March 28, 2024, 11:48:52 AM

Author Topic: 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread: Wed 23 July — Sun 3 Aug 2014, Glassgow, Scotland  (Read 49263 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BOTSWANA'S MONTSHO TESTS POSITIVE FOR BANNED STIMULANT METHYLEXANEAMINE AT COMMONWEALTH GAMES

They better check Nijel Amos, Makwala (2013 - 10.40; 20.21; 45.86 to 2014 - 19.96; 44.01 same day); and Seribe too (2012 - 46.57; 2014 - 45.21)

Smh this type ah ting just continue to ruin the sport and turn more fans away from the sport

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Exciting day for TT athletes
Saturday, August 2 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago lightweight boxer Micheal Alexander copped his first ever major international medal yesterday at the XX Commonwealth Games, Glasgow, Scotland.

It was TT’s fifth medal in Glasgow — two silver and three bronze. Alexander, 21-years-old, lost his semi-final bout to Northern Ireland’s Joe Fitzpatrick, 30-27, 30-27, 30-27.

In the other semi-final, India’s Devendro Laishram dominated Wales’ Ashley Williams, registering a knockdown in a 30-27, 30-27, 30-27 victory.

Meanwhile, it was an exciting day for the other TT athletes in their quest for glory with Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott setting a new national record with the best qualifying throw for today’s finals of the men’s javelin throw event.

Walcott threw the spear 85.28 metres to win Group B of the qualifying round comfortably. The former World Junior champion outshone his other rivals in Group B including Australians Luke Cann (79.36) Stuart Farquhar (78.54) and Josh Robinson (78.32).

The TT men and women 4x400 and 4x100m relay teams also secured lanes in today’s finals with impressive performances.

The women 4x400 team was the first to advance after placing third in semi-final one behind Jamaica (3:28.29) and Australia (3:32.40). The TT quartet of Shawna Fermin, Dominique Williams, Janeil Bellille and Romona Modeste produced a time of three minutes 33.26 seconds.

In the men equivalent, TT easily advanced with the absence of 400m National Champion Renny Quow. Running with the 2014 Commonwealth 400m Games bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon, Jarrin Solomon, 400m hurdles silver medallist Jehue Gordon and Zwede Hewitt, TT blew away semi-final two in three minutes 04.06 seconds ahead of Nigeria (3:06.66) and Zambia (3:07.43).

The TT Women 4x100 team placed third in semi-final one with a time of 44.47 to finish closely behind Australia (44.45) with Nigeria winning in 44.13.

Their male equivalent — Rondel Sorillo, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns and Richard Thompson — won their semi-final, getting the baton around smoothly in 38.33 seconds ahead of Canada (38.41) and Bahamas (38.52).

Also, TT’s Josanne Lucas failed to medal at yesterday’s women 100m hurdles after crossing the line in seventh position in 13.60 seconds. Sally Parson of Australia won gold in 12.67 ahead of Tiffany Porter of England (12.80) and Canadian Angela Whyte (13.80).
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
4x400m Womens final - Commonwealth Games 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dBUSomNbZC4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dBUSomNbZC4</a>

Ja, Naija, Eng in the women 4x400. Our girls was 5th. After the first leg, I realised our girls had no chance at all. They have a lot of work if they want to go Rio.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:11:04 PM by Socapro »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ja, Naija, Eng in the women 4x400. Our girls was 5th. After the first leg, I realised our girls had no chance at all. They have a lot of work if they want to go Rio.
Until our women start making finals,  I won't be expecting much more.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
4x400m Mens Final - Commonwealth Games 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QJ4qYhHSqx0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QJ4qYhHSqx0</a>

Someone please explain to me why Hewitt ran the anchor leg of the relay final? smh enough disappointments at this CWG
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:07:26 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The first 3 legs were fabuloso. Absolutely. Imagine if Lendore had gotten that lead. Well onto the WC and Rio.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Someone please explain to me why Hewitt ran the anchor leg of the relay final? smh enough disappointments at this CWG

To protect the bronze lead they knew they were only capable of getting, thanks to Mr. "Iffy" Lendore

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Whatever leg Hewitt ran, we would have got the bronze.  He simply is to slow at this level.  Without Lendore and Cedenio it was always going to be difficult.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

To protect the bronze lead they knew they were only capable of getting, thanks to Mr. "Iffy" Lendore

You don't believe Jehue would have done a better job?

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You don't believe Jehue would have done a better job?

Jehue himself said he is not in the best of shape, and ran a slower leg than Hewitt's 45.6 leg in the heats.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In defence of Mr Iffy, he had a absolutely rough college season. I will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn has to settle for silver. Good go Keshorn. Rio is the Gold.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

we cyar buy a gold dis rounds

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In defence of Mr Iffy, he had a absolutely rough college season. I will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt here.

So how come his relay buddy Bralon Taplin competed in the open 400m and Shamier Little who also ran 400m, 400m hurdles and 4x400m for Texas A&M ran in the WJCs? I mean when you look at the form charts and you know you have a superb chance at gold based on our performance way back at the World Relays, one would think you'd make the exception and effort to run just the relay.

He's young and probably thinks the opportunity will come again, but as I know it is very rare for T&T to field this amount of in form 400m men running at or under 45 secs at the same time. Who knows what their collective form is going to be in 2015 or 2016. Things happen, leaving athletes to rue wasted opportunities, which has been the recurring sad story in T&T athletics (what if....)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:04:38 PM by STMB »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica wins Womens 4x100m Final - Commonwealth Games 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tdqO8O7vymE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tdqO8O7vymE</a>

Ja women won the 4x100. Our girls were nowhere there. But at least they made the finals. Again, they have massive work to do. If we can't get KAB, MLA and possibly Semoy in the next 2 years, I don't see them going Rio.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:07:06 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So how come his relay buddy Bralon Taplin competed in the open 400m and Shamier Little who also ran 400m, 400m hurdles and 4x400m for Texas A&M ran in the WJCs? I mean when you look at the form charts and you know you have a superb chance at gold based on our performance way back at the World Relays, one would think you'd make the exception and effort to run just the relay.

He's young and probably thinks the opportunity will come again, but as I know it is very rare for T&T to field this amount of in form 400m men running at or under 45 secs at the same time. Who knows what their collective form is going to be in 2015 or 2016. Things happen, leaving athletes to rue wasted opportunities, which has been the recurring sad story in T&T athletics (what if....)

I acknowledge your point and you may be perfectly correct. But he knows his own state of mind.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica's Men win 4x100m in CR time - Commonwealth Games 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fXLhgWC8F80" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fXLhgWC8F80</a>

Bronze for TT in the 4x100. Congrats to all the medalists and all those who gave their all. But overall, we really underperform.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:55:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bronze for TT in the 4x100. Congrats to all the medalists and all those who gave their all. But overall, we really underperform.

ah wonder why other countries elite athletes show why dey are elite and ours are inconsistent.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

ah wonder why other countries elite athletes show why dey are elite and ours are inconsistent.

Actually I thought the sprint relay team was not bad. I think our second leg was not so good. But Sorillo handed off good to Richard who really showed some pace. But yes, the individual performances were disappointing to say the least.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Couldn't have said it any better myself STMB.

Lendore's non appearance after only being selected for the 4x4 relay is a major disappointment for me and we definitely threw away our best chance at winning a gold medal in these Commonwealth Games with his non appearance.

Maybe we should have selected Cedenio instead of Lendore to the 4x4 relay squad as I am sure he would have come and run if he was selected and would have helped us to win 4x400m gold despite being a bit tired after running at the World Junior Champs 2 weeks ago.

These opportunities at winning gold at a major Championships don't come around every year and can be a once in a life time opportunity depending on your luck as an athlete.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:01:32 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Actually I thought the sprint relay team was not bad. I think our second leg was not so good. But Sorillo handed off good to Richard who really showed some pace. But yes, the individual performances were disappointing to say the least.

do you ever have to wonder how Kirani James, Bolt and the shot put girl from New Zealand going to perform? yuh know why? they are consistent.I praying that one day we'll have an athlete that every time they go out their yuh know it go be difficult to beat them

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The what if nation, at least we consistent, we are what if as far as I can tell in all sports, T20 national team aside
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ja women won the 4x100. Our girls were nowhere there. But at least they made the finals. Again, they have massive work to do. If we can't get KAB, MLA and possibly Semoy in the next 2 years, I don't see them going Rio.

We might be stronger medal contenders in Rio with the Women than with the Men in the 4x100m relay, trust me on that.
That Women 4x100m relay team was like our C team and they ran badly especially the first leg and first exchange which was horrible.
In contrast the Men's team was nearer to our A team and could have won silver if they made better baton exchanges in the Final.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:18:11 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

we cyar buy a gold dis rounds

Dat really hard to swallow. Our team failed to win at least one gold medal.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:47:42 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anyway here is how the medal table looks as of right now. Don't expect much change from T&T medal tally. JA and Kenya lead in Track & Field. T&T is #22 overall

http://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/2014/medals/countries

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
do you ever have to wonder how Kirani James, Bolt and the shot put girl from New Zealand going to perform? yuh know why? they are consistent.I praying that one day we'll have an athlete that every time they go out their yuh know it go be difficult to beat them

You are correct. But Usain had time to rest his body. He was not doing much running.Kirani finish school(correct me). I know all ah we upset we did not win a gold, but leh we honour the man wishes nah.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

You are correct. But Usain had time to rest his body. He was not doing much running.Kirani finish school(correct me). I know all ah we upset we did not win a gold, but leh we honour the man wishes nah.

We have such an athlete and her name is Michelle-Lee Ahye.
She just so happened to end up with an injury at the worst possible time.
I honestly believe she would have won gold in the 100m and 200m at these Games and our 4x100m relay team would have medalled if she was not injured.
Also Kai Selvon's absence from the relay team also had a negative impact.
Replace Lisa Wickman and Deborah John in the 4x100m relay final with a fit MLA and Kai Selvon and we would have contested Nigeria for the silver.
Add Kelly-Ann and Hackett to the mix in 2015 at World Champs and 2016 at Rio Olympics we will be contesting with JA and the USA for the gold medal.

I can see our Women's 4x100m relay team being stronger medal contenders than the Men's team by next year when all our fastest legs are back and hopefully healthy.

Imagine our T&T Women's 4x100m relay squad with this line up:

Kamaria Durant or Kai Selvon >> Kelly-Ann Baptiste >> Reyare Thomas or Semoy Hackett >> Michelle-Lee Ahye;

The other girls Deborah John and Lisa Wickham are not yet of A Team speed standard but can be key members of a very useful B Team that can include the upcoming fastest members of our U-20 4x100m relay squad.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:50:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When will KAB return? Is this known officially?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The other girls Deborah John and Lisa Wickham are not yet of A Team speed standard but can be key members

That is the problem with our TF. We definitely need more depth. If our star athlete injured, that's it. The case of MLA. Jehue barely make it for the silver. He had a tough season.  Now we have to double the resources to find and nuture new blood. It too late for new blood for 2016. Is time to look for new blood for 2020.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The other girls Deborah John and Lisa Wickham are not yet of A Team speed standard but can be key members

That is the problem with our TF. We definitely need more depth. If our star athlete injured, that's it. The case of MLA. Jehue barely make it for the silver. He had a tough season.  Now we have to double the resources to find and nuture new blood. It too late for new blood for 2016. Is time to look for new blood for 2020.

Maybe if more emphasis in youth participation in field events was in place to discover talent in those areas then we would have a deeper team with more medal contenders. If other Caribbean countries place most of their emphasis on sprints then that's their business why do we need to follow suit. And yes we've always been a T&F team dependent on one or two athletes for a gold medal
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:50:02 PM by Sando prince »

1]; } ?>