd say sometimes men just want an opportunity and that's an individual decision where they decide to go. 
I agree with you. I was just referring to "who they representing" as I took that to mean that they are qualified enough to be considered for the national team.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
I agree with you. I was just referring to "who they representing" as I took that to mean that they are qualified enough to be considered for the national team.
:beermug: :beermug:  I hear you.  I wish I had the opportunity to speak with kids at 13 or 14 to explain to them what it takes to be successful here in the US.  Luckily my HS coach went thru the US system when I was in trini  but even then I was so ignorant about the process.  It is so so important for kids to understand at a young age the opportunities available to them when they are good players with strong academic qualifications. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
We should arrange the 1st Annual Socawarriors College Showcase.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
We should arrange the 1st Annual Socawarriors College Showcase.
A good idea but to what ends. There are a lot of logistics involved in terms of housing, training and transportation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:25 AM »
There is no training component as far as the model I have in mind. Goalkeepers would have a separate situation and would then be included in a format of 8 v.8 (or something similar). The number of participating players would be capped at a number that would permit say ... an even # of elevens. I'm going to be at one this weekend where the cap is 50. I did one last year at a different location where the cap allowed for four squads with certain players rotated in and out.

Housing? Not a factor per se. A one day format could be employed ... so too a two day. It depends on what we prioritize ... and possibly the location. In any event, housing isn't one of the costs we would absorb as facilitators.

I think there could be benefits to having one on Trini soil and another on US soil. It really eh all that hard.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
Tobago-born goalie signs with North American club.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFA).

Former T&T youth team goalkeeper John-Ramses Thomas is among three goalkeepers signed by the Southern West Virginia King’s Warriors for their upcoming season in the United States. The announcement was made by King’s Warriors’ head coach and technical director Scott Reitnour.

Jonathan Davis, a sophomore from North Carolina State University, Alex Guyer, a junior from Hastings College (Nebraska) and Thomas, a senior from Wayland Baptist University (Texas), will all be members of Southern West Virginia’s goal-tending group and “last line of defense” for this year.

The King’s Warriors are members of the United Soccer League’s top amateur league, the Premier Development League (PDL). The PDL is North America’s top developmental amateur league.

Thomas will be the oldest goalie for the King’s Warriors this season after enjoying a superb junior season in 2013 for the Wayland Baptist University Pioneers. He started all 18 games for the Pioneers as Wayland Baptist finished the 2013 campaign ranked No 14 in the NAIA Men’s Soccer Modified Rankings. John also was named “Defensive Player of the Year” for the Sooner Athletic Conference for Men’s Soccer and was named to the conference’s First Team.

Thomas, who was born in Plymouth, Tobago said: “It’s a great opportunity to meet new people and grow as a student of the beautiful game. It’s my goal to give my best to the team for the duration of this period and to do my utmost that we can be the best that we can be. I hope to also improve with the great experience from the coaches there, and be ready and willing to share and all in all, have fun.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 03:03:06 AM »
Great to hear he's in the game - anyone been able to catch a game of either of them in the past 3 years?

1]; } ?>