March 28, 2024, 04:05:09 PM

Author Topic: West Indies Football Association Thread.  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
West Indies Football Association Thread.
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:49 AM »
TTFA secretary okay with West Indies team.
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (Newsday).

SHELDON Phillips, general secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has dismissed the notion that the recent formation of the West Indies Football Association (WIFA) will cause tension in local football.

WIFA, headed by former Scottish youth footballer James Baird, recently became a member of the NF-Board, an umbrella association for nations/territories not affiliated with FIFA.

The NF-Board is the organiser of the VIVA World Cup which will be held later this year.

Baird explained that he has been in informal discussions with Phillips as well as TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee to explain his plans and clarify any ambiguity.

Speaking to Phillips yesterday, he expressed optimism that both bodies can exist simultaneously without any rift.

“It’s no different from Catalonia,” Phillips stated, referring to the autonomous community in Spain which has its own football team with some of its players also representing the Spanish national team.

Some of the more prominent footballers to play for both teams include Barcelona FC stars Xavi Hernandez, Cesc Fabregas, Carles Puyol and Gerard Pique.

“It’s not a situation where we view them as a threat. FIFA is comfortable with that (players playing for both ‘countries’). If the situation provides more opportunity to footballers then that is something I would look at favourably,” Phillips explained, while speaking in his personal capacity.

The TTFA general secretary explained though that their Executive has not discussed the situation formally as they have not yet received any official presentation from WIFA.

Meanwhile, with the 6th VIVA World Cup scheduled to kick off later this year and the West Indies participating for the very first time, Baird revealed that he his looking for a nice blend of experienced and young players to represent the region.

“In terms of picking the team, there are a few things we have to look at initially, obviously budget will come into it because we may not be able to call on all the guys from abroad. We will probably have a good mixture of experienced guys who’ve played throughout the world and we’ll combine it with some of the younger guys from the Caribbean islands.

We do have a selection panel who will be involved in that,” he explained.

Baird, 30-years-old, is calling on corporate TT and others to get involved as he believes this team will be beneficial to this country and the region with the opportunities it is expected to provide.

“For this all to work, we need a lot of help from everybody we can. Rome wasn’t built in a date so anyone who wants to get involved — play, be a sponsor, water boy — come on board and get in contact with us.

We are looking for a home venue at the moment and there’s a lot going on at the moment. So, get involved and please come and support the West Indies Players Association,” he declared.

Baird also called on any aspiring coaches/organisers who are willing to be a part of the project and learn from experienced persons to get in contact with them. For more information visit www.wifa.ca, check them out on Facebook at “West Indies Football Association” or email westindiesfa@gmail.com.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies Football Association Thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
This come straight out of left field. Never knew this org. existed. Nice kit, though!

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
Occasional games might be nice for keeping 'One Love' going, but without a Caribbean Premier League I imagine the funds will run out. Doesn't Baird have his own team/Academy in Trini that'll be taking his attention too?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Scottish-born pushing Caribbean football to new heights
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
Scottish-born pushing Caribbean football to new heights.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Soca Warriors Online (SWO) recently caught up with newly formed West Indies Football Association (WIFA) Manager and Scottish-born James Baird, as the former Tobago United player gave us a little insight on the future plans for WIFA.

James, 30, is a former goalkeeper for folded TTProleague club Tobago United and has also played for Hearts, Hibernian, Livingston FC, Alloa and Stenhousemuir FC. He had stints with the Scottish Under 16 and Under 17 teams.

He also trained with local outfit Superstar Rangers and with the British Virgin Islands national football team and even played for their under 23's in a small local tournament, but, after eligibility problems, decided against representing the senior side.

James is the Technical Director and goalkeeper for the West Indies Football Association (WIFA). He owns and runs his own football team and academy called Trinidad and Tobago Highlanders.

James has lived in T&T for quite some time and has developed an affinity for the country and the Caribbean.  So much so, that he is now trying to make a significant contribution to players throughout the region. His immediate goal is to get the WIFA to participate in the 6th VIVA World Cup which is scheduled to kick off later this year. Should he be successful, the West Indies will be participating for the very first time.

James said, "The VIVA World Cup is an umbrella association for teams unaffiliated with FIFA, planned to be held every two years.  WIFA (The Waves) are a member of the N.F. Board - the association for non FIFA countries which is based in Narbonne, France. The purpose is to promote the Caribbean and West Indies.  There was no representative on the non-FIFA scene, so I was asked if I would take on the challenge and I accepted."

"The N.F.-Board was formed in 2003 and is responsible for hosting the VIVA World Cup which was founded in 2006. The biggest VIVA World Cup tournament was hosted in 2012 in Kurdistan. A record nine teams featured with the hosts defeating Northern Cyprus 2-1 in the final in front of 22,000 fans. The 2012 VIVA was considered the most successful and competitive finals since the tournament began."

He continued, "We have a few scouts worldwide, from Scandinavia to the UK and the United States, and have a UK-based Futsal team which also helps our UK-based players keep fit and get together when we don't have matches."

"I have a full coaching staff which I will publish before the 2014 VIVA World Cup and we have a player pool so far reaching around 150 from all over the world."

"Currently we are in negotiations with a few people about a ground as we want our own ground as we will have a local squad training full time and hopefully playing in a local competition."

"WIFA is strictly Caribbean or Caribbean parentage, although we have a rule that anyone who lives in the Caribbean continuously for a period of time will also qualify to play in international games for our team."

"However, initially, players will not get paid but will get many perks, but we will be working towards that within the not too distant future. We have a few international sponsors but are on the look out for more local and regional sponsors, so things will change for the better once we become more recognized, then our brand will sell and players will benefit."

When asked why he didn't just try to revive Tobago United and bring them back into the Pro League instead of coming out with a WI team that is not consistently active, especially since Tobago is dying for a Pro League team, James added: "I did consider the Tobago idea, but the WIFA project is a lot larger, and a worldwide project.  I also realized that the hurdle of local sponsorship and traveling will always be a problem for a Tobago team. I am not ruling out moving the WIFA project to Tobago though, but I would have to speak to the Tobago House of Assembly (THA)."

"At present we are happy where we are based in Trinidad and Tobago, but, as we are a West Indies team, we could move to any of the islands, especially if offered a home ground”, ended James.

There have been many attempts to put a West Indies football team together, but they failed in the majority.  Although there was the British Caribbean Football Association established in 1957, and they played various matches as the select team from the Caribbean, mostly against English opposition.

The West Indies FA will use Caribbean players from all over the world who have not played with their national teams and give them the opportunity to represent the West Indies and experience international football.

Copyright of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the above article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:40:25 AM by Flex »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish-born pushing Caribbean football to new heights
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »
Good stuff.

Cant wait to see them in the VIVA world cup.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Interview with James Baird (West Indies Football Association)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »
Interview with James Baird (West Indies Football Association)
arunfoot.blogspot.com

Last year the West Indies Football Association was formed in the Caribbean to promote the game of football in the region. Former player James Baird is the president and technical director of WIFA. I spoke to him about their plans.

How did it come to the formation of the West Indies Football Association?

The West Indies Football Association were formed through discussions with the NF board (Nouvelle Fédération-Board, non-FIFA registered territories) and myself as they had no representative in the Caribbean region. I thought it sounded like a great project and was delighted to be given the opportunity, and the rest as they say is history. So WIFA was born June 2013!

Which islands are part of WIFA?

The WIFA project covers all the Islands in the West Indies/Caribbean region from Trinidad-and-Tobago all the way up to Cuba, Bahamas, including Suriname and Guyana in the south.

Did the formation have anything to do with cricket's successful West Indies side?

Not really. It was solely due to the Caribbean region needing a non-FIFA representative.

What are their aims of WIFA?

The Overarching Aim of WIFA is "to offer footballers of the region the opportunity to compete at an internationally competitive level."

WIFA also has as one of its objectives to participate in the 2014 VIVA World Cup as the newest member of the NF Board.

Furthermore, WIFA will be seeking to participate in local competitions. WIFA has already developed networking links with a Futsal team based in the UK which is prepared to utilise WIFA as its Caribbean base for future players of their team.

One major goal for 2014 is the establishment of a weekend Academy for children and adolescents as an avenue to develop skills and possibly produce West Indies players for the future.

As the Association begins to realise its objectives, media coverage is anticipated which would result in the further propulsion of the level of awareness and growth of the project locally, regionally and internationally.

We also want to give guys that never got the opportunity to play International football that chance whilst not taking away from the current national teams, hence we will never pick a current national player of any of the islands but don't let that fool you into thinking we won't be competitive.

What kind of competitions does WIFA intend to take part?

WIFA will take part in the VIVA World Cup arranged by the NF Board, various friendlies, maybe a local league in Trinidad and maybe in the future some other tournaments.

What does WIFA intend to do for football development in the Caribbean?

We hope to open Academies on various Islands and even currently have a UK-based futsal team for Caribbean nationals in the UK. We also want to conduct coaching courses and paint a beautiful picture of culture and skill of the West Indies.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:52 AM »
Nice. Nothing wrong with having something like this as long as it doesn't start interfering with national teams and trying to exterminate them!

Offline Fyzo10

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Why don't the West Indies have one football team?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:24:53 AM »
Like in Cricket? If that happened we'd probably make WC every time

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't the West Indies have one football team?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »
Probably 'cause Caribbean islands have a hard enough time getting players from all corners of the world for FIFA-sanctioned matches, let alone paying for it :(. It'd be a great idea, but likely related to the same problems the Great Britain team has - have to coordinate several FA's who don't necessarily get on or care about some broader "one love"

It's ok for the big nations, who'll get guaranteed places, but the relevance diminishes as you move down the rankings - how many Dominican players gonna play? Grenada? BVI? There are nearly as many islands as there are places on the pitch and bench!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:29:11 AM »
Simply because of politics and power.
If the CFU combined to form one team, they would only have one vote in CONCACAF and FIFA. Any money would be centralised. So instead of each nation receiving funding each year, the CFU would just receive one contribution. Also, for example, the President of Grenada currently gets to travel worldwide on CONCACAF or FIFA business and only the CFU President would get that if W.I. was one team. No national F.A. President would give up the prestige and the funding just so W.I. could go to the world cup.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
We don't have one football team because we aren't one country. Not really much more to it than that.

And Great Britain is the opposite - 1 country but 4 football teams.

Offline Jamesgk1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
Nowadays, I think it's more to do with money.

Each nation affiliated to FIFA gets $250k a year funding from them.

• Anguilla
  • Antigua   
  • Barbados   
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica   
  • Grenada   
  • Jamaica   
  • Montserrat   
  • Saint Lucia   
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines   
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Trinidad and Tobago   
  • Turks and Caicos Islands

For the teams to merge and compete in FIFA competitions, those national associations would have to vote to do so and by doing so reduce their income from FIFA by 92%. Who in their right mind would do that?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:45:21 AM by BBL »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 09:43:42 AM »

• Anguilla
  • Antigua   
  • Barbados   
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica   
  • Grenada   
  • Jamaica   
  • Montserrat   
  • Saint Lucia   
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Trinidad and Tobago   

For the teams to merge and compete in FIFA competitions, those national associations would have to vote to do so and by doing so reduce their income from FIFA by 87%.

The shocking thing is that some of these "footballing" nations only joined to strengthen Jack's position. I believe Turks & Caicos haven't played an international match since 1999, yet they still get an equal vote and the same funding as T&T, Ja etc.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »

• Anguilla
  • Antigua   
  • Barbados   
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica   
  • Grenada   
  • Jamaica   
  • Montserrat   
  • Saint Lucia   
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Trinidad and Tobago   

For the teams to merge and compete in FIFA competitions, those national associations would have to vote to do so and by doing so reduce their income from FIFA by 87%.

The shocking thing is that some of these "footballing" nations only joined to strengthen Jack's position. I believe Turks & Caicos haven't played an international match since 1999, yet they still get an equal vote and the same funding as T&T, Ja etc.

To be fair they were all involved in WC Qualification for Brazil, if not the Caribbean cup. They all have played an international game in the past 2 years AFAIK, except Montserrat I think given their capital is still under ash.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »
BBL, I really don't see JA in that grouping. That is just my thinking. I would add Suriname and Guyana in that group.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »
If you thought 1 corrupt leader was bad in Warner ,imagine 15 boards and leaders .Clamoring for a few spots .
These countries so financially poor ,I don't think its a good idea joining them.
TnT football so broke already we can't help no one.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:01:25 AM by Qmire »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
TnT football so broke already we can't help no one.

Correcto!!!

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
BBL, I really don't see JA in that grouping. That is just my thinking. I would add Suriname and Guyana in that group.

I only listed the nations that were involved in the area where the West Indies Federation once operated. I didn't give any thought to who would or wouldn't benefit on the field from combining talents. :)

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:36 AM »
The better question is why would we? Why give up our National team. Why do we have a West Indies team for cricket? We all used to love watching T&T mash up everyone in T20 but that's been taken away. We play every other sport as a nation and for our population and money invested we don't do too bad. As bad as the national team is right now I wouldn't give it up. We stuck with them through all the bad times and it made 06 qualification sweeter.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 03:28:23 PM »
Pirate SC Announces partnership with West Indies FA.
Galveston Pirate SC.

Galveston, Texas, August 20th, 2014- Galveston Pirate Soccer Club is excited to announce that effective immediately, the West Indies Football Association based in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, have entered into an exclusive partnership agreement.

The West Indies Football Association was set up in June 2013 although there was a previous Association many years ago in the 50's called the British Caribbean Football Association. It was a Caribbean select team that played matches mostly against British opposition.

The Association will field a national football program as well as a youth program so that West Indian nationals who haven't had the chance to represent their countries can taste and experience International football.

Both sides will obviously benefit from this partnership, although full terms of the deal were not disclosed, some highlights include the sending of 3-4 players a season to Pirate SC to experience high level football and expose to players to scouts and college coaches in the USA, giving the West Indian players opportunities they may not have had otherwise.

As for the Pirate SC players already on the team , those of West Indian descent are immediately eligible to play for the West Indian National Team. Also, the developmental squad of the WIFA will be renamed the WIFA Pirates, in honor of this new agreement.

“This agreement is another huge step in a short amount of time for Pirate SC, this will enable several of our players from the region to participate in international soccer on a global stage” Pirate owner Bill Alsobrook stated. WIFA Technical Director James Baird had this to say in response to the announcement.

“This is a wonderful partnership for both parties and I am sure this will be a huge success in the short term and the long term, the Galveston program gives us what we were missing in terms of professional opportunities and is an organisation that is striving to hit bigger heights, we hope the West Indies supporters and vice versa the Galveston supporters will support each other and help us achieve great things together”.

WIFA is sanctioned by the N.F. Board, It is made up of teams that represent nations, dependencies, unrecognized states, minorities, stateless peoples, regions and micronations not affiliated to FIFA.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:31:03 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jamesgk1

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »
WIFA players go international

Posted by Marc Roseblade on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

West Indies Football Association would like to congratulate a few of our players on achieving playing deals across the region.

Julio Fernandez de la Rosa (pictured left) and Milton Correa have both signed for Antiguan side Sanipro FC with immediate effect.

Our President James Baird has also signed a playing deal with recently partnered Galveston Pirate SC, where he will take his place between the sticks for a term starting possibly next month.

We would also like to send our best wishes to Jason Grannum (pictured right) who continues to perform well in Denmark with FC Helsingoer.

A few other players may be making moves very shortly, we will be sure to keep you informed of any progress.

http://www.wifa.ca/wifa-news/wifa-players-go-international

1]; } ?>