April 29, 2024, 01:26:04 AM

Author Topic: Andrews is a cult hero with Rangers and Raith Rovers  (Read 525 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andrews is a cult hero with Rangers and Raith Rovers
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
Andrews is a cult hero with Rangers and Raith and he just can't choose between his first love and an old flame
By Mark Wilson (Daily Mail)

Faith will keep Marvin Andrews away from Easter Road on Sunday. The 4.05pm kick-off is simply too close to the evening session at the Zion Praise Centre.

At least the clash of times will save this lay preacher from the wicked dilemma of picking an end to sit in, a scarf to wear.

The club where he started his career in Scotland against the club where he achieved his greatest success. And it just happens to be taking place at a stadium which holds some of his most treasured memories.

A cult hero with both Raith Rovers and Rangers, Andrews views the Ramsdens Cup final as a win-win situation. No matter the outcome, he will celebrate the victors before the prayers of his higher calling.

'I'll need to watch it on television because I have church at night at 7pm,' he told Sportsmail.

'Rangers will be favourites but favourites do not always win the trophy.

'I would love it if both could win. That would be perfect – but impossible. These two clubs have been a great part of my life and my career. Their fans treated me so well, so they will always be special to me.'

Their meeting this weekend also provides a perfect opportunity for reflection. Now 38 and still playing in League One with Forfar, Andrews has amassed a career that is all but unique. Medical science stands among the opponents his huge frame has swatted aside.

Always colourful, occasionally controversial, he has been one of the game's most fascinating characters ever since he first set foot in Scotland some 17 years ago.

He's still here. Still living in the town that gave him a chance to be a professional player. Still trying to come to terms with the cold. Still thankful for all that has come his way.

The question of what his life would have been like had he not taken up the opportunity to make this country his second home is met with a thoughtful pause.

'I think I would be living in regret,' said Andrews. 'The amount of places I have been, the amount of lives I have touched and been a blessing to… I think I would be living a life of regret in Trinidad and Tobago at this time.

'I might not even be alive today. Because I wouldn't be fulfilling what God has put me on Earth to do.'

READ MORE...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>