April 20, 2024, 12:55:06 AM

Author Topic: The ice bucket challenge progressing to former national players  (Read 2554 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Let's see if Dwight and others will come to the forefront.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11389636

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:05:33 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: The ice bucket challenge progressing to former national players
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:03:15 AM »
Everything is a follow fashion in T&T.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
this challenge is ridiculous.. what the hell does it prove???

the best one is Shaq... he had me rolling, basically he show it up as nonsense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJEJ8SUtrbw
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:47:44 PM by Controversial »

Offline toonmili

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »
Well I won't bash it because before the challenge came about no one was talking about ALS and no one was donating money to ALS research and treatment. If someone told me that if I dumb some ice-water on my head I could encourage people to donate millions to a charity of my choosing I'll do it.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:33:44 AM »
this challenge is ridiculous.. what the hell does it prove???

the best one is Shaq... he had me rolling, basically he show it up as nonsense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJEJ8SUtrbw

It's just a bit of fun like the flash mob craze. No harm to anyone!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
Well I won't bash it because before the challenge came about no one was talking about ALS and no one was donating money to ALS research and treatment. If someone told me that if I dumb some ice-water on my head I could encourage people to donate millions to a charity of my choosing I'll do it.

i hope people really donate the money, you know some just doing it bc they think its a craze... attention seeking for the most part... hopefully that money does go to the charity..

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
it seems like the celebrities donating not too sure bout the average attention whores on FB though
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »
it seems like the celebrities donating not too sure bout the average attention whores on FB though

That's always the fear, but evne in self-serving, they bring attention to the charities involved, so still an indirect effect.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »
Scottish Teen Dies in ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Tragedy
By Mark Piggott, IB Times

Cameron Lancaster, 18, died in a tragedy linked to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The death of an 18-year-old Scottish man in a flooded quarry is being linked to the “ice bucket challenge.”

Cameron Lancaster, of Burntisland, Fife, died Sunday. Emergency services — Police Scotland, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, and the Scottish Ambulance Service — were called to Preston Hill Quarry near Inverkeithing after he disappeared at around 5 p.m. His body was recovered at around 9 p.m. after four hours underwater.

In a statement, Lancaster’s family said: “Cameron died in a tragic accident. His death is such a great loss. During his short life, he touched so many people with his friendliness, kindness and thoughtful generosity of spirit. He will be hugely missed by his family and friends. The family are finding it hard to come to terms with this sudden loss and would ask for privacy.”

Although the exact circumstances of Lancaster’s death are yet to be established, locals say youths have been “tomb-stoning” into the quarry in a new take on the “ice bucket challenge,” which has gone viral recently. Usually participants are drenched in freezing buckets of water for charity.

Local councillor Alice McGarry said: “There are rumors and speculation that this tragedy is linked to the ice bucket challenge. Some children have been jumping off the cliffs at the quarry. They have always done that, but it seems there has been a recent increase because of this challenge. There is no confirmation at this stage, but that is what we think has happened. I saw a video of another boy jumping from one of the edges last week so this could be related.”

Wilma Sutherland, 41, told The Independent: “I asked my son who’s 15 if he had heard anything, and he told me that a young guy had taken part in the ice bucket challenge and then jumped in the quarry and didn’t come up. It’s a popular spot for swimming, and I’ve seen lots of teenagers jumping in.”

A police spokesman said: “Inquiries are under way to establish the full circumstances of what happened, and Police Scotland’s thoughts are with the family.”

The ice bucket challenge started as a way to raise money for motor neuron disease. Thousands of people including celebrities such as Victoria Beckham, President George W. Bush, and many others, though critics have claimed most participants simply want to take part without donating money.

Ironically the co-founder of the ALS ice bucket challenge, Corey Griffin, drowned following a diving accident on Aug. 16.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »

That's always the fear, but evne in self-serving, they bring attention to the charities involved, so still an indirect effect.

True. At the very least it should raise awareness of the disease even if some people cannot afford to donate. Although everyone is having fun with it, I've noticed that people are usually quick to challenge someone else without taking the moment to mention the significance of the challenge as it relates to ALS. Some people miss the point entirely. Nevertheless this was a brilliant idea!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »

True. At the very least it should raise awareness of the disease even if some people cannot afford to donate. Although everyone is having fun with it, I've noticed that people are usually quick to challenge someone else without taking the moment to mention the significance of the challenge as it relates to ALS. Some people miss the point entirely. Nevertheless this was a brilliant idea!

I think many of them have no clue it's a charity stunt. But the more that we talk about it, the more people become aware so, no harm no foul.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:09 PM »
According to the Ministry of Health, Heart Disease is the number 1 cause of death amongst Trinbagonians, accounting for just over 20% of deaths annually and affecting hundreds of athletes worldwide. Within the last year we have lost two brothers in sport Akeem Adams aged 22 and Kevon Carter aged 30 to heart related deaths.
At DIRECTV WConnection FC, we have personally felt the effects of Heart Disease as our former captain and U18 Reserve Team Coach Clyde Leon at 30 years of age was diagnosed with Heart disease
What has come to be known as “The Ice Bucket Challenge” has recently been taken up by Athletes, Celebrities and regular persons around the United States to raise awareness for a disease called ALS also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease which is a progressive neurodegenerative disease affecting nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord that can result in paralysis.
Lou Gehrig was a professional American Baseball Player of the 1920’s and 30’s that was diagnosed with ALS. The Ice Bucket Challenge was popularized in July of this year by Golfer Chris Kennedy to raise awareness and funds for ALS and has spread like rapid fire across social media.
Today we at DIRECTV WConnection FC are taking on the Ice Bucket Challenge for Heart Health to raise awareness for Heart Disease and Heart Health and we encourage you and other athletes to get educated about it and get yourselves checked.
On Saturday 20th September when we meet Central FC in the DIGICEL Charity Shield and win, we’re going to donate our $10,000 to Clyde Leon and the Trinidad & Tobago Heart Foundation.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=692165550876093&set=vb.325071234252195&type=2&theater

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
According to the Ministry of Health, Heart Disease is the number 1 cause of death amongst Trinbagonians, accounting for just over 20% of deaths annually and affecting hundreds of athletes worldwide. Within the last year we have lost two brothers in sport Akeem Adams aged 22 and Kevon Carter aged 30 to heart related deaths.
At DIRECTV WConnection FC, we have personally felt the effects of Heart Disease as our former captain and U18 Reserve Team Coach Clyde Leon at 30 years of age was diagnosed with Heart disease
What has come to be known as “The Ice Bucket Challenge” has recently been taken up by Athletes, Celebrities and regular persons around the United States to raise awareness for a disease called ALS also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease which is a progressive neurodegenerative disease affecting nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord that can result in paralysis.
Lou Gehrig was a professional American Baseball Player of the 1920’s and 30’s that was diagnosed with ALS. The Ice Bucket Challenge was popularized in July of this year by Golfer Chris Kennedy to raise awareness and funds for ALS and has spread like rapid fire across social media.
Today we at DIRECTV WConnection FC are taking on the Ice Bucket Challenge for Heart Health to raise awareness for Heart Disease and Heart Health and we encourage you and other athletes to get educated about it and get yourselves checked.
On Saturday 20th September when we meet Central FC in the DIGICEL Charity Shield and win, we’re going to donate our $10,000 to Clyde Leon and the Trinidad & Tobago Heart Foundation.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=692165550876093&set=vb.325071234252195&type=2&theater

:applause: :applause:  This is a very worthwhile and pertinent gesture. A couple of weeks ago, Marvin Oliver challenged W.Connection to the ice bucket challenge. It was a bit of fun, the guys having a laugh. I don't believe that Marvin or the rest of the lads actually knew the meaning of the challenge or the reason it was designed. So, hat's off to W.Connection, for raising awareness.

On Thursday 4th September, the entire Central F.C. squad will be receiving full medical screenings, including ECG's and we are purchasing a defibrillator, which will be at every training session and game. There will be full press coverage as we, like W.Connection, want to raise awareness of heart disease. Aside from the tragedy with Akeem Adams and then Kevon Carter, one of our players had chest pains last October and it scared all of us at the club. Thankfully, we have medical insurance to cover our players, so the player was able to undergo various tests and screenings.

I think it's great that W.Connection are doing this and I hope more sports teams recognise their duty of care to their players and their ability to influence their supporters.

1]; } ?>