April 25, 2024, 04:55:06 PM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49746 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
GOLDEN REGRET ...But eight-medal haul quite good, says Hypolite
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
GOLDEN REGRET
...But eight-medal haul quite good, says Hypolite

By Kwame Laurence in Glasgow
Story Created: Aug 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM ECT (T&T Express)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q4FN5aWnz8M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q4FN5aWnz8M</a>

Trinidad and Tobago’s haul of eight medals here in Glasgow, Scotland has only been bettered by one Commonwealth Games team in the country’s history—the 1966 outfit that left Kingston, Jamaica with nine medals, five of them gold.

Chef de mission of the 2014 team, Dr Ian Hypolite told the Express he expects the Glasgow experience to hold T&T in good stead on the Road to Rio 2016. “My expectation is that we would have benefitted immensely. It was a natural stepping stone for many teams.

“Before the Rio Olympics, we have the 2014 CAC (Central American and Caribbean) Games in Vera Cruz, Mexico, Pan Am Games 2015 in Toronto, the Beijing 2015 IAAF World Championships for track and field--clear stepping stones to Rio. The Commonwealth experience will do us well as we progress along the way.”

T&T ended the Games with three silver medals and five bronze. Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott, 400 metres hurdles world champion Jehue Gordon and shot putter Cleopatra Borel were the silver medallists. Bronze went to triple jumper Ayanna Alexander, quartermiler Lalonde Gordon, lightweight boxer Michael Alexander, and the men’s 4x100m and 4x400m relay teams.

Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Richard “Torpedo” Thompson combined for the sprint relay medal. And in the 4x400m final, Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow and Zwede Hewitt wore T&T colours. Quow sat out the qualifying round, and third leg duties were performed by Jehue Gordon.

Hypolite, an executive member of the T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC), described the eight-medal haul as “quite a good performance”.

“Overall, everyone was expecting a bit more,” the leader of the T&T delegation continued. “I was too, even though it was never verbalised. But people need to appreciate we are dealing with a very high level of competition. Therefore, eight medals is good. I expected some of them to be gold, and that’s my only regret.”

Hypolite is Jehue Gordon’s personal coach, and said that his 22-year-old charge was one of the athletes with the potential to strike Commonwealth Games gold here in Glasgow.

“Unfortunately, (sprinter) Michelle-Lee Ahye had to withdraw with injury. Richard Thompson’s chances were also particularly good, and Jehue and Keshorn as well as the men’s relays. But as I said, the competition was always going to be tough, so it’s no shame coming out with a medal nonetheless. Even Kenya’s (800 metres) world record holder and Olympic champion David Rudisha had to settle for silver.

“We had a great performance,” Hypolite declared, “and athletes enjoyed and reveled in their performances.”

Seven of the eight medals bagged by Team T&T went to track and field athletes.

“I want to view us as going through a growing process. Track and field has a pathway that allows it to perform well at this stage. Some of the other sports do not yet have that pathway of exposure to a high level of competition regularly. Track and field has it from the junior level, and you can proceed as a senior all the way to the world level. A lot of other sports need to find a pathway.”

The team sports found the going particularly tough here in Glasgow, T&T finishing low down in rugby 7s, netball and men’s and women’s hockey. Hypolite made the point, however, that the Commonwealth Games is a virtual world championship in these sports, citing rugby 7s as an example.

“Rugby Sevens is going to happen in Rio, and this is essentially the Olympic level here. The top countries are from the Commonwealth.

“In some of the team sports,” he continued, “there are opportunities to graduate to another level through the collegiate system and clubs in the English leagues. They need exposure to higher levels than we have in the region, and exposure also influences approach to fitness--a very important component.

“We need to get a lot fitter to compete at international level. At the TTOC we emphasise beep testing, which is not popular with every sport,” Hypolite ended. “But they need to understand the importance of fitness.”
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:07:55 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

“Unfortunately, (sprinter) Michelle-Lee Ahye had to withdraw with injury. Richard Thompson’s chances were also particularly good, and Jehue and Keshorn as well as the men’s relays. But as I said, the competition was always going to be tough, so it’s no shame coming out with a medal nonetheless. Even Kenya’s (800 metres) world record holder and Olympic champion David Rudisha had to settle for silver.

“We had a great performance,” Hypolite declared,
“and athletes enjoyed and reveled in their performances.”

We did NOT have a great performance. If this is what our authorities are measuring as great I feel sorry for them. Given the talent of the entire team our performance cannot be one with a grade A so how is it a great performance? The acceptance of mediocracy in T&T when it comes to sports is displayed from the sports administration to the sports media all the way down to the ordinary fans who are fed by this information
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:56:49 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RIGHT TRACK: T&T 22nd on final medals table
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
RIGHT TRACK
T&T 22nd on final medals table

By Kwame Laurence in Glasgow
Story Created: Aug 3, 2014 at 11:51 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson believes the showing of Trinidad and Tobago’s track and field team at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, here in Glasgow, Scotland, is an indication that the country is progressing well in the build-up to the 2016 Olympic Games, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

“We’re on the right track,” Thompson told the Express. “We’re definitely improving, not just on the track but in the field as well. I still feel as though the team could have done a little better, but we’re grateful for where we’re at right now, and we’re showing signs of improvement every year representing Trinidad and Tobago on the world stage.

“We’re on the right path. We just have to continue to work and work hard, and hopefully by Rio we’ll be able to produce nine medals at the Olympic Games, which is a step up from Commonwealth.”

In Glasgow, seven of T&T’s eight medals were captured by track and field athletes. The country’s very last podium finish at the Games came on Saturday night, from the men’s 4x100m combination of Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Thompson.

Bledman and Thompson exited the individual 100m event at the semifinal stage, while Sorrillo suffered the same fate in the 200m.

“Especially after a disappointment in the individual event, with Bledman and myself not making the final—that was really gut-wrenching—we are thankful for that (relay) medal. We’re also thankful to be able to come out healthy. It was cold, it was raining, and those are conditions where people easily get injured, so we just give thanks.”

Thompson went into the 2014 Commonwealth Games as the men’s 100m favourite, following his victory at the T&T Championships in a national record time of 9.82 seconds—a clocking that placed him ninth on the all-time world performance list.

The 2008 Olympic 100m silver medallist said that falling short of expectations here in Glasgow will make him a better athlete.

“Every time you fail you have to use it as a learning experience. If you don’t take anything from a failed experience, then you’re not coming off any wiser. I’ve definitely learned from this experience, and I just have to go into next year learning from the mistakes that I made this year.

“After my Senior Championships, I felt as though there were a few things I could have done differently in between then and now. I know what to do, my coach (Dennis Shaver) knows what to do, and we’ll get it right in the years to come.”

Running in lane one in his 200m semi-final heat, Sorrillo finished third in 20.57 seconds—too slow for a “fastest loser” berth in the final. The T&T sprinter had taken the “faster loser” route to the semis after finishing third in his opening round heat, the “back door” qualification resulting in his bad lane draw in the penultimate round of the event.

“In the first round it was cold,” Sorrillo told the Express. “I tried to come off the turn as hard as possible, but then my hamstring started getting tight on the left side. I really wanted to run in the other round so I had to try and save..hope that I didn’t exert too much and pull up. That’s the reason that I looked like I shut off in the first round, but it’s just the coldness I was getting accustomed to.”

Burns has been part of the T&T men’s sprint relay set-up since 2000, when he represented T&T at the Sydney Olympics as a 17-year-old. He’s 31 now, and plans to continue doing yeoman service for the country for at least another three years.

A Commonwealth Games 100m bronze medallist at the 2006 Melbourne Games, Burns told the Express he is also keen to challenge for selection on T&T teams in the individual sprint events in the years ahead.

“I’m now finding my form after all these years of injuries. Most people don’t know that’s what kept me out over the years. But it’s track and field and that comes with it, so you just have to put that behind you and try to perform at a high level.

“All the tweaks have been fixed with my foot injuries. I thank all those who helped me get back to where I need to be, and I look forward to some big years.”

Burns is a true patriot. In recognition of his selfless commitment to T&T sport, he was given the honour of carrying the Red, White and Black at the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. Swimmer George Bovell was the flag-bearer at the London Games closing ceremony.

At the opening ceremony here in Glasgow, Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott performed flag-bearing duties.

And for last night’s closing ceremony, three-time Commonwealth Games women’s shot put medallist Cleopatra Borel did the honours, carrying the T&T flag with pride.

Both Borel and Walcott earned silver at Glasgow 2014 as Team T&T finished with eight medals in total—three silver and five bronze.

“Any time we come to a major championship,” said Burns, “we try to fly the T&T flag high and give our best at all times. A medal count of that number we’re most grateful for.”

T&T finished 22nd out of 71 countries at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. England emerged as the top team with 58 gold medals, 59 silver and 57 bronze.

Gold Coast, Australia will host the 2018 Games.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:49:53 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Making sense of the numbers
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »
By Fazeer Mohammed
Story Created: Aug 3, 2014 at 11:57 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Did we overachieve or underachieve in Glasgow?

A tally of eight medals (three silvers and five bronzes) and 22nd position in the final standings represent the bare facts of Trinidad and Tobago’s presence at the 20th Commonwealth Games. As with almost anything else though, those numbers have to be placed in context.

That medal haul is just one short of the nine brought home by the squad that competed at the 1966 Games in Kingston. However, the performances then were certainly much more praiseworthy as there were five gold medals (two by cyclist Roger Gibbon and one each by weightlifter Hugo Gittens, quarter-miler Wendell Mottley and the mile relay quartet of Edwin Roberts, Kent Bernard, Lennox Yearwood and Mottley) along with two silvers and two bronzes to be celebrated by a nation in only its fifth year of independence.

Incidentally, hosts Jamaica, who were just a few days ahead of T&T in declaring their independence in 1962, did not have a single gold medal moment to enjoy, although their competitors claimed four silver and eight bronze medals. They had to settle for 16th spot in the final standings while their arch-rivals at the other end of the Caribbean chain shared fifth place with Ghana.

Of course it was very different in Glasgow with the Jamaicans underlining their status as the pre-eminent nation in sprint events with an overall tally of 22 medals, including ten gold, four silver and eight bronze. They were by far the top Caribbean nation in a table headed by England who have made the short journey across the border with 174 medals (58 gold, 59 silver, 57 bronze) in their possession.
Let’s look at the numbers from another angle – per capita.

We know it’s not accurate but let’s go with the official Trinidad and Tobago population of 1.3 million and acknowledge that eight medals for such a small country is very good indeed. Yet, as was just mentioned, Jamaica are coming back with 22 and their population is 2.7 million.

Hosts Scotland, a nation of 5.3 million people, racked up 53 medals, including 19 golds. New Zealand, population 4.4 million, are on their way back to the South Pacific with 14 gold medals in their tally of 45.

So on a medal-to-population basis, we aren’t the phenomenal overachievers that we may like to think we are.

Comparing this effort with what transpired in Delhi at the last edition of the Commonwealth Games in 2010, Trinidad and Tobago obviously fared better four years later as the contingent returned from India with six medals (four silvers and two bronzes).

One consistent element though across all editions of the Commonwealth, Olympics and other multi-sport events is the dominance of track and field athletics in bringing success to the twin-island state. Other sports – notably cycling, swimming, weightlifting, shooting and boxing - have churned out the occasional outstanding representative, but it’s invariably at the athletics venue where the red, white and black has had its greatest successes.

Here we’re seeing a shift as well. We remain a force to reckon with in the sprints in both male and female competition, although the disappointing returns in the men’s 100 metres especially, when there was no Trinidad and Tobago representative in the final despite the pre-Games form of Richard Thompson and Keston Bledman especially, was more than a little puzzling.

But it’s in the field events where the country is going from strength to strength. Keshorn Walcott in the javelin and shot putter Cleopatra Borel accounted for two of the three silvers in Scotland. Jehue Gordon, whose success in the 400-metre hurdles will surely inspire more than a few to take up the challenging discipline, claimed the other.

In the cases of Walcott and Gordon, the reigning Olympic and world champions respectively, gold medals would have been in their sights at Hampden Park. However in such elite-level competition, we should have come to the realisation by now that all it takes is a minimal deviation from the highest standard for the top prize to be left dangling tantalisingly out of reach.

Someone was asking on Friday afternoon if Walcott’s national record throw of 85.28 metres in qualifying would have been carried forward as the mark to beat in Saturday’s final. Clearly on the basis of that effort he had the form to take gold 24 hours later. But that’s what makes these events such a test of temperament as well as skill.

As in London two years ago, when our boy from Toco was the unsung and unheralded man of the moment, Kenya’s Julius Yego stepped up to take the Commonwealth crown.

It goes without saying that you can’t win them all. Still, it’s important after events like these to get a better understanding of what the final numbers mean.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:00:08 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Commonwealth Games special because they’re unique
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:18 PM »
Commonwealth Games special because they’re unique
Published: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 (T&T Express)

What started under perfect blue skies ended, more appropriately for a city nicknamed Rain Town, with torrential storms.

The 11 Glaswegian days in between were similarly in character—sometimes noisy, sometimes controversial, but seldom dull.

Commonwealth Games often begin as apologetic events. There is as much talk about what they’re not—principally the Olympics, but also uniformly world class, or the most important event in that year’s sporting calendar—than what they could be.

For them to feel successful they need three things: big names, big performances and big crowds.

Glasgow had all three. In doing so it confirmed something else about the Commonwealth Games: that what makes them special is precisely the fact they aren’t like anything else.

So it was that the most memorable performances came as much from unknowns as the superstars. For every gold medal won by Olympic champions such as Kirani James, Alistair Brownlee and Anna Meares, new names emerged who could only have been brought forth by a Commonwealths.

There was 16-year-old gymnast Claudia Fragapane—4ft 5in, hoping merely to make a few finals, leaving as the first Englishwoman to win four gold medals at a single Games in 84 years.

There was Ross Murdoch, overshadowed by poster-boy favourite Michael Jamieson before their 200m breaststroke final, a new Scottish hero after it, having not only snatched gold but done so by improving his personal best over the day by six seconds.

No wonder he swore afterwards. And there was rhythmic gymnast Frankie Jones, almost singlehandedly dispelling the pre-Games gloom about Wales’ medal prospects by winning five of them on her own and another as part of the team, which won silver.

There were also great contests. South Africa handed New Zealand their first defeat in Commonwealth rugby sevens.

Australia’s women stole hockey gold from England by equalising in the last ten seconds and then polishing them off on penalties. A far smaller distance separated gold and silver in the men’s 10,000m won by Moses Kipsiro than in the 100m strolled by Kemar Bailey-Cole.

The loudest noise of the Games came when Hampden Park roared Lynsey Sharp to 800m silver after she had spent the previous night in the clinic in the athletes’ village, drip in arm and vomit in mouth.

A day later, England’s Jo Pavey fought her way to 5,000m bronze less than ten months after giving birth to her second child. In a month’s time she will turn 41.

A Commonwealths can sometimes feel like the FA Cup to the Champions League that is the Olympics—bolstered by its long history as much as its future, defined by the quirky and the outsider, weakened by big boys putting out weaker teams.

Kenya’s Vincent Onyangi had never swum in open water before diving into Strathclyde Loch for the triathlon. Twenty minutes later he was bobbing around doing breaststroke while the leaders were onto their bikes.

It also had its tear-jerkers: Scotland’s Euan Burton coming out of retirement to fight his way to judo gold, two years and two weight categories on from losing in his first bout at London 2012; Jazz Carlin becoming Wales’ first female swimming gold medallist in 40 years, having missed the Olympics through illness; 13-year-old Shetland islander Erraid Davies, trained in a 16m pool, winning SB9 100m breaststroke bronze and celebrating with the best smile of the fortnight.

Her fellow teen, Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha, provided one of the darker moments when a failed drugs test led to her being stripped of her 58kg title. Former 400m world champion Amantle Montsho was another thrown out of the Games for doping. Welsh team captain Rhys Williams failed to even make it to Scotland after news of his own positive test at the Glasgow Grand Prix on July 11.

Glasgow 2014 facts

Almost 3.5 million people passed through the city’s Central Station

More than 50,000 cuddly Clyde Mascots were sold

1.2 million tickets were sold

An estimated 100 tonnes of fruit and vegetables were consumed

171,000 people attended the Rugby Sevens—a record for the sport
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:14:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Commonwealth Games 2014 (Glassgow) Medal Table
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014/medals/countries

Medal Table
#    Country    G   S   B   Total

1    England   58    59    57    174    
2    Australia    49    42    46    137    
3    Canada    32    16    34    82    
4    Scotland    19    15    19    53    
5    India    15    30    19    64    
6    New Zealand    14    14    17    45    
7    South Africa    13    10    17    40    
8    Nigeria    11    11    14    36    
9    Kenya    10    10    5    25    
10    Jamaica   10    4    8    22    
11    Singapore    8    5    4    17    
12    Malaysia    6    7    6    19    
13    Wales    5    11    20    36    
14    Cyprus    2    4    2    8    
15    Northern Ireland   2    3    7    12    
16    Papua New Guinea   2    0    0    2    
17    Cameroon   1    3    3    7    
18    Uganda   1    0    4    5    
19    Grenada   1    0    1    2    
20    Botswana   1    0    0    1    
20    Kiribati   1    0    0    1    
22    Trinidad and Tobago   0    3    5    8    
23    Pakistan   0    3    1    4    
24    Bahamas   0    2    1    3    
24    Samoa   0    2    1    3    
26    Namibia   0    1    2    3    
27    Mauritius   0    1    1    2    
27    Mozambique   0    1    1    2    
29    Bangladesh   0    1    0    1    
29    Isle of Man   0    1    0    1    
29    Nauru   0    1    0    1    
29    Sri Lanka   0    1    0    1    
33    Ghana   0    0    2    2    
33    Zambia   0    0    2    2    
35    Barbados   0    0    1    1    
35    Fiji   0    0    1    1    
35    St Lucia   0    0    1    1    

Last Updated 03 Aug 2014 17:26 UK
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:12:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr. Reliable Marc Burns (TTO) collected his 14th international medal after running the second leg on TTO's bronze medal men's 4x100m team. Burns has three World Outdoor silver medals, three World Juniors (0,1, 2), two Olympic silver, two Commonwealth bronze and one World Cup bronze. He also has a Pan American Games silver and two Pan American Junior medals(1, 0, 1) #WorldCommonwealthGames2014

The great Usain Bolt (JAM) collected his 17th international crown when he anchored Jamaica to Commonwealth victory in the men's 4x100m. Bolt has eight World Outdoor gold medals, six Olympic titles, one World Junior and Youth victories each. He also has two World Outdoor and World Junior silver medals.
Dr. Bolt's total international medal haul, SO FAR, is 21 and counting #WorldCommonwealthGames2014
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:17:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt talks records again after Glasgow
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
Bolt talks records again
Story Created: Aug 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM ECT (T&T Express)

Jamaican sprint king Usain Bolt says he wants to concentrate on smashing the 19-second barrier for the 200 metres following his cameo appearance in the Commonwealth Games.

The 27-year-old Bolt, double Olympic champion in 100m and 200m and a five-times world individual champion, wants to take his 200m world record below 19 seconds.

“I’ve said I want to run sub 19 for 200m - that’s one of my biggest goals and my biggest dreams,” the 27-year-old Bolt, who helped Jamaica to the 4x100m relay title in Glasgow, told the BBC. “I think I’ve done enough in the 100.

“I know people want to see me run fast in the 100 but I love my 200 and I want to do something special for myself. So for me, my main aim is the 200.”

Bolt, the 100m world record holder, set the 200m record of 19.19 five years ago in Berlin.

“The world record can keep going down. You never know who’s going to show up next and dominate,” he added.

“I’ve said I want to run sub 19. That’s one of my biggest goals and my biggest dreams, so I’m definitely going to be training hard and seeing what I can do.”
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:42:05 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
By Fazeer Mohammed
Story Created: Aug 3, 2014 at 11:57 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Did we overachieve or underachieve in Glasgow?

A tally of eight medals (three silvers and five bronzes) and 22nd position in the final standings represent the bare facts of Trinidad and Tobago’s presence at the 20th Commonwealth Games. As with almost anything else though, those numbers have to be placed in context.

That medal haul is just one short of the nine brought home by the squad that competed at the 1966 Games in Kingston. However, the performances then were certainly much more praiseworthy as there were five gold medals (two by cyclist Roger Gibbon and one each by weightlifter Hugo Gittens, quarter-miler Wendell Mottley and the mile relay quartet of Edwin Roberts, Kent Bernard, Lennox Yearwood and Mottley) along with two silvers and two bronzes to be celebrated by a nation in only its fifth year of independence.[

Incidentally, hosts Jamaica, who were just a few days ahead of T&T in declaring their independence in 1962, did not have a single gold medal moment to enjoy, although their competitors claimed four silver and eight bronze medals. They had to settle for 16th spot in the final standings while their arch-rivals at the other end of the Caribbean chain shared fifth place with Ghana.

:-\ So what happened in the last 48 years? Or are we just going to convince ourselves since the competition today is more competitive than back then we have not regressed smh
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:37:22 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis praises Commonwealth contingent
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Lewis praises Commonwealth contingent
By Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)
Story Created: Aug 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis was full of praise for the T&T athletes as they returned home following a good showing at the recently concluded Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, but at the same time he told them that they needed to raise the bar higher.

Lewis, speaking at a welcome reception for the athletes at the Piarco International Airport VIP Lounge yesterday, told the contingent “As much as we all may feel we have done our very best, we can do better.”

“As we pay recognition on the medallists it is always tempting to look down at who have not achieved but it is imperative as we focus on Rio 2016, the CAC games in Vera Cruz in November, the Youth Olympic Games and the Pan Am Games in Toronto next year, that we recognise that Glasgow 2014 is now history,” said Lewis.

“We need to take on board the lessons, the disappointments, the successes, and all work together to ensure our athletes build from this experience,” he added. T&T won eight medals at the games and among those who returned home yesterday was men’s javelin silver medallist Keshorn Walcott and boxing bronze medallist Michael Alexander.

Walcott said he is looking for more personal best as he tries to improve on his performances. “Each medal for me is a great achievement but winning my second medal internationally as a senior athlete and getting a personal best, I think that was the best aspect of the games for me,” Walcott told the media.

“I know the winner from Kenya, I know him from before, from Olympics, from Worlds so I knew he was my major competition and I did not underestimate him for anything, but I guess the better guy won on the day,” he added.

Looking ahead the Olympic gold medallist said: “I am just working toward betterment. Each and every time I just want to improve and hopefully in the near future I will have more personal bests. I had a lot of problems, I had a lot of injuries, so I am just trying to get back to where I want to be. My season is not over yet,” Walcott added.

Alexander also dreams of Olympic gold and is also motivated to improve after surprising himself in Glasgow on his way to securing bronze in his appearance at an international games. “It feels great knowing it was (my) first major competition and I came out with a medal. Seeing the other styles of boxing of other countries,” he said of the experience, before thanking his coaches for helping him along the way.

“If it was not for the coaches I would not have been so successful, so I would like to thank Mr Reynold Cox and Mr Floyd Trumpet,” said the southpaw. New Minister of Sport Rupert Griffith was also on hand to welcome home the athletes and noted that he will have to talk to the prime minister to see if she has any specific plans to honour the athletes.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:16:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MORE PADDING THAN SUBSTANCE
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
MORE PADDING THAN SUBSTANCE
By Garth Wattley garth.wattley@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM ECT  (T&T Express)

Not unexpectedly, the public statements of officials connected to Trinidad and Tobago’s Commonwealth Games effort has accentuated the positive.

The National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) wasted little time in hailing the athletes who earned medals in Glasgow—Keshorn Walcott, Ayanna Alexander, Cleopatra Borel, Jehue Gordon, Lalonde Gordon  and the men’s 4x100 and 4x400 metres relay teams. That was quite within their rights and appropriate.

Track and field yet again was the principal medal-bearer for these islands at a major multi-sport games. Only boxer Michael Alexander with his lightweight division bronze medal contributed hardware from the other disciplines. But it just seems that in the public assessments so far of T&T’s Commonwealth Games showing, too much focus has been on what track and field did or did not do.

A bigger, more important concern should be those six other disciplines from which no medals came. In most of those cases, the T&T teams also struggled to even be competitive.

At the Central American and Pan American level, the national hockey teams have performed creditably over the years, winning medals here and there, but both the men and women struggled in Scotland. Badly.

The T&T women managed just one goal in their four Pool matches, but conceded 48. The individual results make no less painful reading: 16-0 against South Africa, 14-0 v New Zealand, 14-0 against India and a “respectable” 4-2 defeat against Malaysia.

After the second beating, the 14-0 drubbing against New Zealand, coach Albert Marcano told reporter Kwame Laurence that his team had gone into that game with a plan, “not to concede more than we conceded the first time. They achieved that goal today, so it was a plus for them”.

A plus? To lose “only” 14-0? I shook my head when I read that. It seemed a clutching at straws. But clearly the T&T women were out of their depth in this level of competition which pitted them against some of the strongest teams in the hockey world.

The men’s team did not lose in double digits, and to their credit came away with a 4-2 victory over Malaysia. But they also had difficult days, losing 6-1 to England, 8-0 to New Zealand and 3-1 to Canada.

In Rugby Sevens, the T&T men lost all three of their matches against the Cook Islands, Kenya and Canada in the Pool stage but managed a win over Malaysia in a consolation Shield game, before losing heavily to Sri Lanka in their final match.

Meanwhile, the netballers went into the Commonwealth competition as the tenth ranked team and left it, having kept their status. At least no ground was lost. But for a team that was once the best in the world and among the top five in the Commonwealth, winning one match out of six cannot be satisfactory.

I therefore read with interest the newspaper comments yesterday of Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee president Brian Lewis on the Commonwealth effort. He sought to focus attention on what the Glasgow effort should mean for the athletes moving forward to the Rio Olympics in 2016.

Essentially, the TTOC president encouraged the sporting fraternity to use the good and the bad from Glasgow to gauge what needs to be done for the next Olympics.

There was also a plea for equitable treatment for athletes across all sports when it came to the distribution of Elite funding. Implied, was the suggestion that some national competitors have not yet got funding for the year.

This is an area that ought to demand the attention of the new Minister of Sport, Dr Rupert Griffith. As has become more clear in recent weeks, all is not right in the ministry. As such, paying outstanding money to athletes may not be so high on the minister’s list of priorities.

But even taking into consideration the relevance of the comments by the TTOC boss, and the issues of funding that all sporting associations face, those bodies also have to look themselves in the mirror.

Some of those results in Glasgow did not justify the presence of national teams there; specifically the manner of the defeats. If regional Games provide the opportunity to test where countries are in relation to the highest levels of competition in their respective sports, then T&T are not measuring up, and local sporting bodies have to look not only at how they prepare teams but at how effectively they are running their competitions and training their players, from youth level upwards.

Otherwise, these T&T games contingents will continue to be more padding than substance.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Back to the drawing board for T&T sports
« Reply #311 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:12 AM »
Commonwealth Games 2014
Back to the drawing board for T&T sports
Published: Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Rachael Thomspon-King (T&T Guardian)

Keshorn Walcott secured the silver medal with a throw of 82.67 metres in the men’s javelin event. He improved to 82.67 but was still short of the gold medal throw of 83.87. He qualified for the finals with his first throw of 85.28 metres, a new national record.

Tired bodies but even tougher minds departed from Glasgow, Scotland, over the past two days, as T&T athletes bid farewell to the Commonwealth Games which closed on Sunday with a gala ceremony. After 12 days of intense competition T&T emerged with eight medals—three silver and five bronze—to improve T&T’s overall medal count at the event to 52 (eight gold, 20 silver, 24 bronze).

T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis, is encouraged by the effort of all the athletes and applauded their successes. “I am proud of our medallists and those, who made the finals and did their season’s best,” said Lewis in his first major competition as the head of the TTOC. “It augurs well for Pan Am in Toronto next year and Rio Olympics (2016),” he said.

It was slow start to the 20th edition of the event but Ayanna Alexander sparked some life into the T&T camp on the seventh day, by winning this country’s first medal, a bronze in the women’s triple jump event, leaping to a distance of 14.01 metres at Hampden Park Stadium.

A day later, it was Cleopatra Borel and Lalonde Gordon making it three for T&T as the duo went on to nab a silver and bronze, respectively. Borel’s toss of 18.57m earned her a third Commonwealth medal, bagging bronze at the 2006 Melbourne Games and a silver at the Delhi Games in 2010.

Gordon’s battle-to-the-end attitude saw him cross third in the men’s 400m. It was the first of two bronze medals he secured, leading the 4x400m team that also included Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow and Zwede Hewitt, two days later. Jehue Gordon ran a season’s best 48.75 to win a silver medal in the 400m hurdles final, which made it four for T&T last Tuesday.

On Saturday, the final day of track and field, the expectations were high for T&T to make it unto the podium. Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott and both the 4x100 relay team of Richard Thompson, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Keston Bledman and the 4x400m did just that.

Walcott, only the previous day, had broken his own national record throwing 85.28 in the opening round to better the 84.58m standard he had set in winning gold in 2012, had his best throw on the sixth and final round of 82.67, to capture the second major title of his career, a silver medal.

Earlier the week, both Thompson and Bledman, both Olympic silver medallists, missed out on qualifying for the 100m final while Sorrillo was eliminated in the 200m event. Failures that left a sour feeling with the trio, however, they did well to bounce back and placed third in 38.10 with the help of Burns. Lalonde, Solomon, Quow and Hewitt combined to clock 3:01.51 in the 4x400m final to seize a bronze.

The night before though, at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), Michael Alexander nabbed a bronze medal also. Despite being defeated by Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzgerald in the semifinals of the men’s lightweight division, Alexander was guaranteed a medal even before entering the ring as losing semifinalists are awarded bronze medals.

Lewis, who got a chance to see the local athletes in action, said, evaluating some of their performances, that he saw promise which was good for the future.

He said: “Dylan Carter showed his potential as did Michael Alexander and Judo's Christopher George.

“George Bovell showed he is still a world class swimmer.”

Both Bovell and Carter missed out on medals in the 50m freestyle and the 100m freestyle finals, respectively.

Bovell (22.31), who also reached the final of the 50m backstroke but chose not to compete, and Carter (49.56) placed fifth in their respective races.

T&T’s team sports were totally outclassed. The national netball team placing tenth from 12 teams, winning only one match over Barbados (38–37). The “Calypso Girls” suffered losses to South Africa (56–40), Wales (50–31), Australia (69–34) and England (70–24). In their classification match against host Scotland, they lost 46–28.

The men’s rugby sevens team lost all of its pool matches to South Africa (36–0), Kenya (35–5) and Cook Islands (33–10), to be relegated to the bowl competition and lost to Canada, 33–0.

Down in the Shield contest, the local did manage to win a match against Malaysia, 15–10 in the semifinals but fell to Sri Lanka (43–7) in that finale.

“At times I must admit it has been a difficult Games in that sense because it is never easy watching younger athletes get a baptism of fire,” said Lewis.

Both men’s and women’s hockey teams were also outplayed by their opponents to place tenth in the respective divisions.

The local stickmen though, did create history, by winning its first ever match at a Commonwealth Games, beating Malaysia 4–2 in the final preliminary match.

“We don’t afford our team sports the competitive programme that they need and it makes no sense stopping and starting is either we committed to it or we not we can’t be halfway committed then complain about the cost. If we want our teams to perform well and build and develop we have to invest the money in terms of the high level competitions.”

“The people that are making these decisions need to face reality International sports at this level have changed. We have a lot to improve.

Roger Daniel, who thrived in the last two Commonwealth Games, with two silver (2010) and a bronze (2006), left empty-handed. Daniel best showing was in the 50m Pistol event, where he placed seventh.

With competitions like the World Championships, Pan American Games and even the Olympics quickly approaching, T&T athletes will look to recuperate and dive back into preparations.

“The TTOC have to do a comprehensive review of everything we do because there are a lot of things that other countries are doing and if we have to compete we must do.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:57:21 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis: TTOC satisfied with Commonwealth Games performances
« Reply #312 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »
Lewis: TTOC satisfied with Commonwealth Games performances
Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

President of the T&T Olympic Committee Brian Lewis said he was satisfied with the performance of the national team at the recent Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. The T&T team had a haul of eight medals (three silver and five bronze) to finish 22nd out of 71 countries in the standings and third among Caribbean countries behind Jamaica and St Lucia.

It was the country’s second highest medal tally in the quadrangular event behind the 1966 team’s nine (5-2-2) in Kingston, Jamaica and an improvement from its six (0-4-2) in Delhi, India in 2010.

Speaking to the Guardian yesterday, Lewis said that while the team had fallen just short of its goal of surpassing the 1966 team, there were still several signs of encouragement.

“Going into these games, we were confident that we could exceed the record given the strength of team in swimming, cycling, boxing and track and field in particular,” he said.

“I think that in context of the bigger picture though, they set a positive platform for the upcoming the CAC Games in November, the Pan Am Games in 2015, and the Rio Olympics in 2016. It’s important to the keep results in perspective... If we had not won anything, it would have been a cause for concern.”

Lewis was especially impressed by some of the contingent’s younger members, including Men’s Lightweight bronze medallist Michael Alexander and swimmer Dylan Carter, who placed fifth in the 100m Freestyle.

“When you look at the performances of the younger and newer names, they really stepped up. I look forward to seeing them develop in the future.”

He also took satisfaction from the return to form of Keshorn Walcott, who bagged a silver in the javelin, as well as the fact that each of T&T’s relay teams had managed to make the finals.

Lewis said that while he could not comment on the situation surrounding former Minister of Sports Anil Roberts recent resignation, he praised Roberts’ commitment to the country’s athletes over his four years in office.

“The TTOC, over the years, has always had excellent relationships with the Ministers of Sports and Mr Roberts was no different. He understood sport and elite sport in particular and he was always supportive of our athletes. The TTOC can only speak from our perspective and as an organisation, we maintained constructive, cordial and very positive relations with the former minister.”

Looking ahead to this month’s Summer Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, Lewis said: “The Youth Olympics is critical from a development perspective. As opposed to the approach at elite level where one must set targets, the focus here is to constructively use this opportunity as part of their development. They will benefit from competing with their peers at the world level in that environment. One would expect that they rise to the occasion.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:52:08 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sports Minister greets returning athletes
« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:20 AM »
Sports Minister greets returning athletes
Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Nicholas Clarke (T&T Guardian)

Newly-appointed Minister of Sport Dr Rupert Griffith says he has several plans for his new post, though his first step will be to familiarise himself with the range of issues before moving ahead.

Griffith was speaking during a welcome reception for the returning Commonwealth Games athletes at the VIP Lounge of the Piarco International Airport yesterday.

In his first public appearance since replacing former minister Anil Roberts, Griffith said he would meet with his department heads today.

“I want to get a feel of the ministry, where they are now and where they are going and then as minister I will try to identify the most pressing needs, particularly for the athletes,” he said. “I have my plans but I don’t want to reveal them at this point.”

Griffith, who is serving simultaneously as the Minister of Science and Technology, will be meeting with the various heads of the national sporting organisations next week.

“Let us find out what the needs are and then what the wants are and see how we can juxtapose the needs with the wants and place it against the resources so that whatever we do will be in the best interest of the athletes, so that when we go out there we are fully equipped to compete and can continue to bring home more medals for T&T.”

He indicated that while the projects for the country’s various sporting facilities would be going ahead, though he wanted to examine the case of the unfinished Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba, which began construction under the PNM administration nine years ago.

“It’s one of the projects I want to look at. It’s a long way from completion still and there’s a lot of money involved. I will be taking a very detailed look at it and how we should go forward.”

Among the returning athletes at yesterday’s reception were javelin silver medallist Keshorn Walcott and lightweight bronze medallist Michael Alexander. Walcott, who set a new national record of 85.28 metres in the opening round, said he was satisfied with his performance.

“It was a great achievement for me getting a personal best. I think that was the best aspect of the games for me,” he said. “I’ve had a lot of injuries so I’m just trying to get myself back to where I want to be.”

Meanwhile, Alexander was thrilled with his result.

“I went to the games with one mindset, which was to medal, and I came through,” he said. “I don’t know how to explain it. I feel great knowing that it was my first big international event. I gained a lot of experience and got to see some new styles of boxing from other countries.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:49:34 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Press officer needed at TTOC
« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2014, 02:32:56 AM »
Press officer needed at TTOC
Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2014
By Andre Baptise (T&T Guardian)

The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, is over but the resulting eight medals, while much appreciated, should not be the only area of introspection for those interested in progressing our sport.

It is obvious, that the T&T contingent could have done better and achieved more medals, if George Bovell III had produced a medal as expected. He and his team will have to examine his future in light of the fact, that without any European swimmers or American swimmers, he was only able to achieve fifth place in his preferred final, and therefore serious doubts must be raised on his credible chances in 2016 in Brazil.

Perhaps though, this is where we need to start, with questions being raised to the T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC), on both the selection process going forward for international events, and also team guidelines before any major event.

There must exist rules of participation, rules of eligibility and generally guidance rules for events which must be adhered to, otherwise, there will be anarchy and problems.

Bovell qualified for the 100 metres backstroke final, after entering the event of his own free will, but while he had the seventh fastest time heading into the final and did not look like he would medal, he opted to not swim the final.

Clearly it was not injury, as he swam the following day in his pet event the 50m freestyle and it was reported that his decision was based on him, wanting to not exert himself and be at his best for the 50m freestyle. It was a report that he and his team never refuted.

My problem is that, how can someone qualify for a final at a major meeting and drop out and the governing body, the TTOC has no say or no opinion. So is it that they are afraid of Bovell? And if so, that is absolute rubbish and speaks volumes on their management style.

Please do not tell me also that this has been done before by him and therefore it is acceptable, if that be the case, then every team member can behave similarly, wake up one morning and decide not to race or swim or play a final because they do not want to, and we all must accept it gracefully with a big broad smile and move on. Who paid for their training? Who paid for their support? Who ensured that the Olympic body would sponsor their Games? In particular, Bovell is obtaining elite funding from this country and this is not money to be easily ignored, as it is estimated at around $250,000 a year at least.

But it is the principle of the matter and the way, it was done, with callous disregard for the people of T&T, who were all happy to watch one of our own in a first final, it meant a lot. It was not surprising to listen to some of the dismaying comments from the public on Bovell’s errant choice, as it was one of disgust, dissatisfaction and left a sour taste. In fact, sadly, the population turned against him, but he has himself to blame for this.

As for the TTOC, they need to put their house in order in ensuring that the information from the camp is relayed properly. There is an urgent need for the TTOC to hire a working professional press officer or Press attache, similar to how it works all over the world. In the past, Brian Lewis used to do this job himself tirelessly but now that he is president and the Olympic framework is growing, a working full-time journalist should be hired.

This would enhance the TTOC’s image and ensure that all the media houses in this country could direct their enquiries to one constant reliable source. While there may be some that would be upset with this, the TTOC needs to stand alone and be decisive. New leadership may not always mean a change in direction but as we as a sporting world evolve, the price for lack of timely information is failure and abuse.

Lewis needs to immediately hire a press officer, so that our Olympic and related teams in the future can have their views aired properly. This sort of media coverage would not only assist our athletes in getting their opinions out on one platform but would ensure consistency and trust.

Who knows if this existed, then Bovell would not have received the amount of abuse he has had to since his withdrawal from the swimming final. Maybe anyway?

However, it is clear, that policy needs to be established with set guidelines on entering and participating in events, this is not only about the athletes pride in finishing unplaced in a final, but it must be about the country and the need to ensure that our name is not tarnished as quitters or cowards who do not like to lose or be defeated.

As to the selection policy, questions continue to be asked about the idea to use a slow Zwede Hewitt (split of 45.9) to run the anchor leg in the 4x400m relay team which won a bronze medal when gold seemed theirs for the taking.

Of concern will also be the number of injuries we continue to suffer before events, even though the athletes are supposed to have been tested before and their fitness assured this however is not the case. And the sad part is that this is not the first time we have witnessed this.

There are several young journalists, who would be interested in this job, and with the Olympics in 2016 a mere two years away, the TTOC must act now in order to be ready to deliver. This would be a great sign of progressiveness and establish the TTOC as an organisation well ahead of the others.

So let us hope the lessons from the Commonwealth Games will not only be from the field of play but also from the offices and those involved in administration of the sports that the need for proper and trustworthy communication must be first and foremost in the minds of those that want sports to succeed in this country.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:41:32 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel concerned over TT preparations
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2014, 03:07:24 AM »
Daniel concerned over TT preparations
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Wednesday, August 6 2014 (T&T Newsday)

ALVIN DANIEL, former Trinidad and Tobago 200-metre and 400- metre ace runner, has heaped praises on the TT contingent for a fine showing at the Commonwealth Games’ 20th edition. But he observed that were several aspects of our preparatory phases and styles of execution on the track, that should be further developed and enhanced.

Daniel, who bagged silver for the red, white and black at the 1990 Central American Games (CAC) in Mexico City, was speaking in reference to TT’s good but still mediocre showing at the just concluded Games in Glasgow, Scotland. Altogether, this nation returned home with eight medals which comprised of three silver (Men’s 400m hurdles, Women’s shot put, Men’s javelin) and five bronze (Women’s triple jump, Men’s 400m, boxing, Men’s 4x100m, Men’s 4x400m).

“For me, the kind of form that Michelle Lee Ahye was in, she should have never run so many meets leading up to the Games,” he said. “After beating the reigning World and double Olympic champion Shelley Ann Fraser Pryce of Jamaica in the Diamond League, she should not have taken part in most of the meets that followed. She would have been tired and a bit weary at Commonwealth and Ahye was our best medal hope, so why did we run her down?”

With respect to TT’s absence in the prized Men’s 100m final, Daniel was a bit disheartened that we were unable to seal a finalist spot. According to him, some of our representatives, unlike Ahye, did not get in the proper amount of international competition prior to the Glasgow event.

“I think they may have ran too little ahead of the Commonwealth. Doing great on the local circuit and clocking fast times in Trinidad is all well and good, but it is not adequate for major meets like the Commonwealth.

Some of our individual male 100m runners should have participated in more global races. It’s somewhat the opposite of what Ahye endured,” he added.

Daniel, who also snatched silver at the World Indoor Championships in Canada in 1993, also pleaded with the respective authorities to get more training time in with the Men’s 4x100m Relay teams. He revealed that the national quartet of Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns and Rondell Sorrillo, are a good team, but do not get enough time on track training as a relay unit.

“While they all possess great individual talent, and a bronze is still a medal, I think we could have gotten gold or silver at least. Personally, I believe the guys are not clicking together as they should be. They seem to emanate a bit of uncertainty on the track. The communication needs to be bolstered in some way.”

Looking forward, Daniel is optimistic that these little tweaks can be ironed out before 2016. He is a strong supporter of all of TT’s track athletes but hopes that some of the developmental issues can be corrected in an open effort to dominate the coming Olympics.

He concluded, “the talent is here, we just have to harness it and sometimes give the younger ones a chance.

They’re all good athletes but let’s build them into all-round and consistent ones. I have all confidence in Team Trinidad and Tobago for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics and once we keep moving ahead positively, we will shock the world of athletics.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:22:42 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Potts calls for elite funding for Alexander
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:24 AM »
Potts calls for elite funding for Alexander
By JOEL BAILEY Wednesday, August 6 2014 (T&T Newsday)

SPECIAL ADVISOR to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board of Control (TTBBC) Boxu Potts is calling for Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Michael Alexander to receive Elite Athletes Funding that was promised to him by the Ministry of Sport.

In a telephone interview on Monday, after welcoming the 21-year-old Alexander back to Trinidad (after his Games’ display at Glasgow, Scotland), Potts said, “it’s a bitter-sweet moment. He has done so much for so little.”

According to Potts, Alexander “has turned his life around, got married, had a child.”

Potts revealed Alexander was promised Elite Athletes Funding by permanent secretary of the Ministry of Sport Ashwin Creed, but is yet to receive all, or any portion, of the annual sum of $250,000.

The boxing match-maker noted that Alexander only gets financial assistance from ex-TTBBC president Annabelle Davis (with the group Capital City) and Lennox Fingal of CFCL Construction.

“Monies are being squandered by the Ministry but (Alexander) is not getting Elite Athletes Funding,” stated Potts. “He needs income, better training, equipment. He’s grown past this country.

“I ask for nothing from him but to keep (his) head on (his) shoulders and pave the way for those behind him.”

Throwing a jab at the Sport Ministry’s permanent secretary, Potts stressed, “boxing was treated like a stepchild. We could’ve sent at least seven (boxing) medallists to the Commonwealth Games.”

Alexander added the Commonwealth bronze to his recently-earned Pan Am Games bronze.

“The country needs to show the same love to him that he’s showing the country,” ended Potts.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:32:33 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott pleased to silence critics
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2014, 03:36:54 AM »
Walcott pleased to silence critics
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Wednesday, August 6 2014 (T&T Newsday)

COMMONWEALTH GAMES Men’s javelin silver medallist Keshorn Walcott blasted his critics at the VIP Lounge of the Piarco International Airport yesterday, as he along with a Trinidad and Tobago athletic contingent of approximately 50, returned home from national duty after a lengthy flight from Glasgow, Scotland.

Walcott, who grabbed one of this nation’s three silver medals at the just concluded Games, silenced pundits when he took the international podium once more, after launching the spear to a personal best distance of 85.32 metres in the semi-finals and then grabbing runner-up spot with a 82.67m haul.

The Toco-born athlete was responding to questions from the media based on his most recent achievement as compared to several challenging performances following his historic golden Olympic showing in 2012.

“There was not really any pressure, as I said before, people will talk and they don’t know what I’m doing behind the doors. I had a lot of problems and injuries so I’m just trying to get myself back to where I want to be,” said a relieved Walcott.

The robust athlete admitted that eventual Commonwealth javelin winner, Kenyan Julius Yego, was always going to be a tricky opponent, even though the pair know each other very well from past global tourneys.

“There athlete competition was good. The guy from Kenya, I know him from previous tournaments such as Olympics and World Championships. I knew he was my major competition and going in there I didn’t underestimate him. I guess the better guy won on the day,” he added.

Also touching down from a hectic and historic campaign at the Games was Men’s lightweight bronze medallist, Michael Alexander. The reserved young man still beamed with delight having bagged his first international boxing medal at his inaugural global meet. In his short address to the welcoming reception, Alexander heaped praises on coaches Reynold Cox and Floyd Trumpet for giving him the required artillery to attain a coveted podium spot. He was also the only athlete to medal outside of the athletics discipline. Both Walcott and Alexander also received celebratory plaques from the Ministry of Sport.

Also present yesterday were several members of the Men and Women’s national hockey teams and athletics camps, who all brought home great experience from the acclaimed competition. Additionally, male hockey players Akim Toussaint and Solomon Eccles were also presented with miniature trophies for attaining their 100th country appearance in the sport.

Other delegates attending yesterday’s function were freshly appointed Minister of Sport Dr Rupert Griffith, Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee president Brian Lewis, National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette, special adviser to the Trinidad and Tobago Boxing Board Boxu Potts and various members of TT’s Commonwealth managerial staff.

In Griffith’s first ever address to the public as Minister of Sport, he showered praises on the returning outfit and admitted that their performances auger well for the future of national sporting development.

When asked if the medalling athletes would be rewarded from the Government, Dr Griffith stated that he has been in talks with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on this matter. He also indicated that the Prime Minster sent her regards to the contingent and that today would be his first full day in office as Sport Minister.

When asked as to what his agenda may look like today, he responded, “I have a lot of plans but won’t reveal them just yet. On my first full day (today), I will be talking with all the heads of the respective departments.

“I want to first get a feel of the Ministry as to where they are now. I want to look at the projects and where they’re going and see which direction we will go in, and put our priorities.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:15:38 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Montsho test positive for B sample. 2 year ban

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28776120

1]; } ?>