March 28, 2024, 05:53:10 PM

Author Topic: Don’t play with Ebola Virus  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Don’t play with Ebola Virus
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
Stop with the lame hogwash argument Bakes, you are sounding rather dumb now. Are you a scientist?
No you are not and I suspect we should thank God for that!
Well I know and read enough to know that viruses do mutate over time especially one that has been around since the 1970's and not only that but scientist who experiment on viruses can also speed up the mutation process especially if they were the sick ones who created the virus in the first place and want to enure the new strain can spread more rapidly and take out more victims.

In my humble opinion I make a lot more sense that you in this argument and I am quite happy that I am not blessed or cursed depending on how we want to look at it with your level of intelligence.

I think you need to educate yourself a bit more on Ebola if you are trying to impress any with your knowledge. Did you look at the video?
If you did then you would not still be arguing and making yourself look even less informed that you were previously looking.

Fella save yuhself de long talk, you cannot question or impugn my intelligence.  I am not the smartest man in the world, I sure I'm not even the smartest man on this forum, but you have proved yourself time and time again to be a spectacular dumbass, so you cannot even fix your mouth to question me.  I may not be a scientist but I graduated with a minor concentration in Biology and have enough of a background and understanding to know what I'm talking about.  Viruses can and do mutate, but they don't mutate to alter whether they're airborne or transmitted via contac.  What part of "it's the same virus as the 1976 infection" do you NOT understand?  Maybe you here to impress man but I get enough accolades and satisfaction in real life than to come looking for it on this forum.

We all know on here that you are the ego-tripping king who loves to pick an argument even when there is no argument to be won.

You lost this argument even before you started because you made a wrong assumption and did not do your research. Yes Mr clever you did not do your research and still need to come off your high horse and do some home work.

Well I did mines and my speculation still stands that Ebola is more likely to come to the Caribbean via America which currently has a pending Ebola outbreak if the US government don’t wake up and install the necessary preventative measures.
I just hope our Caribbean governments are smart enough to realize that they don't have the expertise and spending power to cope with an Ebola outbreak that America has and not take the risk.

My speculation that America created Ebola also still stands as quite logical especially seeing that they have a patent for the virus and have a track record of experimenting with creating viruses since before the 1970s. That fact is well documented and that is what I base my speculation on as I don't trust America when it comes to caring about the welfare of African peoples and their descendents around the world including those in America.

PS: Have you yet taken the time to look at the two videos I posted or are you too anxious to have yet another vain ego-tripping argument to be bothered?

Here are the videos once again, I strongly advice everyone living America or elsewhere to pay attention.

A Way To Stop Ebola Discovered!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KIzlMbwOgcI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KIzlMbwOgcI</a>

Infowars.com is calling for a general strike across the United States in response to the federal government’s botched response to the Ebola outbreak and the Obama administration’s refusal to block flights coming in from West Africa.

We are calling on everyone to get behind the strike by tweeting under the hashtag #stopebolastrike and by personally participating in the general strike from Monday to Wednesday. We also invite other media outlets and media personalities to support the strike.

CDC Allows Ebola On Passenger Plane
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y3yTmVWanMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y3yTmVWanMc</a>

Alex Jones breaks down the latest Ebola news and how the CDC told a nurse who had treated Thomas Eric Duncan that she was cleared to fly even though she felt ill.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:13:06 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Some more Ebola education for Bakes and anyone else who cares about their life.
This video is a must see if you haven't yet taken the time to view it.

Ebola - What You're Not Being Told
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JnQVUf775VE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JnQVUf775VE</a>

De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
steupse..conspiracy bullshit. Sites like those just make our job harder having to explain what is bullshit and what isn't..sadly bullshit spreads quicker than facts as it raises peoples fears.
Look at how Nigeria cleared themselves from ebola..a patient who wasnt diagnosed for 3 days and travelled..yet it didn't wipe out Lagos. People are not understanding the concept of direct contact and think it is way more contagious than it actually is. It is a virus with a very high mortality rate, but in terms of its contagious index it isn't as high as many believe.
I hoping it taken care of in Sierra Leone and Liberia, get there under control and it will fade into the background again
Fascinating virus i mus admit tho
Back in Trini...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:23 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
the vaccine is going into human trials and from what i heard from a close friend who is a doctor in the ER at one of Toronto's busiest hospitals, the medical community will have any outbreak under control and the vaccine may be very effective in curbing the spread...

it is a matter of procedure and protocol, fear mongering is akin to manipulation, those conspiracy sites want everyone in a panic, fear sells for alex jones... higher readership numbers...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
sadly bullshit spreads quicker than facts as it raises peoples fears.

Yes, Doc. :thumbsup:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BAN STAYS: Carnival not in danger, yet
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
BAN STAYS
Carnival not in danger, yet

By Ria Taitt Political Editor (T&T Express)
Story Created: Oct 20, 2014 at 9:47 PM ECT

Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan said yesterday the travel ban on Nigeria remains, notwithstanding the fact that the World Health Organisation yesterday declared Nigeria to be Ebola-free.

“The decision of the Cabinet would stand until further notice as the Prime Minister said,” he told the Express yesterday, when asked whether Government would reconsider its travel ban on the West African nation, in the light of the WHO’s pronouncements. Cabinet last Thursday placed a ban on travel to Nigeria and four other African nations (Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Democratic Republic of Congo). The Government mandated that Trinbagonians living in those countries who wish to return home, must be placed under a 21-day quarantine.

“So we will look at it again, based on the new information. Obviously it would be looked at, it would be discussed by the Cabinet and a decision would be taken,” he said.

The World Health Organisation said Nigeria’s Ebola-free status, after having had 20 cases of Ebola, represented a “rare victory” in the months-long battle against the fatal disease.

The disease continues to spread rapidly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea and has claimed more than 4,500 lives.

But Nigeria’s containment of Ebola was a “spectacular success story,” WHO’s director for Nigeria, Rui Gama Vaz, told a news conference in the capital, Abuja.

On Friday, a Nigerian national, Malond Aisha Adu arrived in Trinidad on Caribbean Airlines Fight BW 525 and was not allowed into Trinidad and Tobago, in keeping with the ban imposed by the Government. The woman reportedly stated she would lodge a formal complaint with her Government over her deportation from Trinidad and Tobago.

Yesterday the Nigerian High Commission declined to comment on the issue and instead issued a print out of a news report confirming the WHO had declared Nigeria to be Ebola-free.

Last week, Musa John Jen resigned as Nigeria’s High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago in order to return to Nigeria to contest a governorship. When the Express visited the commission’s headquarters in St Clair yesterday, a secretary stated that deputy High Commissioner Ade Yemi was in a meeting and would not be available for comment.

An AP report stated that in July, Ebola had come to Lagos, Nigeria, which is Africa’s most populous city, through an airline passenger who had carried Ebola from Liberia to Nigeria. The July 23 announcement about the disease hitting Nigeria “rocked public health communities all around the world”, the WHO said in a statement.

Many feared the worst in in an urban sprawl characterised by large populations living in crowded and unsanitary conditions in many slums. Lagos’ population of about 21 million people is nearly the combined populations of the infected countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the statement said.

“The last thing anyone in the world wants to hear are the two words, ‘Ebola’ and ‘Lagos’, in the same sentence,” US Consul General Jeffrey Hawkins noted at the time, saying the juxtaposition conjured up images of an “apocalyptic urban outbreak”.

Instead, with swift coordination between state and federal health officials, the WHO and the US Centers for Disease Control, and with ample financial and material resources from Nigeria’s government, isolation wards were immediately constructed and, more slowly, designated Ebola treatment centres.

Health officials reached every single known person to have contact with infected people in Lagos and 99.8 per cent in Port Harcourt, Nigeria’s oil capital, where the disease was carried by an infected diplomat.

With 18,500 visits to 894 contacts, health workers tracked the progress of all who had come in contact with the disease.

In the end, Nigeria suffered 20 cases of Ebola and eight deaths, including those of two doctors and a nurse, the AP report said.

It noted that yesterday’s announcement came after 42 days passed—twice the disease’s maximum incubation period—since the last case in Nigeria tested negative.

“The outbreak in Nigeria has been contained,” Vaz said. “But we must be clear that we only won a battle. The war will only end when West Africa is also declared free of Ebola.”

According to the AP report, Vaz warned that Nigeria’s geographical position and extensive borders makes the country, Africa’s most populous of over 160 million people, vulnerable to additional imported cases of Ebola.

Nigerian officials are checking for such dangers at land, air and sea borders.

“We must remain vigilant,” said Hussaini Abdu, Nigeria’s country director for the charity ActionAid. “Ebola is a highly dangerous virus and we must stay alert to any signs of new infections so we can respond quickly and effectively.”
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:48:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »
Ebola panic among Trinis in New York
Rhondor Dowlat (T&T Guardian)
Published: Saturday, October 25, 2014

Now that Ebola has struck closer to home, with the latest case being reported in New York City (NYC), T&T citizens living there now fear for their lives.

The case has caused alarm among Trinidadians living in Manhattan, some a few blocks away from the Harlem apartment of the patient, Dr Craig Spencer.

Ebola is spread by direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person.

Despite the large numbers of travellers between New York and T&T, however, T&T will not implement any ban or quarantine system for people arriving in the country from JFK.

This was the response of Brig Anthony Phillips-Spencer, head of the National Ebola Prevention, Information and Response team (NEPIR).

He explained that the latest Ebola case in NYC was an “incident case” and not an outbreak.

“There is a procedure by which a country will implement a travel restriction and that is if there is an outbreak of the deadly virus. The US is not yet at that point. What we see here is an incident.

“If there is a number of infections in a given area, then it would be considered an outbreak and only then can travel restrictions, bans and/or quarantines take effect,” Phillips-Spencer explained.

He said the authorities were closely monitoring the situation, and added: “We are going to continue to intensify further. We continue to improve and refine and will put out public advisories. Our focus is also public education and awareness.”

Phillips-Spencer also said NEPIR had successfully spotted an incoming sea vessel Lauren Foss, which was on its way to T&T from Congo which has not had any cases of Ebola.

There have been 68 cases this year in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), a much bigger country, which is one of the four countries in west Africa from which travel to T&T is banned. T&T nationals coming from the DRC, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia will have to undergo 21 days of quarantine.

Phillips-Spencer explained: “What we are doing is screening at all ports, airport and seaports but before the actual screening is done, we are doing scouting, keeping in touch with airlines and ships before they even enter the jurisdiction.

“We are finding out who is onboard, where they are coming from, how many crew members and purpose.”

The Lauren Foss was due to enter T&T waters on Wednesday to change an eight-member crew which flew in from the US. The ship was inspected and no risk was detected so the crew was allowed to change and the vessel was allowed to continue its voyage.

“We will continue to refine drills and operating procedures,” Phillips-Spencer said.

He also revealed that T&T would seek assistance from abroad in obtaining a level four laboratory testing facility for the Ebola virus.

“We have had offers and we have reached out because it is no secret but here in the region we do not have a level four lab for testing. The level four is needed to diagnose Ebola. We have a level below.”

NYC-T&T travel: the numbers

An average of 616 passengers arrive daily on board Caribbean Airline (CAL) flights from John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, according to a CAL representative.

There are four daily CAL flights with each bringing about 154 passengers.

American Airlines has two flights daily to T&T from Miami International Airport. The AA representative, however, did not want to disclose how many passengers were on each flight, saying this was for security reasons.

On Jet Blue Airlines, there is a daily flight carrying an average of 150 passengers. Over 5,362 people arrive at Piarco Airport weekly from New York City and Miami.

Level four labs

The US Centers for Disease Control’s Website explains that viruses and other pathogens that need bio-safety level (BSL) four facilities and practices are extremely dangerous and pose a high risk of life-threatening disease. The Ebola virus is one of them.

BSL four facilities provide the maximum protection and containment. BSL four practices include requirements for complete clothing change before entry, a shower on exit and decontamination of all materials before leaving the lab.

People working in such a lab must wear an air-supplied full-body suit.

Usually, BSL four laboratories are in separate buildings or a totally isolated zone with dedicated supply and exhaust ventilation. Exhaust streams are filtered through high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters.

(Source: How U.S. Clinical Laboratories Can Safely Manage Specimens from Persons Under Investigation for Ebola Virus Disease | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC)

A scared NYC Trini speaks:

Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday from her apartment on 125th and Broadway, Manhattan, Sajida Baksh was worried by the news.

She has lived in Manhattan for the past 44 years and is a retiree from the Riverbank State Park, Manhattan, which is just two blocks away from Spencer's apartment.

“This news has hit home with me and all I can think about is the thousands of people, including children, that frequent the park. I worked there for years and it is very frightening for me, as you could say it has reached my backyard.”

She said she now has to exercise extreme caution while using public transport in and around NYC.

She added: “The train is crowded and you really can't tell what is happening while in that crowd. I have my car, yes, but there are times when I have to use the train or bus. It is frightening to know that this deadly virus has reached outside our doors.

“Everyone around me is afraid... Americans and T&T locals living up here.

“We pray to God that it does not reach T&T's shores because I do not know if T&T is equipped 100 per cent to handle this Ebola.”

Baksh, a Carnival lover, was also anxious about Carnival 2015, given the Ebola crisis, and believes the Government should think carefully about whether or not it should go on.

She added: “Listen, I love my Carnival and I plan to come to T&T for Carnival next year but now that it have this Ebola crisis I don't think I would dare come, despite all the precautions and measures that may be put in place.

“I personally think that there can be mishaps. Piarco airport will be in a mess and I don't think they would have enough resources to personally check everyone arriving in T&T.

“Carnival is all about revelry, sex, parties, etc, and it will be one of the greatest risks for the spread of Ebola because you have to take into consideration if people will be truthful in filling out the health forms, which would ask origin, and if they have come in contact with persons who may have contracted the Ebola virus.

“We cannot take this for granted. People ought to be truthful on this and there is a big possibility that they won't.”

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »

:-\

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWjyFnc9rmg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWjyFnc9rmg</a>

Stamina Man never fails yes.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
We have the remedy right in our back yard all this time  ;D

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 02:44:28 AM »
T&T to contribute US$100,000
Caricom sets up fund to fight Ebola, CHIKV...
—with reporting by Michelle Loubon

Trinidad and Tobago will put US$100,000 into a fund which has been set up by Caricom to fight the Ebola virus in affected West African countries.
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced this yesterday, following a special meeting of regional heads of State at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s.
The fund has been dubbed “Stop Ebola Here and There (SEHT)”, said Antigua and Barbuda Prime Minister Gaston Browne as he gave details of a ten-point plan to both fight the disease at the source and keep it out of the region.
Yesterday’s 17th Special Meeting of Caricom was called by Persad-Bissessar to discuss the Ebola virus, which has not had a case in the region, and chikungunya (ChikV), which is currently devastating working populations in 23 of the 24 member states of the Caribbean Public Health Agency (Carpha).
Browne, who expressed solidarity with the affected countries, said the meeting had admitted that the likelihood of Ebola penetrating the Caribbean was “low” due to the low level of incoming traffic from affected areas.
Neverthless, there was support for efforts to strengthen entry control and health systems and the new plan will also urge the participation of airlines.
Persad-Bissessar said in the “unlikely” event of the incidence of Ebola in Trinidad and Tobago, systems will be in place to contain and prevent spread of the deadly virus.
She also announced the creation of a regional rapid response unit, “Carib React”, which will be one of the strategies to combat the disease that this country will support.
Stating that she was proud to have been made aware of a Trinidadian doctor working with the World Health Organisation (WHO) in West Africa to fight the disease, Persad-Bissessar said, “We must not allow fear to take hold and prevent us from coming together to help those countries that have been devastated by the disease.”
Responding to questions later on the call by some for Carnival 2015 to be cancelled due to the possibility of the introduction of Ebola into T&T, Persad-Bissessar said to make a decision on that now would be “premature”.
She said, however, that in spite of the low possibility of the disease appearing here, T&T must not be complacent.
Dr Denzil Douglas, St Kitts and Nevis Prime Minister and Lead Head of Government for Human Resource Development, Health and HIV/AIDS, who had also called for the special meeting, said he believed yesterday’s meeting was successful and Caricom countries were able to assess their position at this time with respect to the two illnesses.
Douglas said the fight against the Ebola virus must take place at the source, but Caricom must at the same time be prepared to battle the disease on its own shores.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

1]; } ?>