March 28, 2024, 03:28:29 PM

Author Topic: Technical Director Anton Corneal calls it a day.  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Technical Director Anton Corneal calls it a day.
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
Technical Director Anton Corneal calls it a day.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) employee Anton Corneal has stepped down the post as Technical Director (TD) of T&T football because of the TTFA short-comings and inability to fulfill their financial obligations to the former T&T Strike Squad player.

Corneal has held the Technical Director since the Association were still known as Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation (TTFF). In September 2012 in a T&T Express report with Tony Hartford of All Sports Promotions stated that Anton was actually selling lettuce in the market to survive because of situation between the TTFF and the T&T Government.

In 2011, Sports Minister Anil Roberts reached an agreement with the almost bankrupt TTFF which would have allowed for several national football teams to be funded and coaches to be paid.

However, that arrangement were broken down since Trinidad and Tobago's elimination from the 2014 World Cup qualifying by Guyana. Permanent secretary Ashwin Creed were also in the thick of things.

TTFA boss, Raymond Tim Kee recently stated that he wanted stability for all local coaches and had plans to secure the services of coaches, for the various national teams, on a long-term basis.

He was quoted saying that: “What I do know is I have had some discussions with (coach Stephen) Hart, (director of football Leo) Beenhakker and (technical director Anton) Corneal, all with a view of putting in place coaches and technical staff for each segments of our game."

He continued, “It is hoped that those people who would be appointed would have some sort of security of tenure, in that we want to go into contracts. Not only that, we would no longer be having engagements of football when there is a tournament ahead, added Tim Kee."

Today, it seems the new association is still haunted by the same old TTFF ghost as the cash-strapped Association is at a standstill and is in need of some desperate financial assistance.

Corneal told the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) that: "It was a decision that took months of considerations, one being the inability of the TTFA to fulfill their financial obligations to me, I have been living on promises for much too long hoping the situation changes."

"I have lost the ability to plan my life financially, I have two kids and a household to see about. So I made a decision to give myself an opportunity to seek other forms of employment without having the commitment to the TTFA."

"The development of youth football should be prioritized in any sport association this ensures sustainable National teams at the senior level. I do not have any specific plans at this time. I just want to say thanks for all the support given over this period by all who support us, ended Corneal."

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:55:11 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Technical Director Anton Corneal calls it a day.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:44 PM »
Fair enough :salute:

As a citizen, I would like to thank Mr Corneal for his yeoman service to T&T football
I seriously applaud his efforts in trying to mould the youth into champions or at a minimum productive citizens.
Moreover, because he has had to overcome many years of difficulties created by the previously inept footballing administration. I hope he has a good future in some private capacity.

ok,, that being said...anton riiiiiiiide de cuddersmunt ouuuut jed,,pleeeze doh come back,,open ah skool or  a doubles cart or someting......and bun yuh fadder typewriter, we eh want to see no more incomprehensible ego stroking artikle in de papers no more
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
Bunch of jokers in the TTFA.
Mixed feelings for young Cornmeal. Was and is part of the Renraw bamcee-licking cabal that has the system so dysfunctional.
At the same time he is knowledgeable about football and tries to contribute ... of course on his terms.
Didn't seem to do much to help when the socawarriors were on the breadline suffering and getting blacklisted.
Cyah feel too sorry if he eh geh paid now. But watch this space ... we eh see the last of him as ah feel he likes the power to protect his financial interest in his family's football empire..
Surely Beenie is watching this job for "Director of football" and saying "not me and T&T nah!"
Let's see which vulture will take up a free wok with the TTFA now .... or ..... is Beenie on his way?
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
Strange, I was now coming to post something.

All I can say is everything in Trinidad and Tobago is in a mess here. From the politics to our football.

The new so call Association is in a standstill without any means of a way forward. They have no plans or ideas to move forward. And is fooling the public to buy time because they are lost.

Presently their are no programs running.

The senior team are struggling to receive any budget for the ministry of sports.

The Ministry want to do their own thing and plays politics with our football.

Imagine, they even doing their own advertising for coaches and a TD. By the way, Anton Corneal resign the TD post.

I cannot understand what is happening with the federation, they had a decent thing going but fell flat now.

It's a money grab in the Ministry to get their hands on dollars.

I now see why so many of our teams are struggling on the International stage and basically everything is running the same old style and fashion.

Last minute preparation, no pay to staff and a complete lack of professionalism. We going into 3 top friendly games with no idea and no preparations. The players are even confute because they do not know if they will be called.

Imagine the Pro league gets about 8-10 million from Government, which is fine, but where is the incentive to make things better if you getting that kind of money?

So when the Gov't say they put X amount of Millions into football. They not lying! its just not into National teams and its development for youth teams.

I expect more of the staffs to resign soon.

Real Bacchanal in Trini.

Jack Warner legacy is alive and kicking.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Arkse AAAA-neil... and the Sports Company  ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
Expect more changes to come soon.

Anil Roberts is a goat.

And the association is clueless on how to move forward.

Interesting times ahead.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Corneal quits Warriors; TTFA confirms departure of technical director
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Local football received another shock yesterday when Anton Corneal, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) technical director, quit his post amidst unpaid debts and a perceived lack of respect from within the association.

Corneal, who accepted a four-year contract to arrest the decline in the local game in 2012, handed his resignation in to the TTFA executive committee yesterday, effective 21 April 2014. The coach, a former national player and the son of local football icon Alvin Corneal, told Wired868 that he could not go on any longer in the face of the football body’s precarious financial position and the uncertainty regarding his own remuneration.

Corneal’s salary was supposed to be divided equally between the TTFA and the SPORTT Company. However, while the SPORTT Company has made payments at intervals, he has never received a cent from his principle employer. He claimed the outstanding sum runs into seven figures.

“I have gotten eight half salaries from the government in two and a half years,” Corneal told Wired868.

“But at least I am getting something. I have not been paid by one dollar by the TTFA and I think that is not just disrespectful; it is gravely disrespectful.

“They didn’t even say ‘instead of 10 dollars, take three dollars’. I have bills and a family like everybody else. I did it for as long as I could... They cannot honour my contract financially and I couldn’t do it anymore.”

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips confirmed receipt of Corneal’s resignation letter and said the outgoing technical director did a fantastic job and was a valuable member of staff.

“The resignation wasn’t a surprise,” said Phillips. “It is something that had been in discussion with the financial situation around the association and it is a decision that we respect. We acknowledge the receipt of the resignation and will discuss it further over the couple days and then issue a release.

“We have been very upfront with Anton from the beginning in terms of what our plans were to deal with the arrears and we are still in the process of doing that… He said he didn’t know how long he could last but he lasted quite a long time and did a yeoman’s task.”

Corneal is at least the third TTFA coach to withdraw his services due to the inability of the football body, led by president Raymond Tim Kee and Phillips, to raise the funding necessary to run the local game.

Tim Kee was elected unopposed as president in November 2012 and appointed Phillips as general secretary in May 2013. The TTFA president does not have a full-time role with the association, which is run by the general secretary.

Former national under-17 team assistant coach and former “Strike Squad” star Leonson Lewis resigned last December after more than two and a half years without a single payment.

Last year, Trinidad and Tobago’s 2006 World Cup coach Leo Beenhakker, a former Netherlands and Real Madrid boss, refused to take up a position as TTFA Director of Football until all national coaching debts are cleared.

Corneal expressed admiration for Beenhakker’s “principled stance” and hinted that things might get worse if funding is not sourced to support head coach Stephen Hart.

However, Phillips, who claimed to be days away from a major sponsor in early February, insisted that the TTFA should be able to unveil its first deal by the end of April. He suggested that the football body should be able to source the funds necessary to run effectively by June although it would take longer to clear arrears.

“We have several corporate partners that have committed but haven’t sent anything as yet,” said Phillips. “Companies are shifting gears from Carnival and that is still ongoing.”

Corneal revealed that the financial problem was not his only issue as technical director. Although he described his relationship with Phillips as “cordial”, he suggested that the general secretary had not given him the necessary support enjoyed by previous technical directors including Phillips’ father, Lincoln Phillip.

“I think the support system for me to do my job properly as technical director was not there,” said Corneal. “Normally, a technical director works with a technical department. I don’t even have a desk in the federation or the facility of a phone; and you should see the size of my phone bill because I have to call back players all over the world.

“My initial contract had a car and housing but, when they got three cars, I was not given one despite the amount of travelling in my job… I spoke on more than one occasion with the general secretary and the chairman of our technical committee, Rudi Thomas, has written on behalf but nothing happened.

“Probably I should have made a stand right away but I went and tried to do things until better could be put in place.”

Phillips declined to comment on the supposed lack of support given to his former technical director.

“I am not going to get into those issues,” he said. “Those things require funding which we are in the process of getting. It will take some time to undo the damage that has been done over the last couple of years…

“We do feel we are progressing towards that point but unfortunately the time frame did not work in his favour.”

Corneal’s term as technical director has not been free of criticism.

Former Strike Squad coach and local football legend Everald “Gally” Cummings once suggested that Corneal did not deserve the job in the first place. And at least one youth team coach complained that he overstepped his mark in his interaction with that particular team.

Corneal countered that the technical director of the Netherlands and Mexico teams sit on the bench of their youth teams since development is part of their remit. He insisted he only assisted when there were requests or a need by the team.

“It was a decision to help,” said Corneal. “I did 80 percent of the sessions for the under-20 women’s team in the month or two before the tournament and, at the time, I had more experience than the coach by far.”

Most national coaches spoke warmly about Corneal’s support, work-rate and willingness to sacrifice for the local game; although they preferred to speak to their departed colleague before making an official statement.

Two years ago, Corneal used his land to grow and sell corn, pumpkin and lettuce to make ends meet while he went without financial compensation from the TTFF.

He insisted that he is still willing to work for the local game but he simply cannot make that personal sacrifice anymore; even though he does not yet have a job lined up.

“I enjoyed serving the people of Trinidad and Tobago and the support I got from the football family including the media,” said Corneal. “I enjoyed working with the (TTFA) staff and a lot of them have to go through the same thing as me. My heart will always be in Trinidad and Tobago and the development of football…

“But, at 50, I am at the age where I have to start planning my life a bit better. And it is hard not being able to plan because you never know when money is coming again.

“I did it for as long as I could. I put football even ahead of my family. But there seems to be no solution and no end in sight. Enough is enough.”

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:42:30 AM by Flex »

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
As I told you guys once.

Sheldon Phillips started real good and after 6 months he will fall in between the cracks like his old man.

And you guys blaming Jack Warner.

Who will you blame now?

I am awaiting comments.

I suspect Stephen Hart will walk soon.

Hurry hurry come for curry.

The same old men in charge and wants new results.

Lincoln and Tim Kee controlling T&T football, we heading down.

And them men could talk a good game.

Indestructible footballs for a destructible federation.

I await TTFA fall guy Sheldon to come up with some excuse.

I wonder if he's getting paid?

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
Watch and see Anton turn up in one of them role that the MoS advertise the other day. These fellas to smart yes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
Watch and see Anton turn up in one of them role that the MoS advertise the other day. These fellas to smart yes.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:24 AM »
As I told you guys once.

Sheldon Phillips started real good and after 6 months he will fall in between the cracks like his old man.

And you guys blaming Jack Warner.

Who will you blame now?

I am awaiting comments.

I suspect Stephen Hart will walk soon.

Hurry hurry come for curry.

The same old men in charge and wants new results.

Lincoln and Tim Kee controlling T&T football, we heading down.

And them men could talk a good game.

Indestructible footballs for a destructible federation.

I await TTFA fall guy Sheldon to come up with some excuse.

I wonder if he's getting paid?

This could be partially solved by your messiah giving back the money he stole. Has he any plans to do so?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:26:28 AM »
Anton Corneal will just resign?

I doubt that.

Expect to see him in some big position soon.

On de flip side, this TTFA really starting to go down after starting off so good.

I hope something is done, I really thought Sheldon would make a big impact, but it seems he going down the same road?

I hope I am wrong, because my blood take de guy.

Sheldon, if you reading this, there are many people here who would love to help, dont be like the ole TTFF and feel you can do it all and everything is a secret.

Fix the problem instead of hosting short-term youth football clinics.

Grassroot football can only work when its consistent and when you have the finance to do it, you cant have youth football clinics for a one time and then forget about it.

Utilize the money.

LP love T&T football, I am sure, make your own legacy, come off his shadow.

Ent last month, I thought Sheldon say he was on the verge on a sponsorship?

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/senior-team-news/federation-news/13657-ttfa-claims-mystery-sponsor-admits-beenhakker-will-return-on-one-condition.html

Was this another rush release without confirmed info.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:30:13 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »

Hmmm, dahis ah intriguing ting yuh raise dey.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
Is Shaun Fuentes, David Muhammad, Sheldon Phillips and other staff members being paid for their services?

Seeing that Sheldon is basically a foreigner. Who pays for his living?

I wonder if Hart, Charles and King is being paid?

I am not sure if the government should be the sole provider?

Just asking ok guys.

Why are their always some negativity with T&T football don't matter who take over?

So we can expect another law suit?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:14:29 AM by Errol »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »
So whole do we have to take up this TD position now ??
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
I don't think Sheldon is a foreigner. I think he born here. As a matter of fact, I think all of LP children born here. Could be wrong.

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
I don't think Sheldon is a foreigner. I think he born here. As a matter of fact, I think all of LP children born here. Could be wrong.

Yes, he was born in T&T but grew up and resides in the US.

See Flex interview with him.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=61249.msg880143#msg880143

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:04:48 AM by Errol »

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »

Lincoln.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »

I hear is Coops.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

If he wukkin in T&T, how yuh mean he resides in de US?

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »

True, so I guess he sold his house in the US and is living in T&T full time now.

You so anal.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »

True, so I guess he sold his house in the US and is living in T&T full time now.

You so anal.

Does he commute to work by plane every day? Is he in the country only a few days a week? A month? You tell me.

(By de way, Trini duss talk so now?)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:41:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »

I hear is Coops.

Lord Faddah!!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
Anton Corneal will just resign?

I doubt that.

Expect to see him in some big position soon.

On de flip side, this TTFA really starting to go down after starting off so good.

I hope something is done, I really thought Sheldon would make a big impact, but it seems he going down the same road?

I hope I am wrong, because my blood take de guy.

Sheldon, if you reading this, there are many people here who would love to help, dont be like the ole TTFF and feel you can do it all and
everything is a secret.

Fix the problem instead of hosting short-term youth football clinics.

Grassroot football can only work when its consistent and when you have the finance to do it, you cant have youth football clinics for a one time and then forget about it.

Utilize the money.

LP love T&T football, I am sure, make your own legacy, come off his shadow.

Ent last month, I thought Sheldon say he was on the verge on a sponsorship?

http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/senior-team-news/federation-news/13657-ttfa-claims-mystery-sponsor-admits-beenhakker-will-return-on-one-condition.html

Was this another rush release without confirmed info.

The TTFA needs money... you could help with that?

btw Lasana, de word is "principal"... not "principle (employer)."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Sheldon is a good guy, give him some time. Its not easy selling T&T football. However, all that could change if we do good vs Iran, Argentina and Colombia and then we have the Caribbean Cup coming up.

I hope something works out though, a lack of preparations could do us more harm than good and a lot of people are not to happy about the politics with T&T football and the MoS and, the current STANDSTILL by the TTFA.

No one is talking about moving forward.

We'll see.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 02:50:51 AM »
I am sorry the way things went down and I hope Anton gets his pay.

However.

This is another bright day in T&T football.

The sun will shine, finally, the Corneals are gone from T&T football.

I am very happy.

I hope Tim Kee and Sheldon gets some sponsors soon. They will benefit in the long run.

Alvin and his chipmonkes are finally gone.

And I know Anton is a decent guy, but the Corneal claws are to deep into T&T football.

:applause:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:52:36 AM by Sando »

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

See ya, I won't miss ya.

But one question though. What took you so long?
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Corneal them eh going noway. Watch how things going and unfold.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
I must hv been outside for far to long, but could someone explain how the Corneals have such an influence in Trini football, I'm hearing people refer to it as the "Corneal Empire." Just not sure how these guys are regarded as such an immense force in the game in recent times...

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »
Praise God...

1]; } ?>