March 28, 2024, 12:40:35 PM

Author Topic: Are Black Americans Better Off 50 Years After The Civil Rights Act?  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Pastor Manning says that if God is his witness Black Americans were better off back then in 1964 than they are today. Do you agree with him? Is he lying?

Are We Better Off 50 Years After The Civil Rights Act?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZDDIr3lJWhY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZDDIr3lJWhY</a>

Dr. James David Manning explains why we are not better off 50 years after the Civil Rights Act.
Recorded on 10 April 2014.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:07:01 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
President Obama Delivers Keynote Address at Civil Rights Summit!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
President Obama Delivers Keynote Address at Civil Rights Summit!

Full Speech: President Obama at Civil Rights Summit
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/48NqoaI1v4E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/48NqoaI1v4E</a>
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:02:10 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Are Black Americans Better Off 50 Years After The Civil Rights Act?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »
Good speech! President Obama is a great speech deliverer but when you examine his track record you realize that he is just full of hot air and has made too many broken promises.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:54:35 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Tell me what he has not delivered for Blacks? Anything he delivers for Blacks, he will certainly have to do for everybody. Other than enforcing civil rights law and making sure that the playing field level across the board, there is not much Obama can do.  As a matter of fact if Obama makes a speech on race he is criticised(Trayvon Martin, The incident with Louis Gates). Bill Clinton stand a better chance of making a speech about race and be praised. Obama will forever be called for playing the race card.

When he articulates his speech in a cool manner he is perceived as weak, no passion or has no balls. When he says something in a forcefull manner is perceived as an angry Black man. Michelle can't even say or do something with them cherry picking each phrase or action to put some other meaning to it.

He health care roll out was a disaster. The issue with Syria may have been an error in judgement. The immigration Bill in still a work in progress. The man is definitely no perfect.

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
 Why stop at 50 years Pastor ? why not go back 400 years , Blacks really had it good then .. free food , housing,  clothing and  yes , guaranteed employment.
 Of course I am referring to slavery

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Why stop at 50 years Pastor ? why not go back 400 years , Blacks really had it good then .. free food , housing,  clothing and  yes , guaranteed employment.

I think he is making the point that since the gains of the Civil Rights movement in the 60's, Black Americans in general have not made that much progress from a house owning, school owning, bank owning and business owning perspective.
We have many more educated Black Americans now but most work for White owned and started businesses or for the government which amounts to the same thing.

The Pastor can make a direct comparison because he was a young adult in 1964. I don't think he wants us to go back 400 years to Slavery conversely he wants Black Americans to finally come out of Slavery mentally and to show the unity, love for self and work ethic of doing for self that they were showing back in 1964.
Back then most Black American homes were headed by a father but these days 80% of Black homes are headed by the Mother and the Fathers are missing in action. I think the breakdown of the Black family in American is at the root of the problems that most Black Americans are seeing today leading to lack of progress.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:12:05 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »

I think he is making the point that since the gains of the Civil Rights movement in the 60's, Black Americans in general have not made that much progress from a house owning, school owning, bank owning and business owning perspective.
We have many more educated Black Americans now but most work for White owned and started businesses or for the government which amounts to the same thing.

The Pastor can make a direct comparison because he was a young adult in 1964. I don't think he wants us to go back 400 years to Slavery conversely he wants Black Americans to finally come out of Slavery mentally and to show the unity, love for self and work ethic of doing for self that they were showing back in 1964.
Back then most Black American homes were headed by a father but these days 80% of Black homes are headed by the Mother and the Fathers are missing in action. I think the breakdown of the Black family in American is at the root of the problems that most Black Americans are seeing today leading to lack of progress.

I agree with a lot what is said here. But whose fault it is mostly? It is OURS. Same as them nuckleheads who killing out one another East of POS. They have been roughly 50/50 Dem and Repub presidents since 64. Since then till now the glass appears half-full or half empty. Take your pick. We can list all the barriers. Institutional racism, poor housing, defunded schools. But in the final analysis, Afros have to do for themselves. To me the only cohesive instution left is the Black church. But each is a little kingdom of its own. If all the Black churches were to come together and form businesses, that will go a long way in helping the situation. But after listening to pastor Manning, you think I want to work with he.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 04:26:58 PM »

I agree with a lot what is said here. But whose fault it is mostly? It is OURS. Same as them nuckleheads who killing out one another East of POS. They have been roughly 50/50 Dem and Repub presidents since 64. Since then till now the glass appears half-full or half empty. Take your pick. We can list all the barriers. Institutional racism, poor housing, defunded schools. But in the final analysis, Afros have to do for themselves. To me the only cohesive instution left is the Black church. But each is a little kingdom of its own. If all the Black churches were to come together and form businesses, that will go a long way in helping the situation. But after listening to pastor Manning, you think I want to work with he.
You may not want to work with him but funnily enough he has been advocating most of what you just said and has been doing his part in his local community in Harlem.
But therein lies part of the problem you don't like his delivery so you may refuse to acknowledge that he might be doing good work in his community and living up to his message and setting a good example for black churches in creating jobs for members of their communities.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:43:12 PM by Socapro »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
you like nothing better than to wind people up.

norman, better yuh crawl out now before somebody ketch yuh hiding in the closet.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
you like nothing better than to wind people up.

norman, better yuh crawl out now before somebody ketch yuh hiding in the closet.

As yuh mention Norman ah just remember this classic tune!  :devil:

Merchant - Norman IS That You (1978)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MiaERolVcCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MiaERolVcCM</a>

And this was the follow up by Lord Nelson which is even more bacchanal about when Norman & Audrey clash in a party! 8)

Norman and Audrey - Lord Nelson (1979)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b9PbItQH0Fs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b9PbItQH0Fs</a>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:40:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 10:31:19 PM »
You might be able to patch together a valid argument to support his conclusions, but the man is a sad, attention-seeking clown. If you really want to understand african-american problematics from a conservative point of view surely you can find a better starting point than a pastor who refers to even the best of his own people as dirty n*ggers.  Better yuh join the klan.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 10:41:34 PM »
You might be able to patch together a valid argument to support his conclusions, but the man is a sad, attention-seeking clown. If you really want to understand african-american problematics from a conservative point of view surely you can find a better starting point than a pastor who refers to even the best of his own people as dirty n*ggers.  Better yuh join the klan.

He might be an attention seeking clown at times but most of the time he is speaking the truth as he sees it as hurtful as it may sound.

I think on balance he is one of the most sincere and trustworthy Black Pastors out there trying to wake up and help the Black community. His approach might be harsh to many but I think he means well.

I also admire his bravery and that he is willing to always speak his mind even about the most powerful man in the country President Obama. I also find him very entertaining.  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:48:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 04:00:22 AM »
I also find him very entertaining. 

I eh go lie, but the first time I look at his video I was laughing. But later on it was hard for me to laugh or even take his seriously even though he made good points. He is not saying or advocating anything different from Booker T. Washington, Malcolm, Stokely, Jesse, CORE, NAACP. So he is no revelation to me. What I had a hard time with, is how he just jump on Michelle Obama case like she was the worst thing to happen to women. She is a married woman. She is educated, mother, and has a strong independent streak that he does not appreciate. He lucky he is not married to she. She might have buss his arse.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »
I also find him very entertaining. 

I eh go lie, but the first time I look at his video I was laughing. But later on it was hard for me to laugh or even take his seriously even though he made good points. He is not saying or advocating anything different from Booker T. Washington, Malcolm, Stokely, Jesse, CORE, NAACP. So he is no revelation to me. What I had a hard time with, is how he just jump on Michelle Obama case like she was the worst thing to happen to women. She is a married woman. She is educated, mother, and has a strong independent streak that he does not appreciate. He lucky he is not married to she. She might have buss his arse.

Yeah I think he crosses the line there but then again he believes that Obama is Satan and therefore he regards Michelle as the wife of Satan so automatically he puts her in his bad books just for that.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 12:00:35 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_DUyOg49gHw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_DUyOg49gHw</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 12:14:05 PM »
What do you make of Sowell?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »
I agree with him on most issues except foreign policy/national security where he doesn't apply the same scrutiny he applies to social programmes. He favours a large military and a pre-emptive strike on Iran. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »
I agree with him on most issues except foreign policy/national security where he doesn't apply the same scrutiny he applies to social programmes. He favours a large military and a pre-emptive strike on Iran. 

Fair enough.

Any problematics regarding his overriding of the vestiges of enslavement?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:33:58 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

Fair enough.

Thomas Sowell is a typical house nigga , a useful idiot for the right wing .
 He endears himself to the tea party kind folks and is paid handsomely to appear on right wing shows  and media.
 They  recruit minorities and make it appears as of  they speak for their whole race where in fact they are self hating of their own  race .
 Others are Michelle Malkin .. a philipino ,   Ramesh Ponuru , an Indian .
 Thomas Sowell aint nothing but an uncle Tom

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
I'm surprised you omitted Dinesh D'Souza and ... err, ah ... Amy Chua.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

Fair enough.

his opinions on past enslavement not suppressing contemporary white achievement is an interesting topic... he doesn't look at enslavement from only an american perspective, which adds credibility to his statements and his opinions because it's not myopic.. but also looks at racial differences and america being a unique case...

some examples would be sudanese girls sold into sex slavery, to haitians being captured to work in the DR on sugar cane fields.. there are many modern day examples of enslavement... some even argue that modern sports is a form of slavery.. there is problematics with anything, anyone says..
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:37:31 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

Fair enough.

correct me if i am wrong, you believe sowell rejects the fact that enslavement has disappeared? Or that he rejects that there is any remnants of enslavement existing today?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

Fair enough.

correct me if i am wrong, you believe sowell rejects the fact that enslavement has disappeared? Or that he rejects that there is any remnants of enslavement existing today?

My view is he understates and/or underappreciates the vestiges of slavery.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 02:11:14 PM »

Fair enough.

his opinions on past enslavement not suppressing contemporary white achievement is an interesting topic... he doesn't look at enslavement from only an american perspective, which adds credibility to his statements and his opinions because it's not myopic.. but also looks at racial differences and america being a unique case...

some examples would be sudanese girls sold into sex slavery, to haitians being captured to work in the DR on sugar cane fields.. there are many modern day examples of enslavement... some even argue that modern sports is a form of slavery.. there is problematics with anything, anyone says..

The only thing he did was remind me of ah couple tired positions articulated by ah tiresome poster.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:57:34 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
Actually I did  not forget him . I just could not remember his name . There is also another Chinese dude whose name also eludes me but thanks  for bringing up Dinesh De Souza ,
 He now though is in some serious kind of troubles 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »
Thomas Sowell is no different from Stanley Crouch,  John McWhorter and Shelby Steele et al.  All intelligent men with valuable contributions, were it not for the fact that they miss the mark so frequently and so spectacularly.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
Actually I did  not forget him . I just could not remember his name . There is also another Chinese dude whose name also eludes me but thanks  for bringing up Dinesh De Souza ,

Who? Francis Fukuyama ... though not Chinese.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:58:23 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Ramgoat

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

Who? Francis f**kuyama ... though not Chinese.
Him is another other one , I believe he wrote the book " the end of history" but there is a Chinese dude of the same genre

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »

Fair enough.

Thomas Sowell is a typical house nigga , a useful idiot for the right wing .
 He endears himself to the tea party kind folks and is paid handsomely to appear on right wing shows  and media.
 They  recruit minorities and make it appears as of  they speak for their whole race where in fact they are self hating of their own  race .
 Others are Michelle Malkin .. a philipino ,   Ramesh Ponuru , an Indian .
 Thomas Sowell aint nothing but an uncle Tom
Are you sure about that?
Most Black people don't really understand the meaning of the term Uncle Tom and use it out of context.
Have a view of video below to find out why from a brother who does a lot of research and reading.

David Carroll: The true Meaning of the terms "Sell Out" and "Uncle Tom"
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UNFGHidcbYo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UNFGHidcbYo</a>
Please go to 16:30 in video for explanation of the meaning of Uncle Tom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:29:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »

Who? Francis f**kuyama ... though not Chinese.
Him is another other one , I believe he wrote the book " the end of history" but there is a Chinese dude of the same genre

john yoo?

1]; } ?>