April 26, 2024, 10:05:58 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49798 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
The 2014 Commonwealth Games, officially the XX Commonwealth Games, will be held in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom over 11 days of competition from 23 July to 3 August 2014.

There will be 70 participating nations at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Participating Commonwealth countries and territories are:-
 Anguilla
 Antigua and Barbuda
 Australia
 Bahamas
 Bangladesh
 Barbados
 Bermuda
 Belize
 Botswana
 Brunei
 Canada
 Cayman Islands
 Cameroon
 Cook Islands
 Cyprus
 Dominica
 England
 Falkland Islands
 Ghana
 Gibraltar
 Grenada
 Guernsey
 Guyana
 India
 Isle of Man
 British Virgin Islands
 Jamaica
 Jersey
 Kenya
 Kiribati
 Saint Lucia
 Lesotho
 Malaysia
 Malawi
 Maldives
 Malta
 Mozambique
 Mauritius
 Montserrat
 Namibia
 Norfolk Island
 Nigeria
 Northern Ireland
 Niue
 Nauru
 New Zealand
 Pakistan
 Papua New Guinea
 South Africa
 Rwanda
 Samoa
 Scotland (Hosts)
 Seychelles
 Saint Helena
 Singapore
 Saint Kitts and Nevis
 Sierra Leone
 Solomon Islands
 Sri Lanka
 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
 Swaziland
 Tanzania
 Turks and Caicos Islands
 Tonga
 Trinidad and Tobago
 Tuvalu
 Uganda
 Vanuatu
 Wales
 Zambia

Venues

Celtic Park will host the Opening Ceremony of the Games.
The vast majority of venues are located within 20-minutes driving time of the Athletes' Village in Dalmarnock and are broadly grouped into three clusters; in the East End, South Side and West End districts of the city. The only sports held outside the Greater Glasgow area will be the Diving and Full-Bore Shooting events.

Main stadia

Hampden Park, Scotland's National Football Stadium, located on the South Side, will be the main venue for Athletics and the Closing Ceremony, while Celtic Park, located in the East End, will be used for the Opening Ceremony.

East End Cluster
The Emirates Arena has been constructed at Parkhead in the East End of the city, the velodrome itself is situated opposite Celtic Park, which will be used for the opening ceremony. These venues will become the headquarters of Sportscotland and Scottish Cycling, and will also host Badminton as well as Track cycling.

The Athletes' Village will be located adjacent to the National Indoor Sports Arena and Velodrome in Dalmarnock at Cuningar Loop on the banks of the River Clyde. The village masterplan, designed by RMJM, covers a 35 hectare site and will be purpose-built to house 6,000 athletes and officials in 2,500 residential units and leave a legacy of regeneration in this deprived district of the city.

Tollcross Park Aquatics Centre, also in the East End, will be the venue for Race swimming events. It already has one Olympic standard 50-metre swimming pool, which will be extensively upgraded, and a second 50-metre pool is also to be added for the Games as a warm-up facility. The existing permanent seating capacity will also be increased by 1000. Combined with additional temporary seating there will be over 5,000 seats for the Games in 2014.

West End Cluster

The Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, located in the West End of the city, will host Wrestling, Judo and Boxing, as well as the Main Press Centre and the International Broadcast Centre, benefiting from its strategic position adjacent to the headquarters of BBC Scotland and STV at Pacific Quay. The Clyde Auditorium will host Weightlifting, whilst the new Scottish Hydro Arena will be used for the Gymnastics and Netball events.
Kelvingrove Park is situated close to the SECC. Scotstoun Leisure Centre will host Table tennis and Squash.

South Side Cluster

Ibrox Stadium, in the South Side, is the planned venue for the Rugby Sevens tournament. Mountain biking will be held on the Cathkin Braes in Rutherglen, the Royal Burgh neighbouring the City. The marathon course will begin and end on Glasgow Green. Hampden Park in the South Side is hosting all the track and field events.

Satellite Venues

Diving will be held at the Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh, located 45 miles (72 km) to the east, which will also be holding the annual Edinburgh Festival at the same time as the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

The Shooting competitions will take place at the Ministry of Defence full-bore rifle and clay target ranges at Barry Buddon, near Dundee, which were also used in the 1986 Commonwealth Games. There will be temporary ranges built for the small-bore rifle and pistol events.

Strathclyde Country Park, on the eastern outskirts of Glasgow, beside Hamilton and Motherwell, will host the Triathlon event.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please post latest T&T team news, videos and results to this thread, many thanks.

Here is the link to the official website for the XX Commonwealth Games 2014: http://www.glasgow2014.com/games

Link to CWG athletics schedule, startlists and results: http://results.glasgow2014.com/dailyschedule.html

2014 Commonwealth games Glasgow Live Stream:
http://justdwl.net/video/62/2014-commonwealth-games-glasgow-live-stream-/

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:44:48 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caribbean Sports Journalists join calls for Commonwealth Games organisers to withdraw internet fees
April 29th 10:35pm, 2014 (TrackAlerts.com)

Caribbean Sports Journalists join calls for Commonwealth Games organisers to withdraw internet fees
April 29th 10:35pm

NASSAU, Bahamas - The Caribbean Alliance Sports Journalists Association (CASJA) supports calls by the International Sports Press Association (AIPS) for the organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland to reconsider its decision to charge internet fees for journalists covering the event from July 23 to August 3.

The grouping of Caribbean Journalists notes that this will be a backward step in recent progress made to ensure that journalists are provided the basic amenities like free internet at major sporting events.

CASJA also supports AIPS’ position that the organisers in Glasgow to follow the examples of the previous edition of the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India and the recent Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia where internet was available to journalists at no cost.

Additionally, journalists will also have free internet access at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil and the European Olympic Committee announced plans to replace the normal mixed zone with a new I-Zone for the inaugural European Games in 2015. This plan also includes free Wi-Fi and cable internet at all the venues in Azerbaijan, the host country.

Accredited journalists covering the Commonwealth Games will have to pay a minimum of 95 pounds sterling for wireless internet service while photographers will be charged £265.00. This is totally unacceptable!

The AIPS also noted that even accessing results via the once free service myGamesinfo, will come at a cost to journalists who are already burdened with high costs of travel and accommodation for the Games.

The Commonwealth Games bring together a wide range of people from very different backgrounds including the Caribbean and the role of the media is important in sharing that experience including the exploits of young Caribbean athletes.

Therefore, CASJA joins AIPS in calling for the immediate rescinding of these fees which could affect the attendance of the Caribbean media at the Commonwealth Games.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:18:03 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTOC getting ready for Commonwealth Games
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »
TTOC getting ready for Commonwealth Games
Wednesday, April 16 2014 (T&T Newsday)

THE COUNTDOWN is on, as there are 100 days to go for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, and the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC), which also acts as the Trinidad and Tobago Commonwealth Games Association (TTCGA), is in full preparation mode.

With a delegation expected to number over 200, Chef de Mission Dr Ian Hypolite and the TTOC are hard at work to ensure that every detail is covered.

The TTOC is planning a pre-Games training camp in Scotland, with all efforts being focused on the logistics, as well as making sure that all athletes, coaches, managers and medical staff are accredited.

In addition, the TTOC is overseeing its fitness criteria with the help of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) High Performance Unit.

The final fitness test is scheduled for May 17 and participants in team sports have a compulsory fitness standard to meet.

The team sports qualified for Glasgow are netball, rugby sevens and hockey (both men and women).

The Games are carded from July 23-August 3, and it is attracting a lot of attention as a number of the world’s best athletes will be in attendance.

Trinidad and Tobago’s best ever Commonwealth Games medal haul is nine, at the 1966 edition in Kingston, Jamaica.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Over 100 countries sign petition against Internet costs at the Commonwealth Games
May 5th 6:06pm (TrackAlerts.com)

Sports Journalists from more than 100 countries have signed a petition protesting against the Internet fee imposed by the organisers of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

About 150 signatures were collected from journalists from 103 countries attending the just concluded 77th AIPS congress in Baku, Azerbaijan, who supported calls by AIPS to the organisers to reconsider the decision to charge internet fees for journalists covering the event from July 23 to August 3.

The organisers have insisted on charging £95 for wireless media Internet service fee for journalists and an inflated £265 for photographers, which must be paid in advance.

Already accredited journalists have received invoices seeking payment for the Internet services at the games.

The petition is a follow-up to letters sent to the Chief Executive Officer David Grevemberg and a meeting between AIPS President Gianni Merlo and Scottish Sports Minister Shona Robinson over the issue.

According to the petition dated April 29, 2014, the journalists all members of the AIPS, some of whom have been accredited for the games ‘register the strongest protest to the Glasgow 2014 commonwealth Games Organising Committee for the shortsighted policy for not providing free internet access for accredited media covering the games.’

AIPS made it clear to the organisers that it was an unacceptable to have the Internet rate cards at the games for a fee, a service that was provided for free at the Sochi Olympics and will also be offered at no cost at the World cup in Brazil.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Record breaker Lendore doubtful for Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
Record breaker Lendore doubtful for Glasgow
Published: Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Sean Nero (T&T Guardian)

Olympic medallist Deon Lendore, 21, is expressing doubt over his ability to represent T&T at the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, this July, despite the fact that he now holds the second fastest time in world.

At Saturday’s Southern Conference Track and Field Championships, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA, Lendore, captured gold in 400m in a time of 44.36 seconds and as a consequence broke the four-and-a-half decade old stadium record.

Although he ran under the banner of his school Texas A&M, at the weekend, his polished performance had booked him a place on the national team for the Commonwealth Games.

In a G-Sport interview yesterday, he said: “The Commonwealth Games right now is a kind of iffy situation, because this season I have really been hitting it hard. I went from being number one indoor where I’ve been running some fast times back-to-back, to coming outdoor and dropping some serious time.”

Lendore added, “And I had an injury (groin and hamstring) earlier at the Texas relays like a month ago…Back from that injury and having to lead the 4x100m relay (team) which is a new race for me, I have been running a lot of races compared to everybody else. Then at the NCAA Championships, I will be running like six races. I don’t think I will be in the shape. Everybody else (is) not running the collegiate circuit. They don’t know how hard I have it right now to be running all these races.”

He said following last weekend’s Conference Championship, attention would now shift to the Regional Championships where he would be expected to compete in another three races.

“Within a month, I’m going to run like 12, 13, 14 races. Everybody else will have like two races. I will be at a disadvantage. I will be tired. I won’t be able to give it my all,” Lendore said.

He paused to reflect on his double feat at the weekend.

During the 400m event, the top national athlete, said: “I went out there and during the first 100m, I stayed focused. After I got to 200m, I started to pick up and the last 50m, I started to move and coming off the turn I started to pull away. I just kept pumping on, looking toward the line, trying to run straighter than everyone. When I crossed the line I looked at the clock. It was saying 44.4 then it ran down to 44.3. I just stood there for a while, because I was shocked. It was really a fast time. I ended up breaking the Stadium record.”

While he was not expecting to clock this time, Lendore said it was on his coach’s radar.

Running the 4x100 got him warmed for the 400m. He served as the anchor in the previous race.

He described the vibe in the 4x100m event as “nice” and declared that the atmosphere was hyped.

“It was a short race. The sprint always tends to be hyped to the max because and you have to go all out from the get go. I tried to remain calm, trying to stay focused, because the 4x100m isn’t my type of thing. Even though I am a quarter-miler, I don’t even run 100m.

“I don’t even know how fast I can run a 100m. But I had to do it for the team. I knew once I ran a good leg, it would help me with my 400m. I got the stick the same time LSU got their stick, but I put my all into it and we ended with the win,” he said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Kind of iffy’ Lendore doubtful for Commonwealth Games
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
‘Kind of iffy’
Lendore doubtful for Commonwealth Games

Story Created: May 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic medallist Deon Lendore has expressed doubt about his participation in the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Glasglow, Scotland.  “The Commonwealth Games right now is a kind of iffy situation, because this season I have really been hitting it hard,” said Lendore.

“I went from being number one indoor where I’ve been running some fast times back-to-back, to coming outdoor and dropping some serious time.” Lendore, who ran the second fastest time in the world this year to claim 400m gold in 44.36 over the weekend, says a hectic college season will leave him at a disadvantage.

The 21-year-old athlete’s achievement for his school Texas A&M earned him hero status for rewriting a 45-year-old record. Although he ran for Texas A&M, Lendore’s performance had booked him a place on the national team for the Commonwealth Games.

“I have been running a lot of races compared to everybody else. Then at the NCAA Championships, I will be running like six races. I don’t think I will be in the shape,” said Lendore  “Everybody else (is) not running the collegiate circuit. They don’t know how hard I have it right now to be running all these races.”

Earlier, the Trinidadian quarter miler anchored the Texas A&M four by one hundred metre team to gold to help his school finish first on the men’s points table. Lendore said his attention will now shift to the Regional Championships where he is expected to compete in several races.

“Within a month, I’m going to run like 12, 13, 14 races,” he said. “Everybody else will have like two races. I will be at a disadvantage. I will be tired. I won’t be able to give it my all”. The XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, is scheduled to start in July.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad And Tobago's 4x4 Power ... Again
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 04:58:36 AM »
Trinidad & Tobago's 4x4 Power ... Again
Published: Thursday | May 29, 2014
By Hubert Lawrence (The Gleaner)

You can't miss Deon Lendore on the 2014 400-metre performance. Do a glance and you'll find him in second place at 44.36 seconds. You won't have as much luck finding the young Trinidad and Tobago ace on the list of participants at the just concluded World Relay Championships. That's because he wasn't there.

Lendore is an outgoing senior at Texas A&M University and, in March succeeded Jamaican Errol Nolan as NCAA Indoor 400m champion. Commitments to Texas A&M kept the 2012 Olympic 4x400m bronze medallist away from Nassau. Even so, the men in red and black ran strongly for third and brought back memories of a glorious past.

Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow, Carifta champion Machel Cedenio and Jarrin Solomon ran strongly to decimate the T&T national record, leaving it at two minutes 58.34 seconds.

Long-legged Gordon, third in the 2012 400m final, hustled through a 44.4 first leg. Quow, the diminutive 2009 World Champs third placer, hung on grimly. Cedenio gave a glimpse of future greatness with a 44.4 third stint. Solomon, the son of former T&T international Mike, tried mightily but just couldn't keep pace with World Champion Lashawn Merrit and Bahamian Michael Mathieu.

Had Lendore been there, things would have been different. As comfortable as the World Champion looked on his anchor leg for the United States, he'd have needed much more to catch the Trinidadian number one.

Solomon closed the record in 45 seconds flat. By comparison, Lendore anchored Texas A&M in 44.6 in an indoor race in February.

Now a senior

The red and blacks can also call on Jehue Gordon. When they were schoolmates at Queens Royal College, Gordon and Lendore were a 4x400 dynamic duo. Since those days, Gordon has graduated from being World Junior 400m hurdles champion to being senior World Champion in 2013.

Stars like Edwin Roberts and Wendell Mottley made Trinidad and Tobago a 4x400 power in the 60s. With those two winning medals in the 1964 Olympic 200 and 400 metres, respectively, the twin island republic broke red lights in the relays.

At the height of its power, the Mottley-Roberts tandem powered their country to Olympic bronze and gold in 4x440-yard world record time in Kingston at the 1966 Commonwealth Games.

The 4x400m races in Nassau make the event a must-watch at this summer's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. The US collegiate season will be finished, freeing Lendore and Nolan for national duty. Bahamian Ramon Miller should be recovered from the twisted ankle that kept him out of the World Relay final.

Jamaica could reassemble its 2013 World Championship runner-up team with the return of young Javon Francis and Rusheen McDonald who missed the Nassau final after a strong run in the heats.

Take your pick. Will Jamaica have the edge? Will the Bahamian Golden Knights repeat their Olympic win? Or will it be 1966 all over again?

Hubert Lawrence has been scrutinising track and field since 1980.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:45:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Inside the XX Commonwealth Games: T&T seeks to boost medal haul
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:38:52 PM »
Inside the XX Commonwealth Games:
T&T seeks to boost medal haul

Published: Sunday, June 8, 2014
By Sean Nero(T&T Guardian)

Athletes chosen to represent this country at this year’s XX Commonwealth Games taking place in Glasgow, Scotland, from July 23-August 3, are better equipped to deliver medal winning performances. That is the view of Brian Lewis, president of the T&T Commonwealth Games Committee (TTCGA)/T&T Olympic Committee. Under the Commonwealth Games Federation, chapter organising committees must carry the CGA call sign. So for the duration of this tournament the TTOC name will be silent. With 43 days to go before the Games herald, Lewis said the local contingent, which was reputed to be the country’s largest in the history of the championships, would aim to better the medal haul of nine, way back in 1966. They were: five gold, two-silver and two-bronze.   

This country’s athletes will be vying for top honours in individual sports as: aquatics, boxing, cycling, gymnastics, judo, shooting, squash, table tennis, triathlon as well as track and field.
Netball, hockey and the rugby 7s are the team sports in which T&T will be going for gold. With an estimated budget of close to $4 million, Lewis said, one of the challenges for team T&T’s was that resources were not finite and therefore there would always be situations access to more. The Sports Ministry has already put systems in place for athletes and officials to travel to and from Scotland, while the Sport Company was contributing by making the elite athletes facilities at the Hasely Crawford National Stadium and its personnel available for these preparations. Through the TTCGA’s partnership with Adidas the cost of outfitting the local team had been reduced. Meanwhile, the national sporting organisation would use their resources to cover the remainder of the bill.

Justifying our sporting value
“I am not one of those who believe that corporate T&T has any obligation. I think that it is up to the national sporting organisations and the TTOC to justify to corporate T&T, what is the value that it brings to the relationship.  “This thing where you want to bully corporate T&T, that they have to do something, I don’t see it that way. I think that the reality is, it is not about a hand-out. It is not about a dependency syndrome. It is about a partnership. I think once NSOs are able to identify what is the value they bring, justify it and deliver on their promises, I think that increasingly, over time, you would see a major transformation in the response,” Lewis said. He added: “All over the world, success drives success. That is why it is important for the TTCGA (TTOC) and the NSO and athletes and coaches that when we go into major events that we go to these games to perform, not just participate. “T&T has passed the stage of just being happy to barely qualify for and event. It’s not about going to the games for a joy ride or a vacation.” Arrangements have been put in place for pre-Games training camp for athletes associated with team sports in Scotland. They are scheduled to depart local shores between July 6-8. The challenges, he said, would be to beat the results of London 2012 (Olympics) citing it had become the new benchmark.

Training camps for team sports
Pointing to last month’s staging of the IAAF World Relays held in Nassau, Bahamas, where T&T bagged three medals: men’s 4 by 100m (silver), women’s 4 by 100m (bronze) and men’s 4 by 400m (bronze), Lewis said: “They did excellent. That’s cause for encouragement. In sports, you don’t event go into a tournament or championship expecting to failure. “I am optimistic that our athletes will do very well. From my perspective I would think track and field, cycling, swimming and boxing will be where we would have podium success. I am very interested in seeing how we do in gymnastics. “Netball as one of the team sports, we would think on paper have a chance, but the recent form does not suggest that netball would medal. Hockey–men’s and women’s–the best teams in the world are from the Commonwealth nations. So hockey would have some great difficulty getting on the podium, but what we would expect is that they improve on their performances from 2006 and 2010. You want to see the team sports a lot more competitive than they have been. I know they have prepared well.”
He added, “They are all accessing the high-performance unit in the Hasely Crawford Stadium. They are doing extremely well. They may have wanted a little bit more warm-up games. But we are having training camps for the team sports. We are focused as a Commonwealth Games Association, taking it to the next level. Our partnership with the Michael Johnson Performance Centre and BPTT plays an important role in terms of the high performance training trying to supplement and complement the training programmes the various coaches have with various athletes. It’s all about working with as a team.”
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:28:59 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympic medallist declares Commonwealth Games his priority
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »
Olympic medallist declares Commonwealth Games his priority
Published: Thursday, June 12, 2014
Sean Nero (T&T Guardian)

Richard Thompson wins 100m at IAAF IWC Meeting Hengelo (9.95 in +1.4 wind)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmuQfP00r1I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qmuQfP00r1I</a>

Olympic medallist Richard Thompson says he is proud to have recorded his first sub-ten performance in two years at Saturday’s IAAF World Challenge’s Fanny Blankers-Keon, held in Hengelo, Netherlands.

The three-time Olympic medallist captured the men’s 100 metres event in 9.95 seconds.

On his Facebook page, he posted, “Got another win tonight in Hengelo (Holland). This time a wind legal 9.95 seconds, my first sub-10 since the 2012 London Olympics...3rd fastest time in the World for 2014. Praises to the most high!”

In a G-Sport interview, he made it clear, however, that the gratifying weekend performance was not grounds for him to become over confident. The champion athlete said he needed to retain his level of calm and focus, as the remedial work he was now undergoing was helping him to achieve the desired rewards.

“It feels great to be under 10 seconds again. However, it's no time to celebrate or be content. There's still a lot of work to be done. That being said, I'm pleased with the direction things are heading in for the Commonwealth Games, which is my number one priority this year. Being at the Michael Johnson Performance Centre (MJPC) in Dallas, really, allowed me to channel my energy in the right direction. We identified what the problem was and devised a plan to directly deal with it. Beyond that, we were able to look at other weaknesses and strengthen them.”

Thompson has gained access to the facilities at MJPC through an arrangement between the T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) and energy company BPTT.

He achieved the feat on the weekend of his birthday, which was spent traveling to Europe.

“So it was a bit satisfying to run well and make up for the day lost. There's still a lot of time for many people to improve, so I don't want to get ahead of myself and start prematurely claiming medals in Glasgow (Scotland) just yet.

“Everyone is still working hard and that's just what I plan to do as well, to give myself a fair shot of being in the mix. It will be interesting because we know the big guns always show up ready to the big show.”

Late yesterday, Thompson won the 100m at the Bislett Games in Oslo, Norway in a time of 10.02 seconds.

Richard Thompson wins Men's 100m at Diamond League Oslo 2014 (10.02 in -0.6 wind)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MR-A3Mop7iQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MR-A3Mop7iQ</a>
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:35:34 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bovell, Phillip for Commonwealth Games
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
Bovell, Phillip for Commonwealth Games
Story Created: Jun 12, 2014 at 3:16 AM ECT (T&T Guardian)

Olympic bronze medallist George Bovell and cyclist Njisane Phillip are among the headliners in the Trinidad and Tobago team to compete at the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next month.

The team will be led by the Chef de Mission Dr. Ian Hypolite and includes representatives of 13 national sporting organisations.

According to a Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) media release yesterday, Brian Lewis, president of the TTOC is looking forward to Trinidad and Tobago having their best Commonwealth Games ever.

The athletics team will be announced on June 24.

The team to date is made up of 84 athletes and 49 officials, including a medical team of 14 and sports psychologist Dr. Margaret Ottley.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:40:38 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTOC name 148 for Commonwealth Games
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
TTOC name 148 for Commonwealth Games
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Thursday, June 12 2014 (T&T Newsday)

CHEF DE MISSION Dr Ian Hypolite will spearhead a 148- member Trinidad and Tobago contingent at the 20th edition of the Commonwealth Games which sprints off in Glasgow, Scotland, from July 23 to August 3.

The official list of national representatives was released by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) and Commonwealth Games Association on Tuesday evening. This year’s outfit, excluding the athletics division, comprises of 84 athletes from multiple disciplines, 49 officials, a medical team of 14 and sports psychologist Dr Margaret Ottley.

Approximately 61 members of the athletics fraternity have also been selected to fly the red, white and black, but the official list has not yet been revealed. Joining the TT squad will be TTOC president, Brian Lewis, who is hoping that this nation can have its best showing ever at the prized Commonwealth meet.

The twin-island republic will vie for honours in 13 sporting disciplines; aquatics, athletics, boxing, cycling, gymnastics, hockey, judo, netball, rugby, shooting, squash, table tennis and triathlon.

Some of the more highlighted names contesting the 2014 edition range from George Bovell, Dylan Carter (swimming), Aaron Prince (boxing), Njisane Phillip and Quincy Alexander (cycling), Marissa Dick (gymnastics), both senior men and women’s hockey teams, Christopher George (Judo), women’s netball team, men’s rugby sevens team, Roger Daniel (shooting), Colin Ramasra and Charlotte Knaggs (squash), Dexter St Louis and Rheann Chung (table tennis) and David Cottle (triathlon).

Meanwhile, expected to represent TT in the athletics division are an estimated 34 males and 27 females athletes. Leading the way in this category should be Olympic javelin champion Keshorn Walcott, sprinters Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, Keston Bledman, 400m hurdles World Championships gold medallist Jehue Gordon and a cast of other promising medal hopes in Glasgow.

Trinidad and Tobago team:

Aquatics - George Richard Bovell III, Dylan Carter

Boxing - Michael Alexander, Aaron Prince

Cycling - Njisane Phillip, Quincy Alexander

Gymnastics - William Albert, Marissa Dick, Khazia Hislop

Hockey (Men) - Darren Cowie, Mickel Pierre, Andrey Rocke, Marcus James, Shaquille Daniel, Tariq Marcano, Stefan Mouttet, Kwandwane Browne, Ishmael Campbell, Aidan De Gannes, Solomon Eccles, Dillet Gilkes, Nicholas Grant, Michael II Otis O’Connor, Jordon Reynos, Akim Toussaint

Hockey (Female) - Patricia Wright-Alexis, Petal Derry, Alanna Lewis, Kwylan Jaggassar, Amie Olton, Savanah De Fretias, Amanda George, Avion Ashton, Elise Olton, Kayla Brathwaithe, Fiona O’Brien, Dana-Lee De Gannes, Brianna Govia, Tamia Roach, Zene Henry, Brittney Hingh

Judo - Christopher George

Netball - Joelisa Cooper, Kalifa Mc Collin, Janelle Barker, Samantha Wallace, Rhonda John Davis, Tricia Liverpool, Onella Jack, Anika La Roche Brice, Candice Guerero, Kemba Duncan, Alicia Liverpool, Daystar Swift

Rugby Sevens - Agboola Silverthorn, David Gokool, Aasan Lewis, Kelson Figaro, Shaquille Tull, James Phillip, Jonathon O’Connor, Anthony Lopez, Keishon Walker, Joseph Quashie

Shooting - Michael Perez, Norris Gomez, Marlon Moses, Rhodney Allen, Roger Daniel

Squash - Colin Ramasra, Kale Wilson, Kerrie Sample, Charlotte Knaggs

Table Tennis - Dexter St. Louis, Curtis Humphreys, Aaron Wilson, Yuvraj Dookram, Rheann Chung, Ashley Quashie, Aleena Edwards, Catherine Spicer

Triathlon - David Cottle

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Prepare well for C’wealth Games, St Louis urges
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »
Prepare well for C’wealth Games, St Louis urges
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jun 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Dexter St Louis is eagerly anticipating the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.

The France-based pro was pleased to hear that the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) had included a table tennis team for the July 23-August 3 multi-sport event. However, he urged the powers that be, here in T&T, to take a professional approach to preparation.

“I hope we take this as a serious opportunity to carry our sport further, and not as a gift or holidays. I have seen in recent years the TTOC has put their faith in us. Now, we must show them that we are worth that faith and confidence.

“The coaches must ensure that the players do a minimum of 10 hours training per week as of now, else this will be easily another stamp in our passport.”

St Louis will lead the charge for T&T in the men’s team event. He will be supported by Curtis Humphreys, who recently returned from a six-week training stint in Sweden, 15-year-old Aaron Wilson, and Yuvraj Dookram.

Another France-based pro, Rheann Chung is the key player on the T&T women’s team, which also includes Aleena Edwards, Ashley Quashie and Catherine Spicer.

St Louis and Chung recently competed at the ITTF-Latin American Cup, in Paraguay.

Chung was in fine form at the invitational tournament for the top players in South and Central America and the Caribbean. She upset sixth-seeded Chilean Paulina Vega in the group stage to earn a quarterfinal berth.  Chung lost in the last eight to Brazilian Caroline Kumahara, the top seed and eventual champion.

Earlier this year, Chung was a bronze medallist in the women’s singles at the Latin American Table Tennis Championships, in Dominican Republic.

“Rheann’s game is up with the best,” St Louis told the Express. “She is really playing in the top 150 in the world now.”

At the Latin American Cup, which featured 12 men and 12 women, St Louis was eliminated at the group stage of the men’s singles. The 46-year-old Chaguanas-born player went under 2-4 to Mexico’s Marcos Madrid and by the same scoreline to Puerto Rican Daniel Gonzalez.

“I would have liked to get to the quarterfinals,” said St Louis, “as I think it was not difficult. I am not making any excuses but the lights went out at 1-1 (in games) and 2-1 in the third (against Gonzalez).

That really broke my momentum. It caused me to lose the third and fourth games; I came back and won the fifth game and was leading 10-8 in the sixth and lost.”

St Louis said the Latin American Cup was well organised.

“Great tournament.

“Thanks to Anil Roberts and his ministry,” St Louis continued, “for assisting us in attending. Without him, whether we are qualified or not, it would not have been possible, so special thanks to the Honourable Minister of Sport.”

St Louis and Chung will next compete at the July 5-7 Heritage Oil Open in Sussex, England. The tournament is a warm-up event for the Commonwealth Games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:23:42 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Track and field athletes impress T&T Olympic boss
...Thompson, Ahyee, Bellille, Gordon, Quow stand out

Published: Tuesday, June 24, 2014
By: Sean Nero (T&T Guardian)

Brian Lewis, president of the T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC), has described last weekend’s Sagicor/NGC Senior Open Track and Field Championships as a tremendous confidence boaster for this country’s participation at the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, from July 23-August 3.

The performances of the athletes at the three-day meet staged by the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, saw Olympic medallist Richard Thompson of Rebirth dethrone Keston Bledman to reclaim the men’s 100-metre title, and in the process establish a new national record of 9.82 seconds. Thompson previously held the national record of 9.85 since 2011.

Meanwhile, Janeil Bellille of Neon Trackers broke a 16-year-old national record in the women’s 400m to capture the quarter mile title in 51.83. Olympians Jarrin Solomon, Lalonde Gordon and Renny Quow battled for tops honours in the men’s 400-metre finals. It was Quow, however, who got the edge to clinch gold in 45.073.

In a G-sport interview, Lewis said, “Oh… Very encouraging! And it wasn’t only the performances of those who won. It’s great to see for example in the 100 metres Marc Burns and Darrel Brown. They have been around for quite a while being very competitive. Darrel Brown is at his best time I think since 2003. He has had a very tough time and for him to keep fighting and never give up that’s the kind of thing that people must understand: that resilience, that perseverance, that indomitable will.

We look at Michelle Lee-Ahye. Her performances continue to improve year on year. You have some of the younger people coming through (like) Kia Selvon. I am very hopeful.”

He added: “We are going into the Commonwealth Games with a tremendous confidence boaster with this weekend’s track and field performances at the track and field championships. We have this confidence boaster with Njisane’s (Phillip) performances. He seems to be back on track, so to speak, from his health issues earlier this year. George Bovell III seems to be evergreen and still improving. So, I think there is reasonable cause for significant optimism heading into the Commonwealth Games. I like what I am seeing from the young boxer Michael Alexander.”

Lewis scoffed at those in society who insist on ruling out the ability of athletes when their medal copping performances dipped. He described this practice of writing off such athletes as “a little fickle.” The TTOC official marvelled at the speed at which the public build up athletes when they were in championship mode, but were quicker to dismiss their medalling potential when they were going through difficult times.

“After the Olympics (London 2012) they were saying George Bovell III too old and you start to get these hurtful statements being made. Sport, just like life, is something that is full of ups and downs and people don’t recognise that there is a process, especially when you are involved in elite level sports. It’s a process, it’s a journey…not just a destination, and it requires perseverance and indomitable will.

“I believe it is the responsibility of the national sport organisations and the TTOC to be there for our athletes in good times and in bad times. If one was to judge sometimes from the talk shows and social media, you would see at times we tend to be very hard, even harsh on our athletes when they go through a loss of form,” Lewis said.

Lewis added: “I remember just last year, in the CPL (Caribbean Premier League), Dwayne Bravo being booed, at home. Look at the challenges Darrel Brown has had over the last couple years… Renny Quow? We have to understand that there are different reasons why people may lose form, whether it be through injury or other things and it is important that we have an environment that doesn’t come across as being band-wagonist in its approach.”

The TTOC official said he eagerly awaited the return of Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett who were banned from competition and was not afraid to state his support publicly.

“I am not one of those who is there to be part of any lynch mob on these two female athletes. I have said it in the past and I will continue to say it. In my experiences dealing with them over the years, I have no doubt in my mind that they have a commitment to competing clean and air—that they are not deliberate drug cheats.

“I look forward to seeing them back in the mix. I think it is well publicised that Semoy Hackett’s situation has been brought to closure. She will resume her career sometime next year. From what I have seen in the media in the case of Kelly-Ann Baptiste, her due process is still on-going. That is something we just have to wait on. But I am confident that she will be able to rise above adversity and triumph,” said Lewis.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:23:47 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt available for relays in Glasgow
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
Bolt available for relays in Glasgow
Story Created: Jun 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Sprint superstar Usain Bolt has made himself available to run the relays at next month’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

The 27-year-old was expected to miss the July 23 to August 3 showpiece but said in a release Thursday that he was keen on participating at the event. He is not participating in the weekend’s National Championships, a qualifier for the Games.

“I do not wish to take the place of anyone who qualifies this weekend in an individual event, but am available for relay duties if the selectors feel I can be an asset to the Jamaican team in Glasgow,” Bolt said.

“I have received lots of requests, invitations and messages of support from my fans in Scotland, who are looking forward to a great event.”

Bolt has been hampered by injury in recent months and is yet to make his debut on the international circuit this season. Earlier this month, he announced he was pulling out of the Golden Spike in Ostrava on June 17th and the Paris Diamond League meet on July 5th.

He said he had already conveyed his decision not to run at the National Championships, to the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association. “I am not ready to compete at the Jamaican Championships this weekend, but I have informed the JAAA that I am available for selection for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and have submitted the relevant documents,” Bolt said.

Bolt, the reigning World and Olympic champion, missed the last Commonwealth Games in India as well as the 2006 edition in Australia. His appearance in Glasgow will be a massive marketing boost for the Games.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:32:46 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IMMEDIATE RELEASE: TTO GLASGOW 2014 COMMONWEALTH GAMES TRACK AND FIELD TEAM
Friday, 27 June 2014 13:01 (TTOC.org)

The Trinidad and Tobago Commonwealth Games Association (TTCGA)/Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) can confirm the Trinidad and Tobago Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games track and field team is as follows:

WOMEN (18 Athletes):

Deandra Daniel-High Jump

Cleopatra Borel and Annie Alexander-Shot Put

Annie Alexander- Discus

Michelle Lee Ahye, Kai Selvon and Kamaria Durant-100M

Michelle Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas-200m

Shawna Fermin, Romona Modeste and Domonique Williams- 400m

Alena Brooks-800m

Pilar McShine-1500m

4x100M- Michelle Lee Ahye, Kai Selvon, Kamaria Durant, Reyare Thomas, Lisa Wickham and Deborah John

4x400m- Shawna Fermin, Alena Brooks, Romona Modeste, Domonique Williams, Janeil Bellille and Josane Lucas

Tonya Nero- Marathon

Josanne Lucas and Deborah John- 100m Hurdles

Janeil Bellille-400m Hurdles

Ayanna Alexander-Triple Jump

MEN (25 Athletes):

Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman and Darrel Brown-100m

Kyle Gereaux, Jereem Richards and Rondell Sorrillo-200m

Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow and Jarrin Solomon-400m

Wayne Davis, Mikel Thomas and Durel Busby-110 hurdles

Jehue Gordon and Emanuel Mayers- 400m Hurdles

Jamal James and Kendis Bullard- 800m

Kyron Blaise-Long Jump

Kashief Daniel- High Jump

Quincy Wilson- Discus

Robert Collingwood-Shot Put

Keshorn Walcott- Javelin

4X100M Relay-Keston Bledman, Richard Thompson, Darrel Brown, Marc Burns, Rondell Sorrillo and Emmanuel Callender

4x400m-Relay- Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Deon Lendore, Reny Quow, Jereem Richards and Zwede Hewitt

Officials (13):

Manager- George Commissiong

Coaches- Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklin, Ismael Lopez, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton and Paul Voisin

Medical- Verne Alleyne, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder and Dr Anyl Gopeesingh.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:00:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Don't think Michelle should double. Focus on the 100 and 4x1. Her arm/shoulder is already giving her trouble and she has a better shot at a medal in the 1.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Don't think Michelle should double. Focus on the 100 and 4x1. Her arm/shoulder is already giving her trouble and she has a better shot at a medal in the 1.
Commonwealth Games is a month away so MLA's shoulder should be okay by then if not before.
MLA is even running in a Diamond League meet next week Thursday so if she performs well in Lausanne then I won't see much need to worry about her shoulder affecting her by the time of Commonwealth Games.

Also the 200m in the Commonwealth Games normally comes after the 100m is over so how MLA does in the 100m will not be directly affect by her running the 200m.

If MLA does really well in the 100m and medals she can still decide to skip the 200m if she thinks she will be too tired and it could affect our medal chances in the 4 x100m relay.
If MLA runs in the 200m she could always be rested during the 4x100m heats and be brought in just for the final which we should hopefully make and get good lane in without MLA having to run in the 4x100m Heats as Lisa Wickham or Deborah John can always fill in. However for relay team baton passing chemistry it might be better for the same runners to run in both the Heats and Final.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:17:39 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Unless Carlyle Roudette is not available for some reason I am not sure why he did not make our Men 4x400m relay team when he defeated both Zwede Hewitt and Jereem Richards in the Men 400m "A" Final.

400m Men A and B Finals  at Senior Champs 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uNKQ3Mj9rv4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uNKQ3Mj9rv4</a>

Event 3  Men 400 Meter Dash
==========================================================================     
          NR: $ 44.21  8/3/1992    Ian Morris                                 
                45.90  CAC CAC GAMES                                           
                45.90  CW Commonwealth Games                                   
                46.20  U23 NACAC U-23                                         
    Name              Year Team                    Finals        H# Points     
Section  2 Finals                                                                       
  1 Quow, Renny            Zenith                 47.16      45.08 CAC     45.073       
  2 Gordon, LA Londe       Nike                   47.48      45.08 CAC     45.077       
  3 Solomon, Jarrin        Memphis Pioneers       46.13      45.59 CAC

4 Roudette, Carlyle      Abilene Wildcats       46.93      46.00 U23                 
  5 Hewitt, Zwede          Rebirth                47.48      46.08 U23                 
  6 Richards, Jereem       Abilene Wildcats       48.00      46.72

7 Hazel, Odou            Memphis Pioneers       47.91      47.91                     
 -- Mullings, Breon        Memphis Pioneers       47.90         FS         Rule 162.6
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:59:26 PM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Unless Carlyle Roudette is not available for some reason I am not sure why he did not make our Men 4x400m relay team when he defeated both Zwede Hewitt and Jereem Richards in the Men 400m "A" Final.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uNKQ3Mj9rv4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uNKQ3Mj9rv4</a>

45.90  CAC CAC GAMES                                           
                46.20  U23 NACAC U-23                                         
Section  2 Finals                                                                       

-- Mullings, Breon        Memphis Pioneers       47.90         FS         Rule 162.6

his Dad passport has to be re-instated then he has to get his

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

45.90  CAC CAC GAMES                                           
                46.20  U23 NACAC U-23                                         
Section  2 Finals                                                                       

And how long does that take? Shouldn't they be able to get that done within a week or two especially if they are fast tracked?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:06:55 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T's 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally and Medal Colour Predictions
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »
T&T's 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally and Medal Colour Predictions

At the last Commonwealth Games which was held in 2010 in Delhi (India), T&T won a total of 6 medals, comprising of 4 silver and 2 bronze medals; 2 of the silver medals and 2 of the bronze medals were won by our men while 2 of the silver medals were won by our women.
In 2010 our Caribbean rivals Jamaica won a total of 7 medals in Delhi that included 2 gold medals, 4 silver medals and 1 bronze medal.

Hopefully T&T can better our 2010 CW Games tally of 6 medals this time round and a few of the medals if not most of them will be gold. :thumbsup:

Now how many medals would you guys project that our T&F team and other teams taking part in the Commonwealth Games can realistically bring back home?

Please give us your input/predictions identifying which athletes or teams you think should medal as T&T aims to make the 2014 Commonwealth Games our best one ever performance and medal tally wise.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:47:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Some optimistic predictions..

JG bronze 400mh
JB bronze 400mh
MLA gold 100m bronze 200m
RT silver 100m * DB in final
KW gold Jav
RQ silver 400m * three Trinis in final
WD bronze 110mh
CB silver Shot
Men 4x100 silver
Women 4x100 silver
Men 4x400 gold ;)
Women 4x400 bronze (Lucas and Bellile now in the mix).

= Our best Commonwealth games

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:32:06 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Some optimistic predictions..

JG bronze 400mh
JB bronze 400mh
MLA gold 100m bronze 200m
RT silver 100m * DB in final
KW gold Jav
RQ silver 400m * three Trinis in final
WD bronze 110mh
CB silver Shot
Men 4x100 silver
Women 4x100 silver
Men 4x400 gold ;)
Women 4x400 bronze (Lucas and Bellile now in the mix).

= Our best Commonwealth games

Regards your gold prediction for our Men 4x400m relay team that is easier said than done.
Don't forget that Bahamas, Britain and Jamaica will all have serious 4x400m relay teams who are also going to be strong medal contenders. We will definitely have to smash our national record again to beat the Bahamas if they come to the CW Games with their Olympic gold winning relay team.

If Deon Lendore runs in the final as we are hoping then yes a gold medal is possible for us with our 4x4 relay team running in this order:- Lalonde Gordon >> Renny Quow >> Jarrin Solomon >> Deon Lendore.
We will require low 44 opening legs from both Gordon and Quow to establish ourselves in a winning position and we will need a sub-45 leg from Solomon to maintain our winning position on the 3rd leg and provided Gordon, Quow and Solomin can do the job outlined then Deon should be able to see us home safely for the gold medal. Anything less and the Bahamas will most likely win the gold and we will be figthing with Jamaica and Britain for silver and bronze.

Based on the team selected it looks like Cedenio will definitely not be running in the 4x400m relay as the CW Games as he will be recovering from duties at the World Junior Games and may still be exhausted.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:27:53 AM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

45.90  CAC CAC GAMES                                           
                46.20  U23 NACAC U-23                                         
Section  2 Finals                                                                       

And how long does that take? Shouldn't they be able to get that done within a week or two especially if they are fast tracked?

Crisis hits would-be travellers
Bid to relocate passport machine
Published: Saturday, June 28, 2014
By: Radhica Sookraj (T&T Guardian)

Government is yet to decide whether the Immigration Division’s passport printing machine would be relocated from Frederick Street, Port-of-Spain so that processing of passports could continue. This recommendation was made by Minister of National Security Gary Griffith in response to escalating protest from staff at the Immigration Division. Griffith and a team of ministers including Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal met last night to discuss the protests.

On Thursday, immigration staff heeded a call from president of the Public Service Association Watson Duke to shut down the San Fernando and Port-of-Spain offices because of electrical and infrastructural problems. Since then hundreds of people have been unable to travel because they cannot get their passports. In an interview yesterday, Griffith said he planned to discuss the crisis with other ministers of government and Duke.

“I understand that Frederick Street office is not opening any time soon. I am trying to get this matter rectified as soon as possible so that people will be able to get their passports,” said Griffith. He added that the passport printing machine might be moved this weekend. A source at Immigration said it might take more than a week for the machine to be reassembled once it is moved.

Duke has already raised red flags about the relocation of the printing machine, saying proper security arrangements must be made to ensure it is not misused. Duke also said he would not allow employees’ safety to be jeopardised. Contacted after their meeting, Griffith said it was now uncertain whether the machine would be moved.

He said further questions should be directed to Chief Immigration Officer Gerry Downes and leader of Government Business Dr Roodal Moonilal, who chaired the meeting. When contacted, Downes said he was not authorised to speak. He said questions should be directed to Moonilal, who chaired the meeting, but who could not be reached for comment.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:59:18 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

45.90  CAC CAC GAMES                                           
                46.20  U23 NACAC U-23                                         
Section  2 Finals                                                                       

Crisis hits would-be travellers
Bid to relocate passport machine
Published: Saturday, June 28, 2014
By: Radhica Sookraj (T&T Guardian)

Government is yet to decide whether the Immigration Division’s passport printing machine would be relocated from Frederick Street, Port-of-Spain so that processing of passports could continue. This recommendation was made by Minister of National Security Gary Griffith in response to escalating protest from staff at the Immigration Division. Griffith and a team of ministers including Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal met last night to discuss the protests.

On Thursday, immigration staff heeded a call from president of the Public Service Association Watson Duke to shut down the San Fernando and Port-of-Spain offices because of electrical and infrastructural problems. Since then hundreds of people have been unable to travel because they cannot get their passports. In an interview yesterday, Griffith said he planned to discuss the crisis with other ministers of government and Duke.

“I understand that Frederick Street office is not opening any time soon. I am trying to get this matter rectified as soon as possible so that people will be able to get their passports,” said Griffith. He added that the passport printing machine might be moved this weekend. A source at Immigration said it might take more than a week for the machine to be reassembled once it is moved.

Duke has already raised red flags about the relocation of the printing machine, saying proper security arrangements must be made to ensure it is not misused. Duke also said he would not allow employees’ safety to be jeopardised. Contacted after their meeting, Griffith said it was now uncertain whether the machine would be moved.

He said further questions should be directed to Chief Immigration Officer Gerry Downes and leader of Government Business Dr Roodal Moonilal, who chaired the meeting. When contacted, Downes said he was not authorised to speak. He said questions should be directed to Moonilal, who chaired the meeting, but who could not be reached for comment.

That explains why their passports cannot be fast tracked at this time.
Must be very frustrating for the Roudette family.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:03:41 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue, Walcott in Commonwealth 43-member squad
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
Jehue, Walcott in Commonwealth 43-member squad
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jun 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM ECT

Reigning men’s 400 metres hurdles world champion Jehue Gordon, 2012 Olympic men’s javelin gold medallist Keshorn Walcott, and the fastest sprinters in the world this year, Richard ‘Torpedo’ Thompson and Michelle-Lee Ahye, are among 43 track and field athletes selected to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the July 23-August 3 Commonwealth Games, in Glasgow, Scotland.

Last Saturday, Thompson clocked 9.82 seconds to win the men’s 100 metres title at the NGC/Sagicor National Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain. The clocking is a new national record and the fastest time in the world this year.

Ahye was also victorious on Saturday, striking gold in the women’s 100m dash with a 10.88 seconds run. She had clocked 10.85 in the semifinal round to move to the top of the 2014 world performance list.

Eight-four athletes in 12 other sports were previously named on the T&T team for the Commonwealth Games. A total of 127 athletes will represent the Red, White and Black in Glasgow.

TRACK & FIELD TEAM

Men
—Richard Thompson (100, 4x100), Keston Bledman (100, 4x100), Darrel Brown (100, 4x100), Kyle Greaux (200), Jereem Richards (200, 4x400), Rondel Sorrillo (200, 4x100), Lalonde Gordon (400, 4x400), Renny Quow (400, 4x400), Jarrin Solomon (400, 4x400), Jamaal James (800), Kendis Bullard (800), Wayne Davis II (110 hurdles), Mikel Thomas (110 hurdles), Durell Busby (110 hurdles), Jehue Gordon (400 hurdles), Emanuel Mayers (400 hurdles), Kashef Daniel (high jump), Kyron Blaise (long jump), Robert Collingwood (shot put), Quincy Wilson (discus), Keshorn Walcott (javelin), Marc Burns (4x100), Emmanuel Callender (4x100), Deon Lendore (4x400), Zwede Hewitt (4x400)

Women—Michelle-Lee Ahye (100, 200, 4x100), Kai Selvon (100, 4x100), Kamaria Durant (100, 4x100), Reyare Thomas (200, 4x100), Shawna Fermin (400, 4x400), Romona Modeste (400, 4x400), Domonique Williams (400, 4x400), Alena Brooks (800, 4x400), Pilar McShine (1500), Josanne Lucas (100 hurdles, 4x400), Deborah John (100 hurdles, 4x100), Janeil Bellille (400 hurdles, 4x400), Tonya Nero (marathon), Deandra Daniel (high jump), Ayanna Alexander (triple jump), Cleopatra Borel (shot put), Annie Alexander (shot put, discus), Lisa Wickham (4x100)

Officials—George Comissiong (manager), Lester Osouna (coach), Arlon Morrison (coach), Gunness Persad (coach), Gerard Franklin (coach), Ismael Lopez (coach), Michelle Pennie (coach), Robin Brereton (coach), Paul Voisin (coach)

Medical staff—Verne Alleyne, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder, Dr Anyl Gopeesingh

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Borel, Alexander to hunt more Commonwealth silverware
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 11:56:57 AM »
Borel, Alexander to hunt more Commonwealth silverware
Published: Saturday, June 28, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

Cleopatra Borel and Ayanna Alexander, the only T&T female athletics representatives who won silverware four years ago, will lead a strong national line-up at to the 2014 Commonwealth Games, which takes place in Glasgow, Scotland, from July 23-August 3.

Borel and Alexander both finished with silver in the women’s shout put and triple jump events, respectively, at the 2010 event held in India. Borel also won a medal, bronze, at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Australia.

Along with Borel in the women’s shot put line-up is Annie Alexander, who will also feature in her favoured discus event.

The full team was announced yesterday by the T&T Commonwealth Games Association and the T&T Olympic Committee.Meanwhile, T&T fields a men’s line-up which features no returning medalists in athletics from the last Commonwealth Games.

Olympic bronze medalist George Bovell will feature. Top local shooter Roger Daniel, who won bronze at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and cycling sensation Njisane Phillip are also in the group.
In the team events, T&T will feature a hockey team and a rugby sevens team.

Athletics teams for Commonwealth Games:-

Women

100m- Michelle-Lee Ahye, Kai Selvon, Kamaria Durant

200m- Michelle-Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas

400m- Shawna Fermin, Romona Modeste, Domonique Williams

800m- Alena Brooks

1500m- Pilar McShine

4x100m- Michelle Lee Ahye, Kai Selvon, Kamaria Durant, Reyare Thomas, Lisa Wickham, Deborah John.

4x400m- Shawna Fermin, Alena Brooks, Romona Modeste, Domonique Williams, Janeil Bellille, Josane Lucas.

Marathon- Tonya Nero

100m hurdles- Josanne Lucas, Deborah John

400m hurdles- Janeil Bellille

Triple jump- Ayanna Alexander

High jump- Deandra Daniel

Shot put- Cleopatra Borel, Annie Alexander

Discus- Annie Alexander

Men

100m- Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Darrel Brown

200m- Kyle Gereaux, Jereem Richards, Rondell Sorrillo

400m- Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow, Jarrin Solomon

110m hurdles- Wayne Davis, Mikel Thomas, Durel Busby

400m hurdles- Jehue Gordon, Emanuel Mayers

800m- Jamal James and Kendis Bullard

4x100m- Keston Bledman, Richard Thompson, Darrel Brown, Marc Burns, Rondell Sorrillo, Emmanuel Callender

4x400m- Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Deon Lendore, Reny Quow, Jereem Richards, Zwede Hewitt

Long jump - Kyron Blaise

High jump- Kashief Daniel

Discus- Quincy Wilson

Shot put- Robert Collingwood

Javelin- Keshorn Walcott

Officials

Manager- George Commissiong

Coaches- Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklin, Ismael Lopez, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton, Paul Voisin.

Medics- Verne Alleyne, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder, Dr Anyl Gopeesingh.

Other sports

Aquatics

George Bovell, Dylan Carter

Boxing
Michael Alexander, Aaron Prince

Cycling
Njisane Phillip, Quincy Alexander

Gymnastics
William Albert, Marissa Dick, Khazia Hislop

Hockey

Men

Darren Cowie, Mickel Pierre, Andrey Rocke, Marcus James, Shaquille Daniel, Tariq Marcano, Stefan Mouttet, Kwandwane Browne, Ishmael Campbell, Aidan De Gannes, Solomon Eccles, Dillet Gilkes, Nicholas Grant, Michael II Otis O’Connor, Jordon Reynos, Akim Toussaint

Women
Patricia Wright-Alexis, Petal Derry, Alanna Lewis, Kwylan Jaggassar, Amie Olton, Savanah De Fretias, Amanda George, Avion Ashton, Elise Olton, Kayla Brathwaite, Fiona O’Brien, Dana-Lee De Gannes, Brianna Govia, Tamia Roach, Zene Henry, Brittney Hingh.

Judo
Christopher George

Netball
Joelisa Cooper, Kalifa Mc Collin, Janelle Barker, Samantha Wallace, Rhonda John-Davis, Tricia Liverpool, Onella Jack, Anika La Roche-Brice, Candice Guerero, Kemba Duncan, Alicia Liverpool, Daystar Swift.

Rugby sevens
Agboola Silverthorn, David Gokool, Aasan Lewis, Kelson Figaro, Shaquille Tull, James Phillip, Jonathon O’Connor, Anthony Lopez, Keishon Walker, Joseph Quashie, Rowell Gordon, Jesse Richards.

Shooting
Michael Perez, Norris Gomez, Marlon Moses, Rhodney Allen, Roger Daniel.

Squash
Colin Ramasra, Kale Wilson, Kerrie Sample, Charlotte Knaggs. Table Tennis Dexter St Louis, Curtis Humphreys,
Aaron Wilson, Yuvraj Dookram, Rheann Chung, Ashley Quashie, Aleena Edwards, Catherine Spicer,

Triathlon
David Cottle
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:37:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon, Quow and Lucas in T&T Commonwealth team
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Gordon, Quow and Lucas in T&T Commonwealth team
June 28, 2014 (SportScoreTobago.com)

Double Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon is among four Tobago athletes who have been named in T&T’s 43 member track and field contingent for the 20th Commonwealth Games set for Glasgow, Scotland from July 27 to August 3. Gordon has been selected to compete in the men’s 400m after his second place finish at the National Championships at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain on June 21, narrowly behind Renny Quow.  Gordon will be looking to improve on his bronze medal finish at the London Olympics in 2012 while Quow will have his eyes at upgrading from his third place position at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, Germany. T&T’s other entrant in the race is Jarrin Solomon.  Gordon is making his second Commonwealth Games team. He reached the semifinals of the men’s 400m at the 2010 Games in New Delhi, India. Gordon and Quow are part of a strong men’s 4x400m team which won bronze at the inaugural World Relays in Bahamas in April and also at the 2012 London Olympic Games.  Another World Championships bronze medallist Josanne Lucas got the nod for the women’s 100m hurdles.  The national women’s 400m hurdles record holder is also listed a part of the women’s 4x400m relay team. Tobago’s other selectees is high jumper Kashef Daniel who set a new national records earlier this season (2.15-indoor, 2.12-outdoor).

Zenith coaches Arlon Morrison and Gerard Franklyn have also been named in the coaching staff along with Dr. Verne Alleyne on the medial team.  Netballer Kemba Duncan was earlier selected in the netball contingent. Duncan is making her second trip to the Commonwealth Games after competing in 2010. Keishon Walker is also part of the men’s rugby  seven team.

T&T’s Commonwealth Games Track and Field contingent

WOMEN-18

100m-Michelle-Lee Ahye(Rebirth), Kai Selvon (Airbon Sonics), Kamaria Durant (Simplex)
200m-Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas (Neon Trackers)
400m-Shawna Fermin (Memphis Pioneers), Romona Modeste (Neon Trackers), Domonique Williams (Neon Trackers)
800m-Aleena Brooks (Memphis Pioneers)
1500m-Pilar Mc Shine (Success and Excellence)
Marathon-Tonya Nero (Athletic Central)
100m Hurdles-Josanne Lucas (Tobago Falcons), Deborah John (Airbon Sonics)
400m Hurdles-Janeil Bellille (Neon Trackers)
Shot put-Cleopatra Borel (Rebirth), Annie Alexander (Burnley)
Discus-Annie Alexander
High Jump-Deandra Daniel (Dovers)
Triple Jump-Ayana Alexander (Unattached)
4x100m-Lee Ahye, Selvon, Durant, Thomas, John, Lisa Wickham (Concorde)
4x400m-Fermin, Modeste, Williams, Brooks, Bellille, Lucas

MEN-24
100m-Richard Thompson (Rebirth), Keston Bledman (Simplex), Darrel Brown (Rebirth)
200m-Rondel Sorillo (La Brea), Kyle Greaux (Abilene Wildcats), Jereem Richards (Abilene Wildcats)
400m-Renny Quow (Zenith), Lalonde Gordon (Nike), Jarrin Solomon (Memphis Pioneers)
800m-Jamaal James (Rebirth), Kendis Bullard (TT Defence Force)
110m Hurdles-Wayne Davis 11 (Unattached), Mikel Thomas (Rebirth), Durel Busby (Tobago Jaguars)
400m Hurdles-Jehue Gordon (Memphis Pioneers), Emanuel Mayers (Rebirth)
Shot Put-Robert Collingwood (QRC)
Discus-Quincy Wilson (Rebirth)
Javelin-Keshorn Walcott (Rebirth)
High Jump-Kashief Daniel (Zenith)
Long Jump-Kyron Blaise (Rebirth)
4x100m-Thompson, Bledman, Brown, Sorillo, Marc Burns (Rebirth), Emmanuel Callender (Memphis Pioneers)
4x400m-L Gordon, Quow, Solomon,  Richards, Deon Lendore (Abilene Wildcats), Zwede Hewitt (Rebirth)

OFFICIALS
Manager-George Commissiong
Coaches-Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklyn, Ishmael Lopez-Mastrapa, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton, Paul Voision
MEDICAL
Dr. Verne Alleyne, Dr. Anyl Gopeesingh, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder

Tobago athletes in other sports

NETBALL- Kemba Duncan
RUGBY SEVENS-Keishon Walker

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 02:56:15 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott, Gordon in T&T's CG 44-member team
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
Walcott, Gordon in T&T's CG 44-member team
June 28th 8:03am
By Clayton Clarke, TrackAlerts.com writer

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott  and World men’s 400m hurdles gold medalist Jehue Gordon have been named in T&T’s 44 member athletic contingent for the 20th Commonwealth Games set for Glasgow, Scotland from July 23 to August 23. 

Walcott shocked the world with his historic win at the 2012 London Olympic Games when he won the men’s javelin title. As a19 year old Walcott won T&T’s second Olympic gold medal and will be looking to add the Commonwealth title to his collection. 

The 2012 World Junior champion will be aiming to rebound from his injury plague 2013 season where he failed to advanced to the finals at the Moscow World Outdoor Championships. Gordon (J) will be aiming to add Commonwealth success after he took the world title at the 2013 Moscow World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

World leading sprinters Richard Thompson and Michelle Lee Ahye have also been named in a release by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee on Friday June 27.

The  sprint duo sped the fastest 100m times in the world for 2014 on Saturday (June 21) at the National Championships/Commonwealth Games Trials at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. Thompson won his fifth national 100m crown in a new national record time of 9.82, lowering  the previous mark of 9.85 which he set in winning his third crown in 2011. Ahye ran away with her first national women's 100m crown with a clocking of 10.88 after stopping the clock at a world leading 10.85 in the semifinals.

The 44 member track and field members are part of the 128 contingent which will represent T&T in Scotland.

WOMEN-18

100m-Michelle-Lee Ahye(Rebirth), Kai Selvon (Airbon Sonics), Kamaria Durant (Simplex)

200m-Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas (Neon Trackers)

400m-Shawna Fermin (Memphis Pioneers), Romona Modeste (Neon Trackers), Domonique Williams (Neon Trackers)

800m-Aleena Brooks (Memphis Pioneers)

1500m-Pilar Mc Shine (Success and Excellence)

100m Hurdles-Josanne Lucas (Tobago Falcons), Deborah John (Airbon Sonics)

400m Hurdles-Janeil Bellille (Neon Trackers)

Shot put-Cleopatra Borel (Rebirth), Annie Alexander (Burnley)

Discus-Annie Alexander

High Jump-Deandra Daniel (Dovers)

Triple Jump-Ayana Alexander (Unattached)

4x100m-Lee Ahye, Selvon, Durant, Thomas, John, Lisa Wickham (Concorde)

4x400m-Fermin, Modeste, Williams, Brooks, Bellille, Lucas

MEN-24

100m-Richard Thompson (Rebirth), Keston Bledman (Simplex), Darrel Brown (Rebirth)

200m-Rondel Sorillo (La Brea), Kyle Greaux (Abilene Wildcats), Jereem Richards (Abilene Wildcats)

400m-Renny Quow (Zenith), Lalonde Gordon (Nike), Jarrin Solomon (Memphis Pioneers)

800m-Jamaal James (Rebirth), Kendis Bullard (TT Defence Force)

110m Hurdles-Wayne Davis 11 (Unattached), Mikel Thomas (Rebirth), Durel Busby (Tobago Jaguars)

400m Hurdles-Jehue Gordon (Memphis Pioneers), Emanuel Mayers (Rebirth)

Shot Put-Robert Collingwood (QRC)

Discus-Quincy Wilson (Rebirth)

Javelin-Keshorn Walcott (Rebirth)

High Jump-Kashief Daniel (Zenith)

Long Jump-Kyron Blaise (Rebirth)

4x100m-Thompson, Bledman, Brown, Sorillo, Marc Burns (Rebirth), Emmanuel Callender (Memphis Pioneers)

4x400m-L Gordon, Quow, Solomon,  Richards, Deon Lendore (Abilene Wildcats), Zwede Hewitt (Rebirth)

OFFICIALS

Manager-George Commissiong

Coaches-Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklyn, Ishmael Lopez-Mastrapa, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton, Paul Voision

MEDICAL

Dr. Verne Alleyne, Dr. Anyl Gopeesingh, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:04:21 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson focuses on Commonwealth gold
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
Thompson focuses on Commonwealth gold
Tuesday, July 1 2014 (T&T Newsday)

A GOLD medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next month will mean more to Trinidadian sprinter Richard Thompson than clocking fast times.

The 29-year-old posted a world-leading 9.82 seconds in the National Championships here last week, to become the fastest man in the world this year. However, Thompson said while running fast times was important, his focus was on winning the big prize in the 100 metres at the Commonwealth Games.

“As an athlete, the goal is to be the best in the world. Obviously, being at the top of the (world) rankings holds high significance to me, however, I think more than a world ranking or more than a time, it means something more in terms of actually lining up against significant competition at the Commonwealth Games and beating the field there,” Thompson said.

“The fact that I am able to run that fast and the fact that I’m at the top of the list obviously means it puts me in good stead to be able to achieve that goal that I have of being a Commonwealth gold medallist.” Thompson has not won a major Olympic individual medal since copping silver behind champion Usain Bolt at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. However, he has displayed superb form this season, raising hopes of a medal at the July 23 to August 3 Games.

Earlier this month, he clocked 9.95 seconds at the IAAF World Challenge Meeting in Hengelo and then followed up with victory in the Diamond League, speeding to 10.02 seconds at the Bislett Games in Norway. Late last month, Thompson clocked 9.74 seconds to win at the National Training Centre/Pure Athletics Last Chance Meet in Florida but the time could not be ratified because of an illegal wind limit.

Thomson said he was aware that it would take a special effort to win gold at the Commonwealth Games and was trying to keep himself in the best possible shape.

1]; } ?>