March 29, 2024, 02:39:06 AM

Author Topic: Racist Donald Sterling tells girlfriend V. Stiviano not to bring black people  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
The better question is, should the players not play the rest of the playoffs?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Funny thing is this is not the first time Sterling's name has come up with making racist comments. Almost his entire team is black including the head coach. I think they'll still play but I'll like to hear Chris Paul's and Blake Griffin's reaction to this.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Additional racist comments attributed to Clippers' Donald Sterling released
By Steve Almasy, Kevin Conlon and Shelby Lin Erdman, CNN
updated 1:34 PM EDT, Sun April 27, 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/27/us/nba-team-owner-alleged-racist-remarks/

(CNN) -- The sports gossip website Deadspin released an additional audio recording Sunday from a conversation full of racist comments attributed to Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
The recording is five more minutes of a conversation that purports to be Sterling talking with girlfriend V. Stiviano earlier this month about her Instagram photo feed. The photos include images of her with African-Americans, including NBA great Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

If authentic, the remarks seem to reflect Sterling's embarrassment and frustration with Stiviano over her associating with African-Americans at Clippers games and for posting such pictures on her Instagram account.

In the longer recording, a man and woman talk about the photos and he tells her he cannot change cultural beliefs, Deadspin reported.

The woman says she doesn't think Sterling is racist but the people around him have "poison minds."

"It's the world! You go to Israel, the blacks are just treated like dogs," the man says.

He says there are white Jews and black Jews, and they are treated 100% differently.

"And is that right?" the woman asks.

"It isn't a question -- we don't evaluate what's right and wrong, we live in a society. We live in a culture. We have to live within that culture," the man replies.

When the woman says she doesn't share the man's views about race, he tells her: "Well then, if you don't feel -- don't come to my games. Don't bring black people, and don't come."

The woman, who says she is mixed race, reminds him most of his team's players are African-American.

"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Saturday that Sterling, who has owned the basketball franchise for nearly three decades, is now under investigation over the comments attributed to him.

According to the website TMZ, Sterling reportedly made the discriminatory remarks during an argument he had with Stiviano on April 9. TMZ posted a 10-minute recording online Friday, purporting to be the argument.

Clippers President Andy Roeser on Saturday suggested a woman -- whom he doesn't mention by name -- was "getting even" with Sterling over a lawsuit.

According to a report from CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS last month, Rochelle Sterling, the wife of Donald Sterling, filed a lawsuit last month against a woman she said was having an affair with her husband.

NBA promises speedy investigation
Silver said that the league's investigation will seek to determine whether the tape is authentic and to figure out the context in which these "offensive and disturbing" comments were made.

But he cautioned that Sterling must be afforded due process, so he would not speculate on any possible punishment -- but said that the investigation will move "extraordinarily quickly."

Speaking about the recording, Roeser said, "We do not know if it is legitimate or it has been altered. We do know that the woman on the tape -- who we believe released it to TMZ -- is the defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would 'get even.'"

Neither TMZ nor Deadspin has said who made the recording or how the websites obtained it.
Attempts to reach Stiviano on Saturday were unsuccessful.

The man alleged to be Sterling takes particular exception to a photo she posted to Instagram with Johnson.

"In your lousy f**ing Instagrams, you don't have to have yourself with -- walking with black people," the man says.

"If it's white people, it's OK?" she responds. "If it was Larry Bird, would it make a difference?"

Bird, the longtime Boston Celtics star, was Johnson's NBA rival.

"I've known (Magic) well and he should be admired. ... I'm just saying that it's too bad you can't admire him privately," the man on the recording says. "Admire him, bring him here, feed him, f**k him, but don't put (Magic) on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games."

Magic's response
Johnson responded Saturday afternoon via his verified Twitter account.

"I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans" read a tweet from @MagicJohnson. "I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner," read another.

Even President Barack Obama weighed in.

At a press conference with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak on Sunday, Obama was asked about the comments on the recording.

"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk. That's what happened here," the President said.

Obama also said Sterling's alleged comments are an example of how "the United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation."

The president of the California NAACP suggested fans boycott Clippers games.

"We also suggest that African Americans and Latinos should honor his (Sterling's) request and not attend the games," Alice Huffman said in a statement released Saturday.

Sterling was to receive a lifetime achievement award at an event next month to mark the 100th anniversary of the Los Angeles NAACP, but the national organization tweeted Sunday that wouldn't happen.

Team says Sterling upset
Roeser said Sterling is upset and apologizes for sentiments attributed to him about Earvin Johnson. "(Sterling) has long considered Magic a friend and has only the utmost respect and admiration for him -- both in terms of who he is and what he has achieved."

Sterling is "emphatic that what is reflected on that recording is not consistent with, nor does it reflect his views, beliefs or feelings," Roeser said.

"I don't know if I'm surprised or not," Clippers head coach Doc Rivers said at the team's practice Saturday, adding that he "obviously" didn't like the comments.

Rivers, who is in his first year coaching the team, told reporters that he didn't want the controversy to distract from the playoffs. He said he would be the sole person speaking on behalf of the team.

Miami Heat forward LeBron James was one of several players and former players weighing in on the controversy. James spoke to reporters before the playoff game against the Charlottle Bobcats Saturday night.

"If the reports are true, it's unacceptable. It's unacceptable in our league. It doesn't matter if you're white, black, Hispanic, whatever, all across the races. It's unacceptable and as a commissioner in our league, they have to make a stand, and they have to be very aggressive with it."

"Should this guy continue to be an owner?" asked Shaquille O'Neal, who also called the comments "repugnant."

"We cannot have an NBA owner discriminating against the league," said Charles Barkley. "We're a black league."

Both discussed the issue during the Atlanta Hawks-Indiana Pacers halftime program on TNT, which like CNN is a division of Time Warner.

The players union's response will be led by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA star. "The reported comments made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling are reprehensible and unacceptable," he said in a statement.

Meantime, Sterling will be conspicuously missing from his usual courtside seats. He's agreed not to attend the Clippers playoff game Sunday in Oakland, California, against the Golden State Warriors.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
the NBA board of Governors have no choice but to remove him as an owner. What ah fool !!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kicW3N_8VYg#t=95" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kicW3N_8VYg#t=95</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trump's contribution is about as useful as Snoop's (open with care, if yuh plan on listening to it).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:47:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Here is a different view on the Donald Sterling issue from someone who seems to have their thinking cap on.

Defending Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling pt1
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y5TF6sVxx5E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y5TF6sVxx5E</a>

NAACP award to Mr. Sterling link: National Association for the Advancement of Colored People - Los Angeles

And here is a similar different point of view on this Donald Sterling issue from Tommy.

Donald Sterling On @MagicJohnson , Racism In Sports & How Tommy Sotomayor Sees It!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JtwCPXC_Pj0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JtwCPXC_Pj0</a>

Click here to see all of the audio from sterling Donald Sterling On Magic Johnson, Racism In Sports & How Tommy Sotomayor Sees It! (Video) - Tommy Sotomayor

It's so nice to hear intelligent non-emotional logical points of views on this topic.
Big-up to David Carroll and Tommy Sotomayor for adding some logic and balance to this debate. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:46:04 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
That's some level  :bs: as usual from tommy.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Why even bother wasting yuh time with Socapro and he b.s. videos?

Anyways, this is what Jeff Van Gundy had to say during the broadcast yesterday and I loved it!

There are some things that are bigger than pursuing a Championship. Pursuing a Championship is worthwhile, making a stand on something that impacts society is even more important.

My initial reaction, even before Van Gundy's take was that the players should boycott.  This isn't about hitting the Clippers in the pocket, it's about disrupting the playoff process and forcing the hand of the League. The NBA wouldn't likely advance the Warriors by default, nor would they want to bring in scab players from the D-League. The Western Conference finals couldn't be played... hence the NBA Finals couldn't be played until this series is finished. In short, they'd likely be forced to the bargaining table with the players, in attempt to resolve the situation. It's hardly as emotional a response as it seems.

Since then I've softened my stance on the boycott just a bit. Before their decision to NOT boycott was made, the players consulted the Players Associaiton (which would have been drawn into the dispute to support them) and Adam Silver himself. Silver promises a decision will be made before tomorrow night's game in LA. My guess is that Silver talked them down and asked for time for the League to confirm what everybody already suspects. I don't believe the players have given up the fight... I think they agreed in good faith to give Silver a couple days to figure out what to do and how to go about doing it. Assuming the League's response is still insufficient, the Clippers players could still boycott tomorrow night, or if the series is extended... boycott those subsequent games.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just wondering, in your opinion is David Carroll talking BS also? 
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
This dude has a very serious "massa" complex going. That's the first thing I thought about when people started talking about the entire clippers team is black.

Then I saw the article about him and Elgin Baylor, and Baron Davis.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Has any of these folks calling for a boycott asked themselves this, has Donald Sterling discriminated against any of the players in his team? If the answer is yes then they have a case but why did they wait till now to decide to pursuit it?

If the answer is no then exactly what are they going to boycott over? Donald Sterling having a private view about Blacks in general that most other team owners in the NBA may also privately have about Blacks?

He expressed a private view that was meant to remain private but that was recorded by his gold digging girlfriend who he should never have trusted and that was his mistake.
However he may not have discriminated against any of the players on his team and they are all paid very well for their services.

So what exactly are they going to legally boycott over, Donald Sterling having a point of view on Blacks that many other white and Jewish people also share about Blacks who routinely support their businesses?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:20:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Has any of these folks calling for a boycott asked themselves this, has Donald Sterling discriminated against any of the players in his team? If the answer is yes then they have a case but why did they wait till now to decide to pursuit it?

If the answer is no then exactly what are they going to boycott over? Donald Sterling having a private view about Blacks in general that most other team owners in the NBA may also privately have about Blacks?

He expressed a private view that was meant to remain private but that was recorded by his gold digging girlfriend who he should never have trusted and that was his mistake.
However he may not have discriminated against any of the players on his team and they are all paid very well for their services.

So what exactly are they going to legally boycott over, Donald Sterling having a point of view on Blacks that many other white and Jewish people also share about Blacks who routinely support their businesses?

You need to stop and educate yourself a little bit more as to the issues involved before spouting off.  Also, do you know V. Stiviano or her private situation with Sterling to call her a gold digger?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You need to stop and educate yourself a little bit more as to the issues involved before spouting off.  Also, do you know V. Stiviano or her private situation with Sterling to call her a gold digger?
Regards my statement that his girlfriend is a gold digger, some things you can work out by using your common sense. She is 21 and he is 81 so she was not with him for sex.
Even the fellow who created the video posted in Reply #3 in this thread can work it out, its not all that difficult.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:11:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Regards my statement that his girlfriend is a gold digger, some things you can work out by using your common sense. She is 21 and he is 81 so she was not with him for sex.
Even the fellow who created the video posted in Reply #3 in this thread can work it out, its not all that difficult.

Yeah... and he was getting his dick sucked in a manner that his wife apparently was unable to do, so it was a quid pro quo.  She wasn't gold digging... she was providing services that he was more than willing to pay for, including accompanying his old ass around in public.  The differences in age is meaningless, if you want to bash her and make it look like he was a victim ("he shouldn't have trusted her"), you need to consider that he was cheating on his wife with this 21-year old.  He went in eyes and nose hole wide open.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yeah... and he was getting his dick sucked in a manner that his wife apparently was unable to do, so it was a quid pro quo.  She wasn't gold digging... she was providing services that he was more than willing to pay for, including accompanying his old ass around in public.  The differences in age is meaningless, if you want to bash her and make it look like he was a victim ("he shouldn't have trusted her"), you need to consider that he was cheating on his wife with this 21-year old.  He went in eyes and nose hole wide open.
My point is she was with him for the money aka a gold digger. If you make any other conclusion for her motives for being with him then you are not really as smart as I previously believed you were.

Your other argument about him being a victim or not being a victim was not my argument nor does it change the reason why she was with the ugly but rich old man, obviously for his money and even a blind man can see that.

PS: I believe his wife was well aware that he had a girlfriend and probably warned him about her motives.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:40:21 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My point is she was with him for the money aka a gold digger.

You have no point because whether she is a gold digger in your eyes or not, it has nothing to do with whether there should be a player boycott, or if Sterling should be suspended (with an indefinite suspension being most likely), forced to divest etc.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My point is she was with him for the money aka a gold digger.

You have no point because whether she is a gold digger in your eyes or not, it has nothing to do with whether there should be a player boycott, or if Sterling should be suspended (with an indefinite suspension being most likely), forced to divest etc.
The fact remains that she is a gold digger and I was spot on to make that claim that you asked for evidence of. Common sense was all the evidence that was needed.

On the other point raised I already made myself clear on that in Reply #10 above so no need to repeat myself.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:17:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
the NBA board of Governors have no choice but to remove him as an owner. What ah fool !!!!!

heard they can't move him but the owners could put pressure on him to sell the franchise. He has already lost a lot of sponsorship 

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a tough issue for Silver seeing he works for and is paid by the owners. Michael Wilbon of PTI said it correctly, the owners need to make a stand and force Sterling out the door, put pressure on him to sell the team because that behavior is not tolerated in the league. Sad thing is Jordan is the only owner who publically commented on the situation so far. The most Silver can do is suspend him and give him his due diligence, which is what most likely will happen. The fans can make a stand and not attend anymore home games until he's out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a tough issue for Silver seeing he works for and is paid by the owners. Michael Wilbon of PTI said it correctly, the owners need to make a stand and force Sterling out the door, put pressure on him to sell the team because that behavior is not tolerated in the league. Sad thing is Jordan is the only owner who publically commented on the situation so far. The most Silver can do is suspend him and give him his due diligence, which is what most likely will happen. The fans can make a stand and not attend anymore home games until he's out.
What are they going to suspend Sterling for thou? He has done nothing legally wrong as far as the running of his team is concerned?
They can urge him to sell his team but can they force him? And what if he inflates his selling price?
Can anyone blame him for inflating his selling price?

The option with the fans not attending games until Sterling sells is the only viable option that can work in my eyes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:30:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro, like I said... you need to educate yuhself.  Google "Marge Schott"... that should be a good starting point.  Thank me later.

Soccerman... owners of the Mavs and Rockets also made statements today, but I suspect everyone is waiting for Silver to address the issue first. No point having a Commissioner if everybody undermining his voice by giving statements to the press.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10854381/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-rails-donald-sterling-not-favor-kicking-owner

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thanks :beermug: I saw later last night Cuban and the Rockets owner gave their comments. I get Cuban's idea, about the slippery slope and how they'll need to proceed with caution and all that but the reality is the NBA is made up of roughly 80% black players. Those comments directly affected a vast majority of the league and fans. Players will not be thrilled to play for Sterling's team and several sponsors have already pulled out, he needs to go!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
AB Trini ah sure is you who move this thread here... this is a social issue, not a basketball issue.  I understand yuh might be eager tuh flex yuh Mod skills, but use some kinda discretion nah man.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Silver just banned Sterling for LIFE!!! From association with the Clippers and NBA.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:07:25 PM by soccerman »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Donald Sterling receives lifetime ban

Updated: April 29, 2014, 2:51 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Lifetime Ban For Donald Sterling

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been banned for life by the NBA in response to racist comments the league says he made in a recorded conversation.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced the discipline Tuesday, saying that Sterling has been fined $2.5 million and that the league will attempt to force a sale of the Clippers.

Sterling
Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsAs part of his lifetime ban, Donald Sterling can't attend NBA games or practices, be present at any Clippers facility, or participate in any business or player personnel decisions involving the team.

Silver also stated that Sterling cannot attend any NBA games or practices, be present at any Clippers office or facility, or participate in business or player personnel decisions.

"We stand together in condemning Mr. Sterling's views," Silver said. "They simply have no place in the NBA.

"This league is far bigger than any one owner, any one coach and any one player."

The fine will be donated to organizations dedicated to anti-discrimination and tolerance efforts that will be jointly selected by the NBA and the Players Association, Silver said.

Silver's announcement came three days after the revelation of an audio recording in which Sterling made racist comments to a woman believed to be his girlfriend. Silver confirmed that the voice on the recording was Sterling's.

"The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply offensive and harmful," Silver said.

The woman on the recording cooperated with the NBA, as did a third person who was in the room when the tape was made, a source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne. The woman verified to the league that it was her and Sterling on the tapes, according to the source.

The recordings that have been released were made last September, the source said.

Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, who was mentioned in the audio recording, took to Twitter to applaud Silver.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
AB Trini ah sure is you who move this thread here... this is a social issue, not a basketball issue.  I understand yuh might be eager tuh flex yuh Mod skills, but use some kinda discretion nah man.

This issue cuts both ways. It's a basketball matter with socio-cultural dimensions; and, it's a socio-cultural issue with implications for basketball. It's fitting either here and/or in the General section.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So ... a lifetime ban for an octogenarian?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Welcome to the Finger-Wagging Olympics
It's time to look at ourselves — and our collective moral outrage — in the mirror, says former NBA player

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar @kaj33  April 28, 2014
http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking. All over the latest in a long line of rich white celebrities to come out of the racist closet. (Was it only a couple days ago that Cliven Bundy said blacks would be better off picking cotton as slaves? And only last June Paula Deen admitted using the “N” word?)

Yes, I’m angry, too, but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list. But let’s start with Sterling. I used to work for him, back in 2000 when I coached for the Clippers for three months. He was congenial, even inviting me to his daughter’s wedding. Nothing happened or was said to indicate he suffered from IPMS (Irritable Plantation Master Syndrome). Since then, a lot has been revealed about Sterling’s business practices:

2006: U.S. Dept. of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination. Allegedly, he said, “Black tenants smell and attract vermin.”
2009: He reportedly paid $2.73 million in a Justice Dept. suit alleging he discriminated against blacks, Hispanics, and families with children in his rentals. (He also had to pay an additional nearly $5 million in attorneys fees and costs due to his counsel’s “sometimes outrageous conduct.”)
2009: Clippers executive (and one of the greatest NBA players in history) sued for employment discrimination based on age and race.

And now the poor guy’s girlfriend (undoubtedly ex-girlfriend now) is on tape cajoling him into revealing his racism. Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out. She was like a sexy nanny playing “pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.” She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.

They caught big game on a slow news day, so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whooping.

I don’t blame them. I’m doing some whooping right now. Racists deserve to be paraded around the modern town square of the television screen so that the rest of us who believe in the American ideals of equality can be reminded that racism is still a disease that we haven’t yet licked.

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

The big question is “What should be done next?” I hope Sterling loses his franchise. I hope whoever made this illegal tape is sent to prison. I hope the Clippers continue to be unconditionally supported by their fans. I hope the Clippers realize that the ramblings of an 80-year-old man jealous of his young girlfriend don’t define who they are as individual players or as a team. They aren’t playing for Sterling—they’re playing for themselves, for the fans, for showing the world that neither basketball, nor our American ideals, are defined by a few pathetic men or women.

Let’s use this tawdry incident to remind ourselves of the old saying: “Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.” Instead of being content to punish Sterling and go back to sleep, we need to be inspired to vigilantly seek out, expose, and eliminate racism at its first signs.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a six-time National Basketball Association champion and league Most Valuable Player. Follow him on Twitter (@KAJ33) and Facebook (facebook.com/KAJ).
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>