April 27, 2024, 10:48:44 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49860 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kai Selvon is out?  She came 4th.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLA's leg is wrapped up. Maybe more than a cramp or just a precaution?
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLA's leg is wrapped up. Maybe more than a cramp or just a precaution?

If its more than a cramp I think she is not the type of athlete to make an excuse out of it. In my opinion a cramp is a good excuse! But I won't have a clear assessment until after watching her run in the semis

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

She qualified as one of the faster losers. I got to get used to these slow times being run at these games. I see an athlete qualified with a 11.80 run

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What shit Richard just do! Now he have to sit and hope he make is through. Poor conduct for such an experienced athlete.

Don't worry expect the Express and Guardian sports journalists to sugarcoat or downplay his failure instead of calling it what it is.. a disgraceful performance. I hope he does a lot better in the semis
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:30:29 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Athletics Schedule Day 1: Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

http://results.glasgow2014.com/dailyschedule.html?day=all&sport=AT

Bold Red => T&T athlete is starting in event;
Q => Qualify Automatically, q => qualify as fastest loser, x => Did not qualify

Start Time (Local Time) Event and Start Lists Results
09:02   Men's Marathon Final winner US M. SHELLEY 2:11:15
09:30   Women's Marathon Final winner KEN F. DANIEL 2:26:45
14:30   Women's Long Jump T37/38 Final winner AUS J. ELKINGTON 4.39

14:37   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 1   winner JAM K. BAILEY-COLE 10.16
14:44   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 2   winner JAM J. LIVERMORE 10.26
14:51   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 3   (featuring Richard Thompson TTO 3rd 10.34q)
14:58   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 4   winner CAY K. HYMAN 10.20
15:05   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 5   winner JAM N. ASHMEADE 10.40
15:12   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 6 (featuring Darrel Brown TTO DNS)
15:19   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 7   winner ANT D. BAILEY 10.30
15:26   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 8    winner RSA A. SIMBINE 10.32
15:33   Men's 100m Round 1 - Heat 9 (featuring Keston Bledman TTO winner 10.16Q)   
15:40   Men's Shot Put Qual. Round - Group A winner JAM R. BROWN 18.11
15:40   Men's Shot Put Qual. Round - Group B (featuring R. COLLINGWOOD TTO 7th Group B, 17.83x)
15:55   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 1 winn JAM V. CAMPBELL-BROWN0.178 11.29 Q   
16:02   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 2 (featuring Kai Selvon TTO 4th 11.66q)   
16:09   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 3 winner JAM S. CALVERT 0.162 11.29 Q   
16:16   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 4 (featuring Michelle-Lee Ahye TTO 2nd 11.52Q)   
16:23   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 5 (featuring K Durant TTO 4th 11.80q)   
16:30   Women's 100m Round 1 - Heat 6 winner JAM K. STEWART 0.185 11.35 Q   
16:35   Women's Hammer Throw Qual. Rnd - Group A winner CAN S. FRIZELL 68.92
16:55   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 1 winner NGRR. GEORGE 0.181 53.92 Q   
17:02   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 2 (featuring S. Fermin TTO 5th 54.10q)   
17:09   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 3 winner ZAMK. MUPOPO 0.195 53.18 Q   
17:16   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 4 (featuring D. Williams TTO 3rd 54.43Q)   
17:23   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 5 winner NGRF. ABUGAN 0.368 52.84 Q   
17:30   Women's 400m Round 1 - Heat 6 (featuring R. Modeste TTO 6th 55.16x)      
17:40   Men's 5000m Final winner KEN C. NDIKU 13:12.07
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:00:28 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What shit Richard just do! Now he have to sit and hope he make is through. Poor conduct for such an experienced athlete.

Don't worry expect the Express and Guardian sports journalists to sugarcoat or downplay his failure instead of calling it what it is.. a disgraceful performance. I hope he does a lot better in the semis

Richard has qualified for the semis tomorrow so no need for all the female like drama.
If he does not make it into the Final then the T&T newspapers will generally go to town on Richard just as they have done in the past.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:50:17 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nope, she is thru to the Semis! See my post in Reply #65 above.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Richard has qualified for the semis tomorrow so no need for all the female like drama.
If he does not make it into the Final then the T&T newspapers will generally go to town on Richard as they have done in the past.

:D

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

If he does not make it into the Final then the T&T newspapers will generally go to town on Richard as they have done in the past.

Since the T&T newspapers seem to dictate your thinking I thought I would point out that fact so you can continue to laugh at yourself with your T&T newspapers obsession if you wish.

Most of the T&T sports journalists don't follow T&F that closely but that does not stop them from understanding if/when Richard has performed disappointingly and roasting him for performing well at home but not reproducing the form at major champs just like they have done in the past.

But hopefully he will perform well and even medal which will mean they won't have to roast him for running fast at home but being unable to do the same at a major Champs just like they have already done in the past.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:01:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it was disgraceful, but that is not expected from a championship athlete. In a track side interview, he said he misjudged where the fella from the Bahamas was as he was just trying to qualify.  As the "stud" in that heat he should have taken control over the first 50-60m then shut it down so you don't have to worry about where anyone is, because they will be behind you. Anyway, II  am just glad he made it through and believe he will come ready to run tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:10:43 PM by Aviator »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say it was disgraceful, but that is not expected from a championship athlete. In a track side interview, he said he misjudged where the fella from the Bahamas was as he was just trying to qualify.  As the "stud" in that heat he should have taken control over the first 50-60m then shut it down so you don't have to worry about where anyone is, because they will be behind you. Anyway, II  am just glad he made it through and believe he will come ready to run tomorrow.

I am more worried about Michelle-lee and her wrapped up leg right now than about Richard.

Also MLA needs to improve her starts if she wants to remain a medal contender. Her starts are generally too slow which puts her right away at a disadvantage to the other top competitors with much better starts.

I am hoping that the milder than usual weather negatively affected most of the athletes today but they will generally be running nippier times tomorrow as the weather folks have forecast that it will be at least 4 degrees hotter tomorrow than it was today.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:45:05 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Since the T&T newspapers seem to dictate your thinking I thought I would point out that fact so you can continue to laugh at yourself with your T&T newspapers obsession if you wish.

Most of the T&T sports journalists don't follow T&F that closely but that does not stop them from understanding if/when Richard has performed disappointingly and roasting him for performing well at home but not reproducing the form at major champs just like they have done in the past.

But hopefully he will perform well and even medal which will mean they won't have to roast him for running fast at home but being unable to do the same at a major Champs just like they have already done in the past.

Is that a fact? You ASSume that the T&T newspapers dictate my way of thinking. It's beginning to appear as if you like to hear yourself speak  :D

The T&T sports media does not have a reputation of roasting our athletes when they under-perform. Most times they seek out the positive of whatever happened. It happens in football, cricket and T&F. The sports climate in T&T for YEARS has always been 'you did a good job you were almost there, you almost made it". Ian Morris in 92 Olympics at Barcelona , The Strike Squad in 1989 are good examples.

This is the cultural mindset that gives an Express journalist the comfort to write an article yesterday titled 'T&T after bronze' and accepted as the norm by both the public and athletes. Now You will continue to argue for the sake of arguing  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:53:18 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Is that a fact? You ASSume that the T&T media dictate my way of thinking. It's beginning to appear like you like to hear yourself speak  :D

The T&T sports media does not have a reputation of roasting our athletes when they underperform. Most times they seek out the positive of whatever happened.

Your arguments are lame my friend so don't expect me to buy them.
Maybe you should take your generalizations to someone else who don't regularly read the T&T sports news and don't know better so will swallow whatever you say without thinking it thru. :thumbsup:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Nobody curious as to why Darrel didn't start?
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

usual story

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
MLA withdraws from the games

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLA withdraws from the games
From her Twitter! https://twitter.com/Leeahye/status/493469835318538240
Lee Ahye
‏@Leeahye

Sorry for disappointing u guys but unfortunately I will be pulling out of the Games..my hamstring is quite yet not ready #sorry
https://twitter.com/Leeahye/status/493474788799954945
Lee Ahye
‏@Leeahye

It hurts me a lot meaning it hurts not being able to go out there and run and win a medal and fly #TTO flag high

This will seriously affect our Relay Team's Medal chances as well.

I wonder if MLA will be healthy again before the end of the season?

However the priority is not running while not fully fit and making matters worse in the long term.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:05:06 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That sucks, but she can take her time and get healthly properly. If she wants to comeback and run the DL does not start back until August 21st.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well done Bledos. That is how Top Brass is suppose to deal with the minnows.

dais what ah talking bout! taking care of business.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/80clNx30rs4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/80clNx30rs4</a>

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:59:30 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Well done Bledos. That is how Top Brass is suppose to deal with the minnows.

dais what ah talking bout! taking care of business.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/80clNx30rs4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/80clNx30rs4</a>
[/quote]

What I class as taking care of business is making the Finals and medalling if you have the form and ability this season to do so.

Anything else is a meaningless pappyshow including winning your heat so lets not count any chickens yet where Bledman is concerned.

I hope Bledman can qualify comfortably for the Final tomorrow and then press for a medal but that remains to be seen.

Based on overall form this season I expect Richard to do better than Bledman in this competition despite his relatively slower run than Bledman today.

Here is video of Richard's race.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yJX3kWtipbw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yJX3kWtipbw</a>
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:02:56 PM by Socapro »

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
c'mon dude,,,,the man did very good,,remember he's still nursing a groin injury inno...GEEZE

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro you do not know what I meant. Taking care of business as in doing what is expected. And that is what Bledman did, he took care of business in his heat. Again I think you like to hear yourself talk  :D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:01:08 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
c'mon dude,,,,the man did very good,,remember he's still nursing a groin injury inno...GEEZE

:beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

usual story

Not sure why VB is wondering about that knowing DB's history of regular injuries.

It was a big risk selecting DB to run the individual 100m at these CWGs but he earned his place fairly and squarely and the hope probably was that DB was making a comeback this year and could even run his first sub-10 in many many years and possibly make the Final and surprize a few people outside of T&T.

Hope he will be okay but I won't risk running DB on the relay unless he is 110% and matching the others in training as we are already valid medal contenders in the Men's 4x100m Relay with or without DB on the squad.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:37:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socapro you do not know what I meant. Taking care of business as in doing what is expected. And that is what Bledman did, he took care of business in his heat. Again I think you like to hear yourself talk  :D

Again it means nothing if Bledman does not progress to the Final and press for a medal.
The important thing here is progressing to the semis so you have a chance to qualify for the Final and show your pedigree when it matters most and both Bledman and Richard are into the semis, so far so good for both of them.
You would have had a point of contention to harp on about if Richard did not progress to the semis but as for what is important you are trying to make a mountain out of a mould-hill.
Its quite possible that the two false starts before his race and the chillier than usual weather affected Richard's focus and he will show more of his pedigree when it matters more tomorrow so that he can qualify comfortably for the Final.
Lets wait and see and we can knock him all we want if he messes up and does not make it into the Final.

PS:
Btw I am not talking, I am typing as it is dead quiet where I am other than the television with the news on in the background. So there goes your theory of liking to hear myself talk. Not everything that you imagine is real my friend.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:56:12 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RT will have  to bring up his A game for the semis

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RT will have  to bring up his A game for the semis
Most of the sprinters who plan to progress will have to including Bledman and Richard.

The weather forecast is for warmer conditions tomorrow so the conditions should be right for much faster times overall.
I would expect a few sub-10 statements during their qualification for the Final by those who plan on being top contenders for a medal come the Final.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:47:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BREAKING NEWS TONIGHT:

Trinidad and Tobago's Track Management Team at the Commonwealth Games have withdrawn both Darrel Brown and Michele Lee Ahye from any further participation in these Games due to injury .
This is a particularly serious blow for Michelle Lee Ahye who was favourite for the Women's 100 metres. Ahye finished second in her heat this morning , but limped off in pain grimacing and could not speak with the media. While Brown never faced the starter in the 100 metre heats.

1]; } ?>