April 26, 2024, 06:32:53 AM

Author Topic: ANR Robinson has passed  (Read 3571 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
ANR Robinson has passed
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Breaking on CNC3 now  :(

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: ANR Robinson has passed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
had d balls to make the unpopular decisions amid all the hostility..................was too young at d time to truly appreciate the true state of economic affairs at d time...........it had to get worse to get better...respect

RIP
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
Yeah just heard it on Power 105. Sad news, RIP to one of our good ex-PMs and Presidents.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:23:31 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »
had d balls to make the unpopular decisions amid all the hostility........................it had to get worse to get better...respect

RIP

COSIGNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
He altered the political environment in many lingering ways ... thus he has a definite legacy, more favourable than not.

When he was an active politician, from my distance as a budding observer of the process, it wasn't clear-cut whether he was merely a practitioner of politics informed by personality (for instance, opposing personalities rather than substantive policies). Today, in some ways he remains an enigma ... but I'll chalk that up to a deficit in my appreciation of some elements of his political history.

Had an opportunity to observe his delivery up close post-coup attempt ... I expected more charisma, more incisive analysis and less of an understated, reactionary distillation of events. Frankly, I recall being "disappointed".  The reality though is he didn't set a foot wrong ... I just expected more.

Nevertheless, within the pantheon of the West Indian political class, I've come to view him as possessing virtues lacked by significantly many others. Certainly not all political actors are capable of transcending the Office of the PM to the Presidency.

RIP, indeed!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:34:48 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
RIP Robbie!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
RIP Mr Robinson. My fondest memory as a youth was when you called on the people to clean up the country.. I took real pride in that! First time I've witnessed Trinbagonians truly working together.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
The man who defied terrorists
By Kevin Baldeosingh
Trinidad Express
Story Created: Apr 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM ECT
Story Updated: Apr 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM ECT

He was the only Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago to have the unfortunate opportunity, and the strength of character, to defy Islamic terrorists.

With a gun pointed to his head during the 1990 coup attempt, Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson, the third Prime Minister of T&T, was given a telephone and ordered by Jamaat-al-Muslimeen insurgents holding him hostage in Parliament to tell the Army to back down. Instead, Mr Robinson shouted into the receiver, “Attack with full force!”

For his defiance, he was beaten by his captors and shot in the kneecap – an injury that would stay with him for the rest of his days.

Born on December 16, 1926 in Calder Hall, Tobago, Robinson became the first and only person to hold the three highest offices of Trinidad and Tobago: Chairman of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), from 1981-1986; Prime Minister from 1986-1991; and President of T&T from 1997-2003.

Robinson studied law as an external student of London University and, after getting his LLB in 1949, moved to England two years later to attend the Inner Temple, where he passed the Bar in 1953. He then went to St. John's College, Oxford, and obtained a Master’s Degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Afterward, he returned to T&T and began working as an attorney. In 1958, he was elected as a member of the Federal Parliament in the short-lived Federation of the West Indies. A founding member of the People’s National Movement led by Dr Eric Williams, Robinson was appointed the Minister of Finance after the Federation collapsed in 1962. He held that post until 1967, when he was shifted to the Ministry of External Affairs. By that time, he had come to be seen as a possible successor to Dr Williams, since Williams when he went abroad put Robinson to act as Prime Minister on several occasions. In 1966, Robinson was made the PNM’s Deputy Political Leader.

Four years later, however, he and Dr Williams fell out. Robinson resigned from the PNM and later became leader of the Tobago-based party, the Democratic Action Congress (DAC), which would eventually come to defeat the PNM in Tobago. That defiance of the PNM’s seemingly monolithic hold on government would lay the foundation for Robinson’ s later elevation to Prime Minister.

In these years, when he had a relatively minor role in national politics, Robinson was very active on the international scene, working with the Foundation for the Establishment of an International Criminal Court. After two decades of lobbying, the ICC was established in 1998 based on a motion brought by Mr Robinson ten years before at the United Nations.

In 1977, Robinson, then Member of Parliament for Tobago East, presented a motion in Parliament which called for internal self-government for Tobago. Three years later, the Tobago House of Assembly was reconstituted under the THA Act, which specified the areas under which Tobago would run its own affairs. In 1981, the Organisation for National Reconstruction (ONR), led by attorney Karl Hudson-Phillips, another once-favoured son who had fallen out with Williams, ran against the PNM. Williams had died earlier that year, and George Chambers had been appointed Prime Minister. The ONR got 22 percent of the overall votes but did not win any seats, and when elections were due in December 1986, that party formed a coalition with the United Labour Front (ULF) led by Basdeo Panday and with the DAC in Tobago.

Robinson was chosen to lead the new party, called the National Alliance for Reconstruction (NAR), because he was seen as more likely to attract voters than Hudson-Phillips or Panday. The PNM retained just three seats out of 33 in that election, thus ending its 30-year record of successive electoral victories. However, one year later, Robinson and Panday fell out, leading to most of the ULF MPs opposing the NAR and forming their own party. But the NAR had enough MPs to continue in government.

On July 27, 1990 Robinson faced his greatest test when Muslimeen insurgents stormed the Parliament at gunpoint. He remained captive for six days until the Muslimeen were forced to surrender. Robinson’s heroism made no difference to the electorate, however, and in the 1991 election the NAR was soundly defeated by the PNM, retaining only its two Tobago seats.

This, however, would itself set the stage for Robinson’s next elevation. In the 1995 election, the PNM won 17 seats, the UNC won 17, and the NAR held on to its two seats in Tobago. The balance of power was thus in Robinson’s hands and, despite having started his political life with the PNM and despite his fallout with Panday just eight years before, he threw his support behind the UNC. As a result, T&T for the first time had a government led by an Indo-Trinidadian.

Two years later, Robinson resigned from his Tobago East seat so he could be appointed President by the UNC administration. This move sparked controversy, since it was the first time an active politician was to hold that office. Robinson was duly appointed, and became officially known as Arthur NR Robinson. Ironically, despite concerns that as President he would favour the party he was allied with, several of President Robinson’s acts caused ire in the Government. But the crux would come in the 2001 general election, which resulted in an 18-18 deadlock that Robinson, as President, had to break.

After agreement by Panday and PNM leader Patrick Manning that the decision would be up to him, Robinson eventually selected Manning to be the Prime Minister. In doing so, Robinson said he was guided by the oaths of MPs, ministers and his own President's Oath and, in his televised announcement, emphasised that the “moral and spiritual values” contained in the preamble to the Constitution were critical in assisting him in making his decision. This surprised some political analysts, given that the UNC had won 50 percent of overall votes compared to the PNM’s 46 percent. Nonetheless, in his autobiography published 10 years later, Robinson would express surprise that some people failed to understand the basis for his decision.

Robinson died at 6 am on Wednesday April 9, 2014. He was the holder of two international awards: The Distinguished International Criminal Law Award of 1977 and the Distinguished Human Development Award of 1983. He wrote three books: The New Frontier and the New Africa; The Mechanics of Independence; and his autobiography titled “In the Midst of It”.

In 1987, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Honour from California Lutheran University. On a state visit to Nigeria in 1991 he was made Chief of Ile Ife by the Ooni of Ife. He was a Freeman of the cities of Los Angeles and Thousand Oaks and holds Venezuela's highest award - the Simon Bolivar Award.

Robinson leaves two children, David and Ann-Margaret. His wife, Patricia, passed away in 2009.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »
Thanks for your service Robbie. :salute:

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 01:43:42 PM »
RIP Sir
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
RIP Mr Robinson. My fondest memory as a youth was when you called on the people to clean up the country.. I took real pride in that! First time I've witnessed Trinbagonians truly working together.

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
One of the last decent men in T&T politics.

RIP
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Such was the man he was THA Chairman (Chief Secretary), Prime Minister AND President. Class is class.

RIP Calder Hall and Castara kid.

Blessings to you and your family.

Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
One of the last decent men in T&T politics.

RIP

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
RIP Mr. Robinson. It is always nice to see all the nice things people have to say when you are going to "Paradise Pasture".  Thanks for your years of service. God Bless`!!!

I hope they put " Attack with Full Force" on his gravestone.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:14:24 PM by Deeks »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
*sigh*  My Robbie is gone...... :'( :'( :'( :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »

T&T Robbie is gone.

R.I.P. President Robinson.  :salute:

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:45:54 PM »

T&T Robbie is gone.

R.I.P. President Robinson.  :salute:
Well here"s to you Mr Robinson . Jesus loves you more than you will ever know
 God bless you please Mr   Robinson, heaven holds a place for those who pray
 Hey , hey , hey

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
correct me if  I  am wrong but isn't  it the same guy that   surrendered to all the demands  OF the terrorist Abu  Bakr
 during the takeover of the  Trinidad parliament? 

U wrong like an o Emmanuel Carter was d fella and Humphrey tell them make sure they put it in writing.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Roads closed for Robinson’s funeral in PoS
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Roads closed for Robinson’s funeral in PoS
Monday, April 28 2014 (T&T Newsday)

TRAFFIC restrictions have been put in place in Port-of-Spain for the State funeral of former president Arthur NR Robinson.

The TT Police Service Public Affairs Unit has advised of the roads which will be closed and at which parking will be restricted from April 29 to May 1.

Robinson, who died April 9, will be given a State funeral over five days in Trinidad and in Tobago.

The TTPS has warned that any vehicle found parked in contravention of the Order will be removed and impounded.

Drivers have been asked to comply with the directions given by police officers and traffic wardens who will be on duty for this occasion.

ROADS CLOSED

Tuesday April 29, 2014 from 6 am to 8 am:

•Tragarete Road between St Vincent Street and Dundonald Street.

Wednesday April 30, 2014 from 5 am to 6 am:

Thursday May 1, 2014:

(a) From 6 am to 8 am:

(b) From 7.30 am to 9 am:

•Frederick Street between Queen’s Park West and Knox Street

NO PARKING

Tuesday April 29, 2014, from 5 am to 8 am, and Wednesday April 29, 2014 from 5 am to 8 am:

(a) Tragarete Road between St Vincent Street and Dundonald Street,

(b) St Vincent Street between Tragarete Road and Independence Square South,

(c) Independence Square South between St Vincent Street and Wrightson Road,

(d) Wrightson Road between Independence Square South to Dock Road,

(e) Dock Road.

(f) Richmond Street between Tragarete Road and Independence Square South.

Thursday May 1, 2014 from 5 am to 4 pm:

(a) Tragarete Road between St Vincent Street and Dundonald Street,

(b) St Vincent Street between Tragarete Road and Independence Square South,

(c) Independence Square North between St Vincent Street and Chacon Street,

(d) Abercromby Street between Independence Square North and Duke Street,

(e) Knox Street,

(f) Frederick Street,

(g) Broadway,

(h) Eastern Main Road between South Quay and Citrus Growers Association Intersection.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ANR Robinson: An Inspiration
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »
AN INSPIRATION
By Miranda La Rose and Marlene Augustine Wednesday, April 30 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Former President and Prime Minister Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson was a soldier, a gentleman and an inspiration to all citizens, President Anthony Carmona wrote in a moving condolence to the Robinson family yesterday.

Carmona was the first citizen to pay homage to Robinson as he walked past the flag-draped casket holding Robinson’s remains which lay in State in the lobby of the Parliament, Tower D, International Waterfront Centre, Port-of-Spain at the start of a five-day State funeral.

Four soldiers of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force in ceremonial tunics stood guard with heads bowed at the four corners of the casket.

Arriving promptly at 8 am, Carmona was greeted by Robinson’s son David, daughter Ann-Margaret and granddaughter Anushka who were on hand to receive the number of dignitaries and others who arrived continuously throughout the day.

Writing in the book of condolence, where he spent some six minutes reflecting on the life of Robinson, Carmona wrote, “An international jurist of great influence, who in his wisdom well placed, decided that impunity must find no place in the international arena and became the grandfather of the International Criminal Court (ICC).”

He continued, “He placed the Republic on the world map by his vision. A soldier and a gentleman. An inspiration to all citizens that the rule of law is supreme and must be protected at all times.”

Accompanying Carmona were his wife Reema and son Christian.

In his lifetime Robinson was an advocate of the ICC and as Prime Minister during the July 27, 1990 attempted coup famously called on the Defence Force to “attack with full force” when Jamaat al Muslimeen insurgents stormed the Parliament at the Red House during which he was shot in his right leg.

Preceding Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s arrival were members of her Cabinet and other parliamentary colleagues who greeted her on arrival. Also in the entourage were sacked minister of the people Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh and former tourism minister Chandresh Sharma who resigned amid an allegation of abuse involving an ex-girlfriend.

Persad-Bissessar arrived sharply at 10 am acknowledged the media and the ever present “Flagman”, retired policeman Peter Diaz, with a quick handwave and proceeded into the lobby where she led her Cabinet and parliamentary colleagues past the casket. Bringing up the rear was Attorney General Anand Ramlogan. Having done their solemn duty Persad-Bissessar and her delegation proceeded inside the Parliament tower to hold the weekly Cabinet meeting which was brought forward to yesterday on account of tomorrow’s ecumenical service for Robinson.

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley, who was scheduled to arrive at 10.30 am showed up at 9.52 am and proceeded to the lobby where he paid his tribute. Like Persad-Bissessar, Rowley did not speak with the media.

Taking advantage of the early hours were PNM MP for La Brea Fitzgerald Jeffrey and PNM Senator Faris Al-Rawi.

Among the members of the diplomatic mission to arrive early was China’s Ambassador to TT Huang Xingyuan. The first day of the official State funeral began yesterday with officers from the various arms of national security carrying Robinson’s casket — draped in the national flag — in a solemn military procession along several streets from the funeral home to the Parliament.

Under overcast skies, the procession took off promptly at 7 am from Clark and Battoo Funeral Home on Tragarete Road. The casket bearing Robinson’s body was preceded by a contingent of uniformed members of the Defence Force, including soldiers and police officers, in a slow funeral march. At the centre was the gun carriage on which Robinson’s casket was borne in a slow, sombre procession on a regimental jeep while the funeral march was played by the regimental band.

From the corner of Tragarete Road in front of Clark and Battoo, the military procession made its way down St Vincent Street on its journey to the Parliament at the waterfront.

Spectators including schoolchildren from the surrounding area lined the roadside, some taking photos as the cortege proceeded slowly.

The lying in State officially began at 8 am and lasted throughout the day until six in the evening so as to allow as many citizens as possible to file past the casket and sign the condolence book. Shortly after the arrival, it was noticed that the flag was draped in the wrong direction from right to left. Defence Force personnel quickly re-draped the flag to fall from left to right before the public viewing began.

Clouds which hung low over the sea at the waterfront added to the sombreness of the occasion.

Robinson’s body is expected to be taken back to the Parliament Tower today for the second day of lying in state before tomorrow’s ecumenical service at the National Academy for the Performing Arts.

After the service the body will then be taken to the Ulric Cross Air Station to be flown to Tobago by helicopter.

Robinson’s body will then lie in State at the Tobago House of Assembly administration building and on Saturday it will be taken to the Dwight Yorke Stadium where another ecumenical service will be done.

The family will have a private service at the Scarborough Methodist Church, after which he would be laid to rest in the cemetery plot next to his late wife, Patricia. Robinson who died on April 9 at the age of 87.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
Crocodile tears from some Trini. Anyhow, you are at peace Mr. Robinson.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
The poise and dignity that he displayed during the terrifying events of late July 1990 will be forever etched in my memory.

RIP to one of Trinidad and Tobago's elder statesmen and historical giants.

1]; } ?>