April 25, 2024, 12:09:30 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49717 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
This young English woman who won this race (Jodi Williams). I remember her from World Juniors few years ago. I think her parents are Trini.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnMb3t_Dvs
Her dad is my dad's cousin... He's from Tobago, her mom is English
I think that makes you two 3rd cousins?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Take a moment fellas.

Shai-Anne Davis of Canada.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 ^^ :D Post of the day Peong

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sorillo missed the last 200m spot. 

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This young English woman who won this race (Jodi Williams). I remember her from World Juniors few years ago. I think her parents are Trini.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnMb3t_Dvs
2nd, actually.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue grabbed silver. Almost got nipped at the line

Was hoping for gold but congrats Jehue! :beermug:

Rank   Name                    Country   Time
1   Cornel Fredericks   South Africa   48.50
2   Jehue Gordon   TTO                   48.75
3   Jeffery Gibson   Bahamas           48.78
4   Niall Flannery   England           49.46
5   Christian Cuevas-Morton   Nigeria   49.65
6   Boniface Mucheru   Kenya          49.99
7   Richard Yates   England          50.13
8   Annsert Whyte   Jamaica           DNF
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:34:36 PM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sorillo missed the last 200m spot. 
Only has himself to blame. He slowed down again in his semi near the end of the race rather than running thru to the line. Someone of his age and experience should not be making naive mistakes like that in a Championship qualification semi-final.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
2nd, actually.
Third actually, she's my dad's second cousin :) lol

Offline chelsealife

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Take a moment fellas.

Shai-Anne Davis of Canada.

Take a moment for what? Not that impressive. She's no Sanya RIchards-Ross <3<3

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2nd, actually.
:thumbsup:
And she just won silver. Like you have some talent in your family?

Offline chelsealife

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2nd, actually.
:thumbsup:
And she just won silver. Like you have some talent in your family?
I'm rly happy for her  :beermug:. She has always been athletic though, not a bad gymnast either.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats to Jehue Gordon winning Silver. T&T is proud of you.

He did very well considering he has not ran much this year because he was focused on his studies at UWI

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats to Jehue Gordon winning Silver. T&T is proud of you.

He did very well considering he has not ran much this year because he was focused on his studies at UWI

yea understood but ah still disappointed it wasn't gold. Need to hear our national anthem played. Alright Kershorn your turn.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dudes, allyuh go argument 'who prettier than the other'. Both are attractive and talented. Move it over to the Babes Thread

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That Gibson fella look unorthodox, but he could cause some damage in the future.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Tobago girl Josanne Lucas will run the 100H final tomorrow. I hope she runs a PB so she will give herself a serious chance to medal.

http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atw011101/womens_100m_hurdles_final.html

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Hope Quow is not injured as he did not finish (DNF) and we need him for the 4x4 Relay to maximize our chances of pushing for gold. This is why Cedenio should have been listed in our 4x4 relay squad despite attending World Junior Champs because he has been back home for the last week resting and twiddling his toes when he could have gained some useful experience running for us at the Commonwealth Games.
If the Jamiacans had a young quarter miler like Cedenio that is healthy then he would not have been left at home for these CWGs. If we don't win 4x400m Relay Gold then I believe the short-sightedness of the CWG team selectors can be blamed as a factor.

Another non-selection that is puzzling is Carlyle Roudette. He has been a solid mid 44.xx relay leg all year long for Texas A&M who competed for selection (and placed what 3rd or 4th?) in the senior champs. Even after the long collegiate season he should be able and ready to run 2 x 400m relay legs as is Lendore. I think it would have been as risky to select Cedenio for the CWG taking into account his longer term future and risk of injury in cold conditions, coming from hot Eugene.

Again, the selectors do not seem to invest in risk planning, thinking "everything will work out". NO....the team traveled to and is competing in a "cold for summer" location (60 F for the 400m final). You must expect the eventuality of one or more of your critical relay leg athletes risking or enduring minor or severe injuries especially on tired legs, having run rounds to get to a final. This is even more exacerbated for the faster 100 and 200 men down to run the 4x100m.

I would like to think that an experienced Quow stopped before something actually pulled or popped and that the physio will be busy working on him with tomorrow being a day off before the relays. The only alternative is Jereem Richards or a tired Jehue Gordon after the 400m hurdles, but that will not be enough to overhaul Bahamas or even the UK or Jamaica, unless Chris Brown is more hurt than was reported.

Heard Cedenio will be apart of the 4x400m relay team

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Tobago girl Josanne Lucas will run the 100H final tomorrow. I hope she runs a PB so she will give herself a serious chance to medal.

http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atw011101/womens_100m_hurdles_final.html

Hopefully she can run a PB but I doubt even a PB from her will see her medalling in the 100m hurdles.

Her stronger event is the 400m hurdles and she messed up her chance of medalling in that event by false starting in her heat.

I suspect Anil being our Minister of Sports was blighting the team so now that he is gone maybe the luck of our athletes will change for the positive and we may start maximizing on our medal opportunities.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:25:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Hope Quow is not injured as he did not finish (DNF) and we need him for the 4x4 Relay to maximize our chances of pushing for gold. This is why Cedenio should have been listed in our 4x4 relay squad despite attending World Junior Champs because he has been back home for the last week resting and twiddling his toes when he could have gained some useful experience running for us at the Commonwealth Games.
If the Jamiacans had a young quarter miler like Cedenio that is healthy then he would not have been left at home for these CWGs. If we don't win 4x400m Relay Gold then I believe the short-sightedness of the CWG team selectors can be blamed as a factor.

Another non-selection that is puzzling is Carlyle Roudette. He has been a solid mid 44.xx relay leg all year long for Texas A&M who competed for selection (and placed what 3rd or 4th?) in the senior champs. Even after the long collegiate season he should be able and ready to run 2 x 400m relay legs as is Lendore. I think it would have been as risky to select Cedenio for the CWG taking into account his longer term future and risk of injury in cold conditions, coming from hot Eugene.

Again, the selectors do not seem to invest in risk planning, thinking "everything will work out". NO....the team traveled to and is competing in a "cold for summer" location (60 F for the 400m final). You must expect the eventuality of one or more of your critical relay leg athletes risking or enduring minor or severe injuries especially on tired legs, having run rounds to get to a final. This is even more exacerbated for the faster 100 and 200 men down to run the 4x100m.

I would like to think that an experienced Quow stopped before something actually pulled or popped and that the physio will be busy working on him with tomorrow being a day off before the relays. The only alternative is Jereem Richards or a tired Jehue Gordon after the 400m hurdles, but that will not be enough to overhaul Bahamas or even the UK or Jamaica, unless Chris Brown is more hurt than was reported.

How is that possible if he was not officially listed in the T&T CWG squad?
Also last time I heard Cedenio was in T&T chilling and recovering from winning his World Junior 400m title.
I suspect what you heard is simply a rumour unless Cedenio is now in Glasgow and has already overcome his jetlag and the time zone difference.
Plus I doubt that the CWG organizers will allow someone who was not listed on the T&T squad list to take part in the Games at this stage as there is a deadline before the Games starts for submitting names so that the organizers can allocate all athletes taking part their registration numbers.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:44:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Miserable weather, who cares?
« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
Scottish Times
Miserable weather, who cares?
Friday, August 1, 2014
By Andre Baptise (T&T Guardian)

For the entire stay so far in Glasgow for these Commonwealth Games, the weather personnel have been on the button, unlike some of our weathermen at home.

But, of all days, the weatherman got it wrong yesterday.

He told us that the sun would shine and the temperatures would be around 24 to 25 C, but there was just sun in name, and not in heat, and the temperature was a miserable 17C with rain intermittently.

So, yours truly, ever the optimist, ever the most defying, decided to wear a short pants. I should have been suspicious from the time I left the hotel and noticed no one else in shorts. Or even worse, the puzzled look on many of the faces as I as passed them should have been a give away were it not for the fact that most Scottish persons look a little forlorn in the early morning. This weather is not what they would rather wake up to find.

Small wonder that the bus co-ordinator and sales clerk in Marks and Spencer, who both had been to Tobago in the last three years for holidays were eagerly anticipating a return in the not too distant future.

Of course, they fell in love with the island, except in one case when some of the co-ordinator’s stuff was stolen. He wasn’t pleased at all. “It was the Trinis who came over on the boat and stole your stuff,” he was comforted, “Tobagonians are not that way.”

I must admit that that part of the conversation wasn’t reassuring. But my mood changed when I found a Thai Restaurant with delicious food. Good service, a reasonable price and quick turnaround improved the day.

I was still reminiscing on La Londe Gordon’s storming run down the straight in the 400 metres, when he gobbled up nearly all his opponents except the winner and second place. My short pants felt like a heated jeans. A few more metres and I am certain that bronze would have turned silver but there will be another day for this big hearted and long striding son of the soil.

Success meant that I could brave the weather to watch Cleopatra Borel perform. She asked us to witness her performance and I am not one to break my promise to a lady, so I was there.

From her first attempt, it was obvious she meant business. She was in second place immediately. And never looked like relinquishing it. In fact, she seemed poised to challenge the winner on every attempt thereafter.

Borel is a nice person who loves sport. She loves life and most of all she loves her country. She never forgets those who have supported her. It was wonderful to watch the smile on her face. She believed in herself and her ability, and took comfort from the support that top athletes earn.

There is a presence that suggests she is not just satisfied with another medal, she wants more. She is hungry for further success and whether it is through improvement under coach Ismael Lopez or rejuvenation, the world may soon be taking more notice of her.

It is easy to say that her medal was expected, but to actually perform in such cold, miserable conditions, requires not only a big heart, but guts and class, all of which identifies this mentally tough and focussed lady.

So with time running out and now down to a short pants and no kilt, I am forced to believe that when this is over, I may never acquire a proper fitting kilt. The truth is I tried on a few but they neither felt right nor looked acceptable, so I have resigned myself to short pants, even in these windy, cold conditions.

My next call would be for some Bagpipes, similar to those that were used to introduce Borel to the shot put medal ceremony and another proud T&T moment.

Cold miserable day it was at the start, but two medals later, it really did not matter.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue gets the job done
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2014, 12:35:56 AM »
Commonwealth Games 2014
Jehue gets the job done
Friday, August 1, 2014
By Rachael Thomspon-King (T&T Guardian)

Jehue Gordon knows how to get the job done.

He came with a plan, executed it well enough to emerge with the silver medal in the Men’s 400 metres hurdles final at the Commonwealth Games here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday.

Not even the rain could dampen the mood of T&T supporters at a cold Hampden Park Stadium as Gordon ran a season best 48.75 seconds.

“I must say thanks to Jehovah God,” said the world champion, who had the T&T flag proudly draped over his shoulders. “It’s been a rough season and at the end of the day I have produced when I needed to and I got another medal for T&T.

“Another medal to the tally and hopefully the team will continue to collect more medals throughout the championships.”

He finished behind South African Cornel Fredericks, who won gold in a time of 48.50. Third place finisher Bahamian Jeffrey Gibson chased down Gordon in the final 20 metres but the local hurdler battled to the end, thrusting his body across the line, landing spread-eagled on track to cement his second place. Gibson went on to break his country’s national record with his 48.78.

“I was definitely sensing someone fast approaching and I just wanted to make sure that I had it covered so I just pushed my whole body,” said Gordon, who felt some pain on his side. “Hopefully it’s nothing serious. I just have some pain on my upper hip from the fall.”

Jamaican Annsert Whyte, who was described as a key medal contender, also took a tumble after tripping over the hurdle on the final bend, to crash out of the medal race empty-handed.

Gordon gave T&T its fourth medal of the Games. A silver from shot-putter Cleopatra Borel and two bronze medals from Lalonde Gordon in the men’s 400m and Ayanna Alexander in the women’s triple jump.

In the final event of the night, Josanne Lucas, who false-started in the 400m hurdles event, the day before, redeemed herself by qualifying for the final of the 100m hurdles. She produced a time of 13.38 to place second in heat two.

Other entrant, Deborah John ran 13.63 to place fifth in the final heat, eliminating her.

Earlier, Rondell Sorrillo and Kyle Greaux failed to advance to the final of the men’s 200m event.

Sorrillo was third in heat two recording a time of 20. 57 just missing out as he placed ninth overall.

Greaux clocked 20.93 to place seventh in the third and final heat and held 19th spot from the 22 runners that competed.

It was a Jamaican sweep in the 200m final with Rasheed Dwyer copping gold, Warren Weir taking silver and Jason Livermore bagging bronze.

Reyare Thomas made a brilliant run out in lane eight to finish third in 23.35 in the second heat but did not qualify.

Annie Alexander finished 15th in the Discus event with a best toss of 47.73.

Gordon, Lalonde that is, will go in search of a second medal when he partners with fellow quartermilers Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow and world junior champion Machel Cedenio in the 4x400m semifinal heats.

The women’s relay team will also be in action today seeking to advance to tomorrow’s medal race.

Richard Thompson’s and Keston Bledman’s mission will also be to qualify for the final of the Men’s 4x100m relay.

The T&T sprinters failed to reach the final of the 100m and are even more “fired up” to get. Other members of the relay squad are Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender and Rondell Sorillo.

The women’s 400m relay team (Kai Selvon, Kamaria Durant, Reyare Thomas, Lisa Wickham and Deborah John) will look to progress also.

Both 4x400 teams will be eyeing a similar goal as they too line up in their respective semifinal heat.

Keshorn Walcott makes his introduction to the Games today in the qualifying round of the javelin event.

The Olympic champion will compete in the second group of throwers from 4.40 pm (T&T time).

Squash

At Scotstoun Campus in the mixed doubles competition, T&T had no success with both teams falling in their pool matches.

Colin Ramasra and Kerri Sample lost to Wales’ David Evans and Deon Saffery, 2-0 (11-1, 11-6) in Pool F while in Pool D, Kale Wilson and Charlotte Knaggs were also beaten, 2-0 (11-2, 11-5) by Peter Creed and Tesni Evans of Wales.

Table Tennis

Still at Scotstoun, Aleena Edwards and Catherine Spicer topped Botswana’s team of Boitshwarelo Butale and Magdeline Tshepiso Rebatenne, 3-0 (11-7, 11-4, 11-5) in the first round of women’s doubles.

The local duo advanced to play India’s Ankita Das and Poulomi Ghatak in the second round but fell 3-0 (11-7, 11-3, 11-4).

Rheann Chung and Ashley Quashie met Zhenhua Dederko and Ziyu Zhang of Australia in their second round match and they too were eliminated by a similar 3-0 margin, the scoreline reading 11-9, 11-9, 11-9.

Dexter St Louis and Chris Humphreys went under to Singapore’s Zi Yang and Jian Zhan, 3-0 (12-10, 11-7, 11-5) in the third round, to be ousted in the men’s doubles.

St Louis had better luck in the men’s singles competition, defeating Peter Graham of Northern Ireland, 4-2, (11-8, 10-12, 8-11, 11-5, 11-8, 11-9) and met Zhan again in the round of 32.

It was the Singaporean emerging with the 4-0 victory to knock T&T’s top table-tennis player out the competition.

Hockey

T&T hockey women showed a marked improvement defensively but still went under to Wales, 4-0 at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

Netball

Another dismal performance from T&T netballers saw them crash to a 46-28 defeat to host Scotland and had to settle for 10th spot.

Boxing

Today at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), T&T boxer Michael Alexander will look to take down Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzgerald in the men’s lightweight division, going at the gold medal as he already assured at least a bronze. The two losing semifinalists will be awarded bronze medals.

Gymnastics

T&T gymnast William Albert scored 70.331 to place last from 24 competitors in the men’s all-round final at the SSE Hydro on Wednesday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SWEET SILVER Jehue 2nd in season’s best 48.75
« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2014, 01:32:52 AM »
SWEET SILVER
Jehue 2nd in season’s best 48.75

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM ECT (T&T Express)

As he had done at last year’s IAAF World Championships, Jehue Gordon dived for the line at Hampden Park, here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday. The result was silver, the Trinidad and Tobago track star producing his fastest time this season—48.75 seconds—to earn precious metal at his first Commonwealth Games.

“I was definitely feeling somebody fast approaching,” Gordon told the Express, “and I just wanted to make sure I had it covered. I started to feel some lactic (acid) over the last ten metres, so I just pushed my whole body. Forget head, my whole body went.”

A fast-finishing Jeffery Gibson was the man challenging Gordon for the runner-up spot in the championship race. Gibson, though, had to settle for bronze, the Bahamian getting to the line in a national record time of 48.78.

After clearing the 10th and last hurdle, Gordon closed in on the leader, Cornel Fredericks. The South African, however, had done the required work earlier in the race, and stayed in front at the end for an impressive victory in 48.50 seconds.

At the 2013 Worlds in Moscow, Russia, Gordon’s lunge for the line had earned him the title, the “push yuh head” advice of his mother, Marcella Woods bearing golden fruit. In Glasgow, the fruit was silver. But it came at a price, Gordon hurting his hip when he tumbled to the track.

“At this time I’m in a little pain. Hopefully it’s nothing serious.”

Going into the final, Gordon had not dived under 49 seconds in 2014. But the reigning world champion usually comes good at major championships, and yesterday was no different.

“Thanks to Jehovah God. It’s been a rough season, and at the end of the day I produced when I needed to. Another medal for Trinidad and Tobago, another medal to the tally, and hopefully the team will continue collecting more medals.”

To date, the T&T medal haul is four--silver for Gordon and shot putter Cleopatra Borel, and bronze for triple jumper Ayanna Alexander and quartermiler Lalonde Gordon. The country is also assured of at least bronze from lightweight boxer Michael Alexander, who squares off against Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzpatrick in a semifinal bout today.

Gordon dismissed the notion that Team T&T has been underperforming at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

“Everybody has their own expectations. We as the athletes and the team working with the athletes are inside the inner circle, so we would know more than the people who are outside. They would quicker say, based on ‘he say’ and ‘she say’ and hearsay, but we know what we’re working with, the challenges we are faced with, and at the end of the day we could just give it our best.”

Gordon has had his share of challenges this season. In addition to exams at University of the West Indies (UWI), Gordon was troubled by a leg injury that prevented him from being aggressive over the hurdles.

“Certain things kind of hampered me from training, and we sorted it out. I had some good physiotherapy for the minor injury I had behind my biceps femoris.”

Gordon also praised his coach, Dr Ian Hypolite, the T&T chef de mission here in Glasgow, “for analysing what we needed to work on”.

The 22-year-old athlete said that though he places greater value on his World Championship gold medal, Commonwealth Games silver is a welcome addition to his résumé.

“It’s still a major competition, and everyone wanted to prove themselves.”

With his 48.75 run at Hampden Park, Gordon proved once again to be a championship one-lap hurdler who produces the goods when it matters most.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:34:25 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NAAA hails medal-winners
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
NAAA hails medal-winners
Story Created: Jul 31, 2014 at 11:58 PM ECT (T&T Express)

The National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) yesterday congratulated athletes Ayana Alexander, Lalonde Gordon, Cleopatra Borel and Jehue Gordon on their medal-winning performances at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland.

And NAAA press release yesterday noted that prior to the games, only 12 other athletes had won two or more medals at Commonwealth level but that, “Ayana’s bronze medal leap placed her amongst this elite group of athletes, having secured a silver medal in Delhi, India (2010).

Lalonde Gordon produced his season’s best time of 44.78 to secure the bronze as he continues to show the world that he is a force to be reckoned with. Cleopatra now has three Commonwealth medals to her name, having won bronze in Melbourne, Australia (2006), silver in Delhi, India (2010), and now silver in Glasgow. She has been a consistent performer over the years and dedicated to her training and her skills.”

Of Jehue Gordon, the release said: “After a rough season of up’s and down’s, Jehue ran his heart out giving 100 per cent and achieved his season’s best time of 48.75 which was good enough for silver.”

The release ended by stating that, “once again track and field has shown its prowess on the world stage, having so far secured four medals at these Commonwealth Games, two silver and two bronze. NAAA wishes the best of luck to the rest of the track and field contingent for the duration of the games as they continue their quest for more precious metal.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lucas in 100 hurdles final
« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
Lucas in 100 hurdles final
By Kwame Laurence in Glasgow
Story Created: Jul 31, 2014 at 11:48 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Josanne Lucas will face the starter in lane eight in today’s Commonwealth Games women’s 100 metres hurdles final.

The Trinidad and Tobago athlete finished strong in yesterday’s second qualifying heat, at Hampden Park, here in Glasgow, Scotland to snatch the runner-up spot and an automatic berth in the championship race. In a tight finish, Lucas and third-placed Serita Solomon, of England, were credited with the same time, 13.38 seconds. Lucas, though, had the edge in the photo finish, and she was very grateful, for the clocking could not earn Solomon a “fastest loser” lane in the final.

The other T&T athlete in the event, Deborah John was fifth in heat three in 13.63 seconds, and did not progress.

Rondel Sorrillo missed out on a lane in the men’s 200m final by three-hundredths of a second.

Running in lane one, the T&T sprinter clocked 20.57 seconds to finish third in the second semifinal heat. With only the top two finishers in each semi guaranteed a championship race berth, Sorrillo’s only hope of advancing was to be one of the two “fastest losers”. He came up short, and had to settle for ninth spot overall.

Kyle Greaux was also drawn in lane one, and like his T&T teammate, found the going tough. He got to the line in 20.93 seconds to finish seventh in heat three and 19th overall.

In the final, Jamaica swept the medals. Rasheed Dwyer clocked 20.14 for gold, finishing ahead of Warren Weir (20.26) and Jason Livermore (20.32).

In the second women’s 200m semifinal, T&T’s Reyare Thomas gave a big effort, battling tenaciously on the straight to grab third spot in 23.35 seconds. The clocking, though, was not fast enough to earn her a lane in the final as a “fastest loser”.

In the championship race, Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare won in 22.25 seconds to complete the women’s sprint double. England’s Jodie Williams (22.50) and Bianca Williams (22.58) earned silver and bronze, respectively.

Annie Alexander finished 15th in the women’s discus qualifying competition with a 47.73 metres effort. The top 12 throwers progressed to the final. In Wednesday’s shot put event, Alexander fouled her three attempts. Her T&T teammate, Cleopatra Borel was the bronze medallist with an 18.57m throw.

T&T finished 10th in the netball competition, here in Glasgow. In yesterday’s ninth-place playoff, at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), T&T were beaten by Scotland. The hosts led by 12 goals at the halftime interval, and by the end of the game had extended the 24-12 scoreline to 46-28. For T&T, veteran goal shoot Janelle Barker had a perfect shooting record—11 goals from 11 attempts.

At Scotstoun Campus, France-based table tennis player Dexter St Louis lost in the round of 32 in the men’s singles, going under 11-5, 11-5, 11-3, 11-9 to second-seeded Zhan Jian, the world number 34. The Singaporean completed victory in 25 minutes.

In his first round match, St Louis battled from behind to stop Northern Ireland’s Peter Graham 11-8, 10-12, 8-11, 11-5, 11-8, 11-9. Trailing 1-2 in games, St Louis dug deep, and though he was not allowed to dominate his determined opponent, the five-time Caribbean champion was just too good, winning the next three games to set up the clash with Zhan Jian.

Curtis Humphreys was competitive at times in his men’s singles first round duel with Stephen Jenkins. The Welshman, however, was in control for the most part, beating T&T’s top-ranked home-based player 11-3, 11-7, 9-11, 11-3, 11-9.

St Louis and Humphreys went toe to toe with the second-seeded Singapore combination of Zhan Jian and Yang Zi in the opening game of their men’s doubles round of 16 fixture. The going was tougher thereafter, the Asians winning 12-10, 11-7, 11-5 to progress to the quarterfinal round. 

T&T’s Aleena Edwards and Catherine Spicer beat Botswana pair Boitshwarelo Butale and Tshepiso Rebatenne at 7, 4 and 5 in their women’s doubles first round contest. But Edwards and Spicer exited at the next stage, losing to India’s Ankita Das and Poulomi Ghatak at 7, 3 and 4.

Rheann Chung and Ashley Quashie were also eliminated in the second round, but gave a spirited performance before going under 11-9, 11-9, 11-8 to Australians Zhenhua Dederko and Zhang Ziyu.

T&T squash players were also on show at Scotstoun Campus.

In a mixed doubles pool “F” contest, David Evans and Deon Saffery of Wales stopped Colin Ramasra and Kerrie Sample 11-1, 11-6. Ramasra and Sample finished with a 1-2 win-loss record, and did not advance to the knockout phase.

Kale Wilson and Charlotte Knaggs finished without a win in pool “D” of the mixed doubles, and were also eliminated. The T&T players were beaten yesterday by Peter Creed and Tesni Evans, the Welsh pair cruising home 11-2, 11-5.

And T&T finished 10th and last in the women’s hockey tournament. In the playoff for ninth spot, at the National Hockey Centre, yesterday, T&T succumbed 4-0 to Wales.

Team T&T Today
(All TT times)

1.00 p.m. – Hockey, Men vs Wales
After 1.30 p.m. – Boxing, Michael Alexander, men’s lightweight semifinal
1.40 p.m. – Athletics, women’s 4x400 qualifying
2.10 p.m. – Athletics, men’s 4x400 qualifying
4.10 p.m. – Athletics, women’s 4x100 qualifying
4.43 p.m. – Athletics, men’s 4x100 qualifying
4.40 p.m. – Athletics, Keshorn Walcott, men’s javelin qualifying
5.10 p.m. – Athletics, Josanne Lucas, women’s 100 hurdles final

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Also last time I heard Cedenio was in T&T chilling and recovering from winning his World Junior 400m title.
I suspect what you heard is simply a rumour unless Cedenio is now in Glasgow and has already overcome his jetlag and the time zone difference.
Plus I doubt that the CWG organizers will allow someone who was not listed on the T&T squad list to take part in the Games at this stage as there is a deadline before the Games starts for submitting names so that the organizers can allocate all athletes taking part their registration numbers.

I'm with you on this one........got it from a guardian reporter we'll see.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well done to Joanne Lucas for making the 100MH final.  Shows she's is in form and would have also made the final of the 400m H had she not false started.  Where has she been the past 3 years?

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I'm with you on this one........got it from a guardian reporter we'll see.

Relay team for qualifying round:The order for T&T 's 4x400m men in the heats will be Lalonde Gordon - Jarrin Solomon-Jehue Gordon- Zwede Hewitt.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
OK, so WDA going on, Lendore can't run 2 races? Is he hurt?
Didn't Jehue say he fell on his hip at the end of his race, rendering it sore?
What is Quow's status?
These fellas rolling the dice unnecessarily with Kenya and Nigeria in the mix for an automatic top 2, lawd.....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:20:58 PM by STMB »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ok T&T 4x400 lets go! Take care of business in your heat

1]; } ?>