March 29, 2024, 08:18:05 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49283 times)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lets go Ayanna Alexander! she is currently in bronze medal contention!
http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atw062101/womens_triple_jump_final.html

Bronze is confirmed!!

thank you Ayanna for picking up our first medal

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Wasted money

No Breds. I rather waste the money on the athletes than them people Anil splurged money on. The fact is the various sports association did not prepare their teams to the max. The hockey and netball teams needed to go England and Euro to play warm up games. The hockey team is a U-21/U-23?(correct me). This is only the CW games. We need to double the funding and preps. for the CAC and PanAm games. And triple the funding preps. for the Olimpics. In a way we should be glad the poor performance happen now and not in Rio. Our team sports need to play internation games frequently. I should say every team and individual need to particpate internationally. That means more funding. So if thos friggin business don't step up and help our athletes get to f**k out of TT.

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atw062101/womens_triple_jump_final.html

Bronze is confirmed!!

:beermug:  I want to see more encouragement for more youth participation in FIELD EVENTS. We spend so much focus on sprint events.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So which one of these individuals need not be raising their hand to be part of future contingents:

Manager- Commissiong

Coaches- Lester Osuna, Arlon Morrison, Gunness Persad, Gerard Franklin, Ismael Lopez, Michelle Pennie, Robin Brereton and Paul Voisin

Medical- Verne Alleyne, Ian Sharpe, Brent Elder and Dr Anyl Gopeesingh.

With the amount of non-starts, false-starts, no-marks, seeming mismanagement and miscommunication of injuries, seeming lack of race tactics and focus by round, seeming lack of knowledge of local competition conditions and thus the necessary wear/kit, something systematic is definitely wrong. It seems only/mostly the seasoned athletes are fairing well. When the majority of a team is performing in such a sub-par manner it usually comes down to one of more of the following:

Competition preparation - camp, coaching, air travel, adjustment period, competition kit for the weather (manager, coaches, physiotherapist), team morale - communicating team goals, individual medal/placing expectations, purpose for being there, assigning team captains, guest speakers like past CWG TT champs, (manager, psychotherapist), team leadership and management - handling all paperwork, administrative obstacles, shielding team from non-competition issues (manager/chef de mission), ensuring team comfort and adjustments - weather, environment, accommodations, food (manager/chef de mission).

It would serve the team to have brief and directed morning and evening meetings each competition day to go through all the risks and resulting plans B/C/D (race tactics and goals, paperwork, timing of meals, timing of transportation, daily weather, necessary wear, timing for physio work and warm ups, inventory of equipment, timing for post-race physio, daily competition recap and lessons for the next day).

Hope the remaining schedule produces better results.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Bronze is confirmed!!

thank you Ayanna for picking up our first medal
And Congrats as well!!  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Both Gordon and Quow qualified for the 400m final. Good run from Gordon

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They simply did not meet their stated goals for the games and really have themselves and their coaches to blame, especially as seasoned professionals who should know how and when to "peak" more than once in a year. Having 3 Jamaicans in a CWG final vs. 0 TTO athletes is not acceptable at this level.

Wow...so 3 TTO 400 men vs 0 JA 400m in the final. Guess we see where sprinting focus has grown/ receded in the last 5-10 years. Bahamas representing strong no doubt alongside King Kirani

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

She got the bronze! Congrats Ayanna!
whey boy!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They simply did not meet their stated goals for the games and really have themselves and their coaches to blame, especially as seasoned professionals who should know how and when to "peak" more than once in a year. Having 3 Jamaicans in a CWG final vs. 0 TTO athletes is not acceptable at this level.

Wow...so 3 TTO 400 men vs 0 JA 400m in the final. Guess we see where sprinting focus has grown/ receded in the last 5-10 years. Bahamas representing strong no doubt alongside King Kirani
Looking good for the relay!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When does KAB return to competition?

Not sure. I think she is finished serving her ban that was curtailed. I read somewhere she is or was injured. (Maybe someone in here can confirm) I hope she is fit and ready for the World Champs next year
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:46:48 PM by Sando prince »

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The 400m women fielded 3 JA women and they swept it
whey boy!

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lane draw for tomorrow's 400m final
http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/athletics/atm004101/mens_400m_final.html
1. C. Brown BAH
2. R. Quow TTO
3. L. Gordon TTO
4. W. van Niekerk RSA
5. M. Rooney ENG
6. K. James GRN
7. J. Solomon TTO
8. L. Williams BAH

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1. C. Brown BAH
2. R. Quow TTO
3. L. Gordon TTO
4. W. van Niekerk RSA
5. M. Rooney ENG
6. K. James GRN
7. J. Solomon TTO
8. L. Williams BAH

Video of Gordon semi-final race. He looks like he had much more left in the tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waOkqL6oeLI&list=UU7Bd504D8IIZpgxgb5EbnCg

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:27:50 PM by Sando prince »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1. C. Brown BAH
2. R. Quow TTO
3. L. Gordon TTO
4. W. van Niekerk RSA
5. M. Rooney ENG
6. K. James GRN
7. J. Solomon TTO
8. L. Williams BAH

Nice lane for Gordon type of race   

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica is doing well in the Athletics department of this year CWG. They have NO rivals in the commonwealth world of Athletics. I think they already have 5 gold medals, and I am sure they will add more to this tally come relay time.

The absence of the US shows how much the JA vs US rivalry mean to the sport
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:22:24 PM by Sando prince »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html

Imagine little Barbados had three men in the 110 Final.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Imagine little Barbados had three men in the 110 Final.

VB

and imagine we had 3 entrants in dat event and 2 of them DNS.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well we are guarantied at least a next bronze. Boxer M. Alexander is into the Light weight semis.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I come home to see we get a bronze just so.  I didn't know we had a good triple jumper, congrats to Ms. Alexander!
Somebody wave a towel!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

However, having said that I would not call running 10.18 and 10.24 deplorable. Visually they gave their best efforts today which was not good enough.

It is better all of this (MLA, DB, RT, KB) happened this year and not 2015 or 2016, though with the exception of MLA the rest aren't getting any younger.

On to the 400 and the relays, staying vex won't help anybody perform better.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ALEXANDER JOINS THE CLUB Another Commonwealth medal for T&T jumper
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
ALEXANDER JOINS THE CLUB
Another Commonwealth medal for T&T jumper

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Jul 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Ayanna Alexander has joined the club—Trinidad and Tobago’s Commonwealth Games multiple-medallist club.

Alexander chose just the right occasion to produce her best 2014 effort, the 32-year-old athlete disturbing the sand at 14.01 metres to strike bronze in the women’s triple jump, at Hampden Park here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday.

“It feels great,” Alexander told the Express. “As always, there’s adversity here and there. Four months ago, I couldn’t walk. I’ve been bouncing back from an ankle injury. The plan was always to come here, and come back strong.”

It was a strong showing indeed, Alexander’s superb performance earning her membership in an elite club, alongside some of the biggest names in T&T sporting history.

Sprinter Edwin Roberts is the “president” of the club with five Commonwealth Games medals, captured at the 1966 and 1970 editions. Hasely Crawford, Kent Bernard and shooter Roger Daniel have three each, while eight athletes have achieved two podium finishes, for a total of 12 club members.

Ahead of the 2014 Games, Roger Gibbon, Leslie King, Rodney Wilkes, Brandon Bailey, Wendell Mottley, Benedict Cayenne and Cleopatra Borel were the double medallists. Alexander is the newbie, adding yesterday’s bronze to the silver she had earned in the same event at the 2010 Games in Delhi, India.

Afterwards, T&T’s first medallist here at Glasgow 2014 took a victory run on the back straight with the Red, White and Black blowing behind her. She then joined Jamaican gold medallist Kimberly Williams (14.21m) and English silver medallist Laura Samuel (14.09m) for a spirited victory lap.

“When I got silver in Delhi,” said Alexander, “I didn’t have a flag when the competition was finished. So this was the first time being able to experience taking a victory lap having a T&T flag draped around me. It was a really indescribable moment for me because I feel I was deprived of that in Delhi.

“I got a silver medal there,” she continued, “but just the whole overall feeling of being able to come back, knowing where I came from at the beginning of the season…I was probably counted out. I just thank God. I’m grateful to come and represent T&T another time at Commonwealth Games.”

Alexander endured the cold weather here in Glasgow, brushing aside the 16-degree Celsius conditions to put together a solid series of jumps—13.54m, 13.75m, 13.99m, a wind-assisted 13.53m, 14.01m, and finally, 13.77m.

Alexander and Borel are the only female members of the country’s multi-medallist club. In fact, they are the only women from T&T to have earned precious metal at the Commonwealth Games.

But Alexander is not satisfied. She wants to climb the podium at both the 2015 IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Alexander knows medal success on the global stage does not come easily, and without calling names, she sent out a strong message to the powers that be.

“I’m hearing that people want medals, so the goal is to get on that podium. I hope the plan is in place to help get me there.”

In the words of Jesus, in Matthew 11:15, “He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alexander jumps to Commonwealth bronze
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Wednesday, July 30 2014 (T&T Newsday)

AYANNA ALEXANDER became the first Trinidad and Tobago athlete to medal at the 20th edition of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday, when she leapt to bronze in the women’s triple-jump event at Hampden Park Stadium.

Alexander launched a distance of 14.01 metres to secure her precious podium spot, finishing behind eventual winner Kimberly Williams of Jamaica (14.21m) and silver medallist Laura Samuel of England (14.09m). This was also Williams’ season best performance and Samuel’s personal best distance. Alexander third placed showing saw her better her previous qualifying round performance of 13.78m.

More positive news coming out of the athletic camp yesterday was the progression of TT’s three quarter-milers, Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon and Renny Quow, into the Men’s 400m finals. Running out of lane one in semi-final three, Gordon was the fastest qualifier having won his event in 45.37 seconds. Semi-final one saw Solomon seal a finalist spot by finishing second fastest in 45.49. However, Quow and Bahamian Chris Brown (45.55) squeezed into the final as the fastest losers, with the former placing third in semi-final two in 45.47 and the latter, third in semi-final one.

The local trio will vie for Commonwealth glory in today’s 400m final, where they will go up against Olympic champ Kirani James (Grenada), Martyn Rooney (England), Wayde Van Niekerk (South Africa) and Bahamians Latoy Williams and Brown. Quow will be going for gold from lane two, Gordon lane three and Solomon lane seven.

Additionally, Tonya Nero finished 12th in the Women’s 10,000m final after clocking a season’s best time of 35 minutes 48.63 seconds. Winning this event was Joyce Chepkirui in a personal best time of 32:09.35.

In the Men’s 800m round one heats, local athletes Kendis Bullard and Jamaal James just missed out on advancing. Bullard (1:51.57) was sixth in heat two while James (1:51.62) crossed the line fourth in heat four.

In the Women’s 400m hurdles event, nationals Janeil Bellille and Josanne Lucas were unable to progress out their respective heats. In round one of heat one, Lucas was disqualified while Bellille finished fourth in 57.51.

And in the Men’s 110m hurdles round one heats, three of TT’s representatives did not advance to the next stage. Mikel Thomas (13.86s) placed fourth in heat one while Wayne Davis II and Durell Busby did not start in their respective heats due to injury.

Meanwhile, boxer Michael Alexander also inched closer to a coveted podium place when he moved on to the semi-final stage in the Men’s Lightweight (65 kilogram) division yesterday. Alexander traded blows with Bajan Cobia Breedy and emerged victorious on points (90-81). Also in boxing, Aaron Prince will return to the ring today to attempt a semi-final berth when he squares off against Vijender Vijender (India) in the Men’s Middleweight (75kg) quarter-final one.

The national table tennis outfit also showed worth on the opening day of Singles competition as Dexter St Louis, Curtis Humphreys and Rheann Chung all recorded double-wins in their respective Group match-ups, thus advancing to first round which serves off today.

The France-based St Louis opened his Group Three account positively by producing a strong 11- 4, 11-1, 11-3, 11-6 win over Kenyan Michael Owuor Otieno and then followed up with a tight come-from-behind 7-11, 8-11, 12-10, 11-8, 11-8 victory over Bajan Kevin Farley. Humphreys, in Group 22, also powered past Masoud Issa Mtalaso (Republic of Tanzania) 11-5, 11-4, 11-4, 11-7 and Seychelles’ Nicholas Esther 11-8, 11-3, 11-2, 11-8 while Chung, in Group Four of the women’s division, registered wins over Tuvalu Kaimalie Resture (11-3, 11-6, 11-3, 11-3) and Tanzanian Neema Dennis Mwaisyula (11-5, 11-4, 11-5, 11-2).

Youngster, Aaron Wilson showed up in his Men’s Singles Group 30 opener by beating Pakistani Tabish Kurshid 11-5, 11-9, 11-6, 11-9. His following match however, saw the promising player go down 12-10, 13-11, 11-7 to Welshman Daniel O’Connell.

Aleena Edwards shared similar scorelines after she defeated Jersey’s Kelsey Le Maistre 11-6, 7- 11, 11-9, 11-5, 11-4 but lost her second game 6-11, 12-10, 11-6, 11-5, 8-11, 11-8 to Bajan counterpart Krystle Harvey. Meanwhile, Ashley Quashie was eliminated from Group 8, losing 4- 0 to Ganiat Ogundele of Nigeria and 4-1 to Agnes Wiron Ngodoki of Tanzania.

Action continues today with the first rounds of Men’s Doubles and Mixed Doubles and second round Women’s Singles.

The national netball team lost their fourth consecutive match yesterday, going down 70-24 at the hands of the English. The local squad trailed significantly throughout all four quarters, starting with a ten-point deficit (15-5) at the end of the first period. Things got harder for the “Calypso Girls” as they entered half-time with the score at 27-12.

The third stanza saw the TT outfit add eight more to their tally, but this could not be compared to England’s 20-point haul in this segment (47-20). It was all over for the red, white and black at the final whistle. Joelisa Cooper top scored for TT scoring 13 of her 16 attempts while Joanne Harten netted 35 of her 43 tries.

The girls’ lone victory came in the opening match against Barbados (38-37) but lost the next four against South Africa (56-40), Wales (50-31), Australia (69-34) and England.

In the pool, George Bovell III missed out on medalling at the Commonwealth when he was fifth to touch the wall in the Men’s 50m freestyle finals. The Olympic medallist clocked 22.31 and finished behind English winner Benjamin Proud (21.92), Australians silver and bronze medallists, Cameron McEvoy (22.00) and James Magnussen (22.10) respectively. Yesterday’s result saw the completion of TT’s participants in swim events in Glasgow.

National squash players had a tough time in the Men, Women and Mixed Doubles events, going down in all four matches. The Men’s Doubles Pool D was contested by Colin Ramasra and Kale Wilson, who fell 11-3, 11-4 victim to Scotland’s Alan Clyne/ Harry Leitch. The women’s equivalent saw the pair of Charlotte Knaggs/ Kerrie Sample (11-6, 11-9) fail to get past the Welsh duo of Tesni Evans/ Deon Saffery. TT’s Mixed Doubles teams, Ramasra/ Sample then bowed out of their Pool F Mixed Doubles meeting 11-1, 11-4 against England’s Daryl Selby/ Sarah Kippax while Knaggs/ Wilson were eliminated 11-0, 11-2 by another English team, Peter Barker/ Alison Waters.

And in hockey, TT Men’s team recorded its first ever Commonwealth win by outclassing Malaysia 4-2 in their preliminary match. Three goals from Kwandane Browne in the first half and another from Mickell Pierre saw the red, white and black emerge victorious, with Malaysia finding the back of the net once in the second half.

The national outfit will however, not advance to the next round, having lost to England (6-1), New Zealand (8-0) and Canada (3-1) in their previous matches.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:04:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Michael Alexander secures boxing medal
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:04 AM »
Story Created: Jul 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago boxer Michael Alexander is guaranteed at least a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games men’s lightweight division.

Alexander outpointed Barbadian Cobia Breedy at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday to advance to the semi-final round. He will next meet Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzpatrick for a spot in the final and the opportunity to go for gold. The two losing semi-finalists will be awarded bronze medals.

In a unanimous decision, all three judges scored yesterday’s quarter-final bout 30-27 in favour of Alexander.

At the Tollcross Swimming Centre, George Bovell finished fifth in the men’s 50 metres freestyle final. The T&T swimmer touched the wall in 22.31 seconds. England’s Benjamin Proud clocked 21.92 to take the gold, forcing Australians Cameron McEvoy (22.00) and James Magnussen (22.10) to settle for silver and bronze, respectively.

In athletics, T&T will have full representation in today’s men’s 400m final. Renny Quow will run in lane two, next to Lalonde Gordon, in three, while Jarrin Solomon has been drawn in lane seven.

In yesterday’s semi-final round, at Hampden Park, Gordon produced a strong run on the home straight to win heat three in 45.37 seconds.

Solomon clocked 45.49 for second spot in the opening heat, and also advanced automatically. Quow earned his lane as a “fastest loser” after finishing third in heat two in 45.47.

T&T’s Tonya Nero completed her 25 laps of the track in 35 minutes, 48.63 seconds to finish 12th in the women’s 10,000m. Joyce Chepkirui took gold in 32:09.35, getting the better of her Kenya teammate Florence Kiplagat (32:09.48) in a close finish. Another Kenyan, Emily Chebet (32:10.82) bagged bronze.

Competing in cold conditions during yesterday’s opening session, T&T athletes struggled.

Janeil Bellille and Josanne Lucas exited the women’s 400m hurdles, but for different reasons.

Bellille was fourth in heat three in 57.51 seconds. With only the top two in each heat progressing automatically to the eight-woman final, Bellille’s only chance was to get in as a “fastest loser”. Her clocking, however, was not fast enough, the T&T athlete finishing ninth overall.

Lucas was drawn in the opening heat, but was disqualified for a false start. She now switches her attention to the 100m hurdles. The opening round will be contested tomorrow, and the final on Friday.

“Looking forward to it,” Lucas told the Express. “Everything is leading up to the 100-metre hurdles.”

Mikel Thomas finished 10th overall in the qualifying round of the men’s 110m hurdles, missing out on a berth in the final. The T&T hurdler was fourth in heat one in 13.86 seconds—too slow for a “fastest loser” berth.

Thomas’ T&T teammates, Durell Busby and Wayne Davis were non-starters in the sprint hurdles. Team manager George Comissiong told the Express that both athletes are injured. He said an MRI confirmed Davis’ injury ahead of the event, while Busby felt pain while warming up and opted not to face the starter.

Sixteen half-milers qualified for the semifinal round of the men’s 800m. T&T’s Kendis Bullard and Jamaal James were not among them, neither athlete coping well with cold Glasgow.

Running in heat two, Bullard could only manage sixth spot, returning a time of one minute, 51.57 seconds. James enjoyed a better finish in heat four, getting home fourth, but was slower than Bullard, clocking 1:51.62. Both times, however, were too slow for “fastest loser” qualification.

And in the men’s long jump qualifying event, Kyron Blaise fouled all three attempts and was eliminated.

A first half hat-trick from Kwandwane Browne set up a 4-2 victory for T&T’s hockey men in their pool B clash with Malaysia, at the National Hockey Centre. Browne’s three goals all came from penalty corners, the star player scoring in the 12th, 16th and 35th minutes. Mickell Pierre was also on target for T&T, opening the account in the eighth minute.

T&T were 4-1 ahead at the interval. The second half, however, was scoreless up until the final minute of the game, the Malaysians reducing the deficit with seconds left on the clock.

At the SSE Hydro, T&T gymnast William Albert totalled 75.682 to finish 23rd in men’s all-around qualification, earning a spot in the 24-man final. He is the second reserve for the rings final after finishing 11th in qualifying with a score of 14.200.

In table tennis, T&T players Dexter St Louis, Curtis Humphreys, Rheann Chung and Aleena Edwards have qualified for the knockout phase of the singles events.

St Louis won twice, including a 4-2 triumph over Barbadian Kevin Farley to top his preliminary round men’s singles group. Humphreys also recorded two victories to join St Louis in the round of 64.

In the women’s singles, Chung was victorious twice to advance to the round of 64. Edwards, meanwhile, lost to Barbadian Krystle Harvey.

However, Edwards beat Jersey’s Kelsey le Maistre, and le Maistre defeated Harvey. With all three players getting a victory, Edwards’ superior record in the group matches earned her a passage to the knockout stage.

At the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), the T&T netballers were crushed 70-24 by England. Joanne Harten singlehandedly outscored T&T, the England goal shoot sinking 35 goals from 43 attempts. For T&T, goal attack Joelisa Cooper shot 81 percent--13 goals from 16 attempts.

At the Barry Buddon Shooting Centre, in Carnoustie, T&T shooters Michael Perez and Norris Gomez finished 26th and 33rd, respectively, in the Queen’s Prize individual event.

And in squash, there were defeats for all the T&T doubles pairs on show at Scotstoun Campus. Colin Ramasra and Kale Wilson lost to a Scottish pair in men’s doubles. Charlotte Knaggs and Kerrie Sample went under to Wales in women’s doubles. And in mixed doubles, Ramasra/Sample and Wilson/Knaggs were beaten by England combinations.

Team T&T Today
(All TT times)

4.30 a.m. – Table tennis, doubles
5.05 a.m. – Athletics, Ayanna Alexander, women’s long jump qualifying
5.09 a.m. – Athletics, Rondel Sorrillo, men’s 200 heats
5.16 a.m. – Athletics, Jereem Richards, men’s 200 heats
6.05 a.m. – Athletics, Deandra Daniel, women’s high jump qualifying
6.05 a.m. – Athletics, Kyle Greaux, men’s 200 heats
6.30 a.m. – Athletics, Jehue Gordon, men’s 400 hurdles heats
6.42 a.m. – Athletics, Emanuel Mayers, men’s 400 hurdles heats
7.00 a.m. – Squash, doubles
7.06 a.m. – Athletics, Alena Brooks, women’s 800 heats
7.56 a.m. – Gymnastics, William Albert, men’s all-around final
12.40 p.m. – Table tennis, women’s singles
After 1.30 p.m. - Boxing, Aaron Prince, men’s middleweight quarterfinal
3.30 p.m. - Athletics, Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow, men’s 400 final
3.40 p.m. – Athletics, Cleopatra Borel, Annie Alexander, women’s shot put final
4.21 p.m. – Athletics, Reyare Thomas, women’s 200 heats
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:11:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Story Created: Jul 29, 2014 at 9:51 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago boxer Michael Alexander is guaranteed at least a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games men’s lightweight division.
Alexander outpointed Barbadian Cobia Breedy at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC), here in Glasgow, Scotland, yesterday to advance to the semi-final round. He will next meet Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzpatrick for a spot in the final and the opportunity to go for gold. The two losing semi-finalists will be awarded bronze medals.

In a unanimous decision, all three judges scored yesterday’s quarter-final bout 30-27 in favour of Alexander.

At the Tollcross Swimming Centre, George Bovell finished fifth in the men’s 50 metres freestyle final. The T&T swimmer touched the wall in 22.31 seconds. England’s Benjamin Proud clocked 21.92 to take the gold, forcing Australians Cameron McEvoy (22.00) and James Magnussen (22.10) to settle for silver and bronze, respectively.

In athletics, T&T will have full representation in today’s men’s 400m final. Renny Quow will run in lane two, next to Lalonde Gordon, in three, while Jarrin Solomon has been drawn in lane seven.

In yesterday’s semi-final round, at Hampden Park, Gordon produced a strong run on the home straight to win heat three in 45.37 seconds.

Solomon clocked 45.49 for second spot in the opening heat, and also advanced automatically. Quow earned his lane as a “fastest loser” after finishing third in heat two in 45.47.

T&T’s Tonya Nero completed her 25 laps of the track in 35 minutes, 48.63 seconds to finish 12th in the women’s 10,000m. Joyce Chepkirui took gold in 32:09.35, getting the better of her Kenya teammate Florence Kiplagat (32:09.48) in a close finish. Another Kenyan, Emily Chebet (32:10.82) bagged bronze.

Competing in cold conditions during yesterday’s opening session, T&T athletes struggled.

Janeil Bellille and Josanne Lucas exited the women’s 400m hurdles, but for different reasons.

Bellille was fourth in heat three in 57.51 seconds. With only the top two in each heat progressing automatically to the eight-woman final, Bellille’s only chance was to get in as a “fastest loser”. Her clocking, however, was not fast enough, the T&T athlete finishing ninth overall.

Lucas was drawn in the opening heat, but was disqualified for a false start. She now switches her attention to the 100m hurdles. The opening round will be contested tomorrow, and the final on Friday.

“Looking forward to it,” Lucas told the Express. “Everything is leading up to the 100-metre hurdles.”

Mikel Thomas finished 10th overall in the qualifying round of the men’s 110m hurdles, missing out on a berth in the final. The T&T hurdler was fourth in heat one in 13.86 seconds—too slow for a “fastest loser” berth.

Running in heat two, Bullard could only manage sixth spot, returning a time of one minute, 51.57 seconds. James enjoyed a better finish in heat four, getting home fourth, but was slower than Bullard, clocking 1:51.62. Both times, however, were too slow for “fastest loser” qualification.

4.30 a.m. – Table tennis, doubles
5.05 a.m. – Athletics, Ayanna Alexander, women’s long jump qualifying
5.09 a.m. – Athletics, Rondel Sorrillo, men’s 200 heats
5.16 a.m. – Athletics, Jereem Richards, men’s 200 heats
6.05 a.m. – Athletics, Deandra Daniel, women’s high jump qualifying
6.05 a.m. – Athletics, Kyle Greaux, men’s 200 heats
6.30 a.m. – Athletics, Jehue Gordon, men’s 400 hurdles heats
6.42 a.m. – Athletics, Emanuel Mayers, men’s 400 hurdles heats
7.00 a.m. – Squash, doubles
7.06 a.m. – Athletics, Alena Brooks, women’s 800 heats
7.56 a.m. – Gymnastics, William Albert, men’s all-around final
12.40 p.m. – Table tennis, women’s singles
After 1.30 p.m. - Boxing, Aaron Prince, men’s middleweight quarterfinal
3.30 p.m. - Athletics, Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, Renny Quow, men’s 400 final
3.40 p.m. – Athletics, Cleopatra Borel, Annie Alexander, women’s shot put final
4.21 p.m. – Athletics, Reyare Thomas, women’s 200 heats

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=62877.0

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Surprise us Guys!!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The world champion is here

Jehue Gordon cruised into the men's 400 metres hurdles final. The reigning world champion clocked 49.42 seconds to finish first in heat one, advancing as the second fastest qualifier.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Commonwealth-2014-LIVE-UPDATES----268785521.html

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

See how the Express readers feel about T&T performance so far at the Commonwealth games. I agree with the majority  :beermug:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/home/poll/269206861.html?t=a&mr=1&submit=Submit&oid=2&pid=269206861&pollpg=y&cid=3031

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big up Lalonde on the run. Bronze and a season's best of 44.78
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats to Gordon on winning the bronze  :beermug:

Next is Jehue chance to bring home a medal tomorrow

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I agree we are disappointed. But this is not the time to chinks on funding for these athletes. We need to double the funding for these athletes. They track athletes need their seperate facilities. They can be having to depend on when HCS is available because of some big fete, etc.

1]; } ?>