April 25, 2024, 12:54:07 PM

Author Topic: Homeless After Glasgow  (Read 2102 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Homeless After Glasgow
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,198823.html

HOMELESS AFTER GLASGOW
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH

TWO-TIME Trinidad and Tobago 110 metre hurdles Olympian Mikel Thomas, has been kicked out of his Florida apartment and forced to abruptly end his 2014 competitive season due to the unavailability of Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funds from the Ministry of Sport.

Ironically, Thomas received an email with the eviction notice from his landlord approximately three weeks ago, while en route to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. Sadly, this has been the case for Thomas since the start of 2014. Speaking to the athlete from his family’s home in New York yesterday, where he has been forced to take up temporary residence, after returning from national duty last week, Thomas revealed he has not received funds from the EAAP since May 2013. The EAAP was designed to help TT athletes prepare for major international meets by defraying costs for supplements, training, accommodation etc.

On June 7, Newsday published a story highlighting Thomas’ call for public assistance via a fund- raising website so as to attend the National Track and Field Championships in June. His plea carried the theme - “Help Keep the Dream Alive” - and was made on www.gofunddme.com. The 2013 national champion was able to muster funds and returned to TT to compete and bagged silver in his pet event. To date however, nothing has changed and the former national 110m hurdle champion is contemplating ending his professional career.

“My situation has not improved in any way and I have been forced out my apartment. I can’t make preparations for next season because of a lack of support and the amount of debt I am now in because of it,” an upset Thomas told Newsday.

“I did not have money and was unable to renew my lease. My rent was US$450 per month. I am at a point where even if I get a job now, it (the money) wouldn’t be enough. The time and commitment of being an elite athlete, makes it hard to continue. I have received no notification from the Ministry of Sport as to when funds will be available. I am in my physical prime yet because of no support from my country, I am at the point where I am considering leaving athletics,” Thomas said.

The 26-year old, who holds the national 110m record of 13.19 seconds, said he still desires to continue to train, compete and represent the red, white and black. But without financial assistance, this is near impossible, at least at an elite level. Thomas has even given up his car to cut his expenses and is using a bicycle as his main mode of transportation. He has not received elite funding since May of 2013.

Thomas said he is not the only TT athlete having problems with accessing Elite funding. He said other athletes while receiving funds, have not been given the full amount. The excuse for this, when athletes visited the Sport Ministry, was a miscalculation by someone.

Thomas last contacted the Sport Ministry in June and was told, “funds are unavailable.” No explanation was forthcoming as to why there was no funding available.

The 2009 University of Kentucky graduate, who prior to his eviction, used to be a volunteer coach at the University of Florida, continued, “I’ve run out of options. My only option now is to work and fend for myself. It’s disappointing. There’s an expectation to perform but no help in the process or development. I’ve shown how productive I can be with aid yet I can’t get an email (from Ministry of Sport) or call returned.

“I’ve followed procedures and done my part and all I ask is for the same nation I so proudly represent, to do theirs. Can you imagine how it felt to be kicked out your apartment while you’re at a tournament representing your country? It is a national duty and honor (to represent TT), yet I no longer have a place to call home. Is that right?”

At the recently concluded Commonwealth Games, Thomas placed fourth in his heat and thus did not advance to the semi-final stage of the 110m hurdles. He believes the email from his landlord stating he was evicted, had a negative impact on his mind set going into the race.

“I don’t think I was able to have the same mentality this year. It was a struggle each race and the pressure to have to run to make some money to eat...it took away from the joy of the sport and where you need to be. It became a weight and a cloud.

“Commonwealth was a bad race but we prepare to where our worst is better than the rest, or good enough to see another day. I wasn’t able to prepare that way this year,” said an unhappy Thomas.

Up to late yesterday evening, Thomas revealed that he is still trying to hold firm, despite his world crumbling down.

“I’m not asking for any big money nor am I trying to make the ministry or government look bad. But for those who can make a difference, please do. I bleed this, I pour out all I have for my country but how can you expect a man to compete with the best, if he can’t even eat or have a place to stay? We are ambassadors for our country. I’ve gone places where I met people who never even heard of Trinidad and Tobago. All I am asking is for the same people who I represent as an athlete, to support me and my efforts,” Thomas said.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:46:54 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Homeless After Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
Disgraceful that the folks at the Ministry of Sports are suffering our athletes like this who are trying to put T&T on the map and bring home medals to make our country proud.

I hope our new Minister of Sports Dr Rupert Griffith makes providing all funding still owing to all our Elite Athletes a top priority.
So glad to see the back of Anil who I hold personally responsible for this disgrace and for Mikel Thomas losing his home.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Discussion about this now on i95.5FM: http://i955fm.com/listen/

Live interview with Mikel Thomas on the issue.

Currently in studio: Ephraim Serrette &  Peter Samuel.

Also calling in to programme: Brian Lewis of TTOC.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:30:29 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:02:50 PM »
Wish the caller had clarified his question about Lendore as to why he was listed on the team roster yet did not travel with the team.

It's a good thing the NAAAs are in discussions with his coach and are even contemplating buying the last year of his scholarship, or bringing up the option of him redshirting next year to free him up for the 2015 campaign whilst extending his presence at Texas A&M through 2016.

I think the best outcome is for him to redshirt next year, bust a new PR running unattached in the very low 44s or high 43s that will allow him the OPTION to forego his last year of eligibility by going pro in 2016, or as a fall back compete for Texas A&M in his senior year. In both cases he could still benefit from staying at Texas A&M to train and complete his degree.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:10:47 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:32 PM »
Wish the caller had clarified his question about Lendore as to why he was listed on the team roster yet did not travel with the team.

It's a good thing the NAAAs are in discussions with his coach and are even contemplating buying the last year of his scholarship, or bringing up the option of him redshirting next year to free him up for the 2015 campaign whilst extending his presence at Texas A&M through 2016.

I think the best outcome is for him to redshirt next year, bust a new PR running unattached in the very low 44s or high 43s that will allow him the OPTION to forego his last year of eligibility by going pro in 2016, or as a fall back compete for Texas A&M in his senior year. In both cases he could still benefit from staying at Texas A&M to train and complete his degree.
Good post. I hope they read your post here and pursue these options you have outlined for Lendore.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Proper support for best results
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:08:16 AM »
Proper support for best results
Story Created: Aug 8, 2014 at 8:40 PM ECT (T&T Express )

For the second time in two years, Great Britain was the location for Trinidad and Tobago’s athletes to send the patriotic mercury soaring.

Four medals, including Keshorn Walcott’s golden surprise in the men’s javelin, made London 2012 the most successful Olympic Games in the country’s history.

The city this time was Glasgow, and there was a great sense of anticipation ahead of the 2014 Commonwealth Games. For close to half a century, the T&T benchmark has been nine medals, the 1966 team having set an extremely high standard.

On paper, the Glasgow gang had the potential to surpass that nine-medal haul and, perhaps, even match the five-gold showing of the Kingston crew. But medals are earned on the track, in the field, in the ring, on the shooting range... not on paper.

Eight times in Glasgow, there were podium finishes for T&T athletes.

Reigning champions Olympic gold medallist Walcott and IAAF World Championship men’s 400-metre hurdles king Jehue Gordon added Commonwealth silver to their already impressive resumes, further justifying the decision each has taken to train at home.

Walcott’s 85.28 metres national record was an emphatic response to critics bent on painting a picture of the Toco athlete as a one-throw wonder. And in the one-lap hurdles final, Gordon produced the season’s best clocking.

T&T’s other Glasgow silver medallist, Cleopatra Borel, is also based at home and is coached by the man who guided Walcott to Olympic gold, Cuban Ismael Lopez Mastrapa. Switching her training base to T&T has worked well for Borel, who now has two Commonwealth silvers as well as a bronze.

Track and field captured four bronze medals in Glasgow for a total of seven medals at the Games. And there was bronze too for lightweight boxer Michael Alexander.

For those who are inclined to criticise the team for not striking gold, hold that thought. Athletes faced a high level of competition, and even the fastest 800 metres runner in history, Kenya’s Olympic champion David Rudisha, was denied gold.

Glasgow 2014 was a satisfactory outing for Team T&T. As we build on that performance and continue preparations for the 2016 Rio Olympics, the athletes must be given the support required to compete with and beat the best in the world.

Many T&T athletes have been preparing for national duty without funding. Yet, there is a high level of expectation. A two-time Olympic medallist should not have to go to the press in June appealing for the $250,000 elite funding cheque that should have financed his preparations for the 2014 season, Glasgow included.

To add insult to injury, that athlete, and others in a similar situation, must read about a $34 million LifeSport payment for absolutely nothing.

What a difference $34 million can make for the athletes who labour on a daily basis to bring glory to the country.

To those in authority equipped with the resources to make a difference in our sporting fortunes, the ball is in your court.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:11:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 02:22:07 AM »
Here are details of Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP from the T&T government's Ministry of Sports website.

Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP)

In keeping with the National Sport Policy, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago is committed to providing financial assistance to outstanding athletes, in support of their preparation for, and participation in international competition.

The Policy that guides the EAAP provides financial support for nationals who have attained the qualifying international ranking determined by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC).
These policy guidelines were developed through consultation with the TTOC, national sporting organisations and other co-opted interests.

As such, the EAAP speaks to:

Athletes who are world-ranked in individual sports
    Those sports included in Olympic events and programmes
    Athletes who medal at Olympic Games, World Championships, Commonwealth Games, Senior Pan
    American Games and Senior Central American and Caribbean Games.

Funding is allocated under the following categories:

Athletes ranked in the World Top 15 positions will qualify for the current maximum sum of $250,000
    Athletes ranked in the World Top 16-40 positions will benefit up to $187,500 (75% of the maximum
    sum)
    Athletes who medal at the specific Games and Championships will benefit, on a case-by-case basis,
    from up to $75,000 (30% of the maximum sum)
    The funding will be provided for athletes who undergo a four-year cycle of preparation and training
    leading up an Olympic year.

The funding is intended to meet the following expenses:

Training schedules
    Coaching fees
    Nutritional and medical expenses
    Travel expenses for training
    Travel expenses for sanctioned competitions and pre-Games tours
    Accommodation for training
    Professional expenses
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:22:06 AM by Socapro »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
Can't see how an athlete will depend on this assistance to live.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
Think of the money wasted on Life Sport.
Now think of Mikel Thomas.

SMH

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T hurdles champ faces another stumbling block
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »
TT hurdles champ faces another stumbling block
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Monday, August 11 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Five-time national 110 metre hurdles champion, Mikel Thomas, has been presented with a golden opportunity to train alongside reigning Olympic champion and world record holder, American Aries Merritt, at the World Athletics Center in Paradise Valley, North Phoenix, Arizona.

Over the past six weeks, Thomas has been in talks with the Center’s recruiting coordinator/ sprint hurdle coach, Andreas Behm, who has equally shown interest in the two-time Trinidad and Tobago Olympian. However, the 26-year old cannot simply join this esteemed training programme and must first undergo an interview process.

But, the current National 110m hurdle record holder is merely exploring his options at the moment since he is still waiting on a response from the Ministry of Sport as to when, if ever, he would be receiving his promised funding from the Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP). This programme, according to the Sport Ministry’s website, was created to “provide financial assistance to outstanding athletes, in support of their preparation for, and participation in international competition”.

Thomas, who has met all requirements to be a beneficiary of the EAAP, has not received any monetary help since May 2013 and was recently evicted from his Florida apartment due to the inability to pay his bills on time. He has since been forced to give up his professional training and volunteer job as an assistant coach at the University of Florida. Presently, he is bunking by family members in New York and using this time to weigh all options for his athletic future.

“I looked into it (World Athletics Center) to seek options but there is equal interest and they have expressed my approval and desire to have me. They have kept in contact with me and I’m hoping I can still seize the opportunity and get ready for 2015/16 season there,” Thomas said yesterday.

“I can only go if I can fit the cost. They have other foreign athletes there, but they are either fully sponsored or aided by their respected governments or federations. Without the support for me, this once in a lifetime move might just slip away. The Center would have all I need to take things to a next level. Track and strength coaches, medical and physiotherapist aid, good weather, elite training partners and facilities as well,” he revealed.

Other than this, the 2014 Gugl Games champion is considering returning to Florida and his volunteer coaching job with the help of the University assistant coach, Erin Tucker.

He added, “I’m working as hard as I can to organise (myself). I’m even looking into what a move back to Trinidad might be. I’m not opposed to coming home, but help and a plan has to be in place. The best training conditions would be at the World Center though. As I wait to see what direction God will take me I will do my best to knock every door I can.”

All attempts to contact newly appointed Minister of Sport, Dr Rupert Griffith, for a comment on Thomas’ crisis proved futile throughout Saturday and yesterday. On Saturday, Newsday was told that Dr Griffith was in a meeting on two occasions. Yesterday, two attempts were again made to contact the Minister, but both went unanswered.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:17:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
Think of the money wasted on Life Sport.
Now think of Mikel Thomas.

SMH

VB
That puts it into perspective, right there. So much waste and theft while our athletes live on meager income.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>